Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

2 hours ago, NextIteration said:

Rudy Giuliani for attorney general, Newt Gingrich for secretary of state, retired Lt. Gen Michael Flynn for defense secretary or national security adviser

Along with Trump, they make up the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

• Love 14

I was waiting for her to mention that, because of Trump, David Duke is running for the senate as a Republican--and got enough support to be in the "legitimate" debate.  Of course, he talked over her, dismissing her point, so she didn't have a chance.

Duke was the official GOP nominee for Louisiana governor....back in 1991. The GOP has had a white supremicist problem for years. Trump didn't turn a reasonable, moderate political party into a bunch of crazy racists; Trump only made it more obvious. In a perverse way, this may be a blessing in disguise in that it has put it all out in the open. 

Bitchell™ pipes up from the background with a question about Comey and the emails.  

This is the headline of every major newspaper in the country - NYT, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Los Angeles Times - and if a reporter didn't ask about it, they are not doing their job. If the press's job was just to advance a candidate/elected official's happy spin, we would have never had the Watergate or Iran-Contra investigations.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

Duke was the official GOP nominee for Louisiana governor....back in 1991. The GOP has had a white supremicist problem for years. Trump didn't turn a reasonable, moderate political party into a bunch of crazy racists; Trump only made it more obvious. In a perverse way, this may be a blessing in disguise in that it has put it all out in the open. 

You're right about that.  Before Drumpf came along some members of the GOP merely spoke in code.  However, some of us weren't fooled.  Sometimes it was so subtle that they had a certain sense of plausible deniability.  It was like Jim Crow morphed into James Crow, Esquire--Jim Crow's more urbane, educated and well-dressed cousin.

Drumpf didn't bother with that and loudly and proudly said what so many were saying in the comfort of their homes, backyard barbecues, churches and country clubs.  However, another thing he did was to make the views of the so-called alt-right and other White nationalist groups mainstream.  That is a frightening development, particularly as their anti-Semitic and racist views become more "acceptable" to some.  They had been planning to take over the GOP for some time and were only waiting for the "right" candidate to come along.  And, they found him in Drumpf.  In their minds, even if Drumpf loses, they still win because they aren't going anywhere.

• Love 6

Andrea was so pleased that Beyonce referenced the "stay home and bake cookies" line that Hilary gave during an interview Andrea had with her back in the nineties.

Did not realize that was an Andrea Mitchell interview. The "cookies" quote really ruffled some right wing feathers and I am somewhat convinced is the root of a good deal of the Hillary animosity we see today. 

• Love 3

Interesting, I had forgotten Andrea Mitchell had prompted that answer. If you watch the whole exchange, Andrea's question was a very valid question about how Clinton avoided conflicts of interest as a private lawyer with a husband who was governor. The response sort of took a life of its own. In retrospect it didn't answer the question. 

The "cookies" quote really ruffled some right wing feathers and I am somewhat convinced is the root of a good deal of the Hillary animosity we see today. 

Agreed and not only right-wing feathers. A fair amount of moderate and even liberal folks found the answer to be elitist and dismissive of other women's choices. It is interesting how at the rally yesterday, Beyonce sort of made it into a statement of triumph. Maybe peoples' views have changed but there are probably people who still find it offensive.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 3

I was watching MTP daily with Chuck Todd for the first time. I was impressed with the discussion topics. Steve Scmidt made a good point the the USA is splitting into winners & losers from globalization & technology. Will there be jobs for male truckers with driverless cars? Will there be jobs for fast food workers with automated ordering at fast food restaurants. ?  Chuck Todd said that there will be the beginning of change in the electoral map. Northern states like Michigan, Penn & Wisconsin could become more red. Southern states like NC & Georgia are trending Democratic. Schmidt said that the UK election & Brexit referendum was the first test of Globalization. The Leave campaign won. The second test is the US election. The third test is the 2017 election in France. The fourth test is the next election in Germany. It was very interesting. I usually tune Steve Schmidt out because I blame him for picking Sarah Palin in 2008. I will listen to him from now on.

I thought Chuck Todd made a good point about the Sanders support & Trump supporters being likely to challenge each party. 

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I've heard multiple interviews/podcasts with Demos' Heather McGhee but I had now idea how gorgeous she is until I finally saw her on Chuck's show today. [/shallow]

Was that the African American panelist on MTP tonight? I didn't catch her name.

• Love 1

Andrea Bitchell was on NBC news tonight saying everything negative she could think of about Hillary & ended up by saying "she brushed me off when I asked her about the emails".  Of course she did, bitch, she's had it up to here with questions about her fucking emails.  I'll be so glad when this is all over & I don't have to listen to her biased reporting.

12 minutes ago, oakville said:

I was watching MTP daily with Chuck Todd for the first time. I was impressed with the discussion topics. Steve Scmidt made a good point the the USA is splitting into winners & losers from globalization & technology. Will there be jobs for male truckers with driverless cars? Will there be jobs for fast food workers with automated ordering at fast food restaurants. ?  Chuck Todd said that there will be the beginning of change in the electoral map. Northern states like Michigan, Penn & Wisconsin could become more red. Southern states like NC & Georgia are trending Democratic. Schmidt said that the UK election & Brexit referendum was the first test of Globalization. The Leave campaign won. The second test is the US election. The third test is the 2017 election in France. The fourth test is the next election in Germany. It was very interesting. I usually tune Steve Schmidt out because I blame him for picking Sarah Palin in 2008. I will listen to him from now on.

I thought Chuck Todd made a good point about the Sanders support & Trump supporters being likely to challenge each party. 

Was that the African American panelist on MTP tonight? I didn't catch her name.

Yes.  http://billmoyers.com/guest/heather-mcghee/

• Love 4

Okay, Chris Matthews and Katy Tur were just talking about Trump using the "P-word" -- I'm afraid to ask, but what word were they talking about?  Why would Trump be talking about the female anatomy that is the "P-word"?  Or is there another word?  (other than the male anatomy that is the "P-word", and why would he be talking about that?)  Again, almost afraid to ask, but very curious! 

36 minutes ago, car54 said:

The person called Cruz a pussy and Trump repeated it.   

Wow, so the rhetoric really has become elevated.  Thanks for the explanation.

• Love 3

Oh for the love of all things holy just say "pussy", it's a word, it is part of a news story, it's not as if they themselves are using the word.

O'Donnell just blew two Republicans (David Frum and some guy who worked for Romney) for announcing that they're voting for Clinton. I guess wveryone is forgiving Frum for whipping up fear and paranoia with all that "axis of evil" nonsense.

Jennifer Granholm was just on Morning Joe stupidly (IMO) projecting ebullient confidence in a Hillary win. Stupidly, because everybody who's for Hillary needs to get out and vote; making it sound like it's in the bag at 8 in the morning will accomplish the opposite result. I truly don't know what she was thinking.

14 hours ago, car54 said:

Chris Christie must be so sad that Bruce Springsteen is appearing for Hillary.

Heh!  I suspect that Governor Christie is even sadder that his name doesn't appear on Drumpf's short list of cabinet positions as of yet.

• Love 3

Rudy truly did lose his cool while talking to Katie Tur @car54.  I thought I was reliving the debate, "No, you're the puppet."

I'm starting to think it's okay to begin drinking the hard alcohol at 1:40 in the afternoon.  No matter what the results, Trump surrogates seem as angry now as Trump supporters.  Guliani was foaming at the mouth.

Edited by Treehugger
  • Love 3

I loved Katy's little laugh as Rudy kept doubling down on his "Hilary paid assassins from ISIS to kill Trump!" line.

(OK, I embellished that last part. . . a little. But she did laugh.)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Treehugger said:

Rudy truly did lose his cool while talking to Katie Tur @car54.  I thought I was reliving the debate, "No, you're the puppet."

I'm starting to think it's okay to begin drinking the hard alcohol at 1:40 in the afternoon.  No matter what the results, Trump surrogates seem as angry now as Trump supporters.  Guliani was foaming at the mouth.

I thought he had a bad case of rabies or something.  I'm actually surprised that his dentures didn't morph into fangs right then and there.

Man, what a fucker he is!  He should save his foaming-at-the-mouth bit for that congressional hearing he will be subpoenaed for.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Granholm was a cheerleader, it still shows. The hell of it is that she's a very capable and engaging speaker when she's not "on". 

Agreed, and I sure would want her on my team.

53 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

I thought he had a bad case of rabies or something.  I'm actually surprised that his dentures didn't morph into fangs right then and there.

Man, what a fucker he is!  He should save his foaming-at-the-mouth bit for that congressional hearing he will be subpoenaed for.

From your mouth . . . .

• Love 4
2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Granholm was a cheerleader, it still shows. The hell of it is that she's a very capable and engaging speaker when she's not "on". 

I thought she was drunk.

• Love 2

I'm ready for tonight! I bought cream puffs, healthy multigrain tortilla chips (heh heh), and a bottle of Prosecco.  After one glass, I'll be able to switch to MSNBC, just as long as I don't have to watch Bri, Bitchell & crazy Chris (am hoping he retires after this campaign).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, car54 said:

Good lord, Rudy is really losing it talking to Katie Tur.

If anyone can tell me what show, or a link to the exchange, I would *love* to see the Tur/Giuliani exchange!  Busy work day, no time to watch the endless speculation.  But that's okay.  Just let this be over as early as possible.  (I know Trump will drag this out for a very, very long time.  He is guaranteed having the cameras show up any time he promises an "announcement", and the cameras will go away once he concedes.  Not that I'm counting my chickens... if Trump wins Florida first thing, it is going to be a very, very long night)

ETA:  Aha, found a link to video.  Why do I torture myself by listening to this nonsense from Giuliani?!  http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/11/08/rudy-giuliani-shouts-down-msnbcs-katy-tur-refuses-condemn-trump-supporters-saying-assassinate-bitch/214394

And, Brian and Rachel have just started to broadcast, 6:00 PM/ET 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

I listened to the Tur/Ghouliani exchange in my car and it was embarrassing for him.  He never gives up with his lying crap.  Katy tried to ask him if Trump would graciously concede if he lost and of course he started babbling about how Gore didn't concede and sued for a recount.  She tried to tell him the recount was automatic and he just kept on about the lawsuit (like Trump is going to do, I guess)   

I love Jennifer Granholm.  She was on fire at the convention.  We need more cheerleaders like her for Hillary.  I didn't see her today so maybe she was celebrating early, lol!  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, SierraMist said:

I listened to the Tur/Ghouliani exchange in my car and it was embarrassing for him.  He never gives up with his lying crap.  Katy tried to ask him if Trump would graciously concede if he lost and of course he started babbling about how Gore didn't concede and sued for a recount.  She tried to tell him the recount was automatic and he just kept on about the lawsuit (like Trump is going to do, I guess)   

I love Jennifer Granholm.  She was on fire at the convention.  We need more cheerleaders like her for Hillary.  I didn't see her today so maybe she was celebrating early, lol!  

I also love Jennifer Granholm, and have known her (that is, been in a meeting or event room with her a few times) since she was Governor.  I have never seen her so giddy as she was on Morning Joe this morning, and it was really early, so I think it was all her, no alcohol involved.  I really thought she was going to have an appointment in the Obama administration -- in 2008, after he was elected, he always had her near him in meetings and at announcements, particularly those that pertained to the auto industry.  She is scary smart and was a great governor. 

5 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

Many thanks, NextIteration!

• Love 4

So Carville starts talking about analytics and then drops the line that "these things are complicated."

No. These things are complicated to you because the people running campaigns are doing things with data that you couldn't even dream of back when you still worked for a living. 

Not wishing ill on the guy, but I hope this is his last election rodeo.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

This is a clear indication of what a Drumpf administration would be like.  Talk about classless!

• Love 1

Welp, this is going to be an evening of "whack-a-mole" with my remote...Chris Matthews interviewing Rudy Guiliani--Whack! We'll see what causes me to whack CNN and come back here (I predict Lewendowski).

An aside about Andrea Mitchell covering Hillary's last rally in NC at midnight last night/today.  I've heightened my viewing when she's on to see what I can see given discussions above.  Anyway, Mitchell starts reporting on the great crowd reactions to the lead-ins Bon Jovi/Gaga, talks about Chelsea, references that Bill got the loudest cheers he has in a while.  Clearly this will culminate in her discussing the uproarious crowd reaction to Hillary (they were bouncing (literally) and yelling and doing the "I Believe That She Will Win" soccer chant for about 30 seconds).  This is obviously where Mitchell will go next.  NOPE---she mentioned nothing about the crowd reaction to Hillary!!!! She started talking about the prior rally in Philly, if I'm recalling correctly.  I laughed out loud when it happened!  Note, she was able to talk about emails, however, a bit later when prompted by the anchor.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Jaded said:

He was being rude and dismissive towards Rachel.

I can't <heart> that, but thanks.  I have to wonder who will be wanting to cover the news going forward. 

1 minute ago, BloggerAloud said:

Chris Matthews talking over and generally being dismissive of the completely qualified Rachel Maddow is such a summation of this year in politics.

1 minute ago, BloggerAloud said:

Chris Matthews talking over and generally being dismissive of the completely qualified Rachel Maddow is such a summation of this year in politics.

I suspect that Chris Matthews will be asked to retire by MSNBC. Podesta is doing a retro speech of Gore's campaign manager in 2000 in refusing to concede the election to Trump.

29 minutes ago, jjj said:

I can't <heart> that, but thanks.  I have to wonder who will be wanting to cover the news going forward. 

I think that Chris Matthews is still furious at Hillary for refusing to endorse his wife when she decided to run for Congress.

Chris Matthews wife lost the democratic primary in Maryland by a large margin. It's payback time.

• Love 1

This was my MSNBC night: It looked bad around 6 pm PT. So I decided to turn everything off for 3 hours...expecting the worse...It's been hard to grapple with, but I turned on MSNBC again.

It's going to be hard watching this channel (I only watch the primetime shows) knowing what we know now.

One of the hardest moments -- listening to Eugene Robinson trying not to cry, swallowing it away.  This only via audio, as we watched the camera pan over the Trumps, post-speech. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, maraleia said:

People we need to turn this network off for good. They have to be held accountable for this devastating turn of events.

I don't think I'll be watching any of these news networks for quite awhile. 

• Love 12