Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I missed the show, but I read an article this morning where Maddow called Conway a liar. There aren't enough words to express my utter delight and satisfaction at reading those words! Let's see if the bottle bleached blonde LIAR has the nerve to respond and/or appear on Maddow's show to defend her lying self.

Where did you read it?

12 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

On MSNBC's website via my FB feed.

Are you talking about the time a few weeks ago when KAC claimed in her interview on TRMS that Roger Ailes was not assisting the campaign, and when it became crystal clear that was not true, Rachel angrily called her out on it?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Padma said:

I have a question about the Scott video. It was so terrible to watch it, and I admit I was sympathetic with the family and critical of the police before I even knew much of anything about it. However, I do have a question that I haven't seen anyone talk about. When the wife calls to her husband near the end, she sounds pretty panicky, "Keith, don't do it!" "Don't do it, Keith!" It really sounded to me like she was trying to stop HIM from some kind of risky behavior (perhaps only risky because of all the police with guns, but still).

Padma, I wondered about that too--I kind of heard several different things in her calling to him--there was that, there was her urging him to get out of the car before they broke the windows to get him out,  but then in another part of the recording ( I can't remember if it was before she told him not to "do it" she called to the police that he didn't have a weapon--but he had an ankle holster for it so maybe she didn't know he had it with him.

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

I am going to have to be sooo drunk to get through the debate tomorrow.

I've already told Mr. ebk that he can watch here on the big TV - I have headphones and XM to listen to baseball...

And I have wine.  Lots of wine.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cattykit said:

Are you talking about the time a few weeks ago when KAC claimed in her interview on TRMS that Roger Ailes was not assisting the campaign, and when it became crystal clear that was not true, Rachel angrily called her out on it?

Yes. And now she's asked Bimbo to deny it since we've since learned she was in those meetings she said she wasn't involved in.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, car54 said:

Padma, I wondered about that too--I kind of heard several different things in her calling to him--there was that, there was her urging him to get out of the car before they broke the windows to get him out,  but then in another part of the recording ( I can't remember if it was before she told him not to "do it" she called to the police that he didn't have a weapon--but he had an ankle holster for it so maybe she didn't know he had it with him.

The "don't do it, Keith" (x2) came right at the end before the gunshots. All the other things before it were so consistent with him not being aggressive but that part got me wondering. Also, I didn't know he had an ankle holster--I know there's still confusion about whether there was a gun. But I wish someone would ask (or I'd hear it) about what she didn't want her husband to do because the shots came after.

After watching Matthews' coverage of the pre-debate stuff tonight, I think I should start drinking now. He wants to find any reason to see DT as presidential.  He's still got it in his head that he's some kind of working class champion.  It's unbelievable, unless he never reads. Or never watches any other MSNBC anchors, which is possible.  It's maddening to listen to him especially cutting off people like Gene and Howard F. who are both so much more informed.                                                         

• Love 4

Chuck Todd had a panel of Mike Murphy, Gwen Ifill, Doris Kearns Goodwin, and Hugh Hewitt.  Murphy is a GOP strategist, Hewitt is a RWNJ hate radio host.  Ifill is a jounalist.  Kearns Goodwin is a historian.  Both of these people are ostensibly objective (or neutral if preferred).  

Uh, Chuckie, where was the 'balance'?  The Democratic strategist and left-wing radio host?  

This is what is wrong with msnbc and the rest of the media.  banghead.gif

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 9

Another question is why does MTP have on the same people all the damn time. Doris and Mike Murphy date back to the Russert era. And neither are "press" strictly speaking. 

There are excellent political beat reporters from not only the major newspapers, but the smaller regional papers as well.  In fact the regional reporters often have a fresher eye because they haven't been indoctrinated into the Beltway cult yet. This should NOT be a hard show to book!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, 33kaitykaity said:

Chuck Todd had a panel of Mike Murphy, Gwen Ifill, Doris Kearns Goodwin, and Hugh Hewitt.  Murphy is a GOP strategist, Hewitt is a RWNJ hate radio host.  Ifill is a jounalist.  Kearns Goodwin is a historian.  Both of these people are ostensibly objective (or neutral if preferred).  

Uh, Chuckie, where was the 'balance'?  The Democratic strategist and left-wing radio host?  

This is what is wrong with msnbc and the rest of the media.  banghead.gif

Yes, Plouffe (or better) and Ed Schultz!  Somehow that panel would have been "biased".  I think Murphy gets some kind of "liberal stand in " points because of being against Trump. Not fair.  (And Hewitt should be completely removed from the MSNBC line-up of guests. He's just a stooge for Trump with NO independent thought. And unpleasant to watch and listen to. )

We don't need political hacks on at all!!! Journalists, historians, professors, -- just try it sometime, MSNBC, okay? I'm so sick of people spinning garbage for a living. Why inflict it on us as "analysis"?

• Love 2

MSNBC won't be inviting Ed Schultz on as a guest as long as he's a shill for Russia Today.

Really wish that Hewitt was in the Fox bubble.  As much as I hate Ted Cruz I can appreciate some of Rick Tyler's insights and as much as I despise Ben Ginsberg of Bush v Gore and Franken v Coleman fame, he can be insightful as well.  Elise Jordan has generally been a delight and I usually appreciate Steve Schmidt and sometimes even Nicolle.  Hewitt?  He's just the male version of KellyAnne Conway.  And as anti-Trump as he was, and astonished that Trump didn't know what the nuclear triad is, he's all rah rah for this monster now.  In my mind both Tyler and Ginsberg will be voting for the unknown independent fella from Utah, if he's on their ballots, Jordan will vote for Johnson and I think that Schmidt and Wallace might ninja vote for Hillary.

Edited by NextIteration
Why do I always think it's Wilson not Tyler?
  • Love 1

I thought the same thing about Hewitt just now--he is so full of crap--I wish Fox would hire him so I'd never see him.

I think Rick Tyler learned a LOT about politics from being cut from the Cruz campaign and I actually find him to be a decent commenter now.
Steve Schmidt and Nicole Wallace are only tolerable when their guy isn't winning.    Once they think they're doing ok, their heads explode.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, stormy said:

Hugh Hewitt has been elevated to premier status.  He was Meet the Press Sunday.

He's deplorable.

He's been on MTP a lot this cycle - he was also front and center at a bunch of the GOP debates, CNN and Fox I think.

It was nice to hear that Carville has been made an MSNBC analyst, he's always good for a laugh.

eta: I keep forgetting to mention that I'm finding all the Clinton/Kaine signs on the Hofstra campus encouraging, these are the kids she needs.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 3

I love Carville, I felt glad to see him and Donna Brazile at the debate--feels like old home week.

Chris Hayes did a nice job of bouncing Omarosa when she would not answer his birther question.

Earlier today, one of the hosts did an informal poll of the students who came to watch and they had to look hard to find a Trump supporter.

• Love 8

The signs are hilarious, like one on a sorry looking unevenly cut,  cardboard paper that said,"The end is near..." By the looks of that cardboard paper, I'd agree. 

Then there's one with Hillary and Trump's face with the word "Yikes!" in between their faces.

Then there was one saying something to the effect of I get my news from FoxNews...

Funny.

• Love 2

I'm getting a headache from grinding my teeth when Brian and Hugh talk and why the hell do they have Andrea Mitchell covering Hillary when she clearly dislikes her so much.   Katie Tur is nicer about Trump and he told her to shut up once.

• Love 3
Just now, NewDigs said:

I wish some MSNBC sound people had coached Trump to not gasp through his nose.  

I remember this tic from a town hall they broadcast. Annoying.

I'm glad no one did ... he's sorely in need of some kind of "nose" therapy/surgery.

• Love 4

Ugh, did they have to go to Chris Christie?  He will not deviate from his surrogate script.  "If we are going to rely on the fact checkers, well, they have an agenda, too, and we can talk about them."  Yes, an agenda to get at the truth. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 7

So happy I missed Hewitt! Maybe he was on beforehand. I thought the Christie interview was kind of funny because you could tell the Trump camp wasn't happy (when they're happy, they're loud and obnoxious, not subdued and trying to sound reasonable).

I was watching CNN for a while, turned to MSNBC afterwards, enjoyed Rachel, Gene, Schmidt, even Chuck, tolerating BriWi. Andrea, not so much. Flipped back to CNN which had come off the debate with Jake Tapper saying almost exactly what Todd did "first 30 min. very strong and then he faded and was often incoherent (or worse). I had to turn off Dana Bash whose idea of giving her "analysis" was to tell us what the Trump people just told her.

Anyway, left CNN for MSNBC then returned to CNN where...there was a new panel...Jeffrey Lord, the obnoxious Trump blonde who isn't Kellyanne, and two Clinton surrogates. No one else, just the four of them arguing it out.  What a hideous waste of airtime!!!! There is no purpose whatsoever in having that. Did the CNN anchors need a bathroom break? That was kind of a disgrace. Who wants to hear from THOSE people?

At least the Schmidt-Tyler-Wallace's aren't CURRENT spokesmen for a particular campaign (Hewitt belongs with the CNN group or, as others said, on FOX).  So even though I resent listening to surrogates on MSNBC, too, at least they're not actually working for the campaign (Hewitt is, but most of the others don't seem in it for Trump regardless of what happens, so they're tolerable.)  And, just because I'm super partisan myself, I kind of loved Matthews saying how she hit it out of the park five times.  No mincing words there!

• Love 4

I watched this fucking debate stone cold sober, so I don't understand how so many think that Orangutan was good the first 45 minutes. It didn't take him long to resort to childhood tantrum, petulant behavior, interrupting, etc.

Christie was a fucking joke, and I continue to remain confuzzled at the focus group that said they didn't like Hillary for...reasons.

And from his responses in the Spin Room, that Orangutan thinks he "won" the debate.

And wow, Nicolle Wallace was actually...tolerable.

• Love 16

Paraphrasing Michael Beschloss "I expected Donald Trump to study and come out looking presidential" 

Dude, you're a historian. Have you looked at the history of this man?

Loved Richard Engel comparing Trump's foreign policy to a Mafia extortion racket. (I noticed his title is Chief Foreign Correspondent. Isn't he their only foreign correspondent?)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 10
55 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It didn't take him long to resort to childhood tantrum, petulant behavior, interrupting, etc.

And since he got away with that, there will probably be two more debates.  I was watching to see if he threw a tantrum and went home, hopefully never to be seen again.   I thought Hillary did well, but smiled way too much, while Donald's endless snivelling was annoying,  I liked that she called him Donald.  He started out with Secretary Clinton, but went back to Hillary later.  I noticed recently that USHOR Speaker Ryan refers to him as Donald too.  

Richard Engel was just on and he looked exhausted to the point where I'm hoping he's ok. It also looked like he threw on his tie without checking to make sure it looked neat. His appearance kinda worried me for a second.

Richard Engel is in so many time zones that I always suspect he is so busy trying to figure out his local time and the local time at the other end of the camera.  So, I don't worry about his appearance. 

Wow, just saw a dystopian advertisement on MSNBC from Trump & Co. with dark shadows, accusations, and comparison of HRC to Nixon.  He's your party, Donald. 

Now they are showing the "stamina" section of the debate.  I was thinking it would be cool (but very un-Presidential) to do what Jack Palance did at the Oscars many years ago, getting up to the podium and then proving his stamina by doing one-arm push-ups on stage.

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, jjj said:

Wow, just saw a dystopian advertisement on MSNBC from Trump & Co. with dark shadows, accusations, and comparison of HRC to Nixon.  He's your party, Donald. 

Now they are showing the "stamina" section of the debate.  I was thinking it would be cool (but very un-Presidential) to do what Jack Palance did at the Oscars many years ago, getting up to the podium and then proving his stamina by doing one-arm push-ups on stage.

I am surprised at the number of Drumpf ads running on MSNBC.  Somehow that doesn't seem to be me to be his target audience.  I don't watch it, but does anyone know if Hillary's campaign runs ads on Faux News?

I think it would have funny, but probably would have been considered a low blow, if HRC had obsequiously inquired after Drumpf's health, with all the sniffling he did.

Chris Matthews insisting HRC pitched a five run shutout is somewhat surprising coming from him.  I felt bad for Rachel having to co-anchor with BriWi (who said 'corollarily' again!  Irk!).  The post-midnight panel hosted now by CM is much more interesting than the earlier one with Rachel and BriWi.

I watched the debate live on C-span, which didn't do split screen, so I'm fascinated by the discussion of the impact of the split screen as shown on the networks.

• Love 2

Watching the rebroadcast, it appears that Trump was upset with his family and staff after the debate. Wallace tried to say that maybe they were discussing take out, Maddow thought that it was something more. I agree with Maddow. I hope that they were telling him that he sucked! 

Did anyone see Howard Dean's tweet? 

• Love 4
On 9/25/2016 at 9:51 PM, car54 said:
On 9/25/2016 at 4:42 PM, Padma said:

Sorry I can't delete these quote boxes.

Chris Matthews was SO happy after the debate.  It was a huge contrast to his reaction after the first presidential debate between Mitt and Obama in 2012.  CHris was so upset I was afraid he would have a stroke on air.

8 hours ago, jjj said:

Chris Hayes is doing the best live tweeting that I can find (there may be more!)  https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/with_replies 

Can't tell where he is, but hope he is part of that large, large panel that BW told us about.

Okay, good to know.  I'm not adept at Twitter, so I just found Bill Maher and stayed.  (Nothing to write home about. >g<)

I was not happy to hear they had Chris Christie lined up, but I ended up content that he was so uncomfortable--he was close to running his forefinger around the inside of his shirt collar.  And then Carville came along with his avuncular chuckle, all loosey-goosey in front of his cacti--and obliterated Christie like a dry-erase board being wiped.

I had to turn off Dana Bash whose idea of giving her "analysis" was to tell us what the Trump people just told her.

Did you see Kelleyanne Conway?  When she was interviewed after the debate, she just kept saying, "No, he said ___________________"--and then proceeded to quote him word-for-word.  Extremely poor spin performance.

As usual, I'd like to be curled up with a glass of wine on the end of Rachel Maddow's couch when she gets home, so I could be privy to her unabridged thoughts.

Edited by candall
threw in some Conway shade--never enough of that.
  • Love 8

I wonder if Howard Dean is going to get in trouble at MSNBC for his tweet wondering if Trump was sniffing because he'd done cocaine.

I feel like Chris Matthews is getting very wandery and vague---I think they had Chris Hayes out there with him to help keep him on track.   Big Chris was certainly very excited at how things went down.

• Love 3

I think the most surprising thing about the post debate analysis was how surprised many analysts were that Trump wasn't more "presidential". Have they been watching the guy for the last year?

During the first years of the Gulf War, columnist Tom Friedman wrote a series of editorials in which he declared "The next six months are crucial to determining the outcome. . " Six months would pass with no significant change and Friedman would again write "The next six months. . ."  He eventually became the object of ridicule for his repeated incorrect predictions.

All of the analysts who repeatedly talk about a pivot for the Trump campaign should be subjected to similar ridicule. 

• Love 8

Totally agree that the media set the bar so much lower for Trump than Clinton -- and MSNBC let the spin happen beforehand (for a week) that "of course Hillary will do better, she has prepared and Trump will be Trump".  So, she *had* to do better just to stay even.

This was set up so that Clinton was expected to appear with her pencil case and color-coded folders and PowerPoint slides in her head, while Trump was expected to show up looking for a place to spit out his gum and high-five all the relatives and white males he could find.  And both of those then would have fulfilled expectations.  And they did. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 13