Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

I think if workplace has a boss who's okay with people stealing each other's food, if they're then also okay with people poisoning each other then IMO that is a place no one should have to work unless they're a sociopath. That would literally be a toxic workplace. Whatever, I've seen too many instances where people have tried to retaliate against bullies in potentially (or straight up) dangerous ways and they ended up getting in hot water themselves, especially if as a result their targets got hospitalized or worse. I don't think there's any moral equivalence between stealing a coworker's food and deliberately putting someone's health/life at risk. I get the personal satisfaction of striking back at bullies but I don't see putting oneself in potential legal peril to do it unless there is 100% no chance of it blowing back on you.

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:58 AM, Petunia13 said:

I work at a start up I told one of the owners because she came in my office to blab about the excel shit. She didn't really care she was like "well we all share here and you can eat from the office food or my food.."

What an ass … She'll say anything to deflect personal responsibility for owning and operating a snakepit.

At my first job out of college, the receptionist warned me that the lunchroom refrigerator was named Open Season. I bought a 2nd hand hardbody lunch cooler and installed a hasp for a padlock (if you're uncertain of the purchase and install, take the cooler to a hardware store and explain your predicament, and they will be able to assist you, they might help you put it together), and a motion alarm. Once enabled, if the cooler was tapped, the alarm went off like a air-raid siren -- Good times.

Lock and alarm your lunch in your work area, then take the owner at her word -- Steal any new lunch that takes your fancy. It's not necessary that you eat it, just make the lunch unavailable when it's wanted; You can toss the stolen lunch out off-site … Or if you really want to dive them around the bend, return it after the lunch owner goes out to find nourishment or put it back in the refrigerator the next day. Nab lunches once or twice a week or go on a spree and leave an empty, dirty refrigerator behind; fuck with these people the same spirit they fuck with you, If you are accused, tell the accuser the owner said all the food in the refrigerator is free to be taken by anyone at anytime, and you've joined in on that Free Range Philosophy -- Don't forget to smile while you stick the knife in.

If you don't have a secure office and desk lock, install one or carry everything personal in and out of the office every time you leave the office. Nail whoever comments to the wall when asked about carrying luggage in and out of the office: "Someone is a thief, and I'm not donating any more of my personal property to their life of petty crime."

I'm vegan and try to eat organic that is the point in my buying or bringing a lunch. I know it was deliberate because of my "weird" (to them) food. Also I looked through the garbages and the packaging wasn't in them. They tried to hide it by ripping up or putting in purse. 

I don't care how "weird" your diet might appear to others, there's no excuse for the owner to treat your stolen lunch as a regular day in the workplace. There's no excuse for your phone charger or tea to be stolen, or your stapler taken, or be preyed upon in a war-zone that's supposed to be a place of business.

I think if it's my own meal I can't be punished if I did put laxitive in it and it is stolen and eaten. It's my property and maybe I am constipated. I wouldn't, but that I don't think would be wrong. If someone brings a bottle of ibuprofen in and I snagged a few from their bottle without asking and a different med like amoxicillin was mixed in, I would have an allergic reaction and it would be my own fault. It's about respect I mentioned my phone charger was taken and never returned and I also brought in a herbal tea sampler in my office and someone took all lemon zinger. I don't like that flavor best but it's like, seriously? ?I just really dislike this place I'm going to work this afternoon and will be the only one in the entire company (I can see who is logged on Skype and in crm see recent activity) and it's solely because of the intense guilt tripping and nagging directed at me. I'd rather be playing with George and doing some activism for Boknal. 

Don't put yourself in a position where you could be arrested for assault, and definitely don't touch a co-workers presumed bottle of Ibuprofen (you don't know what these people are involved with). 

Protect yourself and your property. Focus on doing your job. Keep careful notes and information on your sales calls, customers and treatment by your co-workers when you sue these assholes. Learn everything you can about your job every day. Double down on your job search efforts. 

Fuck these people and their vindictive behavior. They don't own you, unless if you buy into the idea they're correct to treat you disrespectfully. And that's a different problem.

Everyone wants to be somewhere else, Petunia. That's why they call it work.

• Love 7

HURRAY!!!  all 12 boys and coach rescued....now, they are just waiting for the last of the divers/rescuers to come out..

now, the boys will have to heal....hopefully, they won't have ptsd but that is a worry...

• Love 8
(edited)
On 7/4/2018 at 6:16 PM, Snaporaz said:

More pets go missing on July 4th than any other day of the year.  Even confident, well-adjusted animals can get spooked by firecrackers and fireworks, and they run away in fear. 

We had some bad thunderstorms the other day, and my Lilly, who stays clear of the door when I go out, tried to escape when I went to work.  Needless to say, I cried off & on all day thinking about it :(

@Petunia13, George is too freaking cute!

@Cupid Stunt I feel like an idiot, I always thought "Bay City" Rollers meant they were from San Francisco *buries head in ground in shame*

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 7
(edited)

i get to hug an owl all the time....

her name is spotted owl, she's my daughter and is a brownie leader.....

the other one is hootie owl...

she's my grand and is a pathfinder and helps with the brownie troop.

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Love 6

'Wendi Winters saved my life': Capital Gazette staff say their fallen colleague charged the shooter

When a man with a shotgun shattered the glass door of the Capital Gazette newspaper office and began to shoot, Wendi Winters stood up…

Janel Cooley, a survivor of the shooting that killed Winters and four others, spoke about her experience for the first time in an interview with The Capital. She said she watched from under her desk as the 20-year newspaper veteran rose to meet her attacker.

Winters charged forward holding a trash can and recycling bin, said Cooley, a sales consultant. Winters shouted something like, “No! You stop that!” or “You get out of here!” like she was warding off an unwanted dog.

“She may have distracted him enough that he forgot about me because I definitely stood up and was looking at the door,” Cooley said. “I’m sure he wasn’t expecting … anyone to charge him.”

Winters’ colleagues agree she saved their lives. Of the 11 employees in the office during the attack, six survived…

Winters once gave fellow reporter Rachael Pacella the shirt off her back when Pacella spilled gasoline on her clothes before an important interview. She checked in on photojournalist Paul W. Gillespie incessantly after his brother died. Intern Anthony Messenger, who started at The Capital weeks before the attack, said Winters always tried to make him feel comfortable.

From the details her family has of the attack, Winters’ son Phoenix Geimer said, “It sounds like her.”…

Davis has a snapshot in his mind of everyone where they were when the gunman blasted in, he said. Winters was originally at her desk. Messenger said he remembers seeing Winters there with a puzzled look on her face as the attack began.

As Pacella and Davis hid, they heard the same shots Cooley did. Then there was a pause. They thought it was over.

The pause, Davis said, could have been Winters intervening. It gave Pacella time to get up from under her desk, run for the back door and then hide between filing cabinets.

“I think that Wendi doing what she did served as enough of a distraction that maybe he didn’t see us,” Pacella said. “I absolutely think that Wendi Winters saved my life.”

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

do any of our us preverts get any candian channels?

just curious because we canadians get us channels...

I get CBC and I love watching Murdoch Mysteries and The Great British Bake Off.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I get CBC and I love watching Murdoch Mysteries and The Great British Bake Off.

only cbc?  

don't know why, but i'm kinda surprised at that...i mean we get so many us channels here..

• Love 3

when i was a kid, before cable, our tv antenna got the channels from seattle and tacoma...

when i was very young, i remember wanda wanda at lunch time on king i think it was.

and one of my fave shows as a kid, was sky king...used to sit in the chestnut tree with some friends and we would pretend to fly the planes...

• Love 4
(edited)

"Wunda Wunda is my name, oh boys and girls I'm glad you came." She would sit in her little magical house and read childrens letters to her. I loved her. Then there was JP Patches. Did you ever get see him? He was a clown (not the scary kind) who lived at the City Dump. He used to have puppies and kittens on who needed homes. I got one of the puppies for Christmas.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

"Wunda Wunda is my name, oh boys and girls I'm glad you came." She would sit in her little magical house and read childrens letters to her. I loved her. Then there was JP Patches. Did you ever get see him? He was a clown (not the scary kind) who lived at the City Dump. He used to have puppies and kittens on who needed homes. I got one of the puppies for Christmas.

yes, that's the song....

and yup. jp patches was also a favourite.

it's a time gone by...

• Love 3

In the 90s there was a a small trend towards Canadian tv being syndicated in the US for teens @Anna Yolei where you at? I know you watched some of this shit too! ? Degrassi, Fifteen (a soap w v low budget and Ryan Reynolds), Criss Cross (a boring boarding school show), Ready or Not (2 Besties in a Judy Blume type serial drama), there was a teleporting teens one too you could tell cuz they'd say "sore-y", Breaker High (Ryan Gosling was my crush as scammer teen Sean and I shipped him and Tamara. Persia White was also on it she later starred on Girlfriends as Lynn a totally opposite character). 

Degrassi was my shit. I watched the reruns of the OG one w my sister ?everybody wants something, they never give up. Everybody wants something. They'll take your monayyy, and never give up.? -The Zit Remedy. Joey Jeremiah was such a dork. 

Later, I watched Next Generation I loved Craig, Spinner, and Emma. Then Palex. That show was ? 

• Love 3

Leaving work, I came across a woodpecker and a female cardinal on the same tree. And on my way into work, I saw a white-breasted nuthatch. The area where I work gets the coolest birds. All my area seems to get are robins, pigeons, seagulls and crows. And sometimes sparrows. I need to move closer to work, heh. 

Also, I remember Breaker High. I liked the big, funny guy. I'm blanking on his name. Tyler Levin? I'm too lazy to google. 

• Love 5

Mmm, re Canadian TV, you'll find me in the Dorothy Parker Piano Lounge, wondering if it's too early for a G & T.

I never liked Canadian TV shows--they seemed frowsy and dull. As kids, we avoided all Canadian stuff in favour of whatever crap was on the three Buffalo stations--in my case, mainly to absorb the ads for stuff we couldn't get in Toronto: Buster Brown shoes [featuring the snarky-looking dog in the logo], Bosco chocolate syrup, and all the untold delights available at A M & A department store--that last one was a big delusion because my late father was an exec at Eatons, a much better store, and deeply missed by most Canadians.

And I still avoid Canadian shows--don't get me started--and now, Jack Wagner in a Mountie dress scarlet! There was one exception, though, and I really enjoyed it: a Canadian/Hungarian coproduction, X Company https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4338336/

There. I said something nice about Canadian TV.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

XCompany was such a great programme. The acting was stellar and story was so intriguing. I wish it had last longer. 

Me too!

Initially, I just took a look at it because I'd always been interested in Camp X, just east of TO. But I got hooked really fast!

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Waldo13 said:

My son-in-law works for a major data storage company and they don't operate that way.  Because of the major data involved, the storage company can't summarily void a contract.  Also, contracts are long term and are 99.9% geared to the customer's benefit. Storage houses are mostly anonymous, to the public, and NE wouldn't have an effect on their additional business. 

Thank you for confirming what I thought was a ludicrous storyline. Every time Neil, or Victur, or Ashley starts talking about this 'big move' by Neil all I can hear is the phrase: That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works!

Edited by granderobino
Wrong thread, but due to technical issues, I'm unable to move it. Damn lightening storms
  • Love 6
(edited)

We had Thing1's birthday party last night. Her ring tone is Everything Is Awesome! from the Lego Movie

So I organized a Princess Unikitty-themed party

e9e264b9eb9811822a84a07d8e1a62cb.jpg

Everything Was Awesome!

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, valleycliffe said:

are any of them global?  do you get the cdn eppy of y&r?

Yes, but I don't watch it for the same reason I don't read the Canadian Spoiler folder, or read Soap magazines/interweb sites. I'm tying to observe Show as broadcast in my location, and given information of future events doesn't improve my experience watching Y&R. Considering Maleficent is killing Y&R for me, watching tomorrow's Show today isn't going to make it better.

About 70% of the time I watch Y&R on the CBS feed at work, or watch the U.S. broadcast I record at home.

The Canadian news broadcasting and kid's programming is superior to the U.S.

On a sad note, Zsa Zsa dies weeks after being dubbed 'World's Ugliest Dog'

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

We had Thing1's birthday party last night. Her ring tone is Everything Is Awesome! from the Lego Movie

So I organized a Princess Unikitty-themed party

e9e264b9eb9811822a84a07d8e1a62cb.jpg

Everything Was Awesome!

Yes, but I don't watch it for the same reason I don't read the Canadian Spoiler folder, or read Soap magazines/interweb sites. I'm tying to observe Show as broadcast in my location, and given information of future events doesn't improve my experience watching Y&R. Considering Maleficent is killing Y&R for me, watching tomorrow's Show today isn't going to make it better.

About 70% of the time I watch Y&R on the CBS feed at work, or watch the U.S. broadcast I record at home.

The Canadian news broadcasting and kid's programming is superior to the U.S.

On a sad note, Zsa Zsa dies weeks after being dubbed 'World's Ugliest Dog'

Happy Birthday to Thing1!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Happy Birthday to Thing1!

Thank you, Peaches.

She turned 21, and in keeping with celebrating her full majority we played board games, watched cartoons, had Princess Unikitty piñatas and swag bags,

il_570xN.1106711717_m07n.jpg?version=0

Schlotzsky's sandwiches/flat bread slices/salads, Princess Unikitty cupcakes and an ice cream sundae bar. 

It was a hoot how much fun her friends and the family had participating in a Lego-theme surprise party. Thing1 was all grins this morning.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Thank you, Peaches.

She turned 21, and in keeping with celebrating her full majority we played board games, watched cartoons, had Princess Unikitty piñatas and swag bags,

il_570xN.1106711717_m07n.jpg?version=0

Schlotzsky's sandwiches/flat bread slices/salads, Princess Unikitty cupcakes and an ice cream sundae bar. 

It was a hoot how much fun her friends and the family had participating in a Lego-theme surprise party. Thing1 was all grins this morning.

Now THAT'S a party!!!

Thing1 and 2 have a pretty great mom.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, boes said:

Now THAT'S a party!!!

Thing1 and 2 have a pretty great mom.

I do love to put throw a bash!

My children are the result of the support of untold numbers of people helping Mr.Stunt and I. We couldn't have done it without them, and we owe them our eternal gratitude.

• Love 8
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I do love to put throw a bash!

My children are the result of the support of untold numbers of people helping Mr.Stunt and I. We couldn't have done it without them, and we owe them our eternal gratitude.

I believe it. It really does take a village. 

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yeah, good grief at the clickbait headlines referring to him as a former Y&R star, More like nameless character day player.

My apologies for forcing you to use the interwebs.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

George isn't feeling well ? I'm hoping he feels perkier and better by tomorrow. He started being mopey this afternoon. 

Is it hot?  Maybe that's it?

• Love 5

It started mid afternoon while he was at my mother's. Being mopey and kinda limping and making a weird face at her. He has what appeared to be a mosquito bite on the arm that limps it was much larger and is now a bit smaller. I'm hoping it's just the heat and his arm being sore.

i wish dogs and cats could just talk to us and say "hey I have a migraine" "my leg hurts I had a charley horse." "Stop playing that stupid song!" "This dog food gives me heartburn damnit."

I think though if animals could talk to us plainly we'd be horrified by our cruelty and have to face the reality that they are sentient feeling personalities.

i hope my boy feels better soon he is my entire heart. 

• Love 9

Mosquitos are carriers of the heartworm parasite, and I recently read a California Department of Agriculture notification about West Nile Virus prevention (also passed on by mosquito bites). Human and animal West Nile infections have been identified primarily in the southern/gulf coast states, with a couple on the Wisconsin/Michigan border this summer. 

Whatever has George down, a bug bite that causes a welt with a limp needs to be watched carefully in a small dog. If he's perked up and eating/drinking normally, that's a good sign. You know what to do if the bitten area and leg are still tender, and he's not back to his usual Georgie self by tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

i wish dogs and cats could just talk to us and say "hey I have a migraine" "my leg hurts I had a charley horse." "Stop playing that stupid song!" "This dog food gives me heartburn damnit."

I think though if animals could talk to us plainly we'd be horrified by our cruelty and have to face the reality that they are sentient feeling personalities.

My cat is a misanthrope, I'm the one of the few humans he tolerates; the less I hear of Melvin's disappointment in humankind the better. I have my own list of grievances -- Get in line, cat.

Most people aren't trying to harm their pets or mistreat them; we misunderstand each other because we don't acknowledge the same signals and means of communication. Taking the time to observe behavior that is out of the norm is a good start.

When we take on the responsibility of animal ownership, their well-being is a reflection of our commitment and devotion. 

• Love 7