Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I like turtles. 

Changed my hair color. Took over three hours and over $200 dollars but it's worth it. I feel pretty again, heh. 

what colour do you have now jewel21?

how's steve mcqueen doing nowadays?

• Love 4

It's a long auburn wig. My natural coloour is auburn but now it has so much white in it it became a constant hassle to keep the color up with hair color so I went champagne blonde. But I miss my auburn, It's just a cheap wig from Amazon and I would never wear it out. I am going to surprise hubby when he gets back next time he goes out of town.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's a long auburn wig. My natural coloour is auburn but now it has so much white in it it became a constant hassle to keep the color up with hair color so I went champagne blonde. But I miss my auburn, It's just a cheap wig from Amazon and I would never wear it out. I am going to surprise hubby when he gets back next time he goes out of town.

oooh la la.....trashy fenmore lingerie too? ;)

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

I only short walk him on coldest hours of day/night, my parents house ac was cold and he had a bath. He has a terry cloth bathrobe too. 

George has got the BEST life!!

• Love 9

Happy Canada Day to our wonderful neighbors!  I hope you don't hate us, but I wouldn't blame you if you're planning to build a wall on your southern border right about now.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

what colour do you have now jewel21?

how's steve mcqueen doing nowadays?

It's auburn again. But a different shade of red, less intense and bright. Because we had to use an eraser to strip the old color before going back to auburn, it looks like I have reddish highlights as well. When I go back for a touch-up, we'll see if I want to increase the red or make it more brown, etc. I haven't washed it yet so I'll get a better idea of what it'll look like tomorrow. 

Steve is good, eating like a little piggy which makes me very happy. He's also been waking me up all weekend at 7 AM demanding to be let out of his cage. Then he belts into song. A half hour later, he's trying to go back to bed but I'm wide awake by that point, heh. He's lucky he's cute. 

• Love 9
(edited)

My spirit animal is the deer. I am happy, they are gorgeous creatures. 

And my Chinese zodiac is a metal monkey. I've known this for years, though. 

ETA: Thank you, Snaporaz. And I could never hate you!

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, boes said:

George has got the BEST life!!

George is living the proverbial Dog's Life.

13 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Happy Canada Day to our wonderful neighbors!  I hope you don't hate us, but I wouldn't blame you if you're planning to build a wall on your southern border right about now.

Sorry about the belligerent tweets and other nonsense; it's discouraging isn't it? Thank you for being gracious neighbors and have a great holiday!

• Love 8

Alan Longmuir, founding member of Scottish pop band The Bay City Rollers, has died at age 70. He died in the hospital "surrounded by loved ones" after being flown home from Mexico, where he had contracted an illness while on vacation. 

Longmuir was born on June 20, 1948 at the Simpson Memorial Maternity Pavilion Hospital in Edinburgh. The son of a Co-op undertaker, he was brought up in the family's flat on Caledonian Road where he was surrounded by music from a young age. It was no surprise he became a musician, Longmuir would explain in interviews, as his aunt was a great pianist and father played the accordion -- "there was always music around as I grew up". 

He discovered rock and roll aged 10 when he saw Elvis Presley star in the movie Jailhouse Rock, and would go onto found the band that would become the Bay City Rollers at age 17, in 1965, together with his brother Derek, cousin Neil Porteous, Nobby Clarke and Dave Pettigrew. Beloved as the "Tartan teen sensations from Edibburgh", the Bay City Rollers - initially known as The Saxons - went on to become one of the biggest pop bands of their time. 

They had a hit with "Remember" in 1973 and went onto release a string of hugely successful songs including "All Of Me Loves All Of You", "Shang-a-Lang" and "I Only Want To Be With You". Their cover of Bob Crew and Bob Gaudio's "Bye Bye Baby" enjoyed six weeks on the UK Singles Chart in 1975 and sold a million copies. They scored a US No.1 with their song "Saturday Night".

The band went through several lineup changes during their career, with multi-instrumentalist Longmuir being replaced by rhythm guitarist Ian Mitchell. His departure caused so much hysteria among fans that it prompted questions in the House of Commons about how one pop star could have so much influence over young people. Longmuir returned to the group in 1978 and last played with them in a 2016 series of reunion concerts.  

The Bay City Rollers are symbolic for the tragicomic spirit found in the Scots, a kind of 20th-century absurdist equivalent 'We like a party!' in the face of disillusionment, with skiffle-tinged giddy pop music as a bookend to the British post-punk generation. Pop culture was the gateway into other music forms like the tartan-pop tomfoolery of the Rollers. There's something in the Scottish spirit, a yearning, and romanticism. And this longing, this sadness, does come out in the music. Maybe it's a working-class thing, forever the underdogs.

There’s a lexicon associated with the Scottish character: hardy (the weather), passionate (alcohol), brave (heart), defiant (politics), romantic in the face of almost certain defeat (the national football team), dour (“We’re doomed!”), funny in the face of constant adversity (Renton from Trainspotting’s primal howl, “It’s shite being Scottish! We’re colonized by wankers!”). All of this, with the hardship endured in ruined post-industrial cities, the beautiful, brutal landscape, and the isolation from London’s seat of economic power courses through the Scottish consciousness. But there’s also a feistiness and determination to find joy, if only for a laugh and good time. What are the Scots yearning for? Probably to get out of the slums of Glasgow. and so it came to pass for The Bay City Rollers.

Longmuir is survived by his wife Eileen, step sons, sisters Betty and Alice, and his brother Derek, along with his son Jordan by his first wife Jan. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Two days of well over 30C [40-odd with humidex], and time to get my hot-weather bitching into high gear.

The TO slogan: "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

And mio vecchio Snaporaz, who wouldn't adore you?

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, pearlite said:

Two days of well over 30C [40-odd with humidex], and time to get my hot-weather bitching into high gear.

The TO slogan: "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

7 hours ago, jewel21 said:

It was 47 Celsius with the humidex yesterday and today is another scorcher. I'm not a happy camper. 

That's nasty!

In SoCal it's the heat, and it slo-cooks the brain to do very bad things.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Listening to the most amazing straight-ahead jazz in Starbucks of all places. I can't believe it.

Spotify creates Starbucks playlist. It's available on their Premium service. 

Prolific composer, producer, engineer, and musician Richard Swift died this morning in Tacoma, Washington. He was 41.

Last month, it was revealed that Swift had been hospitalized due to a “life-threatening condition,” and a GoFundMe page had been launched to cover his medical bills. 

In addition to releasing music as a solo artist, Swift was also a member of the Shins from 2011 to 2016, was the touring bassist for the Black Keys in 2014, and played drums for the Arcs. He also played keyboards for Starflyer 59 early in his career. As a producer, he worked with Foxygen, Guster, the Mynabirds, Sharon Van Etten, Ray LaMontagne, Tennis, Damien Jurado, Pure Bathing Culture, and many others. Swift founded and owned National Freedom, a recording studio in Cottage Grove, Oregon.

Swift was born in California. He grew up living in Minnesota, Utah, and Oregon before eventually moving back to Southern California to pursue music. While working at a studio called the Green Room in Huntington Beach, Swift made his first records -- Walking Without Effort and The Novelist -- during his off hours in the early 2000s. (A self-taught musician and producer, he played most instruments and engineered the entire project). He signed to Secretly Canadian and re-released the psychedelic folk projects as The Richard Swift Collection Vol. 1 in 2005. Swift’s last solo full-length under his own name was 2009’s The Atlantic Ocean. In 2016, he released a collaborative covers album with Damien Jurado.

• Love 5
(edited)

The whole famdamily is going to my parent's for the Fourth. There's a parade, a rodeo, fried food on a stick, several beer trucks, and explosives. 

Excellent!

happy-4th-of-july-amazing-colorful-firew

Have a great holiday, Preverts!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 12

In honor of July the 4TH:

Great miniseries, amazing performances, terrific score.

I live pretty close by to Colonial Williamsburg.  Every Saturday the Fife and Drum Corps marches down Duke of Gloucester Street.  I've watched them dozens of times and I cry every time.  As they say in the John Adams miniseries after the Declaration of Independence is read publicly:  God Bless Our American States. 

• Love 6

i was watching american pickers and one of the episodes had to deal with "iron eyes cody"..

he was in lots of movies and went on tours with his teepee..

during the show, it came out that he was an ACTOR playing the part of an american indian....he was actually born in sicily to sicilian parents...

he sure looked like he was native american tho.

• Love 4

so, this morning i got a pkg by courier.

i opened it cause i had forgot i wasn't supposed to until after liz and rey get her in 2 wks...

anyway, it is a velour throw i guess you would call it.

about 2 mos. ago, the husband sent her a scan disk in the mail with pictures of us / the family etc...

anyway, the velour throw has some of the pictures on it.  it's beautiful..

my girls when they were babies, the husband and i on vaction in san francisco, the grands....

i can't wait to hug her in thanks....oh, it is my early birthday present from her and rey..

• Love 9

More pets go missing on July 4th than any other day of the year.  Even confident, well-adjusted animals can get spooked by firecrackers and fireworks, and they run away in fear. 

Here are a few things you can do to keep your Preverted Furry Friends safe today :  Keep them indoors in a quiet room, especially if you are hosting a party.  Even indoor-only pets can slip outside if they get scared enough, so make sure they are wearing collars with current ID tags that include your contact information, even if they are microchipped.  If you have a Thundershirt, that could help keep them calm.  Soft music or white noise machines or even a fan can also help.  Leave your pets at home if you are going to watch fireworks, and give them big cuddles when you get back!

Happy 4th, everyone!

• Love 10
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, valleycliffe said:

so, this morning i got a pkg by courier.

i opened it cause i had forgot i wasn't supposed to until after liz and rey get her in 2 wks...

anyway, it is a velour throw i guess you would call it.

about 2 mos. ago, the husband sent her a scan disk in the mail with pictures of us / the family etc...

anyway, the velour throw has some of the pictures on it.  it's beautiful..

my girls when they were babies, the husband and i on vaction in san francisco, the grands....

i can't wait to hug her in thanks....oh, it is my early birthday present from her and rey..

Liz and Rey Valleycliffe are sweet young'uns.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Snaporaz said:

More pets go missing on July 4th than any other day of the year.  Even confident, well-adjusted animals can get spooked by firecrackers and fireworks, and they run away in fear. 

Here are a few things you can do to keep your Preverted Furry Friends safe today :  Keep them indoors in a quiet room, especially if you are hosting a party.  Even indoor-only pets can slip outside if they get scared enough, so make sure they are wearing collars with current ID tags that include your contact information, even if they are microchipped.  If you have a Thundershirt, that could help keep them calm.  Soft music or white noise machines or even a fan can also help.  Leave your pets at home if you are going to watch fireworks, and give them big cuddles when you get back!

Happy 4th, everyone!

Excellent pet advice, Snaporaz.

Melvin has learned when the suitcases come out he goes to the kennel or there's a cat sitter. A pinch of braunschweiger wrapped around a kitty Valium, and Mr.Stunt … er, Melvin is poured into the cat carrier and off to pet prison. The process is reversed when we return and he earns parole.

Though the state of California has zero tolerance against illegal fireworks, it can still feel like the Battle of Algiers when the sun goes down in LA on the 4th. CAL Fire and LAFD/LAPD do what they can to keep the city from burning down to the ground, but for some people the stupid cannot be fixed; that's why they're called Lefty, One-eye, and Third Base.

I was lucky yesterday morning. I picked Melvin up from prison and he was still under the effects of the braunschweiger depth charge. I locked him up in the laundry room; I don't want him to keep banging his head against the locked cat door or free to dig another tunnel in the tomato garden to stay cool. The weather was brutal yesterday (mid-90s to 106° at 1AM this morning) and it's going to be a one long heat island all weekend. We keep the shutters and blinds drawn, and only go out on the patio when the sun goes down to drown the plants. 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7
(edited)

The weather's kinder here today--23C, breezy, and low humidity. I'm not gloating; it's just such a relief.

So to divert you, here's a story culled from a pleasantly mundane day in the life [feel free to scroll past]:

The other day, PlL and I went down the street [Roncy for TO friends here] to check the vegetable stores--it was 4:30PM, which is usually the hottest time of day, 34C, humid, and basically intolerable. What follows is a tiny observation and needs a contextual set-up based on the fact that I tend to uniforms; in summer, baggy khaki shorts and white T-shirts, and I have MTS-length hair [sorry, folks who think women over 50 should all have layered short hair--not happening]. That hair, if not tethered up in a rat in hot weather, gets sweaty, especially in "the kitchen," the back just above the nape of the neck.

Nodding off yet?

I kept grabbing the hair and trying to figure out how to get it twisted and up. Then, eureka! A flash! Some vegetables are set out bound up in elastic bands. But the neighbourhood's so damn trendy that vegetable stores now put things out in dear little festive artistic arrangements. No elastics. Eyes darting back and forth, I find the one traditionally presented vegetable, green onions! Mit elastics! I remove one, stand under an AC vent, and put the hair up. Bliss!

Mind you, a lot of women might get a bit picky about an updo involving a green-onion elastic, but not I.

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, pearlite said:

The weather's kinder here today--23C, breezy, and low humidity. I'm not gloating; it's just such a relief.

So to divert you, here's a story culled from a pleasantly mundane day in the life [feel free to scroll past]:

The other day, PlL and I went down the street [Roncy for TO friends here] to check the vegetable stores--it was 4:30PM, which is usually the hottest time of day, 34C, humid, and basically intolerable. What follows is a tiny observation and needs a contextual set-up based on the fact that I tend to uniforms; in summer, baggy khaki shorts and white T-shirts, and I have MTS-length hair [sorry, folks who think women over 50 should all have layered short hair--not happening]. That hair, if not tethered up in a rat in hot weather, gets sweaty, especially in "the kitchen," the back just above the nape of the neck.

Nodding off yet?

I kept grabbing the hair and trying to figure out how to get it twisted and up. Then, eureka! A flash! Some vegetables are set out bound up in elastic bands. But the neighbourhood's so damn trendy that vegetable stores now put things out in dear little festive artistic arrangements. No elastics. Eyes darting back and forth, I find the one traditionally presented vegetable, green onions! Mit elastics! I remove one, stand under an AC vent, and put the hair up. Bliss!

Mind you, a lot of women might get a bit picky about an updo involving a green-onion elastic, but not I.

Great story, and I totally would have gone for the elastic and the green onions.

Just want to add, some women, Annie Lennox as an example, always had short hair, and still do after age 50. :)

• Love 4

Aww, poor little guy. Definitely freaking out. I loved how his owner comforted him later. Also, if you've never stroked a bird, they are so friggin' soft. It's so fun, hee. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Aww, poor little guy. Definitely freaking out. I loved how his owner comforted him later. Also, if you've never stroked a bird, they are so friggin' soft. It's so fun, hee. 

My crazy old lady high school English teacher Miss Hardy had the zoo bring three owls into class one day and I got to hold one. So soft! There was a Great Horned Owl, a snowy white owl and a screech owl that was missing a wing because some idiot shot it thinking it was a bat.  I guess they were fond of mosquitos.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Aww, jealous. I've never seen an actual owl, just the ones on TV and in books/video. 

They were so cool. The screech owl was just a tiny, tiny thing. Maybe about six inches high. Poor baby couldn't fly any more so the zoo took him in.  It gave me a life long fascination for owls.

• Love 4

That household owl is definitely upto no good ?

i tried to find a "mentos commercial" gif since @pearlite hairtie moment reminded me of those commercials and the Foo Fighters music video parody but I couldn't find a good one that could be shared ?

I really starting to hate my job. Besides updating everything I do in a software crm, I also now have to write daily excel spreadsheets and send email chains recapping the activities and have 2 conversational meetings (one which was on the spot and had only me of the entire sales 'team' staying late Friday to rehash what was in the computer and correspondence) it takes time from actual work and is annoying af for me w my disability they probably are trying to make me quit. All my vegan food in fridge was stolen Friday, that was cute. 

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

That household owl is definitely upto no good ?

i tried to find a "mentos commercial" gif since @pearlite hairtie moment reminded me of those commercials and the Foo Fighters music video parody but I couldn't find a good one that could be shared ?

I really starting to hate my job. Besides updating everything I do in a software crm, I also now have to write daily excel spreadsheets and send email chains recapping the activities and have 2 conversational meetings (one which was on the spot and had only me of the entire sales 'team' staying late Friday to rehash what was in the computer and correspondence) it takes time from actual work and is annoying af for me w my disability they probably are trying to make me quit. All my vegan food in fridge was stolen Friday, that was cute. 

Dose your next food with something that will make 'em wish they'd never messed with you.  What can they say?  They could hardly complain that there was something wrong with the food they'd STOLEN.

At least let yourself enjoy a few revenge fantasies, bring down your stress level from working with such assholes.

• Love 7

Dose your next food with something that will make 'em wish they'd never messed with you.  What can they say?  They could hardly complain that there was something wrong with the food they'd STOLEN.

I know this is probably tongue-in-cheek but just in case not, I'm thinking this is not a good idea and seem to recall someone getting legal trouble for doing this. Odds are extremely low anyone would be planning to eat food that was poisoned/spiked with ex-lax/etc. so the presumption would be that they were deliberately trying to harm someone else. All the police would have to do is prove who the tamoered food belonged to. It might be better to get the food-stealing issue addressed by the higher ups or HR, or if possible find a way to keep the food in a chilled container at your desk. Besides, the thief might just be throwing the food away and not eating it.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, boes said:

At least let yourself enjoy a few revenge fantasies, bring down your stress level from working with such assholes.

exlax  melted into something chocolate maybe?

LOL  i should have read joimairoxeu's post before i posted this......oooops

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Love 2

I work at a start up I told one of the owners because she came in my office to blab about the excel shit. She didn't really care she was like "well we all share here and you can eat from the office food or my food.."

I'm vegan and try to eat organic that is the point in my buying or bringing a lunch. I know it was deliberate because of my "weird" (to them) food. Also I looked through the garbages and the packaging wasn't in them. They tried to hide it by ripping up or putting in purse. 

I think if it's my own meal I can't be punished if I did put laxitive in it and it is stolen and eaten. It's my property and maybe I am constipated. I wouldn't, but that I don't think would be wrong. If someone brings a bottle of ibuprofen in and I snagged a few from their bottle without asking and a different med like amoxicillin was mixed in, I would have an allergic reaction and it would be my own fault. It's about respect I mentioned my phone charger was taken and never returned and I also brought in a herbal tea sampler in my office and someone took all lemon zinger. I don't like that flavor best but it's like, seriously? ?I just really dislike this place I'm going to work this afternoon and will be the only one in the entire company (I can see who is logged on Skype and in crm see recent activity) and it's solely because of the intense guilt tripping and nagging directed at me. I'd rather be playing with George and doing some activism for Boknal. 

• Love 6