Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, HamsterOfDoom said:

GT as Phyllis, my poorly-rendered version...

IMG_0270 2.JPG

Terrifyingly accurate, Hammy.

GT could be a member of the Keeping Up With the Kardashian's family of lampreys.

And this needs a trigger warning ...

18 hours ago, HamsterOfDoom said:

ms_phyllis.jpg

I have to go back to therapy to point at the abuse doll and show where the origin of nightmares has causing me neuralgia, heat rash and a pain in my temple. 

• Love 7

will never not think of Thor: Ragnarök whenever I hear Immigrant Song now ?

I like to sync it up to play during The Ride Of The Rohirrim down into Gondor. In fact, it is my life's ambition is to score the entire Lord Of The Rings movies to various Zeppelin songs.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Starring another of my favourite Aussies - Karl Urban! (Or is he from New Zealand? I can never remember)

God, he was gorgeous as Eomer. Too bad about David Wenham, I thought he was horribly miscast.

• Love 3

Good news for a change. But the downside is that I heard it will be something you have to pay cbs extra to watch, like the crappy ST show they just did, and maybe still do, I dunno, it sucked and I sure as hell wasn't going to pay extra to watch a cbs show. I pay more than enough for cable.

• Love 4

Hey all! Long time no see. I just wanted to let you all know that my mom is now adjusted to life in her LTC facility. We sold the house and my dad is now living with my sister and still watching the show. I'm now, after a couple of months being a vagabond, now living in a condo in downtown Toronto with a friend. It's been good not spending hours getting sucked into the show anymore but I want to thank you for all the laughs during a very difficult part of my life. Love you all!

• Love 12
1 hour ago, marina to said:

Hey all! Long time no see. I just wanted to let you all know that my mom is now adjusted to life in her LTC facility. We sold the house and my dad is now living with my sister and still watching the show. I'm now, after a couple of months being a vagabond, now living in a condo in downtown Toronto with a friend. It's been good not spending hours getting sucked into the show anymore but I want to thank you for all the laughs during a very difficult part of my life. Love you all!

I'm so glad everything is finally sorted. Living with tons of uncertainty is so stressful. Here's to better times!

• Love 8
On 8/12/2018 at 5:59 PM, SweePea59 said:

Good news for a change. But the downside is that I heard it will be something you have to pay cbs extra to watch, like the crappy ST show they just did, and maybe still do, I dunno, it sucked and I sure as hell wasn't going to pay extra to watch a cbs show. I pay more than enough for cable.

Yeah it’s CBS all access. I think it’s $6/month. I really want to see this but since I’m already paying almost $200/mo for fios and Netflix, I doubt I’ll fork over even more.

• Love 2

Hey Jewel!

London: A turquoise and yellow Macaw parrot from London by the name of Jessie has become an instant sensation for her 'rude' behaviour. She was recently stranded on the roof of a building and when a firefighter attempted to rescue her, Jessie shrugged him off and asked him to “Fuck off”.

• Love 8

Hi, Pearlite and Peaches! 

That parrot sounds hilarious, Peaches. My cousin and I recently went to a pet store and be-friended a gorgeous scarlet macaw. He bobbed, and danced, and screamed, stuck his tail in the air, and tried to regurgitate. I think he was trying to mate with my cousin, haha. We took some video of him. 

Pearlite, nice to see you watch MasterChef as well! 

• Love 7

Morgana King, the acclaimed jazz vocalist who released dozens of albums, is best known for portraying the wife of Marlon Brando's Don Vito Corleone in the first two Godfather films, had died March 22, 2018 of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in Palm Springs. She was 87. Her death had gone unreported until a friend, John Hoglund, wrote about her this week on Facebook. King was one of the last surviving vocal innovators in her field.

King was born Maria Grazia Messina on June 4, 1930, in Pleasantville, N.Y. When she was 3, her parents, Sicilian immigrants Ignatius and Isadora, moved their family to uptown Manhattan. Her father, Ignatius, had a coal-and-ice delivery service and relaxed by playing classical guitar and spinning opera 78s, discovering that Morgana could naturally sing along with the records. Ignatius died in an accident when Maria was 11, but her neighborhood nurtured her musical training. She absorbed everything, including the Arabic songs sung by Isadora, an Orthodox Jew, and the music at a nearby Sephardic synagogue. At 14 she got a classical music scholarship, but jazz won her heart and she auditioned at the clubs. Some musicians brought her into Billie Holiday’s dressing room and had her sing “Body and Soul” a cappella. King remembered Holiday’s response: “You better all take care of this baby, ’cause that’s my child.”

At 16 she went to work at the Greenwich Village Inn, owned by mob boss Frank Costello. Isadora had forbidden her from using the family name, so she whipped up the aristocratic Morgan King. Costello politely asked if he could rename her Morgana. When he learned she was Sicilian, he offered her protection for life.

King was still a teen when she wed trumpeter Tony Fruscella, a master of the lyrical style adopted by Miles Davis and Chet Baker. Fruscella was a heroin addict, and the marriage ended after nine years. But he taught her all about bop, and they hung out with jazz greats, notably Charlie Parker and Lester Young. Fruscella was no breadwinner, and after the birth of their daughter, Graysan, King sang wherever she could: in gay Village clubs, strip joints, after-hours spots in Harlem. “I took care of my kid when my husband was stoned out of his mind,” she said. “I worked hard, woodshedding, woodshedding. I was surrounded by gay people. They were my mentors.” One of them gave her a stack of lead sheets he had inherited from the late torch singer Helen Morgan. Out of that came King’s 1955 debut on Mercury Records, Morgana King Sings the Blues, a Morgan tribute. Her singing in those years was immaculate but straightforward. Cole Porter wrote her a fan letter, but the general public wasn’t listening.

Her second husband, trombone player Willie Dennis, strove to help her stand out. At his urging, King tapped into her early operatic and Sephardic influences; in clubs, she wove them into her style. She loved guitar, and with Jim Hall she developed a steamy take on Jobim’s “Corcovado,” complete with bird sounds.

King honed a medley of “When the World Was Young” and “Young and Foolish” that she had devised with Bill Evans, who had accompanied her briefly. Guitarist Gino (Gene) Bertoncini, whom she discovered, helped her create “A Taste of Honey.” But King knew what she wanted. She had her own intuitive way of singing, She couldn’t tell you what she was doing, but she knew. Dennis persuaded producer Bob Shad to let him produce an orchestral showcase for King on his new label, Mainstream. The trombonist chose a fledgling arranger, Salvatore “Torrie” Zito. Classically trained at the Manhattan School of Music, Zito had done promising work for Bobby Darin. The Gershwins’ frantic “Fascinating Rhythm” became a lilting jazz waltz that paired King with classical flutist Julius Baker, and the renowned alto saxophonist Phil Woods soloed. On “Honey,” Zito referenced Ravel’s Daphnis et Chloé.

A Taste of Honey, released in 1964, succeeded spectacularly. Her exotic voice sprang up in vocal jazz -- an airy, humming contralto with pianissimo highs, guttural lows, a hushed, prayer-like intensity and a sense of swing that made phrases glide. Morgana King’s breakthrough hit, “A Taste of Honey,” used Shakespearean English to evoke a woman who dies over lost love. Employing operatic flourishes and the melismatic wail of Sephardic music, King reinvented the tune so lavishly that it was almost unrecognizable from what its composer Bobby Scott had written. At the 1965 Grammys, she vied with the Beatles for Best New Artist. Critics debated whether King’s melting pot of song stylings qualified as jazz, but Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday adored her; so did her pal Frank Sinatra, opera star Eileen Farrell and Stevie Wonder. Suddenly King was all over variety show TV and jazz lounge stages. Sinatra, then Tony Bennett, discovered Zito. He and King made a second album, Miss Morgana King. On the night of July 8, 1965. Dennis was driving a rented car through Central Park, and the brakes failed, and fatally crashed into a tree. Sinatra helped her move forward by signing her to his label, Reprise, for three albums. The first, It’s a Quiet Thing, was a diary of loss, arranged by Zito. Gradually King bounced back, but in 1969 she had a car accident of her own. During her rehabilitation, she expanded her land development and real estate company in Palm Springs, California

Yet for King, one credit has overwhelmed five acclaimed decades of singing and recording -- After two years of relative silence, King resurfaced when director Francis Ford Coppola cast her on a brief appearance opposite Marlon Brando as mob wife Mama (Carmela) Corleone in The Godfather. As Mama Corleone, King sang in Italian but didn’t speak; yet she inhabited the part so convincingly that everyone paid attention. On a comeback LP, New Beginnings, produced by her manager, Vince Mauro, she embraced the songs of the day. Thereafter she recorded nine albums, most of them informal small-group jazz, for the Muse label.

King's growing priority was to care for daughter Graysan, who had battled cancer and bipolar disorder for years, and to help raise grandson Morgan. On June 4, 2000, she gave a farewell 70th birthday show at the Cinegrill in Los Angeles. Graysan died in 2008.

May the One who creates harmony, bring peace to you.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10

St Ryan of Lavery hosting on Food Network ugh is it going to become like Bravo which used to be nice and became trashy? 

When i hear immigrant song I think of the Karen O Trent Reznor cover in Girl w a Dragon Tattoo. 

• Love 7

From WOMEN WHO ROCK: Bessie to Beyoncé, Girl Groups to Riot Grrl by Evelyn McDonnell

"The indisputable Queen of Soul, the almighty Aretha Franklin has had hits across four decades, singing soul, gospel, jazz, R&B, funk, pop, rock, opera, show tunes, and standards of the American songbook. She has had more than twenty number-one singles, has won eighteen Grammy awards as well as the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, was the first woman to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, was the youngest artist to be accorded the Kennedy Center Honors, and received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She performed for queens, popes, and presidents, and sang at the funerals of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahalia Jackson. She made Barack Obama cry over her show-stopping performance of one of her all-time greatest records, “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman,” at the 2015 Kennedy Center Honors tribute to Carole King.

The breadth of her accomplishments makes it seem inadequate to simply declare her the greatest singer of our time. She is Lady Soul; she is blues personified; she sings the gospel from a place so deep an unbeliever will feel the presence of the divine."

• Love 10

Huntress singer Jill Janus died by suicide at the age of 43 on Tuesday, August 14th. The news of Janus’ death was posted on the metal band’s Facebook page. 

"It is with crushed hearts that we announce that Jill Janus — frontwoman for the California heavy metal band Huntress — passed away on Tuesday, August 14," the post on the Huntress Facebook page reads. "A long-time sufferer of mental illness, she took her own life outside of Portland, Oregon. Janus spoke publicly about these challenges in hopes of guiding others to address and overcome their mental illness.

"Janus was a truly special creative involved with numerous musical projects including her role as vocalist for female metal/hard rock cover bands The Starbreakers and Chelsea Girls. In addition, Janus was co-composer and creator of an upcoming rock opera with Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Angus Clark and had a decade-long career as NYC DJ Penelope Tuesdae. Her musical career began in childhood.

"Beyond her accomplishments in the music world and her advocacy for mental health issues, she was a beautiful person passionate about her family, animal rescue and the world of natural medicine. She will be missed more than she could have ever known.

"If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, Call 1-800-273-8255 to reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. It provides free and confidential support 24 hours a day, seven days a week for people in suicidal crisis or distress." 

Huntress made waves in metal with Janus' operatic vocals, occult/horror-themed song writing warped through speed thrash precision. They released two EPs and three albums, via Napalm Records. Janus formed Huntress in 2009 in LA. 

Janus had been open about her battle with various mental illnesses she had suffered with since a teenager. The singer was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and dissociative identity disorder, a condition previously known as multiple personality disorder. She also battled cancer. She was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when she was 20. “I started to show signs of it when I was 13, though, and I struggled with it through high school. It started to get dangerous in my early teens. By the time I was 20 and living in Manhattan, it was very, very difficult for me. That’s when I was admitted into a mental health facility and was diagnosed bipolar with schizoaffective disorder, which progressed into schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder.” She was “very suicidal" early in her life, which turned into “full-blown mania” resulting in vast memory loss. “I lost my long-term memory and can’t remember names, faces, or even places. We’ll be at a venue on tour [guitarist] and Blake [Meahl] will be like, ‘We’ve played here two times before,’ but I’ll have no recollection.”

On explaining her struggle with dissociative identity disorder. “My friends started to notice that I was developing these other personalities, almost as protection. I was slowly not wanting to be who I was. That started to come into play at the age of 18 when I was going to music school in Manhattan.” She adds that she took on a persona named ‘Penelope Tuesdae,’ which helped encouraged her to go out and enjoy the nightlife as well as conceal her life as an opera singer. She says, “I really wanted to split the two lives. ‘Penelope Tuesdae’ started to take on a life of her own.”

Janus’ mental health issues reached a boiling point once Huntress finished recording their third album Static. The singer had to be hospitalized so she didn’t hurt herself or someone around her. “Once a Huntress album is done, it’s almost like I slip into a postpartum depression. Being bipolar and schizophrenic, I have to be hospitalized.” Janus added, “I spent some time in the hospital so I could be re-evaluated and medicated properly. I’ve been prescribed new meds, so I’m feeling more stable.”

Janus was diagnosed with uterine cancer in 2015. “When we were on tour with Amon Amarth, I started to bleed heavily between my periods. I had a procedure, and my doctor found early stages of cancer in my uterus.” The singer had a hysterectomy that June. Janus concluded, “I know I’ll survive. I’ve survived much worse.”

May you find the peace that eluded you in life. 

Source:  Psychology Today, Loudwire, Facebook, joelgausten.com

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

so, as i was watching aretha being remembered by her friends, one mentioned how she loved to cook soul food....and made really good chitlins...i had heard of chitlins before but didn't know what they were so i googled it....it is fried pork intestines...and since the slaves were only given the parts that no one else wanted, they turned it into a meal..

she will be missed...

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I got another job offer today. It's for liquor supervisor/buyer at a grocery store. 

Congrats! If you get it, the most important thing is making sure the store is up on all of their licensing.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7

Yes I have tastings and get to bring home bottle samples. I'm concerned it will be less than what I make now. But may be less stress and more laid back or a future (it's a grocery store chain). The manager and I seem to get along he's kinda an old hippie. We "clicked".  

I don't like my job now and it's gotten worse not better so I have no future in it. Realistically I would want to go somewhere in grocery like being an assistant store manager or category manager. Even though jobs are UP statistically all the openings seem to be low pay, part time, weird/terrible management or too far of a commute. 

• Love 8

Yes and I get a big discount on groceries and if the store manager and I vibe he may help me advance. I may make more at this job but it's become very negative and weird. For all I know they could do something random and lay off the team or relocate back to Moscow

• Love 8