Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

how will the commute be with the new job?  also, will the discount on groceries make up for the lower wage?

maybe, with your experience working in a grocery chain, once in a while there might be something you could help him with, like with advice or something?

maybe even work up to assistant manager or something?

often, when you are in a familiar environment, the job is easier because you are acquainted with how things should go or be.

anyway petunia, you'll be great, feel better and just be happier.

• Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, FairyDusted said:

You know I HAVE to follow that now right? LOL 

Doncha' know it, FairyDusted! The men's club shade makes it all worth while.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Petunia13 said:

I got another job offer today. It's for liquor supervisor/buyer at a grocery store. 

Excellent news, Petunia!

il_340x270.1366151992_ql11.jpg

Cheers!

22 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Yes and I get a big discount on groceries and if the store manager and I vibe he may help me advance. I may make more at this job but it's become very negative and weird. For all I know they could do something random and lay off the team or relocate back to Moscow

How much is negative and weird worth to you? … Okay, that's not a fair question. You've been suffering under the weight of you employer's toxic behavior and management. This job offer looks like a lifeline but for less money. Can you live with that? Is the insurance and benefits package comparable?

Valley asked lots of good questions, I would find out everything you can about the grocery chain, talk to their vendors, make a spot visit at a different location and ask a couple of employees how they like working there and if there's advancement opportunities go for women as well as men.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Yes and I get a big discount on groceries and if the store manager and I vibe he may help me advance. I may make more at this job but it's become very negative and weird. For all I know they could do something random and lay off the team or relocate back to Moscow

Discounts on groceries could be a huge boon. My mom always used to say we'd be rich if we didn't have to eat.

• Love 9

Petunia, you've sounded pretty miserable at your current job from the beginning.  Despite your successes, the management doesn't seem to appreciate your efforts, and asshole coworkers steal your lunch.  I think stressful and toxic environments are not worth a bigger paycheck.  Only you can decide if you can afford it, but if you can, I would accept the offer if I were in your shoes.  Plus, being a buyer can be fun, and you would make tons of contacts.  Maybe this job doesn't pay as much as you make now, but it could lead you to something even better!    

• Love 12

it is fried pork intestines.

They're not always fried. Other recipes have them boiled or stewed. Either way, it's a smell you'll never forget. I remain grateful they were one food I was not forced eat. (Meanwhile, I loved liver. Go figure.)

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Category 4 Hurricane Lane Prompts Hurricane Warning for Hawaii's Big Island, Maui, Watches For Kauai, Oahu, Including Honolulu

web1_082118-Lane11A.jpg

Hurricane Lane looks as ugly on satellite as it does on Y&R.

My brother-in-law returned on the red eye from O'ahu after battening down the Stunt Winter Palace from the incoming storm. He refused to stay after Hurricane Iniki in 1992.

God, poor Hawaii. First the volcanoes and now this. I used to live on Oahu. It makes me sad.

• Love 11

Former Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Ed King, who co-wrote the rock classic “Sweet Home Alabama,” died from cancer Wednesday in Nashville, Tennessee. He was 68.

Born and raised in California, King had his first brush with fame as a member of Strawberry Alarm Clock. The band’s psychedelic classic “Incense And Peppermints” hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1967. King co-wrote the music but was not credited on the single. He was on tour with the band in 1968 when he met the members of Lynyrd Skynyrd, which opened for Strawberry Alarm Clock a few times.

King officially joined Skynyrd in 1972, replacing bassist Leon Wilkeson and played on the group's first three albums, 1973's debut, Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd, 1974's Second Helping and 1975's Nuthin' Fancy. He moved over to guitar when Wilkeson re-joined the band and then took his first leave in 1976, replaced by Steve Gaines. Singer Ronnie Van Zant, Gaines and sister Cassie Gaines were famously killed in a plane crash in October 1977. 

When the band reformed in 1987, King was along for the ride (1987-1996) along with guitarist Gary Rossington, drummer Artimus Pyle, keyboardist Billy Powell and bassist Leon Wilkeson, with Ronnie Van Zant's younger brother, Johnny, as lead singer. He left the group in 1996 when he had congestive heart failure and underwent a successful heart transplant in 2011.

While in the band, King co-wrote “Sweet Home Alabama” with fellow members Gary Rossington and Ronnie Van Zant.

The song hit No. 8 in 1974 and the lyrics were intended as an answer to the Neil Young song “Southern Man,” which dealt with themes of racism in the American South. But it was King’s opening guitar riff that really sold the song, so much so that Young later admitted to Rolling Stone that he would “rather play ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ than ‘Southern Man’ anytime.”

Other songs King co-wrote for the band include “Saturday Night Special,” “Poison Whiskey,” “Mr. Banker” and “Swamp Music." King was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2006, along with other early members of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

King had been chronicling his health issues on his FB page, writing on July 12, "I had a most excellent day and they’ll keep coming. I’m back to eating, everything is functioning. Getting stronger and feel incredible. I’m just wobbly," alluding to the "final edit" of the first section of a book he was working on.

Rest in Peace, Ed.

This is an interview with Ed on the Blade Radio Show in 2015.

• Love 6

Robin Leach has perished. Beat Cupid to the post.

i officially signed my offer letter for my liquor buyer/ dept lead grocery job. I also closed another sale at my current one but they still treat me like shit ? one guy who's been here a 3rd of my time w no sales whatsoever has been promoted to sales manager and makes substantially more than me. How can you lead sales when you've never make one? ? I think honestly they are trying to make me quit they are so rude to me all the time. 

• Love 9

oh petunia, that's horrid.....can't have a woman usurping a man now can we...

i think you' ll be a lot happier in the new job.  at least it is familiar and like riding a bike, it will all come rushing back..

so, you signed your offer letter?  how long before you can tell the jerks at your current job to kindly take a long walk off a short pier?

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

i officially signed my offer letter for my liquor buyer/ dept lead grocery job. I also closed another sale at my current one but they still treat me like shit ? one guy who's been here a 3rd of my time w no sales whatsoever has been promoted to sales manager and makes substantially more than me. How can you lead sales when you've never make one? ? I think honestly they are trying to make me quit they are so rude to me all the time. 

I hope you can get out of there soon.  That sort of behavior is inexcusable, and it drains your spirit to be around it.  Love ya, Petunia, be strong and exit as soon as you can!

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

"I'm Robin Leach! I'm yelling and I don't know why!"

My grandmother loved Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. Every time Leach would interview someone like the Sultan of Brunei, it became the Dada Comedy Hour.

Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams indeed.

i officially signed my offer letter for my liquor buyer/ dept lead grocery job. I also closed another sale at my current one but they still treat me like shit ? one guy who's been here a 3rd of my time w no sales whatsoever has been promoted to sales manager and makes substantially more than me. How can you lead sales when you've never made one? ? I think honestly they are trying to make me quit they are so rude to me all the time. 

You know how it works, Petunia. The incompetent owner/manager promotes less competent flying monkeys/consiglieres to do their wet work, then the owner/manager can keep their hands clean while you bleed. It's an old story, known the working world over.

Congratulations on the new job!

Hang on, because it's going to be Hell on Earth from the point of resignation until you walk out the door for the last time. Expect them to say terrible things, mess with your desk, steal the rest of you things, key your car, leave burning bags of dog shit on your desk chair, and up the ante on treating you like crap. Make sure you have all contract sales information on your sales remuneration (or however you get paid for sales), and secure copies of all your work records. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have the number of you state Department of Labor handy in case they decide to fire you outright.

You'll be well rid of those assholes.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Jesus, we have a cat serial killer on the loose. 11 cats so far. Lock up your kitties people, there are some sick fucks out there.

OMG, Peaches, that's some scary stuff!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Jesus, we have a cat serial killer on the loose. 11 cats so far. Lock up your kitties people, there are some sick fucks out there.

That's terrible. I'm not a violent person but the rage I feel for animal abusers and torturers is one I feel daily. Yes there's also a dog fight multi state tournament coming and an epidemic of people adopting these animals then killing or torturing them. What especially sickens me is dogs and cats instinctively like and trust people and those pieces of shit prey on that! The only mistake these animals will have made in their life is believing the best of those "people" ?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

@boes and @Cupid Stunt were right it's been microwave fish and Limburger cheese the nice coworkers are scarfing around me lately and saying in sing song saccharine voices how they hope it isn't bothering anyone. Imagine being that passive aggressive and weird. Couldn't be me. 

There was only one time at my office that microwaving fish was done. We were being audited by the State and he was using the board room which was right next door to the kitchen. I thought it was stupid and immature then and it's still stupid and immature. How many more days of this kind of juvenile crap do you have left?

• Love 5

@boes and @Cupid Stunt were right it's been microwave fish and Limburger cheese the nice coworkers are scarfing around me lately and saying in sing song saccharine voices how they hope it isn't bothering anyone. Imagine being that passive aggressive and weird. Couldn't be me. 

Be comforted by the fact that it's those idiots who have to eat it.  What morons.

• Love 9

According to The Good Place, those who reheat fish in the office microwave are going to the Bad Place...as are people who take off their shoes and socks on commercial airlines :)

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

What's next? BBQ pork chops and bratwursts on your desk?

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

According to The Good Place, those who reheat fish in the office microwave are going to the Bad Place...as are people who take off their shoes and socks on commercial airlines :)

The Bad Place is not a bad enough place for these people. They need their own special corner of Hell, recently upholstered and appointed with them in mind. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, boes said:
6 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Be comforted by the fact that it's those idiots who have to eat it.  What morons.

Right?  I didn't think Limburger was something people actually ate. Let's hope the after-effects weren't particularly pleasant.

• Love 6

My step father eats Limburger on those little dark rye bread sliced loafs when he goes up to his fishing cabin with his friends and other weird junk food. I had to buy it for him before since I worked in (will work again) grocery I can get weird cheeses or specialty meats at low prices. I think and hope I will learn a lot being a buyer there seems to be enough variety of work and quick pace to make it lively. 

@jewel21 how is the matinee idol of birds, the most debonair man to wear a Mohawk, the sweetest thing with 2 wings doing? 

• Love 8

Hee! He's doing well, Petunia :D

He had his annual exam on Monday and everything was fine. We don't have to do another biochemistry for another year unless something happens before then. Figures crossed things continue the way they've been going. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

My step father eats Limburger on those little dark rye bread sliced loafs when he goes up to his fishing cabin with his friends and other weird junk food. I had to buy it for him before since I worked in (will work again) grocery I can get weird cheeses or specialty meats at low prices. I think and hope I will learn a lot being a buyer there seems to be enough variety of work and quick pace to make it lively. 

@jewel21 how is the matinee idol of birds, the most debonair man to wear a Mohawk, the sweetest thing with 2 wings doing? 

when do you start your new job petunia13?

• Love 5

George wa sfeeling under the weather today I think sometimes my mom stresses him out. 

This week a new girl started and she's super smart, experienced, kind, elegant. We hit it off immediately and they fired her at the end of the day for a made up reason. I really do think they are a fake business. They hired a beautiful rich girl thinking she's dumb and will be a loafer and when they realized she's savvy and like me they shoved her out. They can't probably fire me since I've been there too long or seem like I will call my lawyer. 

• Love 8

George wa sfeeling under the weather today I think sometimes my mom stresses him out. 

This week a new girl started and she's super smart, experienced, kind, elegant. We hit it off immediately and they fired her at the end of the day for a made up reason. I really do think they are a fake business. They hired a beautiful rich girl thinking she's dumb and will be a loafer and when they realized she's savvy and like me they shoved her out. They can't probably fire me since I've been there too long or seem like I will call my lawyer. 

WOW! That's some fucked up shit! Hope George feels better. 

• Love 8

I took G to the vet today he seems better but still a bit morose and quiet. He cried twice when I touched him by his shoulders but the Doctor examined him and found him in fine health also she said if he had a shoulder injury he wouldn't have been walking, running, jumping and be fine with handling and picking up and dressing. I hope he's back ? tomorrow. 

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I took G to the vet today he seems better but still a bit morose and quiet. He cried twice when I touched him by his shoulders but the Doctor examined him and found him in fine health also she said if he had a shoulder injury he wouldn't have been walking, running, jumping and be fine with handling and picking up and dressing. I hope he's back ? tomorrow. 

Oh no, I hope he's better ASAP.  The last thing you need is to worrying about him.  But you can't do anything else till he's better.  Love to you both.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I hope George starts feeling better soon, too.  He could be picking up on your stress and anxiety. 

That's what I think too. Plus the lovely petunia could be coming home smelling of Limburger and who doesn't hate that?

How is the ever charming Mr. McQueen?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7