Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Steve is starting to molt again and I don't get why it's happening so often. I should have brought it up with the vet when I brought him in but he wasn't molting at the time. His appetite is a bit low since his vet visit, but it did pick up the past couple of days. Other than that, he's really cute, hee. I did a big cage cleaning and switched up his toys and he's been having a lot of fun playing with them. It's really cute. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

jewel, is he allowed out of his cage just to roam around?

you know, and kind of explore?

Absolutely. Steve hates being cooped up in his cage. As soon as I get home from work he's hanging onto the cage door and screaming to be let out, lol. I open the door and he likes to climb up to the top of his cage and he hangs out there all day playing with one of his favourite toys. Sometimes he'll fly onto my bed, or my desk, but mostly he's content to merely hang out on top of the cage. He only goes into his cage to eat, drink, or when he's really tired. The only time he's actually locked in the cage is when I'm at work or at night when it's bedtime. 

My brother's cockatiel used to love exploring. He would have to be placed on the ground and he would go on his walks, lol. Steve isn't a walker and doesn't like to hang out on the ground. Safer for him anyway. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Absolutely. Steve hates being cooped up in his cage. As soon as I get home from work he's hanging onto the cage door and screaming to be let out, lol. I open the door and he likes to climb up to the top of his cage and he hangs out there all day playing with one of his favourite toys. Sometimes he'll fly onto my bed, or my desk, but mostly he's content to merely hang out on top of the cage. He only goes into his cage to eat, drink, or when he's really tired. The only time he's actually locked in the cage is when I'm at work or at night when it's bedtime. 

My brother's cockatiel used to love exploring. He would have to be placed on the ground and he would go on his walks, lol. Steve isn't a walker and doesn't like to hang out on the ground. Safer for him anyway. 

That is so adorable. You guys have the best bond. And what I love is the respect you have for each other as well, it's something you protect and he values with you. 

George is still acting weird. Larthagic, moments of moodiness, and he spit up in his car seat this am.  I'm am of course extremely concerned. I'm keeping close watch on him. I'll take him back to the vet or emergency care if he doesn't improve but at the same time I don't want to further antagonise him if it's minor. I somewhat worry it's dog flu but he is eating, normal poo, and shows liveliness walking and at the doggy store. The worst thing in the world is when someone you love is in physical or emotional pain ?

• Love 9

Keep the faith, Petunia.

Mike Kennedy, George Strait's longtime drummer, was killed in a car accident on Friday (Aug. 31) in Lebanon, Tenn., outside of Nashville. He was 59 years old.

According to the Tennessean, Kennedy was driving his 1999 GMC Sierra westbound on Interstate 40 when, just before 4PM, near mile-marker 238 in Wilson County, he hit a tractor-trailer as it was merging into another lane. The tractor-trailer then hit a Chevrolet Silverado, according to a preliminary report on the accident. Tennessee Highway Patrol identified the GMC's deceased driver as Kennedy, a resident of Baxter, Tenn.; he was not wearing a seatbelt, but investigators say that it would not have saved him had he been wearing one. No one else was injured in the crash, though the accident and the subsequent investigation blocked several lanes of traffic for hours.

A drummer since childhood, Kennedy played with Barbara Fairchild and Ricky Skaggs. The longtime musician played drums with Strait for nearly 30 years. He first appeared on Strait's 1992 album, "Holding My Own," before joining his backing Ace in the Hole backing band in the early 1980s, after original drummer Tommy Foote left the band to become Strait's road manager.

A left-handed drummer, Kennedy also played with Jamey Johnson, Bill Anderson and others as a much sought-after session drummer.

“Today is only one day in all the days that will ever be. But what will happen in all the other days that ever come can depend on what you do today.” -- For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway

• Love 6
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:02 AM, bannana said:

I watched the entire celebration. It was awesome.

That was an amazing memorial!

The gospel singers stole the show. The Clark Sisters killed it, Marvin Sapp resurrected it, and Pastor Shirley Caeser killed it again.

Cicely Tyson's hat was everything! Glorious! I want to go out with Miss Tyson and paint the town.

NINTCHDBPICT000430136498.jpg

These two significant funerals this weekend, Aretha Franklin and Senator John McCain, demonstrated the very wide differences between cultures in the United States.

• Love 10

From the Washington Post.....

I know Chris Lawford was never on Y&R but for the old AMC fans who may have missed this......gone too soon.

A lot of people thought Chris was too old to play Charlie Brent and he really was, but IMO he blended exceptionally well with the actors playing the Martin family, Michael E. Knight as Tad, Ray McDonnell as Joe and especially, the incomparable Mary Fickett who played Ruth.  

Sometimes the "good old days" really were.....

Christopher Lawford, an actor, author and member of the Kennedy clan who wrote a memoir about his years of drug addiction and subsequent recovery and later promoted efforts to help people attain sobriety, died Sept. 4 in Vancouver. He was 63.

The cause was a heart attack, a cousin, former U.S. Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy (D-R.I.), told the Associated Press.

Mr. Lawford’s parents were Peter Lawford and Patricia Kennedy Lawford, who was the sister of President John F. Kennedy, Sen. Robert F. Kennedy (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.).

His father, a popular film actor in the 1940s and 1950s, was a member of the Rat Pack with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. Mr. Lawford grew up in Hollywood, surrounded by glamour, fame and temptation.

“I was given wealth, power and fame when I drew my first breath,” he wrote in his best-selling 2005 memoir, “Symptoms of Withdrawal.”

ADVERTISING

In his book, he wrote that Marilyn Monroe taught him how to dance the Twist. He sat on Sinatra’s knee and recalled that Judy Garland came to his family’s house to play poker.

Christopher Lawford in 2005. (Amanda Edwards/Getty Images)

He also wrote that he once received a gift of scrimshaw — a carved whale’s tooth — from President Kennedy at the Kennedy family’s winter home in Palm Beach, Fla. He acted as something of an older brother to the president’s only son, John F. Kennedy Jr.

Christopher Kennedy Lawford was born March 29, 1955 in Santa Monica, Calif. He was 8 when John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963 and 13 when Robert F. Kennedy was killed five years later.

Both of Mr. Lawford’s parents struggled with addiction, before and after their divorce in 1966, and he said he began using drugs in his early teens. He was addicted to heroin for a time and in 1980 was arrested in Colorado for impersonating a doctor in an effort to obtain prescription drugs.

“Opiates were my drug of choice,” he wrote in his memoir, “but whatever changed my consciousness was my friend.”

In spite of his heavy drug use, Mr. Lawford graduated in 1977 from Tufts University in Massachusetts and in 1983 received a law degree from Boston College.

Notable deaths in 2018: John McCain, Aretha Franklin, Barbara Bush and other famous faces we lost this year

View Photos

Remembering those who have died in 2018.

His father died in 1984 at age 61, after years of drug and alcohol abuse. The same year, Mr. Lawford’s 28-year-old cousin David Kennedy, one of Robert Kennedy’s sons, died of a drug overdose. The two were particularly close.

Mr. Lawford gave credit to his aunt Joan Kennedy — Teddy Kennedy’s first wife — for introducing him to an addiction treatment program in 1986.

“Joan did for me what no doctor, therapist, priest, or guru could do,” he told the Palm Beach Post in 2006. “She brought me to a church basement full of a diverse group of apparent losers who would teach me how to live without drugs and alcohol a day at a time, and a whole lot more.”

In the late 1980s, Mr. Lawford — who bore a striking resemblance to his father — embarked on an acting career. He acted in dozens of films and television shows, including the TV soap operas “All My Children” and “General Hospital.” He had small roles in such films as “The Russia House,” a 1990 spy thriller with Sean Connery and Michelle Pfeiffer, Oliver Stone’s 1991 rock-music film “The Doors” and the 2005 motorcycle-racing film “The World’s Fastest Indian,” opposite Anthony Hopkins.

He also played a Navy officer in “Thirteen Days,” a 2000 film about the Cuban missile crisis, the real-life drama in which John F. Kennedy averted a nuclear war with the Soviet Union in 1962.

In addition to his 2005 memoir, Mr. Lawford published other books on addiction and recovery, as well as a book on hepatitis C, which he acquired through intravenous drug use.

“There are many days when I wish I could take back and use my youth more appropriately,” Mr. Lawford told the Associated Press in 2005. “But all of that got me here. I can’t ask for some of my life to be changed and still extract the understanding and the life that I have today.”

He studied counseling at Harvard University and lectured on addiction at Harvard, Columbia University and other college campuses and was a spokesman for the Caron Foundation, a nationwide drug and alcohol rehabilitation network.

Mr. Lawford’s marriages to Jeannie Olsson and actress Lana Antonova ended in divorce. Survivors include his wife since 2014, Mercedes Miller, a yoga instructor; three children from his first marriage; and three sisters.

Mr. Lawford said his childhood taught him not to have any illusions about the lives and troubles of the Hollywood stars he grew up around.

“We can re-create the days when Frank, Dean, Sammy and my dad were together,” he told the Boston Globe in 2005. “But they all ended up dysfunctional, messed-up guys. And they once had everything. Money. Good looks. Success. Yet at the end, they were miserable, miserable men alone, angry, drinking. So what’s that all about?”

• Love 9
3 hours ago, boes said:

From the Washington Post.....

I know Chris Lawford was never on Y&R but for the old AMC fans who may have missed this......gone too soon.

A lot of people thought Chris was too old to play Charlie Brent and he really was, but IMO he blended exceptionally well with the actors playing the Martin family, Michael E. Knight as Tad, Ray McDonnell as Joe and especially, the incomparable Mary Fickett who played Ruth.  

Sometimes the "good old days" really were.....

Thanks, @boes for posting this.  I loved Christopher Lawford, but didn't really know the story of his struggles.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Fearless Dominator. That's right, you heard me.

Lead on, Fearless Dominator!

Your cat's name came up as Misunderstood Warrior. My cat Melvin is Phantom Watcher, which is spot on. 

OMG, I love this thing, I could play with it all day!

Rap Name Generators are huge fun!

• Love 5

I just rewatched "Starting Over" for the first time in about 20 years - Burt Reynolds, Jill Clayburgh, Candace Bergen, Frances Sternhagen, Charles Durning, and it was still hilarious even though it was made oh so long ago.  That was really the first time I appreciated Burt Reynolds, before that, unfairly, I think, I'd thought of him as just another piece of hollywood fluff.  He was certainly a lot more than that.  Just the looks on his face in that movie had me in stitches.......

• Love 9
4 hours ago, boes said:

I just rewatched "Starting Over" for the first time in about 20 years - Burt Reynolds, Jill Clayburgh, Candace Bergen, Frances Sternhagen, Charles Durning, and it was still hilarious even though it was made oh so long ago.  That was really the first time I appreciated Burt Reynolds, before that, unfairly, I think, I'd thought of him as just another piece of hollywood fluff.  He was certainly a lot more than that.  Just the looks on his face in that movie had me in stitches.......

Agree @boes, and, Jill Clayburgh died way too young, but now we have her daughter, Lily Rabe, to enjoy, I am a big fan.

I will admit, I loved Burt Reynolds.  He was sexy and he was funny, a good combo.  I will never forget him posing for the centrefold of Playgirl magazine. That was  a thing.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, bannana said:

I will never forget him posing for the centrefold of Playgirl magazine.

I just might have my copy of his centerfold in Cosmopolitan in a box in my spare room.

I live in South Florida, so he's all over the local stations, and lots of memories on Facebook with local people. My brother was the chef at the Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater in Jupiter for many years.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

i loved his "cheesy" smile in the cosmo picture....

i read somewhere that he was drunk at the time of the photo shoot.

I was working in a beauty shop in Las Vegas when the Cosmo came out. I ran next door to Smith's to buy every worker a copy. 

Somewhere Dolly is singing "Hard Candy Christmas." I may or may not own the movie BLWHIT;)

• Love 8

Malcolm James McCormick, known to his fans and the music industry as Mac Miller, died on Friday at the age of 26. Miller reportedly died of an apparent drug overdose and was found dead at his home in Studio City, California. The Los Angeles Police Department reported that officers responded to a call for a death investigation at the 11600 block of Valleycrest Road just before noon local time. The coroner's office will handle the investigation, according to police.

Miller started his career in music as a teenager by putting out mixtapes in his native Pittsburgh. In 2012, his first album, "Blue Slide Park," became the first independent debut album to hit the top of the Billboard chart in more than 16 years. Miller was 19. Miller is best known for his 2015 album GO:OD AM and songs like “Weekend” and “Self Care.” He was also featured on Ariana Grande’s “The Way,” which the two collaborated on in 2013. He and Grande dated from 2016 to 2018.

Miller’s new album Swimming was just released on August 3, and he was set to go on tour in October. The last message posted to Miller’s official Twitter account was a tweet on Thursday night that expressed his excitement about kicking off his concert series:

• Go get tickets for tour.

Thundercat
    J.I.D.

I’m bringing a band.

The show is going to be special every night.

I wish it started tomorrow.

It starts October 27th.https://t.co/RGYZC5DTza

— Mac (@MacMiller) September 7, 2018

Miller never flinched in writing music about his personal battles with rejection and the music industry, or about his struggles with drug and alcohol addiction. That put a spotlight on the life he led in the public eye. In May, Miller was charged with a DUI after crashing his Mercedes into a power pole.

Miller has been open in the past about his battles with substance addiction. He talked about his quest for sobriety in a 2016 Vogue profile, saying, "I'm just changing how I live life, my state of mind...When you first get sober you feel like a superhero. You feel real emotion because you've been suppressing it forever. It's so much easier to navigate what's important." Miller was arrested on DUI and hit-and-run charges in Los Angeles 2018 May.

He was known for channeling his struggles into his music. In a profile article published the day before his death by Vulture, Miller said, “I used to rap super openly about really dark shit,” Miller told Vulture in an interview this month, when discussing his early music and its allusions to hard drugs and the theme of dying young. “Because that’s what I was experiencing at the time. That’s fine, that’s good, that’s life. It should be all the emotions.”

"Mac was a hugely gifted and inspiring artist, with a pioneering spirit and a sense of humor that touched everyone he met. Mac's death is a devastating loss and cuts short a life and a talent of huge potential, where the possibilities felt limitless. We join all of his fans across the globe in extending our thoughts and prayers to his family and friends." -- Tom Corson, co-chairman and COO of Warner Bros. Records, Miller's label, said in a statement.

• Love 8

Forever Gone: Eight Bird Species Confirmed Extinct This Decade

"Thanks to our best efforts to completely remake the world according to our standards, eight more species of birds are probably extinct, including three species of parrots, according to a new study by Birdlife International.

This new study, led by BirdLife International’s Chief Scientist, Stuart Butchart, and his collaborators tested six statistical methods to analyse 51 Critically Endangered birds, using a range of thresholds to assign species to the IUCN Red List Categories, and compared their results with the species’ current categories (ref). The methods simultaneously quantified three factors: intensity of threats, timing and reliability of records, and the timing and quantity of search efforts for the species. Based on their analysis, Dr. Butchart and his collaborators recommend that if both the probability that a species remains extant based on threats and the probability based on records and surveys falls below 0.5, it should qualify as Critically Endangered (Possibly Extinct), whereas if both probabilities fall below 0.1 it should qualify as Extinct. Their novel approach resulted in an 80% match with the current IUCN Red List classification of species."

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Hey CS, if you don't mind, what's up with your new avatar?

It's the back photo from Warren Zevon's album Excitable Boy. It's a more arresting photo than the front piece art.

zevoexcisl.jpg

Zevon did an interview where he said the record company demanded a photo of him on the front of the album cover, so he chose the dinner plate photo that depicted his favorite song on the album, "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner."

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7