Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I called my doctor and told her how I was feeling. She changed my prescription back. My brother found out and called me 'weak minded' for needing meds. Blah. 

He's being a jerk. Maybe next time he says it's weak say "I'm sorry you feel that way... my doctor recommended it and was proud of me and mentioned a number of his colleagues and patients take the same medications. He said he just prescribed same for a local CEO." Then quickly change to HIS subject to his health like "speaking of self care, have you lost weight? (Nicey nice voice)" or "enough about my wellness plans how's your allergies /blood pressure/ insomnia? (Concerned tone)" 

It sucks when family aren't supportive and just see their own views, feelings, struggles. It's such narrow vision and wasted potential. 

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

He's being a jerk. Maybe next time he says it's weak say "I'm sorry you feel that way... my doctor recommended it and was proud of me and mentioned a number of his colleagues and patients take the same medications. He said he just prescribed same for a local CEO." Then quickly change to HIS subject to his health like "speaking of self care, have you lost weight? (Nicey nice voice)" or "enough about my wellness plans how's your allergies /blood pressure/ insomnia? (Concerned tone)" 

It sucks when family aren't supportive and just see their own views, feelings, struggles. It's such narrow vision and wasted potential. 

Thanks *hugs*

He doesn't think being on antidepressants is a life long thing, unless you're bipolar or something. He went through some anxiety awhile back and was on meds for six months before getting off them. He thinks it's just all in your head and you just need to not think about the stuff that is making you anxious and you can be automatically fixed. It's frustrating.

• Love 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Thanks *hugs*

He doesn't think being on antidepressants is a life long thing, unless you're bipolar or something. He went through some anxiety awhile back and was on meds for six months before getting off them. He thinks it's just all in your head and you just need to not think about the stuff that is making you anxious and you can be automatically fixed. It's frustrating.

If only it was that easy.

If only you could not think about him or the others who can't be supportive.

If only you could receive back some of the love and support you give him, and them.

But thank God for those you have in your life, human and feathered and four-legged who DO love and support you.

Don't let the bastids get you down.

Edited by boes
  • Love 16
14 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I called my doctor and told her how I was feeling. She changed my prescription back. My brother found out and called me 'weak minded' for needing meds. Blah. 

maybe you could politely tell him to go piss up a rope?

• Love 13
15 hours ago, jewel21 said:

fck him and the ass he rode in on.  I just had to go back on a low dose anti-anxiety med (buspirone) because this freaking moving shit is driving my anxiety levels to defcon9. I dare anyone to give me attitude about it. It's something I need right now and I do not think of it as failure. Tell him to live his own damn life and stay the hell out of yours.  Unless he's a psychiatrist/psychologist/medical doctor, he's got no dog in the fight.  What an asshole. (sorry, I know he's your brother.)

• Love 12
53 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

It's so great to have a forum full of smart, insightful posters where you can express a divergent thought without someone mansplaining to you why your opinion is wrong.

There are men here, they're just not assholes.

• Love 13
(edited)
On 5/29/2018 at 10:01 PM, boes said:

If only it was that easy.

If only you could not think about him or the others who can't be supportive.

If only you could receive back some of the love and support you give him, and them.

But thank God for those you have in your life, human and feathered and four-legged who DO love and support you.

Don't let the bastids get you down.

Hey! I don't have feathers! 

/any more.....

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 8

Aww, thank you so much, everyone! Love all the pics of birds, hee. We used to have a Hyacinth Macaw stay in boarding at the animal hospital. His name was Sai. He was adorable, super shy though. It was only after I stopped working there that he would greet me and I would have to pet him, haha. 

And that cockatiel looks just like my handsome fella. 

Thanks again <3

• Love 10

Hey everyone Yulin is in just 2 weeks. 1000s and 1000s of dogs and cats will be tortured as painfully as possible till they die. Many of these are stolen pets. There's surveillance videos online of them already stealing pet dogs from yards. Also many many videos and photos of them burning the dogs and cats alive or ripping their limbs off as they scream or flaying them alive or boiling cats and puppies while they scream for mercy.  It's very horrific hellish inhumane and haunting. 

• Love 1

Long day … California primary voting, work, Thing1's pallet of belongings (mostly books) arrived damaged from England, talking to FedEx and insurance for the damage, having a disagreeable lunch with divisional executives ...

giphy.gif

That's a relief! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Long day … California primary voting, work, Thing1's pallet of belongings (mostly books) arrived damaged from England, talking to FedEx and insurance for the damage, having a disagreeable lunch with divisional executives ...

giphy.gif

That's a relief! 

You deserve a break!

• Love 5
12 hours ago, boes said:

You deserve a break!

It's hard work keeping the world safe from democracy one underwire at a time.

I went through Thing1's packing list this morning for the insurance claim. 63 hardcover math and physics books have their bindings broken, anything made of glass is destroyed, and most of her dishes and crockery are ruined. It's a shame losing so much trunk sale Burleigh Staffordshire and Societé Ceramique Maestricht.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I went through Thing1's packing list this morning for the insurance claim. 63 hardcover math and physics books have their bindings broken, anything made of glass is destroyed, and most of her dishes and crockery are ruined. It's a shame losing so much trunk sale Burleigh Staffordshire and Societé Ceramique Maestricht.

I feel for you and for your daughter, Cupid!

PearliteLite's coming back permanently from New Haven later this month, and it's not going to be pretty... Books number around 1000. Our close friend has a big red Ford 150 [in which we've made some very swank arrivals at the New Haven Hotel and various restaurants, I might add...] to which a trailer will be attached--good thing I won't be there for the loading. And at this end, her rooms gradually became catch-alls. I'm going to need a bigger storage bin.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, pearlite said:

I feel for you and for your daughter, Cupid!

PearliteLite's coming back permanently from New Haven later this month, and it's not going to be pretty... Books number around 1000. Our close friend has a big red Ford 150 [in which we've made some very swank arrivals at the New Haven Hotel and various restaurants, I might add...] to which a trailer will be attached--good thing I won't be there for the loading. And at this end, her rooms gradually became catch-alls. I'm going to need a bigger storage bin.

Moving across the county, or across an ocean, isn't much fun. Damage is going to happen.

Mr. Stunt handled the insurance estimator and bookbinder at the same time; the estimator turned a decidedly unpleasant shade of green at the book repair appraisal. Thing1 had accumulated almost 350 books in nine months -- That's my girl. Her undamaged belongings have been loaded into an enclosed trailer for her return to Stanford. 

Thing1 gave away the most of her random collection of dishes before she left for Oxford, and her little collection of trunk sale treasures was something she could return to England with every breakfast or cup of tea -- Been there, sifting though earthquake rubble for what was left of a Metlox set. <sniff>

I picked up a set of Rörstrand Mon Amie that needs a good home.

Was PearliteLite a seminary or philosophy major at Yale?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Moving across the county, or across an ocean, isn't much fun. Damage is going to happen.

Mr. Stunt handled the insurance estimator and bookbinder at the same time; the estimator turned a decidedly unpleasant shade of green at the book repair appraisal. Thing1 had accumulated almost 350 books in nine months -- That's my girl. Her undamaged belongings have been loaded into an enclosed trailer for her return to Stanford. 

Thing1 gave away the most of her random collection of dishes before she left for Oxford, and her little collection of trunk sale treasures was something she could return to England with every breakfast or cup of tea -- Been there, sifting though earthquake rubble for what was left of a Metlox set. <sniff>

I picked up a set of Rörstrand Mon Amie that needs a good home.

Was PearliteLite a seminary or philosophy major at Yale?

Mmmm, bookbinding, almost a lost trade.

And I remember Mon Amie--kind of blue and white 60s looking.

PLL finished a combined M Div and M Theology. Mind you, she strays more into the philosophy end of things, and is dithering over a doctorate in Comp Lit/Philosophy at U of T or a post in the Church, or combining the two... Or never making up her mind.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, pearlite said:

Mmmm, bookbinding, almost a lost trade.

Very specialized, but wherever you have wealthy people buying expensive goods, you have trades people there to maintain and repair.

Repairing the bindings on the broken text books will be cheaper than buying new -- The cheapest repurchase was €203 (about $240), but repairs would be $65 -- A bargain.

And I remember Mon Amie--kind of blue and white 60s looking.

Mon%20Amie%20Group%20Product.jpg

Thing1 was a big fan of vintage Scandinavian Modern design before it became new again.

PLL finished a combined M Div and M Theology. Mind you, she strays more into the philosophy end of things, and is dithering over a doctorate in Comp Lit/Philosophy at U of T or a post in the Church, or combining the two... Or never making up her mind.

<sigh> -- Thing1 is still a Math/Physics major at Stanford, but after her studies at Oxford is considering a M Aeronautical Engineering. Two of her British roommates graduate this spring, and will intern at the European Space Agency and study at Université de Lyon for M.Sc., and has inspired her.

Thng2 is in Mechanical Engineering at UCLA, drifting along on the dean's list. He realized just recently that the engineering school is producing drones for tech and industry -- That's the way it's always been. He said he'll graduate, but doesn't think he'll go after an advanced degree. Things have come too easily to him and he has doubts what to do with that responsibility.

29 minutes ago, pearlite said:

I liked this one

DfGTyu-WkAAojDL.jpg

That's how it works at our house.

Looking for the cat: leave an empty box or paper bag on the floor, and it becomes a cat magnet.

• Love 7

Bourdain's suicide--PLL texted me early this morning. On instinct alone, and I'm no diagnostician, I feel like he was one of those brilliant people who hid depression really well. RIP

• Love 6
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Speaking of moving, how is your move going MollyB?

It's been a journey. Grab a glass of wine.*

My realtor suggested I get a professional packer and then we had a good laugh at that because he and I both knew I would have to tell the history of every item (since I'm of that age that tells long, drawn out narratives of everything*) and I would never get packed up.  The reality of moving/packing is that you come in contact with every material thing in your life.  I realized that I have been schlepping a lot of baggage around for the last 40-50 years and it's not my stuff!  Things my mother gave me, my mother-in-law gave me, stuff I bought and my kids and I needed that no one needs or uses now.  I was hosting an emotional warehouse of useless shit.

So, hello Goodwill.  Six (yup, count 'em) Toyota Highlander loads and I have one more small one.  Two truck loads of unusable shit to the dump.  One day of putting the contents of the garage (construction remnants and old tools)  at the end of the driveway (my neighbors are like locusts when it comes to freebies) and the grand finale: a "furniture sale ------>" sign on Saturday that resulted in all my furniture (nothing remotely expensive or collectible) being sold in a day and netting me $250.  Which is a lot more than I would have paid to have it hauled away.  I only kept what I wanted to keep.  My couch, my bed and the barrister's bookcase in which resides my extensive Fiesta ware collection.  My (pyrographic) studio also got the machete treatment and I only have the equipment I will need.  Sentiment can be controlled!

And I mentioned before that the stress of this little adventure put me back a few steps in my anxiety treatment.  That is under control thanks to my doctor who prescribed temporary meds and my therapist Linda (who I can not say enough good about).  Linda did save my life/sanity and continues to do so.  Yesterday she gave me a lavender-filled microwavable heat pack she made herself that is extra long so when I use it is "a big hug from me".  I love that woman.

The house will go on the market soon and I am living here in minimalist bliss.  My son will drive me and my few possessions down to the golden state when the time comes.  Until them I am excited about the next leg of my journey in this life.

So the move's going pretty well. (to answer your question in the non-old person way*)

• Love 12

That is a lot. I dread the day we have to move out of this old place. My DH is a hoarder from way back. He has over 200 different model rail road sets and accessories, innumerable tools, camera equipment and papers- so many papers. He is such a sentimentalist, can't part with anything. I would give my left nut (figuratively speaking) to live in minimalist bliss. You sound really contented but it was a rough journey, I bet. I am so glad you have such a great therapist and I'm sure you will love your new adventure.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

That is a lot. I dread the day we have to move out of this old place. My DH is a hoarder from way back. He has over 200 different model rail road sets and accessories, innumerable tools, camera equipment and papers- so many papers. He is such a sentimentalist, can't part with anything. I would give my left nut (figuratively speaking) to live in minimalist bliss. You sound really contented but it was a rough journey, I bet. I am so glad you have such a great therapist and I'm sure you will love your new adventure.

time for a call to danielle at american pickers?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

For the love of Lord Ganesha, are we going to war with Canada?!?

You mean the trade talks? Excuse my lack of news-awareness.

If so, at least they're all in a beautiful, civilized place, la Malbaie--exquisite inns and really wonderful French food. Too bad Trump's a vulgarian.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, pearlite said:

You mean the trade talks? Excuse my lack of news-awareness.

If so, at least they're all in a beautiful, civilized place, la Malbaie--exquisite inns and really wonderful French food. Too bad Trump's a vulgarian.

I travelled there in my twenties with my parents - we stayed in a beautiful hotel (the name of which I wish I could remember now!) with a renowned restaurant, and I swore I saw Denys Arcand dining there! One of my few brushes with celebrities.

• Love 6