Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

(edited)

And PearliteLite begins the road back from New Haven to Toronto...

Yes, kids, you may be thinking Grapes of Wrath--we're classy that way.

Exit from New Haven June 18.jpg

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Capricasix said:

Safe travels, Pearlite and PearliteLite! I bet you will heave a sigh of relief when you cross the border ??

Oh I'm not driving, Capricasix! I'm still stuck here because of the York strike dragging on.

Our dear friend, owner of big red truck, has always helped her move. He likes to hit the shoreline towns and eat seafood.

But, yeah--given how Canadians on student visas [and they're fingerprinted now] are treated at the border, I'm going to be relieved when she's across, thanks.

• Love 10
(edited)

Who's a baby?

There was a Nature program on giraffes recently, but I don't remember a mention of their sleeping habits. Being flight animals, I assumed they slept on their feet since it's a major production for them to stand up.

Drummer Vinnie Paul, co-founding drummer of the revered Texas metal band Pantera, has died. Paul was 54. Paul was best known for his work as the drummer in the bands Pantera and Hellyeah.

The Texas-born Paul formed Pantera alongside his brother, guitar virtuoso "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, and bassist Rex Brown in 1981. The band spent roughly their first decade as ardent disciples of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, blending in elements of thrash and glam-metal band fronted by David Lee Roth–style singer Terry Glaze. After recording three albums in the early Eighties the band recruited singer Phil Anselmo in 1987 to form Pantera's classic lineup of Anselmo, Abbott, Paul and Brown.

With 1990's "Cowboys From Hell," their major-label debut, the band took a major step with production and mastering by Terry Date and Howie Weinberg, and they quickly became leaders of a new school of metal. The group turned their focus to grinding, hypnotic deep rhythms, powered by Paul's nimble double-kick work. Their next album, "Vulgar Display of Power," was a near-perfect example of what would come to be known as groove metal and a blueprint for how heavy music sounded throughout the Nineties into the early aughts.

Pantera took it further with their follow-up, 1994's "Far Beyond Driven," debuting at Number One on the Billboard sales chart and still stands, in many fans' opinion, as the heaviest record to do so, with "The Great Southern Trendkill" arriving two years later. Three years after 2000's "Reinventing the Steel," Pantera disbanded following the heroin overdose after a Texas homecoming show and continued addiction of Anselmo.

Following Pantera, the Abbott Brothers formed Damageplan and released 2004's "New Found Power," but the band's tenure was tragically cut short when Dimebag was shot and killed onstage by a deranged fan in December 2004.

Two years after the death of his brother, Paul returned to music with the metal supergroup Hellyeah, which featured Mudvayne singer Chad Gray, guitarist Greg Tribbett, Nothingface guitarist Tom Maxwell, and bassist Jerry Montano; Paul's Damageplan bandmate Bob Zilla ultimately replaced Montano on bass. The group released five albums together over the past decade, most recently 2016's Unden!able.

Born in Texas, Paul credited his Lone Star roots for his powerful groove. “The Texas thing is part of it, growing up on a healthy dose of ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I also was a metal-head from day one. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Van Halen, all my favorite bands had really great grooves to their music,” he told OnlineDrummer.com a few years ago.

Vinnie Paul – Hellyeah – Exclusive Interview

It's Vinnie Paul's influence and drumming legacy with Pantera that leaves an indelible mark. Pantera's punishing groove and borderline-industrial howl endures and inspires rockers and metalheads to this day. Their longstanding collaboration with producer Terry Date was replicated in the work of some of the biggest metal bands of the aughts. Bands like Lamb of God, Slipknot and Five Finger Death Punch owe their careers and Ferraris to Vinnie Paul and the vision of Pantera.

"No further details are available at this time. The family requests you please respect their privacy during this time." -- Pantera's Facebook page

Pantera destroying the Monsters of Rock -- Emilia, Italy 1992

Hellyeah -- Hush -- 2015

Go with God, PearliteLite and the Big Red Truck.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

my daughter and grand are coming for a visit in july...she says she is not only bringing her passport but her us citizenship papers and phone numbers of her boss at the army base just in case she has any problems....can't wait to see them..it's been about 3 yrs.

one of the first things she wants to do is go to the white spot...it is her favourite restaurant....

then on one of the days, we will go to victoria and have high tea at the empress hotel.

just so excited.

• Love 10

Scones, with clotted cream and orange marmalade, Coronation Chicken on toast points, a selection of petits fours, and a pot of Lapsang Souchong ... Heaven.

It's moving weekend for everyone; Thing1, Mr. Stunt and I, drove up to San Francisco Thursday night with Thing1's remaining Oxford belongings for resettlement. Thing1 rents a mother-in-law's apartment that was remodeled during her internship, and we got her resettled for fall semester. 

The mothership sends a crew for a simulcast with KTIS at the Sonoma-Marin Fair. Yesterday's highlight was the World's Ugliest Dog contest. Zsa Zsa the bulldog won, and she's a sweetheart.

ny-1529814109-pz6c7k2mmq-snap-image

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Scones, with clotted cream and orange marmalade, Coronation Chicken on toast points, a selection of petits fours, and a pot of Lapsang Souchong ... Heaven.

It's moving weekend for everyone; Thing1, Mr. Stunt and I, drove up to San Francisco Thursday night with Thing1's remaining Oxford belongings for resettlement. Thing1 rents a mother-in-law's apartment that was remodeled during her internship, and we got her resettled for fall semester. 

The mothership sends a crew for a simulcast with KTIS at the Sonoma-Marin Fair. Yesterday's highlight was the World's Ugliest Dog contest. Zsa Zsa the bulldog won, and she's a sweetheart.

ny-1529814109-pz6c7k2mmq-snap-image

Are you still in SF?  It's been a crowded and busy weekend with all the Pride celebrations.  And the heat across the bay where we now live has been something, 108 yesterday.  

I'm so glad you've found a good place for Thing1 to live in SF - it's not easy these days!

Edited by boes
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, boes said:

Are you still in SF?  It's been a crowded and busy weekend with all the Pride celebrations.  And the heat across the bay were we now live has been something, 108 yesterday.  

I'm so glad you've found a good place for Thing1 to live in SF - it's not easy these days!

Amusing moments of gridlock wouldn't be an exaggeration. 

I'm at the fairgrounds stuffing gimme' bags, while Mr. Stunt and Thing1 get her car out of storage. Thing1 needs to prepare a meeting her department advisor Tuesday. The plan is to leave SF noon and back to LA.

• Love 4

gosh i loved san francisco....

we even took a ride in a pedi cab....he was an aussie but knew lots about sf and the earthquake that happened a year and a half before and different touristy things to do...even explained why the coit tower looked like a fire nozzle..

also drove down lombardi.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/23/2018 at 10:32 AM, peacheslatour said:

My god that looks uncomfortable.

Looks like a weird yoga pose :)  My dog loves to do "poses" like that.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 6
On 6/24/2018 at 10:46 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

An admirable arrangement, but sorry about the horrendous heat!

Chez Pearlite, we're rocking the book boxes in the front hall and elsewhere, and many lovely items in the new Vuitton line from Rubbermaid...all over the place. Rehoming will be a process--a welcome one, but a process.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, pearlite said:

An admirable arrangement, but sorry about the horrendous heat!

We had an in with the apartment; Mr. Stunt's brother owns the property.

Actually, the weather was lovely in SF over the weekend. Driving inland to get to US Hwy5 it got warmer and more congested -- Lots of emergency vehicles going to the Horse and Flat Fire.

It isn't summer in California if something isn't on fire.

Chez Pearlite, we're rocking the book boxes in the front hall and elsewhere, and many lovely items in the new Vuitton line from Rubbermaid...all over the place. Rehoming will be a process--a welcome one, but a process.

The older they get, the bigger and more numerous are their belongings.

I'm so happy Thing1 is back in California and in the same time zone, I could plotz.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

@Cupid Stunt, I knew Dimebag was murdered, but I didn't know it was on stage, damn!  The one thing I will always love Pantera for...they did music for the Spongebob episode "Pre Hibernation Week"

Dimebag's murder was awful: he had so much more to do. Vinnie was gutted, but he went on with like-minded musicians in Hellyeah, and had an excellent career.

There was a Spongebob collectable EP that was released with the Pre Hibernation Week song. So much fun!

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

There was a Spongebob collectable EP that was released with the Pre Hibernation Week song. So much fun!

awwww I had no idea!  I'll be 50 next month, so I'm not exactly a kid, and to this day I have my guilty pleasure Sundays, consisting of blueberry pie & Spongebob :)

• Love 5
(edited)

I attended a Renaissance faire, and there was a woman who called herself a Spirit Reader (I don't know what that means, but I imagine that it involves pagan animism). She was reading one of our group and she pointed at me and intoned that my spirit animal was The Spider.

<snorting out some grog> "Do tell."

-- You are the maker and keeper of your own destiny.

"Along came a Spyder and picked up a rider and took him down the road to eternity ..."

-- Umm ...

"All righty then … I'm going to go sink my fangs into a turkey leg."

In the real world Moms Mabley is my spirit animal.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, ByTor said:

awwww I had no idea!  I'll be 50 next month, so I'm not exactly a kid, and to this day I have my guilty pleasure Sundays, consisting of blueberry pie & Spongebob :)

The EP is kind of rare and expensive, but I see them once in a while at 2nd hand record shops. GoogleFu and you shall be rewarded.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

:(  i took a quiz to find my spirit animal...

it's a turtle...

so much for my fantasy of it being an eagle.

on the chinese zodiac, i am an earth ox....

le sigh

Can you link the quiz? Mine will probably be naked mole rat. :(

• Love 4
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Can you link the quiz? Mine will probably be naked mole rat. :(

I'm a deer.  As in venison burgers, not "oh how sweet".

I think I'll go munch on the neighbors foliage now.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, boes said:

I'm a deer.  As in venison burgers, not "oh how sweet".

I think I'll go munch on the neighbors foliage now.

I'm a deer too!  You're venison burgers, I'm probably the one who got smacked by a car on the turnpike LOL

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I'm a deer too!  You're venison burgers, I'm probably the one who got smacked by a car on the turnpike LOL

HAHAHA!  In my neck of the woods, that wouldn't stop anyone from making a meal.

• Love 8

I got snake. I think these tests randomly assign things though. I remember when my friend Trent and his friend and me did one on on what 90s movie girl we'd be and we all got Cher from Clueless even though we gave different answers. Then I retook it with same answers and got Sarah from The Craft. 

• Love 8

I got a raise today but still have a lunchtime job interview with their competition tomorrow ?.  

Through this HELL week of the whole world being fucking upside down George, as usual, has been an absolute angel to me. 

Did anyone notice anything weird with their internet or cell data today? There was a lot of outages in my area and some major sites like slack crashed too it was such a coincidence. 

My sun sign is Virgo and moon sign is Gemini and I think those are accurate. 

• Love 9

Congratulations on the raise, Petunia!

Nail that job interview!

18 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

On with the spirit animal game report:

Ist try - Owl

2nd try for fun - Wolf

3rd time because this is silly - Dragon

Assessment: I contain multitudes and morphed into a Chimera.

The Karmaweather report:

I'm a pain in the Horse, with the full moon rising over my washing machine.

• Love 8

That interview was a fail. She thought I was a bad fit since I'm in sales now and this job is support. Stupid since she had my resume and recruited me so it's not like this is new information! And my last job wasn't sales it was merchandising/pricing. Plus I agreed to interview after reading description so it not like I have an aversion to customer service. 

Some interviews are such waste of time or even rude, ugh. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

That interview was a fail. She thought I was a bad fit since I'm in sales now and this job is support. Stupid since she had my resume and recruited me so it's not like this is new information! And my last job wasn't sales it was merchandising/pricing. Plus I agreed to interview after reading description so it not like I have an aversion to customer service. 

She sounds like she's incompetent and unprofessional. I think you dodged a bullet. Congrats on your raise and onward and upward. ;-)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

Sales/merchandising experience doesn't work with knowledgeable support staff? She doesn't know what she's talking about, and can't read a resume -- With people like that doing the hiring, you're well out of a hot mess.

Keep on keepin' on, Petunia.

• Love 8
(edited)

Some of you are planning to join one of the various protests, actions, and/or demonstrations that will be taking place this weekend. We were turned away by a police cordon near downtown, so we took our protest to the 101 overpass in Echo Park until a DOT maintenance man asked us to move on -- CHIPs notified LAPD we were slowing down the traffic on the freeway. 

Personal security is important for those to peacefully assemble, and I put together a list from my years of protesting:

- Go with a buddy, that way you have at least one person looking out for you/watching your back and vice versa.

- Carry cash and make sure to carry a valid picture ID!

- Bring a pocket flashlight.

- Get and wear a go pro that is automatically updating to the cloud.

- Bring a pocket charger for your cell phone and go pro regardless of whether it is supposed to be a long day.

- Make sure your personal electronic devices all have sufficient password protection and encryption on them. And have them set to upload to the cloud at a regular interval.

- Turn off fingerprint access to unlock your phone and delete your finger prints from the memory. Some jurisdictions allow law enforcement to compel you to unlock your phone if it has finger print based access. Or get a disposable phone just for this occasion.

- Turn off your phone and other personal electronic devices option to connect to known wifi as it can be used as a way to fail your encryption.

- If you're like so many people and your phone keeps track of everything, have essential phone numbers Sharpied on your upper arm or leg just in case.

- Bring a bandana or neck gaiter and water so you can make a make shift gas mask in case things get out of hand and tear gas or pepper spray is deployed.

- Bring a bottle of saline eye rinse in case you need to rinse your eyes out if tear gas or pepper spray is deployed.

- Bring plenty of water and some snacks to make sure you’re properly hydrated and you’ve got enough fuel in your system to get through the day.

- Dress in layers so you are prepared for the weather and make sure you have good shoes/boots and a change of socks in case they should get wet. A set of silk base layer undersocks is a good idea regardless of the weather. They’ll help keep your feet warm or cool as needed and they’ll provide some protection in case your shoes/boots and socks get wet. And something to keep the back of your neck and your ears warm if you’re going to be someplace cold.

- Bring/wear a hat to keep the sun off your head or to keep it warm depending on the weather.

- Bring/wear eye protection. Specifically sunglasses that are impact rated. (You should be able to pick up military surplus ones pretty cheap).

- Sunscreen, skin moisturizer, and lip balm. Even if its cold you’ll need these.

- If you need to take regular/routine prescription medication: bring it in its original container, with the prescription details on the label. If its a gel based application and comes in a packet, make sure you’ve got a hard copy of the prescription with you.

- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. You don’t have to be paranoid, but have a sufficient level of situational awareness. If something looks and/or feels hinky or the hair on the back of your neck stands up, head on home or go get a drink or go back to your hotel. Know who and what is around you, keep your valuables in front pockets or in secure/securable purses/bags, and keep those where they can’t be easily snatched or accessed.

- Have a contact plan for both linking up and communicating in case one gets separated from anyone you’re with.

- Have a contact plan to stay in touch with someone who isn’t at the march, but knows that you’re there and a regular set of contact times.

- Have a lawyer you can contact if necessary and that your outside contact could contact if you don’t check in. Make sure you have all of your contact’s phone numbers memorized in case your phone is damaged or taken by law enforcement should the worst happen and you’re arrested.

- Bring a sharpie to take down badge numbers if necessary. And if necessary write them on your hand.

**** Should the worst happen and you get caught up in a peaceable assembly that suddenly turns not so peaceable ****

- Do not resist law enforcement. Just do what they say, let your arms go limp, and do what you can to avoid a reflex response to resist – that can get you charged with assault on a law enforcement officer.

- Be respectful and polite when dealing with the authorities – law enforcement, the National Park Service, whoever.

- If you are arrested, ask for a lawyer and then shut up. Do not say anything else or answer any other questions until your lawyer arrives. In fact let the lawyer do the talking.

**** One last item: some of you probably carry a pocket knife or multitool everywhere. Or everywhere that you’re normally allowed. I would recommend not carrying anything on your possession that could be construed as a concealed weapon or even an openly carried one. Even if you’re in a state/jurisdiction that allows for concealed or open carry of knives and/or other weapons – don’t. Being part of a march or peaceful assembly that turns ugly is not a good time to attempt firearms (or knife) normalization.

Stay Frosty!

"Congress shall make no law… abridging…the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

--Amendment 1, Bill of Rights, US Constitution

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 11

Joe Jackson, patriarch of the legendary Jackson family, which included Michael and Janet Jackson, has died June 27, 2018 at age 89. No cause of death was given, though he had reportedly been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Officially, Joe Jackson was a band manager, taking five of his sons from a locally celebrated pop vocal group in Gary, Ind., in the mid-1960s to international acclaim, acting as the launchpad to superstardom for his son Michael. Their paths would be revealed through the decades as checkered.

Joe Jackson, born in Arkansas on July 26, 1928, was the eldest of five children of Samuel and Chrystal Jackson. Jackson's parents separated in 1942, leaving Joe to travel between his father in Oakland, Calif. and his mother in East Chicago, Ind., before settling in the latter. In his early 20s, while moonlighting in a blues band with his brother Luther, Joe met Katherine Scruse, whom he would marry in November 1949. (It would be his second, following a brief marriage that was annulled.) Rebbie Jackson — the first of their 10 children — was born in 1950; Jackie in 1951; Tito in 1953; Jermaine in 1954; La Toya in 1956; Marlon in 1957; Brandon in 1957; Michael in 1958; Randy in 1961; and Janet in 1966.

In the early 1960s, Jackson was working in a steel mill when he formed — or regimented, with regular daily practice scheduled by the tempestuous family head — a band sourced from his five sons: Jermaine, Jackie, Marlon, Tito and the youngest, Michael, as its charismatic lead singer. Through performances at local malls and talent shows, the group quickly cultivated a sterling local reputation, eventually taking top prize in a contest at the Apollo Theater in New York in 1967, when Michael was 9 years old. After auditioning in July 1968, The Jackson 5 was signed to Berry Gordy's legendary Motown Records in March 1969. The group released its first single, "I Want You Back," that October, becoming its first No. 1 hit the following January. The group's first album, Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5, would tally an astounding 10 million sales over just 10 months; the following April, the Jackson 5's classic "ABC" would dethrone The Beatles' "Let It Be" from the top of the singles chart.

Later in life, however — after "Jackson Mania" and Saturday morning cartoons, solo careers and meet-and-greets with the Queen of England — a darker public picture of the Jackson family's internal life was slowly revealed. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey in 1993, Michael Jackson revealed that the drive behind his and his brothers' early success was a harsh regime enforced by Joe, bordering on physical and mental abuse. Joe Jackson and some of the other Jackson siblings denied those allegations, describing the treatment as in line with the stern discipline practices of the day.

"There was a lot of love in that little house," Jackie Jackson, the eldest brother, is quoted as saying in The Jacksons: Legacy. "My mother was the sweetest woman you could ever meet. ... My father was the one who cracked the whip."

In a 2007 interview with The Chicago Defender, Joe Jackson explained that his form of discipline was not unlike any other black family of the era. "Yeah, I whipped my kids and back then there was nothing wrong with that," he said. "Nowadays people want to call the police on you. The people complaining about what I did got whippings from their parents too."

Despite the internal tensions the allegations caused within the family, Jackson was seen holding his son's hand as they walked into the Santa Barbara County Superior Court, before Michael's 2005 trial on charges of child molestation, and never wavered in maintaining his son's innocence. In fact, Jackson acknowledged Michael did not exactly have the most idyllic of childhoods, saying it may have influenced the public's perception of The King of Pop. As he told CNN in 2013: "Well ... Michael was a big old kid himself. He was still — had the mind of a kid. But he loved kids so much. And the things that he didn't have, he tried to help them to have it."

When questioned about any regrets in that CNN interview, Jackson replied: "Well, I'm glad I was tough, because look what I came out with. I came out with some kids that everybody loved all over the world. And they treated everybody right."

• Love 3

Legendary Top 40 DJ Dan Ingram dies at 83 on June 24, 2018

"Big" Dan Ingram, the popular WABC-AM DJ who gave area baby boomers their fill of Top 40 hits during the 1960s and 1970s, has died at 83 at his home in South Florida, according to his son Chris Ingram, of Cherry Hill.

Ingram, who frequently yelled, “Hey, Kemosabe,” across the airwaves, joined WABC in 1961 and, for the next two decades, provided listeners with the latest hits from super-bands like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and one-hit wonders like the Archies and Blue Swede. Ingram occasionally tampered with the songs, too, for comical effect, including the Blue Swede cover of “Hooked on a Feeling,” which he manipulated so that the catchy — and, to some, annoying — “ooka-chucka-ooga-ooga” refrain, played on a loop over and over again. He was also remembered for the jaunty Billy May song "Tri-Fi Drums," which he used as the closing theme on his broadcasts.

Ingram continued working after WABC made the switch to talk radio, spinning at WKTU-FM in 1984 and eventually moving to oldies station WCBS-FM, where he remained until his retirement in 2003.

He was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2007. He was also the winner of the prestigious Edward R. Murrow Award for an anti-smoking campaign he worked on. As his CBS obituary notes, Ingram was “a radio pioneer and considered by some to be the best Top 40 DJ of all time,” according to the National Radio Hall of Fame.

He was also among the funniest DJs of that era, when on-air personalities spent almost as much time joking with listeners as they did playing music. Ingram was the master of the ‘talk-up,’ speaking over the introduction and finishing his thoughts at the exact moment the lyrics started, established himself as the leading rock radio personality in North America.

Broadway Bill Lee, another veteran DJ who worked at WKTU, tweeted: “A DJ’s DJ. Thanks for showing us just how well it can be done.”

His colleagues at WCBS wrote on the station’s website that Ingram started his broadcasting career at small New York radio stations at Hofstra College and in New Rochelle and Patchogue. "After bouncing around a bunch of radio stations, on July 3rd, 1961, he started at WABC and you couldn’t go anywhere in the area without hearing Dan and WABC! Many consider this time the glory days of radio and Dan was the poster boy!" his colleagues wrote. "Dan Ingram will be missed by us all, thank you for the gift of great radio for so many years!”

Farewell, Kemosabe

• Love 4

Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canuck Preverts! I am lately feeling ever more grateful to be Canadian ??

Enjoy your day, whatever you choose to do, and stay cool and safe - it’s already 39C with the humidex here, and it’s only 9.15 am!

• Love 8