Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

(edited)

How old is she? Our neighbors used to have a white Pekingese they called Sniffles. They would let her out in the mornings before they went to work. She didn't know what to do so she would come to our house, soaking wet half the time. So I would dry her off and play with her. I decided her name was Lilly. She was so cute and sweet and I thought "Sniffles" was a stupid name.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Christiane Amanpour had an interview with Episcopal Bishop Michael Curry who delivered the address at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding.

Bishop Curry's another fine product of PearliteLite's alma mater, Yale Divinity School. PLL, who's a very good writer, and delivers a mean sermon, said, "Nice man, but [sermon] was all over the place."

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 3

It's not George or me it's just I work with animal charities and there's are some really evil people in the world. Depraved pieces of shit. And it pisses me off and makes me wish it weren't so. 

• Love 6
Just now, Petunia13 said:

It's not George or me it's just I work with animal charities and there's are some really evil people in the world. Depraved pieces of shit. And it pisses me off and makes me wish it weren't so. 

I had to quit being a vet tech for this very reason. I know exactly how you feel and bless you for being strong enough to keep doing it. People like you are in short supply in this world. Keep being strong for the animals. (((((HUGS)))))

• Love 8
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, Petunia13 said:

Mean people suck. And they will always be with us.

Do good, and give the world the best you have anyway.

Keep the faith,Petunia.

• Love 5

So I've been feeling anxious for awhile now since trying to decrease my meds. Today I just lost my cool at one point, slammed a glass down on the table in front of gramps and a stranger, and had to leave the room eventually and proceed to rant to my mom on the phone. I don't know if I should just ask my doctor to put me back on my old dosage, or see if my body gets used to the dose but man, it blows. I'm just annoyed and short of patience, and even the phone constantly ringing at work is driving me nuts. And I'm the receptionist, heh. Hopefully this is just a bad day and tomorrow will be better. 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, jewel21 said:

So I've been feeling anxious for awhile now since trying to decrease my meds

Why are you trying to decrease your meds? Is it because you just want to take less drugs? I ask because I am a believer in taking drugs if they help. Mr. AngelKitty takes Zoloft, and every once in a while he stops and I can always tell because of his behavior. So I flat out told him that if he wants to live with me, he must take his meds because I am not dealing with his moods otherwise.

I take one or two hydrocodones for back pain everyday. Before I ended up in the hospital with kidney failure, I was taking three ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours just to get through the day. They told me I couldn't take that anymore. As it turned out, I have a rare blood cancer and actually had chemo twice in the last three years. It went into remission, then came back a year later and is in remission again, but it's incurable so could come back. I only tell you this because I believe life is too short to be miserable. If there is a drug that helps you, for god's sake take it and don't feel guilty.

• Love 11

Hi, 

When I was put on Paxil, it was a super stressful time and I was really sick. My doctor put me on 30 mg. I felt good on that amount but my mother was always bitching that it was too high even though I told her that amount worked for me. She would talk about how much weight she gained on those meds, how hard it was for her to get off of them, how I should switch to another antidepressant, etc. My doctor never wanted to switch me or lower the amount until a few weeks ago. 

After seven years of listing to the same crap, and trying to lose weight to no avail, I figured I would try going down to 20 mg. I don't want to get off them completely because I feel I really need them, but I was hoping to lower them. My doctor has lowered them by 10% so every day I alternate between 30 mg and 20 mg but even that small drop is affecting me. I'm easily annoyed, prone to anger, jittery, and I can't fall asleep very quickly. This morning I apparently shut off all my alarms after going to bed at almost 1 am and woke up late and got to work an hour and fifteen minutes after my start time, ugh. 

My brother thinks it's all in my head and I just have to keep my mind busy and I can't be on meds forever, even though I believe in using meds if you need them. It's just annoying because I'm being surrounded by people who can't shut up and let me live my life and for some reason, they're getting to me and I'm listening to them. 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

My brother thinks it's all in my head and I just have to keep my mind busy and I can't be on meds forever

Dear Jewel, it's a shame you have to listen to people who are not doctors. I'm sure your family mean well, but your body is not the same as your mother's and you have to do what's good for your body. As for it being in your head, well, it is, the chemicals in your brain aren't working right and the drugs help to fix that. And of course you can be on meds forever, just ask diabetics.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

Dear Jewel, it's a shame you have to listen to people who are not doctors. I'm sure your family mean well, but your body is not the same as your mother's and you have to do what's good for your body. As for it being in your head, well, it is, the chemicals in your brain aren't working right and the drugs help to fix that. And of course you can be on meds forever, just ask diabetics.

Thanks. It's nice to chat with someone who gets it. 

• Love 10

Jewel, I will be on blood pressure meds for the rest of my life as was my mother and my aunt. Don't let people mess with what your doctor thinks is best for you. I know it's difficult, my mother had way too much influence over me too until I finally told her I was going to do what I thought best and I didn't want to discuss it further. If she started up again, I would make an excuse to get off the phone or loudly change the subject. She finally got the message. 

I hope you get comfortable again on whatever meds you and your doctor feel is right for you. You are a pretty tough cookie from what I've seen here, smart and independent.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Hi, 

When I was put on Paxil, it was a super stressful time and I was really sick. My doctor put me on 30 mg. I felt good on that amount but my mother was always bitching that it was too high even though I told her that amount worked for me. She would talk about how much weight she gained on those meds, how hard it was for her to get off of them, how I should switch to another antidepressant, etc. My doctor never wanted to switch me or lower the amount until a few weeks ago. 

After seven years of listing to the same crap, and trying to lose weight to no avail, I figured I would try going down to 20 mg. I don't want to get off them completely because I feel I really need them, but I was hoping to lower them. My doctor has lowered them by 10% so every day I alternate between 30 mg and 20 mg but even that small drop is affecting me. I'm easily annoyed, prone to anger, jittery, and I can't fall asleep very quickly. This morning I apparently shut off all my alarms after going to bed at almost 1 am and woke up late and got to work an hour and fifteen minutes after my start time, ugh. 

My brother thinks it's all in my head and I just have to keep my mind busy and I can't be on meds forever, even though I believe in using meds if you need them. It's just annoying because I'm being surrounded by people who can't shut up and let me live my life and for some reason, they're getting to me and I'm listening to them. 

1 hour ago, AngelKitty said:

18 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Jewel, I will be on blood pressure meds for the rest of my life as was my mother and my aunt. Don't let people mess with what your doctor thinks is best for you. I know it's difficult, my mother had way too much influence over me too until I finally told her I was going to do what I thought best and I didn't want to discuss it further. If she started up again, I would make an excuse to get off the phone or loudly change the subject. She finally got the message. 

I hope you get comfortable again on whatever meds you and your doctor feel is right for you. You are a pretty tough cookie from what I've seen here, smart and independent.

Tell them all, at least in your head, to shut up and let you handle your own life, nobody is a better expert at what you need.  I'm on a number of them, have been for the past 30 years and the buttinskis know to butt out. Your brother and mother included.  

There's no reason, ever, to be miserable or uncomfortable if you don't have to be.

I hope you're feeling better really soon!

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

10 minutes ago, boes said:

Tell them all, at least in your head, to shut up and let you handle your own life, nobody is a better expert at what you need.  I'm on a number of them, have been for the past 30 years and the buttinskis know to butt out. Your brother and mother included.  

There's no reason, ever, to be miserable or uncomfortable if you don't have to be.

I hope you're feeling better really soon!

Thanks, everyone!  You guys are awesome and I'm lucky to have found this site and everyone on this board. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Thanks, everyone!  You guys are awesome and I'm lucky to have found this site and everyone on this board. 

And, I just want to add, never tell anyone in your family or friends, what medications you are taking or why.  That works too.

• Love 14
(edited)

I've found that those who bitch and moan about others taking meds sure don't have trouble taking them when their turn in life comes and they end up needing some. My Mom's brother liked to look down on her because she needed meds due to a condition she was born with and later on in life due to a couple of seriously traumatic events in her late 20's. After those events she stayed on antidepressants which she would sometimes discuss with my Nana because she was an R.N. .  My Mom's brother was older and they were never really close growing up. At one point she went back to our hometown to make peace with him and his wife while in town for something else.

He had prostate cancer, was being a caregiver for the wife who had lupus (she was really judgmental of my Mom after marrying Uncle) and they had a medicine cabinet full of meds that belonged to each of them which the wife showed off. My Mom and his wife made up while commiserating about having chronic illnesses and having had ill Moms they had to care for while my Mom's brother apparently muttered around the house unhappy about her being there and that she and the wife were getting along.

When my Nana got to a point in her life in her early 70's where she needed quite a few meds to survive her brother tried throwing a fit over that fact during a family conference at the hospital. I only heard about it because I was too young to attend. Apparently he proclaimed that his sister wasn't going to be on meds for the rest of her life. I still don't know why he was even at that meeting. Do you think he turned down meds and treatment when he got eye cancer? Of course not.

Some people really love judging others and seem to find the fact that others take meds an easy way to do that. I agree with what's already been said @jewel21 concerning not talking to your family members anymore about your med intake if that's the reaction they continue to have. You don't need that kind of judgement in your life when your doing what's best for you.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 11
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, pearlite said:

Bishop Curry's another fine product of PearliteLite's alma mater, Yale Divinity School. PLL, who's a very good writer, and delivers a mean sermon, said, "Nice man, but [sermon] was all over the place."

(((PLL))) I find Bishop Curry more to the point with strong interviewers or in edited content. 

Fresh off royal sermon, bishop warns 'somebody woke up Jim Crow'

In my observation and experience, Jim Crow has never been put to rest legislatively, historically or culturally. Hatred and tribalism is a very busy and thriving enterprise that delivers benefit to the privileged.

We must challenge the clergy to call out evil by its name. "Jesus don't need no cowards," says Aunt Trinket.

"Evil is not a view ... it's an ingredient in us. In the world. Poured over us, filtering into our bodies, minds, hearts, into the pavement itself.” -- Phillip K. Dick

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
On 5/22/2018 at 2:16 PM, peacheslatour said:

I had to quit being a vet tech for this very reason. I know exactly how you feel and bless you for being strong enough to keep doing it. People like you are in short supply in this world. Keep being strong for the animals. (((((HUGS)))))

Thank you, for being you.  Often when I'm discouraged I think of comments you have made. 

This group here is pretty amazing ❤️?

• Love 10

this morning my daughter lizzie posted a pic of her and her sister in front of the white house in dc..

my daughter teri was in virginia for a course in the finance part of a dealership...she is the parts manager..she said that what she learns in the course would be a part of what the person in charge of fixed operations should know.  i asked her if she was going to be in charge of fixed op. and she said "h*ll no" the gm just wanted her to know so she can also run her department efficiently..  she flies home today and gets back here at around 2:30 pm.

• Love 9

I hope everyone and their loved ones are having a nice holiday weekend.  We are having a dog party here ??@peacheslatour thank you again for encouraging me, you convey so much so simply yet in such profound ways, and it is never taken lightly. 

• Love 10

A guitar and a defective amplifier precipitated the development of modern day distortion units or fuzz boxes. In the early 1960s, Nashville studio engineer Glenn Snoddy set out to invent a device to reproduce the unique and “fuzzy” sound that emanated from Grady Martin’s guitar while recording the hit song “Don’t Worry” with Marty Robbins. “[The sound] was so unusual that everybody agreed we should keep it,” Snoddy says, recalling the pivotal recording session at Bradley Studios. Soon after “Don’t Worry” entered the charts in October 1961, brothers Owen and Harold Bradley were flooded with calls from musicians and other studios wanting to know how they produced this new “commercial” sound. Some likened the sound to a baritone sax. Others guessed it was a trombone. Still others theorized the sound was made by a detuned bass guitar. Snoddy, described by Harold as a combination fixer and mixer, gave it some thought and came up with a fairly simple circuit device operated by a foot pedal. His invention distorted the guitars output signal and created a fuzzy sound. Snoddy and the Bradley brothers referred to the device as “The Fuzz.” After being shunned by a representative from Fender Musical Instruments Corp., Snoddy traveled to Chicago where he met M.H. Berlin, head of Gibson Guitar’s parent company. “They had a guitar player there, and when he plugged it in, they were amazed at what we had done,” he says. Gibson decided to mass produce the device, dubbing it the Gibson Fuzz-Tone. The company introduced it in 1962 and marketed the pedal under their Maestro brand for $40 retail. For the next seven years, Snoddy says Gibson paid him royalties for the invention. “I thought we did pretty well with it,” he says.

Interestingly, Gibson’s Fuzz-Tone didn’t exactly fly off the shelves , despite the initial fanfare. To the dismay of its dealers, early product shipments collected dust in music stores for more than two years after its debut. Then, in 1965, legendary Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards reportedly turned to the Fuzz-Tone or a similar device to bring a new sound to the band’s forthcoming single, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.” The result was the unmistakable buzzy guitar riff that propelled “Satisfaction” to the top of the charts, as well as sales of Gibson’s Fuzz-Tone and the iterations that followed. And it all began in Nashville during what Harold Bradley, now president of the Nashville Chapter of the American Federation of Musicians, describes as a “very unique and very fortuitous accident.”

Glenn Snoddy died Monday evening, May 21, 2018, at his Murfreesboro home. He was 96. Starting his career out as a radio engineer, Snoddy became one of Nashville’s top country music engineers in the 1940s. While working at the Quonset Hut, he oversaw sessions for Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, and Hank Williams. Snoddy engineered Williams’ last recording session in 1952.

In 1967, Snoddy acquired an old movie complex and established Woodland Studios, which became a frequented recording spot for artists like Loretta Lynn, Willie Nelson, Neil Young, and many others. Snoddy was also a U.S. Army veteran who served during World War II, earning three bronze stars.

Snoddy is survived by his son, James T. Snoddy ; daughters, Dianne Mayo (Lee), and Glenda Keller (Alan); grandchildren, Kyle Mayo (Bracey), Michael Mayo, Curtis Keller and Corey Keller (Maegan); and great-grand daughter, Magnolia Francis Mayo.

Glenn Branca, a composer whose clangorous guitar compositions inspired a few generations of avant-garde music and underground rock, died from throat cancer May 13. 2018. He was 69 years old. 

Branca, who was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in 1948, studied theater at Boston’s Emerson College. In Boston, he founded an experimental theater group, and he composed experimental music for the group’s productions. In the late ’70s, Branca moved to New York, where he and his fellow experimental theater artist Jeffrey Lohn formed the no wave band Theoretical Girls, which only released one single but which stayed together until 1981. Branca also started the label Neutral Records, which released early work from Sonic Youth. Branca also led noisy, experimental “guitar orchestras”; Sonic Youth members Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo both performed with him, as did Helmet’s Page Hamilton and Swans’ Michael Gira, Dan Braun, and Algis Kizys.

Branca continued to make droning, discordant, guitar-based experimental music for decades afterward. Eventually, he got academic attention for his work. In June 2001, a few months before 9/11, he composed a symphony for 100 electric guitars at the base of the World Trade Center. He also composed traditional symphonies. He was awarded a number of grants over the years, including a 2008 Foundation for Contemporary Arts Grants to Artists Award. Glenn Branca also contributed several opinion pieces to The New York Times.

Branca is survived by wife and music collaborator Reg Bloor.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

@jewel21 hope you are having a nice weekend. I hope your handsome debonair boy is well and you both ?  together today or alone. 

Thank you! My birthday is Thursday so I spent the weekend my mom's to celebrate (early.) Steve stayed behind but I got home a few hours ago. He's molting up a storm, feathers everywhere, but seems fine. And I am, too. I was much calmer at my mom's and able to sleep. I think until I move out and get away from the crazy, I need to stay on my previous dosage of meds. Called my doctor on Friday and hopefully she'll change my prescription back. 

I hope you had a nice weekend as well! How's George?

• Love 10

Ah, Jewel, your brother can go play on the 401 in traffic! (Or Autoroute 20 in Montreal?) Seriously, don’t pay a single bit of attention to what he says. This is between you and your doctor.

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Never mind.

Now my reply makes no sense ?

• Love 5