Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

From looking at Witney's IG and IG stories, it looks like Witney and hubby have purchased a nice crib in Utah. They have had landscaping done in their backyard and remodeled the master bedroom. Looking at some the pics Witney has shared, her house is not too shabby. It has got some nice square footage. I have to say, I am curious on just how much money these pro dancers make on DWTS.  Some of the posts I have read on the subject makes me believe, the salary is good, but not real good. I don't know what Witney's hubby does for a living. But for a pro dancer, Witney's house is muy Bueno.  I love the landscaping done in the backyard, and the master bedroom is not to shabby, although I would put a bit more color into it, too white for my taste. But I guess whatever floats one's boat.  I wonder if Witney is thinking of leaving DWTS and starting a family soon, because of the house they bought in Utah. I think Lindsay might be another one who will probably leave around the same time.  Well, just some musings on a lazy Saturday afternoon. 

Witney has been doing a lot of product placement on social media. I've always wondered how much they get paid for that stuff. She also just released a line of workout clothes.

4 hours ago, howmanywords said:

I actually agree with you. Sometimes so many tricks and gimmicks are thrown into freestyles that it ends up being too much. I think the last freestyle that made me feel anything was Nyle and Peta's. And as predictable as it was for him to dance to Sound of Silence, Peta really worked the hell out of that choreography.

You mean Peta's choreographer, Talia Favia, worked the hell out of that choreography. Peta did not choreograph Nyle's freestyle. 

• Love 1
On 10/13/2018 at 4:58 PM, spanana said:

This is also just my own opinion, but I also think it’s been a pill that Jenna had to swallow early on, to a lesser extent than Karina and in a different way. Jenna has straight up said how miserable she was and all the confidence issues she had in her early years at dwts. Some of that was body confidence issues (per her admission) but I think it was also she wasn’t getting the attention in LA that she was used to getting in the competitive dance world.  Growing up with Lindsay, Wit and others, she was the one with the technical accolades and was used to winning.  Then they go to LA and Lindsay and Wit made it to both SYTYCD and DWTS before her and both became successful pros when she was still languishing in the troupe, yet in her world she was the stronger dancer.  I don’t know that she knew what to do with that. 

To be fair to Lindsay (and Brandon, since they were dance partners), she would usually place close to Jenna whenever they were in the same competition. It was Witney who basically bombed on the Dancesport circuit. Her competition record looks to be a lot shorter than the other two. 

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, Toonces464 said:

Witney has been doing a lot of product placement on social media. I've always wondered how much they get paid for that stuff. She also just released a line of workout clothes.

You mean Peta's choreographer, Talia Favia, worked the hell out of that choreography. Peta did not choreograph Nyle's freestyle. 

Jenna used Talia Favia on the freestyle she did with Adam Ripon. I have never heard of her before, but I guess Talia has been on SYTYCD. 

4 hours ago, fpbl83 said:

To be fair to Lindsay (and Brandon, since they were dance partners), she would usually place close to Jenna whenever they were in the same competition. It was Witney who basically bombed on the Dancesport circuit. Her competition record looks to be a lot shorter than the other two. 

ITA with you. As much as Jenna gets on my nerves, she is a very talented dancer. And frankly, I can see why Witney's competition record is not as impressive as Jenna's and Lindsay's. Watching Witney sometimes in pro dances, she can look sloppy compared to some other dancers. It's hard to explain, it's like she is not as strong in her performance as some other pro dancers. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, fpbl83 said:

Oh, I agree.  I think Lindsay is a very good dancer.  I just meant that I think in Jenna's mind, she was better than the other girls and was used to being better, even if with Lindsay it was only marginally.  I think it had to sting a little they, especially Witney, went to Hollywood and made it to where she wanted to be first.   I think now it's all moot now that she has her fake season trophy and her pro spot and etc.

Also I'd argue what Witney does have is she's very telegenic and is the kind of dancer the tv camera loves. I think there is a world of difference between being a good technical dancer and knowing how to work the tv cameras.  Witney is good at the latter, which is really what is mostly required for DWTS.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, spanana said:

Oh, I agree.  I think Lindsay is a very good dancer.  I just meant that I think in Jenna's mind, she was better than the other girls and was used to being better, even if with Lindsay it was only marginally.  I think it had to sting a little they, especially Witney, went to Hollywood and made it to where she wanted to be first.   I think now it's all moot now that she has her fake season trophy and her pro spot and etc.

Also I'd argue what Witney does have is she's very telegenic and is the kind of dancer the tv camera loves. I think there is a world of difference between being a good technical dancer and knowing how to work the tv cameras.  Witney is good at the latter, which is really what is mostly required for DWTS.

Whitney is better at other styles than both Jenna and Lindsay and she got swag for days. Like I hate seeing Jenna dance anything but ballroom and Lindsay but witney get its. 

4 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

Whitney is better at other styles than both Jenna and Lindsay and she got swag for days. Like I hate seeing Jenna dance anything but ballroom and Lindsay but witney get its. 

This I wholeheartedly agree with. Witney has killed numerous hip hop and Jazz numbers on the show. But correct me if I'm wrong, I've read that she's like insanely cross trained in the dance styles. As in she can nail a number of different styles. May not be the brightest bulb in the room but the girl can dance.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

This I wholeheartedly agree with. Witney has killed numerous hip hop and Jazz numbers on the show. But correct me if I'm wrong, I've read that she's like insanely cross trained in the dance styles. As in she can nail a number of different styles. May not be the brightest bulb in the room but the girl can dance.

All three of the Utah women are extremely cross trained but I agree that if I think Witney is better at hip hop styles than the other two. 

23 minutes ago, spanana said:

All three of the Utah women are extremely cross trained but I agree that if I think Witney is better at hip hop styles than the other two. 

Whitney is a more of a natural at hiphop. U can tell the ones that may have been trained and taught and the ones that have it natural. When I see the others dance it such as Jenna and Lindsay, u can tell they were just taught and trained no real passion for it but witney has a real passion for it, she isnt just ballroom down.

The real difference between Witney and the other Utah women is that she is so naturally gorgeous. The others wear a lot of makeup and don't look that great without it. She is just so noticeable because of her beauty.

But yes, she can dance as well. And yes, I'm shallow.

5 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

The real difference between Witney and the other Utah women is that she is so naturally gorgeous. The others wear a lot of makeup and don't look that great without it. She is just so noticeable because of her beauty.

I always felt like witney didnt belong with Utah girls. How can I put this, they are so vanilla and bland and she got so much flavor. Its like she was meant to be brought up in LA or New York somewhere but Utah, get outta here.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, spanana said:

I agree with this.  Witney is the best out of the three when it comes to hip-hop.  Jenna is the best technical dancer in ballroom out of the three.  Others might disagree with me, but I also think Jenna is the best technically in contemporary too.

ETA - For contemporary, I was only talking about these three.  Out of all the Utah girls, Allison Holker was the best at contemporary.  I also liked Tanisha but she's only been a guest star a few times on DWTS.  Most of the time, it was with other Utah dancers.  Mark did feature Tanisha in the duel with Val when both Mark and Val played instruments.  Mark liked featuring Tanisha in the group dances too.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

I agree with this.  Witney is the best out of the three when it comes to hip-hop.  Jenna is the best technical dancer in ballroom out of the three.  Others might disagree with me, but I also think Jenna is the best technically in contemporary too.

It makes you wonder why Adam never did any ballroom dances. Jenna is certainly well trained in ballroom, and I'm sure Adam could have handled it. He would have done some awesome ballroom and Latin dances. Instead we got stuck with a bunch of forgettable contemporaries.

9 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

It makes you wonder why Adam never did any ballroom dances. Jenna is certainly well trained in ballroom, and I'm sure Adam could have handled it. He would have done some awesome ballroom and Latin dances. Instead we got stuck with a bunch of forgettable contemporaries.

That is why I don't consider his win a real win because she only did one ballroom/latin dance and that was cha cha cha which I have always considered the easist dance to catch on. 

21 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

That is why I don't consider his win a real win because she only did one ballroom/latin dance and that was cha cha cha which I have always considered the easist dance to catch on. 

I wouldn't consider any winner of a 4 week season a real season or a real winner.  It's not enough time to really learn enough dances.  No matter who won it would still be that way.  But I also think in general they were giving Adam the dances that would 1) help him win and 2) be the dances they thought his public wanted to see.  Which is why it's even funnier that he is judging Juniors because he is critiquing these kids on dances that he never even learned himself.  Mind you he doesn't do a lot of real critiquing of technique, but even still.

Also yes, when I refer to the Utah girls I mostly mean our current pros that grew up together.  So generally Lindsay, Witney and Jenna.  You can also throw Britt Cherry in that group who grew up with them, but she is obviously no longer on the show.  From what I saw, it sounds like she is working for World of Dance again for S3 and is busy with that.  I know Allison and others are from Utah, but I don't consider them the same generation as our current pros.

IMO Allison can dance all of their faces off in contemporary.  She is definitely the contemporary queen.  Of the current pros, I agree Jenna is the strongest at contemporary technique wise (and ballroom).  She also won that Dance Awards thing for contemporary when she in high school, which is usually held up as a pretty big honor.  As said, Wit is the strongest at hip hop and dances that require a natural groove or swag.  Lindsay is the best teacher (by far) and IMO best choreographer and knowing how to get the best out of her partner no matter what.  So they all have their strengths/weaknesses.  Witney's teaching and choreography are hit or miss depending on the season, but she's having a great season so far with Milo.  I'm still on the fence about Jenna as a teacher because Joe is beyond awful and Jake was beyond awful and lasted a week.  Adam barely counts since he would have won with anyone and barely learned any ballroom and Jenna's freestyle was bad.  My gut is Jenna is a good pro for someone with natural ability or somewhat of a dance background and not good for people with little talent/skill/performing experience.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, spanana said:

I wouldn't consider any winner of a 4 week season a real season or a real winner.  It's not enough time to really learn enough dances.  No matter who won it would still be that way.  But I also think in general they were giving Adam the dances that would 1) help him win and 2) be the dances they thought his public wanted to see.  Which is why it's even funnier that he is judging Juniors because he is critiquing these kids on dances that he never even learned himself.  Mind you he doesn't do a lot of real critiquing of technique, but even still.

Also yes, when I refer to the Utah girls I mostly mean our current pros that grew up together.  So generally Lindsay, Witney and Jenna.  You can also throw Britt Cherry in that group who grew up with them, but she is obviously no longer on the show.  From what I saw, it sounds like she is working for World of Dance again for S3 and is busy with that.  I know Allison and others are from Utah, but I don't consider them the same generation as our current pros.

IMO Allison can dance all of their faces off in contemporary.  She is definitely the contemporary queen.  Of the current pros, I agree Jenna is the strongest at contemporary technique wise (and ballroom).  She also won that Dance Awards thing for contemporary when she in high school, which is usually held up as a pretty big honor.  As said, Wit is the strongest at hip hop and dances that require a natural groove or swag.  Lindsay is the best teacher (by far) and IMO best choreographer and knowing how to get the best out of her partner no matter what.  So they all have their strengths/weaknesses.  Witney's teaching and choreography are hit or miss depending on the season, but she's having a great season so far with Milo.  I'm still on the fence about Jenna as a teacher because Joe is beyond awful and Jake was beyond awful and lasted a week.  Adam barely counts since he would have won with anyone and barely learned any ballroom and Jenna's freestyle was bad.  My gut is Jenna is a good pro for someone with natural ability or somewhat of a dance background and not good for people with little talent/skill/performing experience.

I hate to say this but its just something I have observed about Jenna. She is all about me, me, me so I think that is why she is not able to teach nondancers because she is about what makes her look good at the moment. I think if she can let go of this is about me and my choreography, then maybe just maybe she can teach anyone.

44 minutes ago, spanana said:

Maybe here's a good time to plug a couple of blog entries I've written on the topic:

'94 Dancesport Cohort - Updated review of the Lindsay, Witney, Jenna, etc. (beyond Utah) TV generation.

Dancesport Records - Summaries of Dancesport records for recent TV dancers.

Why is bobby going last again?? None of his dances have been worthy of the pimp spot but yet he gets again. Im glad tinashe in the early part of the lineup so people can stop complaining about she always gettting the last part of the lineup yet u got awful dancers like Bobby going last for 2nd time a row and nothing is said.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

Why is bobby going last again?? None of his dances have been worthy of the pimp spot but yet he gets again. Im glad tinashe in the early part of the lineup so people can stop complaining about she always gettting the last part of the lineup yet u got awful dancers like Bobby going last for 2nd time a row and nothing is said.

It could be worse. It could be Grocery Joe going last. I am really hoping that he gets eliminated tonight. I would hate for Evanna, and Tinashe and Alexis to leave before him. The bachelor nation is so huge and strong, I have a feeling he is gonna knock off some of the better dancers because of his fan base voting.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, BeeBop88 said:

It could be worse. It could be Grocery Joe going last. I am really hoping that he gets eliminated tonight. I would hate for Evanna, and Tinashe and Alexis to leave before him. The bachelor nation is so huge and strong, I have a feeling he is gonna knock off some of the better dancers because of his fan base voting.

I believe it too. Joe gets the lowest scores every time but he still here. 

• Love 1

I am getting so very old. I really don't get the Bachelor thing. The entire premise of the show astounds me in it's stupidity, but I guess it's part of the dumbing down and acceptance of reality shows being real, says a person who watches a popularity contest disguised as a dance competition.

• Love 11

Yeah, I've never had any interest in the "Bachelor/Bachelorette" franchise, either. But I think for a lot of the people who watch it, it can be a fun thing to snark on, and the drama both on and off the show no doubt interests people as well :p. I doubt the majority of people watching actually treat it as though it's something real and genuine. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

Okay, but I don't understand something. Joe is not the first Bachelor to compete on DWTS, but other contestants have been better and did not overstay their welcome to the extent that I felt Bristol Palin or Bonner Bolton did in their respective seasons. Why is Bachelor Nation stronger with Joe than it has been with previous Bachelor/Bachelorette contestants? 

• Love 1
On 9/12/2018 at 10:57 AM, doLLish said:

The only saving grace this season is Tinashe, who will give us spectacular performances, until she’s inevitably eliminated after being dressed down by the judges every week for being too this or not enough that and by the audience for being too much of a ringer.

Lmao. Imagine being this predictable.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Why is Bachelor Nation stronger with Joe than it has been with previous Bachelor/Bachelorette contestants? 

I can only speculate, but Joe was very popular on Paradise...and as it sometimes happens, many fans wanted him to become the next bachelor. Instead, the show went with a 20-something year old virgin. Not because the virgin was popular or had a much better personality. It was simply because the guy was a virgin and show thought it would make an interesting story. Ugh! Anyway, it could be that Joe's fans want him to "win" by keeping him on the show longer than his sell-by date.

• Love 2

Well, its a reason the ratings are tanking and the people are just about over dwts. I think Bottom two need to be the lowest point scorers and then have America duke it out on who should go home based on votes, that way America voting still has some power while not risking a really good dancer going home before their time. I just think some changes need to be made and need to be made asap. This elimination pissed off alot of people, Tinashe didnt deserve that, she was too good to be treated like this. She was very talented, sweet, humble and had a great partnership with her partner who she respected and appreciated greatly. She didnt give attitude or cockiness as some wanted to say, she was not done fairly at all.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

This elimination pissed off alot of people, Tinashe didnt deserve that, she was too good to be treated like this. She was very talented, sweet, humble and had a great partnership with her partner who she respected and appreciated greatly. She didnt give attitude or cockiness as some wanted to say, she was not done fairly at all.

Um.....every elimination pisses off a lot of people. Trust me, there's been a lot more outrage shown at many other eliminations. This one's not even a top ten.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Um.....every elimination pisses off a lot of people. Trust me, there's been a lot more outrage shown at many other eliminations. This one's not even a top ten.

well, its the top 10 for me and she didnt deserve to go home and I got right to complain because I voted, so im complaining.  Like I said even if u didnt like her or whatever, she didnt deserve this.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, vdw84 said:

Well, its a reason the ratings are tanking and the people are just about over dwts. I think Bottom two need to be the lowest point scorers and then have America duke it out on who should go home based on votes, that way America voting still has some power while not risking a really good dancer going home before their time. I just think some changes need to be made and need to be made asap. This elimination pissed off alot of people, Tinashe didnt deserve that, she was too good to be treated like this. She was very talented, sweet, humble and had a great partnership with her partner who she respected and appreciated greatly. She didnt give attitude or cockiness as some wanted to say, she was not done fairly at all.

That's not a bad idea. Those who are in the top half of the leaderboard based on judges' points are immune from elimination. America votes for who to save among the bottom half. The one who is at the very bottom in terms of votes gets eliminated.

Edited by madpsych78
Judges don't vote
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

That's not a bad idea. Those who are in the top half of the leaderboard based on judges' points are immune from elimination. America votes for who to save among the bottom half. The one who is at the very bottom in terms of votes gets eliminated.

I also like that idea at least for the first half of the season.  Bottom two is not enough choices but bottom half is good enough to save the better dancers.  The first season of SYTYCD was done that way.  Judges choose the bottom three couples and people chose who they wanted to save from them.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I like that idea!

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

I also like that idea at least for the first half of the season.  Bottom two is not enough choices but bottom half is good enough to save the better dancers.  The first season of SYTYCD was done that way.  Judges choose the bottom three couples and people chose who they wanted to save from them.

Yeah, I mean something needs to be done because this is getting ridiculous. As someone who has watched from the beginning and I have seen amazing dancers go home to early, its just not right at all. Dwts need to not give America too much power, give them enough feel like they are apart of some kinda of outcome but give really good dancers more a fighting chance without the bias of America ruining everything.

• Love 2
On 10/15/2018 at 1:38 PM, boyznkatz said:

Her legs are crazy! 

• Love 1

I liked Tinashe, but not surprised at all. It is what it is.

Damn I feel sorry for Jenna having to choreograph that shit fest. Those bozos weren’t even funny. 

Booby must be doing some manipulating behind the scenes to get himself in the finals. He is pretty good at that.

• Love 2

I'm not surprised on Tinashe because I've certainly watched this show long enough, but I am surprised she went this week after they had her in the B2 last week.  Just because I thought that would scare enough people to rally to save her for this week at least.  Also I thought Alexis might go first, but Alexis was helped by having one of the more emotional stories last week.

It's hard for me to get worked up too much over Bobby right now when Joe is still there, but the further we go the more I am expecting to see Bobby in the finals.  The only part that really annoys me about Bobby is his chip on the shoulder complex.  Everything is a conspiracy theory with him.  Like he posted something about how his dance is the only one that wasn't posted on the DWTS page last night.  I haven't looked to see if that has been rectified, but in everything that happened last night, that is your focus?

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3

One thing I’d change right now is the voting rules. Instead of a 50-50 split I’d change it to 75-25 in favour of the judges until the semi finals when I’d revert it back to 50-50. I think that would make a positive impact.

In terms of ratings it really doesn’t look good. The show has lost up to 3 million viewers from last season and has plummeted in its key demographic. It’s very worrying for the shows long term future and I suspect a direct result of that absolute garbage that was the four week spring season and the huge cuts made financially to the show by ABC in order to fund American Idol. It’s out of its depth compared to NBC who are chucking big money at the likes of John Legend to do the Voice on the same night. No wonder the cast isn’t recognisable as they are probably being paid chump change to do the show. Once you lose your viewers it’s very hard to get them back. 

The show is renewed for one more season right? I think one of two things will happen, either it will move days away from the Voice, maybe to Friday or Sunday night where the sort of ratings DWTS are currently getting would be considered acceptable. Or ABC will move it to the summer and have only one cycle a year. Either way I’d say there is a massive chance that the show will not see the next decade at present. I can see ABC ending it on a milestone like season 30.

If it does get cancelled by ABC, I do think at some point we’ll see it again. The show is cheap to produce, is owned by BBC so won’t need to be completely revamped plus it’s absolutely killing the ratings around the world in places like the UK which gives executives the belief that they can revive it with a good budget to throw at attracting star power celebs. Give it a year or two and I reckon another network will pick it up. Maybe even a cable network.

• Love 4

I think they should keep the voting the way it is. Although good dancers get voted off, the voting is what makes the show the success that it is. It would be unfair to put ringers against amateurs if the judges got to choose, and we would know the winner every time.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

One thing I’d change right now is the voting rules. Instead of a 50-50 split I’d change it to 75-25 in favour of the judges until the semi finals when I’d revert it back to 50-50. I think that would make a positive impact.

In terms of ratings it really doesn’t look good. The show has lost up to 3 million viewers from last season and has plummeted in its key demographic. It’s very worrying for the shows long term future and I suspect a direct result of that absolute garbage that was the four week spring season and the huge cuts made financially to the show by ABC in order to fund American Idol. It’s out of its depth compared to NBC who are chucking big money at the likes of John Legend to do the Voice on the same night. No wonder the cast isn’t recognisable as they are probably being paid chump change to do the show. Once you lose your viewers it’s very hard to get them back. 

The show is renewed for one more season right? I think one of two things will happen, either it will move days away from the Voice, maybe to Friday or Sunday night where the sort of ratings DWTS are currently getting would be considered acceptable. Or ABC will move it to the summer and have only one cycle a year. Either way I’d say there is a massive chance that the show will not see the next decade at present. I can see ABC ending it on a milestone like season 30.

If it does get cancelled by ABC, I do think at some point we’ll see it again. The show is cheap to produce, is owned by BBC so won’t need to be completely revamped plus it’s absolutely killing the ratings around the world in places like the UK which gives executives the belief that they can revive it with a good budget to throw at attracting star power celebs. Give it a year or two and I reckon another network will pick it up. Maybe even a cable network.

I think this is a good compromise. That way the TV viewers are still involved in the voting on who wins the whole shebang in a sense. As far as ratings, the show is old. It is on it's 14th year per Tom Bergeron. Nothing lasts forever.  I don't think ABC is gonna cancel DWTS after this season, although they may try to move it to Sundays. But I am really 50/50 on DWTS moving, because at the current time, ABC has nothing decent to replace it with. Once that happens, I think you can kiss DWTS goodbye.

I think every season there is a shocking female elimination. Whether it be Sabrina Bryan from many moons ago, women who've competed and could've won but didn't (regardless of reason) can include (but is not limited to):

• Sabrina Bryan
  • Tinashe
  • Zendaya
  • Normani
  • Mel B
  • Heather Morris
  • Mya
  • Paige Van Zant
  • Laila Ali

I can also put it this way. The only female contestants to win who A: Are NOT a partner of Derek and B: NOT an Olympian are: Kelly Monaco (S1), Melissa Rycroft (S15) Rumer Willis (S20). The show has been on for 27 seasons with, 13 male winners, 6 Derek Hough-Female Celeb wins. Therefore, 19 seasons are accounter for. With the 8 seasons left, 4 of those female winners are Olympians (Kristi Yamaguchi, Shawn Johnson, Meryl Davis, Laurie Hernandez). The Non-Olympians include: 

I this this show needs a STRONG switch up. I propose either an All Star Season. If they could get one of the big fish who have actually gotten more famous since they've been on the show (Zendaya), that could be huge for the show. I highly doubt she'd do it as she seems to be BOOKED with Spiderman, that new show on HBO, designing for Tommy Hilfiger, about to start filming a movie with Jake Gyllenhaal according to IMDB. Highly doubt she'd ever do the show again, especially from what I've been told Val wrote about her in his book. However, there are some people who I'd really like to see on the show again. 

If not an All Star season, than an All Female Celeb season. I think it could be an interesting female empowerment type of season. Female Pros could serve as coaches for the female celeb and it can be a girl power season. It could also be a way to introduce some new male pros to the show which I think the show DESPERATELY needs. 

Edited by PTVjones
include Tinashe to the list
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, PTVjones said:

I think every season there is a shocking female elimination. Whether it be Sabrina Bryan from many moons ago, women who've competed and could've won but didn't (regardless of reason) can include (but is not limited to):

• Sabrina Bryan
  • Tinashe
  • Zendaya
  • Normani
  • Mel B
  • Heather Morris
  • Mya
  • Paige Van Zant
  • Laila Ali

I can also put it this way. The only female contestants to win who A: Are NOT a partner of Derek and B: NOT an Olympian are: Kelly Monaco (S1), Melissa Rycroft (S15) Rumer Willis (S20). The show has been on for 27 seasons with, 13 male winners, 6 Derek Hough-Female Celeb wins. Therefore, 19 seasons are accounter for. With the 8 seasons left, 4 of those female winners are Olympians (Kristi Yamaguchi, Shawn Johnson, Meryl Davis, Laurie Hernandez). The Non-Olympians include: 

I this this show needs a STRONG switch up. I propose either an All Star Season. If they could get one of the big fish who have actually gotten more famous since they've been on the show (Zendaya), that could be huge for the show. I highly doubt she'd do it as she seems to be BOOKED with Spiderman, that new show on HBO, designing for Tommy Hilfiger, about to start filming a movie with Jake Gyllenhaal according to IMDB. Highly doubt she'd ever do the show again, especially from what I've been told Val wrote about her in his book. However, there are some people who I'd really like to see on the show again. 

If not an All Star season, than an All Female Celeb season. I think it could be an interesting female empowerment type of season. Female Pros could serve as coaches for the female celeb and it can be a girl power season. It could also be a way to introduce some new male pros to the show which I think the show DESPERATELY needs. 

An allstar season of all women would be great but I want women who were known to be great dancers, no trainwrecks (Bristal Palin).

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, PTVjones said:

Honestly, I think that would be the end of the show forever, even faster than all athletes. I certainly wouldn't tune in to a bunch of female D listers dancing with this lame bunch of male pros or, even worse, a bunch of unknown pros.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Honestly, I think that would be the end of the show forever, even faster than all athletes. I certainly wouldn't tune in to a bunch of female D listers dancing with this lame bunch of male pros or, even worse, a bunch of unknown pros.

What makes a male D lister better than a female D lister I wonder? No different than who's casted every season if you ask me. if that's how you feel about the celebs, or the pros for that matter, I wonder why even watch the show at all lol... 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PTVjones said:

What makes a male D lister better than a female D lister I wonder? No different than who's casted every season if you ask me. if that's how you feel about the celebs, or the pros for that matter, I wonder why even watch the show at all lol... 

I wouldn't tune in for a show full of only D list males either, but at least that would be a bit more entertaining with the level of female pros the show has right now.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, fpbl83 said:

By now I think ABC has come to terms with the declining ratings. The show's heyday is long over, and they know it. It'll limp along to season 30 and they'll call it a day. 

ABC are obviously doing something wrong. It’s a soft excuse saying it’s heyday is over, the show has been on just as long in the UK and incredibly is getting bigger by the year. They treat it properly though, it gets a two and half hour slot on Saturday night with no adverts and is a long season with 16 celebs so they can get a range of different celebs, something for everyone so to speak. They also have a results show the next day with a dance off which ensures a sense of fairness when it comes to eliminations. ABC let pros like Derek leave for a rival network and have made awful decisions over the last 18 months which has absolutely killed the show. It was pulling high 1s in the demographic and at least 10 million viewers 18 months ago which is a staggering drop and ABC have to take responsibility for that. I think if ABC moved the show to summer and had an extended season rather than the 9 weeks it gets now then it could work out. Try and copy the formula which has worked in the UK.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Emily-D said:

ABC are obviously doing something wrong. It’s a soft excuse saying it’s heyday is over, the show has been on just as long in the UK and incredibly is getting bigger by the year. They treat it properly though, it gets a two and half hour slot on Saturday night with no adverts and is a long season with 16 celebs so they can get a range of different celebs, something for everyone so to speak. They also have a results show the next day with a dance off which ensures a sense of fairness when it comes to eliminations. ABC let pros like Derek leave for a rival network and have made awful decisions over the last 18 months which has absolutely killed the show. It was pulling high 1s in the demographic and at least 10 million viewers 18 months ago which is a staggering drop and ABC have to take responsibility for that. I think if ABC moved the show to summer and had an extended season rather than the 9 weeks it gets now then it could work out. Try and copy the formula which has worked in the UK.

Overall, TV viewership is currently at much higher levels in the UK, relative to population, than in the US. Specifically with SCD vs. DWTS, despite the US having a population five times as big as the UK, the Sunday SCD results show averaged 9.2 million viewers (peaking with 9.9 million) while the most recent DWTS averaged 7.12 million. Granted, Strictly had one of its celeb/pro pairs in the midst of a cheating scandal that got front-page headlines (as there was video evidence), but even last week, before the scandal, SCD had more viewers than DWTS, despite drawing from a fifth of the population. The viewing patterns of the two countries are so different, it's different audiences, and what works in one country might not in another. DWTS could be doing everything right, and the ratings would still be well off their peak because primetime network viewership has just dropped precipitously in the US in the last half of the decade.

UK ratings: https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/strictly-come-dancing-ratings-99-million-tune-into-to-watch-seann-walsh-survive-on-results-show-a3962146.html 

US ratings: https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-monday-oct-15-2018/

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Overall, TV viewership is currently at much higher levels in the UK, relative to population, than in the US. Specifically with SCD vs. DWTS, despite the US having a population five times as big as the UK, the Sunday SCD results show averaged 9.2 million viewers (peaking with 9.9 million) while the most recent DWTS averaged 7.12 million. Granted, Strictly had one of its celeb/pro pairs in the midst of a cheating scandal that got front-page headlines (as there was video evidence), but even last week, before the scandal, SCD had more viewers than DWTS, despite drawing from a fifth of the population. The viewing patterns of the two countries are so different, it's different audiences, and what works in one country might not in another. DWTS could be doing everything right, and the ratings would still be well off their peak because primetime network viewership has just dropped precipitously in the US in the last half of the decade.

UK ratings: https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/strictly-come-dancing-ratings-99-million-tune-into-to-watch-seann-walsh-survive-on-results-show-a3962146.html 

US ratings: https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-monday-oct-15-2018/

You have to take competition into account as well. DWTS has to go up against The Voice (which ironically is a hundred times bigger here than it is in the UK), The Big Bang Theory and Monday Night Football. I don’t think there viewership would increase from a day change but they may not continue to drop at the rate they are now which is pushing the show dangerously towards cancellation levels. Really though I think it does come down to the cast. It’s a really poor list this season and that is the responsibility who ABC who have slashed the budget of the show. It’s no coincidence that the show has fallen off a cliff since ABC revived American Idol.

I’d like to see the show leave ABC and move to a new network with more money to throw at it and see how it does.

Also recent breaking news is that the DWTS studio is being sold by CBS to a group who will more than likely demolish it for houses/retail. Another nail in the coffin I suspect.

• Love 1