Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

Wow - guess I was being generous when I thought it was Taran's decision to leave. I'm legitimately gobsmacked that he was fired, but he does acknowledge in that article that he was planning on doing two separate projects that would interfere with the SNL production schedule - maybe he didn't clear it with producers as well as he thought. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Wow - guess I was being generous when I thought it was Taran's decision to leave. I'm legitimately gobsmacked that he was fired, but he does acknowledge in that article that he was planning on doing two separate projects that would interfere with the SNL production schedule - maybe he didn't clear it with producers as well as he thought. 

I remember Bill Hader saying that during his final season he filmed this Larry David HBO movie in Maine or New Hampshire for half the week, and did SNL from Wednesday evening to Saturday, and his bosses had no problem with it.

Maybe SNL needed to clear up space for more people. Or perhaps they got to expensive? (But they did sign a 7-year contract.)

It's odd that they would go, but not Kenan, who's been around since 2003, and Bobby, who joined the show while Obama was running for president the first time.

• Love 2

I don't mind Jay leaving -- I was never that impressed with him -- but Taran is fantastic in every thing he does. He really could shine with great characters, but he was also a utility player who could fill in anywhere. What a loss.

• Love 4

I'm shocked they dropped Taran. I thought he was terrific, and unless there's something weird going on that we don't know about, it just seems like an inexplicable and uncharacteristic move.

I liked Jay, too, and the only reason I find it slightly less shocking is that he didn't consistently get airtime. But when he did, I thought he was always great. I guess I also think maybe Lorne and Co did not appreciate his point of view -- that Kat Williams impression is terrific, for example, but Lorne probably doesn't even know or care who Kat WIlliams is. SNL management has always been transparently racist, with no desire whatsoever to expand its audience or material-- so I disagree with the lack of appreciation, but it doesn't surprise me as much as the ditching of Taran, unfortunately.

• Love 4

So, I guess that really is the last we ever see of "President Obama" on SNL? We already haven't seen him for a year, and now he's just gone, even before the next election?

I was hoping we'd get some skits of Hillary moving into the White House and him trying to give her advice or something while she keeps trying to push him out the door. Seems like a waste.

• Love 9

Jay never quite seemed like the best fit for SNL. It'd gotten better in the last season or two with him getting more to do but he was severely underused his first few seasons. And with Obama leaving office soon I can see them being ok with him leaving. His Obama was good but they never really knew how to make it "comedic". But that might just be an Obama thing in general.

Taran actually started out pretty strong but seemed to be put on the back burner more the last couple seasons. He never quite broke out in the way they expected him to I think. With Darrell taking the Trump impression, Taran probably seemed less necessary. And I think this might open up some roles / space for Jon.

But really, SNL the last few years has belonged to the women.

Edited by burner
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

SNL management has always been transparently racist, with no desire whatsoever to expand its audience or material-- so I disagree with the lack of appreciation, but it doesn't surprise me as much as the ditching of Taran, unfortunately.

On the one hand, SNL did have a whopping 5 black cast members the past few years.

On the other hand, the main reason they had 5 black cast members was because of the brouhaha over the lack of a black female characters, which led to Sasheer joining and, thanks to Chris Rock, Leslie Jones.

But it's really odd that in 41 seasons, SNL has only had 2 part-Asian cast members (Rob Schneider and Fred Armisen) and 1 full Latino (Horatio Sanz) and one part-Latino (again, Fred Armisen).

You think at this point, diversity would be more than black and white. But I bet when the new cast members are announced, they'll all be white.

SNL is like the Republican party. It stays primarily white with a few sprinklings of black people.

As for Pharoah leaving, I just can't imagine them not having an Obama sketch in the 10-11 episodes that will occur during his presidency. It reminds me of the beginning of the Obama phenomenon. It took a really long time to get somebody (Fred) to play Obama. It was like they were out of step with the news. Now they are giving Obama short shrift at the end.

Edited to add: What kind of post-SNL career do you see Killam and Pharoah having? I just saw the cast list for the Schwarzeneggar film that Killam is directing and it includes such stunning gets as Cobie Smulders and Bobby Moynihan and Paul Brittain. (You all remember Paul Brittain, right?)

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 4

Wow, I'm just stunned.  Taran was fired?!?! Seriously?  And I can only assume Jay was too because he's in the same year of his contract.  WTF Lorne?  It's really bizarre.

I don't think it's a money issue, especially if Kenan is staying because he probably gets paid more than those two guys combined because Taran and Jay were still on their initial contracts.

I don't know.  Losing Taran especially going into an election where he obviously was going to play Tim Kaine or at least Mike Pence is very strange. It sounds like maybe some friction behind the scenes with his schedule. And yeah, I wonder how much losing the Trump impression has to do with it.  And with Jay gone, I'm guessing they feel like they are done with Obama (unless Fred comes back to do it, and please no. Just no.)   

Sigh.  This makes makes me sad.  I feel like both of them are gone too early.  And losing two seasoned vets.  There's obviously going to be a lot of pressure to get another guy who can do similar impressions to Taran for the political sketches, and that's hard for a newbie right out of the gate.  And while I assume he's more likely to stay now, I still think last year's new guy Jon R is still a dud.

So many questions.

ETA: Uproxx's interview with Taran.   He's obviously still processing.  He sounds shell shocked to me.  He's trying to put on a positive face, but it's very raw.  From everything I've heard, SNL was his dream job. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6

I'm pretty shocked about Taran.  And Jay too, to a certain extent.  I think Jay's issue is that his strongest and most consistent stuff were impressions but that can be kind of limiting since they don't do that many impressions per episode.  However, I do imagine Obama will have to show up for some election skits.  You would want that, wouldn't you?  Unless they're going to bring in The Rock when they do that.  But again, we don't know if it was his choice or not.  He's hasn't said as far as I know.

But Taran?  He's one of those performers who can easily fit into either kind of sketch.  In fact, I felt he developed into their strongest male players.  I am legitimately surprised at that one.  And yet, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back on stage in a recurring fashion. 

• Love 2

Wow, I'm ridiculously pissed off about both of these firings. It wasn't as if Taran was the best male cast member or anything and it certainly wasn't as if Jay Pharaoh was their best impressionist. Did they do something to piss Lorne off? That always seems to be a one-way ticket to Pink Slipsville. 

I think I'm more annoyed about Taran though because he's a great utility guy and he was supremely talented. I feel like nobody is safe if Taran got canned. 

• Love 7

I just found out am shocked. I liked both of them and really going to miss them. Jay I think never found a character that was popular but I loved his impressions. Taran I don't understand the reason unless because it's his scheduling. My favorite Taran thing is in the sketch where Bobby and Cecily are two employees who think they are being fired and tell off all their co-workers and Taran is the one with the creepy stare like a psycho killer!

• Love 2

‘Saturday Night Live’ Featured Player Jon Rudnitsky To Depart

Another departure.

Jon Rudnitsky joins Saturday Night Live veterans Taran Killam & Jay Pharoah on the list of cast members who won’t be returning next season, the venerable NBC late-night sketch comedy’s 42nd. Rudnitsky joined SNL as a featured player at the beginning of last season, the only new cast addition for Season 41 when there were no departures.

27 minutes ago, saoirse said:

That was expected. Rudnitsky was kind of a baffling choice for SNL.

I kept seeing Taran in an L.A. Rams cap on his Instagram page, and I felt sorry for him that he'd be in New York during their season back in Los Angeles.

SXSG57r.png

9du8GTG.png

So long, Taran. One of his best bits didn't even make it to air.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, vb68 said:

Wow, I'm just stunned.  Taran was fired?!?! Seriously?  And I can only assume Jay was too because he's in the same year of his contract.  WTF Lorne?  It's really bizarre.

I don't think it's a money issue, especially if Kenan is staying because he probably gets paid more than those two guys combined because Taran and Jay were still on their initial contracts.

I don't know.  Losing Taran especially going into an election where he obviously was going to play Tim Kaine or at least Mike Pence is very strange. It sounds like maybe some friction behind the scenes with his schedule. And yeah, I wonder how much losing the Trump impression has to do with it.  And with Jay gone, I'm guessing they feel like they are done with Obama (unless Fred comes back to do it, and please no. Just no.)   

Sigh.  This makes makes me sad.  I feel like both of them are gone too early.  And losing two seasoned vets.  There's obviously going to be a lot of pressure to get another guy who can do similar impressions to Taran for the political sketches, and that's hard for a newbie right out of the gate.  And while I assume he's more likely to stay now, I still think last year's new guy Jon R is still a dud.

So many questions.

ETA: Uproxx's interview with Taran.   He's obviously still processing.  He sounds shell shocked to me.  He's trying to put on a positive face, but it's very raw.  From everything I've heard, SNL was his dream job. 

In rereading the interview again this morning, I feel like maybe the schedule had a lot to do with the decision, and maybe even more so than Taran thinks (or is willing to admit).  Because while some people might be let out to film a movie, directing it is a whole other ballgame, especially with post-production, and even by Taran's own admission it would be at least two months.  Taran's acknowledgements in that article of "...we kind of communicated that" and "I honestly don’t know what happened on the other side, but I do know we had expressed I have work on this film and in bonding this picture, that has to get cleared with SNL. And then [another offer] came up. I wasn’t going to have to take any time off to do it, but it was a thing that they would have had to okay." that both read to me as "I had other commitments, I thought I cleared it, but apparently they weren't ok'd."  I'm guessing maybe he thought that because of his tenure, his outside ventures would get schedule approval, but apparently producers thought otherwise.  I wonder if because they were planning on using him for election season that they didn't want him going back and forth on projects when they'd need him most.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

That news doesn't surprise me at all, and honestly - good riddance.  

For anyone who watched Arrested Development, he was the Ann Veal of the show. Every time his name was mentioned, I'd ask "Who"?.

• Love 5
On 8/9/2016 at 0:27 AM, nowandlater said:

But it's really odd that in 41 seasons, SNL has only had 2 part-Asian cast members (Rob Schneider and Fred Armisen) and 1 full Latino (Horatio Sanz) and one part-Latino (again, Fred Armisen).

You think at this point, diversity would be more than black and white. But I bet when the new cast members are announced, they'll all be white.

Not to be pedantic, but when discussing the fact that SNL has never had an Asian cast member, people always seem to leave out Nasim. Iran is in Asia, last I checked. Or does she really only count as "Middle Eastern" and "Asian" refers to southern and eastern Asians (Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc.)?

Either way, I still agree that this show has a major diversity problem and that Taran, Jay, and Jon's replacements will likely all be as white as newly fallen snow.

I don't know if the "Jay joined the same year as Taran so that might be why he was let go" suspicion holds any water, since Vanessa started at the same time they did and she's still there. I assume. Idk, the fact that we lost these two so suddenly makes me feel like no one is all that safe right now. I'm kind of bracing myself for more bad news before the season starts.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Not to be pedantic, but when discussing the fact that SNL has never had an Asian cast member, people always seem to leave out Nasim. Iran is in Asia, last I checked. Or does she really only count as "Middle Eastern" and "Asian" refers to southern and eastern Asians (Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc.)?

Oooh - I so rarely insert myself in discussing race, but since my background is almost identical to Nasim's, I'll give my two cents.  So, in the technical sense yes you are right, Iran is in Asia and therefore technically Nasim is an Asian castmember.  But for what it's worth - I'm half Iraqi and even though Iraq is technically in Asia, I would never identify myself as Asian, only as Middle Eastern and my Middle Eastern friends are the same way.  I (obviously) can't speak for her, but I bet if you asked her, Nasim would probably identify closer with "first (and only, I believe) Middle Eastern SNL Cast Member"  vs the "Only female Asian SNL Cast Member".  

8 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I don't know if the "Jay joined the same year as Taran so that might be why he was let go" suspicion holds any water, since Vanessa started at the same time they did and she's still there. I assume. Idk, the fact that we lost these two so suddenly makes me feel like no one is all that safe right now. I'm kind of bracing myself for more bad news before the season starts.

Yeah, I agree; I don't think it's just "they started at the same time, so they must be fired at the same time."  Something else must be going on behind the scenes, but I'm not sure what - even though I speculated about Taran's schedule, I don't think that alone would've gotten him the boot, and obviously that's not why Jay was let go.  

What I do sincerely hope is a result of some of this is that the women of the cast have their time to shine.  The female cast members right now - Cecily, Kate, Leslie, Vanessa, Aidy, and Sasheer - might be my favorite all time collection of women in the cast at the same time.  They're as good and as versatile as two of my other favorite female casts -  season 31 (Dratch/Poehler/Fey/Rudolph/Wiig) or season 25 (Gasteyer/Oteri/Dratch/Rudolph/Shannon).  And with Kate and Leslie having a blockbuster summer, this could finally be a well-deserved time to shift a lot of the heavy lifting of sketches over to the women.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, helenamonster said:

The U.S. Census counts Iranians as white, to the annoyance of some. (See here and here.)

(We just had a half-Persian Bachelorette, JoJo Fletcher, and nobody considered her a minority -- not ABC, not the media. Which means they didn't consider her Asian. In January, ABC's president and The Bachelorette creator hinted that there would, for the first time, be a minority Bachelorette this season. And as a result, one Bachelor contestant, Caila Quinn, who is half-Filipino and half-white, was widely expected to be that first minority Bachelorette. So when half-Persian Jojo won the job, some pointed out her diversity and her Iranian heritage, but -- perhaps because she looked like yet another white Bachelorette -- nobody went as far as saying that she was the first minority bachelorette.)

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

Wow, that is late.  I was about to blame it on the Olympics, but when I looked up the season premiere date for 2012, it was Sept 15.  I guess they're trying to time it with the first presidential debate (Sept 26 if I remember correctly), but there's still so much more to be mined politically before then.

• Love 1

I wonder if they will do 4 episodes in October, take a week off, and then be on for the weekend before and after the Election.  If you time it that way, they would do 3 in November, being off for Thanksgiving.  Or they can do 3 and 3, and have 2 weeks off at Thanksgiving.  I know they don't like doing 4 eps in a row, but there is some precedence in elections years.  I seem to remember them doing it in 2008.  Of course they also started on Sept. 13th.  Maybe they need time to get the white guy clones just right.

• Love 4
On 8/10/2016 at 0:08 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

Oooh - I so rarely insert myself in discussing race, but since my background is almost identical to Nasim's, I'll give my two cents.  So, in the technical sense yes you are right, Iran is in Asia and therefore technically Nasim is an Asian castmember.  But for what it's worth - I'm half Iraqi and even though Iraq is technically in Asia, I would never identify myself as Asian, only as Middle Eastern and my Middle Eastern friends are the same way.  I (obviously) can't speak for her, but I bet if you asked her, Nasim would probably identify closer with "first (and only, I believe) Middle Eastern SNL Cast Member"  vs the "Only female Asian SNL Cast Member".  

What I do sincerely hope is a result of some of this is that the women of the cast have their time to shine.  The female cast members right now - Cecily, Kate, Leslie, Vanessa, Aidy, and Sasheer - might be my favorite all time collection of women in the cast at the same time.  They're as good and as versatile as two of my other favorite female casts -  season 31 (Dratch/Poehler/Fey/Rudolph/Wiig) or season 25 (Gasteyer/Oteri/Dratch/Rudolph/Shannon).  And with Kate and Leslie having a blockbuster summer, this could finally be a well-deserved time to shift a lot of the heavy lifting of sketches over to the women.  

First point: ok, yeah, that makes sense. I think in general when referring to the Middle East, it might as well be its own continent, as it's very rarely ever tied to larger parts of Asia. I mean, a huge chunk of Russia is in Asia too and I don't think many Russians who live in that part of the country would think of themselves as Asian. In general, I suppose Asia is just such a vast continent that referring to anyone as simply "Asian" seems too vague. One of my close friends from high school was born in the US but her parents are from Bangladesh, and she would refer to herself as either Bengali or Muslim, but never Asian. And my cousins who are half-Taiwanese refer to themselves as Chinese, never Asian...it's an interesting discussion to have, I think, especially in regards to this show, where most of the race discussions are quite literally black and white.

And I agree that it wouldn't be such a bad thing if the women had a chance to truly shine on this show for a bit. They are definitely the strongest collective of women we've had since Dratch/Fey/Poehler/Rudolph, imo, and it would be rather appropriate, given we're on the verge of having our first woman president (shh, shh, it's gonna happen guys, I have faith). But I don't even think this show has ever had an equal number of men and women, much less more women than men. I remember a couple years ago, I think after Cecily was bumped up to main player status, she tweeted something about it being the first time in SNL history that there were just as many main female cast members as main male cast members, and it's kind of sad it took us almost 40 years just to get to that point. But I don't see the women tipping the scales while Lorne is still in charge. He's made enough tone-deaf comments about women for me to know that's not happening.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

More changes, although these are behind the scenes: Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider have been promoted to co-head writers.  That's a good move, they've written a lot of great sketches - The Beygency, Twin Bed, Bern Your Enthusiasm, and my personal favorite Wishing Boot.  I'm assuming this means Rob Klein and Bryan Tucker were demoted or fired, though the article doesn't say either way.  

I was wondering about Rob Klein and Bryan Tucker as well! (I read that same article earlier today.) Is there a chance that maybe they are staying co-head writers as well? I know four seems like a lot, but there have been times when they've had three. What's one more? Especially in an election season. From what I've heard, head writer is a very stressful and time consuming job (though that can probably be said for every job on SNL). Maybe they're spreading it out, so it will be easier for everyone? (I realize this is unlikely, but maybe a possibility?)

Edited by AdorkableSars

Is it mean to hope that Klein and Tucker were fired/demoted? I really think the writing suffered last season, and I do hope the new head writers will be an improvement, since all of those sketches mentioned as theirs were really strong. Something was just "off" last season, writing, acting, I think none of it was going well.

• Love 2

I'm thrilled about Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider being bumped up to head writers. It feels like anytime I think a sketch is great, it turns out that the two of them wrote it. Despite the loss of Taran and Jay, I'm hopeful to what they can bring to the show in their new roles.

Don’t Think Twice Is Mike Birbiglia‘s Bittersweet Love Letter to S.N.L.

The movie is split between showing the scrappy hard-knock life of struggling comedians, and the high-pressure success of a fictional Saturday Night Live counterpart called Weekend Live!. Though Birbiglia claims he has no personal resentment towards that NBC sketch-comedy institution, Don’t Think Twice masterfully undercuts S.N.L.’s reputation as the one and only brass ring of the comedy world. Before one of their members leaves to join the cast, the Commune comedians around their TV to watch the show and debate whether or not the comedy seen there is actually good. Birbiglia’s character repeats the oft-heard theory that Saturday Night Live is only good when you’re growing up and each new generation of viewers latches to the cast of their youth.

Trailer:

These are supposedly the dates for the show's Fall schedule.

October 1
October 8
October 15
October 22 

November 5
November 12
November 19

December 3
December 10
December 17

Doing four shows in a row is very hard on the cast and crew, but that's probably the best way to work it since they are not starting until October.  Again I would had started the season earlier.  They are already going to be exhausted by November.

Also : From Vulture- Taran's best 11 Moments.  And Jay's best as well.  I love that they included "Call Your Girlfriend" for Taran.

Edited by vb68
I had more articles to post.

I guess they're doing four in October so they can cover all the debates. Again, assuming they actually happen. I bet if they force Trump into doing the first debate and he gets pulverized, he goes into full blown meltdown mode and refuses to show up for the rest of them, claiming unfair treatment or something. Which would be good for the show too, I guess.

Poor Leslie Jones - her personal website and iCloud information was hacked, resulting in her website displaying nude photos of herself, a scan of her drivers license, and racist memes of Hamarbe (the gorilla that was killed at the Cincinatti Zoo).  Her website was taken down a few hours later, but JFC, the hatred some people hold towards her is disgusting. She seems to be such a wonderful, lovely, and joyful person who doesn't deserve any of this. While these assholes don't deserve any attention, I hope she does a desk piece on WU in the first episode of the season and evicerates them. 

Article link to a write up of what happened: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/twitter-reacts-horror-alleged-leslie-jones-hacking/story?id=41627046

• Love 5
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

The people on Twitter saying she got her "comeuppance" and justifying what was done because of "reverse racism" are truly the scum of the Earth. 

Man, I hadn't heard that. I felt horrible for her. I'm sure she has lots of support from fans, coworkers, friends, and family, but I just want to give her a huge hug anyway. Sometimes the internet sucks.

• Love 4

People actually said that? I just don't get it and it makes me sad, mad and disgusted.

She isn't always my cup of tea, but the level of energy her detractors and trolls seem to exert against her is just confounding and disturbing. 

• Love 1

Looking at their Twitter profiles and timelines, the same people saying she's a racist because of alleged tweets she made(which I believe were mostly photoshopped), also want to put an obnoxious racist in the White House.

15 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

The people on Twitter saying she got her "comeuppance" and justifying what was done because of "reverse racism" are truly the scum of the Earth. Truly garbage human beings.

That doesn't make any sense!  Not that those people are making ANY sense at all, but I don't get it.  I don't like her sense of humor, it is just not my cup of tea, but as a person, she seems really great and I just do not understand all the hate and evil people are throwing at her.  What did she do to deserve all of this?  Not that anyone deserves this... but I just don't see how she has become this target.  

• Love 3

I feel so awful for Leslie. She should be having the time of her life right now: starring in a big summer movie, getting invited to the Olympics...and people have to go and shit all over it for literally no reason. She doesn't deserve this bullshit.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Janimo said:

I always have mixed feelings when a celeb gets special treatment (it's not like Homeland would bother for most people). That said, due to the nature of being a celeb, and her specific image, it's been so public that I guess a very public response is necessary.  Plus, really, those evil fucks doing this to her deserve to rot in prison, so sure. By all means, special treatment is okay this time!

• Love 1