Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E27: Top 8 Results

• Start Topic

Awww...I was so glad that Sam got saved.  I think he's the best pure singer in the bunch.  He just really needs to work on his stage performance.  He's young though, so he can work on that. 

• Love 4

I live in an area where tornados were going through and the whole show was preempted.  Glad to hear Sam got the save.  I like him, and as Keith says, his voice is like buttah.

Who were the bottom three?

• Love 1
(edited)

The B3 was Malaya, CJ, and Sam.

The whole episode seemed orchestrated around using the Save, with Daughtry there and all. I knew that Sam was probably going to be eliminated, since I think the only other person they'd use the Save for is Alex.

I'm guessing Sam will be safe next week, but be eliminated the week after. I like Sam though, so I'm not disappointed regardless. Do two people have to be eliminated next week?

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

I live in an area that was also preempted by tornado/thunderstorm watches. My Fox affiliate had a split screen but with no sound until the final ten minutes. 

I'm glad the judges went ahead and used the save just to get it out of the way. If my favorite(s) goes home in the coming weeks, then my Idol experience will just be shortened. I haven't had a favorite win since season 7. I will probably jinx my faves by wishing that Jena could be Pia'd now that the save is off the table. I'm just never going to come around on her or Malaya (queen of the squats and angsty face). TPTB know what they're doing, thus the save being used for Sam. Producers keep track of voting trends. Two(?) most likely going home next week almost guarantees someone that has been hanging on by a thread will be out. ymmv

• Love 1

I live in an area that was also preempted by tornado/thunderstorm watches. My Fox affiliate had a split screen but with no sound until the final ten minutes. 

I will go back and check the last ten minutes of the recording.  The split screen was kind of funny, it looked like Ryan Seacrest and Randy Jackson were giving the weather.  Then my satellite went out, and I went in the basement!  Hope you're okay.  Everything okay in my neighborhood.

Yes and thank you peach. Glad all is well in your area. Its frustrating trying to watch a program and not being able to hear but being concerned about our safety as well. Our satellite kept going in and out. I heard a few beats of Sam's performance and saw the confetti shower but heard nothing after "We are unanimous". 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm glad the judges went ahead and used the save just to get it out of the way. If my favorite(s) goes home in the coming weeks, then my Idol experience will just be shortened. I haven't had a favorite win since season 7.

I've only had my favorite contestant win one time (Jordin, keeping in mind I never saw Kelly's season), although I liked most of the contestants who did win, too.

I'm wondering if somebody who was saved could ever actually win the show. They did get Jessica Sanchez to top 2, which I thought looked unlikely that year.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
(edited)

I've wondered the exact thing as well. I figured that the judges were holding out the save for Jena. I figure she's the chosen one this season. I don't think she'll grace the bottom three anymore this season. I think that save for Jessica may have left a sour taste in some viewers mouths, because people felt it wasn't a legit save. I was happy either way seeing as she was my fave that season. 

Edited by yourpointis

Glad to hear that all of you in the weather-related area(s) are safe. That must be scary stuff.

Sam was a favorite of mine since his audition, however I saw no progress in his performances over the weeks. Good looks, great voice ..... but zero stage presence. Hopefully tonight's elimination and subsequent save were the wake-up call he's needed to snap him out of his lethargy. If he could work the stage like Caleb, he'd have this thing in the bag.

JMO but Sam needs baby steps that a show like Idol will not/cannot provide. It would be the equivalent of someone having a fear of water being thrust into a pool. It doesn't help matters that he's always got a group of screaming teen girls shoved in his face each performance night. Something he's probably not used to after growing up in Del Boca Vista (Seinfeld reference). 

• Love 1

Honestly I don't actually believe that Sam even had the lowest votes tonight. He is not the most charismatic performer, but his vocals are always spot on. CJ is a nice guy but how in the world did he not get the lowest votes after last night? Dude cannot sing in key if his own damn life depended on it. If he were to sing for the save, the judges and producers would have looked like an absolute joke saving a guy they openly criticize for pitch issues. Using it on the cute boy all the girls love with the golden voice seems more reasonable. Sam's performance last night was not stellar but it wasn't the worst performance of the night (vocally speaking)

Just like how they wanted us to believe Jessica Sanchez aka Miss Beyonce/Whitney Jr. somehow received the lowest votes, it's all created for the sake of drama and to get people to talk about the show.

Clearly the save tonight was used for those reasons and to basically save face. There was no way it would have looked good to use it on CJ. No doubt Sam is not gonna win at this point and will be out by Top 5 or Top 6, if not before then. But as far as vocals go, he certainly deserves to stay over CJ, who should have gone home tonight.

As far as I've heard, since the show has to stay on schedule and they pre-factor the save in, only 1 contestant will go home next week.

Other thoughts about the show tonight:

I liked Daughtry's first 2 albums but hate that Superman song. His vocals tonight were off too. But it was still nice of them to bring him back.

What was up with the audience screaming for like 20 minutes at the start of the show? Oh if only Harry had told them to shut up again!

Glad to see JLo wearing pants tonight.

I do agree though that the confetti shower at the end was over the top. Sam was saved, he didn't win! Other tip offs to them using the save were that they had about 2 minutes left in the show to reach a decision and Jennifer was the one to deliver the news. She never delivers the news when they aren't using the save.

...and Jennifer was the one to deliver the news. She never delivers the news when they aren't using the save.

This is exactly what made me tell my husband they were going to use it. Jennifer wouldn't be the one giving the bad news.

I don't like Sam, but I did think he made some improvements tonight. He was actually looking at the audience, instead of scanning them from side to side as if looking through a crowd in the airport. He had no idea how to hold the mic or what to do with his free hand, but at least he worked on the eye contact.

(edited)

Posted Today, 01:28 AM

I am thrilled that they saved Sam. Not that I think he will win, but since it could only be used in the next two weeks anyway he is as good a person as any to use it on. He actually sang and interacted better tonight when he sang than he has any time previously. But I think the judges had already decided before the show even started that they would save whoever the bottom person was, based on the fact that they all performed pretty well yesterday. There was almost no discussion during the time Sam was singing, certainly much less than the previous contestants who have been booted off sang. Also JLo never looked upset at all during the discussion, which was a give away to me that Sam would be safe.

Someone had said in a another thread that there was a season that the save wasn't used. So if the save is already built into the season, does that mean that there is a week if it isn't used that the contestants know no one is going home?

I thought it was shitty of Randy to say at the first that he thought Jessica, Caleb and Jena were the only safe ones. He is a mentor, not a judge, so should not be singling contestants out. And why the hell would Alex not be saved? He did a great job singing a fabulous song that he wrote. And he has never been in the bottom three. WTF, Randy??

I think Ryan was wrong that the audience was going nuts over JLo at the first - I think they were going nuts over Harry. Damn he looked hot in that suit!

Edited by UsernameFatigue

About 10 years ago we had a kid on Canadian Idol around the same age Sam is now named Kalan Porter.  Same exact situation.  InCREDible voice.  I could listen to him sing all day long.  But he was very shy and awkward on stage. Especially during the choreographed group numbers.  I would cringe just watching him.  He improved a bit as the season went on and eventually won.  He was a true musician and his main instrument was a violin.  Anyway, he went on to do the winner's tour and I took my girls to see him.

He put on a GREAT show!  I'm sure my expectations were low and maybe it wasn't that good but the fact is that he just needed time.  The girls were crazy about him but unfortunately there were alot of middle aged women in love with him.  ewww.... I think they may have killed his career. 

I think Sam could be great.  He just needs time.  The fact that he's been in the bottom and was at the bottom last night could be a good sign that there are not another group of crazed middle aged woman waiting to kill his career.  haha..

Sam looked the most comfortable and sounded better than ever last night; I was glad that he was saved (though not happy that Jennifer delivered the news) - I think he has the most lovely, pure tone and quality to his voice.

Sam has just the most incredible voice and perfect pitch. Even last night when he was presumably nervous and most of the singers suck, but from the very first note I was mesmerized. And he was definitely the loosest I've ever seen him. Although his pronunciation of the title word bothered me. It sounded like he was saying, "Babel On".  But I loved how C.J. picked him up.

I wonder if they had confetti ready every week, or if they knew the save would be used this week.  It seemed to be a bit OTT.

And JLo looked the best she's looked all season. She is really stunning anyway, but especially when wearing an appropriately sexy outfit and her hair down (and brushed).

(edited)

If I were AI, I'd have the confetti ready every week, so the staff couldn't prove the save was rigged.  Plausible deniability.

I can go either way on saving Sam, but he seems like a good guy, and I think the save is stupid so I'm glad that's over.

Also glad people are OK from the tornados. 

Edited by marketdoctor
  • Love 1
(edited)

Glad everyone is safe. Hugs.

Thanks to the admins and mods for this site. Love it and great to have a place for all of us to stay together. It may be me or something stupid that I'm doing, but since I joined and visit the site daily, I get the computer freeze and some kind of wonky problems. This is the only new place that I go lately. Anyone else? And I do have all the security whatnots on. Strange.

This is mean, but I hope Jena gets Pia'd as mentioned. Squaty and screamy may screech her way to the finale. (Malaya.)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

I prefer Malaya to Jena and it has little to do with their voices.

Malaya (similarly to Caleb) has a manic personality that can most definitely be annoying. But I feel about both Malaya and Caleb that it is organic and natural and they are not putting on an act but have always acted this way (and probably act the same at home or at school or at a McDonald's job). But with Jena I get the feeling that it is all a carefully staged act designed to fit an image she (and her mother) think will be successful.  I could be totally wrong and Jena might be a very sweet girl, but I'm not feeling it. Even at the dinner last night when she made a toast and said, "I love you all", my first thought was, "Yeah, of course, when the cameras are rolling and it can benefit you."

• Love 3

The dinner thing seemed contrived to me anyway. I think producers told her to say it. Maybe they were tipped off to the fact the GP has been saying they find her unlikeable so they told her to say it to make her seem more likable.

I also prefer Malaya to Jena. I also prefer Malaya to Jessica. I like that Malaya is loose and fun and goofy. It's rare that you'll find a female contestant who likes to be goofy, most of them are just too serious. She has screech problems but the girl is 16. She will be amazing in like 5 years. And once the braces come off I think we will really see improvement from her. I could picture her on a Disney show or something if the singing didn't work out. She also seems to have had experience in musical theater so Broadway could be a possibility for her a la Fantasia.

I prefer Malaya to Jena and it has little to do with their voices.

Malaya (similarly to Caleb) has a manic personality that can most definitely be annoying. But I feel about both Malaya and Caleb that it is organic and natural and they are not putting on an act but have always acted this way (and probably act the same at home or at school or at a McDonald's job). But with Jena I get the feeling that it is all a carefully staged act designed to fit an image she (and her mother) think will be successful.  I could be totally wrong and Jena might be a very sweet girl, but I'm not feeling it. Even at the dinner last night when she made a toast and said, "I love you all", my first thought was, "Yeah, of course, when the cameras are rolling and it can benefit you."

Omg THIS. Get out of my head. :) When she made that toast, Mr. Ari said in a mocking tone, "I love you all... and I aint' goin anywhere, so suck it, you schmucks." He sort of filled in the last part himself obviously. I agree that MomJenaNotGina is auditioning for a reality show.

"The scars of your loaf, leave me breathless." I've been singing that all day. And Mr. Ari told me that he loafs me.

• Love 1

JMO but Sam needs baby steps that a show like Idol will not/cannot provide. It would be the equivalent of someone having a fear of water being thrust into a pool. It doesn't help matters that he's always got a group of screaming teen girls shoved in his face each performance night. Something he's probably not used to after growing up in Del Boca Vista (Seinfeld reference).

I think Bradenton is Del Boca Vista without all the Jewish people (FYI I live in South Florida around the corner from a retirement community. Anyway, glad that Sam was saved. He sings so well but he has to work on the stage presence. And I agree that Malaya and Caleb both have that sparkling personality that will take them a long way (Malaya on Disney/ Nickelodeon is genius - anybody remember Paris from several years ago?)

Oooooh, JenaNotGina really does need to get Pia'd. I've said it several times but there is something really fake about her - she acts all edgy and I just don't see it. She reminds me of a teenage girl that acts all moody and angst ridden while texting on her Iphone her upper middle class dad bought for her while lying on her princess bed. There's nothing gritty about her at all so she just needs to quit the act. 

LMAO Ari333, I loaf that you invited me over here from TWOP. Glad to be hanging out with y'all!!

• Love 4

I only tuned in at the end to see who was voted off... with all the confetti, hooting and celebrating I got confused and thought I'd missed a few episodes and Sam was the winner.  Or the producers finally got on board with much of the audience and decided to just end this season right now... Like the first season of The Glee Project, everyone left standing was a winner. I don't know why the reaction to Sam's save seemed so over the top to me.  And yeah, the confetti and all sort of blew the idea that the save is spontaneously used.   

Don't care, of course, who they used it on.  Sam is a good singer, but as boring as paint drying.  I would probably listen to Alex's CD, but never watch his video's or live performances (sorry, I'm shallow like that). The rest... a great big steaming pile of meh.  Except Dexter, who I do not care for at all.

I'm glad they saved Sam because that means they won't be able to save CJ next week. Did anyone else see on MJs that Dex and CJ have known each other for 5 YEARS, and have sung that same duet together many times?! Which makes it (their duet this week) even more heinous, IMO.

I don't find Jena fake so much as affected or theatrical. She actually reminds me a bit of Cher, although without her lower range.

itsHelloPattiagain I agree about the fakeness of Jena. She's like a reverse Madonna - fake British accent to Jenny from the block. For the record, I was just being a smart ass about where Sam grew up. I haven't a clue about the community in which he lives. 

(edited)

I knew the save had been used before I watched the show, so while I was relieved that they didn't use it on CJ, who can not sing on pitch to save his life, I was still kind of irked they used it on Sam.

He had a good week, perhaps his best week and still landed in the bottom, where he has already been several times. Just let him go.

Malaya was the only one of that three I thought was worth saving. I like Malaya's voice when she doesn't screech, but end up fast forwarding through her songs a lot because I find them boring. I thought she sang the portion of the boring song I didn't skip over well this week and could avoid future B3s with better song choices, whereas barring a major breakthrough, I see Sam & CJ right back in the bottom. Sam is bland city. CJ emotes well, but his pitch is usually painfully off.

Edited by Joystickenvy

Love Julian. SO funny! My new must-read.

I can't recall confetti and a parade when anyone else was "saved."

they must be trying to do whatever they can to make this season more exciting...so boring. 

I'm glad they used the Save for Sam, although I've heard that HCJr. said they would have saved any one of those three because they all bring something to the competition that no one else does... not sure if I agree about that.

I was a early supporter of Sam's because I love the tone of his voice, but he's one of those young contestants who really could have used a couple more years of stage experience - and probably would have benefited by some time at Berklee to learn techniques. He is making small improvements as he gets experience but still is not an electrifying performer and probably will always be the coffee house type singer songwriter.

That being said, there's something about Sam besides shyness - which can be overcome. He seems to be putting up an emotional wall and he has to work to break down. It seems like the almost-elimination perked him up. We'll have to see if it helps and hinders him next week. Worse than a low energy snooze of the performance would be a frantic and desperate performance that looks uncomfortable.

As for the other B3...

I have never been a fan of Malaya's voice. I think she's like a really good high school talent show performer but - she has made significant changes in response to the judges' comments and that buys her a lot of good will. She's kind of the opposite of Sam, actually - with a tendency to be spazzy and hyper. She's done a better job of toning it down than he has ramping it up.

As for CJ - I love his passion, but he.can't.sing.in.tune -EVER and it bugs me. There have been other passionate singers on AI who could also sing in tune. I think the fact that he's such a sweetheart helps keep him around but I've given up hoping for a clean vocal performance.

"The scars of your loaf, leave me breathless." I've been singing that all day. And Mr. Ari told me that he loafs me.

Hahaha!

Every season it seems there is a "break out" singer, one who you just can't help but root for--this year, however, not so much.  They all seem mediocre to me.  Dexter and Caleb are by far the most consistent but I don't really like either one.  I had high hopes for CJ, but unfortunately, he is struggling.  Is it just me or is anyone else having difficulty hearing/understand most of the girls when they sing?  It sounds like they are either not loud enough to be heard over the band or they are singing underwater.  Especially Jena.

Bandzilla has managed to drown out just about everyone other than Caleb at some point this season and they've made some noticeable blunders as well.

I had high hopes for CJ in the beginning as well, but he really needs a good voice coach to help him with his consistent pitch problems. He has an interesting voice and good connection to his material, but none of that matters (unless you're Keith urban) if you sing out of tune constantly.

• Love 1

I was surprised that it was Sam who had the lowest votes; however, I am happy they used the Save on him.  I just hope Caleb, Jena, and Jessica won't be the lowest next week.  Their plan could backfire.

I wonder if CJ has a vocal nodule and doesn't know it, although with the vocal coaches they have, they should have noticed if he did. I've read that vocal nodules can make it hard to stay on pitch and control the voice. His voice is so rough, I wouldn't be surprised if he's got something like that going on.

When Sam started his duet last week I had the volume on but wasn't visually looking at the set and heard this crooner clear sultry voice and I thought it was Harry doing a song but it was Sam...absolutely beautiful, first time I had "heard" him.  Hopefully he will come alive now and take the AI title, he is the best singer, can't warm to the others so much.