Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: US vs. UN vs. UK

Artsda

Team Scorpion is blackmailed to break into the United Nations to assist in the assassination of a menacing arms dealer. Also, Sylvester makes a bold move to protect Megan's wishes.

Once Megan woke up and she said she didn't want to be intubated again and Sylvester promised I knew he'd marry her at that point. He had no other play to get around Walter's court order legally other than marriage.

The rest of the episode felt like watching Ocean's 12.

Did love seeing Dewey Crowe from Justified throughout.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 5

Ocean's 12 or O'Brien's 7.  No jumping between laser beams though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr834Cs9ncs

It was fun to watch the long con in action. Unlike Ocean's 12 where it was "Oh, we had the egg the whole time. This entire movie was just a distraction." Scorpion was improvising as they went along. 

Also, Walter didn't have a death wish this time, didn't recklessly put the team in harms way, and respected Sylvester's decision Ray was also a big help. Guessed what the Band-Aids were for. 

If Cromwell had her way, team Scorpion would have been handed over to the International Court of Justice at the Hague (or the Hagoo if you watched the Amazing Race a couple of episodes ago). 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 1

Fun seeing Damon Herriman get to use an accent other then Southern.  Of course, he's actually Australian, and I don't think I've ever seen him ever play one.  I guess British is closer.  Although, I disagree with Toby that he started out Colin Firth, and switch to Michael Caine.  I thought he sounded more like Jason Statham when he went full-blown MI:6 assassin.

This episode really did feel like some kind of Ocean's 11 type heist, only instead of stealing money or whatever, they're trying to bring down a bad dude.  Even all the flashbacks to how they pulled it off felt very much like those films.

Yeah, the stuff involving Megan makes no sense to me, but at least Walt is finally going to quit going against her wishes.  I still don't know what the goal is though, because baring this show going full science fiction, she has to die.  So it's just one long march to that and both Sly and Walt falling apart in their own ways.

• Love 1

I figured Walt realized he could have the marriage annulled ... but also realized that Sylvester had gone to great lengths to protect his sister's wishes.  Plus, how much longer would it have taken to have the marriage annulled...probably too much time.

I don't think it's a problem that Megan and Sly married after Walter had her declared incompetent.  Even Walter knows it isn't true and that, like Sylvester said, he used money and a late night lawyer to get that power.  So even though Walter could challenge the marriage he won't now because he's slowly coming around to balancing what makes Megan happy and comfortable with his own need to "save" her.  It's more likely that Walter will just let cancel his guardianship drop or if it was for a limited time not renew it and as long as he doesn't challenge them I doubt anyone else would.

Ray should have been the Cousin Oliver of the show but darn if the guy isn't just likeable enough.  It's how he just rolls with things - oh, got a guy in a trunk, I'll just wait out here.  Oh, need me to translate Polish and by the way are you at the UN - OK, no problem.  He never even asks why (he never seems to care why).  Anyone notice when they came back to the garage at the end he was solving a rubicks cube by peeling the stickers off and moving them?

The only thing that is a little annoying is how fast and loose they are with time, in this like the Kazakhstan episode, they seem to be able to bend the rules of air travel and time zones everything can be solved in a day and no matter where they are they're home in time for dinner

• Love 2
Ray should have been the Cousin Oliver of the show but darn if the guy isn't just likeable enough.  It's how he just rolls with things - oh, got a guy in a trunk, I'll just wait out here.  Oh, need me to translate Polish and by the way are you at the UN - OK, no problem.  He never even asks why (he never seems to care why).  Anyone notice when they came back to the garage at the end he was solving a rubicks cube by peeling the stickers off and moving them?

Ray's become my favorite part of any episode.

• Love 3

I'm just so happy that Ray's translation of Polish, though a little slow, was totally competent. I was so afraid they were going to have Toby offering up completely nonsensical blurbs like, "Good afternoon, ladies and buckets," and only after the words left his mouth, realize that Ray was an idiot.

• Love 3

I think my favorite part of the episode was when Sylvester told Walter that he loved Megan and Walter replied 'I know you do'. It was both the words and the tone in which he said it. There was so much more he was saying with that. I think it was Walter's way of saying that he was going to start respecting Megan and her wishes. 

As much as I hate fake medical break-throughs on TV shows, I will be willing to accept one this time because I adore Megan and Sylvester together and if she dies it will kill the show.

I think the original "plan" they had (sneak into the UN with an expert linguist, find the room where the arms dealer and the terrorist were meeting, and have the linguist translate their conversation in order to arrest him) was a good one, and would have made an exciting hour of television.  I don't think the producers believe in their own show.  They constanly feel the need to take a plot and twist it and turn it like a pretzel.  I don't think they realize that a simple, suspenseful story is all they really need to keep us entertained.

This show could be SO good.  They just need to calm down and tell better stories.

• Love 2

I used to peel off the stickers and move them, so I'm all with Ray on that one lol.

I really hope they can keep Megan in a way that is believable, but it feels like they've really pasted themselves into a corner and will have to kill her off.

Took me forever to recognize Desmond's constant - I knew I'd seen Sonya Walger before and had to Google it was driving me so crazy. Penny, how far you've fallen lol.

• Love 1

So I've gotten over trying to make sense of this show. It's ridiculous, but it's fun so far. It winks at itself and trying not to be too serious.

Ok, so for all the talk that these geniuses are who they are and the reason why they have such a low EQ is because they have a high IQ. Funny, because Sylvester has shown a "normal" person's maturity during Megan's battle with her illness.

• Love 1

When Paige said "we went to New York and didn't even see a show." I almost Smashed myself.

This show could be SO good.  They just need to calm down and tell better stories.

I think the problem was they went big on the pilot, and it was popular...so instead of settling down, they kept going for crazy in different ways (and I give partial credit for Toby and Happy's discussion of whether or not what they were doing was crazy (nicely meta)), even next week's bottle episode doesn't look promising.  It might also cut down on the plot recycling.  Or maybe it's totally different, because this time the Governor's daughter isn't sick, it's Walter's sister!  And instead of a well-equipped bedroom, it's a hospital.  So except for the parts that are identical, it's *completely* different.

Some stories don't need a twist, and if you have a twist every time, they lose their surprise, and then you just have to pull off the rubber mask, sell the abandoned amusement park, and realize that the meddling kids weren't the only flaw in your plan.

• Love 3

Ok, so for all the talk that these geniuses are who they are and the reason why they have such a low EQ is because they have a high IQ. Funny, because Sylvester has shown a "normal" person's maturity during Megan's battle with her illness.

That was definitely the claim about Walter, but not necessarily all of them. I mean, Toby's specialty would seem to rely quite a bit on his being able to read others' emotions, so not an issue with him. Sly's deal has more so been debilitating anxiety. Happy falls closer to the Walter bucket of things, but hey they just did a whole episode saying that.
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the show this week but want Megan to get well. Her story adds something to the show. I like how recurring characters are brought back from time to time. It would be fun to see more relatives (characters) for the others. 

• Love 2

All the stupid antics they've done on this show and Sylvester's marriage to Megan is what makes me all twitchy.

There's no way Sylvester managed to get a marriage license. Both parties have to be present at the county courthouse to apply. Did he wheel Megan's hospital bed down himself? If a real judge married them, I might have been able to extend my disbelief that he got a judge to issue the marriage license in the hospital room before the ceremony.

Megan could get better. She only has pneumonia. People survive from that all the time, even patients starting out more critically ill. She definitely won't be cured from her MS, but they could unravel back to the beginning so to speak.

• Love 2

There's no way Sylvester managed to get a marriage license. Both parties have to be present at the county courthouse to apply.

There HAVE to be exceptions to this, or certain people with certain conditions would never be able to get married. I imagine though that such alternate remedies take time (and probably lawyers and court filings). 

I got a couple of questions:

1) Can a bomb really be made out of salami?! How did they know there'd be salami in the kitchen? how did they get into the kitchen without security stopping them?

2) How the heck do these people always talk and listen to everyone else without phones? Everyone always wears earpieces at all times that are tuned into the same frequency? It's so bizarre.

3) How is Madaky with all of his mega security all alone in the black limo at the end? 

4) Hohw is the UN not going crazy from the mini bomb? Where's all the UN security? So weird.

Edited by Big Mother

I got a couple of questions:

1) Can a bomb really be made out of salami?! How did they know there'd be salami in the kitchen? how did they get into the kitchen without security stopping them?

A lot of science stuff are made up, not just on this show. I believe you can not show how to make a real bomb or dangers chemicals on TV, so even if there are some truths in there, they would not show all the details.

edit: And they weren't sure about salami. Walter did say their plan depended on if Happy could find salami in the kitchen. So I have no problem with that part. Sometimes the writers don't have all the research done perfectly, they just have to roll with it.

Edited by moontrt