Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Lost Souls

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I find DD to be a fairly typical comic book villain, which is not necessarily a bad thing just not really that special, but it's Neal McDonough's performance that is really drawing me in. He is clearly enjoying himself and that usually makes it so much better for me.

That said, we knew what Malcolm, Slade and Ra's (sort of) intended to do fairly quickly. Their motivation, regardless of whether it actually made sense or not, was pretty straight forward. Nearly half a season in and we don't really know what Damien is doing or why, other than this brief mention of wanting to make the world a better place. Which is fine, so long as they don't draw it out too long and assuming THEY actually know.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 5

I find DD to be a fairly typical comic book villain, which is not necessarily a bad thing just not really that special, but it's Neal McDonough's performance that is really drawing me in. He is clearly enjoying himself and that usually makes it so much better for me.

I agree with this, I think Neal McDonough's performance is why I'm enjoying DD so much.

That said, we knew what Malcolm, Slade and Ra's (sort of) intended to do fairly quickly. Their motivation, regardless of whether it actually made sense or not, was pretty straight forward. Nearly half a season in and we don't really know what Damien is doing or why, other than this brief mention of wanting to make the world a better place. Which is fine, so long as they don't draw it out too long and assuming THEY actually know.

My guess is the big reveal will come in the MSF that seems right up their alley. As of right now I'm actually fine with getting the pieces of the puzzle without the big picture. However, if it drags on much beyond MSF I will probably start to complain
  • Love 3

I think Neal McDonough is doing a great job making Damien entertaining to watch, I just don't find him very threatening as a villain. Slade and Malcolm had a bit more threat in them. Then Zoom on the Flash throwing Barry around like a rag doll showed me how much of a threat he is. I haven't seen that from DD yet. So far he's doing the typical comic villain gloating without actually doing anything evil. I need to see more than just clever one liners from the main villain. 

All my thanks to SA and EBR for how they sell the Olicity scenes.

I actually think we're ahead of schedule in terms of Slade and Malcolm. With Slade, we didn't know it was him or what he wanted until his monologue in 2x09 (I think that's the episode.) For Malcolm, while we knew he was a viliain earlier, it wasn't until The Undertaking (1x21) that we heard the plan.  When did we learn that Ra's wanted Oliver to replace him?

So while we don't know what Stage 3 is, DD is actually ahead of their schedule.

I think Neal McDonough is doing a great job making Damien entertaining to watch, I just don't find him very threatening as a villain. Slade and Malcolm had a bit more threat in them. Then Zoom on the Flash throwing Barry around like a rag doll showed me how much of a threat he is. I haven't seen that from DD yet. So far he's doing the typical comic villain gloating without actually doing anything evil. I need to see more than just clever one liners from the main villain.

This I agree with. While he is fun to watch DD doesn't really seem as intimidating as Slade, who had obvious physicality from the first moment we saw him, or Ra's who had the rep (which he didn't even remotely live up to but that is a whole other issue). He seems a Lex Luthor type only with magic, which could be an interesting match against Oliver. But so far all we have SEEN is he can deflect arrows and move chains.

• Love 2

Can anyone tell me why Oliver and Felicity's 2 love scenes had them wearing all black?

Granted he was shirtless but...

I think the simple answer is black is a good color to wear when traveling to NP.  Felicity, when she goes out into the field, wears black.  So I think the first time, it's just what she was wearing. 

Now in this second scene, I think they dressed her in black very deliberately to better bring the visualization of the Yin Yang symbol that was their kiss to life.  They could have had Oliver in black and Felicity in white but I was much happier with letting his naked skin be the light color to contrast with the black outfit she wore. 

Interestingly, the Yin symbol with translates to "shady or dark side of a hill" and is represented by the black swirl is typically associated with the "female principle in nature" (whatever that means) while Yang which translates to "sunny or bright side of the hill" represented by the white swirl, would be then the "male principle in nature". 

• Love 6

That love scene just keeps on giving! On rewatch, I also noticed that she hooks her left foot on his thigh. I'm not really sure why but it made me go "awww" and giggle. Plus the Vulture description of her climbing on top of Oliver like a "surfboard."

I just went to look for the foot. My latest thoughts were actually that Oliver is pretty brave to be hanging around shirtless with Donna there. She's not really one for privacy. Unless he whipped his shirt off when he heard her call out goodbye to Felicity and close the door on her way out.

We need to have an Arrow Christmas Dinner where Oliver invites his two ex girlfriends to his and his new girlfriends place, then his new girlfriend's mother invites the father of his two ex girlfriends. Awkward dinner party is awkward. 

• Love 5

I just went to look for the foot. My latest thoughts were actually that Oliver is pretty brave to be hanging around shirtless with Donna there. She's not really one for privacy. Unless he whipped his shirt off when he heard her call out goodbye to Felicity and close the door on her way out.

You can kind of see it here, before the GIF cuts off. I can't find one that's better lit :(

tumblr_nxtz905jdE1uu9rc9o3_500.gif

• Love 1

This I agree with. While he is fun to watch DD doesn't really seem as intimidating as Slade, who had obvious physicality from the first moment we saw him, or Ra's who had the rep (which he didn't even remotely live up to but that is a whole other issue). He seems a Lex Luthor type only with magic, which could be an interesting match against Oliver. But so far all we have SEEN is he can deflect arrows and move chains.

And suck the life out of someone.

• Love 1

Tumblr to the rescue! (More gifs of the um, entire straddling sequence is slowed down, lightened, and zoomed in at the source post):

tumblr_nxvdkqpOq61rnxarfo4_500.gif

• Love 5

Hey, after you look at it an ungodly number of times, you start noticing stuff.

Haha, I don't know. My gaze is firmly on the hip action and not much else. LOL.

On that note though, that was a perfect moment for an ass grab and SA failed us. He failed us all!

Oliver's poor left leg appears to be spasming.

They both sort of went up at one point.

Why are you focusing on his LEG?! What is this madness. Haha.

Hey, I'm noticing you can now see their reflection in the mirror. This is a very good gifset. High praise.
  • Love 1

Haha, I don't know. My gaze is firmly on the hip action and not much else. LOL.

On that note though, that was a perfect moment for an ass grab and SA failed us. He failed us all!

He already did the ass grab during the transition to straddle... he was going for a classic shoulder grab/rub.... We know he's a shoulders kinda guy too ;)

• Love 1

Next time, maybe they should put Felicity's hair up so EBR won't have to get it out of the way so we can fully see and enjoy the kissing. 

This is exactly what I was thinking. Both times EBR had to shove her hair out of her face... So next time I want her to have her hair tied up :p Or maybe Oliver can be on top for once lol

• Love 6

We need to have an Arrow Christmas Dinner where Oliver invites his two ex girlfriends to his and his new girlfriends place, then his new girlfriend's mother invites the father of his two ex girlfriends. Awkward dinner party is awkward. 

Just so everyone is suffering in this scenario, lets say since he had no where else to go, Felicity has also invited Ray.  Let the pain begin!   

Just so everyone is suffering in this scenario, lets say since he had no where else to go, Felicity has also invited Ray.  Let the pain begin!   

LOL Although I honestly have to say that Lance and Donna possibly getting involved causes no discomfort for me as a viewer. At least not due to Oliver's prior relationships with Lance's daughters. Those feel really far removed, plus Lance met Felicity as a grownup, and Oliver and Felicity's relationship predates anything between Quentin and Donna. I get why it could be uncomfortable for the characters but it just isn't from me watching from the outside. And if they do go for discomfort, they better show someone being amused by this. Most likey Donna.

Any hesitation on my side is that I'm not sure that Quentin is worthy of the wonder that is Donna.

• Love 5

I bet they would invite him and then he would shrink accidentally and fall into the bowl of tater tots during the meal. Cue the funny reveal of RP in a bowl of tots.

• Love 2

That dinner can't be any more uncomfortable than Oliver's ex-girlfriend being a part of a team that both Oliver & Felicity work with everyday.

I dunno.... when they're doing Team Arrow stuff, they've focused on the mission so they can avoid awkward social gaffes.  At dinner, they would actually have to make small talk for extended periods of time.  Non-vigilante talk since Donna doesn't know about their night lives.

• Love 3

Just so everyone is suffering in this scenario, lets say since he had no where else to go, Felicity has also invited Ray.  Let the pain begin!

And then invite Malcolm for Thea....

• Love 1

For maximum awkwardness, have Oliver and Felicity host Thanksgiving. Thea is there, of course, along with Laurel and Sara. Ray too. Malcolm just shows up, and so does Nyssa. Donna arrives with Quentin on her arm. As everyone is about to sit down the doorbell rings. It's Helena and McKenna. And right behind them comes Oliver's old girlfriend from Central City, who wants to introduce him to someone....

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 2

If we're going for maximum awkwardness let's invite back Constantine maybe he can have a séance so we can bring back Tommy, Moira & Robert. All one big happy family dinner.

My only condition is Raisa has to be the one serving the dinner. :)

Well, if we're doing that, then Constantine can also bring back Shado and her father, Malcolm's wife, Nyssa's father, then Slade shows up with his sword and demands to carve the turkey.

I think we should save the island people for 2016, perhaps we'll have more people to invite then. Poppy might have a purpose. Plus isn't it usually a tradition to do an island themed episode in Jan/Feb?

Well, if we're doing that, then Constantine can also bring back Shado and her father, Malcolm's wife, Nyssa's father, then Slade shows up with his sword and demands to carve the turkey.

To round it out, Constantine can bring back Ray's dead fiancée too.

Oliver will have cooked a pigturducken so there will be plenty of food.

Edited by morakot

To round it out, Constantine can bring back Ray's dead fiancée too.

Oliver will have cooked a pigturducken so there will be plenty of food.

Cue Crossover event!!! Why not get Barry's mom & Ronnie back too just for one night?

Love the main course choice :)

Edited by kismet