Type keyword(s) to search

Hear them sing! Songs and voices on Glee

I like Daydream Believer but I can't take it seriously as a song since I'm so used to hearing it as a football chant.

Someday We'll Be Together is lovely. I really hope she's not singing to Sam though. This song always reminds me of Motown's 25th Anniversary Concert. Apparently Diana Ross and Mary Wilson nearly came to blows onstage during this song.

I like This Time. But for the last episode is meh, actually they all kind of are. Their best is behind all of them on this show.

All the autotune on earth couldn't make that good.

I think Matt will sound good at least.

We haven't heard I Lived yet either so..... maybe a bit but not the whole version. 

Don't know if i want to listen to Darren's song yet might just wait till Friday but who knows. I might like a surprise or two for the ending. 

Sadly, I wasn't blown away by Daydream Believer. Chris just sounded weird in that range. And I was reading somewhere that Chris hasn't had a solo

song since Bashed last season. That's ridiculous. But we had to suffer thru how many VA "choral" numbers??? 

Just seems really odd that neither Chris or Darren have had a solo song this season. I'm happy we've gotten some duets but still, this seems a bit ridiculous after

the last couple of seasons. 

This time

Lea sounds great (especially earlier in the song when she isn't belting it) and the lyrics are beautiful but it is over-produced.  They needed to dial back the instruments some, especially the drums.  If they had done that along with toning down the belting later in the song I think it would have been fantastic.

Still Darren should be commended for the lyrics.  They are beautiful and really capture the moment.  I just wish the producers had let Lea's incredible voice shine a light on them instead of filling up the arrangement with so much instrumentation and belting (so she could be heard over the instrumentation), especially later in the song.  

I agree. I like the first part but from when the orchestration comes in - and it's a humdrum orchestration - she goes on a belting spree, and this combination is too much seeking effect for me. I grew tired of the belting sound by the end, and as a result I can't remember a thing from the melody even though I just listened to it. I thought while I was listening that it was a good song, for Darren's sake. 

Edited by fakeempress

Late to this, but I just listened to Popular - well, just enough to hear Lea imitating Chenoweth, and wow, that is just... for me, it's awful. I HATE that Lea appears to be actually trying to mimic KC's voice - not just the arrangement, but her actual distinctive voice!  I mean, I've seen other non-Chenoweth versions of Popular, and you can have a great Glinda being over the top and theatrical -- WITHOUT actually mimicking KC's voice!  I wonder whether that was Lea's choice or the producer's.  

I guess I should wait and see how it happens in the show - maybe there's some explanation for the mimicry.  If not - I think it's a terrible choice to SO clearly copy such a distinctive voice.  I had to stop listening, because it took me right out of the song.

• Love 2
Late to this, but I just listened to Popular - well, just enough to hear Lea imitating Chenoweth, and wow, that is just... for me, it's awful. I HATE that Lea appears to be actually trying to mimic KC's voice - not just the arrangement, but her actual distinctive voice!  I mean, I've seen other non-Chenoweth versions of Popular, and you can have a great Glinda being over the top and theatrical -- WITHOUT actually mimicking KC's voice!  I wonder whether that was Lea's choice or the producer's. 

I guess I should wait and see how it happens in the show - maybe there's some explanation for the mimicry.  If not - I think it's a terrible choice to SO clearly copy such a distinctive voice.  I had to stop listening, because it took me right out of the song.

That was exactly my point earlier.  I thought Chris' part was good but I hated Lea's part because it was clearly an attempt to not only imitate but  actually mimic Chenoweth's vocals.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

I just listened to Popular and now I understand all the comments about imitating Kristin. It would be better and makes more sense if she sang it with her bossy season one Rachel voice ("Don't fight it. I, Rachel Berry, *will* make you popular!").

I loved Daydream Believer. It's so cute and fun and Chris sounds like he's smiling throughout the song.

"I Lived" wasn't awful - but I wouldn't have picked it as the last song.

That is the way I feel.  It is a good song but not memorable enough for the last song of Glee.  I am glad that Matt starts the song off.  

I was expecting and hoping for more voices. Like Naya, Dianna, Jenna, Mark or Jacob.

I wasn't because none of them recorded except Jenna and I assumed Jenna's recording was for "I kissed a girl."

Edited by camussie

I was expecting and hoping for more voices. Like Naya, Dianna, Jenna, Mark or Jacob.

Naya and Dianna were both in New York when the vocals were recorded. They flew in the day before filming. I think this whole group number, with EVERYONE, was a last minute thing, and RIB+ were lucky that everyone was available or made room in their schedule for filming. 

Edited by Ceeg

It was very obvious the group number was a last minute thing, so I knew the vocals would be limited to current regulars.

I'm not even interested anymore. If I watch the number, it will be if I convince myself to think of them as the cast and not the characters.

I hear Matt, Lea, Kevin, Chord, Amber, Darren and I think Chris.  I wasn't expecting anyone else but them as they were in the studio.  I am guessing, Naya, Dianna, Mark, etc., etc., will appear at the back half of the number

I heard Chris and Darren and also Amber and Chord singing together. I actually thought that was Jonathan that started it off. Should have known that Lea would have a big portion but I also thought I heard Naya. I guess the actual video will show who got what in this song!

Teach Your Children could have been great if some beautiful harmonies had been added. This was a totally forgettable rendition. I Lived is a bland choice to end the entire series on. It's Glee.

I was rather disappointed with I Lived. With that many voices they really could have layered the singers with the arrangement and created a richer, complex sound. This was very straightforward with the usual suspects dominating the number. It would have been nice to hear more voices, especially given that this is the last song, but it's part for the course with this season... the arrangements haven been either totally overdone or positively pedestrian.

Edited by Hana Chan

I heard Chris and Darren and also Amber and Chord singing together. I actually thought that was Jonathan that started it off. Should have known that Lea would have a big portion but I also thought I heard Naya. I guess the actual video will show who got what in this song!

It's definitely Matt IMO. Jon's voice is much grittier.

Jane got to sing so much this damn season. But to me she actually doesn't sound too bad in TWTIA! All the finale songs are a bit underwhelming but I guess they figured more fans would be concentrating on the characters than what they are actually singing. But it would have been nice IMO to go out with some memorable songs and these just aren't them FOR ME!

Jane got to sing so much this damn season. But to me she actually doesn't sound too bad in TWTIA! All the finale songs are a bit underwhelming but I guess they figured more fans would be concentrating on the characters than what they are actually singing. But it would have been nice IMO to go out with some memorable songs and these just aren't them FOR ME!

I agree - I don't see myself buying any of the songs from the finale. Like you said, they're just not memorable. And I'm also doubting they'll having any real emotional impact on the scene or episode, even though it's the finale. A lot of my favorite songs from the show were not only had a good arrangement or good vocals, but also had context. These are just kind of like "Hey, here's some more songs since people sing on this show."

That is the way I feel.  It is a good song but not memorable enough for the last song of Glee. 

Yep. Even though DSB wasn't the "first" song of glee, it became its kickoff. I wish they had a sendoff number that was equally as strong.

ETA: My ideal would have been the 5+ year flash forwards (short scenes of ALL the characters) while Cory's "Not the End" from the graduation album played.

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 2

First of all, Kristin is a wonderful lady whose performance on "Rhodes" was the greatest of any guest on Glee. She is a trained coloratura soprano who can do this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U5liuHR6wug

(If Lea tried that she'd end up in the ER.)

However, when Kristin leaves the world of opera, she can't properly adjust her voice. It becomes nasal (as does her speaking voice), the high end disappears, and she sometimes adopts an annoying, almost child-like effect, as in the intro to her studio recording of "Popular".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y_uM8bUnlGQ

The only way Lea could "channel" Kristin in any pop/Broadway song would be to wear nose plugs.

Here are Lea and Kristin singing "For Good" live together:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aVlTqW7lv7A

All of the differences heard in their respective versions of "Maybe This Time" and "Popular" are readily apparent. Lea's voice has a higher top (inexplicably, being a mezzo), greater dynamic range, richness, resonance, clarity, and tonal bloom. Even Chris outsings Kristin (as he did Judy on "Happy...").

Okay, "This Time". Too much. Too many words, too many unconnected ideas, unnecessary final verse, too many instruments in the overblown breaks, too many different vocal styles, It was Anders' fault. He should have edited the lyrics and drastically simplified the arrangement in keeping with the terrific understated opening. He was again playing to current pop tastes which I can't stand. And yet, and yet, Lea's emotions come through all the racket, and it will almost certainly become the most "Popular" of all the finale's songs.

And yet despite your contention that Lea is the superior talent to Kristin (totally disagree as they are both very talented) channeling or rather mimicking Chenoweths version of popular is exactly what Lea does. Granted not well but still she does it.

All of the OTT praise of Lea in the world doesn't change that it was more than one person's reaction that the song should have been produced differently.

As for "maybe this time" both were good on it but I felt Kristin was better because Lea strained on a couple of notes.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

I'm not surprised we don't have more people on I Lived, but I'm still disappointed. I would've liked all of the originals, and even Chord and Darren, to sing on a song together. Even the ones I don't care for helped make the show what it is, and I wanted them all to have a moment.

Also, even though I do enjoy popular, I noticed Lea kind of imitating Kristin. Controversially, I generally find Kristin's voice a little irritating, so I would've prefered that to not happen, as Lea trying to do it is almost more annoying. But when she's singing as herself I like it.

Listening to "I Lived", you realize that they kept a lot of the guys around and not enough of the girls. Grrrr...

I actually like Lea in it and I don't like Chris in it. (Popular.) But that's only because the purist in me doesn't want it to be a duet. (Also..with the exception of Happy Days Are Here Again/Get Happy -..which is my favorite performance on the show ever..I actually don't like Lea and Chris' voice together.) Although, I might like it better if it was just Chris. 

Daydream Believer - So...Kurt's last song has no falsetto? Really? I do like this song..but..really..last song for the two of them? 

This time - As everyone else says..the beginning is beautiful. It's too bad it didn't continue with just Rachel and the piano. I don't mind her belting..but too much instruments and everything. 

I lived - It's okay. I can see where it would be a decent group song. 

I really think the visuals is going to help elevate the emotion of I Lived. I actually look forward to watching it on screen. Of course knowing this show they will chop it down to a 90 second clip ruining the impact I imagine it's gonna have on me just from listening to the audio.

I don't think Chris has a line, I mean solo line. I can only hear him just harmonising with Darren. 

Chris not getting even a single solo line in the last song is pretty unforgivable, but not unexpected. The show has been sidelining him vocally for several seasons now. When you consider that his last solo was in Bash last season (and was his only solo in season five), something was very wrong behind the scenes. If I want to be charitable, I could reasonably entertain the speculation that he might have requested less studio time so he could focus on preparing for his film but I think the truth is closer to him just not being the teachers pet and therefore doesn't get the cookies.

I love Amber, but her character had little to do this season except to pop in, play fairy godmother to Rachel and sing the occasional solo. Sam was little more than Rachel's temporary penis, but he got a solo and multiple duets. And don't get me started on all the superfluous VA numbers that I had to endure. I just don't get the logic of the showrunners in deciding who sings what and when.

• Love 2

My only surprise this season it term of singing is that Blaine didn't get a solo.

Everyone else who usually get a solo during the series run, got it except him.  This shock me and makes me wonder why.

This season has been IMO nothing more than give the fans EVERYTHING they DON'T want and see how many stick around, it felt like some weird experiment they were conducting. Unfortunately, the experiment wasn't successful. Those who wanted to see Mercedes got pissed at how much they belittled her character and made her so OOC to push Rachel's story line that they tuned out. Those who thought Sam could be a "leading man" if he got stuck with Rachel were probably a little happy because he got some more singing, a little more screen time, but in getting that he also lost his voice and became nothing more than the next puppet prop in the Rachel Berry story line. Now they are complaining because their hopeful "leading man" has been sidelined for Jesse. I find it rather karma like when those same fans were screaming and TRYING to trend "Respect Sam Evans" when he was with Mercedes (most of us know why) but when they have Sue completely mind fucked him so he could get with Rachel or when Rachel actually did just dismiss him like he actually was nothing more than a penis to ride to get her back into the flow of dating not one peep about "Respect Sam Evans". But guess who is screaming now that the writers suck, that Sam was just used for Rachel, and one of the best is now he won't have a happy ending (that one is because they think he might end up with Mercedes, a character they just hate).

Poor Artie absolutely nothing this season for him. After the craziness of the whole love triangle of Karofsky/Blaine/Kurt there has been little for them after the wedding. Quinn and Puck got REALLY nothing. Tina is still used as their punch line to some very unfunny jokes. Santana/Brittany faired pretty well at least they escaped the fate of being another prop for Rachel.

So once more nothing but lies rolled off the tongue of Ryan Murphy. I saw nothing this 6th season that showed "arts in school" is important, nor did I see any concentration on the original members. Every thing was ALL ABOUT Rachel ALL OF THE TIME.  I guess none of the staff really gave a shit cause it seems some of the crew and writers will be joining Ryan on Scream Queens so they know they had job security.

But what gets me the most is why would the show NOT want to go out on a better note. If episodes 12 and 13 are good some will appreciate the ending but nothing can make up for the horrible way they got to the end. Plus I think there won't be enough time to give anyone proper closure. When the show could have actually probably started with episode 9 to start doing a proper send off for all of its characters. Right now the foundation has been laid for Rachel and Rachel alone. A side way throw away line about Blaine getting into NYU will set up the return of him and Kurt to NY. I guess we'll have to just figure out that Artie didn't get expelled after so much time spent away from school cause he was in Lima doing absolutely nothing. I guess Santana has school and Brittany her web series. Tina I take it is still at Brown and on the hunt for a man. Quinn is still in school and Puck still in the Air Force. Mercedes is still recording but where is the Grammy she always wanted. Rachel can get a Tony I wonder if Mercedes will get anything she truly dreamed of. Sam I take it will stay in Lima and coach the football team, with the possibility of going to college since he was such an advocate for Rachel to go back.

All in all very disappointing season. I haven't watched any of the episodes (caught some stuff on Tumblr & YouTube)  but even I might be turning on my television and catching the last 2. Maybe Glee got it right and those 2 will be the ones that most fans will walk away remembering and talking about. Because there is NO WAY I would spend my money to buy the DVD or buy any of these songs on ITunes from this season.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 2

I was trying not to listen to most of the finale songs but I caved. I only really liked This Time and I Lived (although the other ones weren't bad--just not my taste I guess). Still would've liked I Lived a lot more if we had gotten more people on it. I guess I'm not as picky about the production on This Time as a lot of you guys seem to be. It does have a starkid feel, when starkid songs are good anyway. A little cheesy, but I like it.

On a sad note, for some reason, I keep thinking I'm gonna hear Cory on I Lived. Definitely feels like a song he should be leading on.

Edited by phoenixrising

Puck still in the Air Force.

I'm still not sure if Puck didn't just rent an Air Force uniform from a costume shop or bought one off of the Internet for all of the time he's been loitering about Lima...
  • Love 1

On a sad note, for some reason, I keep thinking I'm gonna hear Cory on I Lived. Definitely feels like a song he should be leading on.

I'm actually surprised that in the past 2 years, Glee never used This Is Not The End. I always felt like it would have been perfect for the Finn tribute episode, and if not then, the finale. They literally have footage of Finn singing a song called This Is Not The End. It just seems so obvious and such a wasted opportunity.

• Love 7

I'm actually surprised that in the past 2 years, Glee never used This Is Not The End. I always felt like it would have been perfect for the Finn tribute episode, and if not then, the finale. They literally have footage of Finn singing a song called This Is Not The End. It just seems so obvious and such a wasted opportunity.

I agree. I just started listening to it again, and it would absolutely have been the perfect closing song. Sure, it would be heartbreaking to hear, but having that playing over mini flashforwards would be perfect. It would have Cory be a part of it in spirit, and the lyrics are actually....really good (and ironic) for the closing of Glee. It's actually one of my favourite Cory solos and it's a shame it only got on the graduation album and not on the show. 

God, this show's tagline should be Glee: A Land of Wasted Opportunity.

• Love 6

So from the last two episodes my favourite song by a country mile is I Kissed a Girl. Reminded why I love Tina and why she's the one character who would've been much better off if she had never signed up for the glee club.

Am in a minority of one for rather liking "I Lived"? Enough to buy it, along with "Popular" and "Daydream Believer." I've always enjoyed songs where I can hear the real cast, as opposed to the studio singers. And this one definitely fulfills that brief. And, while Chris might not be a featured soloist on that song, I can hear his distinctive voice among the group for a great deal of it. Matt sounds fantastic on it. His voice is like buttah :)

I have the benefit of never having heard KChen singing "Popular" so I get to enjoy that too; Lea and Chris sound so heavenly together, it's just another of this show's bitter failures that their duets were curtailed.

As for "Daydream Believer," I agree with the poster above who thought it sounded like Chris was smiling all the way through. I rather like Darren's voice, with the right material, and I've enjoyed Kurt and Blaine's duets for far longer than I've enjoyed their relationship. Plus, Chris continues to be my favourite singer on Glee, period, and I learned long ago to enjoy him wherever I found him. This duet was fairly even-handed, and less obviously tricksy to boost Darren's vocals than some past examples. It's cute as a button. And I have a lasting fondness for The Monkees from my childhood. 

I've left quite a few songs to listen to for the first time during the episode.

Edited by heyerchick

This Time is doing really well on itunes (broke 200)  and I lived it doing pretty good.

After the show airs I would said I lived will do the best overall.   Group Number, last song ever, relatively newer song.

My only surprise this season it term of singing is that Blaine didn't get a solo.

Everyone else who usually get a solo during the series run, got it except him.  This shock me and makes me wonder why.

Kurt didn't get a solo either, and definitely deserved one.

• Love 3

This Time is doing really well on itunes (broke 200)  and I lived it doing pretty good.

After the show airs I would said I lived will do the best overall.   Group Number, last song ever, relatively newer song.

I think it's safe to say This Time will do better than the other Darren song because of the Lea and Rachel's last song factors. 

I think it's safe to say This Time will do better than the other Darren song because of the Lea and Rachel's last song factors. 

Well it has already gone higher on itunes then Rise did even after the show aired.