Type keyword(s) to search

Hear them sing! Songs and voices on Glee

No but it does have to sound like a grown up.

Etta James hated Beyoncé's version, probably just as well she'll never hear this.

If I have to go into details, Mercedes is supposed to be 20-21 years old. And she is a soprano. I don't know what constitutes "sounding like a grownup" here.Singing low and husky? 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

Our Day Will Come - Naya sounds so lovely. Should have been a solo song cause the boys made my ears bleed.

At Last - Ok cover, but no feeling, no emotion. Amber is a show off singer, more concerned about the notes she hits and not the emotional connection to the song, ugh.

I'm So Excited - More of Amber's squeaky voice, no thanks. And what a bland cover of this song

If I have to go into details, Mercedes is supposed to be 20-21 years old. And she is a soprano. I don't know what constitutes "sounding like a grownup" here.Singing low and husky?

Mercedes age is irrelevant, it's her voice, it sounds too innocent.

At Last is not a song you can get nearly right, you do it well or not at all. Glee should've gone for the latter option.

Does At Last even make sense to sing at a wedding of a bunch of 20 year olds who have basically been together since high school? "At last my love has come along my lonely days are over" are they talking about the while 5 minutes they were not together? I don't love Amber or Kevin on this.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1

I think Amber sounds amazing. But you can't please everyone. I'm just glad they are letting her sing at this point. Too much of this final season has been Lea's voice IMO!

• Love 3

Mercedes age is irrelevant, it's her voice, it sounds too innocent.

At Last is not a song you can get nearly right, you do it well or not at all. Glee should've gone for the latter option.

Why do you think that "at last my love has come along" should only fit a mature woman?. And I think jazz defies rigid "should" by its very nature. 

Edited by fakeempress

Why do you think that "at last my love has come along" should only fit a mature woman?. And I think jazz defies rigid "should" by its very nature.

To me the song suggests someone who's lived, I mean it's called At Last. That doesn't suggest someone who's barely out of their teens. The next line after the one you quote is "my lonely days are over"

As someone else pointed out its not really appropriate for 20 year olds getting married either.

It actually would've worked better for Burt/Carole or Will/Emma's wedding. I said earlier Naya could maybe do it justice.

To me the song suggests someone who's lived, I mean it's called At Last. That doesn't suggest someone who's barely out of their teens. The next line after the one you quote is "my lonely days are over"

Etta James was 22 when that song was released.

• Love 1

Its not age it's maturity of voice, some singers have a world weary vibe to their tone , some don't. I'm guessing Edith Piaf sounded like Edith Piaf at 20.

And I suspect Amber will never lose that pure/innocent quality to her voice.

Voices grow mature and older too. These characters are all barely out of high school (well, not if you watch the show, they are still in high school in one way or other lol) - yet they've sung all kinds of songs. I do get the preference for a mature sounding voice, don't get me wrong, but I see it as a preference. I was objecting more to saying Amber and Kevin sound horrible.

Btw, speaking of Amber, she posted on IG video snippets of people singing at her birthday party this weekend, her family members included. It's so cool to see talent runs in the family. 

http://instagram.com/msamberpriley

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Even though I do lie the way Amber sounds on "At Last", I do agree that it is a silly song to sing at that particular wedding. I know it is a popular wedding song, but usually for people who have been out of high school more than 2 years. It just doesn't fit a bunch a people who, with the exception of a few brief interludes have always been together. They haven't been waiting for love. There were no lonely days. Maybe some lonely hours. 

It's Glee. Since when do the lyrics ever match the context?

Would be nice occasionally!

I think Poker Face wins most inappropriate. And Losing My Religion isn't actually about losing religion.

Can't think of any other just now.

'Ben'.

Even Chris thought the way that song was placed in the episode was ridiculous and tweeted "Where else can a guy sing a song about a rat to a gay pirate?"

(Although I cherish it as the only Kurt/Rachel/Finn song we got.)

• Love 2
Voices grow mature and older too. These characters are all barely out of high school (well, not if you watch the show, they are still in high school in one way or other lol) - yet they've sung all kinds of songs. I do get the preference for a mature sounding voice, don't get me wrong, but I see it as a preference. I was objecting more to saying Amber and Kevin sound horrible.

I'm late to the party, but I still wanted to chime in.  While I agree that Amber sounds young and innocent on this, I do think that is exactly how Mercedes should  sound singing this song.  Mercedes is young and innocent, and I think Amber sounds lovely.  I just wish it wasn't a duet.  I also totally agree that At Last is a really stupid song selection for characters barely out of their teens.

I thought I'm so Excited was just Meh.  So last century.

Edited by LydiaMoon1

The way they made SUCH a big deal about Kurt getting a boyfriend, I could see that particular teen singing that particular song then. But of course it would have been a duet with Blaine mostly singing because that's how Glee rolls...

Not feeling too impressed by "Break Free": http://littlegleeprincess.tumblr.com/post/111866951048/break-free-glee-cast 

The arrangement is off, the background is too crowded, tempo rises & falls too much IMO. It's just not a good sound/nor song being sung to me!

It's a bad song to start with and there's nothing here that improves it except that you can actually understand the words on this version.  Ariana sounds like she has marbles in her mouth.

Do not like the song in the first place but it would have been much better if it was just Lea with some of the background singers toned down.   Beiste is way to autotuned and completely unnecessary.

Yes I wanted duets for Rachel other then Blam but I was thinking Will, Kurt, Mercedes, Artie certainly not Beiste.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Lose My Breath is performed by the kid? Remember that discussion about out of context songs! It's not awful, but it is slowed down, which sort of misses the point of the song being called Lose My Breath.

Uptown Funk, I only listened to a bit and it was Roderick. No, just no. There are only three men on glee who could do this justice and none of them are in this episode. Jane would've done it justice, but no...

Who let the asshole jock sing The Cure? No, just no.

Male incest twin sounds whiny on I Want To Break Free, but not horrible.

Break Free. You can't ruin an Ariana Grande song, but good try!

Cool Kids sounds good, but I'm not familiar with the original.

I'm annoyed all the male newbies have had a solo. Otis has had three and a major duet, Jane's had one solo, Madison's had none, and Kitty has had one solo in three seasons.

Even though I am mostly liking the dudes voices (minus spencer), yeah, it's dumb the girls aren't singing more. Especially Jane, when Tightrope is still one of the best things this season. All the girls are better than gay jock (and yes his ruining the cure is unforgivable).

Edited by phoenixrising

Uptown Funk, I only listened to a bit and it was Roderick. No, just no. There are only three men on glee who could do this justice and none of them are in this episode. Jane would've done it justice, but no...

Jane is singing on the song. She starts it off. I can't tell who the other male voice is besides Roderick though, is it Spencer?

Jane is singing on the song. She starts it off. I can't tell who the other male voice is besides Roderick though, is it Spencer?

Not on her own she's not, Roderick's singing too.

Honestly the Big Bang Theory flash mob was better at performing to this than the New Directions.

Edited by jtrattray

I'm annoyed all the male newbies have had a solo. Otis has had three and a major duet, Jane's had one solo, Madison's had none, and Kitty has had one solo in three seasons.

Feel sorry for the Kurt fans. He's supposed to be a lead and we're not likely to get a single solo from him this season.

• Love 1

Feel sorry for the Kurt fans. He's supposed to be a lead and we're not likely to get a single solo from him this season.

No but he has had all five previous seasons. These guys only have this season, well except Becca who was sidelined and underused her two previous seasons.