Type keyword(s) to search

Hear them sing! Songs and voices on Glee

I honestly didn't even notice the live singing in Suddenly Seymour. I didn't like the song overall, but I didn't think he sounded notably bad on it. But I was only half-listening to it.

I almost suggested listening again, but it actually does sound fairly bad if you pay attention and I'm not going to do that to you over a played out tv show. The mismatch of him live and her autotuned to hell and back is a strange choice that serves neither of them nor the viewers well. What is even with the runs at the end? The sad thing is this probably would have been good had they put some time into doing it more like the original version.

• Love 2

So then he's the only one who's sung an entire solo live. Semantics. Although I think they stopped the live snips even for non-recorded songs after S1 - for example the original songs etc in S2 definitely felt recorded to me.

If you've said the above first, I wouldn't have commented about the other live songs, so it's not just "semantics"

• Love 1

I'm not the one who brought it up originally,  that's why I thought maybe the distinction should be made. Didn't mean to come across as flippant! In S1 we had some snippets of songs being sung live - I found that rather charming. After S1, for some reason, anyone singing as much as two notes was produced and autotuned to hell and back...at least that's my general impression.

Maybe someone can remind me, did we have stuff like the original 5 audition songs, Ride wit me, Emma's All by myseeeeelf in the car, after S1?

She really is talented which is why I wish Mercedes had performed one solo in competitions and also why I wish the Glee producers didn't add so many vocal runs to a lot of the arrangements she did

Also that is amazing she did Bridge Over Troubled Waters in one take.

I love that song, and it was a treat to hear Amber on it, she was amazing. Now here is someone who can sing live any day of the week on the show and sound great, ditto Matt, Lea and Alex, and I'll put Jenna, Kevin and Chris there, before I'd want to put Darren in front of a live mic for four songs.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

So then he's the only one who's sung an entire solo live. Semantics. Although I think they stopped the live snips even for non-recorded songs after S1 - for example the original songs etc in S2 definitely felt recorded to me.

My guess is that if the others wanted to sing live, they could. Especially Lea, Matt etc. Personally I'd love to hear Amber live.

Darren's live songs have been hit or miss with me for the most part. I thought the slow version of Teenage Dream worked better live than pre-recorded, especially with the breaking down in the middle of it.

Don't stop me now was not ideal for his voice, period, Against all odds was okay but weak.

I honestly didn't even notice the live singing in Suddenly Seymour. I didn't like the song overall, but I didn't think he sounded notably bad on it. But I was only half-listening to it.

I'm not the one who brought it up originally,  that's why I thought maybe the distinction should be made. Didn't mean to come across as flippant! In S1 we had some snippets of songs being sung live - I found that rather charming. After S1, for some reason, anyone singing as much as two notes was produced and autotuned to hell and back...at least that's my general impression.

Maybe someone can remind me, did we have stuff like the original 5 audition songs, Ride wit me, Emma's All by myseeeeelf in the car, after S1?

- Rachel's 'My Headband' and 'Only Child' were definitely sung live on the show (you can e.g. hear Finn interrupting her in 'My Headband'), and those songs were both in season 2 (2x14 and 2x16).

- Tina sang 'My Funny Valentine' live in 2x12.

- Kurt and some other ND kids also sang a chorus of  'New York, New York' live in the finale of season 2.

- Rachel's dads sang live twice in 3x13.

- When Wemma got married in 4x22 the ND kids were humming Wagner's Bridal Chorus (Here Comes the Bride), and they were also humming 'O Christmas Tree' in 'Previously Unaired Christmas' (5x08), live on the show.

(maybe I missed some, I did this from the top of my head)

Btw: 'Don't Stop Me Now' was not sung live on the show, but I agree it was a bad song choice for Darrens voice.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Love 2

How could I forget the amazing awfulness that was My Headband? True, that was definitely live.

On the other hand I deliberately blocked My Funny Valentine from my head because I'm still pissed about that on behalf of both Tina and Jenna. Would it have killed them to just let her sing the entire song as beautifully as she easily could have?

• Love 1

On the other hand I deliberately blocked My Funny Valentine from my head because I'm still pissed about that on behalf of both Tina and Jenna. Would it have killed them to just let her sing the entire song as beautifully as she easily could have?

Ah, if there's a bus coming let's throw Tina under it!

• Love 1

Rachel singing the Climb was probably live. :)

That 'performance' was epic in its awfulness.

I remember some of the cast saying how difficult it was for them to keep a straight face when Lea did that.

Which reminds me of ND's enthusiastic reactions when Mercedes sang 'And I'm Telling You' on the show: that these were basically the reactions of the cast members themselves when they first heard the song.

• Love 1

That 'performance' was epic in its awfulness.

I remember some of the cast saying how difficult it was for them to keep a straight face when Lea did that.

Which reminds me of ND's enthusiastic reactions when Mercedes sang 'And I'm Telling You' on the show: that these were basically the reactions of the cast members themselves when they first heard the song.

Yeah when the BTS videos were fun.  The stink faces to the climb were great and I Ilike in the BTS you can see Dianna covering her ears cause Amber was so loud.

There is that footage a few years back: Mercedes started riffing "Natural Woman" in the recording studio (improvised) and someone joked to an impressed Cory something like " Take it away Cory!" after Amber finished.

I saw this video and I loved this version of "Natural Woman" more than the one she did on the show. It just seems/feel more real and natural.

I always wondered if that was recorded live on set; she was so in to it, it seems like it would have been difficult to synch with a pre-recording.

That scene cracks me up because Mercedes is basically singing the paint off the walls, and in the background you see a steady stream of students strolling nonchalantly past the open door to the choir room without a second glance. IRL there would have been at least a few looky-lous hanging out in the doorway!

• Love 3

Lea sounds great.  Chord sounds like he is very much straining on some of those high notes but otherwise their voices sound decent together.  The song itself is over-produced.  

Edited by camussie

Reminds me why I have no interest in Chord's singing. He sounds to me like every average boyband singer, and he's often strained on higher notes, here too. At least he isn't shouting and Lea isn't wailing like Suddenly Seymour, but toning it down. They sound nice together, but mostly her. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Speaking of over produced, I bought Problem, from last weeks episode. I listened to it today just after listening to the original, and I couldn't tell the difference. I can't even differentiate between Naya, Heather and Dianna.

On the other hand, So Far Away, from Jenna and Dianna is one of the most beautiful song I've heard on Glee. Certainly the best since Wide Awake last season.

That clip of A Thousand Miles is the first time I've thought 'no, get back to Lea, I want more Lea' I loved her on this. I wish they'd just let her sing more instead of having her belt and shout.

• Love 1

I wish it was that too because I like it when they give Lea songs where they don't ask her to belt.  It doesn't always work ("Baby One More Time" was a mess) but it does most of the time and it gives us a chance to enjoy a different aspect of Lea's talent.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

That is why they should have given Lea a Carole King song something they wouldn't direct her to belt.

You Got a Friend would've been a lovely Lea solo.

One of my Lea favourites is Love Song. No belting, and a nice combination of her Naya and Dianna.

• Love 2

I wish it was that too because I like it when they give Lea songs where they don't ask her to belt.  It doesn't always work ("Baby One More Time" was a mess) but it does most of the time and it gives us a chance to enjoy a different aspect of Lea's talent.  

I agree and I wish they would do the same with Amber. She has a great voice, I love it but I always wished they would stop giving her songs that she has to belt on. I especially didn't like the fact that they liked to give her icon songs over and over again. It's like damn we know she has a great voice, can we move on.

I agree and I wish they would do the same with Amber. She has a great voice, I love it but I always wished they would stop giving her songs that she has to belt on. I especially didn't like the fact that they liked to give her icon songs over and over again. It's like damn we know she has a great voice, can we move on.

I loved Amber doing 'Superstition', I really wish they'd kept it with just her, or possibly had Jacob sing with her. I'm not a fan of Darren and Melissa on that song (and I'm usually fond of Melissa's voice). I love Higher Ground too.

I can't believe Matt and Lea have never had a Broadway duet. Yes, I know he plays her former teacher, but it's still ridiculous to me.

There's any number of reasons a Matt/Lea duet could've worked. In fact it may have been good in early season 3 to fit in to Mercedes dissatisfaction.

I re listened to the 6x03 songs and too bad So Far Away was cut off because it's beautifully sung. I'm not such a fan of Dianna but this was the best I've heard her for a long time, and Jenna was great.

What made an impression this time around was Billy Lewis Jr who plays the Cheerio twin. I took to his voice pretty much immediately listening now to his mash-up. After checking out a couple of videos on UT, actually I'm impressed. His voice reminds me a bit of Darren in the soft lower register, but things are very different as he powers up, this guy can really bring it. He sings rock.

I haven't checked out the girl who plays Jane and the guy who plays Roderick, but they also sounded very strong and unlike anyone else on the show, in 6x02

Edited by fakeempress

Honestly when Glee gives you 4 songs for an episode that already seems to be quite stupid (I mean even more so than usual) and Sue might end up with the best song and sounding out of the bunch well then "Houston we have a problem."

Surprisingly it seems any song Lea sings in gets released well in advance of any others. Maybe they're trying to get an advance jump on the sales, but honestly I wouldn't purchase anything from this episode.

• Love 1

Did they really have much choice this week?

Really only Let it go was released early.  They nearly always release a song  a few days before the air date.   SIng and Take on me (group number) were released early and the Brittany/Santana duet was released early as well. 

Edited by tom87

Lea sounds great on "A Thousand Miles". Chord not so much but that’s to be expected. Don’t really care about Vocal Adrenaline songs and not sure why we need two of them, especially when Will isn’t even singing on either of them. Sue’s song isn’t as terrible as it could have been. Would have loved to hear Santana sing that song at some point during the series, even if the “I’m a mother” line doesn’t fit.

• Love 2

Lea sounds great on "A Thousand Miles". Chord not so much but that’s to be expected. Don’t really care about Vocal Adrenaline songs and not sure why we need two of them, especially when Will isn’t even singing on either of them. Sue’s song isn’t as terrible as it could have been. Would have loved to hear Santana sing that song at some point during the series, even if the “I’m a mother” line doesn’t fit.

She doesn't sound bad but it's sort of lack luster. Chord voice is strained. Maybe he drained her energy or maybe it was the arrangement because it's sort of an upbeat song but was sort of just so bland to me. Again, Lea doesn't sound bad but it just didn't work for me. Out of the 4 songs this week I'm actually liking Sue's the best.

Did they really have much choice this week?

Really only Let it go was released early.  They nearly always release a song  a few days before the air date.   SIng and Take on me (group number) were released early and the Brittany/Santana duet was released early as well. 

Yeah I guess they release early which ones they think have the best chance of kicking off some Itune sales. I'm still curious how the music thus far has been doing on Itunes. For me nothing they have done thus far would have me giving up my hard earned money or playing the songs on repeat.

Yeah I guess they release early which ones they think have the best chance of kicking off some Itune sales. I'm still curious how the music thus far has been doing on Itunes. For me nothing they have done thus far would have me giving up my hard earned money or playing the songs on repeat.

They are doing on par what they did last season.   Each episode of songs is sold as a EP now so that effects the singles somewhat.  

I do not think they release them for itunes but just for promotion of the episode.   All the songs still go up on itunes at the same time.    As mentioned only Let it go was released on itunes early.

Edited by tom87

I haven't checked out the girl who plays Jane and the guy who plays Roderick, but they also sounded very strong and unlike anyone else on the show, in 6x02

I find the guy who plays Roderick reminds me of Lea a little bit. He can hit all the right notes, but there's nothing behind it.

I listened to The Commitments version of Mustang Sally and the power behind Andrew Srong voice is immense, especially considering he's just a teenager. Noah Guthrie has none of that.

This weeks song are chronic. Who let Jane Lynch murder one of my favourite songs and miss the point of it entirely.

Roderick's voice is great; I agree there was something mechanical in his performance of Mustang Sally, but I wouldn't say he murdered the song at all.

Yeah, I don't think he murdered Mustang Sally, but I agree that his performance on that song AND Father Figure is mechanical.  I mean, he's aiight, but they oversold the description of the character's abilities.  I may be misremembering, but wasn't Roderick described as a R&B singer who could sing Otis Redding songs?  'Cause he didn't even do justice to Wilson Pickett.  To me, he sounds like a folk singer (not that there's anything wrong with that). Although his voice is slightly different from Glee's typical, generic, non-threatening, boy-band-bland male voice, he doesn't have the bass, the soul, or the passion to sing old school R&B.

And no, I don't like Kevin's voice either. While I wouldn't say Kevin ever messed up any of the songs I heard him sing, his voice is way too nasal for my taste.

ETA: Now I have an irresistible urge to go to YT and listen to Terrence Trent D'Arby and Alexander O'Neal.

Edited by LydiaMoon1

Jesus, just heard Father Figure. No-one play that to George Michael, he'll crash his car in to a wall again.

If that guy is suppose to sound like Otis Redding that whirring noise will be Otis Redding spinning in his grave.

Glee have dodged this for six seasons. If they want someone who can sing soul, r&b, hip-hop, they should try hiring black men. Now, not every black male singer can sing every black song, Glee have made that mistake with Amber Riley, but they get a lot closer than Kevin McHale or Noah Guthrie. There's a reason 'I Wish' and 'Higher Ground' were the best performances during Stevie Wonder week. And that the one Janet Jackson they did is head and shoulders above anything done in Michael.*

*I know I stan pretty hard for Jacob Artist but I don't have any other examples to use here.

I kind of like when they did "Control" by Janet Jackson. Even though I think that song is kind of weirdly structured.

Just realised the show says that's a Michael Jackson song. Quinn is awesome at the start, I like Darren but not Kevin, oddly enough, it's usually the other way about.

Just realised the show says that's a Michael Jackson song. Quinn is awesome at the start, I like Darren but not Kevin, oddly enough, it's usually the other way about.

I'm not sure they called it a Michael Jackson song. I think it was just a Jackson medley (Jackson 5/Janet/Michael).

Yeah, I love Quinn at the start of that. And LOL yes her eyes and Shelby's reaction, heh. "Like, oh shit, this chick is certifiable."

• Love 1

I'm not sure they called it a Michael Jackson song. I think it was just a Jackson medley (Jackson 5/Janet/Michael).

In Michael, Blaine says they won Sectionals because they did Michael.

My favourite of that medley is ABC.

This weeks song are out on iTunes.

My Sharona is pretty good, as is You Spin Me Round. But honestly even Glee couldn't screw them up.

It Must've Been Love, Becca sounds great, that newbie sounds awful.

Father Figure is brutal. It's way to big a song for Noah Guthrie. He sounds like a little boy singing a man's song.

All Out of Love is okay. Whoever the female vocalist is, she sounds lovely. The male vocalist sounds like Blaine.

Edited by jtrattray

I wasn't wowed by any of the music, either. There's something child-like about Becca's voice that I don't like. I skipped most of Season 4, but I hated Signed, Sealed, Delivered.

I wasn't wowed by any of the music, either. There's something child-like about Becca's voice that I don't like. I skipped most of Season 4, but I hated Signed, Sealed, Delivered.

She's by some distance the best of the current glee club.

I'd agree she was the weakest of the old newbies along with Blake. But then Alex, Melissa and Jacob are better than most of the originals.