Type keyword(s) to search

Hear them sing! Songs and voices on Glee

The fact Amber never sung Ev'rytime We Say Goodbye kills me a little inside.

I also hate when mashing up songs ruins them. I freaking love "The Way You Look Tonight", but mashing it up with the Annie song turned it into a mess.

Interesting points about the Quarterback songs. I actually felt a weird obligation to have those ones (and fortunately I think they're all good). I did feel that way about Lea's original song about Cory off-show.

I think the time the context most ruined a song for me was when Lea did "The Rose". It's a beautiful song, that should not have been used for a bad audition. Uuuuuugh.

I think the time the context most ruined a song for me was when Lea did "The Rose". It's a beautiful song, that should not have been used for a bad audition. Uuuuuugh.

Not a song Lea should ever sing.

The context of Like a Prayer always takes me out of the song. Kurt and Mercedes complain about not getting solos, but they're apparently mollified by a couple of lines in a song Rachel dominates, and they've no complaints about Jesse getting a couple of lines. But the song itself is outstanding.

Oh my god, when Sue walks in and tells them to 'shutup', Jane's delivery kills me.

Yes and Rachel was so intense literally circling her prey and little Sunshine just thought it was so fun having a sing off in the restroom.

• Love 3

Like a Prayer is my favourite song ever done on Glee, but I was so disappointed at how much it was cut down in the episode, I liked the performance, but they did cut out my favourite part of the song

I love it. I just find it weird it's suppose to be the response to Rachel getting too many solos. 

I love it. I just find it weird it's suppose to be the response to Rachel getting too many solos. 

huh?

It was a song Finn put together to end the show with another Madonna number.   it really had no plot point behind it.

I would have really liked some "tribute" episodes not to a specific singer or group, but to some genres. A jazz/bluesy episode like others have said, or 50's beach music (like the Beach Boys), or a country episode. There are enough pop-ish country songs that they could have used. They did "Funk" back in season 1 and some Latin-influenced music in "The Spanish Teacher" but it was a theme they didn't use much.

• Love 1

I'm surprised that Glee pretty much (with a couple exceptions) stayed away from country.  They seemed to have realized that gap themselves by the end.  Mind you, I'm not disappointed - country is not my favorite genre!  But it so dominates American Idol and The Voice, that it was weird to not have it on Glee.  I'm also hugely surprised that there weren't more Taylor Swift songs, country or pop.  She's one of the biggest stars of this decade, and Glee did 2 songs?  And none of her top hits.

I'm surprised that Glee pretty much (with a couple exceptions) stayed away from country.  They seemed to have realized that gap themselves by the end.

I actually don't mind country too much depending on the song. And yes the show did basically themselves out about not really doing country songs when they had Sam use it as his first "whiteboard lesson". Fun fact: when Sam says they'll be doing country and Spencer yells out, that he wants to do "She Thinks My Tractors Sexy", that is actually a song that Chord's dad wrote. His father is actually a pretty big deal in the country business. He also wrote the Randy Travis hit, "Forever and Ever Amen" and "When you Say Nothing At All". 

They did "Red Solo Cup". That says most everything that needs to be said about their opinion about country music. The rest is just meta of the sort they always did that acknowledged their faults while doing nothing to fix them.

• Love 1

Just out of curiosity, I went on Spotify to see what the 10 most played Glee songs are and here are the results*:

1. Don't Stop Believin - 15,735,613

2. Defying Gravity - 8,969,257

3. Valerie - 7,274,566

4. Shake It Out - 5,544,678

5. Marry You - 5,509,096

6. I Feel Pretty/Unpretty - 5,146,355

7. If I Die Young - 2,491,839

8. Make You Feel My Love - 2,187,268

9. Teenage Dream (Acoustic) - 2,097,887

10. Seasons of Love - 1,824,078

*Spotify only has music through The Hurt Locker

I thought that was kind of interesting. Lea's and Naya's songs pretty much dominate the list. Marry You kind of surprised me being so popular. And I was surprised that TBU version of Teenage Dream was the only Darren song on the list. I figured the first Teenage Dream was a lot more popular.

• Love 1

Three of those songs are from The Quarterback so that episode and its significance has clearly affected those rankings. The figures are also going to skew towards later seasons as more and more people started using Spoitify. Big early sellers like Forget You aren't top ten. I'm not surprised by the lasting appeal of Don't Stop Believing but I am by Defying Gravity. Is that just the first one, the second one, or all versions combined?

The Defying Gravity that's on the list is the one from the first season. With Kurt and Rachel.

Also, I don't think the list is skewed toward later seasons? The top 6 on that list are all from seasons 1-3. Other than the music from The Quarterback, the only song on that list from later seasons is Teenage Dream, and that was only season 4.

Three songs are from The Quarterback and four songs have new arrangement (so are not just karaoke versions of the original, but offer a completely new interpretation), like Defying Gravity (yes, the Idina Menzel version exists too, but no idea if that's on Spotify), I feel Pretty/Unpretty, Teenage Dream (acoustic) and Shake It Out. Don't Stop Believing is pretty self-explanatory, it's THE iconic song and a really good arrangement at that.

So the only ones I find really surprising are Valerie and Marry Me.

(edited)

Valerie is perfection.

One of the things that always annoyed me is when fans of certain performers (initials Darren Criss fans) would maintain he would get a lot of songs because he sold better.  Bullshit. 

He got more songs because the Producers wanted to give them to him, which Ok, that's their perogative but not because of some 'quantifiable' reason.

Naya sold consistently the first five years of the show (even in Seasons 4/5 relative to everyone else she sold well ). In fact I think she landed more top sellers in Season 3 than anyone else and she still got sidelined for Season 4.

But I'm not bitter.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

Valerie is great, no doubt, I was just surprised because it's not super different from the original (aside from Naya singing it very, very well). So users could listen to the original Amy Winehouse song as well, which they couldn't do in the cases of the different arrangement songs I listed. That said I too prefer to listen to Naya's version, so maybe not that surprising after all.

One of the things that always annoyed me is when fans of certain performers (initials Darren Criss fans) would maintain he would get a lot of songs because he sold better.  Bullshit. 

He got more songs because the Producers wanted to give them to him, which Ok, that's their perogative but not because of some 'quantifiable' reason.

Naya sold consistently the first five years of the show (even in Seasons 4/5 relative to everyone else she sold well ). In fact I think she landed more top sellers in Season 3 than anyone else and she still got sidelined for Season 4.

But I'm not bitter.

I think it's because they miscalculated Darren's initial success and appeal. No doubt, when Blaine first appeared he was a hit. Teenage Dream was pretty huge, partly because he was a new cute guy, and partly because he was singing a huge hit with a different arrangement. But, I think once the shine wore off, Darren/Blaine really only kept up his popularity with his specific group of stans. But IMO with Lea or Naya, they appeal to more than just their stans. I think their voices (and maybe their characters) are more generally popular across the board, which is why they usually sell the best. Like, people who don't stan for Lea/Rachel or Naya/Santana still might buy some of their songs, because they have appealing-to-the-masses voices. But, I'm not sure the same could be said for Darren/Blaine. 

This is all my opinion, and maybe I'm wrong about it and am misinterpreting fandom en masse. But I just get the feeling that Lea/Rachel and Naya/Santana are better liked across the entirety of fandom, no matter which section, than Darren/Blaine is. And I would assume that at least some of those feelings in fandom translate over to how the GA feels, since it's kind of proven by song downloads, song plays, and even views on youtube videos.

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 2

That makes sense to me. Gywneth Paltrow still has the best selling solo " Forget You" in the iTunes history of Glee, and a couple of her songs in her first couple of episodes sold well, back when across the board Glee sold well. By the time she came back in " 100" the sheen was off.

In contrast Lea and Naya sold consistently throughout Glee. You can look up those stats.

When Season 4 happened and it was wall to wall Blee/Noobs and it was a wet fantasy come true for Darren stans and Chord stans and Noob lovers and the ITUNE sales dropped like a rock, all those following ITUNE sales suddenly declared it didn't matter, LOL. Of course that the best selling episodes of season 4 and 5 featured the older characters mattered not one whit.

Now in Season 6 Lea had the top sellers yet again, huge shocker.

Blaine/Darren also had the solid backup vocals of the Beelzebubs in season 2, when his first song and some other songs he sang with the Warblers became so popular.

But as soon as the Beelzebubs no longer arranged and recorded Warblers' songs, and the shine of the Warblers in general wore off (and they really overstayed their welcome imo, already halfway season 2 when their random songs would be shoehorned into episodes without having any context), Blaine/Darren's songs stopped selling so well.

(edited)

If anyone thinks it was sheer happenstance that neither Chris Colfer nor Darren Criss had a single solo as their characters for all of Season 6 I have a Golden Gate bridge you can buy for 10 dollars.

Lea, Matt, Amber, Naya, Chord, Kevin , Jenna , even the fucking creepy pervert child Myron, all got solos. ( Max George let's not go there).

Only Chris and Darren did not.

Methinks Ryan was pissed off at fandoms. ;)

Edited by caracas1914

Ya think Caracas? You mean breaking them up and then having Blaine dating Karofsky, wasn't proof enough ? But yes I found it quite strange that neither of them had one solo number while that Max guy had what, 15??

Song distributions can't be measured simply by their numbers or lengths. It's impact that matters, and that is determined in large measure by plot resonance, the manner in which the performer is highlighted and, in the case of duets, the partner. By that standard, Max had zero solos. Yes, he emitted sounds, but it was hardly of more importance than the VA acrobats or their band's drummer. Blaine and Kurt may not have had solos in S6, but they had important duets in isolated dramatic scenes with Rachel and with each other. Lea/Rachel stans complained loud and often about her lack of S4 solos, but the framing of her double at the NYADA showcase was worth ten of whatever the hell (the highly underrated) Melissa did.

"Teenage Dream" wan't just a song, it was an event. It signaled the onset of the second half of Kurt's story arc: finding love. And for the umpteenth time, DSB was, for all practical purposes. a Lea solo. Cory had four lines, and in the remainder reminded me of a comment someone once made that if Lea and Dianna ever sang a live duet, it would be like watching a doberman eat a chihuahua. (That is what Lea did to Darren in DSB at the recent Family Equality Council event.) As in all subsequent Glee group songs when no castmember's voice can be distinguished, the backing chorus was made up exclusively of the professional session vocalists. There was never even any real pretence at their live performances on Oprah or the tour that anyone else was doing anything but lip-synching, while Lea could be clearly discerned throughout.

Edited by Higgs

For the umpteenth time your opinion is not fact. While Lea sang more I consider the original version a duet and the regionals version a group song. The only version that was a Lea solo was the season 4 version and it was both the worst and most unnecessary version the show did.

I would also say Lea overpowering others in songs meant to be duets or group songs is not a sign that her talent is so much beyond anyone else that they were meek little chihuahuas to her powerful Doberman. Many a time it was a problem with the producers having her belt when it was both unnecessary and counterproductive to the song. See "The Scientist" where I feel her belting stood out unpleasantly among everyone else's softer takes on the song.

In other words loud isn't always good - something the anders brothers needed to keep in mind with Lea and Amber both.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 4
Just out of curioisity, the backing vocals in the Pilot version of DSB, was that studio singers alone or did the original 6 also contribute to them?

Weren't the Original Five and Cory all nominated for a Grammy award for Record of the Year?  So I would imagine they did the singing.

• Love 1

Weren't the Original Five and Cory all nominated for a Grammy award for Record of the Year?  So I would imagine they did the singing.

Actually it was the Regional's version that was nominated for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals  in 2011.  The orignal version would only have been eligible the year before.

Edited by tom87

'Glee' Says Goodbye on Billboard 200 Albums Chart

billboard.com

The likely last new album entry from Fox’s Glee arrives at No. 63 on the Billboard 200 dated April 4 (and No. 50 on Top Album Sales) as the EP Glee, Season Six: Dreams Come True takes a bow. Dreams Come True moved 8,000 units in the week ending March 22, according to Nielsen Music, with slightly more than 5,000 owed to traditional album sales.

It’s the best sales week for the musical-comedy series since April 12, 2014, when Glee, the Music: Celebrating 100 Episodes bowed at No. 22 on the Billboard 200, selling 13,000 copies.

http://fyeahgleeclub.tumblr.com/post/114803799426/glee-says-goodbye-on-billboard-200-albums-chart

• Love 1

What does it mean by traditional album sales? Was this EP released physically? What is also weird is that apparently its the best sales since Celebrating 100 but many other EPs between then and now charted higher than Dreams come True eh Loser Like Me and Homecoming hit the Top 20. Wowser to how little albums sell these days.

That's really a great list of song on spotify. I think Shake It Out is my all time favorite Glee song. But I'd say what sticks out about all of them was that they were all important/emotional moments on the show. 

Also, I always preferred the acoustic version of Teenage Dream. 

• Love 1

What does it mean by traditional album sales? Was this EP released physically? What is also weird is that apparently its the best sales since Celebrating 100 but many other EPs between then and now charted higher than Dreams come True eh Loser Like Me and Homecoming hit the Top 20. Wowser to how little albums sell these days.

Traditional album sales means actual sales whether digital or physical.  The Billboard 200 now counts streams as album equivalent sales.

• Love 1

An article about some of the songs in Glee: Farewell, 'Glee': The giddiest musical moments

I did not realize they actually let Adele okay the Rumour Has It/Someone Like You mash-up.  No wonder she supported it.  And holy cow, I'm even more impressed with revolving room number after reading how little time they had to prepare!

Haha the best thing about that list is ... Song request that made it in • Celine Dion's It's All Coming Back to Me, sung by Michele, Season 3/Episode 21 (Nationals) .

Truth is Lea asked to sing To love you more but Ryan gave her that Celine song instead.  She later sang the song she originally requested in season 4.  

If we go by Lea's quote in the article

'Please, put It's All Coming Back to Me in the show', and he did. It was one of the solos I had during a Nationals competition."

Lea indeed requested "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" to be put in the show.  Given that and earlier articles, my take is she requested both during the course of the show and eventually got to sing both.  

Edited by camussie

If we go by Lea's quote in the article

Lea indeed requested "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" to be put in the show.  Given that and earlier articles, my take is she requested both during the course of the show and eventually got to sing both.  

If we go by her comments at comic con in July 2012 she said she had requested To love you more and she got Its all coming back to me now.   Maybe she forgot 2 1/2 years later when she talked to USA today.  But at comic con Jenna seemed to back up that she wanted To love you more.  

Edited by tom87

Or, as I said, she requested both at some point during the show and eventually RM put both in.  That seems the most likely to me given that Lea herself said in the USA Today article she asked RM to put "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" and she said at ComiCon she asked for "To Love you More" and eventually she sang both.  

Well, she flat out said It's All Coming Back to Me was the wrong Celine song a couple years ago.  She may just not remember, but then again, she probably just gave USA today what would be a nice soundbite.  Not a big deal.  We all know the girl has a lot of favorite songs!! ;)

• Love 1

Well, she flat out said It's All Coming Back to Me was the wrong Celine song a couple years ago.  She may just not remember, but then again, she probably just gave USA today what would be a nice soundbite.  Not a big deal.  We all know the girl has a lot of favorite songs!! ;)

Thank you I didn't know once again I had said something controversial.  :)

Thank you I didn't know once again I had said something controversial.  :)

No one said you did. I was just noting in the USA today article she also flat out said she requested "It's All Coming Back to Me Now."  Given that it seems she requested both at one time or another and eventually got both in the show.  I don't know what is so controversial about noting that.

Edited by camussie