Type keyword(s) to search

Hear them sing! Songs and voices on Glee

Unless there are some vocal problems I think they would be like you sing if we want you to sing.

And even with vocal problems they let the cast sing when they want to. Darren was quite audibly suffering from vocal chords fatigue and overstretching his voice after his 3 week Broadway stint in season 3, but they still let him sing (often on multiple songs) every episode afterwards, which made his voice problems imo even worse.

The speculation that Chris himself asked for lesser songs to sing on the show because he's too busy with side-projects has popped up several times now over the last few seasons, and so far that has been debunked and proven untrue each time.

Chris is always busy with side-projects, but he hasn't missed even 1 day of shooting Glee because of them. He said he missed performing (singing) in season 4 when Kurt hardly got anything to do, and he wouldn't have given himself 3 songs in his own episode last season if he wanted to sing less (when he was also probably very busy with some re-writing and overseeing of that episode in its last preparing stages when also the songs get recorded).

Edited by Glorfindel

Didn't Chris have a book tour during early season 4 filming? Thats not to say that he asked for a reduced work load but since the cast usually don't have to work every single production day they can reasonably schedule things like that during their free time. That applies to every cast member.  

(edited)

For Season 4 Chris book tour was in the summer hiatus for about 2-3 weeks before filming commenced.

ETA: Can't remember which year but Chris scheduled book signings on the weekend once production commenced.

Edited by caracas1914

^^ It was for the Struck by Lightning book in the fall of Season 4. He did a short tour and press the last week of November, but it was practically only in NYC and then locally in LA. I think the following fall there was a fan voted venue, which became two cities, for one of the LoS books but that was because he had a gap in his calendar that they could use (at least that's what they said). 

Edited by fakeempress

^IIRC Chris had to be at a tv interview (Goodmorning America?) at about 5 or 6 AM in the morning in New York, after he and Darren filmed the iceskating rink duet 'White Christmas' till about 3 or 4 AM that same night.

(Sorry, don't remember the exact details, and I don't have time to go looking for them now.)

But, to bring it back to the subject: Chris' outside projects never interfered with his Glee commitments, and that includes his availability to sing, as he arranged everything around his Glee schedule.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Love 1

Not sure if this was posted but just before the premiere Adam Anders tweeted a count down of his own top 10 Glee songs.

1) Rumour has it/Some one like you

2) Tie of Don't stop Believin and Loser like me

3) Bohemian Rhapsody

4) One less bell to answer/ a house is not a home

5) Fix You

6) We are Young

7) Teenage Dream

8) Singing in the rain/Umbrella

9) Dog days are over

10) Vogue

Interesting list. A lot of the biggest selling tracks are on there. And I remember him saying once how hard but ultimately gratifying Bohemian Rhapsody was to produce and how the One less bell mash up was recorded in a single take by Matt and Kristin.

(edited)

I take Anders list with a grain of salt since he also has mentioned in a recent interview that his all time favorite favorite Glee number was Mercedes singing " Bridge over Troubled Waters" in the first take.

Which now doesn't appear in his new list.

Edited by caracas1914

607 songs

• I Know Where I've Been - Alex is fantastic.
  • Same Love - Alex and Matt are terrific in the end but Will's rapping strikes an odd note.
  • All About the Bass - never liked this song but Amber is good and it is nice she isn't belting
  • Time After Time - Lea sounds terrific and I am so glad the producers resisted the temptation to have her belt so kudos to them.  Chord also sounds good.  His voice is still one of the most forgettable ever on Glee but he sounds good on this.  This is the first duet of theirs that I haven't cringed because it isn't either overproduced or completely wrong for Chord's vocal range.  
Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

607 songs

I Know Where I've Been - Alex is great. (song is a bit melodramtic)
Same Love - fine  not  into the rapping part but no knock at Matt.
All About the Bass - the song is meh but Amber sound good and indifferent about Roderick.
Time After Time - Lea sounds terrific. I would have loved this as a solo.  The chorus between the two is the better than it has been  but Chord is still weak on his verses.

Somebody loves you  - is not good.

You give love a bad name -  VA again!  Do not care and I am not here for the VA guy having more  solos then Rachel and more then everyone else combined.

Edited by tom87

This weeks songs:

You Give Love A Bad Name - Meh. Reminded me of the girls doing Livin On a Prayer. This wasn't a patch on that.

All About That Bass - Amber sounds great, Roderick doesn't make me want him to shut up which is a bonus. But the song is still a vile body shaming song wrapped in body positive clothing. I hate they have Mercedes sing that, she'd never shame other women.

Somebody Loves You - who is that singing? It's not good. I hadn't heard this song before so I looked up the original. That I'll be buying.

Time After Time - Lea's not bad, not quite emotive enough for me. As for Chord, I'm glad Glee is ending because it means whoever let Chord Overstreet near the Goddess Lauper's work is losing their job.

I Know Where I've Been - Just stunning.

Same Love - Alex sounds great, and I like Matt on this too, and I know we don't know the context of the song but I don't think it's something Will should be singing. It's something doesn't sound like it's most appropriate for it to be sung by a straight man.

Mind you this is a show that took a song about the stereotypes black women face and had it sung by white men to prove how wonderful they are.

Somebody Loves You - who is that singing? It's not good. I hadn't heard this song before so I looked up the original. That I'll be buying.

Darren and Chris. Another terrible Klaine duet. 

Same Love - Alex sounds great, and I like Matt on this too, and I know we don't know the context of the song but I don't think it's something Will should be singing. It's something doesn't sound like it's most appropriate for it to be sung by a straight man.

Same Love, by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, is sung from Macklemore's perspective (a straight guy), and is about his support for gay rights.  Mary Lambert (a gay woman) sings the chorus in the original.  I remember thinking when the track came out back in 2012 that "Glee will find a way to butcher this", and well... Matt Morrison should stay away from hip-hop.  I think he's trying way too hard to mimic Macklemore, and it comes off sounding pretty lame.  I'm not quite sure what the perspective is on Unique singing the chorus either, considering they didn't change the gender pro-noun.  I would have thought Santana was the obvious choice for which character to sing that.

Darren and Chris. Another terrible Klaine duet.

How do they manage that? Chris is a great singer, Darren is a good singer. But that seems to remove everything good from their voices. And it's not the song, because that's good.

Mind you this is a show that took a song about the stereotypes black women face and had it sung by white men to prove how wonderful they are.

As Agent Dark just mentioned, the rap part of Same Love is from a straight man's perspective (there's a line in the song about the original artist thinking he was gay as a kid but his mom telling him he always loved girls) so it's fitting that Will would sing it as a straight male ally of the LGBTQ community, but Matt just doesn't sound very good rapping. At least not on this song, I feel like he did a lot better with the lighter hip hop they gave him in season 1. And with voice like Matt's it's a shame they wasted one of the few songs he sings this season on him rapping. I get it fits the plot of the episode really well but I wish they'd be a little more creative and find something that isn't so on the nose for him to sing.  

How do they manage that? Chris is a great singer, Darren is a good singer. But that seems to remove everything good from their voices. And it's not the song, because that's good.

Their voices simply don't match very well, so it usually comes down to studio tweeking and overproducing: they're systematically dialing Chris' voice softer so he doesn't oversing Darren in the harmonies, and they let Darren sing too high while giving him the lead voice in the chorus which Chris then has to top in an even higher 2nd voice.

The result is often awful.

I absolutely love 'I Know Where I've Been', am pleasantly surprised by 'TIme After Time', and can enjoy 'All About The Bass' even though I don't like the song.

What a waste of Matt's voice (rapping isn't his strongest suit) and the chance of letting him and Alex sing a duet: the harmonies at the end of 'Same Love' are so lovely.

Vocal Adrenaline really sound like soulless automatons.

Edited by Glorfindel

But Darren and Chris can sound good together - I liked Baby it's cold outside, and they've had other songs where they sang a few lines together and it sounded good, so it's not their voices. I think the arrangements tend to be off for them sometimes.

• Love 1

But Darren and Chris can sound good together - I liked Baby it's cold outside, and they've had other songs where they sang a few lines together and it sounded good, so it's not their voices. I think the arrangements tend to be off for them sometimes.

They can sound good together if they let Darren sing lower (like in 'You Make Me Feel So Young') and if they let Chris lead the chorus too every once in a while.

But Darren doesn't have enough basic low timbre and strength in his voice to carry Chris' higher voice (and they often let Chris sing that higher 2nd voice) in their harmonies.

'Baby It's Cold Outside' is imo still their best duet together, maybe because it was their first duet (before Darren was promoted more prominently over Chris as a singer), and because it was an actual (original) duet.

• Love 1

They can sound good together if they let Darren sing lower (like in 'You Make Me Feel So Young') and if they let Chris lead the chorus too every once in a while.

But Darren doesn't have enough basic low timbre and strength in his voice to carry Chris' higher voice (and they often let Chris sing that higher 2nd voice) in their harmonies.

'Baby It's Cold Outside' is imo still their best duet together, maybe because it was their first duet (before Darren was promoted more prominently over Chris as a singer), and because it was an

actual (original) duet.

See, this one reason why I'd love a Matt/Chris duet. Just imagine Matt's lower register mixed with Chris's higher register. It could be heavenly.

• Love 1

Recalling the Candles disaster, I think the bad harmonies there were due to how they used Darren's voice. Typically when they use Darren's mid or higher range he has to shout because he doesn't have the power to really sing the higher notes or glide, and it makes the harmonies so dissonant, so I think you're right as a way out they decided to just bury Chris more on the harmonies.

Edited by fakeempress

A Kevin/Naya duet was always at the top of my wishlist, and I guess I'm never getting it now that Glee is done.

Thriller/Heads Will roll is mostly Kevin & Naya.

Much as I hate duets about two people fighting over another, I would rather Kevin & Naya had a duet like that than Naya & Chord.

So many duet partners I wanted to hear. Sigh..

I always wanted a Sam/Kurt duet or actually a Quinn/Kurt duet. They sounded good together in a few lines on "Just the Way You Are" and "One of Us", respectively. I was happy to get Tina/Quinn this season. Would've loved a proper Puck/Santana number. Its a shame they mostly reused the same duet partners bc it was usually fun when they switched it up. "Lady is a Tramp" comes to mind. I love that. And while not a duet, I love the Tina/Sam/Joe pairing in "3".

I"m surprised that Mercedes never got a number with Will, I think Matt and Amber would sound wonderful in the right number.  I kinda felt bad for Matt he was paired with Jane on several duets  because she is so severely limited on her singing voice he probably had to adjust accordingly.

While Watching Will and Sue duet I often feel that they are breaking character since the two of them always look as if they are throughly enjoying them selves but they are supposed to hate each other. Matt has always gushed about working with her, I think he loved doing those duets.

There was no reason to have Jane sing, she ruined some perfectly good songs, including one of my favourites.

I wish there had been more duets/small groups combining the originals and newbies.

I wish Make 'Em Laugh had Matt and Harry singing.

I would've love a Naya/Jenna duet. They sound great together on Shake It Out.

I think what Jayma does in "Not Getting Married Today" is one of the most impressive things in the entire series.

I would agree and list it right up there with "I Am Tell You I'm Not Going."

I also do think a Naya/Jenna duet would have been nice, i think the both underused Jenna and Naya and used them in the wrong ways.

I was gonna say that I would possibly murder for one more unholy trinity song but then i remember Problem. I'm good

• Love 3

Jenna/Amber were great on "Day Days are over"  group number so I wouldn't have minded them singing a Duet.

What I would have preferred as much as what the show did in S1:  " To Sir with love" , pairing up mini duets between different characters in a group number, never understood why they didn't do it more since it would kill two birds with one stone.  If I recall there was an Amber/Cory mini duet in that number.

Speaking of which, I think Cory should have sang more duets with other people, Cory/Naya or Cory/Jenna as well as more Cory/Mark.  Was the Sheets N things set number  their only duet together? 

Edited by caracas1914

I also do think a Naya/Jenna duet would have been nice, i think the both underused Jenna and Naya and used them in the wrong ways.

I would have loved a Naya/Jenna duet too. They did sing together on Shake it Out with Amber, which was awesome and is one of my all time favorite songs from the show, but I would have loved to hear more from them.

• Love 2

I've been a Jenna/Tina fan since the beginning and I always wanting her to sing with other people. "3" and "What A Feeling" are two of my favourites.

I wish she and Mark had sang together outside of a couple of lines on "Do They Know It's Christmas". They sounded great (along with Darren and Kevin) in this performace of "Smile" for Trevor Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frn8hVmogJw

Edited by Hybridcookie

One of the reasons I loved "Pure Imagination" is that it was a mix of voices we don't usually get since it had Kurt/Tina/Finn/Artie in it.  I also thought of one other duet I wanted - Tina & Kurt.  I am very hot and cold on Chris voice but anything he and Jenna sang together it was magic. 

It's such a waste that Glee locked so many characters into duetting only with their romantic partners on the show.

All the variety of duet partners we could have gotten otherwise!

Except Pezberry, which got more duets than Brittana. And I'd guess Blam got a lot too, but I blocked that season from my memory.

And I'd guess Blam got a lot too,

That wasn't really platonic though, Blaine wanted to fuck Sam. 

However the Kurt/Elliot and Kurt/Elliot/Demi numbers fit the criteria.

Though in my head canon Kurt and Elliot wanted to fuck each other.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Even romantic pairings didn't guarantee many duets. Quick had one, Tike two, Artie has never duetted with his girlfriend (though he has two duets with Quinn), Brittana never have proper duets, even Jarley who were a big focus on have three together.

While Watching Will and Sue duet I often feel that they are breaking character since the two of them always look as if they are throughly enjoying them selves but they are supposed to

hate each other. Matt has always gushed about

working with her, I think he loved doing those

duets.

To be fair, the duets are always during the occasional moments when the characters don't hate each other. Their relationship has always been one where they're friends sometimes and enemies other times. Edited by Sara2009

Even romantic pairings didn't guarantee many duets. Quick had one, Tike two, Artie has never duetted with his girlfriend (though he has two duets with Quinn), Brittana never have proper duets, even Jarley who were a big focus on have three together.

I think Brittana have at least two, and Samcedes had one. 

I think Brittana have at least two, and Samcedes had one.

I thought Brittana had but couldn't think of any. The closest I could think of was Landslide.

I really liked the Artie/Quinn songs. Random but I did.

I love them, particularly I'm Still Standing. I love those two together.