Type keyword(s) to search

Hear them sing! Songs and voices on Glee

(edited)

I confess I don't pay much attention to breathing while people are singing.   I thought Rachel/Lea sounded fantastic in the original  DROMP and it was great  because it fit properly with the storyline to give the show emotional punch.  Ditto "Rumors/Someone like you" with Santana, "I want to hold your hand" with Kurt.  The second DROMP worked for me despite Santana not having a typical "Broadway" voice because the character seemed to be both parodying and paying homage to Rachel's version and it just seemed like something Santana would go with.

So I guess the best Glee numbers for me are the ones that have some connection to the characters and their storylines or traits, and not so much about just perfect technique.  Where I have an issue is where a number is just thrown in because it's obvious they just want character X Y or Z to sing that song randomly.   Not just Rachel, but they did that sometimes with Mercedes whose voice I like, it just gave some of those numbers less storyline sense. and that's when the accusations of Glee karokee do apply.

Group numbers could be every effective in the right SL setting, and the harmony of voices is something I always enjoyed.  "To Sir with Love",  "Somebody to love" (yes I know the background vocals  was studio singers), "How will I know", the first "Don't stop believing", "Seasons of Love",  "Bad Romance", some mashups, etc.  

Edited by caracas1914

Yes to Matt and Lea  Bway duets....

Yeah maybe he can cover up all her horrible flaws.   :)

But serioulsy I hope they rectify that this season, could be one of the few good things to come out of  season 6.

FWIW, I still think Lea is a technically great singer over all. She just has a few flaws.

I was being factious   :)

Everyone has flaws even with what they do best.

Any guesses on what the last song on Glee will be.  I personally would love it if they faded out on a scene with Will and Rachel while we hear  Cory as Finn singing "Not the End" in the background.  

It was never in an actual episode and not only would that be a way to give a nod the original three leads of the show (much like ER ended on Carter opening a clinic as a way to give a nod to him being the original lead of that show) but it also is a really great song about moving towards the future and having hope.  Even if Cory hadn't passed I think it would have been a great song to end the show on.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

It will be whatever is in the top 40  a month before they film the last episode.

Hopefully it is Rachel and Kurt reprising ( the cut from pilot)  I'm leaving on a jet plane or some song saying goodbye to Lima for good.

I hope it's not " Leaving on a Jet Plane." That was one of my favorite Will songs.

I think you are safe.

But even so I don't know how them singing it would negate it being a Will favorite. 

I mean that is what was said when others redid past songs from other characters.  

A group sing of Thank You For The Music (Abba) could be lovely, for the last song.  I wouldn't even care if it was sung directly to the camera.

Paradise by the Dashboard Light is an untouchable song for me (one of my few, actually), but I wouldn't mind a redo of Edge of Glory as everyone prepares to go off into their futures.  I loved Glee's original version, but I'm not emotionally invested in it.  

I would say the show will end with Don't Stop Believing - but if it were up to me I'd have the version from the pilot playing over a montage, rather than a 60th incarnation.

Slightly different topic but...

I miss the way songs were arranged and changed in the earlier seasons. Songs like You Keep Me Hanging On, even 'Like A Virgin' and 'Poker Face' weren't just carbon copies of the originals.Mercy and Rehab in the pilot (or second episode) were awesome. Of course some were like the originals and that was fine, but it seemed like they put more of an effort into the earlier seasons with their songs and how they were arranged. From what little I saw of the later seasons, they really could have just played the original and filmed the cast lip-synching.

Edited by SparedTurkey

I would say the show will end with Don't Stop Believing - but if it were up to me I'd have the version from the pilot playing over a montage, rather than a 60th incarnation.

Slightly different topic but...

I miss the way songs were arranged and changed in the earlier seasons. Songs like You Keep Me Hanging On, even 'Like A Virgin' and 'Poker Face' weren't just carbon copies of the originals.Mercy and Rehab in the pilot (or second episode) were awesome. Of course some were like the originals and that was fine, but it seemed like they put more of an effort into the earlier seasons with their songs and how they were arranged. From what little I saw of the later seasons, they really could have just played the original and filmed the cast lip-synching.

I agree with you, but every now and again they'll switch up some song arrangements. "Wide Awake" and "If I Were a Boy" come to mind from this past season.

Also, while I'm not trying to discredit Glee, but I think some of their "original" arrangements have often just been different existing, less well-known versions of the song (either by the original artist or another artist). Like, I think their version of "Poker Face" was an actual version Gaga did from now and then before they used it. I could be wrong though.

Edited by Craphole Island

I could be wrong though.

You're not. All their "original" arrangements were done elsewhere first or bought from a Tufts a cappella group. That's not a dig against the singers who often do wonderful things with the tasks they're given, but it is sort of sad the music people seem incapable of more than searching youtube for alternate arrangements when they even bother to stray from copying the original.

^Incapable, or simply not given enough time by the writers/producers to do their work properly?

I know the music producers of Glee mess up sometimes, and have used other people's arrangements without crediting them (although strictly speaking that's not illegal), but as someone in the music industry it amazes me how many songs they (have to) churn out each week, for years in a row.

I think I read somewhere that in the first seasons one of the Anders brothers worked in the USA on the music, and when he went to sleep his brother in Europe took over, so the songs were worked on practically 24/7 just to get them done in time.

^Incapable, or simply not given enough time by the writers/producers to do their work properly?

I know the music producers of Glee mess up sometimes, and have used other people's arrangements without crediting them (although strictly speaking that's not illegal), but as someone in the music industry it amazes me how many songs they (have to) churn out each week, for years in a row.

I think I read somewhere that in the first seasons one of the Anders brothers worked in the USA on the music, and when he went to sleep his brother in Europe took over, so the songs were worked on practically 24/7 just to get them done in time.

As far as I know they still do it but it is with  his  production partner Peer Astrom who remains  in Swedan.   His  brother Alex works directly with he cast in the studio.  

From the Spoilers thread:

So Glee is rehearsing its 700th song truly hope its better than Shout (the 500th song). I see Amber is singing as well as Kevin, Chris and Matt sure this is going to be a big group number cause I saw some newbies too. What ever the song is I know Amber will slay it and the rest of them too!

What was the 600th song? I find it strange that they celebrate some of these milestones and not others.

From the Spoilers thread:

What was the 600th song? I find it strange that they celebrate some of these milestones and not others.

I think it was "Whenever I Call You Friend" by Tina and Artie in Frenemies.

What's wrong with it?

I have a separate rant. I think Darren has a pleasant voice, but it REALLY burns me up that he's gotten to sing so many Broadway songs and Matt has only gotten to sing one.

Just one? Hasn't he done a couple of duets that were Broadway songs? Has he ever had a solo? Make Em Laugh isn't technically Broadway is it?

Also, you just remind me of Darren/Lea singing Broadway Baby. Brutal*

*apparently my word of the day.

" You're All The World To Me." It's not technically a Broadway song, though. It was actually in the episode after " I Do."

I actually forgot about " Not Getting Married," though.

Anyway, my point still stands. Broadway songs really hit that sweet spot in Matt's voice, and he hasn't gotten to sing many of them.

Edited by Sara2009

" You're All The World To Me." It's not technically a Broadway song, though. It was actually in the episode after " I Do."

I actually forgot about " Not Getting Married," though.

Anyway, my point still stands. Broadway songs really hit that sweet spot in Matt's voice, and he hasn't gotten to sing many of them.

Matt needs some old school bway stuff.    South Pacific, King and I, Music Man, Carousel, Oklahoma etc..

Edited by tom87

What's wrong with it?

I have a separate rant. I think Darren has a pleasant voice, but it REALLY burns me up that he's gotten to sing so many Broadway songs and Matt has only gotten to sing one.

I agree, it's really a shame about Matt Morrison, all the more because the show portrayed Will as having a shot at Broadway. Darren is best suited for standards, and some singer-songwriter/pop, but he's being pushed as a legitimate Broadway voice to my continued amazement, people are fantasy-casting him in everything these days. 

Matt is the best male singer on the show by far and he's been so incredibly underused. Just one song with Lea/Matt together this final season. Please?

I think he and Kevin are probably about equal(though very different), but I so agree with you about a Matt/Lea duet.

She sounds good but I miss the days on Glee when the music producers did more with the songs than have the actors simply do an exact cover of the song already out there.  Because this is really just a cover and nothing more, while I think Lea sounds good, the song itself is forgettable.  Again that is all on the music producers.  

Edited by camussie

Musically Glee just burned out also, though I have to admit seeing how "organically" SMASH tried to painfully stage musical numbers makes me appreciate how incredibly difficult it was what Glee accomplished; mounting mini musicals week after week.

What they did was incredibly difficult although I think they made it harder on themselves in season 2 and following by stuffing too many songs in each episode.  I think season 1 when it seems to me they used fewer songs that were chosen to compliment the it just plot worked better.  In later seasons I often got the impression they picked the songs first and then shaped the plot around it.  

• Love 1

"Let it go" in it's short life has had sooo many covers that I'm practically numb to that song.

Lea sounds fine, but there is nothing new or fresh to the arrangement it's  just "Let it Go" version# 5,325.

I don't think it helps either that the lyrics don't match Rachel's story at all, her journey in Season 6 certainly doesn't seem to be of someone repressed or hiding who they are, of having to "let it go".   Instead Rachel  impulsively did let go (of her Broadway dreams)  and is now paying the consequences.    So on top of that we have a random song given to Rachel just because, I realize it's not the first time (HA!) Glee does that, but  I just  wish they would have picked a better number for her big solo for the season premiere.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

It's a serviceable rendition, but it's a note for note copy of Idina's version and Lea herself isn't exactly bringing anything new to the party. And I totally agree with caracas1914 that the song fits into Rachel's storyline as well as elephant in a pair of pointe shoes. Rachel isn't stuck in Lima because she was trapped by unfair rules or expectations - she's there because she couldn't keep her ego in check and trashed her own career. They really need to start laying off having Lea mimicking Idina and Barbra all the time because she's not showing favorably in direct comparisons.

• Love 1

She holds up fine in comparison singing wise.  It is that is it just a copy of song we have heard  100's of times that is the problem. 

I am guessing we still get one more Barbra song with the way we were.

"Let it go" in it's short life has had sooo many covers that I'm practically numb to that song.

Lea sounds fine, but there is nothing new or fresh to the arrangement it's  just "Let it Go" version# 5,325.

I don't think it helps either that the lyrics don't match Rachel's story at all, her journey in Season 6 certainly doesn't seem to be of someone repressed or hiding who they are, of having to "let it go".   Instead Rachel  impulsively did let go (of her Broadway dreams)  and is now paying the consequences.    So on top of that we have a random song given to Rachel just because, I realize it's not the first time (HA!) Glee does that, but  I just  wish they would have picked a better number for her big solo for the season premiere.

they did uninvited.

Remember when the musical directors really took risks and challenged the actors and the audience with unorthodox renditions of well known songs, or having them performed by unexpected singers? We got things like  I Want To Hold Your Hand, I Feel Pretty/Unpretty,... things that didn't sound exactly like the original versions and were able to stand on their own as interpretations of the song. Now we just get predictable performances by the expected parties that don't deviate a single note from the original. Pretty indicative of everything that's been going wrong with Glee the past few seasons.

I don't think it helps either that the lyrics don't match Rachel's story at all, her journey in Season 6 certainly doesn't seem to be of someone repressed or hiding who they are, of having to "let it go".   Instead Rachel  impulsively did let go (of her Broadway dreams)  and is now paying the consequences.  

Can't it just be that she is to the point she knows she screwed up but she is just going  to push forward anyway?

It fits the Rachel we first saw who had people on her but she didn't really let them see her sweat.

So even if it was her own doing at some point  she has to let go of the old baggage to get to the next step.