Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Considering Janelle takes naps all the time, she could do with a cup or two of coffee a day. And if she is so worried about coffee, switch to a good cup of tea in the morning and be done with it!

She puts so much pressure on herself! Maybe she is grasping at trying to figure out what her issues are, thus jumping on all the kooky health bandwagons. I agree with those that said she would probably benefit from finding a good doctor to give her a complete medical workup and take it from there. I suppose for all we know, she already has, but all this "struggling" is exhausting to read about, let alone live with every day! 

• Love 6
(edited)

So Janelle is trying to get away from the taste of cauliflower, by eating "riced" cauliflower, which is the veggie diced up.  I wish her well.  And her kids even liked it? Is the cauliflower a despised item in the home?  lol   I'm fortunate in that I LOVE, LOVE, just about every veggie and fruit you can think of.  I love it raw, diced, sliced, steamed, boiled, grilled, roasted, whatever.  If you can't develop a love for them, I'm not sure what you do, if you have weight struggles. 

And even as important as the veggies, it's important to consider portion control on most things, like the proteins and carbs.  I don't restrict myself on most veggies, but, all the veggies in the world don't matter, all that much, if you're consuming too many calories overall.  I would hope that she's had medical issues checked out and figured out what she needs to do.  Obesity can be complicated, but, generally, the formula for weight loss isn't.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

According to several articles online, caffeine affects the adrenal glands by stimulating them and causing a release of "fight or flight" hormones. Not sure how much hard data there is, because these articles are either by "woo" sites or use the dreaded "some researchers have found" or "many believe that" wording, which basically means nothing.

Caffeine is a stimulant, that's one thing we know, so it does have an effect on the body. Conflicting studies about whether that is a good or bad thing, and how much (if any) caffeine we should consume only make things more confusing. 

All I know is, I love my coffee, but I don't overdo it. I have one or two cups earlier in the day (at most), and on occasion when I have a yen for one later in the day, I will go with decaf. 

I stick with two cups in the morning.  I like it strong and black.  Works for me.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Considering Janelle takes naps all the time, she could do with a cup or two of coffee a day. And if she is so worried about coffee, switch to a good cup of tea in the morning and be done with it!

I'm in the Coffee is Life camp.  She's trying to cut out everything else.  Coffee has like 5 calories a cup, she could add a little almond milk or nonfat milk (not butter!) and some Stevia along with maybe a little cocoa and voila.  When I'm dieting down for summer vacay, coffee saves my ass.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I'm in the Coffee is Life camp.  She's trying to cut out everything else.  Coffee has like 5 calories a cup, she could add a little almond milk or nonfat milk (not butter!) and some Stevia along with maybe a little cocoa and voila.  When I'm dieting down for summer vacay, coffee saves my ass.

We use half caff at our house. After 2 cups of it hot in the morning, we refrigerate what's left in the pot and then have iced coffee when we get home from our morning walk. Coffee is life. 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We use half caff at our house. After 2 cups of it hot in the morning, we refrigerate what's left in the pot and then have iced coffee when we get home from our morning walk. Coffee is life. 

I have a 12 cup Mr. Coffee from Costco.  I make half a pot, drink most of it in the morning, then use the rest in my afternoon protein shake (the protein powder is cafe latte flavor, so I do half coffee/half almond milk, and a little Splenda with a scoop of protein powder and some ice in the blender.  No kale though :)

• Love 3
On 7/1/2018 at 12:59 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

So Janelle is trying to get away from the taste of cauliflower, by eating "riced" cauliflower, which is the veggie diced up.  I wish her well.  And her kids even liked it? Is the cauliflower a despised item in the home?  lol   I'm fortunate in that I LOVE, LOVE, just about every veggie and fruit you can think of.  I love it raw, diced, sliced, steamed, boiled, grilled, roasted, whatever.  If you can't develop a love for them, I'm not sure what you do, if you have weight struggles. 

And even as important as the veggies, it's important to consider portion control on most things, like the proteins and carbs.  I don't restrict myself on most veggies, but, all the veggies in the world don't matter, all that much, if you're consuming too many calories overall.  I would hope that she's had medical issues checked out and figured out what she needs to do.  Obesity can be complicated, but, generally, the formula for weight loss isn't.  

I eat a lot of non starchy vegetables.  You can eat a lot of them and not gain weight.  I sometimes consume 2-5 pounds a day.  But agree everyone needs to be tested to see if thyroid or other hormonal or health issues could be the cause.  

• Love 1
On 7/1/2018 at 12:48 PM, Gothish520 said:

Agree.  After drinking coffee since I was about 12, I finally switched to tea.  I usually have two cups of Earl Grey in the mornings.  Sometime just one.  Have thought about doing away with caffeine altogether and just drink decaffeinated green tea.  All of the Whole foods plant based doctors recommend that you no longer consume it.  Maybe there is something to it affecting weight loss.

There are so many contradictory studies and so much anecdotal advice and so many entities pushing their stuff it's hard to know what's what.  I think some food plans work better with some people than others.  

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

But agree everyone needs to be tested to see if thyroid or other hormonal or health issues could be the cause.  

Polygamists are notorious for not wanting to see a regular doctor (case in point: Truly). They still cling to the antiquated idea that the doctor will report them as polygamists and the fambly will be torn apart and jailed blah blah blah. Or in reality they will found out for some sort of governmental fraud and reported. We have no idea if Janelle has had a good, comprehensive physical with blood work and other panels with an MD or DO, but we DO know she has wasted about 8 years on various exercise regimes, health food fads, internet articles on body parts and memberships with fly-by-night blog scams. And she looks like she weighs more than she did in the beginning and her attitude still stinks. Get a clue, Janelle.

• Love 10
(edited)
3 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I eat a lot of non starchy vegetables.  You can eat a lot of them and not gain weight.  I sometimes consume 2-5 pounds a day.  But agree everyone needs to be tested to see if thyroid or other hormonal or health issues could be the cause.  

Me too. My non-starchy veggies are the stars of my dinner plate.  It looks like huge servings, but, the calories are very reasonable. 

I wonder if Janelle still relies on exercise to manage her weight.  She used to go to gym a lot, right?  All of the weight loss doctors that I have heard say that while activity is great, it's really the calories intake that is the most important.  Regardless, of what plan you go with, that's really the key.  And even working in the gym for an hour or so, wouldn't help her lose weight if she's taking in more than she's burning up.   I've looked up how many calories you burn walking briskly for half an hour and it's less than 100 calories.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

I wonder if she is on any medication that could cause one to hold onto weight.  I am hypothyroid but managed, and that alone makes weight loss/maintenance difficult but I can do it.  But, I was on one of those estrogen suppressing drugs for breast cancer and I have what seems to be a permanent ring of fat around my middle.  Nothing I've done previously will remove it.  I eat a lot of vegetables I cook myself and I eat minimal processed food.   I don't relish starving, and I have my elderly bones to consider.  My googling around tells me most women keep the fat after being off the drug.  I know Glenn Close's sister is on some meds for bipolar and saw her interviewed and she said the meds cause a big weight gain.  So, maybe Janelle has a contribution to her journey, or being Janelle, follows every healthy meal with a bag of fritos (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)  

• Love 6

More blah, blah, blah from Janelle to fulfill her obligations to the Strive team and justify her investment of time and money, as well as those she hopes to motivate with her strategies for healthy living.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Why does that yoga mat look so gross?  Can't ya clean them?

Of course.  But that takes motivation and drive, not high on J's list of characteristics.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Why does that yoga mat look so gross?  Can't ya clean them?

Have ya ever caught a load of the soles of her feet?  Either her floors are filthy or she goes for her daily walks barefoot in mud.

This is nothing new, way back in season 1 or 2, Janelle and Kody were trying out mattresses in a furniture shop and her feet were black with grime, I think the clerk was wishing she had kept her shoes on.  After seeing that, I always look at her feet when she is barefoot...they are always dirty.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

Have ya ever caught a load of the soles of her feet?  Either her floors are filthy or she goes for her daily walks barefoot in mud.

This is nothing new, way back in season 1 or 2, Janelle and Kody were trying out mattresses in a furniture shop and her feet were black with grime, I think the clerk was wishing she had kept her shoes on.  After seeing that, I always look at her feet when she is barefoot...they are always dirty.

I remember that too.  I haven't gone barefoot since probably my 20's.  There's a reason that there are house slippers.  I get that not everyone has the time to scrub their floors weekly...but come on, how much trouble is it to slip off shoes and slide into slippers?

• Love 5

Oh gosh, I am not a fanatic but we can walk in the house barefoot or in white socks and they don't get dirty.  Might pick up a crumb or two, but, geesh, what in the world makes her feet that dirty.  I gave up the swiffer clothes, etc. because I think they spread the dirt around, as easy as they are.  She could even get down on her hands and knees to wash a floor and call it exercise.  Would probably need someone there to help her up.

• Love 4

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt here.  Given that she lives in the desert, it's possible that fine sand filters into the house and she picks it up by going barefoot at home.  Maybe no one else goes barefoot and that's why it has never been noticeable on any of the others, including kids.

If that's the case, she should adapt to her circumstance and pay attention to her feet when showering or bathing...if she can reach them.  For sure, Kody won't be washing her feet with his hair.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Oh gosh, I am not a fanatic but we can walk in the house barefoot or in white socks and they don't get dirty.  Might pick up a crumb or two, but, geesh, what in the world makes her feet that dirty.  I gave up the swiffer clothes, etc. because I think they spread the dirt around, as easy as they are.  She could even get down on her hands and knees to wash a floor and call it exercise.  Would probably need someone there to help her up.

Swiffers are great for picking up hair and dust.  She should get a rooumba.  I know a few people who have them and they set them to run twice a day.  If you have pets and children running in and out.  Floors should be swept and mopped at least once a day.  People with large families like the Browns should sweep several times a day.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Swiffers are great for picking up hair and dust.  She should get a rooumba.  I know a few people who have them and they set them to run twice a day.  If you have pets and children running in and out.  Floors should be swept and mopped at least once a day.  People with large families like the Browns should sweep several times a day.

I meant the wet swiffer things.  I have a swiffer vac and I like it a lot.  For crumbs, dust, etc.

• Love 1
(edited)

I live in Arizona. I go barefoot in my house and outside in dirt when it isn't too hot. I was also a river guide who went barefoot in sand most of the year. I NEVER have black feet. Sometimes a shade darker around the callouses but never black. Sand and regular soil don't make your feet black like Janelle's. There must be a lot of asphalt tracked into her house on the bottom of shoes or she is wearing shoes that have soft black rubber soles that wear off on her feet when she sweats (sorry for the image). Solution is to clean her house and CLEAN HER DAMN FEET.

ETA: OK, I know if your floor is grimy (not that any of my fellow snarkers would have grimy floors! :) ), your feet will turn dark. Or if you are walking barefoot on a grimy sidewalk, same thing. I'm just saying regular dirt and soil are not the culprit here. Janelle's poor hygiene and cleaning habits are. 

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Sorry, ain't no way I'm mopping once a day! Maybe if I lived in the desert - then again, maybe not. In fact, probably not. But I also never go barefoot. 

• Love 9

Not even the cleanest clean freak I know mops floors daily.  The only time I've seen feet that black is when my grandkids go to the other grandma's house.  I think her house cleaner makes sure the house is well vacuumed, but I don't know when she last actually cleaned a floor (mostly wood or faux wood).  

• Love 4

My sister is a clean freak and has 3 dogs but certainly does not mop daily.  Since I never go barefoot I have clean feet no matter what!  I remember loving it as a kid but at some point I went the other direction.  Maybe I stepped on a bee or something!

That yoga mat is awful.  My teacher would never allow that in class.

• Love 5

I moved into an apartment where they used the wet Swiffers and my feet turned black almost immediately.  It took three or four moppings with vinegar/water and just water before the dirt went down to manageable levels (and I tended to change the water several times during the mopping).  I think if you use the wet Swiffer and don't rinse, the soap just causes dirt/dust to stick.

If you don't wear outdoor shoes indoors, floors stay a LOT cleaner longer.

I can almost deal with dirty feet, but that mat gives me the heebie-jeebies.  I'd be out scrubbing it at the car wash.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Fosca said:

I moved into an apartment where they used the wet Swiffers and my feet turned black almost immediately.  It took three or four moppings with vinegar/water and just water before the dirt went down to manageable levels (and I tended to change the water several times during the mopping).  I think if you use the wet Swiffer and don't rinse, the soap just causes dirt/dust to stick.

I can almost deal with dirty feet, but that mat gives me the heebie-jeebies.  I'd be out scrubbing it at the car wash.

COME WASH MY FLOOR PLEASE! 

Also, I'd just toss the mat and get a fresh new one. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I’m a scrub the floor on my hands and knees person. Mr Clean lavender vanilla ?

Knee replacement now prevents hands and knees cleaning, but love the Vileda spin mop, I can spin it damp dry enough to even use on wood floors.  The spin process provides SOME upper body exercise.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Knee replacement now prevents hands and knees cleaning, but love the Vileda spin mop, I can spin it damp dry enough to even use on wood floors.  The spin process provides SOME upper body exercise.

I've never heard of that, but I will be checking it out.  I learn a lot from the posters here, thank you Sandy W.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I've never heard of that, but I will be checking it out.  I learn a lot from the posters here, thank you Sandy W.

You're so welcome, exword, whoever thought we would be exchanging household tips here as well as snark!

I live in Canada, but I checked and they are available at U.S. Walmart and Home Depot.  I have the early model and the spin action is by pumping up and down with the arms. The new ones have a foot pedal action to activate the spin.  Mine is still working fine after 4 years and a few replacement mop heads...best $40. I've spent in a while.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Fosca said:

I never wear shoes in my house.  In fact, I never bring shoes into my house.  Shoes come off in the garage and are stored on a shelf.  Slippers go on in the house.  I do want dirty shoes in my clean closet, either.  Just thinking what shoes walk in makes me sure they don't belong int he house.  My floors stay much cleaner.

• Love 2
On 7/4/2018 at 3:42 PM, Absolom said:

Not even the cleanest clean freak I know mops floors daily.  The only time I've seen feet that black is when my grandkids go to the other grandma's house.  I think her house cleaner makes sure the house is well vacuumed, but I don't know when she last actually cleaned a floor (mostly wood or faux wood).  

When my aunt had all her kids at home or grandkids, she would sweep and mop her kitchen floor before going to bed every night.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:48 PM, lookeyloo said:

I meant the wet swiffer things.  I have a swiffer vac and I like it a lot.  For crumbs, dust, etc.

Okay, I thought you meant one of those things you stick the little dust cloth on.  

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

O-Cedar makes your life easier......

$30. at Walmart. I don’t have one, but the fact that you wring out the mop separate from the clean side gets points!!

4A4BCDA8-DDF4-4381-B7BF-D303C59C1DE1.jpeg

That looks pretty neat!

(edited)
6 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

There are lots of good quality spin mops on the market. They're very efficient and very easy to use. Too bad Janelle doesn't have one/use one. Her level of dirty feet comes from days without showering/bathing. I live in the same desert she does and if I'm too tired for a second (or third) shower in one day I step into the shower and grab the hand sprayer and wash my legs and feet before getting on my couches or into bed. It's not hard to do!

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, neh said:

I do not cotton to housework and I walk barefoot.  My feet are still pink.Maybe Janelle has a condition.

No, it's just not mopping the floor.  I have a friend whose feet are always black on the bottom, she rarely mops the floor.   She only has to walk around an hour or so and looks like its been weeks since she clean the bottoms of her feet.

• Love 1
On 7/5/2018 at 5:24 AM, Fosca said:

It does. I have tried repeatedly explaining this to people at work and they continue to get brand name "cleaners" for the floor, then wonder why it feels tacky on their shoes (and, how on earth is it getting dirty so quickly?). 

• Love 2