Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, gunderda said:

Because really it's not about how much you actually sell.... LLR only cares how much you buy from them. That's how they figure out their 'top sellers'.  It really should be 'top buyers' 

Good.  Like I've said, I don't feel one whit sorry for Mare, if and when she gets stuck with 5 bedrooms of unsellable crap clothes.

I'm betting dear Meri will ask MORE for her extra-super-duper house, COMPLETE with the famous wet bar.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Good.  Like I've said, I don't feel one whit sorry for Mare, if and when she gets stuck with 5 bedrooms of unsellable crap clothes.

I'm betting dear Meri will ask MORE for her extra-super-duper house, COMPLETE with the famous wet bar.

Of course, she will feel her house is worth more.  It didn't have the wear and tear of 6 kids (NOT HER CHOICE as she is wont to remind everyone) as the others did.

• Love 14
On 11/2/2018 at 7:56 AM, xwordfanatik said:

WTF?  Has Meri been told what a bitch she is?

Nah.  She'd never believe that about herself.  

Oh she definitely needs that book.

The main reason she's succeeded in LLR is due to her TV status--fans will put up with almost any kind of abuse/excuse. If she'd been the way she is as a non-tv personality, she likely would have failed miserably. 

As a side observation, it's strange how fans make excuses for and defend the object of their admiration, even if that person is an asshole. 

Edited by TurtlePower
double post
  • Love 17

There is a very old book called “how to lose friends and Alienate people” which is a send up of the dale carnagie version. When we were kids my brothers and I would read it to each other and howl. Come to think of it, that’s probably what they’ve been reading til now!!

• Love 12
On 11/6/2018 at 3:13 PM, ginger90 said:

She seems to be doing everything she can to avoid being grounded in Flagstaff. I'm curious if filming will show her as being absent a good portion of the time and if that will be an issue (or a blessing) to the rest of the fam. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

She seems to be doing everything she can to avoid being grounded in Flagstaff. I'm curious if filming will show her as being absent a good portion of the time and if that will be an issue (or a blessing) to the rest of the fam. 

I've been wondering about that too. It seems like it would have to be addressed unless filming was done in a series of fairly short time spans. Because, really, with her only kid gone from home I can't see the Meri branch having much to offer and I hope Living Her Why isn't her main contribution. I've started looking forward to the new season but I won't be surprised if when Fat Tony and Moody Mykelti ruin it for me.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, suomi said:

I've been wondering about that too. It seems like it would have to be addressed unless filming was done in a series of fairly short time spans. Because, really, with her only kid gone from home I can't see the Meri branch having much to offer and I hope Living Her Why isn't her main contribution. I've started looking forward to the new season but I won't be surprised if when Fat Tony and Moody Mykelti ruin it for me.

OMG I totally forgot about them!! Again. 

I hope they dig into Meri's profound absences. Not judging--if there's not much there for her in Flag--fabulous. I just wonder why she'd even build a place for herself there at all. It'll just be a spot for her to swoop in and back out again, just to remind them she's "still there".  Maybe they'll all be happy about it and cringe when they find out she's coming in for an event. 

• Love 5

"I just wonder why she'd even build a place for herself there at all"  (sorry , I haven't learned how to isolate a portion of a comment to quote).

My take on this land purchase is that the Brown's have fallen into some type of financial windfall, possibly from the sale of Winn's ranch, I doubt that it would have been from winnings at the LV gaming tables.  My reasons for thinking that the money to purchase the land must have been from a communal fund are based on the premise that

A) The purchase price of the land totaled over $800,000 and given that raw land cannot be mortgaged in the traditional manner, they must have had a sizeable chunk of money to secure the lots.

B) Titles to the lots are linked to other members of the family, none of them are held in individual names.  This would preclude the opportunity for any one person to sell their interest without the consent of the other party on the title.

If my assumptions are correct, it may be that Meri had no choice, either take what the proposal to purchase land in Flagstaff is, or take nothing.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I just wonder why she'd even build a place for herself there at all. 

I get the feeling that if anyone else in the family is getting anything, then Meri and her 8 phantom children will be there with their hands out as well.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

"I just wonder why she'd even build a place for herself there at all"  (sorry , I haven't learned how to isolate a portion of a comment to quote).

Just highlight what you want to quote, and a little box pops up with "Quote Options."  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Sandy W said:

My take on this land purchase is that the Brown's have fallen into some type of financial windfall, possibly from the sale of Winn's ranch, I doubt that it would have been from winnings at the LV gaming tables.  My reasons for thinking that the money to purchase the land must have been from a communal fund are based on the premise that

A) The purchase price of the land totaled over $800,000 and given that raw land cannot be mortgaged in the traditional manner, they must have had a sizeable chunk of money to secure the lots.

B) Titles to the lots are linked to other members of the family, none of them are held in individual names.  This would preclude the opportunity for any one person to sell their interest without the consent of the other party on the title.

If my assumptions are correct, it may be that Meri had no choice, either take what the proposal to purchase land in Flagstaff is, or take nothing.

Nice work! Gob. Smacked. Here. Please remind me, although it sounds familiar, who is Winn? Didn't know anything about how raw land is/isn't mortgaged. (I learn something here almost every day at Previously University.) Titles linked to other family members - the Brown family and Winn's family? Or just the Browns? Did you see any reference to a Brown Family Trust? Did Fat Tony marry into money? Caleb is one thing - no windfall for Fat Tony, please. LOL, will Kody divorce Robyn and legally marry the wife who's related to Winn, to cuddle up closer to the original source of the money? Holy hell, which one felt obligated to share with the others instead of running for freedom? Tear Down This Wall. Was the land entirely a cash purchase? That's close to a million right there. If/when it's paid in full, can the land be used as collateral for construction loans? It's killing me that these clowns landed in a bed of money - I bet it's killing Meri that she's air tight tied to them financially. You're savvy about this stuff - looking back, any thoughts on how the B&B might fit into this? Because, hoo boy, that whole deal showed up outta nowhere. Do the dates on the land and the sale of the ranch correlate in any way with the dates on the B&B earnest money and purchase? Christine's mom was touted as manager then, poof, she was out and Meri's mom was in and and Meri suddenly was on the road all the time. Janelle's RE license entitles her to collect commissions but pertains only to transactions in NV, right? Is she also licensed in AZ now? How do fees and commissions fit into this? Surely they want any available commissions to go to a Brown. Hmmm. The plot thickens. And TIA for answering any of my flurry of questions and anything you are able to add to this. 

Edited by suomi
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Please remind me, although it sounds familiar, who is Winn?

Winn was Kody's dad who passed away. Had the ranch in Wyoming. Don't know if there would be a huge inheritance after splitting money between three wives and Kody/ Kody's siblings (and his dead brother's family- I am brainfarting on his name at the moment, the one who married Caleb's sister). I believe the Flagstaff land was in various combinations of the five Brown Clowns' names. It is a complete and utter mystery how they can afford over $800,000 in land as well as carrying the morts on the four Vegas houses, not to mention renting four MORE houses and all the utilities and such that go with all that. 

• Love 9

Ah, thank you. So Kody won't have to change wives because the money "belongs" to him. Lucky Robyn, what a relief. I think in most/many states an inheritance is not community property unless the parties want it to be. The mystery remains as to how/why the ownership of the property in Flag is intertwined and requires the co-owners to grant certain legal permissions to each other. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, suomi said:

Ah, thank you. So Kody won't have to change wives because the money "belongs" to him. Lucky Robyn, what a relief. I think in most/many states an inheritance is not community property unless the parties want it to be. The mystery remains as to how/why the ownership of the property in Flag is intertwined and requires the co-owners to grant certain legal permissions to each other. 

Galloway Cave explained your questions much more concisely than I could have, but to get to why the ownership is intertwined, it serves as a protection to the Brown family as a whole to not have individual titles.  I'm only surmising here, but if the money to secure the lots came from an inheritance or the Brown Family Trust (money earned from TLC), this may be considered communal funds and by having more than one of the family on each of the titles, it prevents any one of them from selling the property out from under the others.  Then there is the whole issue of whether the titles to the properties are held in Joint Tenancy or Tenants in Common and has to do with rights of survivorship.  Without seeing the deeds, there is no way to know how they have structured the titles to the properties.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Sandy W said:

it prevents any one of them from selling the property out from under the others. 

Me thinks this may be a result of someone having threatened to do exactly this with one of the Cuddle Sac homes at one point or another [cough-Meri for Lizzy Borden's Inn $$].

5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Reality tv pays well!

I wonder if Kodouche negotiated a deal with TLC that got them an up front lump sum of money that allowed them to move to Flagstaff as a storyline. It also allowed them to at least purchase the property (and I have no idea what kind of loan they have on the land either). So they can have a rehash of Living in Rentals Far Apart, Squabble Over Building Houses and Who Gets More Money to Build. Plus new storylines of Anguish Over Not Selling Vegas Houses and Missing the Adult Kids.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Galloway Cave said:

I wonder if Kodouche negotiated a deal with TLC that got them an up front lump sum of money that allowed them to move to Flagstaff as a storyline. It also allowed them to at least purchase the property (and I have no idea what kind of loan they have on the land either). So they can have a rehash of Living in Rentals Far Apart, Squabble Over Building Houses and Who Gets More Money to Build. Plus new storylines of Anguish Over Not Selling Vegas Houses and Missing the Adult Kids.

It could have been gotten with a bridge loan, although they would have to qualify to carry two mortgages at one time.  If they're renting/buying land/building, the mortgage might be lower and it might be a little easier, though.

• Love 1

They have four houses in Las Vegas which - thanks to no effort on their part - have (theoretically) appreciated in value.  Maybe they took out second mortgages on them to help pay for the land in Flagstaff.  Not too financially wise on their parts to overextend themselves to that degree, but we ARE talking about the Browns.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

They have four houses in Las Vegas which - thanks to no effort on their part - have (theoretically) appreciated in value.  Maybe they took out second mortgages on them to help pay for the land in Flagstaff.  Not too financially wise on their parts to overextend themselves to that degree, but we ARE talking about the Browns.

Yes, and if the Brown's stay true to form, they will run with their new story-line and deal with the "Why's" and "Wherefor's" but not the "How's". 

• Love 3

Well, I guess following the straight and narrow, working from age 16 (part time) and then 21 until 66 full time, saving religiously, paying my bills, and never declaring bankruptcy has definitely not paid off. 

The Brown Clowns seem to have an unlimited source of money to buy multiple properties, send the spawn to college, travel wherever and whenever, and hawk all kinds of crap.  Where did I go wrong?

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, I guess following the straight and narrow, working from age 16 (part time) and then 21 until 66 full time, saving religiously, paying my bills, and never declaring bankruptcy has definitely not paid off. 

The Brown Clowns seem to have an unlimited source of money to buy multiple properties, send the spawn to college, travel wherever and whenever, and hawk all kinds of crap.  Where did I go wrong?

You didn't go wrong at all KOHOLA, you can live proudly with dignity and the self-respect of knowing that your life has been well-lived and you carried yourself and probably contributed to society, rather than being a drain on the system.

• Love 15

So Meri's moving with them to Flagstaff...I guess Misery really does love company! (Misery is kinda my name for Meri!)

I do think she stays for the TLC money, but what I don't get is why aren't the producers exploiting a "Meri leaves the family and strikes out on her own" storyline? They wouldn't have to give Meri her own show, just follow her as she leaves Kody and does her own thing. Her sycophants would LOVE it, they are always sucking up to her by saying how she's too good for Kody (pretty much anyone is too good for Kodouche) and she should leave him....and people like me (watching for snark, don't like any of them really) would love to see Kody get dumped, even if we're not that fond of Meri.

It would at least be a NEW storyline, instead of this recycled "oh we have to move, who will get the best house, who will end up in a fight about it" garbage.

I've been re-reading a few pages from the end of last season, and one reason people bring up about Meri refusing to leave is that this is her religion, she may fear that won't get into heaven without Kody...but as I understand it, they believe the wife gets to the celestial planet because her husband calls her by her secret name.

With the way things are between Meri & Kody, why the hell would she think he's going to call her to his planet? Seems to me he's much more likely NOT to.

If her reason for not leaving really is about her faith...I would think finding a new FLDS husband who might actually like her enough to call her to his planet would be the way to go! 

I do not share their religious beliefs, but if I did, I'd be very worried that Kody likely isn't going to call me through the veil. I'd be looking to get unsealed from him and sealed to some other guy...anyone who liked me more than Kody does, which it seems to me is basically any man on the face of the Earth right now. I think he is seriously done with her and he's holding onto a lot of anger and resentment...I wouldn't trust my eternal salvation to someone like that.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

I've been re-reading a few pages from the end of last season, and one reason people bring up about Meri refusing to leave is that this is her religion, she may fear that won't get into heaven without Kody...but as I understand it, they believe the wife gets to the celestial planet because her husband calls her by her secret name.

With the way things are between Meri & Kody, why the hell would she think he's going to call her to his planet? Seems to me he's much more likely NOT to.

So much THIS!   I posed this same question a few seasons ago during the episode where she said she might just disappear (when she believed Sam was going to whisk her away).  

There is no way Kody is calling her secret name through the veil or whatever the hell they call it.   It’s so clear that their beliefs are just made up as they go along.  

• Love 10

meribrownoriginal This hand tatted table cloth was made by my great-grandmother Lizzie specifically for this round table. I love that we still have them in the family and that we were able to return them to the home they came from, and re-incorporate them into the decor!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

There is no way Kody is calling her secret name through the veil or whatever the hell they call it.  It’s so clear that their beliefs are just made up as they go along.  

Lifting the veil (that she is buried with) from her face while saying her spirit name is Mormon doctrine 101, the Browns/the AUB didn't make that up. But ITA that Meri is SOL. I think Kody keeps her around and bides his time only because tick tock, in the end ... ;-) 

• Love 3

The tatted table cover is interesting because virtually no one does that stuff by hand anymore.

The outfit reeks of reaching into the closet blindfolded.  The dress alone with the necklace would have been fine.

The snack tray - slices of processed "cheese food" with a few boxed crackers.  Yeah, says homemade comfort food to me - not.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

The tatted table cover is interesting because virtually no one does that stuff by hand anymore.

The outfit reeks of reaching into the closet blindfolded.  The dress alone with the necklace would have been fine.

The snack tray - slices of processed "cheese food" with a few boxed crackers.  Yeah, says homemade comfort food to me - not.

That belt and the lacy thingy over the dress:  why?  

Her hair looks like straw.  Seriously, "LuLa(No) Joy?"  LuLaNo for Life?  Damn, I hope that shady company goes bust sooner than that.  Ugh!

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Looks like Cracker Barrel cheese to me, which is pretty good stuff, lol. I doubt that most people make their own cheese and bake their own crackers.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I doubt that most people make their own cheese and bake their own crackers.

There are literally thousands of recipes for quick and tasty canapes that take little time and look great.  This is just mundane. 

But it certainly fits the Brown Clown Philosophy of doing as little as possible and expecting praise for it.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

There are literally thousands of recipes for quick and tasty canapes that take little time and look great.  This is just mundane. 

But it certainly fits the Brown Clown Philosophy of doing as little as possible and expecting praise for it.

OMG, canapes? So that people could jump down her throat for spending all that time and money making homemade hors d'oeuvres for her three guests a year? Come on now.

There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with putting out some store-bought cheese and crackers! 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with putting out some store-bought cheese and crackers! 

Hardly brag worthy.  Photographing it like it's some big deal?  Not a selling point to me.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, Gothish520 said:

I don't get it. What is wrong with cheese and crackers? One of my favorite snacks. 

Mine, too, but I'm not using it as an advertisement to come and spend my hard earned money in some backwater town.  Class it up already.

• Love 13
Just now, Kohola3 said:

Mine, too, but I'm not using it as an advertisement to come and spend my hard earned money in some backwater town.  Class it up already.

Ahh, ok, I got you - I wasn't really thinking in terms of snacks as part of an advertisement for the inn! I see cheese and crackers and I think "yum", but now that you mention it, that does look like a pretty basic platter to gush about on social media! 

• Love 5
On 11/10/2018 at 8:30 AM, ginger90 said:

On 11/19/2018 at 6:14 AM, ginger90 said:

I have never heard of this "Tara at Home", but I thought the baker and platter looked nice, so I just did a Google search and turns out it's one of those LuLaNo-like "consultant" companies - oy.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm with you. That is deli cheese and meat (meant for sandwiches!) and Ritz crackers. Even Food Lion carries table water crackers and Dubliner cheese. No effort at all was put into this. I would be insulted to be served this.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I'm with you. That is deli cheese and meat (meant for sandwiches!) and Ritz crackers. Even Food Lion carries table water crackers and Dubliner cheese. No effort at all was put into this. I would be insulted to be served this.

Let's face it, the Browns are not the most sophisticated of characters. Although, Mariah might be able to fix that when she goes home on break.

• Love 4