Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Beyond Redemption

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Now I really want a BroTP zipline through the night. Imagine the heart eyes Dig & OQ could make at each other on their way to wherever. Bonus points if Dig uses his gloc midair. :)

But who would hang onto who? I'm guessing Oliver would have to hug up on Digg.

I knew Rutina Wesley was appearing at some point but didn't realise it was this ep so really happy to see her. Less happy to realise it seems to be a one-off as I was under the impression it was a recurring role. 

I too, thought it was weird when she seemed like such a BAMF early in the episode but then just gave up.  Then I thought about it more and realized that meant she got to survive to fight another day and that shot of her at the end, in my mind, meant to me that we would probably see her again somehow.  (Plus that stomach churning "redemption" speech.) She's just too important of a Sci-Fi actress to have her pop in for a single episode.  

Then I thought about that and

if she is Lady Cop from the Comics then she'll probably end up assisting The Atom if/when he ever returns.

so that made perfect sense.

Otherwise, I loved/hated that even though Sarah said she didn't know who she was Laurel didn't bother to answer her question when she asked and tell her because she was so busy .... being Laurel ... 

• Love 5

I did get a good laugh out when Felicity freaked out over Lance entering the new hangout, like he has known that she works with The Arrow for the past 2 years, his daughter is on the team and he knows Oliver in GA so there isn't much to worry about it.

IDK, with the way he seems to turn on the team on a dime, I think she's right to worry about him knowing where their brand new secret hideout is. He came after Oliver last year when Laurel was working with him, so I don't think her involvement guarantees anything. 

• Love 19

IDK, with the way he seems to turn on the team on a dime, I think she's right to worry about him knowing where their brand new secret hideout is. He came after Oliver last year when Laurel was working with him, so I don't think her involvement guarantees anything. 

Honestly... He is the reason why Roy is gone. -_- #foreverbitter

• Love 9

He led a manhunt for Oliver SIX MONTHS AGO.  None of the stuff with him is okay.  The ONLY reason Oliver is not in prison is because Team Arrow finagled the evidence to send ROY to prison instead.  I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW ANY OF THIS STUFF WITH QUENTIN IS OKAY.  And yeah, giving the cop who led a MANHUNT FOR YOUR MAIN GUY SIX MONTHS AGO easy access to EVIDENCE to put him away, which was the only thing he didn't have when he LED A MANHUNT FOR YOUR MAIN GUY SIX MONTHS AGO, was unbearable levels of dumb.  The only good thing is that I'm pretty comfortable that Quentin will be dead before he can turn on them again.

Oh, and he gave Oliver a hard time about leaving?  Hey, ASSHOLE, he left, largely, because YOU LED A MANHUNT FOR THE ARROW SIX MONTHS AGO.  How exactly was he supposed to go right back to vigilante-ing after that?  I mean, what the HELL?!?

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 22

I too, thought it was weird when she seemed like such a BAMF early in the episode but then just gave up.  Then I thought about it more and realized that meant she got to survive to fight another day and that shot of her at the end, in my mind, meant to me that we would probably see her again somehow.  (Plus that stomach churning "redemption" speech.) She's just too important of a Sci-Fi actress to have her pop in for a single episode.  

Then I thought about that and

if she is Lady Cop from the Comics then she'll probably end up assisting The Atom if/when he ever returns.

so that made perfect sense.

Otherwise, I loved/hated that even though Sarah said she didn't know who she was Laurel didn't bother to answer her question when she asked and tell her because she was so busy .... being Laurel ... 

I would have thought Jeri Ryan would have been around for more than one episode as well - however, like you said, both characters are alive and can show up again.  I did spend the whole episode waiting for her to fang out though. :)

• Love 4
Now I really want a BroTP zipline through the night.

It'll have to be Diggle holding Oliver though. 

As for Oliver's staff...he's unopposed but those interns etc could help actually get a platform on...basically all the issues. Dude's clueless right now.

• Love 2

I guess that is true. 

Ok but since Quentin is giving them evidence to run - maybe Oliver feels like they have a cold war thing going on with the prospect of mutual annihilation being what keeps them all safe.

But actually - if we assume that all the crimes of the Arrow went down with Roy's fake death - how many laws have any of these new vigilantes broken?  I mean, no murder right? maybe the occasional case of assault, but I suppose that could be argued away as self defense.  I guess there is interfering with a police investigation/obstruction of justice type charges.  And Felicity's hacking definitely breaks some laws.  But at this point, I don't know if Quentin could even go after them with the same kind of charges he could last season.

I was distracted a lot during this episode so someone help me here - did Oliver show Quentin into the lair after they knew he was meeting with Darhk?  Because I gotta say, that would make it a whole lot dumber.  They might trust him and all, but if DD ever wants to go torture happy on Quentin, I don't know if he can hold up. 

Ok but since Quentin is giving them evidence to run - maybe Oliver feels like they have a cold war thing going on with the prospect of mutual annihilation being what keeps them all safe.

But actually - if we assume that all the crimes of the Arrow went down with Roy's fake death - how many laws have any of these new vigilantes broken?  I mean, no murder right? maybe the occasional case of assault, but I suppose that could be argued away as self defense.  I guess there is interfering with a police investigation/obstruction of justice type charges.  And Felicity's hacking definitely breaks some laws.  But at this point, I don't know if Quentin could even go after them with the same kind of charges he could last season.

I was distracted a lot during this episode so someone help me here - did Oliver show Quentin into the lair after they knew he was meeting with Darhk?  Because I gotta say, that would make it a whole lot dumber.  They might trust him and all, but if DD ever wants to go torture happy on Quentin, I don't know if he can hold up. 

Oh, I'm pretty sure that his voice was from after the shrinkage.

Sorry my mind went to a dirty place. And I'm a shamed a slightly juvenile place.... Look you don't understand it was just the shrinkage!! And the voice changing along with it, priceless

This is Ray we're talking about.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had.  (Although admittedly I was surprised that FELICITY went bragging to heroing colleagues about how good he gave it to her, wink wink, #NEVERFORGIVE.)

Perhaps in light of the shrinkage.... there was maybe a little verbal overcompensation. Perhaps its not the first time. ;)

• Love 5

LANCE is the reason? Not Roy himself turning himself in, or Felicity and Diggle helping him fake his own death? 

Can't agree at all.

If Lance didn't start up that manhunt, Roy wouldn't have gone to prison, and he wouldn't have had to have been stabbed, and he wouldn't have had to flea Starling. This all happened because Lance was bitter at Oliver about Sara. And Laurel lying to Lance about Sara's death didn't make it any easier.  I stand by my statement.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 22

Giving a man who has come after you for vigilantism access to your secret crimefighting lair is stupid regardless of what that relationship is like at the moment. Quentin called off the anti-vigilante task force at the beginning of S3, and was raiding the foundry at the end. No matter how favorable he's being now, he can't be trusted. He showed Quentin the lair before he realized that he was working with Darhk, and I hope Oliver felt his stomach fall down to his feet when he realized he let a guy working with a mass murderer into a place he'd just built for everyone to be safe. Because seriously, so stupid. 

• Love 12

If Lance didn't start up that manhunt, Roy wouldn't have gone to prison, and he wouldn't have had to have been stabbed, and he wouldn't have had to flea Starling. This all happened because Lance was bitter at Oliver about Sara. And Laurel lying to Lance about Sara's death didn't make it any easier.  I stand by my statement.

And it wouldn't have happened if Ra's hadn't made it look like Arrow killed the mayor or if Oliver had simply handed Malcolm over to Nyssa.

Giving a man who has come after you for vigilantism access to your secret crimefighting lair is stupid regardless of what that relationship is like at the moment. Quentin called off the anti-vigilante task force at the beginning of S3, and was raiding the foundry at the end. No matter how favorable he's being now, he can't be trusted. He showed Quentin the lair before he realized that he was working with Darhk, and I hope Oliver felt his stomach fall down to his feet when he realized he let a guy working with a mass murderer into a place he'd just built for everyone to be safe. Because seriously, so stupid. 

Well I agree that it was dumb but I was really trying to come up with reasons why Oliver might not fear it. Then I couldn't get around the possibility that even if Quentin is trust worthy - how much can he hold up if Darkh uses magic on him? 

I suspect Lance knowing isn't going to matter because he ends up in that grave but it's still dumb.  Oh yea and 10 to 1 odds we see Malcolm and Nyssa in the lair sometime this season.

But who would hang onto who? I'm guessing Oliver would have to hug up on Digg.

I envision Dig holding onto OQ. Dig's arms can hold onto anything. Obliviously OQ needs to be the zipliner considering the bow & arrow. And OQ is probably that strong. PLUS if the MOOON is backing them up I can't see how they go wrong :)

Now I just really really want it. There are so many things that are illogical & laughs at basic physics on this show. Why not have Dig & OQ zipline?

• Love 3

And it wouldn't have happened if Ra's hadn't made it look like Arrow killed the mayor or if Oliver had simply handed Malcolm over to Nyssa.

And Quentin wouldn't have thought Oliver was the one killing those people if he hadn't lost trust in the guy after finding out that he kept Laurel's idiotic Sara's dead secret. 

• Love 4

Quentin was an accessory to the Arrow's crimes since S1, when Oliver was still the Hood.  IRL, Quentin would have been just as screwed as Oliver, but yeah, in-show there was no effect.

And Quentin knew very well that OLIVER wasn't killing those people, especially since Felicity was targeted.  Because Quentin knows very well that Oliver/Arrow would never try to kill Felicity, Plus, geez, RAG actually met with Quentin, and there were multiple fake Arrows.  If Quentin really thought Oliver did that he is dumber than toe fungus.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 4

And Quentin wouldn't have thought Oliver was the one killing those people if he hadn't lost trust in the guy after finding out that he kept Laurel's idiotic Sara's dead secret. 

And Laurel wouldn't have needed to keep a secret if Merlyn hadn't mind-raped Thea into killing Sara to begin with!  See?  We are back to it being all Merlyn's fault!!!!  :)

• Love 4

Well, yes, since it was Malcolm who sank the Gambit and caused Oliver to wash up on Fantasy Island in the first place, damn near every bad thing happening in SC in the last five years has technically been Malcolm's fault. 

• Love 16

Well, yes, since it was Malcolm who sank the Gambit and caused Oliver to wash up on Fantasy Island in the first place, damn near every bad thing happening in SC in the last five years has technically been Malcolm's fault. 

Which is why sadly, I do not see MM's character going anywhere until SA wants off the show.  Even if JB wants off the show, they will write his character off in a way they can bring him back. He is the series's arch-villain/nemesis/uber-frenemy. IDK why they are trying to sugar coat him now, but he will be back in his crazy adversarial role in the final season. I just hope they do not pretzel too much to make his character relevant. Other shows have managed to keep the integrity of the show & its characters without compromising things to make a series long villain work.. Sloan from Alias is my favorite example. Even when they tried to sugar coat him, there were still members on the team that called him out and blatantly did not trust him even if they had to work with him. We need more of that on Arrow if MM Is to stick around.

• Love 3

Which is what I've been saying ALL ALONG! LOL

• Love 1

But at this point, I don't know if Quentin could even go after them with the same kind of charges he could last season...

Problematic if Laurel is the last surviving District Attorney...Her boss was poisoned by Darhk and nobody else is visible.

• Love 1

And Laurel wouldn't have needed to keep a secret if Merlyn hadn't mind-raped Thea into killing Sara to begin with!  See?  We are back to it being all Merlyn's fault!!!!  :)

I agree that eventually it's all MM's fault, but, in this case, Laurel decided to keep Sara's death a secret long before she had any idea of Thea's involvement. Actually, she found out about it after she finally told her father, IIRC.

Oh and shallow but I really *really* want Felicity's shoes that she wears with the black and white stripe Sandro dress. Not identified on any of the Arrow fashion sites yet and will probably turn out to be either prohibitively expensive or sold out when they are but WANT.

They've been made.

How did Laurel and Thea get Zombie Sarah back to the states?   Did they fly coach?

I actually had more problems buying them getting to Nanda Parbat with the body, but I'm cool with just pretending that the League has an (or a few) evil private airplanes, that they use to do all their assassin jobs or whatever the hell the League actually does. Especially since Malcolm is now so desperate to get Thea to like him again, she probably could have just demand on for herself, and he'd have given it to her.

Which, normally I would say that is spoiling your child, but when just drugged her and made her murder a friend a few months ago, really, a plane it the very least you could do.

• Love 2

I've seen a lot of people commenting about why Laurel has kept Sara in the same clothes she was buried in. While I'm sure most of it is simply because Laurel hasn't bothered to think about Sara's needs enough to bother, a more in-universe explanation would probably be you go near the crazy woman who'd just as soon rip you to shreds as look at you and try to take off her clothes.

The show runners obviously love John Barrowman and will keep Malcolm around, but I think putting him in charge of the LoA is the perfect way. It keeps him out of SC for the most part, but available for the others to visit whenever they need help from the Evil Overlord. 

Speaking of Nanda Parbat, I have nothing to base this on but I figured either Thea just got hold of Malcolm and asked him to send a plane (or a boat, or a magic carpet or whatever the hell they use). That way they don't have to deal with customs, or...you know, any sort of authorities who might inconveniently ask what they are doing lugging a coffin around.

If Large animals can be tranquilized than feral Sara could be as well. Plus there were a bunch of disposable league of assassins who could have held Sara down to dress her. So Laurel(and the show)'s not off the hook.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 6

I've seen a lot of people commenting about why Laurel has kept Sara in the same clothes she was buried in. While I'm sure most of it is simply because Laurel hasn't bothered to think about Sara's needs enough to bother, a more in-universe explanation would probably be you go near the crazy woman who'd just as soon rip you to shreds as look at you and try to take off her clothes.

The show runners obviously love John Barrowman and will keep Malcolm around, but I think putting him in charge of the LoA is the perfect way. It keeps him out of SC for the most part, but available for the others to visit whenever they need help from the Evil Overlord. 

Speaking of Nanda Parbat, I have nothing to base this on but I figured either Thea just got hold of Malcolm and asked him to send a plane (or a boat, or a magic carpet or whatever the hell they use). That way they don't have to deal with customs, or...you know, any sort of authorities who might inconveniently ask what they are doing lugging a coffin around.

The first thing Malcolm did after they resurrected Sara was to knock her out with some kind of drug.  Perfect time to change her out of the clothes her DEAD BODY WAS ROTTING IN (emphasis not directed at you) for a WHOLE YEAR.  The clothes wouldn't just be smelly, they would be putrid and rotting and covered with all the fluids (and bugs and bug larvae) that go along with unembalmed rotting human bodies.

Malcolm didn't send a plane.  When they showed up in NP he was surprised.  Plus, why would he send a plane for Sara's dead body when he wasn't going to let them resurrect her?  

• Love 8

I work with people who are crazy & violent from time to time, so I can honestly admit I have left them in clothes that are less than savory. But @aychihuhua mentioned, there was a time when SL was tranquilized and a change of clothes could have happened. Now if the LP is also a magic dry cleaner, than the least the show could have done is let us know that and I could have given LL a pass on it as well. A quick joke line about how at least one of the better side effects of the pit is its amzing job on odors & stains.

That all being said, even if they were never able to actually change the clothes for legitimate reasons, there are ways they could have at least covered her up in the dank & cold basement. Have they not heard of Snuggies or blankets? There are ways to cover people even if they are chained to the basement walls. If you can get close enough to show pics & be strangled, you are close enough to throw a makeshift robe over someone.

• Love 4

Yeah I saw. They don't ship to the UK though - which is probably just as well...

Good God. I love fashion and nice clothes. But I would never spend that much on a pair of shoes. Good thing Felicity has CEO money now.

It's even more sad that we see from the previews next week that Sara has a jacket. Which means she went and got one herself. No wonder she left, no one answers her questions or gets her a jacket. Even crazy Sara knows if you want something done, do it yourself. 

• Love 9

I understand Laurel not changing her clothes now, but Sara had to have been super rank from decomposing in them, so why they didn't change her after Malcolm sedated her, I have no idea. And why they didn't bring home some of that powder or whatever that they used to sedate her, I also don't understand.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 5

So in reading JBuffyAngel's review with all the gifs, it got me thinking about how awkward the big announcement scene was with FS keeping her left hand on her shoulder. I really wish she had kept her bag on her shoulder or given some other reason why her hand lingered there. It was just awkward.

I do think most of the show for as boring as it was, was beautifully shot and well-acted (minus the usual exceptions) but that scene just was a little too forced. I usually love EBR's acting choices, but I thought that scene was made awkward by her hand and then some of her reactions to the whole RP stuff were a little over the top for me. And I know I am the minority, but I wasn't a huge fan of the chair, slippery floor bit. Its almost like she was trying to hard to make FS overly clumsy or emotional. Part of me wonders if a lot of it happens because the scenes were overshot. Perhaps the floor thing happened, but it wasn't captured on tape - so they had to do it again and it lost that authentic quirkiness to me. I also think EBR was more invested in RP than I was, so I read her reaction to the events unfolding as more her take on what the character would do which was not what I would imagine the character would do. It wasn't OOC or anything I'm worried about long-term, but just a little difference on interpretation which is perfectly fine.

I also wonder if EBR is just not a good onscreen crier. Perhaps her scenes strike a chord with people for good or for bad because the crying is just not appealing or too raw. All of her crying throughout the series has fit in perfectly with the story and her character, but I have really only enjoyed a small percentage of her crying scenes. And the only common denominator is that its the same actress performing the same task. Some people can cry onscreen, but for me EBR does not seem like one of those naturally gifted screen criers. I love EBR & I enjoy like 98% of her acting choices, I just think I might not enjoy her choices of how she cries onscreen.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

Was Malcolm surprised to see them? Or was he just wondering why they were there? Or at least why they had a coffin with them. I know him sending a plane doesn't make sense if he was also surprised to see them but I was just trying for what seemed like the easiest explanation. If it wasn't a LoA craft of some sort would they really let it make it to Nanda Parbat? Or is the League really THAT incompetent? Wait...

Maybe the pit DOES rejuvenate clothes too. I'd prefer that explanation over nobody bothered to change her when they had the chance.

Edited by KirkB

I can fanwank it that Malcolm left Thea instructions as to how to get to NP if needed, so she just used his plane, or whatever place/people Malcolm paid off to charter folks to the Hindu Kush on the down-low.

But I assume Sara was sedated, either on the entire the trip back to SC, or at the end of it, because Laurel and Thea had to get her off the plane, into a car to Laurel's place, down to the basement, and chained to the pillar. There's no way any of that happened with Sara awake.

So yeah, they could have changed her clothes.

• Love 6

http://marciano.guess.eu/en/Catalog/View/women/accessories/shoes/bobbie-leather-shoe/FL4BOBLEA08

Free shipping to the UK.

Guess have a store in London according to their website- you could probably find it there, or in any department store that carries Marciano by Guess.

Oh, and you're welcome :-P

Wrong colour, I'm afraid. They don't seem to sell the nude version here (plus they're even *more* expensive). Thank you though :)

I suspect the reason Laurel and no one else has changed Sara's cloths is because they are going to make some really big deal about her new cloths when she does change outfits.

Edited by nksarmi

Was Malcolm surprised to see them? Or was he just wondering why they were there? Or at least why they had a coffin with them. I know him sending a plane doesn't make sense if he was also surprised to see them but I was just trying for what seemed like the easiest explanation. If it wasn't a LoA craft of some sort would they really let it make it to Nanda Parbat? Or is the League really THAT incompetent? Wait...

I guess I would say in-show there were indicators Malcolm had no idea they were coming, and there were no indicators that he did know they were coming, or that he in any way sent them a plane, etc.  Additionally, while the LOA are supposed to be cool (they turned out to be ridiculous, instead of fake-joining them Oliver should have just bombed them back to the Stone Age, oh wait, they never left), it's not as if they have anti-aircraft guns.  I mostly just stopped caring about the NP-travel stuff, because I don't care about NP/the LOA/Malcolm and wish everything about them (except Nyssa, probably) would die and never return to the show, but if I had to fanwank, I'd say Thea chartered a plane to take them within 50 or so miles (she still has Malcolm's money as far as we know), and then hired a Jeep to transport them and Sara in her coffin the rest of the way.  The LOA guy announced them, so at least the LOA are still competent enough to see and stop strangers' approaches and ask MM whether the strangers and the corpse can enter NP.  

Wrong colour, I'm afraid. They don't seem to sell the nude version here (plus they're even *more* expensive). Thank you though :)

There are companies that ship items from the US to other countries, but I don't know how much they will charge you for the shipping. I do wonder why it is so much more expensive.. when you convert the Pounds amount to Dollars it comes to over $340 -which is insane!! Is the import and shoe/clothing tax rate in the UK that high?

Edited by foreverevolving