Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I'm gonna try to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they actually mean "Or can I be a vigillante like my sister?", which would be in -keeping with some of the comic book canon. Post-Crisis Dinah originally wanted to become a cop like her dad, but was turned down by the force. After her father died from a heart-attack, she chose to become a vigillante to honor his memory in a different way. And comic book Dinah Laurel Lance had so much admiritation for her mother and her mother's JSA friends that she wanted to become a costumed superhero just like her mother before her (to her mother's chagrin). Now, one can argue whether this type of origin story still fits modern times. Personally, I would have much rather seen a more individual hero's journey but maybe that's just me...

You make a very good point. Comic Dinah Laurel didn't exactly come up with an original idea in being the next Black Canary. But part of the problem is that in a show where people are originating their comic counterparts, she's going to be the one standing out as latching onto another identity - the 2.0 version suffering by comparison unless they really bring it with her story.

The other difference (and to me a major difference) is that Laurel is far more highly educated than either Dinah Drake or Dinah Lance were in comics, unless I'm forgetting something. She never wanted to be a cop like Quentin as far as we know. It seems to me that she combined her father's sense of justice with her mother's more bookish path because that fit her nature. Her law career was so important to her that she did some questionable things in pursuit of it (prosecuting Moira, blackmail.) Working for the DA is a big job and a very important one. When you consider that not every person has to out on a costume to be a hero (like Felicity) why does she need to follow her sister's path to heroism? Right now I'm only coming up with 'because comics' but that's not a great reason. Because of the way they've dealt with the other hero journeys in a more individualistic manner, I think making Laurel's comic book path too much about Sara is a mistake. Unfortunately, what Marc G said in that IGN interview backs up this idea of Laurel's identity crisis. IIRC he said a scene between Sara and Laurel sets Laurel down her path for the season. It all keeps coming back to Sara and I don't see how Laurel will come out of that comparison the better. Maybe Sara is nothing like comic Dinah but then neither is Laurel, so in the Arrow world Sara is the one who fits better and Laurel's story is the one that ends up suffering. I hope this plays out better than it sounds but based on the last two seasons of terrible Laurel story, I have my doubts.

• Love 9
(edited)

The big problem (for me) is were talking 2 very different scenarios, in both Dinah Drake and Dinah Lance's story they were influenced at a young age to follow in their parent's footsteps.  In Drake's case she wanted to be a cop like her father but couldn't because of sexism so she turned to vigilantism as a way to fulfill her law enforcement dreams after the system blocked her.  With Dinah Lance she wanted to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a hero and struck out at a young age (I think it was 18) to seek out training after her mother blocked her attempt to become a caped hero.

With Laurel, we're talking about a 30 year old woman who found out 6-7 months ago that her sister is a vigilante/hero and now all of a sudden she's struggling to determine if she should be Lawyer Laurel or Vigilante Sara?  She's had no rejections from the system, that would force her down that path.  Instead she's basically been given a plum job in the DA's office and is now working with Oliver to prosecute the criminals that Arrow catches,  This means there's no real being blocked/frustrated/let down by the system forcing her to turn to vigilantism to see justice down.  She's already got a vigilante/hero working with/for her...

At this point in time Laurel has no real impetus to become a hero/vigilante other than Comics and well my sister's awesome and this could have been my life if I was on the Gambit with Oliver instead of Sara.  To me neither of those are good reasons for Laurel to have an identity crisis, not to mention one that would lead her to put on her sister's wig, outfit, and call herself by her sister's LoA name (in any version)  In the first case it's just a BS/Lazy reason....in the second it's actually something quite unhealthy/psycho and bordering on a villain's origin story.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 9

I agree, her age is also very significant. Why would a 30 year old career woman suddenly alter her path so significantly? I understand why Diggle, Roy, Sara, and Oliver are doing what they're doing. Felicity is a bit more of a mystery, but I have a feeling we'll understand a lot more about her and why she helped Oliver and Diggle when we get to her backstory. Nobody that good at hacking is completely squeaky clean IMO. But nothing in Laurel's flashbacks, comics 1.5, or present day story really points to why she would want to put on a costume and risk her life. Her backstory has been used to explain why she wanted to be a lawyer and we can assume she was always ambitious. I mean, not even Diggle wears a costume, so why would Laurel? If she's making the law work to take out the bad guys, shouldn't that be her focus? I think this is just where the show messed up and failed to give her proper motivation, and now they're going to use Sara as her inspiration somehow.

• Love 7

I don't think Laurel would've survived what Sara did if it was her on the Gambit. Sara seemed to always be more easy going and the go with the flow type of person. Being with Ivo that type of personality turned into do whatever is necessary to stay alive. I couldn't see Laurel who studied Law, being able to follow orders or go along with experimenting on other people and she couldn't be blackmailing Ivo, he probably would've thrown her overboard the first chance he got. 

Even though Sara was lying to her dad while she was on the Gambit, they had her mention Chem Lab, making me think Sara had a little bit of science background which would've helped her with Ivo keeping her around. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

One important thing to consider is that at the start of Season 3, Thea would most probably kick Laurel's ass, now that she has trained continuously with Malcom. Also, Thea is very young so she is ahead on the learning curve. And Laurel is supposed to be at par with Oliver when she cannot better his sidekick(which I think Thea will eventually become).

Edited by abhi
  • Love 1

I also don't see how taking boxing lessons is going to make Laurel a master martial artist. She's also not really going to have that much time to train with having a full time job that requires a lot of overtime. 

The sad thing is that they already had opportunity for a good motive built into the character. But they came up with the most bizarre way to get there much like Slade. They keep making things that are simple complicated. Working with the disenfranchised, seeing their struggle gives a desire to protect people. If she stops working at CNRI have her work for the public defender's office. Not rocket science. But, I'm a simple person so. With Slade he told us about his trust issues because of Billy. Set up a situation where Oliver does something similar or appears to. Simple built in motivation.

• Love 4

I don't think thy can reasonably make Laurel a master martial artist at this point. We've seen that she has some basic self defense skills. So do I, so that part doesn't impress me that much when compared to Sara and Oliver. Just from what we've seen onscreen, she looks like she's taken the same classes my dad signed me up for in my teens and that I continued in my twenties. I've seen some people argue that if Roy can put on a costume that it shouldn't be a big deal if Laurel does as well. To me it's not the same though. Roy is a sidekick in comics and on the show. They showed he has some moves back in S1 but no one's pretending he's better than the others. Sara and Oliver seem to be pretty equal, Diggle comes behind them, followed by Roy. Thea will likely be better than Roy if she's spent all these months training with Malcolm full time. At the least she and Roy will probably be on equal footing. A half year training League style would have to be worth more than a year of regular training.

Black Canary is not supposed to be anyone's sidekick. Honestly, I don't really want to see a Black Canary who is so far behind everyone else in training. I mean, she'll come out ahead of Felicity, but that's about it. Where's the fun in including Black Canary if she's a sidekick with beginner fight training? That is definitely not the Black Canary I thought I was going to see when I started watching Arrow. And with Laurel having a full time job plus whatever else she's involved in, I don't see how she'll surpass the others who have a head star and are probably devoting more time to it. And then there's her age again. She's very late in the game compared to the others. I don't know. I don't hate Laurel, but this is not the origin story I really wanted to see. They should have set some of this up a long time ago if they wanted her transition to be believable.

• Love 3

I agree, her age is also very significant. Why would a 30 year old career woman suddenly alter her path so significantly? I understand why Diggle, Roy, Sara, and Oliver are doing what they're doing. Felicity is a bit more of a mystery, but I have a feeling we'll understand a lot more about her and why she helped Oliver and Diggle when we get to her backstory. Nobody that good at hacking is completely squeaky clean IMO. But nothing in Laurel's flashbacks, comics 1.5, or present day story really points to why she would want to put on a costume and risk her life. Her backstory has been used to explain why she wanted to be a lawyer and we can assume she was always ambitious. I mean, not even Diggle wears a costume, so why would Laurel? If she's making the law work to take out the bad guys, shouldn't that be her focus? I think this is just where the show messed up and failed to give her proper motivation, and now they're going to use Sara as her inspiration somehow.

ITA with your post. I just wanted to add that I think it's clear why Felicity is doing what she's doing. Like she told Oliver when she signed up for Team Arrow, her goal was to find Walter. But, while they were in the process of doing that, she got to see the impact Oliver was having. Like she later told him, she saw that every time someone tried to hurt Starling City, Oliver was there to stop them. Having seen that, I don't think she could have walked away from Team Arrow after Walter was found. Knowing she has specific skills Oliver needs to help keep the city safe is more than sufficient motivation in her mind. 

In the same way, this season Laurel will be doing her part by putting the bad guys in prison and making sure they can't continue to cause trouble. It really makes no sense to me why she thinks that not enough, why she thinks she needs to suit up and literally fight crime to be useful. And until the writers explain that, her character is going to continue to be the huge fail she's been for the past two seasons.

• Love 6

In the same way, this season Laurel will be doing her part by putting the bad guys in prison and making sure they can't continue to cause trouble. It really makes no sense to me why she thinks that not enough, why she thinks she needs to suit up and literally fight crime to be useful. And until the writers explain that, her character is going to continue to be the huge fail she's been for the past two seasons.

That's the big problem we know why Felicity does what she does and we know based on current storyline that Felicity really has no motivation to dress up in a costume and go kickass. She helps Arrow in her own way, same as Lance helped the Arrow in his own way.

There's no real motivation for Felicity, Lance or Laurel (at this point) to become a Vigilante and run around beating people up. IMO, if the only reason is that Sara dies then it boils down to comics...which is lazy writing

• Love 2

ITA with your post. I just wanted to add that I think it's clear why Felicity is doing what she's doing. Like she told Oliver when she signed up for Team Arrow, her goal was to find Walter. But, while they were in the process of doing that, she got to see the impact Oliver was having. Like she later told him, she saw that every time someone tried to hurt Starling City, Oliver was there to stop them. Having seen that, I don't think she could have walked away from Team Arrow after Walter was found. Knowing she has specific skills Oliver needs to help keep the city safe is more than sufficient motivation in her mind.

Yes, I get why Felicity joined the team. I think they've shown us her motivations well enough. The mystery (for me anyway) is more that she took the news of Oliver being the vigilante so calmly. She didn't appear to have a moment where she considered telling anyone - even Laurel considered telling her father when she thought that information could be used as leverage in his situation, and she's known Oliver far longer. And yet Felicity trusted him when she had no reason to do so and she protected his identity by ordering the blood sample destroyed without even being asked. I've always been curious about her past and how it's influenced her current choices, how and why she learned so much about hacking, etc. I'm hoping her backstory touches on some of these things.

• Love 2

Ahh, gotcha. I hope her backstory touches on some of that too. I can rationalize her calm reaction based on her scenes with Oliver in "Vertigo" and "The Odyssey," but I'd love it if something in her past also helped explained why she handled it as well as she did.

• Love 1

There's no real motivation for Felicity, Lance or Laurel (at this point) to become a Vigilante and run around beating people up. IMO, if the only reason is that Sara dies then it boils down to comics...which is lazy writing

Replied in Laurel thread.

• Love 1

Yes, I get why Felicity joined the team. I think they've shown us her motivations well enough. The mystery (for me anyway) is more that she took the news of Oliver being the vigilante so calmly. She didn't appear to have a moment where she considered telling anyone - even Laurel considered telling her father when she thought that information could be used as leverage in his situation, and she's known Oliver far longer. And yet Felicity trusted him when she had no reason to do so and she protected his identity by ordering the blood sample destroyed without even being asked. I

Replying in the Felicity thread. 

I'm not happy about David Cubitt playing Manhunter, for more than because it means Laurel isn't. . Hopefully his acting has got better.

Even if David Cubitt is playing Manhunter, that doesn't mean that Laurel can't in the future.  Remember the EPs' love for having two versions of every superhero.  It could be that Cubitt's character does become Manhunter, Laurel finds out, he has a big influence on her, then he dies, and she assumes his identity (having rejected the idea of copying her sister).  Alternatively, if they're still going with Laurel becoming the Black Canary, they don't have to kill off Sara necessarily.  They could kill off Laurel's mother, then have Sara conveniently tied up elsewhere with LOA business, so Laurel assumes the Canary identity.

I think that the EPs really believe the problem with Laurel the past two seasons was that she wasn't in the know about Oliver being the vigilante/Arrow.  I read some interview somewhere where they were commenting that they learned from their mistakes on Arrow and so, on The Flash, they were going to let Barry's friends in on his secret (super speed) early on.  So for Season 3, now that Laurel knows, the EPs probably think her character is fixed.  She can be "business partners" with Oliver and friends with Felicity and Diggle, while undertaking her own journey to superhero status.

BTW, next week's TV Guide has an article on SDCC 2014 which includes a short paragraph on Arrow.  It mentions BR as Ray Palmer, O/F's first date not going so well, Thea's upcoming big change, and the "Oracle" episode about Felicity's flashback to her college days at MIT.

Speaking of the "Oracle" episode, what if the flashback shows Felicity working on an innovative computer program that she nicknames Oracle, or what if she has a friend at MIT named Barbara Gordon?  If they don't want to introduce Barbara Gordon to the show just yet, they could just show Felicity communicating online with BG - like e-mail or chat room pals.  Or maybe the flashback will just show Felicity being a secret hacker and having a not-so-clean past.  I still like the idea of either her mother or her father being old friends with Walter and that's how she ended up working for QC.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Interesting stuff... JB is asked about whether Malcolm is looking for redemption in Season 3, Malcolm's motives and relationship with Thea in Season 3, whether Malcolm's story will have flashbacks in Season 3, his love of the character of Malcolm, and what his fans mean to him:

Interview: John Barrowman Mentors Season 3 of ‘Arrow’

Posted by: Kyle Wilson  22 hours ago
http://nerdrepository.com/interview-john-barrowman-mentors-season-3-arrow/

Maybe Malcolm Merlyn needs his own topic thread now that he's going to be a regular.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

In case there was any ambiguity about what MG said to TVLine (see link in previous post on previous page)...

‘Arrow': Felicity and Laurel friendship coming in Season 3

Posted on August 6, 2014 by Staff in Arrow

http://cwtvsource.com/2014/08/06/arrow-felicity-and-laurel-friendship-coming-in-season-3/

there's nothing new in this link, in fact it's just a copy of what the TVLine Article says, it even uses TVLine as it's source.

I thought the significance was the headline of the article and how MG's arguably ambiguous statement was interpreted by a website that appears to be affiliated with The CW - but I could be wrong.

Edited by tv echo

I thought the significance was the headline of the article and how MG's arguably ambiguous statement was interpreted by a website that appears to be affiliated with The CW - but I could be wrong.

The CW Source is a fan site, per their Twitter bio.

Edited by dancingnancy

I wouldn't be surprised if Felicity and Laurel have grown closer by the time we see them again. Because of the 6 month timejump, the characters will have worked together on Team Arrow for quite some time already and probably also spent a good amount of time in each other's company.

I totally wouldn't put it past them to start the season with Felicity and Laurel as some sort of friends, using the 6 months we won't see to cheat viewers out of seeing it develop organically.  One of the many reasons I don't like the time jump.  I'd love to be wrong but logically, it doesn't track that they wouldn't have had interaction in the ensuing time between finale and premiere. 

• Love 3

It's why I'm so annoyed that there's a 6 month time jump. Last time it was just Oliver went to pergatory again and that's that. This time he's sticking around, trying to get QC back, Diggle and Lyla having baby, Oliver and Felicity giving a little on their relationship, Roy finding out about his Roy'd rage killing cops. Like the time jump has too many things that I really want to see. That's why I want to get the comic 2.5, having never bought one in my life.

Like the time jump has too many things that I really want to see. That's why I want to get the comic 2.5, having never bought one in my life.

I keep checking for it.  Anyone know when it is supposed to come out?

I totally wouldn't put it past them to start the season with Felicity and Laurel as some sort of friends,

On speaking terms or friendly but I suspect we're not going to see them as already friends.  They mentioned in one of the million interviews that there were able to do a real fun scene between Felicity and Laurel.  What do you want to bet they start trading Oliver stories?  And bonding ensues.   

I'm wondering if Laurel will be mainly dealing with Oliver, Sara, Quentin, and Ted Grant.  CH said that she's definitely not a part of Team Arrow, and we know that Oliver will be catching the criminals and she will be cooking them or whatever, so maybe she won't have much reason to be in the lair.  I can see her occasionally needing help from Felicity with computer related tasks, but really, her dad is a cop so whatever info she needs he could probably obtain legally much easier.  This is just my preference, anyways.  They kind of mishandled the Sara/Felicity friendship and didn't develop that one enough, so I don't have a lot of faith here.  I think Felicity and Diggle would do well to avoid Laurel as much as possible...who knows what she'll do if you are on her bad side.  Set you up to be taken down by a task force, throw an exploding glass at you, blackmail you, shoot you in the back??

• Love 3

On speaking terms or friendly but I suspect we're not going to see them as already friends.  They mentioned in one of the million interviews that there were able to do a real fun scene between Felicity and Laurel.  What do you want to bet they start trading Oliver stories?  And bonding ensues.   

first issue comes out 9/5...IIRC

The 2.5 comics are coming out in September and the first Green Arrow Comic book with Felicity Smoak as a character is coming out on October 1st. I will probably be buying them both.

They mentioned in one of the million interviews that there were able to do a real fun scene between Felicity and Laurel.  What do you want to bet they start trading Oliver stories?  And bonding ensues.   

Somehow I don't think Felicity will ever 'bond' with Laurel by trading Oliver stories. Oliver, Felicity & Diggle have the kind of trust where they know that even in jest, they will have each other's back and will not 'trade' stories for shit and giggles.

If they really want them to bond, they can bond over ... I don't know, lipstick or shoes, perhaps, but NEVER Oliver. God, that would be cringe inducing.

• Love 5

I was ready to gag about the Laurel/Felicity friendship stuff happening all over again (aka Propping up Laurel via Felicity) when I remembered that the EPs, when talking about Laurel, are rarely on target with what ends up on screen.

So from MG's perspective about 'fun' with these 2 could be anything but in regards to what I see unfolding.

No matter, I'm still cringing at the mere thought of anything Laurel does at this point.  None of the spoilers about her inspire positive feelings.

ETA:

She's out of town during 304... but still IN 304.  Because we love you guys.

Maybe MG is being serious about loving the fans but he is smart enough to also know that a lack of Felicity may not go over well with fans or ratings if people know in advance they won't be seeing her on that episode.

Edited by writersblock51
  • Love 5
The 2.5 comics are coming out in September and the first Green Arrow Comic book with Felicity Smoak as a character is coming out on October 1st. I will probably be buying them both.

replying in comics thread

Maybe MG is being serious about loving the fans but he is smart enough to also know that a lack of Felicity may not go over well with fans or ratings if people know in advance they won't be seeing her on that episode.

Well i don't think that many people missed Laurel in the episodes she was gone. 

Marc was asked if Felicity will be in 3x04? 

She's out of town during 304... but still IN 304.  Because we love you guys.

https://twitter.com/SparksOfOlicity/status/497445556969828352

They said there would be a series of flashbacks for Felicity. I know 3x05 is the Oracle episode, but perhaps there's a brief flashback in 3x04? Or she's just in the beginning or end of the episode. That could be it as well, I guess, though his phrasing is ambiguous. She's not there, but she's there lol.

• Love 1

Oh, God, no, please no. If they have Laurel ask Felicity to make her coffee ... I can't even.

Actually, if it means Felicity giving Laurel the same kind of verbal smackdown she gave Oliver, I'd be all for it. But I'd be a little surprised if they actually went that direction.

No matter, I'm still cringing at the mere thought of anything Laurel does at this point.  None of the spoilers about her inspire positive feelings.

Yes, sadly I'm at the point where the only spoilers regarding Laurel that will elicit positive feeling from me are "Laurel is not in this episode" or "Laurel is dead."  Sad but true.  Eh, I'm glad others like her or don't have issues with her, but I just can't.

• Love 6

The only bonding I could see Felicity and Laurel doing is Laurel commenting on how she clearly doesn't know current Oliver and realizing she didn't know past Oliver either, and Felicity remarking that she knows current Oliver quite well and has no desire to hear/know about past Oliver. Because that guy was clearly a douche.

I actually hope there's no bonding or "understanding" or anything between Felicity/Diggle and Laurel. You can work with someone and not like them. You do what has to be done to get the job done then go your separate ways. As long as everyone is polite and adult about it, I'd rather not see Felicity and Laurel as friends. Which I admit is weird because I'm always complaining that shows don't have enough women friendships. But I would rather Sara or Lyla or Thea or anyone else take that spot in Felicity's life. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 9

Oh, God, no, please no. If they have Laurel ask Felicity to make her coffee ... I can't even.

Sorry...I meant Laurel asking Felicity about being Oliver's EA with her IT background and Felicity tells the coffee story to her. I think they are going to try and make them friendly even if they aren't best buds since another BOP episode is on their wish list.

I wonder if Felicity is going to Vegas?

I actually hope there's no bonding or "understanding" or anything between Felicity/Diggle and Laurel. You can work with someone and not like them. You do what has to be done to get the job done then go your separate ways. As long as everyone is polite and adult about it, I'd rather not see Felicity and Laurel as friends. Which I admit is weird because I'm always complaining that shows don't have enough women friendships. But I would rather Sara or Lyla or Thea or anyone else take that spot in Felicity's life. 

Yes, I would prefer that the show just have Felicity/Diggle steer clear of Laurel and keep it mostly civil if they do need to interact with her.  I am hopeful that Team Arrow will remain Oliver/Felicity/Diggle with Roy and Sara added as needed, but the EPs keep talking about how much fun it will be to write for Laurel now that she's in on the secret, so that scares me. 

I think that I would really enjoy a Felicity/Thea friendship, but I don't know how that would happen since it sounds like Thea will be off with Malcolm training.  Roy and Felicity could be fun for the snark.

• Love 4

I cannot see the two of them as friends, and I don't really want to have to fast forward Felicity's scenes too.

I can't see them being more than civil and polite to each other, and the idea that they'll be swapping stories about Oliver sickens me. It would just be another relationship on the show that surrounds Oliver.

Women don't either have to hate each other, or be best friends, and I think if their relationship goes beyond anything but politeness it would be so out of character for both of them. Felicity doesn't like Laurel, Laurel doesn't like Felicity. Anything positive that comes out of Felicity's mouth will just feel like character propping, and anything positive that comes out of Laurels mouth will just feel like another attempt to re-write the character. 

If this does end up happening, it will probably be my reason for not watching the show. 

• Love 6

Sorry...I meant Laurel asking Felicity about being Oliver's EA with her IT background and Felicity tells the coffee story to her. I think they are going to try and make them friendly even if they aren't best buds since another BOP episode is on their wish list.

I wonder if Felicity is going to Vegas?

She's going to Central City.

Why can't Felicity be in Starling City for 3x04? Flash 1x04 airs before Arrow 3x04, and Arrow 3x04 is not even being filmed at the same time as Flash 1x04. Based on all the pictures from filming Arrow 3x03, it doesn't seem like Felicity is going to Corto Maltese either.  I hope that Arrow doesn't cut down too much on Felicity.

Edited by drspaceman10
  • Love 3

I think her being out of town but still in the episode means flashbacks.

I don't think Felicity particularly dislikes Laurel because she's always civil with Laurel. She might not like how Oliver and Laurel treat each other or behave with each other but I don't think she's ever expressed dislike. Unlike Helena whom she has every reason to dislike. Diggle on the other hand has no time for Laurel.

Edited by ArrowLimbo
  • Love 1