Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

@KirkB, that seems to be how they fly. 

Which goes against their 'give them what they need, not what they want' motto.

I think the EPs are borderline neurotic, the more I think about how they approach the show, how they talk about it, etc.... jeeeeez

Edited by writersblock51
  • Love 1

Season 3 is also going to introduce Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer, who is a potential love interest for Felicity. "I will say that Emily read with Brandon for the part, so that is something we're exploring too, and as always with these things, it's a rocky road and there are complications and changes and obstacles," the EP revealed. "I think some people will get what they were looking for and other people will shake their fists. As always, we just do what feels like the next right step."

Sentences like this always make me nervous.

If anything I am now morbidly interested in what Oliver and Felicity talk about in the premiere. Seriously, I can wait for the episode to air, but until I know what they discuss I don't really know what to think of Ray's character in relation to Felicity. I feel like once I've seen it or at least know what it's about I'll be able to better determine how that will play out on screen.

I really hope her work with Ray leads to greater things. But on a romantic note, I don't really know how it will play out.

Usually me too, but I really thought the "will shake their fists" part was a direct answer to the journalist who had said she preferred Oliver and Felicity as just friends? It looks way more ominous in the transcript than it is on video, IMO.

Yeah, it definitely came off better in the video, and it did seem like he was insinuating that the people shaking their fists would be the ones who prefer Oliver and Felicity as friends.

I think we are over playing the importance of all these characters/actors at this point in time. Both Mama Smoak and the Manhunter dude are hired for one episode only, I am not sure about Mama Smoak (she may come back for a couple more episodes if received well) but the other dude will not be a recurring character. Similarly, Peter Stormare - Count 2.0 - will be there for one episode. I am pretty sure Oliver will kill him in episode1 and then season long arc of manpain over Felicity. The actor has far too many other commitments for him to be available for long. Wildcat will come sometime after episode 5 and by then they will be done with all the above mentioned characters. Amanda Waller, Maseo & Katana will replace Slade Wilson/Shado/Sara/Ivo/Russian dude in the flashbacks so there would not be a huge glut of characters in the flashbacks.

Brandon Routh is one character who will have a sizeable role in a big chunk of story this season, but as we have witnessed in seasons past, Arrow has no issues with benching regular cast members (there were episodes where there was no Moira, Laurel, Roy, Thea or Quentin Lance) when the occasion calls for it, we know for sure that Barrowman and Willa Holland will miss a couple of initial episodes and I am quite sure that like last season, Laurel will miss some too because let's just admit it, she is a yawn inducing character and so will Quentin. Sara is still a recurring - albeit frequently recurring - character. If the placement is done well (which I am not sure that they will do) they can place all these characters in a way that they will not overwhelm the proceedings.

Barring Team Arrow which now includes Roy, every other cast member can and will miss episodes because that is how they have been telling the story in the past two seasons.

• Love 2

I thought I read somewhere that the Count 2.0 was a possible returning character…?

Also, I don't see them benching Laurel or Thea because the EP's were adamant that they'd been team players the last two seasons and now it was their time to shine or whatever they said. It sounded like they're in for big storylines. 

Edited by Angel12d

By the way anyone has any idea when Ra's al Ghul will be coming? According to Berlanti it would be the second half of the Season. And according to the Kriesberg interview, they haven't mapped out the second half of the season i.e they have looked at only the first 13 episodes till now. So, Caity Lotz will be in at least 5 episodes out of those first 13 episodes of the Season. I think we will be seeing Ra's fully after the first half of the Season. But until then, we might see only glimses of him.

Edited by abhi

If I were to guess, I'd say Ra's will be teased through the first half of the season, then shown (at least partially) in the mid season finale and be a major figure for the second half.

• Love 1

according to the Kriesberg interview, they haven't mapped out the second half of the season i.e they have looked at only the first 13 episodes till now.

This supports my growing belief that all the spoilers and details we know will all come and go before the half point of the season, probably even sooner since they'd only done up to episode 8 at the time of the big interviews, right?  Sure save Ra's for the second half, maybe even slip Oliver's baby drama til then or into season 4. 

Ray will play out for the season and the question of Olicity but most of these other seemingly really big themes to explore, I have a feeling a lot of them will be just touched on in an episode or two and that's that. 

Edited by BkWurm1

Also, I don't see them benching Laurel or Thea because the EP's were adamant that they'd been team players the last two seasons and now it was their time to shine or whatever they said. It sounded like they're in for big storylines. 

Well Willa wont be there for first couple of episodes so she is benched for them, so is John Barrowman.

I am most assured that Katie Cassidy will be benched too. Last season, they told us that episode 11 - 14 were Laurel's arc - well in 11 Roy & Sin have their own separate storyline and in episode 12 Roy's story was the plot A and this is the episode where Oliver's identity was revealed to him and Moira's political career started. And we have also had the 'love is the most powerful emotion' dialogue with Sara in flashbacks and with Felicity in the present. That episode was also the start of the Suicide squad when Amanda Waller recruited Bronze Tiger. Episode 13 had the whole return of Sara, Nyssa's entry in Starling, Moira's campaign and Thea's paternity revelations. Episode 14 was the Clock King/Felicity Smoak episode with that Lance family dinner from hell and the laurel/oliver conversation in the hallway. So even when they propagated a 4 episode Laurel arc during last season, Laurel was either the B plot of the story of C sub plot.

This season, they have not even hinted at a separate story line for her character apart from the fact that she will interact with Wildcat who will not make an appearance before episode 6 so her appearance will either be limited to 2 or 3 minutes per episode or she will be missing a couple of episode.

I should point out that it is all just a calculated guess on my part.

• Love 1

Well Willa wont be there for first couple of episodes so she is benched for them, so is John Barrowman.

I am most assured that Katie Cassidy will be benched too. Last season, they told us that episode 11 - 14 were Laurel's arc - well in 11 Roy & Sin have their own separate storyline and in episode 12 Roy's story was the plot A and this is the episode where Oliver's identity was revealed to him and Moira's political career started. And we have also had the 'love is the most powerful emotion' dialogue with Sara in flashbacks and with Felicity in the present. That episode was also the start of the Suicide squad when Amanda Waller recruited Bronze Tiger. Episode 13 had the whole return of Sara, Nyssa's entry in Starling, Moira's campaign and Thea's paternity revelations. Episode 14 was the Clock King/Felicity Smoak episode with that Lance family dinner from hell and the laurel/oliver conversation in the hallway. So even when they propagated a 4 episode Laurel arc during last season, Laurel was either the B plot of the story of C sub plot.

This season, they have not even hinted at a separate story line for her character apart from the fact that she will interact with Wildcat who will not make an appearance before episode 6 so her appearance will either be limited to 2 or 3 minutes per episode or she will be missing a couple of episode.

I should point out that it is all just a calculated guess on my part.

Really? I didn't know that episodes 11-14 were Laurel's story 'arc'. That is so weird! I never would have guessed that. 

Obviously Thea won't be around for a couple of episodes but I see that as necessary for their arc. As for Laurel, I have no idea. I think her knowing Oliver's secret and trying to find out more about Team Arrow and her story with Wildcat does mean she'll be on screen more than she was last year which just garners a giant MEH from me so let's hope it plays out like episodes 11-14 then! 

I feel though that "Where's Thea" will be a mystery for the characters and us. So it'll still be a major (please) plot point, that's grow in that regard when she returns. 

Honestly, ever since they cast J R Ramirez as Ted Grant, I've been starting to wonder just how serious they are about this whole Laurel's journey thing. Let me say upfront, I realize that since I've never seen the guy, this snap judgment is completely unfair. He may be the greatest thing ever. But, unfair as it is, I just can't get past my surprise that for this major pivotal role for Laurel's supposed transition to Black Canary, they didn't get more of a name actor. Let's look at this for a minute. For Oliver's rival and Felicity's love interest this season they get none other than Brandon Routh, former Superman (not saying I'm a Brandon Routh fan, but still). And then for Laurel's trainer and (assumed) love interest, they get someone most people have never heard of. Which story are they telling us is the more important one here? Yes, obviously Oliver's story is going to be more important, but I would think that the assumed future Black Canary's story would also be important. And yet. I might end up being surprised, but with everything else they're talking about, I'm starting to think that Laurel's "journey", whatever it ends up being, is going to end up as the B or C storyline most of the time. She is in the know, now, so how that will affect the whole group dynamic is yet to be seen. They might mix her up into the main story more than I'm expecting (though I'm not sure how at this point - they've made it clear that she isn't going to be out fighting yet). But, I don't know...I wouldn't be surprised to see her slide back into the background after the first two-three episodes like what happened last season.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 6

Honestly, ever since they cast J R Ramirez as Ted Grant, I've been starting to wonder just how serious they are about this whole Laurel's journey thing. Let me say upfront, I realize that since I've never seen the guy, this snap judgment is completely unfair. He may be the greatest thing ever. But, unfair as it is, I just can't get past my surprise that for this major pivotal role for Laurel's supposed transition to Black Canary, they didn't get more of a name actor. Let's look at this for a minute. For Oliver's rival and Felicity's love interest this season they get none other than Brandon Routh, former Superman (not saying I'm a Brandon Routh fan, but still). And then for Laurel's trainer and (assumed) love interest, they get someone most people have never heard of. Which story are they telling us is the more important one here? Yes, obviously Oliver's story is going to be more important, but I would think that the assumed future Black Canary's story would also be important. And yet. I might end up being surprised, but with everything else they're talking about, I'm starting to think that Laurel's "journey", whatever it ends up being, is going to end up as the B or C storyline most of the time.

I thought exactly that.

For some reason, I was expecting Wildcat to be an older dude and secondly, when you cast a Latino soap actor (no disrespect to him, after all Emily Bett Rickards was an absolute newbie when she was cast as Felicity Smoak ) you kinda know they are not really all that into developing that canary arc. I don't even blame them, I mean when you have a pretty good canary, why try to resuscitate a character that is generally not liked at all to take up her mantle.  

If J.R. Ramirez has insane chemistry with KC, then I don't think it'll matter how well-known or not an actor he was before this show.  Laurel's journey should be the B or C storyline because the show is called Arrow.  That's why I didn't like how Sara/Black Canary seemed to hijack so much of Season 2.

If Oliver also hooks up with Katana in Hong Kong and she dies, after he hooked up with Shado on the island and she died, then I'll be getting a serious Madame Butterfly/Miss Saigon/South Pacific vibe - not a good thing.

I like this part of that article because it acknowledges how natural and organic the whole evolution of the O/F relationship has been and will continue to be:

While there may be fans that want to see these characters [Oliver and Felicity] take that next step, there are others who prefer to see them stay friends, but the EP hopes that this will "feel like an evolution." "They have so much chemistry, it's literally insane," he explained. "If they were our friends in real life, we would all be going, 'Dude, why aren't you two together?' There are other women on the show, like Amanda Waller, that he won't have had a relationship with." As you probably already know, the character of Felicity Smoak wasn't part of the plan in the beginning – or even when they first introduced her. "Once we saw those dailies and we saw what Emily [bett Rickards] did to Stephen [Amell], especially early on, it was just this thing that just kept growing and growing and growing," he shared.

There are only so many people in the world who can understand what they do. "I think that's part of the emotional arc for this season for both her and for him is, can you really have a life, if you do this?" Kreisberg said. "So much of the last two seasons was about the morality of what they were doing. Am I a hero? Am I a killer? And now that he's sort of on the hero track, is this all there is? Am I just going to do this until I die? Are you going to be my friend? Can we be together? Can I be with anybody else if I'm not with you? Those are the questions that are being asked this year."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I'm thinking that the amount of screentime that the Laurel and Ted Grant storyline gets will be majorly dependent on how well the two actors click.  If the two are a black hole of suck, then I think Ted will quietly disappear or be replaced by Ted 2.0 down the line at some point.  If the two have wonderful chemistry, I think more of that story will be featured.  Based on what I have seen of KC's acting in Arrow, J.R. Ramirez's past acting roles, KC's awkwardness about Stephen Amell being shirtless (???), and her possible issues filming romantic scenes with a married co-star, I don't know.  If her awkwardness is just limited to SA, she could be fine, but if the issue is that she has problems with romantic scenes, I don't know what could be done to fix that. 

Is J R Ramirez married? The answer to that might tell us how well their storyline is going to go.

Don't know...I tried to Google it but didn't find anything.  She really did seem absolutely embarrassed by SA showing his abs at SDCC.  I can only imagine that Ted Grant, a boxer, is going to be going shirtless a lot, so that could get awkward.

• Love 1

I don't know what her deal was at Comic-Con, but the whole "uncomfortable working with married people" thing doesn't quite ring true to me. I mean, I'm not saying she's lying - maybe she is uncomfortable. But even if she is, other people have pointed out that it hasn't affected her performance with married actors in previous shows. So I'm not buying that being why she and Stephen don't click onscreen. And it's not like Stephen is the only one she has a lack of onscreen chemistry with on this show (IMO). I would hope they did a chemistry test with her and Ramirez though.

Edited by Starfish35

From TVLine:

Question: Any chance we are going to get a Laurel and Felicity friendship on Arrow, now that Laurel knows the secret, instead of some ridiculous catty girl nonsense? —Samantha
Ausiello: EP Marc Guggenheim says that with Laurel now in on everyone’s secret, the dynamic between her and Felicity will be “a lot of fun” — and decidedly not in a catty way. “These characters [including Sara] should all be more than just who they are to Oliver,” Guggenheim notes. “We’re always trying to flesh out Felicity’s character and Laurel’s character and Sara’s character beyond whether or not they’re going out with Oliver that week.”

Source

Edited by strikera0

Well that's good in theory. The women should be more than jut who they are to Oliver.

That said, I'll be really surprised if they manage to make me buy a Laurel/Felicity friendship. And I freely admit that's because I don't like Laurel, but still. I do like her with Sara, but I just can't imagine her with Felicity.

We'll see if this actually comes to pass however. I seem to remember getting promised some Sara/Felicity scenes that never saw the light of day (except for that one photo from a scene we never saw).

I don't know how they are going to pull of a Felicity/Laurel friendship when previously Laurel acted like she could hardly stand to be around Oliver's secretary. 

That's another mistake they made with Laurel character or KC's acting, she wasn't a huge fan of Oliver when she thought he was just Oliver, but now that he's a hero she's all over him. It'll be the same now for Felicity, she's not just the help she's a big part of the Arrow's team so now they can be friends. That really shows us how shallow Laurel is. 

However I do like that he had to keep inserting Sara's name into the question. It's almost like they have to mention Felicity or Sara in a question about Laurel or not many people will care about the answer. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 10

Isn't that just a rehash of what they previously said? That they were able to do a Felicity/Laurel scene now that she's in the know which they couldn't do before and it was a lot of fun?

Maybe I'm too optimistic right now but I'm not thinking F/L are all of a sudden going to be BFF. Fleshing these characters out beyond if they're going out with Oliver doesn't mean girl bonding. Could mean, F/R , Mama Smoak, MIT; for Laurel probably means Ted Grant, Laurel/Sara scenes, copying her sisters life; for Sara, LoA backstory, Sara/Sin, choosing between hero/killer, etc.

of course Laurel is shallow, I mean any woman who is planning a move, engagement and then wedding with a man as immature as pre island Ollie is when he seemed least interested in that has got to be shallow. I refuse to believe that there was any tru wuv involved. She only wanted Ollie because he was rich, connected, kinda lazy so he would let her do whatever, with amazing abs and an enviable behind.

Yups, Laurel was/is shallow and you cannot convince me otherwise.

• Love 4

The boys of Team Arrow are hard at work! 

BuTCa2VIgAE-WOz.jpg

I love that David Ramsey is reading Men's Fitness.  Clearly working to make his character great.

These characters [including Sara] should all be more than just who they are to Oliver,” Guggenheim notes. “We’re always trying to flesh out Felicity’s character and Laurel’s character and Sara’s character beyond whether or not they’re going out with Oliver that week.”

The plus is that he included Sara's character there, so they know viewers want to know more about her.

The minus -- it still feels like they are going to use Felicity to prop Laurel's character   They've spent two seasons fleshing out Laurel. Hopefully they will take her in a different direction now.

• Love 2

I don't know how I feel about that spoiler about Laurel/Felicity friendship. On one hand I like that there won't be any awkwardness about Oliver but at the same time it feels a bit forced, esp when Laurel has barely acknowledged Felicity's presence in previous episodes. I knew they'd use Felicity to prop Laurel's character but let's not go too far, esp not in these early episodes. If they had this kind of friendship mid to late s3 I could understand but not yet. It's way too soon.

• Love 1

“These characters [including Sara] should all be more than just who they are to Oliver,” Guggenheim notes. “We’re always trying to flesh out Felicity’s character and Laurel’s character and Sara’s character beyond whether or not they’re going out with Oliver that week.”

I can't believe MG said this. Good. Good. That's exactly what I've been wanting to see and I'm amazed that they're pulling away from writing everyone as moons orbiting Planet Oliver. Especially the female characters. He's the main character and I like him but the way things were going, Oliver having a mental break with reality when he watched his dad kill himself and just imagining everything and everyone after could've been a legit crack theory, since most of it revolves around him. I'm glad they're trying to course-correct.

• Love 4
(edited)

Any scoop on Arrow? —Seana, via Twitter

The third season will explore themes of identity, but that won't just apply to Oliver and his struggle between being a man and being a hero, according to executive producer Marc Guggenheim. "For Thea: Am I Thea Queen or am I Thea Merlyn?" he says. "With Diggle: Am I sidekick or am I my own man? Felicity: Do I exist outside the lair? Do I exist as something more than just Oliver's crush object? Lance: If I'm confined to a desk job, am I still a cop?... Laurel: Am I Laurel or am I my sister? Or can I be my sister?" Let's hope the answer to that last question is yes!

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mega-Buzz-True-Blood-Once-Spoilers-1085293.aspx

They're not even trying to pretend are they?

Edited by Morrigan2575

These questions of identity seem really pointless because except for Thea the answers seem really obvious. Obviously, Diggle is not just a sidekick, Felicity is not just a crush object, Quentin is still a cop, and Laurel is not her sister. If Laurel was going to become the Black Canary, why would they phrase it like that? Wouldn't they say something more like "can I be a vigilante?". I hope it plays out better than it sounds. 

Edited by drspaceman10
  • Love 2

@DrSpaceman10 - I agree with the exception of Thea the answers should all be fairly obvious.

Oliver: can I be Oliver Queen and the Arrow - yes you can be both, it's part of the heroes journey.

Diggle: Am I sidekick or am I my own man? - of course he's more than a sidekick

Felicity: Do I exist outside the lair? Do I exist as something more than just Oliver's crush object? - yes she is more than just a crush object. ..hell they already proved that last season

Lance: If I'm confined to a desk job, am I still a cop? - Yes, he's still a cop, it's about who he is, not if he's pushing papers

Laurel: Am I Laurel or am I my sister? Or can I be my sister? - Well her name is Laurel so unless she wants to SWF her sister..the answer is obviously no you're not Sara nor should you be.

• Love 6

If MG and the other EPs think that Laurel asking herself if she can be her sister this season is viable, then they clearly have run out of ways to make her relevant on her own merits.

What the hell.  Seriously.  She's the credited 2nd lead on the show.  It should never ever have been this difficult to make her relevant.

I cannot despise their reasoning more.

As for the others, I think the answers are pretty clear but that's because (1) common sense, (2) logical courses for the respective characters and (3) they've spoiled so much already anyway.

ETA: I was going to add more but I'm taking it to the bitterness thread. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Edited by writersblock51
  • Love 6

So all of sudden Laurel wants to be Sara? Why? It would make more sense for her to ask if she can be a vigilante, or if she can trust the law. Anything but trying to be a copy of her sister. She still has no motivation to even want to be like Sara. Again they are going with Laurel's a shallow person and just likes the status that comes with being a hero. 

If that is truly her identity crisis then I can answer that for her. No, you are not your sister, nor should you want to be her. Instead of being defined by Oliver, they are making Laurel defined by Sara. So she's not her own person. How is anyone going to buy her as a hero that way? I think if they are hellbent on making Laurel a hero they really need to make her choose her own name and not just take someone elses. (adding Black in front of the name is never going to make it different)

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

I wish Felicity's identity question was meatier than just "am I only Oliver's love interest?", but it's only August so who knows what'll happen.

@Sakura12 I don't think they're going to make Laurel a hero, at least not a costumed one. For me, it seems like her identity question gives away that she's not going to be her sister (ie: (Black) Canary).

Edited by drspaceman10

I think people are reading into that a bit too literally. 

Based on instagram, it seems Barrowman is back on set (although Willa isn't). I expect actual spoilers about Thea and Malcolm to pop up soon at last. 

IMO, it wouldn't be sudden for Laurel to want to steal her sister's life. I think they've laid enough ground work with some acrimony and blackmail in Laurel's wheelhouse that it could work.

ETA: Because I meant to post that first part in the Media thread.  /Derp

Edited by catrox14
(edited)

@Sakura12 - had a whole post eaten but anyway your comment reminded me of Laurel's line to Sara in 213...you stole my life.

Are they seriously trying to play off of that? Laurel steals Sara's life now?

Honestly the logical set up for her identity question would mean she's not going to be BC. However, with this show and how they handle Laurel logic doesn't really factor in.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

KC has commented at 1 interview that it's very awkward when Stephen is shirtless.  Then she was heard to say (along the lines of) don't take your shirt off at the DC event at SDCC. 

her reactions seem in direct opposition to EBR's. 

I just find the contrast funny.  And I hang out at the shallow end of the pool to go along with Emily's line of thinking on this issue.  Every time.

Edited by writersblock51
  • Love 2

It's not so much what we, the audience, know but do the characters know the answers to those questions.  That those are the questions they are asking themselves this year (inner monologue questions).  And what each of their journeys will be to get those answers.

Diggle already pointed out that Oliver refers to himself in the third person, implying that Oliver still isn't a real person to himself. He's more comfortable as the Arrow. The person he had to become in HK. He had to stop being Oliver Queen.  Now his journey will be to combine those two personalities. To find a way to balance the life the man wants with the goals the Arrow wants.

From the trailer we know that Oliver is trying to push Dig out of the team something that he could do if Diggle was his sidekick. But if this has truly become Digs mission too, then he has a right to be his own man and decide what risks he is willing to take and if one of those risks is that he would die and leave his kid without a Dad, than he is willing to accept that for the greater good of the mission.

Felicity is similar. Finding a balance between Team Arrow and personal connections outside of the lair. Is she going to let Oliver's fear for her safety keep her locked up in the lair or does she explore a life out in the field and away from him.

Quentin, they gave away a bit at Comic Con with him struggling with being forced behind a desk and feeling more like a pencil pusher than a police officer.  I'm assuming that will lead him to further embrace the Arrow's cause in an attempt to feel useful again.

Thea's choice is the only one up in the air and going by what SA said at Comic Con that will be something that will take up most of her arc. She'll be battling am I a Queen (Good) or a Merlyn (Villain)

I have no idea about Laurel. None.

Edited by Orion
  • Love 5

Well her name is Laurel so unless she wants to SWF her sister..the answer is obviously no you're not Sara nor should you be.

Damnit, now I'm picturing Laurel slowly descending a staircase wearing Sara's wig with the same smile from the bon voyage scene while Sara gapes in horror.

Laughing helps me not pull my hair out wondering what the hell they're doing with Laurel and Sara's characterization/relationship next season.

• Love 2

Laurel: Am I Laurel or am I my sister? Or can I be my sister?" Let's hope the answer to that last question is yes!

Oh for the love of.... NO. Let's NOT hope the answer to the last question is yes. I'm tempted to sign up for Disqus just so I can respond in the comments! Seriously! Even if you're a Laurel fan, why would you want that? Look I get that what MG probably meant was "can I be a vigilante like my sister when I've built a career around the law?", but putting it this way is incredibly offputting. Laurel needs to be her own person, not Sara 2.0.

Instead of being defined by Oliver, they are making Laurel defined by Sara. So she's not her own person.

Exactly.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

I understand all of the other characters questions about their identities apart from Laurel's. Why would she want to be her sister, who is not only younger than her but who has suffered a huge amount and kills people? I don't understand the logic. It's actually really pathetic that this grown woman is probably jealous of what her sister has/is. They are really not making this BC transition palatable for me. FML.

• Love 1

Poor Thea.Not sure which choice is better. Can she become like her ex-step dad instead? The other options aren't that great.

Yeah, am I an insane mass murder or a scarily evil mama bear who will kill/threaten/bribe/go along with mass murder?

Hopefully, Thea's answer is F this I'm my own person.

• Love 2

Impractical? Absolutely. But putting aside the fact the real reason is they are easy to draw, on a real person I figure the fishnets would be for the same reason her breasts are half on display (which is also impractical), to distract most of the men and at least some of the women she fights.

I think the real reason is to appeal to the teen boys (of whatever age).  I've always found the ridiculous outfits and impossible proportions of the outfits of many of the comic book women something that really pulls me out of the story.  Not to mention, those breasts in the push-up bras would make it really difficult to fight.  Ditto the heels.

Yeah, me too. I think s3 is gonna be tough to watch sometimes. I don't really want Felicity to have a LI but I see why they're doing it that way. It's stalling for now, at least I hope it is! 

To me, giving Felicity a real love interest so that she actually has a choice shows more respect to the character than MG's comment about wanting to flesh out the female characters.  Talk is cheap but if they care enough about her to give her someone good enough to compete with Oliver, that makes me optimistic. 

With all these announcements, I get the feeling the EP's are planning to just throw everything they can think of at the viewers and wait to see which ones we respond positively to, then go with that. Which doesn't really speak well for the direction of the season.

That's something they do (relatively) well though, pick out what works and what doesn't and stick with the former.  The one exception is Laurel but they're rather blinkered about her.

At least Guggenheim admitted they dropped the ball on Roy.

Felicity: Do I exist outside the lair? Do I exist as something more than just Oliver's crush object?

Curious wording. That implies that she is the object of Oliver's crush.

The fact that they are even thinking of those questions in terms of characters other than Oliver is a good sign. Up to now, it's always been All About Oliver. If they want the show to have legs, they have to extend to focus of interest to other characters.

I'm not happy about David Cubitt playing Manhunter, for more than because it means Laurel isn't. . Hopefully his acting has got better.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I'm gonna try to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they actually mean "Or can I be a vigillante like my sister?", which would be in -keeping with some of the comic book canon. Post-Crisis Dinah originally wanted to become a cop like her dad, but was turned down by the force. After her father died from a heart-attack, she chose to become a vigillante to honor his memory in a different way. And comic book Dinah Laurel Lance had so much admiritation for her mother and her mother's JSA friends that she wanted to become a costumed superhero just like her mother before her (to her mother's chagrin). Now, one can argue whether this type of origin story still fits modern times. Personally, I would have much rather seen a more individual hero's journey but maybe that's just me...

Edited by strikera0