Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: My Desperate Valentine

• Start Topic

The phone stuff was real -- My stepfather wasn't too grumpy about it and my Dad was not in a position to be controlling about it... but my BFF, who I was always on the phone WITH, her father was INTENSE about the phone! A big part of our phone conversations involved trying to avoid her father's notice.

• Love 2

Oh Emily. You don't wear someone's sports jersey without being told. You can't do that stuff.

She comes back two episodes later where Brandon gives her the shirt. (Christmas episode)

Edited by SoupThrower
  • Love 1

SoupThrower beat me to it, just coming to say Tara was correct remembering a scene where B visits Emily, it's just later at Christmas.

Thank you for the gif of Dylan's eye roll! The best!

Edited by desertflower
  • Love 2

Heee. We all came to say the same thing about the Christmas episode! 

Also? Totally feeling everyone on the "my parents were crazy about the phone" but I had it a bit different... My step-dad was insane, but in a "fun" way... he really liked my friends, and they find him hilarious, so it was always a race to get to the phone before him or else I'd have to deal with him talking  to my friends forever (like 3 min. but come ON! I was 15!!) which was endlessly embarrassing and I haaaated it. He was also legit obsessed with lights... I'd definitely get in trouble if I left a light on after leaving a room. 

Brandon is such a dick here though. Just break up with her already! God. I mean not that Emily is a peach. But I do feel a bit bad for the fact that he keeps leading her on at the start of the episode. 

ETA: Also we're really getting into peak Shannen Doherty's perfect perfect hair now. I feel like we're not talking about it enough. However, I'm fully aware that I love Shannen/Brenda's hair in much the same way Emily loves Brandon. It's not healthy, but I can't stop. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I can still hear my dad's voice in my head when someone called during dinner. "Hello? She will have to call you back, she's eating dinner with her FAMILY right now." I wonder what Dads make a big deal about these days since they don't have landlines to get worked up over?

• Love 4

I can still hear my dad's voice in my head when someone called during dinner. "Hello? She will have to call you back, she's eating dinner with her FAMILY right now." I wonder what Dads make a big deal about these days since they don't have landlines to get worked up over?

I have suffered similar phone-related dad embarrassments myself. Dads today get riled up with kids playing with their mobile phones all the livelong day, including during family dinner. Some of my friends confiscate phones during dinner and at other events where they expect child interaction. 

• Love 1

Yes! Never before 9AM or after 9PM. Never during dinner. And we had one phone so if I wanted to talk to a BOY I had to do it in front of everyone. We grew up in dark times. Ask your parents, kids.

Dylan's eyeroll is a thing of glory. And I LOVE Kelly sharing such an embarrassing story like it ain't no thing. Awesome Kelly, where did you go? Also, nice shout out to the forum posters about the Kelly discussion. We appreciate that.

• Love 9

My dad taught us how to properly answer the phone, which resulted in one of his clients complimenting him by revealing how polite and professional I was on the phone.  Other than that, he didn't particularly worry about our phone behavior unless a call came in after 10.  Half the time, when either Bestie 1 or Bestie 2 would call, he would end up chatting with them, to the point that I ALWAYS thought he was talking to his own friends.  Like, they'd catch up for about 15 minutes, I'd go back to whatever I was doing convinced that it wasn't for me, and then he'd hand the phone to me.  They still find it amusing and are sad they can't continue that habit now that everyone has cell phones.

• Love 2

In listening to the brilliant and hilarious podcast:

I think we meet Emily at the hospital on valentine's day.
And I think it is Tara where we meet the parents.

I liked the Emily U4EA/stalker episodes.  They are so much fun.  Loved Kelly's story, loved Steve. 

The C plot of Dylan and Brenda are only kissing everywhere they go?  So lame.  And yes, I do not see how the two of them are only kissing.   Yes, even after the pregnancy scare.

I'd forgotten how sanctimonious Brandon was.   He doesn't get another girlfriend for awhile right?  

See you two seasons from now Miss Valentine.

RAISINS are evil.  I demand a recount!  And then I want a recount on the recount.  Are we sure Emily Valentine didn't come in and stuff the ballot box?

Another Tori Spelling/Donna tick that drove me nuts was that she always ended a lot of her lines with a very audible "hmmmmm".

Oh god yes. So many seasons of that until the whispering.

Also that outfit and then you remember her career choice and it's like oh boy...

I wonder if Brandon and Brenda were T-Wolves supporters. Their roster was kind of eh with their 3rd season in existence. 

As someone who owns the DVD of The Deliberate Stranger (and has read every book on Bundy, please don't judge), I am in awe of THE BUNDY MUSIC.  Thank you, Tara, Sarah and Dave - - who else could make Emily being cray secondary?  It's a gift, I tell you.

I think I'm still a bit confuzzled that Ohhhhhhhn-drea, with all her brains (despite wearing that camel-y camel toe atrocity) does not see the so-not-anonymous notes (NOT a pen pal, people) as clear threats.  Hello?  Of course this is also someone who, in two seasons, will mistake a baby in her uterus as IBS or something. 

Not sorry that Emily gets the heave-ho (temporarily) after this episode.  She was one of my least favorite characters (which says a LOT given this is 90210) and I never bought the total retcon on her relationship with Brandon when he visits her in SF.  Blech.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, psychoticstate said:

Not sorry that Emily gets the heave-ho (temporarily) after this episode.  She was one of my least favorite characters (which says a LOT given this is 90210) and I never bought the total retcon on her relationship with Brandon when he visits her in SF.  Blech.

This would be an interesting topic.  I think my least favorite full time (as in main credits) has to be Noah. 

In terms of random guests, I think it was this girl Brandon meets in the deep south, who helps him fix a flat and everyone is buzzing that they are a couple.  Later, she write a book about angels and runs into him again.  She's part of the group that is very pro- Kelly/Brandon even though he's with someone else I think.  And I think she thought Brandon was great too.  All strikes against her.

I also didn't like Ginger, Valerie's "friend" who she framed as a thief and later did this Indecent Proposal with David.  I always loved Val and felt that she too cool to degrade herself for the Hillsters.  It made me sad that a close friend would use that against her.

• Love 1

Ooooh, our least favorite characters!  This could be fun.

Obviously, the aforementioned Emily Valentine.   I also disliked the character Vivica A. Fox played during the first (?) season because . . . stereotype much?  I initially disliked Dan Rubin but upon rewatch as an adult (I really have no excuse for this) I realize it wasn't Dan so much as the writers.

I also didn't like Ginger.  Ugh.  

Didn't care for Sophie, who was utterly pointless.  Am I the only one that remembers Sophie?  So not surprising.

Didn't care for Pumpkinhead Pruit because he's an abuser.

I didn't mind Noah, although the writers made him seem like he was touched or something. 

I alternated between liking Val and wanting to smack her into next week.  

I hated Gina.  She was supposed to be a former Olympic figure skater?  Riiiiiiiight.  

I didn't dislike Camille but she really got screwed over when TPTB decided to write up 90210 on the fly and had to ff'd the Donna-David relationship.

Let's not forget Single White Tara.  Chick be crazy.

And Colin - - the single worst artist EVER.  And we can't blame the drugs.

This is embarrassing but I actually liked Brandon when I first watched this show during its original run while disliking Brenda but GAH.  Brandon is a self-righteous smug asshole and Brenda actually has some pretty awesome moments.  

On 10/23/2015 at 12:40 PM, Lisin said:

Also we're really getting into peak Shannen Doherty's perfect perfect hair now. I feel like we're not talking about it enough. However, I'm fully aware that I love Shannen/Brenda's hair in much the same way Emily loves Brandon. It's not healthy, but I can't stop. 

Shannon's hair flip in the opening credits is so gorge. I have very long hair (too long really) and a lot of it but it is very fine and never ever gets off that casual "flip it over my shoulder as I smile my perfect transplanted California girl smile."