Type keyword(s) to search

Crimes You'd Like To See On Dateline: Calling Keith Morrison!

cooksdelight
  • Start Topic

I expect the police believe one of Brian's parents must have put him in the trunk of their car and driven him past the surveillance cops to a point where he could begin his fugitive life.

The man on TattleTeeny's link  speculates  that Brian's on the Appalachian Trail because he has hiked it many times in the past.

• Love 2

I was just thinking about what he said about the Appalachian Trail too. Someone could have picked him up from the reserve and driven him away. The Georgia entrance to the AT is, I think, about an 8-hour drive. I just don't know why his family would allegedly not report him missing until a day after bringing the Mustang back to their driveway from the wildlife reserve (and some reports say that they claim that they brought it back on Thursday, though it was recorded as being in the driveway on Wednesday).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

My guess is that the entire plan was for the boyfriend to get out of the U.S.      I'm guessing the U.S. - Mexico border, you can walk over, take a cab to the airport in a lot of the cities on the Mexico side, and get connections all over the world.     All he needs to stay out of jail is to get to a country that won't extradict to the U.S. for any crime.   

I believe that Mexico won't extradite to the U.S. if the death penalty might be involved.    Also, there are a lot of countries that are easily accessible from Mexico that don't extradite for any crime. 

If he actually was in Florida on 1 September, that gives him three weeks to get to the Mexico border, and simply walk across, and take a cab to the airport.    He could be anywhere by now.    There is a possible sighting on a trail camera in Florida, but who knows.   So after a drive to a border town in Texas, walk across to Mexico, and then a flight to anywhere without extradition treaties, and he's home free. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Maybe. But what about his passport (I guess he could have gotten it when he was at home)? And isn't there an extradition treaty? And that's a long drive from where he was. Would he dare to try to fly? Are there boats that cross the Gulf? How long would that even take? Did he get a job on a fishing boat? I might be dumb--I am sorry for such a barrage of question marks! I just don't know the logistics of fleeing Florida, haha!

And, oyyyyy -- misdirecting authorities to search that massive reserve would be just diabolical.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

Autopsy confirms remains found in Wyoming are Gabby Petito's, FBI says

"Autopsy results have confirmed that the remains found Sunday in the Bridger-Teton National Forest are those of Gabby Petito, a 22-year-old woman who disappeared while on a trip exploring national parks with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, according to the FBI in Denver.

The FBI tweeted that Teton County Coroner Dr. Brent Blue ruled the manner of death a homicide in his preliminary findings.

"The cause of death remains pending final autopsy results," the FBI said."

On 9/21/2021 at 1:05 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe. But what about his passport (I guess he could have gotten it when he was at home)? And isn't there an extradition treaty?

The influx of migrants along the Texas border could potentially also provide Brian with a type of cover. People are crossing into the U.S. from Mexico. What if Brian crosses into Mexico at a non-checkpoint area somewhere along the Rio Grande?

I think we;'re getting to the point that he's either dead or out of the United States by now.  The coroner declared her death a homicide in Wyoming. He did it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I think he did it too (but still willing to acknowledge that there is the possibility that he didn’t). And I can’t help but think this Carlton Reserve business is a flat-out lie outside of the car being parked there, which would be just insult on top of injury, to waste resources and time and energy and manpower. To state the obvious, my impression of this guy’s family is not good. I just don’t get it at all;  you can love your kid regardless of his wrongdoings, but to get in the way of a sound investigation of someone else’s child’s disappearance and now confirmed death is heinous.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohmo said:

The influx of migrants along the Texas border could potentially also provide Brian with a type of cover. People are crossing into the U.S. from Mexico. What if Brian crosses into Mexico at a non-checkpoint area somewhere along the Rio Grande?

I think we;'re getting to the point that he's either dead or out of the United States by now.  The coroner declared her death a homicide in Wyoming. He did it.

To get into Mexico, he only has to walk across one of the many pedestrian bridges.   I don't know if they even track someone who claims he's just there for the day to do tourist stuff.   Then, it's a taxi ride away from the airport, and from Mexico City he can catch flights anywhere in the world.      All he would need is a U.S. passport, and he would probably only show this on the Mexico side.    It's easy to get a temporary visa to stay beyond seven days, or just go to the airport, and you're right on a flight.     

• Useful 2

I’d like to see Dateline cover the Jim Faith case. It’s similar to other cases they’ve covered but I would love to hear and watch Josh being super shady about how stupid the perps were.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I’d like to see Dateline cover the Jim Faith case. It’s similar to other cases they’ve covered but I would love to hear and watch Josh being super shady about how stupid the perps were.

I didn't recognize the name Jim Faith or recall reading any news about him, so I Googled.  As soon as I read the details, I realized that one of my favorite Youtube true crime channels had just done a recap of the whole case.  Until Dateline gets around to this, you may want to check out "That Channel", which is an Irish guy named Mike who does twice weekly videos on all kinds of cases.  Like I said, he just covered the crazy case of Jim/Jennifer Faith this week. Here is the link:  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/10/2021 at 1:56 PM, patty1h said:

I didn't recognize the name Jim Faith or recall reading any news about him, so I Googled.  As soon as I read the details, I realized that one of my favorite Youtube true crime channels had just done a recap of the whole case.  Until Dateline gets around to this, you may want to check out "That Channel", which is an Irish guy named Mike who does twice weekly videos on all kinds of cases.  Like I said, he just covered the crazy case of Jim/Jennifer Faith this week. Here is the link:  

This is actually how I learned about the case! The other day somehow I came across this video and I don’t even recall how! It is great and I was transfixed. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 1
On 10/10/2021 at 12:43 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

Same! I have a feeling Dateline is on the case. And, you are right - this one's made for Josh.

Edited by Josiemae
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Lsk02 said:

Do we think Dateline will do an episode on Gabby if today’s findings end up being the end of the case? 

I think it was the anniversary special I was watching where someone asked about this, and Keith said he didn't think so since there already so much coverage of it.   

• Useful 3

Identified with dental records.   I hope he suffered before he died.  So, his parents and siblings prove to be worse than I even thought, with their heartless ignoring of Gabby's family, and their total unconcern about their own son's whereabouts.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Identified with dental records.   I hope he suffered before he died.  So, his parents and siblings prove to be worse than I even thought, with their heartless ignoring of Gabby's family, and their total unconcern about their own son's whereabouts.  

I don't know. How "awful" they are is based on a whole lot of speculation.  For a while, there awfulness was based on the theory that he was helping Brian run or didn't turn him in.  There wasn't an arrest warrant out for him when he disappeared,  The assumption was that he was on the run and his parents were helping him but when the FBI started a huge search, I believe they searched in an area where he was eventually found.  It sounds like the conditions for the first search weren't conducive for finding a body but that it dried out. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I won't pretend that I know what, if anything, they know related to the actual case(s), but I can't help but find them awful for not even communicating with Gabby's obviously worried parents before there even was an official case. Even lying would have been better, IMO, than just leaving them hanging.

• Love 5

I just read an article about a Spanish teacher from Iowa in her 60s who was killed by two of her students while she walked in a park.  They knew she was known to walk in that park.

Iowa teens ambushed teacher on her daily walk, dragged her into woods, official says

As a former teacher (not a high school teacher, but still), I can't wrap my brain around the idea that she might have known that two of her students were about to kill her.

Edited by Ohmo

Two teens together can be a dangerous thing, even if one starts to have second thoughts the other will egg him on and it becomes a peer pressure thing, which we know overrides all common sense in some teens. 

I'll never get over those girls in Star, West Virginia who killed their third friend in a rush because they wanted to get it done before church camp.

I doubt if this one will make it to Dateline though because there doesn't seem to be much time spent searching out the perpetrators.  The fools planned it on their social media.

• Love 3

Not sure if this belongs here, but I saw this on the news and thought it had Dateline all over it.

Custody issues are always a mess, but the fact that they put that child in a staircase makes me think they won’t be winning any parenting awards anytime soon. I hope she gets access to the care that she needs now – get the child into therapy as soon as possible.

Oy, meant to post this in general gabbery but my iPad is acting up.

Edited by A.Ham
Wrong thread
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, A.Ham said:

Custody issues are always a mess, but the fact that they put that child in a staircase makes me think they won’t be winning any parenting awards anytime soon. 

In a staircase? Missing but alive? I can't watch a video right now, can you tell me what happened? 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Melina22 said:

In a staircase? Missing but alive? I can't watch a video right now, can you tell me what happened? 

Right—missing but thankfully alive. Apparently bio parents lost custody (no explanation for that was provided). She had been reported missing in 2019. Both bio parents were arrested… A policeman noticed something “odd” about the staircase, in grandfather’s home, no less. Policeman then used the flashlight and noticed a blanket (it’s been very cold over the last couple of days in New York). They had been to the house before but people in the house would deny having seen the child.Not much more was provided.

• Love 1

On our news tonight, Canadian, they started talking about a missing toddler who had been found... and I switched it, because I was certain the sentence was going to end... murdered. I'm happy to hear that wasn't the case. 

• Love 4
(edited)

https://nypost.com/2022/03/04/sherri-papini-charged-with-faking-kidnapping-officials-say/

Sherri Papini charged with faking her own kidnapping, and was shacking up with her ex-boyfriend.     I hope she has to repay all of the donations she took, including $30,000 from the California Crime Victims board.   

This could be an interesting episode, with a short recitation of the original case, the monumental effort that the police, and civilians put into trying to find her, and the resources that were devoted to the investigation, and the search.    

This could be a good episode, discussing what she was really doing.    I wonder how the authorities found out?   Or if the ex ratted her out?   

https://nypost.com/2022/03/05/sherri-papini-paid-debt-with-49000-donated-during-kidnap-hoax/ 

The NY Post always gets the inside information.    The ex-boyfriend is the one that branded her.    Sherri and husband spent almost $50k raised in a Go Fund Me on credit card bills, and other personal items.      Plus, the $30k they received from the Crime Victims' fund.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/4/2022 at 11:55 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

https://nypost.com/2022/03/04/sherri-papini-charged-with-faking-kidnapping-officials-say/

Sherri Papini charged with faking her own kidnapping, and was shacking up with her ex-boyfriend.     I hope she has to repay all of the donations she took, including $30,000 from the California Crime Victims board.   

This could be an interesting episode, with a short recitation of the original case, the monumental effort that the police, and civilians put into trying to find her, and the resources that were devoted to the investigation, and the search.    

This could be a good episode, discussing what she was really doing.    I wonder how the authorities found out?   Or if the ex ratted her out?   

https://nypost.com/2022/03/05/sherri-papini-paid-debt-with-49000-donated-during-kidnap-hoax/ 

The NY Post always gets the inside information.    The ex-boyfriend is the one that branded her.    Sherri and husband spent almost $50k raised in a Go Fund Me on credit card bills, and other personal items.       

I'm genuinely floored at this. This is a thoroughly sick woman to injure herself the way she did to make her story believable--and it's the very reason I believed her despite how odd her story sounded. Had she been in pristine condition it would have been obvious immediately (like those two women who claimed to be lost at sea, another story the show should cover if it weren't giving them the publicity they were so pathetically seeking).

I was reading several articles today which unfortunately I've lost or I would have posted them where a lot of people who've known her for years says that she's lied about everything. Even the boyfriend she was with the whole time says that she told him that her husband was abusive.

Ironically, this isn't too far off from what I suspected really happened--that she willingly snuck off to meet a lover, only to be genuinely held prisoner when he turned violent and that she invented the two attackers out of fear that she'd be blamed or disbelieved because of the affair.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Ok, so here is a case that Dateline probably wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole but is interesting none the less.  Unfortunately, I'm at work so don't have the newspaper with the names but there is a case here in New York in which a woman's torso was found dumped in the trash on the street.   Some days later, a guy found a leg dumped in the trash at another location.   The police had CCTV images of a woman leaving the scene where the torso was found.   So the police followed the trail and it turned out that the "woman" is really a man (who at the moment is apparently transgender and using the pronoun "she") and had first been convicted of murder in 1963 for killing his girlfriend.   He was given 20 to Life and was paroled after about 20 years.  He was out of jail for less than a year when he then murdered his then girlfriend.   At this point, you'd think he'd be locked up for life but this is New York.... so he was released from jail again and now murdered the latest victim.  

The current victim was a woman who once came from a solid background but who started having mental illness issues in her 50s and became estranged from her family.  She wound up homeless but recently moved into an apartment in a new building that mostly houses LGBTQ folks but had a lottery for an apartment for a homeless person.   She apparently met the killer through social media but so far, the paper I read (NY Daily News) hasn't been clear on what their exact relationship was.   And oh yeah, before I forget, there was the  really gruesome detail of her head being found in a plastic bag in the killer's apartment.    

• Love 1

I live in Brooklyn and, of course, heard about the torso story.  Don't forget to mention that the murderer is 83 years old.  Did you see a pic of the murderer?  Oooof - spitting image of ET the Extraterrestrial in a wig!  I have my doubts about Dateline covering this case but I would love to see Andrea Canning in her heels or Keith Morrison in a sweater walking through the streets of East New York, Brooklyn interviewing folks involved in this story.  brooklyn-body-parts-1-XdukAh-279x300.jpe

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Ok, so here is a case that Dateline probably wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole but is interesting none the less.  Unfortunately, I'm at work so don't have the newspaper with the names but there is a case here in New York in which a woman's torso was found dumped in the trash on the street.   Some days later, a guy found a leg dumped in the trash at another location.   The police had CCTV images of a woman leaving the scene where the torso was found.   So the police followed the trail and it turned out that the "woman" is really a man (who at the moment is apparently transgender and using the pronoun "she") and had first been convicted of murder in 1963 for killing his girlfriend.   He was given 20 to Life and was paroled after about 20 years.  He was out of jail for less than a year when he then murdered his then girlfriend.   At this point, you'd think he'd be locked up for life but this is New York.... so he was released from jail again and now murdered the latest victim.  

The current victim was a woman who once came from a solid background but who started having mental illness issues in her 50s and became estranged from her family.  She wound up homeless but recently moved into an apartment in a new building that mostly houses LGBTQ folks but had a lottery for an apartment for a homeless person.   She apparently met the killer through social media but so far, the paper I read (NY Daily News) hasn't been clear on what their exact relationship was.   And oh yeah, before I forget, there was the  really gruesome detail of her head being found in a plastic bag in the killer's apartment.    

If she’s transgender and using “she,” she’s a woman, not a “woman.” This case sounds crazy. Off I go to research it!

Found it! Yikes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10604283/Transgender-killer-seen-sitting-HUMAN-LEG-motorized-wheelchair.html

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

If she’s transgender and using “she,” she’s a woman, not a “woman.” This case sounds crazy. Off I go to research it!

Found it! Yikes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10604283/Transgender-killer-seen-sitting-HUMAN-LEG-motorized-wheelchair.html

Yes, "crazy".  I am usually aware enough to use the correct pronoun if a person considers themselves Transgender but in this case, I think this person is more of a "nut job" than an actual transgender person, hence my quotes. Kind of like when Bob Durst was living in Texas and disguised as a woman.    So if anybody was offended, I offer my apologies as no offense was meant.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, patty1h said:

I live in Brooklyn and, of course, heard about the torso story.  Don't forget to mention that the murderer is 83 years old.  Did you see a pic of the murderer?  Oooof - spitting image of ET the Extraterrestrial in a wig!  I have my doubts about Dateline covering this case but I would love to see Andrea Canning in her heels or Keith Morrison in a sweater walking through the streets of East New York, Brooklyn interviewing folks involved in this story.  brooklyn-body-parts-1-XdukAh-279x300.jpe

Patty1H, you are insulting the beloved ET!   And I would also love to see Andrea Canning or Keith Morrison walking around East New York.  Andrea could be in her heels and that flouncy pink number she wore last week on the boat and the security detail would be discretely out of camera range.   Yes, Dateline viewers, welcome to the old freaky (non-gentrified) New York.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 10/10/2021 at 12:43 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

48 Hours covered this last night. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The only think Papini, and her husband are sorry about is getting caught.     I hate that she wasn't charged with a hate crime for claiming the kidnappers were Latinas, leading to massive pressure to find suspects in that community.  

I've heard estimates of $300,000 for the cost of the local search for her, and she should have to pay that back also.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The only think Papini, and her husband are sorry about is getting caught.     I hate that she wasn't charged with a hate crime for claiming the kidnappers were Latinas, leading to massive pressure to find suspects in that community.  

I'm so sick of criminals pulling the "A (random non-white) person did it" crap.

Did the husband know all along or did he learn or figure it out later? Because he seemed genuinely shaken and horrified by how bruised and battered she was when she was found.

• Love 4

We've been talking embezzlers on the episode thread and it reminded me I've always wanted to see the true story about Brian Malony that the film, "Owning Mahowney" was based on.   He a banker who stole over 10 million from his bank to fund his Atlantic City gambling habit.  The late great Philip Seymour Hoffman was fabulous in it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

We've been talking embezzlers on the episode thread and it reminded me I've always wanted to see the true story about Brian Malony 

Talk about great minds!! I just came over from the other thread to cite this exact case! Owning Mahowney is one of my favourite movies. It gives such insight into the mind of a gambling addict, and how the addiction can lead to embezzlement. 

I'm probably fascinated by the topic because a close family member was a gambler, unbeknownst to any of us for several years, and the methods she used to embezzle thousands of dollars from our family would make a fantastic movie, or Dateline episode. (It involved faking cancer.) 

I think Dateline should do a series on this type of thing. Why does it always have to be about murder? 

Edited by Melina22
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

48 Hours is doing an episode for this fall about the Michael Barisone case, and trial, that concluded yesterday.    I'm betting 20/20, and Dateline will have them also.  (Michael Barisone, two time Olympian in Dressage, or as Stephen Colbert called it Horse Dancing). 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Here is one that might eventually make it to Dateline - very new story : https://nypost.com/2022/04/18/orsolya-gaal-was-stabbed-nearly-60-times-police-sources/

Nice Jewish family living in an upscale neighborhood; very attractive victim.  The 13 year old son was arrested and then released.  Her husband and older son were on the west coast.  I'd say that maybe hubby paid somebody to kill her as he'd have an alibi, but stabbing somebody 60 times is really personal.  A paid killer would probably just shoot her and make it quick.   This is going to be an interesting case. 

That's tonight's episode The Curious Case of Sherri Papini.   I wonder if they'll add the divorce filing to the story? 

I'm wondering if the divorce filing is an attempt to split their finances, and so he looks like a victim of her lies too?    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

That's tonight's episode The Curious Case of Sherri Papini.   I wonder if they'll add the divorce filing to the story? 

I just finished watching it and yes, they did.

• Useful 2
On 4/18/2022 at 3:26 PM, 12catcrazy said:

Here is one that might eventually make it to Dateline - very new story : https://nypost.com/2022/04/18/orsolya-gaal-was-stabbed-nearly-60-times-police-sources/

Nice Jewish family living in an upscale neighborhood; very attractive victim.  The 13 year old son was arrested and then released.  Her husband and older son were on the west coast.  I'd say that maybe hubby paid somebody to kill her as he'd have an alibi, but stabbing somebody 60 times is really personal.  A paid killer would probably just shoot her and make it quick.   This is going to be an interesting case. 

I saw on the the news that the handyman was arrested. Apparently she had had some type of "dalliance" with him. So still a crime of passion, except not by hubby. We'll see if anything else comes up.  

Edited by A.Ham
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

Here's a NY Post article about the arrest, and more about the crime.   I find it despicable that the P.I. researching the case for the public defender office assigned to the case, was asking neighbors how to contact the victim's family.  

https://nypost.com/2022/04/22/new-evidence-defense-details-emerge-in-orsolya-gaal-slay-case/

You go through the victim's attorney, not harass grieving relatives.   It's not as if the relatives of the victim are going to talk to the defense staff anyway, and they don't have to.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3

So does anybody think the Vicky White/Casey White case is going to wind up on Dateline?  That woman must have had some kind of serious Bonnie and Clyde fantasy.  I guess the cops weren't going to take her alive in any case.  

• Love 4

I think the Vicky White/Casey White story will hit this show, the other two primetime news shows, and the cable crime documentary shows.    What irritates me is how long the woman kept up her relationship with a prisoner, and no one did anything. 

• Love 6

Court TV is covering the Pike County murders, or Ohio Massacre as they're calling it now.  Eight people murdered in their sleep over custody of a baby girl.  It's not far from where I live and if I thought Dateline was covering it I would go down and see if I could spot Keith or Josh.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Is there no Primetimer thread for the Idaho murders?  What do you all think?  

It's not a TV show but it likely will get covered by Dateline at some point because it's so high profile. 

• Like 1