Type keyword(s) to search

Crimes You'd Like To See On Dateline: Calling Keith Morrison!

cooksdelight
  • Start Topic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2017/09/04/i-think-i-did-it-man-tells-911-he-took-cold-medicine-woke-up-to-find-wife-stabbed-to-death/

In a disturbing 6½-minute call, made just after 1 a.m. Friday, Matthew Phelps, 28, appears to confess to killing his 29-year-old wife, Lauren Phelps, Raleigh police said.

“I had a dream and then I turned on the lights and she’s dead on the floor,” the man says. “Um, I have blood all over me and there’s a bloody knife on the bed and I think I did it.” Phelps also said he took cough medicine before he went to bed.

Matthew Phelps worked at a lawn service company and had studied missions and evangelism at Clear Creek Baptist Bible College in Pineville, Ky.. He was studying to be a pastor while Lauren Phelps was a Sunday school teacher.

They were only married in November. 

According to their page on a wedding website, Matt Phelps reconnected with Lauren Hugelmaier after recognizing her on Instagram as a girl he had a crush on in middle school.

Source. That has "Dateline" written all over it.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Crime Watch Daily featured this story today.

Oh, I will have to watch it. Always DVR the show. Hope you Don’t think I am stalking you cause I am. Lol I always read your posts because I love your comments. By the way, any updates on the serial killer Pm Hupp?

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

Oh, I will have to watch it. Always DVR the show. Hope you Don’t think I am stalking you cause I am. Lol I always read your posts because I love your comments. By the way, any updates on the serial killer Pm Hupp?

I DVR Crime Watch Daily, too!  I am a glutton for punishment.  ;-)

Pam Hupp's murder trial has been postponed until Sept. 11, 2018.  Also, the medical examiner in her mother's death has changed the manner of death from accidental to undetermined.  That's all I've got.  I keep expecting to read something about a jailhouse shanking, though.

• Love 5

Crime Watch Daily is where I learned of this case, today! My husband loves the show and he couldn’t work today due to the snow and ice (He’s building a deck and handicapped ramp for an elderly lady) so he had changed the channel in time.

• Love 3
On 1/26/2018 at 11:58 PM, Ohmo said:

GMTA. I just came to post this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2018/02/02/i-wanted-to-roll-his-head-cousin-of-murdered-billionaire-says-in-bizarre-tv-interview/

Kerry Winter, the cousin of the Canadian billionaire who was murdered with his wife in their mansion in December, gave a wide-ranging interview to a television network this week, in which he spoke about acrimony between the two, admitted to fantasies about killing his cousin, and failed a lie-detector test after claiming that the murdered man had asked him to kill his wife decades ago.

The interview, with the Canadian public broadcaster CBC, comes about two months after Barry Sherman, founder of the pharmaceutical company Apotex, and his wife, Honey Sherman, were found dead in their mansion on Dec. 15. Police found the two on their pool deck, hanging from belts tied to a railing in a “semi-seated position,” reports said.

• Love 1

Yes, we need Keith to explain the love triangle between the three men ( or is it two men and a woman?) and how such a relationship could have possibly "gone sour," and then we need Josh to grimace in disgust as he explains how the billionaire couple managed to have been found "hanging in a seated position."

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, hoosiermom said:

[to Walnutqueen] Hope you Don’t think I am stalking you cause I am.

You'll have to fight my husband for her Hoosiermom.  Every time I'm reading this board he says, " Just tell me what Walnutqueen is saying. "

• Love 4

The "like" function  is in a new spot on the far right.

There are so many cases, I dont see why they have to repeat and overlap. Sometimes I see the same ones over and over and so recently that I remember all the details. There are plenty who dont get any attention. I'd like to see more of those.

• Love 2
On 2/10/2018 at 1:40 PM, ari333 said:

The "like" function  is in a new spot on the far right.

There are so many cases, I dont see why they have to repeat and overlap. Sometimes I see the same ones over and over and so recently that I remember all the details. There are plenty who dont get any attention. I'd like to see more of those.

AMEN

• Love 1

I'm sure all of the true crime shows are tripping over themselves to get the scoop on the story of Chris Watts, husband and father who pleaded on TV for the safe return of his missing wife and daughters, then it turns out he murdered them all.  This is a textbook Dateline/48 Hours/ID Discovery story.  While reading about this story I learned the new term for this kind of criminal -- family annihilator. 

Edited by patty1h
changed daughter to daughters
  • Love 3
On 8/16/2018 at 3:30 PM, patty1h said:

I'm sure all of the true crime shows are tripping over themselves to get the scoop on the story of Chris Watts, husband and father who pleaded on TV for the safe return of his missing wife and daughters, then it turns out he murdered them all.  This is a textbook Dateline/48 Hours/ID Discovery story.  

I hadn't even heard anything about this story until the revelation this week that he was the one who killed them, so it's all very new for me. But yeah, that was my immediate thought, too, when I saw the headline (which, I admit, is a rather sad place for one's mind to instinctively go upon hearing that kind of tragic news). We'll definitely be seeing an episode about this case at some point down the line, for sure. 

While reading about this story I learned the new term for this kind of criminal -- family annihilator. 

Yep. There's been quite a few notable cases involving family annihilators over the years :/. Those cases are always particularly haunting. 

• Love 3

Dateline was the first thing I thought of when this story hit the news.  And when the formally "loving husband and father"'s lawyer wanted DNA from the childrens's throats, I said to my companion,  "I'll bet the scumbag is going to say the wife murdered the kids" and again, I was right.  And if anybody believes that story I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

• Love 7

There have been other family annihilator cases shown on the documentaries before, and John List certainly leads the parade, but Bradford Bishop (killed family and took off for the North Carolina backwood, many good sightings of him in Europe over the years by former neighbors,), and now this jerk, Chris Watts is so disgusting I can't even say what I'd like to do to him.     

The other night on Crime & Justice on HLN with Ashleigh Banfield, Watts previous male lover called in and talked to Ashleigh for a majority of the show.    I wonder who the current one at work is, but rumor has it that the police know who, and are talking to them, and that's why there is no information on the name so far.    I wondering how many current and ex lovers he had, and if they'll all come forward and tell the police what they know.    At least the victims were buried in North Carolina, and their murderer couldn't petition to go to the services.     Chris Watts better hope he never gets in the general population when he gets to regular prison, because prisoners hate child killers.   

That Linda Thomas case is wild.    I know defense attorneys are supposed to try any defense, but claiming a long planned first degree murder was a 'tragic accident' is pushing it, and the victim's husband having to wrestle for the gun with the killer is horrifying.   That is the most pre-planned event since the Normandy invasion.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

"The incident followed a long custody dispute over Grant Hayes’s two oldest children"

There's those magic words again.  I'm starting to think "follow the custody" is the new "follow the money."

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I think it was What Lies Beneath where the wife's sister is crying about the jail sentence, lamenting "How can they do that?  She didn't even have her hand on the gun!".  Newsflash, dummy - when someone conspires to kill their husband, it doesn't matter who pulled the trigger.  It's still Conspiracy to Commit Murder, and your sister is exactly where she deserves to be - in JAIL.

Evil Lives Here was pretty brutal.  I hate hearing about these absolutely horrific childhoods people have to suffer through.  Makes my own childhood traumas pale in comparison (and puts my "Monster" of a step-daddy in perspective).

ETA - Big whoops!  I meant to post this in the General True Crimes forum.  Shit for brains!  ;-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 4

After two years, police have finally arrested four people for the murders of eight family members  in Ohio. The four Wagners are arrested for murder but also arrested for involvement in the crime are the two grandmothers of young Jake Wagner, baby-daddy of a child in the Rhoden family.  Yep eight people died over yet another custody dispute.

Here.

• Love 1

Wagner was also charged with unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, for allegedly having a relationship with Rhoden when she was 15 and he was 20, according to the indictment.

Ick. 

Man. What a horrifying story. 

• Love 2

Shannan Watts family finally gave a statement to the press, and it's heartbreaking.      I also saw an interview on Ashleigh Banfield's HLN show with a previous lover of Chris Watts, some man.    The local authorities weren't interested in talking to him until after the interview aired, because apparently the current girlfriend was already talking to the police.     I know it's hard to go against what your child says, but Chris Watts' family's statements about his horrible excuses were despicable and trashing the victims. and certainly didn't help the entire situation at all.     

I find the girlfriend's story ridiculous too, since it was proven that she was googling the heck out of Shannan (spelling) and the family situation.     As the above posting says, the woman knew he had a wife and kids, and you can't tell me she didn't know about all of the online postings the wife put out.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I will be curious to read all of the details on Jacob Patterson, the guy who abducted Jayme Closs.   From some other boards, they're portraying him as an "incel", a term created to describe a male who is celibate and is angry at women for not recognizing his worthiness.  Also, it was found that Patterson's brother is a registered sex offender and the father has cut both of these sons out of his life.  So this guy thinks he "deserves" a female of his own, so he plots out the murder of the parents and takes this child to some remote cabin.   It's like this guy resorted to caveman philosophy - find a woman, conk her on the head and drag her to his cave to be his cook and for sex.  Every female in those rural areas should be on alert if that's how the men are handling their lack of companionship.

I'm thankful that Jayme escaped with no physical harm, and that she gets help to get her through the trauma she has suffered.   Jacob Patterson can burn.

• Love 5

I'm questioning the statement that Jacob Patterson has no record.    I'm betting he either has a juvenile record, or they did some diversion to keep his record clear.     The news also said that the cabin was owned by the father, and he gave it back to the bank right before the murders, and kidnapping happened.    I find the father claiming that he had nothing to do with either son less than credible, because how else would the son know that his father was never going to the cabin again?   So the son could figure that no family will come by the cabin, and that no one else will come there either, since foreclosed on places can sit for years before the bank does anything about cleaning them out, or selling them.    

The Incels with the dragging women back to be the house slave very reminiscent of the biathlete Kari Swenson, who was shot and was going to be dragged back to some shack by a father and son team a long time ago.   A friend looking for Swenson was killed, she was shot, and left chained to a tree next to her dead friend.     The father and son were captured, the son only served about 15 years, and has been in and out of trouble for years since, the father who was the mastermind of it was released about 2 years ago.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4