Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

30 For 30

16 hours ago, Ottis said:

I moved to Indiana in the early 90s, and as an outsider my perception of Knight going in was that he was an asshole. I knew that he won, but I would see his antics on TV or read about them in newspapers and think, "What a jerk." After moving to Indiana my exposure to Knight coverage increased, and I would see him in press conferences being an ass to reporters who asked decent questions. "Why the hell do those reporters put up with that?" I would ask.  I never, ever understood why so many people in that state loved him. Winning doesn't excuse the behaviors everyone saw, much less the ones that were uncovered and forced him out. BTW, Bob Knight is what made me a Purdue fan.

Since then, nothing Knight has said or done has shown any remorse or understanding that what he did was wrong. I've long since left Indiana but visit from time to time. There are many people there who still love him. Wonder what they think of this 30 for 30? 

I think fans will forgive rude behavior from a coach as long as he wins. Nick Saban was rude to a reporter on national television and Alabama fans made excuses for him. I think Bob Knight's record made the state look good so fans looked the other way.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:23 PM, kathyk24 said:

I think fans will forgive rude behavior from a coach as long as he wins. Nick Saban was rude to a reporter on national television and Alabama fans made excuses for him. I think Bob Knight's record made the state look good so fans looked the other way.

I see Saban and Knight as entirely different examples. Saban can freeze you out or be brusque. This 30 on 30 showed Knight aggressively approaching reporters during press conferences, shouting at them and questioning their ability. When I lived in Indiana, I saw more examples of this behavior from Knight on local broadcasts, and wondered why reporters didn't push back. I guess Knight was so big there that to push back might mean being frozen out, but still. It was collective Hoosier Hysteria I guess.

I wasn’t really interested in the Deion 30 for 30 until the end of the ad when he said something like “it was supposed to be fun for me...but it wasn’t.”  Sold!

Deion's Double Play

A look at Pro Football Hall of Famer Deion Sanders, focusing especially on a 24-hour span in 1992 when he sandwiched an NFL game between a pair of Major League Baseball postseason games in cities separated by 1,000 miles.

Original air date: 1/31/19

• Like 1

Seau

Long before Junior Seau finally hung up his NFL spikes for good, he was a legend. Seau had everything an athlete could ever want: the adoration of millions, the admiration of his peers, the love of a beautiful family, and a sense of purpose beyond the playing field. And yet, on May 2nd, 2012, at the age of 43, Seau, alone in his bedroom at his home in Oceanside, California, shot himself in the heart. He left no suicide note, offering no clear answers to why he'd take his own life. Now, Seau, a searing, revealing portrait of the Hall of Famer's life and death, seeks those answers, exploring his remarkable path out of an immigrant Samoan family to NFL stardom, and the many complications that ensued through two decades spent at the heart of a brutal and unforgiving game. Directed by Kirby Bradley, Junior Seau's tale of one of modern football's great icons, with a tragic end still reverberating through the sports world all these years later.

Original air date: 4/16/19

The Dominican Dream

"The Dominican Dream" is a portrait of the Dominican immigrants of New York in the '80s and '90s, seen through a loving family whose youngest son, Felipe Lopez, became the top ranked high school basketball player in the nation and was hailed as "The Dominican Michael Jordan." Embraced as an immigrant hero, then cast aside as an American failure, Felipe Lopez would eventually find happiness not as a basketball player, but as the man he was always meant to be.

Original air date: 4/30/19