Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/12/15

buffynut
  • Start Topic

And she could always do a food segment whenever they have time to fill and can't find guests.

Reading this reminded me to comment on a show last week (the week before?) where the fabulous Sherri Shepherd, star of television, movies, wig shops, shopping TV, court cases, etc. hosted a segment where Mario and Raven were making macaroni and cheese dishes--a competition.  It was pretty funny watching Sherri try to wrangle/rush these two and keep the segment going in the time allowed.  I KNOW she couldn't have related to her stoopid "comedy" antics the times she "cooked" on the show.

• Love 7
MzTori77 last week Raven was saying that she will not hire someone with a wacky name..... and she used the name Watermelondria to support her judgmental views.  She got smacked down on Twitter for her views of bigotry

To be fair, Raven didn't come up with that name...or the concept.  Her comments were made when the show played part of a silly YouTube clip from Top 60 Ghetto Black Names (created by two teen boys) and discussion ensued.  That video is from 2009 but copied/parodied all over the 'net.  "Watermelondrea," is Name #12.  I got the impression Raven meant she wouldn't hire, say, a PR assistant who would have to leave her name (Watermelondrea), Raven's name, and number.  Raven continues to take the heat.  She's learning.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 5

I like Top Chef, so I already kinda liked Padma. And I like that essay she wrote about her scar and being proud of it.

I hate Lena Dunham. I think Girls is off the wall terrible, I think she got where she is because of her parents (whatever, happens in every industry) but her writing is so unbelievably amateur. I've heard way better in writing workshops (and yes, I think my blog is way better than anything she does but whatever, I can freely admit real talented writers like David Sedaris and Tina Fey are way better than me, so don't think I'm delusional haha) so I was glad that Michelle pointed Lena thrives off attention of any kind. It's just so annoying. Go away Lena.

I'd rather someone have a "ghetto" name than like a popular typical name with just a fucking weird spelling. haha.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 7

It's all well and good that Ana Navarro slapped down Coulter, but the truth is, Navarro has made a career out of being a convenient woman of Central American origin that the Republican party trots out on occasion to show how progressive it is. Which is fine when your nominees are McCain and Romney - neither of whom I would want to be president, but both of whom I count as fundamentally decent people. And as the barbarians storm the GOP gate, they are less likely to care about this. Her party has made a nasty, nativist turn.

I dont find Navarro particularly insightful and she would not be invited on Sunday talk shows or to co-host The View of it weren't for her vaguely defined role as "adviser" to GOP candidates. And it's all well and good for her to go after Coulter - who most of America view as an extremist troll - but what does she have to say about her party? Nothing, because as the old saying goes, you gotta dance with the girl who brung ya.

• Love 12

I hate Lena Dunham. I think Girls is off the wall terrible, I think she got where she is because of her parents (whatever, happens in every industry) but her writing is so unbelievably amateur. I've heard way better in writing workshops (and yes, I think my blog is way better than anything she does but whatever, I can freely admit real talented writers like David Sedaris and Tina Fey are way better than me, so don't think I'm delusional haha) so I was glad that Michelle pointed Lena thrives off attention of any kind. It's just so annoying. Go away Lena.

I cannot stand her either. I just don't understand her appeal at all.  And for some crazy reason if you say you don't like her people think you are disliking her because she isn't your standard pretty girl.  No, I dislike her because I don't find her interesting. 

• Love 15

Raven wasn't EVEN expecting AC to bring up the Watermelondria thing. lol

Remember, Raven - You only get to pretend you can go head-to-head with people. Ann Coulter is a professional bully with years of experience.

Cant stand AC, but that is funny.

Speaking of the name thing, it reminds me of that joke or story about the twins named "OrangeJello" and "LemonJello" except the hilarious part is the pronunciation of "Or-RON-jah-lo " and "Leh-MON-jah-lo."

I'll see myself out.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 10

I know it's not right to hate people intensely, but my hate for Ann Coulter knows no bounds. She has made a career out of spewing hate and false information. I wish the View ladies had not been talking over each other and some piercing comments could have made toward her. Joy held off, because apparently she gets along with her (like Bill Maher) somehow, although I can't possibly see how they could tolerate her in any way. Padma tried to get in some cogent points, but it was hard to hear her. The She-Beast (thanks to whoever brought up that name) just rolls right along with her stupid, extremely insulting, incorrect immigration comments. Ohhh, my blood pressure is rising...must quit now.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 8

• Seriously, a Snookie sex-act conversation stretched out to an intolerable length, then brought up again w/ a guest? Everybody to their room w/out dinner.

Love Alan Alda, what a contrast to Coulter.

Lots of wasted time today, but still prefer Joy over Whoopi. Surprised Joy seemed not to realize Cosby Show taken off air due to scandal, unlike other shows off the air. MJW seemed taken aback by her comment, too.

Raven Raven Raven. Nice set-up for a Coulter slap-down.

Edited by SunFun
  • Love 6

As far as I am concerned Coulter is the female version of Trump. And I loved her comments to Raven. Man, Raven was pissed off and did you guys see all her hand signals during the rest of the segment signalling WTH? The only surprise was AC was not wearing black.

I really liked Padma today...wish they would bring her on board full time.

Does Michelle ever have anything meaningful to say?

I think the Trump/Carson demands are very childish - if only because there will be twice as many contenders on than were on stage for the DNC Debate. They want as little time as possible to debate, glad they are intimidated.

Wish they would have actually talked about Koko. She is the "signing" gorilla and asked the handler to put a kitty on her head! Good grief leave it to Raven to ruin a fascinating video. Especially since she spends so much time on her crappy viewing habits.

Joy did a great interview with Alda! Raven not so much with Malcom and why did she make it more about herself than him? But I am relieved to know the Cosby Show was a scripted sitcom and not a reality show. I had no idea!

• Love 11

Reading this reminded me to comment on a show last week (the week before?) where the fabulous Sherri Shepherd, star of television, movies, wig shops, shopping TV, court cases, etc. hosted a segment where Mario and Raven were making macaroni and cheese dishes--a competition.  It was pretty funny watching Sherri try to wrangle/rush these two and keep the segment going in the time allowed.  I KNOW she couldn't have related to her stoopid "comedy" antics the times she "cooked" on the show.

Funny :)

• Love 2
I really liked Padma today...wish they would bring her on board full time.

Yeah, she and Joy have about 30 IQ points on everybody else on this show.   I think that's what is missing, the ability to intelligently discuss something, after giving it some thought.  

Paula might be smart as well, I'm not sure.   I don't know much about her,  the others seem annoyed by her and they ignore her or sometimes treat her like she's a child.  

Paula, Joy and Padma  would be an interesting group. 

• Love 9

Today's show was interesting, but I felt it was way too rushed considering the guests they had on.  Usually I'm not very interested in Malcolm Jamal Warner, but his recent comments about the Cosby scandal should have been explored more completely.  Alan Alda is always a gem and should have been given more time.  Why no clip from the final "Mash" episode? And, of course Ann Coulter...the woman is such a whack-job, and I love to hear her inane comments and theories to watch her bury herself.

Also, The View now has 6, count 'em - 6, co-hosts.  We know Whoopi wouldn't be there on a Friday, and CCB is off doing her thing wherever (and can stay there), but where was Paula today?  Six co-hosts and they can get only 3 to show up?  Thank God, again and again, for Joy.  She saves this show whenever she's on, and shines as Moderator.  Luv her!

• Love 9

"PONTUS." Oh, Raven. And did she say, "John Loo-wig-ahzahmo?" And gorillas are not monkeys.

The name thing reminded me of Brian Regan who said he wanted to change his name to Brian... B-R-I-... the number 7 and the letter Q. Poor, unemployable-by-Raven, hypothetical person, Watermelondrea. Cant they call her Mel, or Lon, or Drea so she could get a job? [/snerk] I'm afraid that Raven is approaching the earth is flat -Sherri territory.

I, too, love Joy as mod.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 11

Paula, Joy and Padma  would be an interesting group. 

I know this is a weekly topic, but I'd love this to be the panel. I'm not sure who the fourth could be since I'm not especially fond of any of the options. I don't think Raven will live to see another season; she doesn't seem to enjoy the political side of the show that came with Joy or being called out for comments/behavior on Twitter and other media. With Whoopi also likely to be gone, I think Sherri returning might be inevitable since they definitely need to have at least one African American on the panel and they haven't found anyone better (ain't that a sad state of affairs).

• Love 5

Wow, that Ann Coulter smack down of Raven was awesome! "My mommy said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything ... so, Ann why are you such a bitch?" haha that was basically what Raven asked her.  Oh, yeah, Ann Coulter is just going to fall apart and die of shame because Raven Symone' called her a meanie!  Is that what Raven expected?

Uhm, no. Instead, Coulter gave Raven Symone' a much-deserved  swirlie!  She could not have done a better job if she had reached over there and cuffed the brat one across her impertinent little chops.  Since Raven's extremely self-satisfied (but poorly thought out) little "question" was nothing but a thinly-veiled insult to Coulter to begin with,  I am glad Ann focused her response on Raven's hypocrisy.  Her clever choice of retort made me hate Ann's guts just one teenie, tiny bit less.  

Well played, Ms. Coulter, well played!!

• Love 23

Oh, please, MJW. Cosby is not the only black man or black person to be extremely talented and successful in showbiz. Sheesh. "Now we have lost that." And whose fault is that, Malcolm?  Sounds like he lost his check and he's steamed.   

• Love 14

For eons I avoided the Friday broadcasts, because they were taped & lacked topical tepid topics - now I have to re-train myself to tune in especially on Fri., just because St. Joy :) can elevate the conversation to bearable in most cases + I enjoy her political segments. And not to be too negative, but no Whoppi!!  TGIJoyday!

• Love 9

Oh, please, MJW. Cosby is not the only black man or black person to be extremely talented and successful in showbiz. Sheesh. "Now we have lost that." And whose fault is that, Malcolm?  Sounds like he lost his check and he's steamed.   

Darn it, now I regret deleting she show from my DVR the instant I saw the clip of Raven's little mug on The Cosby Show hit the screen.  I figured it was just going to be more of their self-congratulatory, memory lane schmaltz.  Rats.  

It's interesting Whoopie wasn't around for the discussion ... I wonder if  they intentionally scheduled MJW for a day she wasn't going to be there on purpose.  

• Love 3

Darn it, now I regret deleting she show from my DVR the instant I saw the clip of Raven's little mug on The Cosby Show hit the screen.  I figured it was just going to be more of their self-congratulatory, memory lane schmaltz.  Rats.  

It's interesting Whoopie wasn't around for the discussion ... I wonder if  they intentionally scheduled MJW for a day she wasn't going to be there on purpose.  

I know, right? Why was HIS clip all about HER singing and being oh so effing cute? Im tired of Raven at three.... and other ages.

• Love 12

The video of Ann Coulter's Raven smack down is buried in The View's Facebook "Visitor Posts".  For those of you who missed it:

http://www.mixphiladelphia.com/onair/chio-54425/ann-coulter-slams-raven-symone-on-14042132/

Edited to add:  Did anyone else think that Padma sounded loaded (or something)?

This clip is a little better in terms of sound quality. I didn't think Padma sounded or seemed loaded.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ann-coulter-stuns-raven-symone-into-silence-with-watermelondrea-reminder/

• Love 1

The video of Ann Coulter's Raven smack down is buried in The View's Facebook "Visitor Posts".  For those of you who missed it:

http://www.mixphiladelphia.com/onair/chio-54425/ann-coulter-slams-raven-symone-on-14042132/

Thanks for posting the link. I also don't like Ann Coulter, but the speed in which she came back at Raven was fun to watch, especially when Raven was left speechless.  

I almost watched today. In fact, I turned the show on about 10 minutes late, saw 2 people I didn't know, and turned it off.

• Love 1
I don't think Raven is very smart & is really not self aware or educated in the basics.  For Gawd's sake, she can't even read off a Teleprompter!!

Whoopi acts like...oops!  That's about Raven, not Whoopi.  My bad.

• Love 5

Whoopi acts like...oops!  That's about Raven, not Whoopi.  My bad.

It does seem to be all about Raven today, doesn't it? Well, it's her own fault.  She really just kept stepping in it ... 

I don't know why the hell she got so bent out of shape over people liking the Koko with the kittens clip. WTF? People can't like kittens any more? Are the horrors of the world all we are allowed to respond to now?  Oy vey!  Let me tell you something, Raven ... some days a good kitten meme is all that gets me though a day of dealing with the horrors of the world, okay?  So back off from kittens, you self-important little twit.

And she flipped out when the Donald Trump debate footage mistakenly popped up when they went to show the Koko clip, exclaiming "don't come for us on instagram!!! that was a glitch!!!" She needs to friggin' relax.  Nobody thought it was done on purpose. She seems way too focused on the criticism she and the show are receiving.  Maybe if she focused more on doing a better job, she wouldn't get ragged on so damn much.

• Love 10

The Cosby cast and writers are out of touch with reality. I guess they are too close to the situation, like the family of a serial killer (because Cosby IS Ted Bundy). Cosby built up the legacy, then he ruined it. It should have been ruined a lot sooner and not even started. Get over it. It's disrepectful to the victims and their family to complain about a fucking tv show.

Raven can stick around until she dishes about Amanda Bynes. She's GOT to know some tea. And I'm thirsty!

I didn't think Coulter was really that bad today, by her standards. I tolerated her just fine but she really needs a makeover with that still over straightened hair and CHEETAH print.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 5

I thought Ann Coulter came across particularly cruel - and she didn't have an answer for Raven's question.

I do see a difference between them. Raven says a lot of dumb things (that can be hurtful) but I've never got the impression that she goes into them meaning to be hurtful. Anne Coulter breathes nastiness.

• Love 7

I don't like Padma but I'm pretty sure she likes herself enough for both of us.

I agree.  I've always found her boring, and yes, she does seem to have a high opinion of herself.  I just don't see her adding much to this show at all.

And I can't stand AC (I mean, does anyone actually like her??), but I applaud her for coming back at Raven like that.  Raven is a little know-it-all who totally deserved it.  And AC was mild today compared to how she usually is.  Raven needs to open up her mind, and realize that she may have something to learn by listening to other people.  She's so full of herself and her own opinions that it's like watching a little kid who has knowledge of nothing outside of their own experiences.

eta:  I didn't mean that she should learn anything from AC!  My comment was meant in a more general way.

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 6

I don't have a problem with Ann's comments today to Raven. Raven indeed said on the show she would never hire anyone with a "ghetto" name. She (kinda) apologized on facebook or twitter but not on the show where she said it.

Anyone who starts out with Ann "my mother taught me if you can't say something nice....." yet Raven constantly does.

Ann was talking about policy - Raven attacks people for their names. She chose the wrong question from her blue card. Or should have checked it in any event.

BTW - I can't stand Ann but loved her take down today and Raven's childish antics and exasperated and frustrated body language the rest of the segment.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 8

• Seriously, a Snookie sex-act conversation stretched out to an intolerable length, then brought up again w/ a guest? Everybody to their room w/out dinner.
  • Love Alan Alda, what a contrast to Coulter.
  • Lots of wasted time today, but still prefer Joy over Whoopi. Surprised Joy seemed not to realize Cosby Show taken off air due to scandal, unlike other shows off the air. MJW seemed taken aback by her comment, too.
  • Raven Raven Raven. Nice set-up for a Coulter slap-down.

Joy knows very well why the Cosby Show was taken off the air.  Her point was that lots of shows are taken off the air for one reason or another.  That's show biz!   Clearly, they're unhappy about that particular gravy train ending, but that's too bad.  They have long reaped the benefits of continuing careers because they were on that show, not to mention the years & years of residuals that they received.  Shows come & go.  The real victims of Bill Cosby's disgusting, immoral behavior (the ones who actually have something to complain about) are the women he victimized.  

And how annoying that the clip they showed (which should have featured the guest, MJW) was all about Raven!  And then we get to see her acting all embarrassed and giggly.  That was ridiculous because he actually seemed like an interesting guy with some well-thought-out things to say, and that nonsense cut into his segment time.  

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 15

talking about the Cosby show, Raven  uses her most-serious voice to tell us "let us not forget that the Cosby show was a sitcom, and not a reality show. A sitcom- Let's just remember, we had writers, and things of that nature."

WOW, Raven how profound!

Yes,  Bill Cosby is the rapist-actor who played Dr.Huxtable on TV.  The allegations still damage the legacy of the show.   The show was a good one, and it's a real shame that a show with positive messages for Black families  cannot be separated from the name.  But it was COSBY  SHOW, not "here come the Huxtables".

• Love 13

talking about the Cosby show, Raven  uses her most-serious voice to tell us "let us not forget that the Cosby show was a sitcom, and not a reality show. A sitcom- Let's just remember, we had writers, and things of that nature."

WOW, Raven how profound!

Yes,  Bill Cosby is the rapist-actor who played Dr.Huxtable on TV.  The allegations still damage the legacy of the show.   The show was a good one, and it's a real shame that a show with positive messages for Black families  cannot be separated from the name.  But it was COSBY  SHOW, not "here come the Huxtables".

Yes, that's my "favorite" kind of thing that she does.  She talks down to people, totally serious, and says the most ridiculous things.  

She really seems to have no awareness that the world existed before she was born, and that being "young" and "in the industry" doesn't make her hipper, smarter, and more savvy than everyone else.

Can she please take a day off?  And can it be soon?

• Love 10

Wait! Cosby was a sitcom?? Bill Cosby isn't like Cliff Huxable? Oh! That's right! We already knew that! And, wasn't Claire a lawyer? If it was a reality show, Claire would have been spending all her time trying to keep Cliff from raping more women.

• Love 10

Even Raven-Symone (hyphenated and with a ') seems to work WITH Malcolm JALMAL Warner and KEISHA - but she would never, ever, ever hire anyone with a "ghetto name". Or anyone of any age like her older co-stars or, I don't know - Oprah?

Raven can't even understand what a real value to the country the show portrayed AT THE TIME, and many years in syndication, and tries to say it wasn't a reality show.

I'm not expressing this well, sorry.

MJW 176 episodes, Keisha 177, Raven 63. RS was on for 3 of the 8 years from age 3-6.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 1

And it's so tasteless to talk about the chemistry between a serial rapist and a 3 year old girl. I mean, this is why no one watches this show. It's fucked up with idiots in charge.

• Love 4

I am glad people have brought up the interview with Malcolm Jamal Warner again.  I posted before that I missed the interview with him ... well, Don Lemon just did a big segment on him being on the show today.  Very interesting. So interesting that I actually tracked down a full clip of MJW talking about The Cosby Show for those who also missed it http://www.thewrap.com/malcolm-jamal-warner-clarifies-stance-on-cosby-show-legacy/

One of the panelists on Lemon ripped Michelle for waving her hand in the air trying to cut off MJW and asking everyone to "move on" just when he was making some really important points.  After watching, I simply cannot believe Michelle did that.   MJW was delving into the impact of the show on African Americans and Michelle just put a stop to the whole discussion.  It was so messed up.   Not only was it rude as hell, it was also frustrating and disappointing and completely unnecessary.  I really wanted to hear what he was saying.  Joy apparently did, too, because she sort of shrugged and gave Michelle a "why?" response.  But Michelle immediately shifted the topic to whatever show MJW is now doing.  Couldn't that have waited?  How could anyone think that was a more interesting topic than the Bill Cosby and The Cosby Show and the cover of Ebony that just came out?  The mind just boggles.

So was someone screaming at Michelle through her earpiece to change the subject or something?  Why??? Did she take it upon herself to end the most interesting discussion on the entire show today unilaterally?  Who the hell is calling the shots on this miserable show?  Do they have any idea what a scoop they had on their hands when Malcolm Jamal Warner was willingly participating in a discussion like that? 

This show just doesn't deserve to be on the damn air. 

• Love 12

I didn't watch, I rarely do? I try, but often fail even with Joy back. When they get rid of Whoopie and find a chemistry that consistently works, maybe then...

Why was MJW on this show? What was he trying to promote?

And were they really talking about how it was a shame that The Cosby Show was taken off the air?

And why did Raven have to remind anyone that the show wasn't a reality show?

I just don't get why they are talking about the show at all. 

• Love 2

Why was MJW on this show? What was he trying to promote?

The clip I saw (and posted the link to) didn't include that part of his interview, but they mentioned him being on a show.  From the look of his IMDB page, he is appearing in the next American Crime Story that is being filmed.  Is that why he was there? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0912528/

And were they really talking about how it was a shame that The Cosby Show was taken off the air?

I don't think anyone was saying it was a shame the show was off the air as much as questioning what damage the Cosby rape allegations have done to the legacy of the show, and I guess that is where the "isn't it a shame" energy came from.  Just my take on things. 

And why did Raven have to remind anyone that the show wasn't a reality show?

Because she is stupid and says dumb things that add nothing to the conversation? Again, just my take on things.

I just don't get why they are talking about the show at all.

The Cosby Show cast is on the cover of the latest Ebony magazine and the effect of the allegations on the show's legacy is a hot topic ... everywhere else on earth except this show, apparently, that is ... 

eb.jpg.CROP.rtstoryvar-large.jpg

• Love 4