Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

On 10/19/2018 at 9:48 AM, Ohwell said:

I liked the Boston couple, they seemed nice and were not demanding.  And I loved that the guy didn't want white cabinets.  I figured they'd take the first house, the fixer-upper.  I'd like to see more episodes of people with modest budgets looking for houses. 

Those are basically the only eps we watch. Prices less than $500k, generally ($500k is typical in  much of our Denver area), and we prefer it if the prices are less than $300k. We also don't watch any episodes in NYC or Chicago, because cost/size ratio.

The Boston couple STUNNED us. She liked white cabinets, and her cabinets were indeed white, but they were clearly older and not the kind of white cabinets that most buyers insist on. They loved their house for what it is, appreciated it, and didn't seem to think twice about the compromises. That was amazing to watch. 

All these decisions boil down to a couple of questions. 1) is location your primary concern? 2) how much space do you need? Everything else can be fixed later.

• Love 2

The Pittsburgh husband was tall.  I didn't realize how tall until he was standing next to the range and vent hood in the first kitchen, and he seemed to tower over it.  I knew there was no way they were buying the 1st house, but I thought the wife was going to get her way with that horrid row house.  I am not a row house fan, and every time one is featured on HH, I really do feel claustrophobic.  The basement bathroom was very creepy, and it did not look like a warm, inviting place to bathe.  The kitchen looked like something that would be in a rustic camp in the woods, or someplace like that.  The wife kept talking about how cute it was and how charming it was.  I thought it was pretty ugly from the outside, and my opinion didn't change when they toured it.

The 3rd house, which they bought, was the best fit.  What was up with that master bedroom closet?  They were correct that a coat hanger probably wouldn't fit depthwise in that space.  Two shows in a row with handy husbands.  Why do the wives always complain about that?  It could be worse and they could have husbands who don't do anything, and then spend all their spare time golfing, hunting, or fishing and are never home.  I would love to have a handy hubby - as long as he was good at being a handyman, and finished the projects.   

• Love 4

I will never ever understand how people can look at dirty, ugly buildings and exclaim "what a great view". The "great views" in the Pittsburgh episode were among the ugliest views I've ever seen. Dirty rooftops and dirty buildings.  That's not a good view in my opinion. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Yeah, that “closet” was bizarre! ? If one of the extra bedrooms was adjacent to the master, I would use it to create a master suite with a big bathroom and a walk-in closet.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't like the floors in that house. I would want to replace them with something more in line with the character of the house. I have to laugh when houses have 2 bathrooms and one is in a creepy unfinished basement.

• Love 1

I liked the Pittsburgh couple, but I was so scared that they'd pick that awful row house.  I don't have a problem with them, depending on the neighborhood there can be some really nice row houses.  However, that street of row houses looked bad.   I understand gentrification, but at some point commons sense has to rule, so I'm glad they went with the 3rd house.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, laredhead said:

The 3rd house, which they bought, was the best fit.  What was up with that master bedroom closet?  They were correct that a coat hanger probably wouldn't fit depthwise in that space. 

I'd be knocking on the back wall, to check for a hollow sound -- secret room!   Because yeah, that closet made no sense.  We expect small closets in older homes, but nothing like that. 

If there's no hidden space behind the wall, then I'd remove the door and install some shelves. 

I really liked that couple.  They seemed to enjoy each other -- you could see it in their eyes.

• Love 1
On 10/26/2018 at 12:14 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

At one point, the Redmond people were in a small space and he was in her way, I think, and she said, "Could you not?" the way it can be said real snotty.  Okay, I've been known to do that, but not with witnesses! 

That comment seemed very real - in an ugly way.  Like she was showing her true self.  Well, he chose her.

• Love 6
On 10/25/2018 at 4:22 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

the grout they used was very expensive ($200 for a huge tub), but never needs sealing, won't shrink, and will always look great.   

Interesting. Do you recall the brand name and where to buy it??

MsTree, a similar type grout was used for the backsplash in my kitchen a couple of years ago.  The backsplash is a combination of smooth and matte finished glass tile, and the grout is urethane based.  It was expensive, but well worth it for the finished look. I do not remember the name, but it requires a special cleaner (Blaze) to use when wiping the haze from the tiles after the grout is applied.  The installer wore gloves and a mask when cleaning the tile, so the haze remover is strong.  After two years, the tile and grout wipe clean as a whistle in the heavy use areas behind the sink and the range.  The flooring and tile store where I purchased the backsplash sold the grout and haze remover.

Edited by laredhead
added content
  • Love 2

My grout is called FlexColor CQ, and comes in a huge, premixed tub.     I've had the back splashes for just over six months and the grout is still perfect.      The place where I buy tile, also sells carpet, quartz, granite, and all types of tile.    They just finished a huge showroom section with all quartz, and LVP click together too, and it's so nice to see 6' x 6' sections of the different LVP options on the floor.     There were some customers in there walking over the different types of flooring.     It's also much easier to pick quartz from the full slabs they're showing now, instead of from the tiny little samples they had when I bought quartz 10 years ago.       The marble look quartz also has a lot of different veining patterns across the slab, when quartz used to be so repetitive, and phony looking.      

I don't see why house hunters renovation people every use real marble over the lovely, varied quartz patterns that will never stain, or need maintenance.  

• Love 3
On 10/26/2018 at 7:41 PM, laredhead said:

The Pittsburgh husband was tall.  I didn't realize how tall until he was standing next to the range and vent hood in the first kitchen, and he seemed to tower over it.  I knew there was no way they were buying the 1st house, but I thought the wife was going to get her way with that horrid row house.  I am not a row house fan, and every time one is featured on HH, I really do feel claustrophobic.  The basement bathroom was very creepy, and it did not look like a warm, inviting place to bathe.  The kitchen looked like something that would be in a rustic camp in the woods, or someplace like that.  The wife kept talking about how cute it was and how charming it was.  I thought it was pretty ugly from the outside, and my opinion didn't change when they toured it.

The 3rd house, which they bought, was the best fit.  What was up with that master bedroom closet?  They were correct that a coat hanger probably wouldn't fit depthwise in that space.  Two shows in a row with handy husbands.  Why do the wives always complain about that?  It could be worse and they could have husbands who don't do anything, and then spend all their spare time golfing, hunting, or fishing and are never home.  I would love to have a handy hubby - as long as he was good at being a handyman, and finished the projects.   

I agree that the exterior of the row house was really ugly and I don't know why anyone would want their entire house to have narrow rooms.

I have a sister who married a contractor and I am sooo envious. Her house, which was nice to begin with, is now absolutely gorgeous. They've also made a lot of money by buying run down houses, which he completely renovates and they sell them for a big profit. I would NEVER complain about having a handy husband.

23 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I'd be knocking on the back wall, to check for a hollow sound -- secret room!   Because yeah, that closet made no sense.  We expect small closets in older homes, but nothing like that. 

If there's no hidden space behind the wall, then I'd remove the door and install some shelves. 

I really liked that couple.  They seemed to enjoy each other -- you could see it in their eyes.

The wife was concerned that the house was too big, so I'd definitely use one of those secondary bedrooms as a closet. And they were one of the nicest couples I've seen on HH in a while. Their wish list was quite reasonable. I was glad to see better access to the house from the back; otherwise those stairs in front would have been a deal breaker for me. Probably cuts down on Jehovah Witness visits, though. LOL And the house sitting so high did give them a nice view of the street while still maintaining some privacy.

• Love 3

Ready for Battle in Redmond (or is it Bellevue?  Or Kirkland?)  After I recovered from my hissy fit over their playing fast and loose with location, misidentifying those establishing shots that were of completely different towns ... I could get down to business and cyberstalk those houses.  I had a pretty good idea where the first two are, knew almost exactly where the last one is.

The house they bought in Redmond:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/19117-NE-Redmond-Rd_Redmond_WA_98053_M27308-96983#photo8

The first small house they looked at in Bellevue:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16251-NE-2nd-St-Bellevue-WA-98008/48913495_zpid/

The third house they looked at, next to the freeway in Kirkland:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6611-116th-Ave-NE-Kirkland-WA-98033/49002078_zpid/

In the spring when they were house hunting, it was absolutely common for houses here to sell in a week and at considerably above ask (20% was a reasonable estimate).  The move here from the Bay Area for his video game tech job was spot on.

• Love 7

Kirklandia, thank you for finding the 3 houses.  The first one sold in May, and is already relisted at almost $300,000 more than the May sale!  What!  I don't remember enough about it from the episode to see if major remodeling was done to it after it sold in May.  The freeway house has a beautiful yard, but the kitchen looks very small in the listing pictures.  That really is a weird shaped island.  The one they bought has everything they wanted.  I think the yard and outside entertaining spaces are wonderful.   The Pacific northwest has long been one of the places in the U.S. I would love to live, but it looks as though I would have to deplete all of my retirement savings to buy something there.  Oh well, one can dream.

• Love 3

The strange island in house #3 looks like it was built for someone with some type of disability or back issue.  Or maybe someone who is very tall.   Definitely made for a specific reason, not just a design choice.

• Love 1

Atlanta - I think we may have a new winner in the the most annoying House Hunter with sidekick friend. OMG! These girls were beyond annoying. I can’t decide who was more annoying. The house she chose was your typical first townhome that you either live in for a few years or never move. Overall, it’s a good starter home so she can build equity. She only paid $182,000. That’s a great price for a starter home for a young person. It was also Halloween inspired. She likes to decorate her front door. Who doesn’t? 

• Love 6

ByaNose, I realized at the end in the reveal scene that the HH was much easier to take when the friend wasn't with her.  They seemed to feed off of each other and fall into what I call Valley Girl speak and other annoying speech habits when they were with each other.  The buyer was much more normal when she was alone.

I agree about the purchase of a townhouse.  That's how I began my home ownership.  Lived in 3 different ones, moving up in space and price with each one, until I finally bought a detached house with a yard.  I did minimal updates, but sold each one for more than I paid, and slowly built enough equity to afford a large house which I wanted.  She got that townhouse for almost $60,000 under her budget.  She can add lighting, electrical outlets, change floors, and other cosmetic issues over time.  I liked the curtain to replace those metal doors on the washer/dryer closet, and it looked as thought the breakfast bar space in the kitchen became the perfect feeding station for the dog.  I cannot remember the square footage or HOA fees for that place, and I already erased the episode.  Can someone refresh my memory on that? 

• Love 5

What is with this House Hunters Family?  I'm watching reruns this morning while quasi-working.  Maybe I'm just old but I really don't understand including kids, some young kids, on the financial discussions for what you can afford and ostensibly letting the kids make the decision on what house to purchase.  

Sure, the kids should be involved in the looking process but the kids don't pay for the home, they aren't responsible for maintenance and they don't understand things like cost, commute time, etc. 

These house hunters continue to annoy me by acting like a house should be out of consideration due to paint colors on the wall or cabinet colors in the kitchen.  That's something that can be easily changed (paint color) or changed over time (cabinetry.)  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I cannot remember the square footage or HOA fees for that place, and I already erased the episode.  Can someone refresh my memory on that? 

I just finished watching it.  The one she chose was 1288 sq ft.  The HOA was $425 which covered the pool and water.  

The buyer's "winged" eyeliner was so distracting! 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I just finished watching it.  The one she chose was 1288 sq ft.  The HOA was $425 which covered the pool and water.  

The buyer's "winged" eyeliner was so distracting! 

Yes, that eyeliner was distracting, and so unnecessary.  The HOA fee seems high, even if it includes the usual things like pool maintenance, trash pickup, lawn care and snow removal.    

• Love 2

Thanks, Juliet.  I remember now that I thought $425 was a bit steep to cover only pool and water, but then remembered that we never get the entire story on HH, so it probably covered cable TV (basic), garbage pickup, common ground maintenance, and other things like that.  The 3rd one had a very low HOA of just over $100 a month.   

Redmond HH.  I knew all those houses too.  Thank you Kirklandia!.  Two of those houses were owned by people I knew.  That ugly 405 freeway house, the original owner was tall, and had issues after being hit while riding his bike.  The house they purchased was owned at one time by someone who owned an apartment complex next to one of my rental homes in downtown Redmond.  That was a fun one to watch.

• Love 6
On 10/28/2018 at 11:07 PM, kirklandia said:

Ready for Battle in Redmond (or is it Bellevue?  Or Kirkland?)  After I recovered from my hissy fit over their playing fast and loose with location, misidentifying those establishing shots that were of completely different towns ... I could get down to business and cyberstalk those houses.  I had a pretty good idea where the first two are, knew almost exactly where the last one is.

The house they bought in Redmond:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/19117-NE-Redmond-Rd_Redmond_WA_98053_M27308-96983#photo8

The first small house they looked at in Bellevue:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16251-NE-2nd-St-Bellevue-WA-98008/48913495_zpid/

The third house they looked at, next to the freeway in Kirkland:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6611-116th-Ave-NE-Kirkland-WA-98033/49002078_zpid/

In the spring when they were house hunting, it was absolutely common for houses here to sell in a week and at considerably above ask (20% was a reasonable estimate).  The move here from the Bay Area for his video game tech job was spot on.

Thanks for the local info, kirklandia!  Really appreciate it -

No big deal but are you certain about that Bellevue house?  Check out the chimney location, garage / lack thereof and concrete, for starters.  Also, it was flipped after filming / sale but the HH decoy had been recently (apparently) remodeled.  (HH post-production is usually 6 months, minimum.)

Or, did I miss something?  Checked the home's rear photos but that didn't explain the difference.

BTW, they frequently fudge locations, depending on the realtor's decoys v. the selected plot.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

HH definitely had a Halloween theme going last night. Guess it will continue until the 31st.

Weak, wouldn't you guys say?  To me, it felt as if someone noticed the exterior power when reviewing the homes' listing photos and added it to her "wish" list.  (Yes, that's the origin of some of those items.)

If they'd been filming 2 months later, she'd have been whining about either her Christmas tree window or power for her reindeer lights!  Just a hunch, lol.

• Love 3
On 10/29/2018 at 4:00 AM, laredhead said:

Kirklandia, thank you for finding the 3 houses.  The first one sold in May, and is already relisted at almost $300,000 more than the May sale!  What!  I don't remember enough about it from the episode to see if major remodeling was done to it after it sold in May.  The freeway house has a beautiful yard, but the kitchen looks very small in the listing pictures.  That really is a weird shaped island.  The one they bought has everything they wanted.  I think the yard and outside entertaining spaces are wonderful.   The Pacific northwest has long been one of the places in the U.S. I would love to live, but it looks as though I would have to deplete all of my retirement savings to buy something there.  Oh well, one can dream.

Oh, good memory / hunch, laredhead.  (Didn't see your post, previously.)  I believe the flip was another home.  (See above, if interested.)

Have worked frequently in the PacNW and the trade off is tons of rain.  Grab the Wellies!

4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

And the Halloween theme continues - wife is afraid of ghosts.

I would love to know where in Camden County they bought. I think they made the right choice in houses, but they're only dating so....

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

HH definitely had a Halloween theme going last night. Guess it will continue until the 31st.

Were you thinking of Waterloo, Iowa's Emma the hospital chaplain's colorful '80's-style wardrobe, lol?

As an added bonus, partner Shannon was afraid of ghosts.

All those houses were ugly.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, twinks said:

I would love to know where in Camden County they bought. I think they made the right choice in houses, but they're only dating so....

I grew up in Camden County, so every time they gave that as the "location" they were searching, my eyes just about rolled out of my head. Camden County includes both Camden (not a nice place) and Tavistock (super expensive country-club community) within a few miles of each other, and it's not a small county. Based on the location shots (on the river) and the dad's business being in the next town of Merchantville, my guess is that they were looking and bought in the Pennsauken area maybe? A quick look at realtor.com seems to indicate that the style of houses and price range available there would match pretty well what they were seeing. You certainly couldn't get a house for $200,000 in many of the other places in Camden County. But that would also make sense for his commute to Philly, and she could work at Cooper Hospital in Camden. 

• Love 1

Okay, the Camden County couple were different. I’m from the Philly area and Camden isn’t an area where people move to. Most people are fleeing the area. That said, they got a good deal on the house with a fence for their dog. I’m sure they’ll be very happy.

Here’s an article about the couple and the locations they looked at.  According, to the article their search takes them to Collingswood, Oaklyn and Mount Ephraim. I can honestly say I don’t know anything about of these areas. Anyone from southern NJ familiar with them. Are they up and coming? 

Edited by ByaNose
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Okay, the Camden County couple were different. I’m from the Philly area and Camden isn’t an area where people move to. Most people are fleeing the area. That said, they got a good deal on the house with a fence for their dog. I’m sure they’ll be very happy.

Here’s an article about the couple and the locations they looked at.  According, to the article their search takes them to Collingswood, Oaklyn and Mount Ephraim. I can honestly say I don’t know anything about of these areas. Anyone from southern NJ familiar with them. Are they up and coming? 

Camden is pretty terrible, but it is only a very, very small part of Camden County, and the rest of the County is pretty much doing fine. It's prime commuting-to-Philly area. Patco (commuter train to Philly) runs right through the heart of that northwestern part of Camden County, including a stop in Collingswood. Other parts of Camden County, particularly the southeast, are rather rural -- the "Garden State" areas. That's why the "looking for a home in Camden County" storyline was so silly. 

I think this is the one they bought, in Mt Ephraim? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/118-4th-Ave-Mount-Ephraim-NJ-08059/38285974_zpid/

And here's the one they were looking at in Oaklyn. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/113-Manheim-Ave-Oaklyn-NJ-08107/38288087_zpid/

Those areas are a little farther from Merchantville than Pennsauken, which is where I was thinking (on the other side of the Cooper River). I only go back to the area to visit family a few times a year, so I'm no expert -- I went to school in Collingswood, but graduated over 25 years ago, and actually lived in Stratford, down the road a few more miles. Parts of Collingswood, especially along the Haddon Ave. corridor, have gotten a lot more trendy than they were when I was a kid, but I don't think of the general area as "up and coming" (and not in the parts they were looking at). As you could see from the houses, those are older, long-established neighborhoods (boroughs), built up long ago, and not fancy. They're definitely not Camden, but they're also not Haddonfield, which is just down the road, but while even older, is a trendier, nicer, much more expensive area for sure.

I'm actually surprised by how affordable the houses are in that area, relatively speaking. Either I've been watching too much HGTV, or the recent housing market in central Ohio (where I live now) is on more of a bubble than I even thought.

Edited by Dawn
  • Love 3

It was actually rather refreshing to see a couple that was realistic and didn't expect McMansions at a price they could afford.  I'd wager that 99% of young couples we've see on other episodes would have expressed total disgust at the size and condition of the homes we saw but these two were not recoiling in horror.  A starter home for a young couple doesn't have to break the bank;  it's meant to be a beginning on building equity for something larger when the need arises. 

Although  I did't realize that dish washing was such an abhorrent and taxing activity.  I grew up without a dishwasher and managed to survive to adulthood just fine.

• Love 3

Kohola3, my parents bought a dishwasher after my brother and I moved away from home.  Before that, it was my job to wash the dinner dishes every night, and my brother's job to dry them.  At the time, I hated that chore, but I would sure like to relive some of that quality time I spent with my brother and the talks we had while we were doing dishes.

How about the Chicago couple where the buyer was super picky about what he had to have in a condo.  I must be getting very old, because these couples are getting younger and younger.  These people were 25 and buying a $600,000 condo, but then he spent over $700,000 on the one he bought.  I did not like the high rise condo that his girlfriend seemed to like.   I thought I was going to be super annoyed at him, but I wasn't.  He was up front about his deal breaker wishes and the fact that he liked to buy nice things, but at the end he talked about how he had come around to some compromises.  He's a detail oriented person, and will probably do very well in his chosen profession in the finance industry.    

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, laredhead said:

How about the Chicago couple where the buyer was super picky about what he had to have in a condo.  I must be getting very old, because these couples are getting younger and younger.  These people were 25 and buying a $600,000 condo, but then he spent over $700,000 on the one he bought.  I did not like the high rise condo that his girlfriend seemed to like.   I thought I was going to be super annoyed at him, but I wasn't.  He was up front about his deal breaker wishes and the fact that he liked to buy nice things, but at the end he talked about how he had come around to some compromises.  He's a detail oriented person, and will probably do very well in his chosen profession in the finance industry.    

Oh, I was plenty creeped out by that guy.  He was so soft-spoken and meticulous in his nature, I had major Patrick Bateman flashbacks, especially when he was wearing the leather gloves and talking on his cell.  Eek. ;P

• Love 3

Chicago episode:  Oh dear, little, Stephanie.  I hope you didn't give up the lease you had with your three sorority sisters in Lincoln Park because this dude ain't gonna marry you and you're going to need someplace to go back to.  I also hope that you weren't actually thinking he was going to take your priority list into consideration for a condo that he's buying and you likely won't be staying in for that long.  She had the Duggar gaze of adoration going on big time with him.    

Edited by Kiki620
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, laredhead said:

At the time, I hated that chore, but I would sure like to relive some of that quality time I spent with my brother and the talks we had while we were doing dishes.

I'm right there with you.  It was just my sister and me and we spent every night chatting as we washed up.  And none of the aunts or grandparents had dishwashers so it was the aunts and then the cousins all joining in to clean up.  Lots of laughing and gossiping.. I'd give anything to have just one of those parties and family times again.

6 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

She had the Duggar gaze of adoration going on big time with him. 

He was, well, odd.  And she'll be left in the dust.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

Oh, I was plenty creeped out by that guy.  He was so soft-spoken and meticulous in his nature, I had major Patrick Bateman flashbacks, especially when he was wearing the leather gloves and talking on his cell.  Eek. ;P

I would be afraid to accidentally spill something on the floor because I don't think he'd take it well at all. 

8 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

Chicago episode:  Oh dear, little, Stephanie.  I hope you didn't give up the lease you had with your three sorority sisters in Lincoln Park because this dude ain't gonna marry you and you're going to need someplace to go back to.  I also hope that you weren't actually thinking he was going to take your priority list into consideration for a condo that he's buying and you likely won't be staying in for that long.  She had the Duggar gaze of adoration going on big time with him.    

She did seem clueless.  Run!

I also have fond dishwashing memories, especially with my grandmother. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

Dude was making major dough. Somehow, I took a wrong turn in life and I'm poor. LOL!!! The condo was pretty nice and he's young so why not live big while you can. As for, Stephanie......I'm a little worried about her. You live & die by a dating app. LOL!!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

When he said something like "getting over my pickiness and taking [my girlfriend's] taste into account has been a struggle for me," I was like " ... Yikes." That was HIS place (meaning he was paying), right?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

How about the Chicago couple where the buyer was super picky about what he had to have in a condo.  I must be getting very old, because these couples are getting younger and younger. These people were 25 and buying a $600,000 condo, but then he spent over $700,000 on the one he bought.  I did not like the high rise condo that his girlfriend seemed to like.   I thought I was going to be super annoyed at him, but I wasn't.  He was up front about his deal breaker wishes and the fact that he liked to buy nice things, but at the end he talked about how he had come around to some compromises.  He's a detail oriented person, and will probably do very well in his chosen profession in the finance industry.    

I liked him too. He reminded me of a blonde Wentworth Miller. However, I don't see that relationship lasting forever. 

1 hour ago, Kiki620 said:

She had the Duggar gaze of adoration going on big time with him

Yes!!

I did like the condo they (he) chose. It had a lot of character and higher end details especially compared to the other two places they looked at so I can see why he picked it. 

• Love 3

I loved the condo the Chicago man bought, and wish the first remodeling he does is getting rid of Miss Whiny Britches.     She was damned picky about a place that he was buying, and it was obvious that she thought her priorities were the only important ones.    I hope she's history by now, and he's found someone much nicer, and not such a self-involved diva.  

I like the rerun of the two women buying in Iowa, where they pick the older house, and didn't whine about the fact it would need updating.   

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

Damn, that friend the Atlanta woman brought with her was ORANGE.  It was so distracting.

In keeping with the theme, lol.  Didn't the realtor wear a bright orange (Halloween orange) blouse at some point?

Happy Halloween, everyone!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, laredhead said:

Aguabella, in addition to grabbing the Wellies, one should also grab their wallets.  Prices are high out there.

That's certainly true.  Those two were probably comparing it to the Santa Clara / San Jose area, however.

Yes, many of us know the effects of too much water / flooding on an area or home(s), too.  Hope nobody here is dealing with the recent hurricanes.

• Love 2
On 10/24/2018 at 8:56 AM, LittleIggy said:

Methinks it would be weird being married to a twin and having the other twin as a housemate!

Me agrees that it sounded like faux HH reality tv!  IIRC, they made a couple of mistakes, i.e. flubbed lines, during the episode.  At the end, they said they were staying with the twin during the reno.  Uh, when's she moving?

Didn't check out either them or the house but it didn't feel right.  And, I believe HH loves to imply certain things or at least get viewers talking.  If you know what I mean, lol ...

On 10/24/2018 at 7:41 AM, mojito said:

I wondered what they actually did in construction? Not that I doubted their knowledge, I just wondered if they actually worked hands-on. 

They were a unique trio, being 38 and having been in college together. That's potentially a lot of history between them all. 

Same, here.  When they moved a few pieces of flooring around for the cameras, one said something about "getting" muscles.  So they don't already have them from doing construction???

• Love 1
On 10/24/2018 at 1:40 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Indianapolis episode certainly was different from the usual house hunters, who only want move-in ready, and whine about everything they see that's 'outdated' to them.    

I hope they love that house, and I hope the have an update in a year or so.    I thought all three women were a refreshing change from many of the other house hunters on here, and I'm sure they'll do a spectacular job remodeling it.      I'm betting that a big project will be getting professional painters to do the final paint job on the house.   My guess is the second the cameras left the painters with paint guns came in to do a neutral paint on the entire place.  

I hope they also get a bunch of dirt for that back yard, because there were some serious ponding places in it, and the dog is going to love running through the mud, and into the house.     I'm sure the location had a lot to do with their choice.    I liked the first house, but I don't know enough about the area to know if it was in a good location or not.     The third house would have been a disaster, since the dog would have zero room, and the yard was so tiny.   

Yep, sad scene, throwing on paint with brushes for the camera.  Those walls will require extra prep, too, before the paint guns begin.  Good idea on the pond.  Many people fail to consider yard upgrades when hunting.

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll see an update.  They're not filming WATN as much lately.  The last HH act / segment is now known as WATN.  Hopefully ...