Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

The Chicago couple.  He came across as a selfish jerk.  They lived in a cramped space and shared a bedroom with their two kids (!) so he could have HIS own space (the second bedroom).  Oh hell no. So when they go looking for a larger place, he basically wanted to replicate their current situation because he liked being in the city and wanted to bike to work.  He wanted his two kids to share a bedroom (a boy and a girl) so that he could have his own room to close the door and play the guitar. The wife was endlessly patient and explained how the boy and girl would eventually need their own bedrooms.

I always have to remind myself that these people have already purchased a home and they are basically play-acting at looking at other houses, but why would he want to make himself look like such a selfish ass?

• Love 12

Forgot to add about the Chicago guy.  He told his wife he didn't want a house because he doesn't like to do yard work.  She said she would do it if they could get the house.  The last shot showed her mowing their football field-sized back lawn with a PUSH MOWER that he got for her.  Her voice-over comment: "Well, at least I don't have to go to the gym now ..."  You would think hubby could have at least gotten her a power mower.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

So apparently the selfish ass was not just an act.  He really is.

Yep, he was truly awful.  She said a couple of times how he was better at handling money than anyone else she knew which I think was code for cheap, cheap, cheap.  I, too, wondered why he kept insisting he needed 'office space' in any house they'd purchase and even made it a priority to designate his 'office space' in every home they saw.  Even more surprising, at the end, he was shown sitting in his 'office' fooling around with a guitar, which, since he works in IT and is not a professional musician, is clearly not an activity that needed its own space, let alone an office.

• Love 2

I can't decide whether Chicago wife is a doormat or a saint. I can't believe she let him have a dedicated guitar-playing room while sharing a bedroom with two kids, and then agreed to do all the yard work with a push mower. Was it he or she who said the push mower is "environmentally friendly?" I bet in the winter he'll make her shovel all the snow from the driveway because it's more "environmentally friendly" than using a snow blower.

21 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Even more surprising, at the end, he was shown sitting in his 'office' fooling around with a guitar, which, since he works in IT and is not a professional musician, is clearly not an activity that needed its own space, let alone an office.

He said it was so that the kids - you know, the ones he fathered and his wife takes care of all day long - don't "bother" him. 

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
On 12/6/2017 at 6:49 AM, laredhead said:

I can't believe it's been 4 years since the San Francisco couple was first shown, and what a transformation in that house.  I loved the finished product, and it screams California lifestyle.  It could be in a magazine.  I really liked that they said they liked a smaller master bedroom.

The Merritt Island redo was great too.  I always hate to see a garage or carport turned into living area and the driveway left to run right up to the house.  That would be my only criticsm of the remodel that I see.  That was a double garage so they added about 400 sf to a 1500 sf house.  I live in a house like that have tried to remedy that over the years without spending a lot of money on removing all of the concrete.  Glad the only damage they had from Hurricane Matthew was a banana tree.     

That CA master was originally very narrow.  I wasn't sure if the space was larger, overall, including the oversized bathroom, b/c they pushed it out towards the backyard, eliminating that balcony.  So it was much wider in the "after".  (They didn't mention it.)  Most people would enjoy that balcony, don't you think?

Wasn't sure if I'd like that house, after all was said and done.  Looked like it had been enlarged at least 1-2 times, previously.  Pretty sure the original wall would have been where that staircase was located.  Believe it was a true ranch, originally.  Have a feeling someone pushed it out towards the backyard and also added the 2nd level. 

Anyway, it felt a little disjointed, all together.  To me, that's the biggest challenge of a remodel / expansion.  Does it feel organic?  That kitchen location, i.e. the first one, gave me a sense (???) of the original footprint.  My conclusion:  ???

What was your opinion of the new kitchen?  Felt cold, to me.  Besides just an appliance garage, it was completely garaged / enclosed!  Couldn't imagine feeling comfortable in that kitchen.  If they had electrical in that appliance garage (looked like it), I could see myself trying to work behind that door as someone came up from the side.  Hey - just like the guy's  complaint about the original kitchen, lol.

Did like the wood formed concrete.  (Have used that material.)

About Florida:

Agree, hate, hate, hate driving up to someone's garage m/b reno.  Personally, I've covered them up / disguised them with a row of large, concrete planters.  Kinda' like a bunker!

They'd done a good job.  Hope their b/r didn't feel like the old garage.  It prob didn't - looked like they'd put in the time & money to do it right.  

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

I just saw the Little Rock episode about the air force pilot & his wife.  She sounded like a Valley Girl, and thank goodness there was no vocal fry associated with it.  Her idea of character was a sliding barn door in the bedroom, columns, and crown moulding, ya da, ya da, ya da.  None of the houses looked particularly appealing to me, and they probably won't be there much longer than 2-4 years, so I'm betting they bought what would be good for quick resale when he is transferred again.   

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I just saw the Little Rock episode about the air force pilot & his wife.  She sounded like a Valley Girl, and thank goodness there was no vocal fry associated with it.  Her idea of character was a sliding barn door in the bedroom, columns, and crown moulding, ya da, ya da, ya da.  None of the houses looked particularly appealing to me, and they probably won't be there much longer than 2-4 years, so I'm betting they bought what would be good for quick resale when he is transferred again.   

I thought she was awful. She claimed there was not enough time to fold laundry or match socks. She was a freaking weirdo.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I thought she was awful. She claimed there was not enough time to fold laundry or match socks. She was a freaking weirdo.

I just don't get people who don't like folding laundry. It's the most pleasant of household chores because the laundry is *clean* when you fold it. Most of the other household chores involve touching something dirty.

• Love 5

Chicago Nurse

This was one of the rare episodes in which I  liked the house-hunting buddy better than the house hunter. With a very modest budget, she wanted something "with character". Apparently, character = arched doorway. Whoever remodeled one home had overdone it because they took out all of the "character". But the house did have an open floor plan (which, of course she liked). The rooms were small (didn't like). So, in summary, a character home has an open floor plan, arched doorways, large bedrooms, granite, and stainless steel appliances. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojito said:

Chicago Nurse

This was one of the rare episodes in which I  liked the house-hunting buddy better than the house hunter. With a very modest budget, she wanted something "with character". Apparently, character = arched doorway. Whoever remodeled one home had overdone it because they took out all of the "character". But the house did have an open floor plan (which, of course she liked). The rooms were small (didn't like). So, in summary, a character home has an open floor plan, arched doorways, large bedrooms, granite, and stainless steel appliances. 

I liked her friend better, too.  I liked the second house - more room and a pool!  (I am not a pool fan but it was not super huge.)  As soon as she was taken to a condo I knew that was the place she would buy, as she was pretty adamant about wanting a single family home.  Why even show it unless she bought it?  Plus that second home:  the kitchen had PLENTY of character!! It was not that bad in my opinion, but I am not a granite/ss/hardwood floor kinda gal.

17 hours ago, jcbrown said:

They were both a little odd.  Who hates ***clean*** laundry?  When my kids were little i loved laundry as it was beginning, middle, end!!  I agree they want to have a good resale in a few years.  He had a odd thing about a workout room AND a guest room.  They can't be the same room?

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

He had a odd thing about a workout room AND a guest room.  They can't be the same room?

Depends on the kind of workout equipment and the size of the room. BTW, to me, a *guest* room is one that is equipped primarily for the comfort of guests. A room with all the crap shoved to the side to make just enough space for an air mattress does not qualify as a guest room.

• Love 4

Oh, god, the Little Rock woman.  Finally caught this one on YouTube, and had to turn it off after five minutes.  "I have better things to do than cook/clean" is such an immature attitude to have.  Grow up, and fold your damn socks.  Life is full of mundane things you don't want to do, so get over it.

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Love 6
On 12/27/2017 at 10:19 PM, pep4 said:

I sure hope tonight's South Dakota couple were just trying too hard when the camera was on, she was quite annoying.  Felt sorry for the nice realtor.

Oh yes. This is the one who insisted on buying a house she could 'put her own stamp on.' I hate that phrase. What makes her think that her taste is that special that she has to put it on display for the entire world to see? But you ain't all that and a bag of chips.

They wound up buying a completely turnkey house, so there was nothing whatsoever for her to do. Hee.

• Love 2

I always have to laugh when someone walks into an empty white room and complains that it has "no character."

My first thought is that the room had character before they walked in. 

• Love 5

After reading a few posts here, I'm definitely going to search for a few of these I missed 'on demand' or YouTube to check out the people's personalities!

I wonder if we all like this show so we can check out and judge the homes... or the people?

• Love 1

I wonder if we all like this show so we can check out and judge the homes... or the people?

Good question. I think I watch this show mostly to observe human behavior and then challenge myself to be more tolerant. I'm getting better at it, but some people do set me off a bit. I'm only mildly interested in the real estate. HHI is something I watch to get a feel for other countries and real estate and observe human behavior. 

My follow-question is why do people log in here? For me, reading others' comments gives me an idea of how tolerant I am or am not.

St. Louis Radio Personality

Based on her stylish appearance, age, budget, gregariousness, and marital status, I expected this woman to be a diva with demands for all sorts of superficial bling, but she wasn't at all, and it was fun learning that she loved to fish, and would do so every day (so un-diva like, actually liking to be outdoors and doing something that required nature and wildlife). Initially, I was disappointed by her choice, but then there was a little surprise at the end--a lake within walking distance that she didn't know existed (or so they wanted us to believe). She requested three bedrooms, three bathrooms and not much yard maintenance, and none of the other usual must-haves. In the end she stated that she'd cleaned the carpets, painted over most of the wall paper and said nothing about renovating the kitchen, which had laminate counter tops and handle-less builder-grade, unpainted cabinets. She even left the pear wallpaper in the kitchen because she said it was growing on her. Her friend was equally as non-demanding! What a nice surprise this episode was.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, AEMom said:

I don't see a separate thread for this and no idea how old the eps are.

They were mentioned on this thread and universally hated.  The hope was that they would go away and there would be no need for a thread.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, mojito said:

Based on her stylish appearance, age, budget, gregariousness, and marital status, I expected this woman to be a diva with demands for all sorts of superficial bling, but she wasn't at all, and it was fun learning that she loved to fish, and would do so every day (so un-diva like, actually liking to be outdoors and doing something that required nature and wildlife).

I really liked her. Loved her quip about not wanting to stay too long at the party. She also said she was the first woman to have her own primetime radio show in St. Louis, which I'm sure took a lot of hard work and gumption, but she still seems humble.

• Love 2
On 12/27/2017 at 10:19 PM, pep4 said:

I sure hope tonight's South Dakota couple were just trying too hard when the camera was on, she was quite annoying.  Felt sorry for the nice realtor.

They schedule 40 hours filming to produce 22 minutes of television.  It's my understanding it often extends from 4 long, 10 hour days to 5-6 days, including retakes, etc.  Wouldn't it be difficult to remain "on" for that amount of time?  

If viewers believe she appeared annoying, then the story editor probably selected scenes to make her appear that way.  Who knows if she's that way in real life ???  In any event, I'm sure HGTV loves that viewers noticed!

Edited by aguabella
On 1/2/2018 at 0:48 AM, Rosebud1970 said:

Oh yes. This is the one who insisted on buying a house she could 'put her own stamp on.' I hate that phrase. What makes her think that her taste is that special that she has to put it on display for the entire world to see? But you ain't all that and a bag of chips.

They wound up buying a completely turnkey house, so there was nothing whatsoever for her to do. Hee.

Yep, given the number of times they mentioned it, a fixer / renovation appeared to be the episode's red herring.

14 hours ago, mojito said:

Good question. I think I watch this show mostly to observe human behavior and then challenge myself to be more tolerant. I'm getting better at it, but some people do set me off a bit. I'm only mildly interested in the real estate. HHI is something I watch to get a feel for other countries and real estate and observe human behavior. 

My follow-question is why do people log in here? For me, reading others' comments gives me an idea of how tolerant I am or am not.

Based on her stylish appearance, age, budget, gregariousness, and marital status, I expected this woman to be a diva with demands for all sorts of superficial bling, but she wasn't at all, and it was fun learning that she loved to fish, and would do so every day (so un-diva like, actually liking to be outdoors and doing something that required nature and wildlife). Initially, I was disappointed by her choice, but then there was a little surprise at the end--a lake within walking distance that she didn't know existed (or so they wanted us to believe). She requested three bedrooms, three bathrooms and not much yard maintenance, and none of the other usual must-haves. In the end she stated that she'd cleaned the carpets, painted over most of the wall paper and said nothing about renovating the kitchen, which had laminate counter tops and handle-less builder-grade, unpainted cabinets. She even left the pear wallpaper in the kitchen because she said it was growing on her. Her friend was equally as non-demanding! What a nice surprise this episode was.

Love, love, love hearing alternative opinions and observations on the episodes.  (My reason for logging in to ptv.)  ETA:  watch for RE.

St Louis - not a fan of painting over wallpaper.  Sure it can be done but requires sufficient prep and it leaves a mess, usually, for the next h/o.

Ok, wasn't the magical discovery of the lake around the corner a little much?  Even for HH / HGTV?

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, AEMom said:

I have several episodes of House Hunters Family on my PVR.  I don't see a separate thread for this and no idea how old the eps are.

Is there a place to discuss them?

If you're interested, using the season number and episode name, the original airdates can be located on the tv guide website by drilling down on HH.  Or, they're on other misc websites.  (Episode numbers don't help b/c they vary between hgtv, cable systems, etc.)

Although they were discussed shortly after the original airing, if you post about them on this thread, someone might engage with you, if it was a particularly memorable episode.  Otherwise, we may not remember and/or care.

As previously mentioned by another poster, HHF wasn't well-received, here.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, aguabella said:

Love, love, love hearing alternative opinions and observations on the episodes.  (My reason for logging in to ptv.)  ETA:  watch for RE.

St Louis - not a fan of painting over wallpaper.  Sure it can be done but requires sufficient prep and it leaves a mess, usually, for the next h/o.

Ok, wasn't the magical discovery of the lake around the corner a little much?  Even for HH / HGTV?

Yep, when she talked about painting over wallpaper, I groaned.  I grew up in an old house where the paper had been painted over many times and it did not look good. Looks kinda tacky and cheap, especially in a house as nice as hers.

There is no way she didn’t know about the nearby lake when she bought the place.  Considering her obsession with fishing, the realtor would’ve been a fool not to emphasize it when she showed the house.  The show needed their list of 3 ‘wants’ so they could check them off for the comparison prior to the reveal.  If they’d told us there was fishing a block or two away, their graphic would’ve been messed up.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, answerphone said:

I'm watching the segment with the two men looking at Seattle homes, and the rock quarry cave home is definitely strange and unique. 

Seattle certainly has its share of quirky homes. I wasn't surprised that they picked the West Seattle house, even though it was a longer commute for one of them. West Seattle is one of the most family-friendly neighborhoods, and Capitol Hill, where they were living previously, is more of a "party" neighborhood. Good for them for having $1.3M to spend on a house. Who knew "philanthropy" paid so much.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4

Colorado episode, AKA Ivanka marries Adam Lambert:   All those houses were great and I loved the woodwork in the kitchen of the house they chose.  I'm still not sure why they needed a 7 ft. dog cage if the top was enclosed.

• Love 7

I couldn't figure out of Adam Lambert was wearing a wig or if that was his real hair.  It was lopsided and it looked stupid, but in the video of him with his band it looked more even.  Anyway, I did like the houses.

I watch mainly for the geography & houses; but, for sure -- the people watching enters in to it as well.  I do try to "give people a break" by remembering that it is edited, producer driven, they aren't actors & possibly very nervous, etc.  I also realize that a lot of the talking heads where people say certain things (sometimes over & over) is mostly where they are being asked questions and then the producers get a reaction and use it/abuse it.  However, there are occasionally people that are such pickles that I find myself thinking (or saying) what-the-hell?  There have been many times when I wonder how in the world two people ever ended up together!  

Another thing I wonder A LOT is how can people afford these prices?  I live in the Midwest and houses that cost $700k are mansions!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Colorado episode, AKA Ivanka marries Adam Lambert:   All those houses were great and I loved the woodwork in the kitchen of the house they chose.  I'm still not sure why they needed a 7 ft. dog cage if the top was enclosed.

Hahahahaha! 

Perfect description of that couple!

Edited by answerphone
Typo! My dog jumped on my lap.
  • Love 3

I watch entirely for the homes - mostly I mute the dialog.  And, honestly, producer-driven or not, people who need their fifteen minutes of fame and act like fools are not normally the people I enjoy watching or want to know.  You can't tell me that truly nice, normal folks would agree to spew idiot remarks and pick fights with their significant others just to be seen on the tube.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I'm still not sure why they needed a 7 ft. dog cage if the top was enclosed.

Eagles?  Those were smallish dogs. 

Or maybe the cage came with a top and it was easier to use the top than to dispose of it or find a place to store it.

4 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Colorado episode, AKA Ivanka marries Adam Lambert

They said they're in an 80s tribute band, so I thought she was going for Debbie Harry (Blondie) and he for Robert Smith (The Cure). But you're right, their looks are closer to Ivanka and Adam Lambert, respectively.

47 minutes ago, LazyToaster said:

Another thing I wonder A LOT is how can people afford these prices?

I wonder about that too, most recently about the Seattle couple. They're both pretty young, but had a $1.3M budget, and already owned one house. One of them works for Expedia (or as he referred to it, "an online travel company on the Eastside"), which pays reasonably well but not $$$ unless you're in upper management. The other one said he works from home for some kind of "philanthropical organization," so my guess is that he's independently wealthy.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

They said they're in an 80s tribute band, so I thought she was going for Debbie Harry (Blondie) and he for Robert Smith (The Cure). But you're right, their looks are closer to Ivanka and Adam Lambert, respectively.

I looked them up (don't judge me!) and they are pretty busy with bookings so good for them!!!  It sounds like he is the main guy/leader/booker of the band, it seems like it is his baby.  They were really into that dog run weren't they?  Or wasn't he I should say?  I loved all the homes but knew they would go for number two  - it was a good compromise.  I loved all the woodwork and the layout plus Ivanka was NOT giving up on that main level master.  And for two people who clearly loved their dogs they did very little talking about how much their dogs would like this layout or that layout.  Adam Lambert seemed pretty mellow.

• Love 1

I'm still not sure why they needed a 7 ft. dog cage if the top was enclosed.

Coyotes can jump an 8-foot fence, which made me raise an eyebrow when I saw the initial dog run that was supposed to protect the critters from coyotes. Anyway, a taller cage could discourage a less athletic coyote from jumping on top and drooling onto the petrified little dogs. 

• Love 2
On 1/5/2018 at 7:42 AM, chocolatine said:

Seattle certainly has its share of quirky homes. I wasn't surprised that they picked the West Seattle house, even though it was a longer commute for one of them. West Seattle is one of the most family-friendly neighborhoods, and Capitol Hill, where they were living previously, is more of a "party" neighborhood. Good for them for having $1.3M to spend on a house. Who knew "philanthropy" paid so much.

I lived in Capitol Hill before heading over to West Seattle and I haven’t looked back. It’s like living in a small town encapsulated by the city. Based on their views, it looks like they’re in the Admiral district east of California. My fiancé and I hope to one day swing a home in that area.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I wonder about that too, most recently about the Seattle couple. They're both pretty young, but had a $1.3M budget, and already owned one house. One of them works for Expedia (or as he referred to it, "an online travel company on the Eastside"), which pays reasonably well but not $$$ unless you're in upper management. The other one said he works from home for some kind of "philanthropical organization," so my guess is that he's independently wealthy.

Moderate income for two white collar mid-career professionals could easily be $250-300k per year.  Combine that with steady gains in equity as they’ve moved across the country, and especially from their last home in Capitol Hill (which just broke $1 million for average home sale price), and it doesn’t seem that out of reach.

Being from south Louisiana myself, the raw numbers still shock me, but I do see a path where “not rich” people end up with such expensive real estate. 

13 hours ago, Preppy6917 said:

Being from south Louisiana myself, the raw numbers still shock me,

Me, too, being from N. Florida.  I guess the house prices are equivalent to the higher salaries out there, as they are in San Francisco, maybe???

Me, too, being from N. Florida.  I guess the house prices are equivalent to the higher salaries out there, as they are in San Francisco, maybe???

I can only speak for one company, not too many years ago. I was surprised to learn that  employees at one telecommunications giant in the San Francisco area were paid no higher than their counterparts in Texas. Made me wonder about other corporations.

I laugh whenever I see that episode where the wife, who is set on a Craftsman, finds one, only she doesn't like the original fireplace or built-ins.  lol  She rips them all out.  (Glad this wasn't a renovation episode. Just a quick clip of them doing it.)  She might be the most clueless hunter yet. 

• Love 1
On 1/6/2018 at 2:49 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

They were really into that dog run weren't they?  Or wasn't he I should say?  I loved all the homes but knew they would go for number two  - it was a good compromise.  I loved all the woodwork and the layout plus Ivanka was NOT giving up on that main level master.  And for two people who clearly loved their dogs they did very little talking about how much their dogs would like this layout or that layout.  Adam Lambert seemed pretty mellow.

I liked that they were so into their dogs, but not obnoxious or annoying about it and they didn't bring them along on the house hunt - I liked them for that reason alone :)  I didn't understand why they needed such a huge house for just the two of them?

He did look like Adam Lambert!  She looked like someone, but I can't put my finger on who. I'll have to think back to my 80's new wave days...

Fl lake house ep:  First, they all looked exactly the same!  Even the mother!  I think there were 4 daughters and their mom and the one wanted the lake house for all of them to use.  Ok, fine.  I thought it was weird though that NONE of them mentioned having a boyfriend or husband.  They mentioned a few times how they all are best friends and spend all their time together so I guess none of them care about finding one, but still.  It was like an all girls clone club!  Strange...

52 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I liked that they were so into their dogs, but not obnoxious or annoying about it and they didn't bring them along on the house hunt - I liked them for that reason alone :)  I didn't understand why they needed such a huge house for just the two of them?

I liked them about the dog issues - they loved their doggies but were not over the top obsessed with them.    I wonder if some sellers request "no dogs" as they don't want to come home to dog poop on the lawn after a showing?  Or are prone to allergies?    I wondered why they needed so much space as well.

1 hour ago, juliet73 said:

He did look like Adam Lambert!  She looked like someone, but I can't put my finger on who. I'll have to think back to my 80's new wave days...

Fl lake house ep:  First, they all looked exactly the same!  Even the mother!  I think there were 4 daughters and their mom and the one wanted the lake house for all of them to use.  Ok, fine.  I thought it was weird though that NONE of them mentioned having a boyfriend or husband.  They mentioned a few times how they all are best friends and spend all their time together so I guess none of them care about finding one, but still.  It was like an all girls clone club!  Strange...

I thought the same thing about the girl buying the lake home. While it was nice they are so close etc., I felt relieved at the end when they had other family and friends there visiting. 

On 12/22/2017 at 0:33 AM, chocolatine said:

I just don't get people who don't like folding laundry. It's the most pleasant of household chores because the laundry is *clean* when you fold it. Most of the other household chores involve touching something dirty.

I once lived in a building which share a laundry with the building next door.  There was no way to see if it was in use before going there, so sometimes I'd go in, only to find other people's stuff in it. If it was in the dryer when I was ready for it, I would take it out and fold it nicely. I agree that folding laundry is pleasant  - even if it belongs to other people. And I'm sure they must have been shocked to see their laundry all nicely arranged on top of the dryer. 

• Love 1