Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

On 11/29/2018 at 9:17 PM, ByaNose said:

Albuquerque - The wife couldn’t even hide her disdain for the house (and, husband for that matter) for the cameras. Can you imagine what she’s like in real life?! Yikes! I’ve decided I don’t like the adobe style house. Everything from the carpets to the floors to the tile to the walls to the ceiling was tan. So ugly. I wanted them to pick the modern house and I don’t even really that style of house. They’ve been married forever so I’m sure they’ll survive. The husband was good looking but just laughed and rolled his eyes to everything. I think that’s how he’s coped all of these years. LOL!!!!!

Adobe houses aren’t ugly at all.

6 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

According to the local paper, the Wichita couple has already moved.  The show was filmed in February or March and the house was sold again in September.  

Why were Cirque type performers living in Wichita anyway? 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Adobe houses aren’t ugly at all.

Why were Cirque type performers living in Wichita anyway? 

'Cause they were really tech job people, and one of them got a job there (I was not paying attention to the specifics, although I personally know someone who moved there for a job). The acrobat thing was a hobby.

7 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

According to the local paper, the Wichita couple has already moved.  The show was filmed in February or March and the house was sold again in September.  

Interesting -- do you have a link to the house or article? (I love looking at listings and normally find them on redfin, which seems not to cover Wichita.)

Edited by msmarjoribanks
  • Love 2

What was up with the Burbank mom and daughter? Did they not have jobs? I didn't hear them mention it in the beginning and when they looked at the house over their budget, the mom mentioned already receiving a generous gift from "Lola". 

I about fell out of my chair when the mom said it wouldn't be a problem if 4 adults shared 1 bathroom. Tell that to these entitled twits that insist on 3+ bathrooms when there is only 2 people living in the house.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, msmarjoribanks said:

'Cause they were really tech job people, and one of them got a job there (I was not paying attention to the specifics, although I personally know someone who moved there for a job). The acrobat thing was a hobby.

Interesting -- do you have a link to the house or article? (I love looking at listings and normally find them on redfin, which seems not to cover Wichita.)

https://www.kansas.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/keeper-of-the-plans/article222429260.html

They made a ridiculous profit on it; they must have flipped it.

ETA although looking at the Zillow listing, I'm not sure that it has sold.  It was listed and then taken down.  No sale is listed.

Edited by Omeletsmom
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I didn't think the wife was as bad as mentioned here. I thought they were both just kind of geeky and trying to play up a less geeky persona, which came off as even more geeky. ha.

I don't think she was "bad" but she had kind of a stone face, not very "warm."  She might be a hoot in person, but sometimes people don't come across well on camera, and she was one of those people, IMO.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, juliet73 said:

What was up with the Burbank mom and daughter? Did they not have jobs? I didn't hear them mention it in the beginning and when they looked at the house over their budget, the mom mentioned already receiving a generous gift from "Lola". 

I about fell out of my chair when the mom said it wouldn't be a problem if 4 adults shared 1 bathroom. Tell that to these entitled twits that insist on 3+ bathrooms when there is only 2 people living in the house.

That was a super weird episode.  They did not mention jobs for either woman, and if the last place was $850K and they were getting a gift of $750K, why ask Lola for more -- three adults (mom, daughter, and boyfriend) could presumably swing an $100K mortgage.

The first place was absurdly small and eh (but for the yard, which was nice) for $715K!!!  I know, Burbank (and I live in Chicago, which is expensive), but I was like no way, live elsewhere.  (I would have gone with the second Spanish place, assuming a $750K budget. Or somewhere not shown where $750K buys something.)

I wonder how much adding a bathroom for the redone garage is -- that would seem high priority, and I think boyfriend should pay (or pay rent) and they have money left over.  It might not be easy, though, given location.

Yeah, I'm being judgy, it was just odd.

The daughter (Amelia) was pretty, and dogs were cute.

Edited by msmarjoribanks
  • Love 4
On 11/30/2018 at 2:46 PM, Irritable said:

They just aired a Kansas City couple from this year that I had not seen before.  The wife resembled Kelly Clarkson, but her voice ... OMG HER VOICE. This is not even an exaggeration, I needed to take a Xanax because not only did she have the combo of valley girl vocal fry uptalk? she complained about EVERYTHING.  “OMG this yard is disgusting! This carpet is horrible! These paint colors are awful! Ew, what is this room supposed to be?” 

I wish I had muted it, just to keep my anxiety at a manageable level. How her husband can listen to her every day I’ll never know, but god bless him.

Just happened upon this one, I cannot agree more (except that I think it's a bit unfair to Kelly Clarkson -- make-up (the black eyeliner) and hair dye and overall style (jeans jacket) she looks exactly like some girls I was in jr high with, and I was in jr high in the '80s).  Is that look back?

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, msmarjoribanks said:

The first place was absurdly small and eh (but for the yard, which was nice) for $715K!!!  I know, Burbank (and I live in Chicago, which is expensive), but I was like no way, live elsewhere.  (I would have gone with the second Spanish place, assuming a $750K budget.

Me too. 750 square feet for four people would be a no-go for me if I had other larger options.

That WAS a weird episode. Was the boyfriend going to pay rent? (I would not want to live with a mother and grandmother who "doesn't like men" if I had other options.) Was Lola funding the whole purchase? Surely somebody in that scenario worked, but no job was mentioned.

• Love 6
On 11/27/2018 at 12:59 AM, LittleIggy said:

where did the money come from that they had such a large budget

I find myself asking this question nearly all of the episodes.

Funny enough, this meme has constantly been popping up all over my Facebook feed recently...

hgtu-be-like-isharpen-colored-pencils-my-wife-works-1-hour-a-month-collecting-butterflies-our-budget-18-million-I80Ui.jpg.01450ef0d18492b8308fe5bdc4dfec85.jpg

• Love 24
6 hours ago, msmarjoribanks said:

Just happened upon this one, I cannot agree more (except that I think it's a bit unfair to Kelly Clarkson -- make-up (the black eyeliner) and hair dye and overall style (jeans jacket) she looks exactly like some girls I was in jr high with, and I was in jr high in the '80s).  Is that look back?

Oh I only meant her facial features resembled Kelly, not her um ... personal “style”.  I was trying to find something nice to say to help balance out the hugely negative opinions I had about her otherwise!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Me too. 750 square feet for four people would be a no-go for me if I had other larger options.

That WAS a weird episode. Was the boyfriend going to pay rent? (I would not want to live with a mother and grandmother who "doesn't like men" if I had other options.) Was Lola funding the whole purchase? Surely somebody in that scenario worked, but no job was mentioned.

I should hope the boyfriend pays rent. I doubt Lola doesn’t like men. I think she is an old fashioned Filipina granny who doesn’t approve of pre-marital cohabitation.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Irritable said:

Oh I only meant her facial features resembled Kelly, not her um ... personal “style”.  I was trying to find something nice to say to help balance out the hugely negative opinions I had about her otherwise!

Heh, I figured.  I just could not believe how similar her style was to certain girls I went to jr high with.

1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I should hope the boyfriend pays rent. I doubt Lola doesn’t like men. I think she is an old fashioned Filipina granny who doesn’t approve of pre-marital cohabitation.

That was my assumption too.

On 4/28/2017 at 10:32 AM, mortonsalt said:

All three houses were nice, but I really loved the ones that they didn't end up going with. I knew they'd end up going with the one that the realtor "picked" out for her though since it was the cheapest, and it was in the most family friendly location. 

I could see why that steep driveway would have been a big negative for house number 3 plus it costing so much, but those views and the inside was awesome. I also loved house number 1 especially all that cherry. I couldn't believe how negative she was towards it. 

Maine to Park City, either $900K or $1.2m budget:  Just watched the rerun of this episode, and I agree with this. I loved all three houses, but especially #3 (which I want), #1 was really outside their price range (but nice, granted I have those cabinets and like cherry). I loved the views.

Edited by msmarjoribanks
On 12/1/2018 at 11:56 PM, LittleIggy said:

Agreed-it did seem weird, but thinking about it, a lot of immigrant families (and Filipinos especially are very conservative and family values-oriented) live in multi-generational arrangements.  So it made sense to have Lola stay with them (she spent part time in the Philipines and the rest in Burbank) and help with the down payment. I think they were worried she wouldn't be crazy about the living together before marriage part.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, tvrox said:

Agreed-it did seem weird, but thinking about it, a lot of immigrant families (and Filipinos especially are very conservative and family values-oriented) live in multi-generational arrangements.  So it made sense to have Lola stay with them (she spent part time in the Philipines and the rest in Burbank) and help with the down payment. I think they were worried she wouldn't be crazy about the living together before marriage part.

Lola was paying for the house, not just helping with a down payment. 

• Love 2
On 11/30/2018 at 4:23 PM, Omeletsmom said:

Interesting. As we watched this ep, having some familiarity with conservative Kansas as well as the adjacent Midwest, Mrs. Ottis and I both said this couple needs to move somewhere other than Wichita! I guess the article above says they moved because of another job change (didn't they move to Wichita because of a job change? If you have that many job chances, maybe you shouldn't buy a house each time), but I imagine there was more to it than that. Hope they are happy wherever they are!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Ottis said:

Interesting. As we watched this ep, having some familiarity with conservative Kansas as well as the adjacent Midwest, Mrs. Ottis and I both said this couple needs to move somewhere other than Wichita! I guess the article above says they moved because of another job change (didn't they move to Wichita because of a job change? If you have that many job chances, maybe you shouldn't buy a house each time), but I imagine there was more to it than that. Hope they are happy wherever they are!

I was thinking the same thing about those young architects in Jackson, MS. I know they weren’t a couple, but still... 

• Love 5

Nashville couple that was expecting a boy ... they were a nice couple. She reminded me of Meghan Markle. When he proposed and she was all shocked, I was thinking "Y'all are having a baby. You're already in it for life - you're MORE committed than you would be if you just got married and didn't have kids." I know House Hunters is staged but the Christmas scenes are really egregious. I loved the table that her grandfather had made.

Richmond woman buying her first house: they are a young-looking family. I kept thinking her grandmother was her mother. Her mother had beautiful smooth skin too. I can't remember if the house she bought had 1.5 baths or just one, but I was thinking that if she couldn't have two full bathrooms, she should at least have two toilets. It's a fine first place that she can update over time.

• Love 8

I was switching between shows and missed the proposal (that I had seen repeatedly on previews). I kept thinking how awkward it would be if they didn't get the scene in the first take and had to reshoot.

The Richmond woman's mom seemed like a third wheel at times. I couldn't quite figure that out -- there didn't seem to be much feeling between the mom and the grandmother, at least in the scenes I saw. I thought the agent was a bit of a crank. Yes, buyers want more than they can afford, but why spend your grandma's money and take on a load of debt for something that isn't what you want? Maybe keep saving and shop later, with a different agent.

The couple in So. Cal buying their first home -- man, was the woman controlling much? Hopefully it was the editing and she's not that bad in real life, but she did not come across well. I wonder what her patients will think of her. I thought it was telling and rather sad when he said they met on Spring break in Mexico and his friends were upset because he lost touch with all of them after meeting her.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

she reminded me of Meghan Markle.

My thoughts exactly.  Being suspicious of producer hijinks, I imagined this episode being filmed just after the royal engagement was announced and producers finding actors who resembled them.  The future groom was pale and a had a little reddish tint in his hair to go along with the Megan lookalike.  The house was a good choice.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Richmond episode:  I know it's a nitpick but I got tired of them calling houses "ranchers."  Never heard that description before and I wonder if that's just in the Richmond area.

I grew up in the Richmond area and I have never heard a house called a "rancher"...maybe this happened after I moved away. I wasn't sure where any of the houses were located(and it has been a long, long time since I lived in Richmond.) Checked the Richmond paper but all they told was to watch the show and the dates it would be shown. However, I saw street signs for the last house and I located the area. Believe it or not, it wasn't too far where I grew up....maybe 5-6 miles away and I probably drove by the area daily when I was in college. It is located not far from Richmond Raceway that was the Richmond Fairgrounds when I was living there. Here is a link to the area....I wish I hadn't deleted the episode but it will be rerun on Christmas so I will look at the houses near by.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Richmond-VA/6752_rid/150000-175000_price/609-710_mp/600-arnold-rd-_att/37.574012,-77.422364,37.572292,-77.425237_rect/18_zm/

The street sign read Arnold Rd and Napoleon ST.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Could be because I've only heard it called "ranch" or "ranch style."

There was some other episode where I noticed them calling it that.  Can't remember if it was in the South, but it was recent (could have been a rerun though).  I found it odd, since like you I'd not heard it before.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, ForReal said:

The couple in So. Cal buying their first home -- man, was the woman controlling much? Hopefully it was the editing and she's not that bad in real life, but she did not come across well. I wonder what her patients will think of her. I thought it was telling and rather sad when he said they met on Spring break in Mexico and his friends were upset because he lost touch with all of them after meeting her.

This was my impression too.  I think I guessed they'd pick #1 and wanted them to pick #3 (which is the one I liked best), but since I watched it super early this morning (I was traveling for work in Jackson, MS and never sleep well in hotels), I didn't post then and the details are already out of my mind, annoying.  Some are more memorable than others.

The "I need white cabinets" is becoming such a pet peeve of mine. I don't really like white cabinets (but they wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, no cabinets would be), and also paint them if you must.

I don't know how varied Yorba Linda is, but I found it annoying during the show (as so often) that they said nothing about the specific area, any preferences, school considerations, etc.  I realize they never do (well, they often talk about commuting or walkability or being close to water -- never schools), but that would help put why they pick what they do in context.

• Love 2

Fernandina Beach, FL -- I thought I'd dislike this one (I usually don't like the beachy ones or the Florida ones and the description put me off), but I actually enjoyed it and liked the one they picked (taking into account it needs work and he is going to do it -- I'd love to see it when finished).  Things I liked: (1) guy actually had knowledge and experience with contracting stuff (brother local did it + experience building a home); (2) budget gave constraints; (3) girlfriend didn't insist he pick the move in ready place or put her desires over his or go over budget, and they made the sensible choice to pick the place that had the potential to be what they wanted most and take the time to fix it up and then move in.  I like both Victorians (which I doubt they could have afforded in the area) and cute little cottages like what they were looking at, appreciated that they both had history with the place, and appreciated that their demands were quite reasonable.

Girlfriend reminded me a bit of Gabrielle Anwar.

Edited by msmarjoribanks
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Richmond episode:  I know it's a nitpick but I got tired of them calling houses "ranchers."  Never heard that description before and I wonder if that's just in the Richmond area.

I grew up in Richmond and refer to ranch houses as "ranchers."  So don't know if it's exclusive to Richmond or not, but it sounds normal to me.  Probably a Southern thing. 

• Love 4
On 12/5/2018 at 9:31 AM, Empress1 said:

Nashville couple that was expecting a boy ... they were a nice couple. She reminded me of Meghan Markle. When he proposed and she was all shocked, I was thinking "Y'all are having a baby. You're already in it for life - you're MORE committed than you would be if you just got married and didn't have kids." I know House Hunters is staged but the Christmas scenes are really egregious. I loved the table that her grandfather had made.

Richmond woman buying her first house: they are a young-looking family. I kept thinking her grandmother was her mother. Her mother had beautiful smooth skin too. I can't remember if the house she bought had 1.5 baths or just one, but I was thinking that if she couldn't have two full bathrooms, she should at least have two toilets. It's a fine first place that she can update over time.

The Nashville woman looked like she knew what was coming-or at least a strong guess. When he said he had an additional ornament and started looking for it under the tree, she had her hand out and a weird look on her face.

• Love 1
On 11/23/2018 at 9:47 AM, msmarjoribanks said:

Eastern Washington couple with two little kids, husband was former football player.

I liked the middle house least -- the other two had great location-based features you can't add (the lake for the first one, plus a nice yard with pool, amazing views for the third), but I knew they'd pick the boring bland middle one because it was the biggest a new build (in a development still being built, everything looked the same) and had the white kitchen the wife of course thought was her dream.

I'm so bored of the white kitchen obsession.  

Wife was bugging me since she seemed to be a stay at home but kept complaining that her husband's budget was too small, he needed to open his wallet.

Third place (while I liked it a lot) was really too similar in size to the house they were leaving and over budget, so I would have picked the first and just reno'd it some.  It didn't need to be completely gutted like the wife was insisting.  But oh well, they are happy, even if I would have made a difference choice.  

I don't get the whole white kitchen obsession either. In a few years, they'll probably want beige or light brown or something and white will be passe. Go figure.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:21 AM, edie3 said:

Issaquah, WA. show.  Was there anything sweeter than the daughter crying over the new puppy?  

That was sweet.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:13 AM, msmarjoribanks said:

Yeah, I loved that they wanted all the defined rooms, and I think the place was charming, although lots of work.  I initially thought they should go with the second, as it seemed much more practical, but it seemed like they really loved the first and were willing to do the work over time.  I enjoyed them.

I thought the place they picked was a big money pit. To each their own though.

• Love 2
On 12/5/2018 at 9:31 AM, Empress1 said:

The Nashville woman did look a bit like Meghan Markle. I was wondering if anyone else thought that too. Yeah they make them go overboard in these Christmas episodes, I agree. 

I was thinking in the Richmond episode that her grandmother was her mother at first. They are all pretty young. I think she got the first one with the 1.5 bathrooms. It's not a big deal to have a 1.5 bathrooms. Basically her guests can do everything in the half bathroom except take a shower, so it's almost like having a second bathroom. 

On 12/5/2018 at 4:26 PM, Ohwell said:

I never heard the term ranchers. Is that supposed to just mean ranch? I don't know if its a regional thing.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Booklady1017 said:

I never heard the term ranchers. Is that supposed to just mean ranch? I don't know if its a regional thing.

Yes, it's supposed to mean a ranch-style house.  According to a couple of posters above, it's a southern thing.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Booklady1017 said:

I was thinking in the Richmond episode that her grandmother was her mother at first. They are all pretty young. I think she got the first one with the 1.5 bathrooms. It's not a big deal to have a 1.5 bathrooms. Basically her guests can do everything in the half bathroom except take a shower, so it's almost like having a second bathroom. 

Yeah, they all looked young, the grandmother easily could have been her mother based on looks.

I think the eastern WA one with the ex-football player you quoted me talking about was the other one I recall where the couple kept calling it a rancher, and the first time I've heard that term.  Maybe it's a western thing too (but I forget where the husband was from and he was the main one using it).

Yes, the first one with 1.5 bathrooms, and for a single person I think that's fine.  With a 2-story it's preferable to have a bathroom on the main floor, and a powder room is fine, she really didn't need 2 full baths.

I wanted her to pick the ranch house even though I don't like ranch houses normally because of the yard and just that she seemed to like it a lot/it was her style, but they were all fine.  That one only had one bath, but since it was all on one floor I think that's fine too, although you'd have to share with anyone who came over and needed to use it. My first place was a 2 bed/one bath condo and my sister lived with me for a while in it, and it was fine.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, msmarjoribanks said:

I don't know how varied Yorba Linda is, but I found it annoying during the show (as so often) that they said nothing about the specific area, any preferences, school considerations, etc.  I realize they never do (well, they often talk about commuting or walkability or being close to water -- never schools), but that would help put why they pick what they do in context.

They said in the beginning that she was an OB Dr and they were specifically looking in Yorba Linda to be closer to her job.  But, yes I agree that no one ever mentions schools, etc especially when they mention wanting to start a family.  When it comes to HH's, the walkability is only important when it pertains to bars/restaurants. If Junior has to attend a crap school on the corner of gang and ghetto, that's ok, as long they can walk to the Olive Garden.

I loved house #3, but of course, they picked the one that didn't have anything they wanted and complained about the most.  *Sigh*

22 hours ago, msmarjoribanks said:

Fernandina Beach, FL -- I thought I'd dislike this one (I usually don't like the beachy ones or the Florida ones and the description put me off), but I actually enjoyed it and liked the one they picked (taking into account it needs work and he is going to do it -- I'd love to see it when finished).  Things I liked: (1) guy actually had knowledge and experience with contracting stuff (brother local did it + experience building a home); (2) budget gave constraints; (3) girlfriend didn't insist he pick the move in ready place or put her desires over his or go over budget, and they made the sensible choice to pick the place that had the potential to be what they wanted most and take the time to fix it up and then move in.  I like both Victorians (which I doubt they could have afforded in the area) and cute little cottages like what they were looking at, appreciated that they both had history with the place, and appreciated that their demands were quite reasonable.

I didn't really care for her.  I don't know why, just something about her rubbed me the wrong way.  They were a good looking couple though. I liked him, but I have a feeling it's not going to work out.  They've only known each 6 months.  Her and her kids (2 or 3 of them) are going to move into that little house?  I know he said he's going to fix it up and add another bedroom and bathroom, but still.  The main living area and kitchen were small.  I'm curious to know where she and the kids have been living and why he didn't just move into her house?  I know he wanted to live closer to the beach, but with that many people under one roof, I would think having more sq footage and living a few miles away from the beach would win over cramming everyone in that little house.  I don't know...I felt like I was watching a HHI episode - not enough backstory and something seemed "off."

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, juliet73 said:

If Junior has to attend a crap school on the corner of gang and ghetto, that's ok, as long they can walk to the Olive Garden.

Hee, great description!  I am always flummoxed about the endless repetition of the same absolute "needs" that are totally superficial.  Get real for once.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Hee, great description!  I am always flummoxed about the endless repetition of the same absolute "needs" that are totally superficial.  Get real for once.

I think it's because the show assumes discussion of the important things would be boring.  Frustrating, though.

It's my birthday and there was a new Chicago one this morning waiting for me, which was like a present since those are my favorite (just because I live here and know the city and RE market, don't expect anyone else to share my feelings).  The description made me think I'd seen it before, but no -- it's just that every Chicago one lately seems to be "couple getting married, he wants modern loft with no reno, she wants vintage."  Anyway, it was pretty boring (I liked the couple fine) -- they didn't express any neighborhood preferences, and seemed to have a $400K budget that wasn't really that high (based on their jobs, anyway), and had totally different styles (supposedly).

Looked at the first place in Logan Square (currently trendy neighborhood that varies a lot within the neighborhood, I should find the specific location), and I thought probably not until I saw the next two and then it was screamingly obvious that the Logan place was the only realistic possibility.  The others were one in Printers Row that was certainly too expensive for them (especially with parking), and one in Lincoln Park (one of the more expensive neighborhoods) that was too small and needed more work and most significantly didn't seem to actually have room for an in-unit washer and dryer.

I love Chicago episodes but get frustrated (similar to the frustration noted above), since I usually think it would be easy to find places that better fit their budget/wants than anything shown on the show.  I'm sure there are reasons that constrained the actual search (like wanting to be in specific neighborhoods) that they frequently don't say.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, msmarjoribanks said:

Yeah, they all looked young, the grandmother easily could have been her mother based on looks.

I think the eastern WA one with the ex-football player you quoted me talking about was the other one I recall where the couple kept calling it a rancher, and the first time I've heard that term.  Maybe it's a western thing too (but I forget where the husband was from and he was the main one using it).

Yes, the first one with 1.5 bathrooms, and for a single person I think that's fine.  With a 2-story it's preferable to have a bathroom on the main floor, and a powder room is fine, she really didn't need 2 full baths.

I wanted her to pick the ranch house even though I don't like ranch houses normally because of the yard and just that she seemed to like it a lot/it was her style, but they were all fine.  That one only had one bath, but since it was all on one floor I think that's fine too, although you'd have to share with anyone who came over and needed to use it. My first place was a 2 bed/one bath condo and my sister lived with me for a while in it, and it was fine.

One person can definitely do a one bathroom home and unless they have guests a lot  they don't have to worry about sharing, true. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, edie3 said:

I really liked the couple in Indianapolis.  He was so funny.  And they were okay with waiting on some of the updating they wanted to do. How refreshing!

I loved them! I also liked the house they picked.

• Love 1
On 12/6/2018 at 11:49 PM, juliet73 said:

They said in the beginning that she was an OB Dr and they were specifically looking in Yorba Linda to be closer to her job.  But, yes I agree that no one ever mentions schools, etc especially when they mention wanting to start a family.  When it comes to HH's, the walkability is only important when it pertains to bars/restaurants. If Junior has to attend a crap school on the corner of gang and ghetto, that's ok, as long they can walk to the Olive Garden.

I loved house #3, but of course, they picked the one that didn't have anything they wanted and complained about the most.  *Sigh*

I didn't really care for her.  I don't know why, just something about her rubbed me the wrong way.  They were a good looking couple though. I liked him, but I have a feeling it's not going to work out.  They've only known each 6 months.  Her and her kids (2 or 3 of them) are going to move into that little house?  I know he said he's going to fix it up and add another bedroom and bathroom, but still.  The main living area and kitchen were small.  I'm curious to know where she and the kids have been living and why he didn't just move into her house?  I know he wanted to live closer to the beach, but with that many people under one roof, I would think having more sq footage and living a few miles away from the beach would win over cramming everyone in that little house.  I don't know...I felt like I was watching a HHI episode - not enough backstory and something seemed "off."

The proposal at the end definitely seemed off. She didn't surprised at all, and didn't say yes until the producer reminded her. I think that was staged.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, edie3 said:

I really liked the couple in Indianapolis.  He was so funny.  And they were okay with waiting on some of the updating they wanted to do. How refreshing!

I loved them too.  I also liked all three houses.  I was surprised they took #2, so wonder about neighborhoods, as I think that is often the unmentioned issue.

• Love 1
On 12/5/2018 at 11:46 PM, msmarjoribanks said:

There was some other episode where I noticed them calling it that.  Can't remember if it was in the South, but it was recent (could have been a rerun though).  I found it odd, since like you I'd not heard it before.

I heard Anita Corsini say it the other night on Flip or Flop Atlanta!  And like you, I never heard it before either and now I've heard it twice on two different shows!

• Love 1

Houses in Indianapolis seem to be a lot less expensive than in other parts of the country.  Of course, we don't know if these were really "in" Indianapolis of 20 miles or so out of the city where houses would typically be cheaper.  The price for that house with 3700 sq feet was pretty good, and they got a great yard with it, in addition to a 3 car garage.   

• Love 1
On 1/10/2017 at 3:43 PM, Totale said:

And just like the other two Louisville episodes I've seen this year, the buyer ends up in a bourgeois crackerbox a half hour away from town, which is not inconsiderable in a city the size of Louisville.  The first and third homes may actually have been in town or certainly nearby.  There are cool Victorians close to the city center I'd like to see inside of, and I'm lost why HH keeps heading out to the suburbs to showcase these modern builder grade palaces instead.

Just watched this one and had the same reaction.  I liked the first place and loved the third, which would have been my choice.

On 12/7/2018 at 11:43 PM, edie3 said:

I really liked them too! She was another one with a fear of basements and I can't remember what she said, but she said something about a basement as they were standing in one and he just cracked up. I happened to pause it at that moment and he had a huge grin on his face, his eyes were closed, and he was doubled over laughing. It was so great. I also loved her curls.

• Love 1

I think the reason we see the suburban cracker boxes is that even though the buyers claim they want Victorian, or vintage, or antique, they really want open concept, a man cave/movie room, huge closets, and modern electric, and plumbing.       Even when they do see a historic home, they want to gut the kitchen, tear out walls, and whine about the lack of closets.  

The reason I dislike basements is that if they ever leak, it's really hard and expensive to stop it, and I hate the musty smell many of them have.      Other places I've lived (basements are virtually unknown here, except for an occasional split level, with a walk out basement), the realtors would show you a house with basement bedrooms, but the windows weren't egress, so you couldn't use them for sleeping.        

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

I adore my basement (house is 1910, no musty smell), but I grew up in a place where most had basements (tornados were a deal), in theory one could have tornados here, although it doesn't really happen in the city, and in my specific neighborhood we are on a higher altitude than most of the city so supposedly protected from wetness.

I have my laundry down here, lots of storage (including my overflow library), and then my media area (so my woman cave, I guess).  And it's just cozy.  It is a walk out basement -- it goes out to the backyard.  In theory it has a bedroom, but I don't use it as a bedroom (I consider my place a 3 bed, although the basement bedroom would make 4).  Instead, the bedroom in the basement area is combination storage/overflow library.  The couch in the media area is pullout in case I have lots of guests or guests who want more privacy (there is a full bath down in the basement, and the other guest room is on the second floor where my bedroom is).  If my dad and his ladyfriend visit I may offer them the basement with TV vs. a smaller room next to me.

In my old place I didn't have my TV in the living room (as I hate TVs over the fireplace), but in my second level family room, and here I have a TV in the basement and in the master bedroom, but not on the main floor.

• Love 3

Loved the family who was relocating from Minnesota to Atlanta. They all just seemed really sweet and fun and nice. I liked all the houses they looked at too - the exterior of the first house was gorgeous.

Also liked the single mother of four (two bio, two foster) - and she pointed out how four kids would leave fingerprints all over stainless steel!

• Love 6