Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

I think they seemed fine and just figure a lot of his schtick was producer driven.

Except for his comment about neighbors being too close by, I, too, thought the couple was fine. I didn't think she was especially picky. I liked his calling the body of water a "pond" while she referred to it as a "lake". 

• Love 1

Ohwell, if the producers would give us more info on the locations of these houses rather than rerunning each one at the beginning of each segment, then perhaps some of their choices would make more sense.  Of course, we all know that none of he houses with furniture in them are ever going to be chosen because they aren't really for sale - at least 99.9% of the time. 

• Love 3
On 3/4/2017 at 10:22 AM, laredhead said:

Ohwell, if the producers would give us more info on the locations of these houses rather than rerunning each one at the beginning of each segment, then perhaps some of their choices would make more sense.  Of course, we all know that none of he houses with furniture in them are ever going to be chosen because they aren't really for sale - at least 99.9% of the time. 

I used to fast-forward through the furnished homes for that very reason. Until I saw one episode where all three homes were furnished. At the end, the husband said they bought the house furnished. Really? You spend $500,000 on a house, and you're going to buy someone else's couch and mattresses, which are probably filled with all kinds of jiz and fart smells?  I laughed at that one--clearly, they'd already moved their own furniture into the house. 

• Love 2

Well kid, if (Not So) Real Housewife of Temecula is paying for it, she gets to choose.  (Yeah he said he was putting some money into it, but that means mommy and daddy paid for his 6-year Barista degree.)

And what the heck is wrong with storing towels in a bathroom closet?

• Love 7

San Diego ep:  These people drove me crazy!!  First, the shallow aspect.  Mommy wore way too much makeup!  And her red dye job was so harsh! The son seemed very high maintenance which doesn't surprise me because the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  I understand Mommy wanting a say in which condo her son chose because she was putting money into it.  However, she was nitpicking EVERYTHING!!  And most of her complaining was all cosmetic!  1st condo has the cheap bathroom light fixture, no frame around the mirror, the flooring,  etc.  I understand wanting a nice return on your investment, but gees if he wants to keep the carpet, let him keep the carpet.  When it's time to sell, replace it with hardwood.  I rolled my eyes about his snarky comment that the SS appliances looked outdated and were probably from 2003!  Mommy didn't like the aesthetic look of the bars on the window.  I would be questioning why there were bars on the window.  Was the condo on the corner of Gang and Ghetto? Is the neighborhood up and coming? Was it a safe neighborhood, but an old paranoid lady live there prior?  2nd condo was super nice, but overpriced IMO.  A refrigerator would have taken up 1/2 the dining area!  3rd condo was just awful!  The only good thing about it was the washer and dryer was in the house.  But he didn't like it was in the kitchen because he likes to cook?! It's hidden behind a door!  He acted like there was a hotplate sitting on top of the washer and a mini fridge on top of the dryer.  But this is the same guy that doesn't like a linen closet IN the bathroom?!

• Love 7

San Diego 24-Year Old Whose Mother is His Best Friend

Until the end, I found this pair annoying. Later, I realized that they said things that they backed off from. Like the "roach motel" comment. The carpet being horrible, but then admitting (Mom) that she was just thinking about her dogs. The living area was too small, the bathroom very basic, the bars being awful, but then this was the better choice of the three places. She was supposed to be overbearing, the one dishing out the money. He was supposed to be mother-dominated. But their schtick felt forced to me. In the end, I "walked away" feeling that these were a couple of friends hamming it up a little, as directed.

His comment about the stainless steel was funny (he apparently liked the white appliances in his parents' place better, as did I) as was his love of the "farmhouse sink" which was merely a large, apron-less stainless steel sink. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, juliet73 said:

San Diego ep:  These people drove me crazy!!  First, the shallow aspect.  Mommy wore way too much makeup!  And her red dye job was so harsh! The son seemed very high maintenance which doesn't surprise me because the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  I understand Mommy wanting a say in which condo her son chose because she was putting money into it.  However, she was nitpicking EVERYTHING!!  And most of her complaining was all cosmetic!  1st condo has the cheap bathroom light fixture, no frame around the mirror, the flooring,  etc.  I understand wanting a nice return on your investment, but gees if he wants to keep the carpet, let him keep the carpet.  When it's time to sell, replace it with hardwood.  I rolled my eyes about his snarky comment that the SS appliances looked outdated and were probably from 2003!  Mommy didn't like the aesthetic look of the bars on the window.  I would be questioning why there were bars on the window.  Was the condo on the corner of Gang and Ghetto? Is the neighborhood up and coming? Was it a safe neighborhood, but an old paranoid lady live there prior?  2nd condo was super nice, but overpriced IMO.  A refrigerator would have taken up 1/2 the dining area!  3rd condo was just awful!  The only good thing about it was the washer and dryer was in the house.  But he didn't like it was in the kitchen because he likes to cook?! It's hidden behind a door!  He acted like there was a hotplate sitting on top of the washer and a mini fridge on top of the dryer.  But this is the same guy that doesn't like a linen closet IN the bathroom?!

You are about half right about the corner of Gang and Ghetto.  That condo was in a less than stellar neighborhood. It's in the process of gentrifying but it has a long way to go.  There was a probably a very good reason for the bars.  That would have sent me running from the get-go. Hence the inexpensive housing prices compared to the majority of urban San Diego.  I'm a native San Diegan and would never live in that neighborhood. Yeah, Mom was a bit over the top.  Interesting that no one referred back to the roach problem.

• Love 4

Interesting that no one referred back to the roach problem.

I'd take "outdated" appliances and unattractive bathroom lighting ten million times over a roach crawling up the wall.  Gross.  Can you imagine how many friends of it you'll be seeing once someone actually lives in the condo and has food scraps and garbage around?  

On a shallow note, San Diego mom was trying much too hard to look sexy with the makeup and dye job, but the short shorts were too much.

Agreed.  And he was trying too hard to mimic a sitcom character: "zany, gay, next door neighbor"!  Too precious!

• Love 5

I felt like the San Diego mom thought she was on an audition -- surely she'll be discovered after her appearance on HH!  I also wanted to remind her that her son is 24, not 4.  She still wants to run his life, but the saddest thing is that he goes along with it way too much.  I don't know San Diego well, but I figured that looking at anything more than a dog house for $200,000 wouldn't be in a good area.  

• Love 4
(edited)

If the San Diego son is straight, I pity any woman he brings home. Hell, if he's gay, I pity any guy he brings home. Mama is just too much with the bad red hair, too much makeup and fake bewbs. Her only concern is the dogs.  And what was with the Desperate Housewives comments?   I just didn't get that.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 3

@KLovestoShop, for the life of me, I don't understand why you would think the son being gay is even a remote possibility!

Is it me, or does it seem that only in recent years the under 35-crowd has "discovered" mid-century modern and Tudor homes? Seems it used to be ranch, Craftsman, and Spanish style. Before HGTV, I don't think I knew any home styles besides Cape Cod and split-level/ranch. The couple in Indianapolis was split between mid-century modern and Tudor. I wonder if, going into this, they were oblivious to home styles, but were shown pictures and told to demand a certain style. 

When did appliances become real property? The Indy woman was demanding a home with SS appliances. Instead of watching HGTV and learning about the latest in design and style, people should to tune into Mike Holmes on DIY and learn how to evaluate the structure's worth and not the window dressing. On Buy it Right, he taught people what to look for before they even entered the home. Pretty educational.

• Love 5
(edited)

I liked the comment by the Indy husband that one of the houses had an exterior that looked like a cat.  Before he said that , I thought the house looked like the Batman logo.

It really bugs me when a couple wants 2 bathrooms, and then decides that the master bathroom is too small for them to both share at the same time.  There are 2 bathrooms in the house, so one of them could use the other bathroom.  Why do they have to be in the same room at the same time daily?  If it's for HH "drama", please stop.  When I was married, my husband and I had 2 bathrooms and if one of us was occupying one bathroom, then the other person would use the unoccupied bathroom.   Why have a room that no one every uses?

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 6

I didn't get the Indianapolis couple. Wife was pretty and nice, husband went from being kind of funny to super-annoying many times so I couldn't decide if I liked him. 

My husband and I are creatives and we like mid-century style too. People our age tend to like it, and are just now able to afford buying homes, maybe that's why it seems popular? I doubt we'd ever be able to afford one though. 

Anyway, they picked the right house I thought (knowing nothing about Indianapolis)

On 3/6/2017 at 7:32 PM, pep4 said:

Well kid, if (Not So) Real Housewife of Temecula is paying for it, she gets to choose.  (Yeah he said he was putting some money into it, but that means mommy and daddy paid for his 6-year Barista degree.)

And what the heck is wrong with storing towels in a bathroom closet?

Well I am the mom in this episode and I can tell you firsthand we didn't pay for a 6 year Barista degree but ee did find your comment funny!  As for storing towels in the bathroom, I am right there with you on that one. 

• Love 2
On 3/7/2017 at 7:38 AM, Ohwell said:

On a shallow note, San Diego mom was trying much too hard to look sexy with the makeup and dye job, but the short shorts were too much.

Hilarious!  What you don't know is that it was easily 100 degrees outside and inside the sound guy has to turn off the AC so we were literally melting, including my makeup. Trying to be sexy is soooo not me.  As for my hair color, it looked incredibly bright, that was for sure. 

• Love 3
On 3/7/2017 at 10:59 AM, seenspotz said:

You are about half right about the corner of Gang and Ghetto.  That condo was in a less than stellar neighborhood. It's in the process of gentrifying but it has a long way to go.  There was a probably a very good reason for the bars.  That would have sent me running from the get-go. Hence the inexpensive housing prices compared to the majority of urban San Diego.  I'm a native San Diegan and would never live in that neighborhood. Yeah, Mom was a bit over the top.  Interesting that no one referred back to the roach problem.

I am the red headed mom in this episode. You all know that they want us to be opinionated right?  And, the editors piece the entire thing together??  The only unit I really did not like was #3. It literally had 9 walls in the bedroom.  As for the neighborhood, it was what he could afford. And owning was cheaper then renting.   Geez, remind me never to go on reality TV, you all are brutal!!!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Jvhawaii said:

Hilarious!  What you don't know is that it was easily 100 degrees outside and inside the sound guy has to turn off the AC so we were literally melting, including my makeup. Trying to be sexy is soooo not me.  As for my hair color, it looked incredibly bright, that was for sure. 

Still doesn't excuse the short shorts though. 

• Love 5
On 3/8/2017 at 10:35 AM, laredhead said:

I liked the comment by the Indy husband that one of the houses had an exterior that looked like a cat.  Before he said that , I thought the house looked like the Batman logo.

I totally thought that house looked like a cat!

• Love 1
On 3/8/2017 at 10:35 AM, laredhead said:

52 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

That was the funniest / strangest looking house I have ever seen on House Hunters.  Those dormers were something else ... I would have to have them redone.  I did like the red siding though.

The mid-century modern house would be a great project house if you had money and a great designer.  I was concerned that the right side of the car port looked seriously crooked, and of course the rest of the house didn't look well maintained at all, which is such a shame.

Back to Saratoga Springs, NY.  I can't believe people spend that much money up there.  Whew.  I forget if it was the house they chose, but one of the houses had a back staircase that put you right at the kitchen island.  I love a back staircase, but there didn't seem to be enough clearance space for me, especially if people were sitting at the island.

And San Diego mom, you are an attractive woman, so lay off of the Botox and fillers for a while.  Your forehead doesn't move at all, which to me doesn't look youthful, it just looks weird.

The husband of the Boston couple was a jerk.  He didn't like house one because it was too much, but it was OK because it gave him a nice office. Then he thought he was a great comedian with the bathroom.  I also thought his comment about "detesting" parts of the first house was obviously scripted.  I also noticed that things in the house was all about him---the cigar room.  For him it was all about my, my, my.   But of course, the house he complained about the most was the one they chose.  

• Love 1

I agreed with the Boston wife about the 2nd house.  The ceilings didn't look even 8' tall in that house, or else the HH's were tall people.  I'm not all about open floor plans, but I found it a bit chopped up for my taste as well.  Guess I'm not wild about those original colonial houses.  I'll just admire them from afar.  

I got tired of the husband's phrase "plastic fantastic".  Once or twice was enough, but they kept replaying over and over.  That is a huge house they bought.  I wonder what their winter utility bills are like? 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I got tired of the husband's phrase "plastic fantastic".  Once or twice was enough, but they kept replaying over and over.  That is a huge house they bought.  I wonder what their winter utility bills are like? 

I wondered about that too.  The house was still over budget, even with the reduction, and they have a heated pool to maintain.

I did love the house though.

• Love 2

I missed the first few minutes, so when they were looking at such large houses with so many bedrooms I figured they had at least 4 kids.  I was surprised to find it was just 2 little boys.  That was one big house for 4 people.

• Love 2

2 little boys who couldn't share a sink. I can remember 3 kids spitting in the sink at the same time, toothpaste spittle closer to the rim of the sink than the drain. Who cares? Really, at that age, who cares???

Isn't that funny, how, when someone purchases a large home, we're always wondering about utility bills and keeping the place clean? (That would be me, wondering about vacuuming and dusting and mopping.)

@Jvhawaii, I commend your guts and your good-natured responses.  If I were on HH or HHI, I would never return to this board for fear of reruns sparking new comments about my performance. 

• Love 9
On 3/9/2017 at 0:31 AM, Jvhawaii said:

Geez, remind me never to go on reality TV, you all are brutal!!!

Yeah, we can be. Hope you don't take it personally. This board is all about being nit picky. If we saw you at the grocery, we would ask you to have a drink before we would criticize you. Good luck to your son, hope the place is working out.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, mojito said:

2 little boys who couldn't share a sink. I can remember 3 kids spitting in the sink at the same time, toothpaste spittle closer to the rim of the sink than the drain. Who cares? Really, at that age, who cares???

Isn't that funny, how, when someone purchases a large home, we're always wondering about utility bills and keeping the place clean? (That would be me, wondering about vacuuming and dusting and mopping.)

@Jvhawaii, I commend your guts and your good-natured responses.  If I were on HH or HHI, I would never return to this board for fear of reruns sparking new comments about my performance. 

In the intro, they said they were renting and the boys had to share a room.  OMG, how can they live like that???  /sarcasm  Other then that comment and the overuse of 'plastic fantastic' they didn't bother me, although that house was huge!  I wouldn't want to have to keep it tidy, but I bet those boys will love living there. 

The house that had the other pool had such a cool back yard...I think that was the one with the vinyl siding. 

On 3/9/2017 at 2:36 PM, Pegasaurus said:

IDK, I thought she looked fine.  Wish my legs looked that good in shorts! I'm a native San Diegan and I know how hot it can get here. 

Thank you, I appreciate it. 

9 hours ago, mojito said:

7 hours ago, Babalooie said:

This site used to be called TELEVISION WITHOUT PITY.

That's hillarious and beleivable!

Edited by Jvhawaii
Mislabeled
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Ottis said:

Yeah, we can be. Hope you don't take it personally. This board is all about being nit picky. If we saw you at the grocery, we would ask you to have a drink before we would criticize you. Good luck to your son, hope the place is working out.

@Ottis of course! I nit pick myself.  And I am sure you all know that the  producers want us to be critical and disagree.  

10 hours ago, mojito said:

@mojito  thank you for your kind words! 

• Love 4
On 3/9/2017 at 2:36 PM, Pegasaurus said:

IDK, I thought she looked fine.  Wish my legs looked that good in shorts! I'm a native San Diegan and I know how hot it can get here. 

@MoreCoffeePlease  thank you for your feedback however I do not get filler, but I do get Botox between my eyes. And if you have a deep lines there also I would highly suggest it. I drink at least six bottles of water a day, I work out six days a week, and I work 50 hours a week and last but not least I'm 46.   So, I'm going to own it and I'm going to wear shorts!  

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 3/9/2017 at 6:52 AM, Ohwell said:

Still doesn't excuse the short shorts though. 

@Ohwell   Maybe you are right, maybe I should dress like Michelle Duggar from 19 kids and counting.   We can't stop laughing about your comment. I'm not quite sure how a long sleeve top and shorts  are inexcusable.   As I said in another post, I'm 46 and I work hard for those legs so if it's 100° out with no AC, I'm going to show them off!    I wish you well, and I too will criticize people when I watch the show, thats one of the best parts about watching it. 

• Love 5
On 3/7/2017 at 7:39 PM, KLovestoShop said:

If the San Diego son is straight, I pity any woman he brings home. Hell, if he's gay, I pity any guy he brings home. Mama is just too much with the bad red hair, too much makeup and fake bewbs. Her only concern is the dogs.  And what was with the Desperate Housewives comments?   I just didn't get that.  

If the son said the word spacious one more time I was gonna hurl. It was kind of annoying. Oddly enough, I thought the mother was kind of pretty. Slightly (HH) annoying but pretty. I remember when I bought my first 1 bed/1 bath with washer & dryer in the unit in 1990. It cost $58,000. OH HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED. LOL!!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1

Boston husband was kind of a dick. If he was so concerned about the price, them maybe he should have lowered the budget and looked at houses in the $600k range. I'm sure they could have found one that had two sinks in the kid's bathroom and no "fantastic plastic." I did love the house they chose, but I loved the backyard of house 3. On a decorating note: their furniture looked very dowdy in such a high end house. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

Boston husband was kind of a dick. If he was so concerned about the price, them maybe he should have lowered the budget and looked at houses in the $600k range. I'm sure they could have found one that had two sinks in the kid's bathroom and no "fantastic plastic." I did love the house they chose, but I loved the backyard of house 3. On a decorating note: their furniture looked very dowdy in such a high end house. 

I totally agree about their furniture. I was slightly appalled. It was very 90's looking. When I saw the sectional I was horrified. LOL!!! I liked the house & the awesome backyard. Did he think he was funny saying plastic fantastic everytime? It wasn't and he isn't. They were a very good looking couple though. I would say I feel sorry for them but I can't. They are both good looking with lots of money. It sounds like a perfect life to me. LOL!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

If the son said the word spacious one more time I was gonna hurl. It was kind of annoying. Oddly enough, I thought the mother was kind of pretty. Slightly (HH) annoying but pretty. I remember when I bought my first 1 bed/1 bath with washer & dryer in the unit in 1990. It cost $58,000. OH HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED. LOL!!!!

I don't think I could have said "turn key" anymore than I did either!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Jvhawaii said:

I don't think I could have said "turn key" anymore than I did either!

I think it's great with the positivie outtake you've been showing here. Of course, you could be trolling us and it ain't you. LOL!!!

BTW! What color did he "you" finally decide on? Yellow? Blue? Neutral brown? LOL!!!!

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I think it's great with the positivie outtake you've been showing here. Of course, you could be trolling us and it ain't you. LOL!!!

BTW! What color did he "you" finally decide on? Yellow? Blue? Neutral brown? LOL!!!!

@ByaNose all those paint swatches are on the wall still. He hasn't done a thing yet. But,  he did decide that he did not like carpet after all after seeing how dirty it gets and  he is getting hardwood floors put in!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Jvhawaii said:

@ByaNose all those paint swatches are on the wall still. He hasn't done a thing yet. But,  he did decide that he did not like carpet after all after seeing how dirty it gets and  he is getting hardwood floors put in!

Too funny! How long has it been? He might as well make them all long stripes if he can't decide. LOL!!! Also, I envy living in San Diego. It's currently 25 degrees in Philadelphia and we're expecting a major snowstorm on Tuesday. 

10 hours ago, ByaNose said:

They were a very good looking couple though.

Ha - there was one point where I paused the TV to do something in another room and came back, and I'd paused it on a shot of just the husband. I thought "Yikes, he's not a good-looking guy." I mean, he's a specific TYPE of good-looking guy (very New England), but it's not my type at all.

I have a friend from the Boston suburbs who grew up in a house with a pool and her parents had a hard time selling it because of the pool. People thought the upkeep and cost weren't worth it; you can only use it a couple of months out of the year (although with climate change, that may no longer be true - this was about ten years ago that they were selling). I love the water and if I had to live somewhere where it was hot all year round, I'd definitely want a pool, but I don't think I'd want one as far north as Boston.

23 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Ha - there was one point where I paused the TV to do something in another room and came back, and I'd paused it on a shot of just the husband. I thought "Yikes, he's not a good-looking guy." I mean, he's a specific TYPE of good-looking guy (very New England), but it's not my type at all.

I have a friend from the Boston suburbs who grew up in a house with a pool and her parents had a hard time selling it because of the pool. People thought the upkeep and cost weren't worth it; you can only use it a couple of months out of the year (although with climate change, that may no longer be true - this was about ten years ago that they were selling). I love the water and if I had to live somewhere where it was hot all year round, I'd definitely want a pool, but I don't think I'd want one as far north as Boston.

Yeah, I think Boston might be limiting of pool use. Obviously, you get a summer but for the expense of the pool it might not be worth it. I'm sure he was fine either way but he didn't want one to begin with. I'm sure they will gets lots of use with their boys. At least, a good 10 years or so. 

• Love 1

So, Jvhawaii, are our speculations true?  Had your son already purchased the house before the show was filmed.  Were the additional 2 simply plants?  Was teh realtor an actual realtor or a fake?  Spill!

• Love 2
On 3/11/2017 at 11:05 AM, Kohola3 said:

So, Jvhawaii, are our speculations true?  Had your son already purchased the house before the show was filmed.  Were the additional 2 simply plants?  Was teh realtor an actual realtor or a fake?  Spill!

@Kohola3 the realtors are real!  And, I am sworn to secrecy!

On 3/11/2017 at 7:51 AM, ByaNose said:

Too funny! How long has it been? He might as well make them all long stripes if he can't decide. LOL!!! Also, I envy living in San Diego. It's currently 25 degrees in Philadelphia and we're expecting a major snowstorm on Tuesday. 

@ByaNose we filmed in August so it has been some time. It was 90 degrees here in Temecula were I live and probably 80 in San Diego. 

It's well documented that the people featured on HH have already purchased or are in escrow for a home, and the other homes are decoys. All you have to do is look at the requirements to be on the show to see this, There is no need for a participant to "spill",

• Love 4

Pet peeve here:  I binge watched a bunch of the episodes from February and March, and I hate, hate, hate when they are in an empty room and start with the 'I visualize a flat screen here, and a sectional here' with the dumb ass graphics.  I don't give one crap about how any of these people may or may not decorate their home, I watch the show to see the homes.   I know they have done this before, but it is far more frequent and I fast forward as it annoys me no end.  That and the constant reshowing of scenes we saw 5 seconds ago are the super annoying...instead of wasting time like that, they could show another house!  Of course, that would take more money I am sure, but still...ANNOYING.  lol

• Love 2
On 3/10/2017 at 10:24 PM, juliet73 said:

Boston husband was kind of a dick. If he was so concerned about the price, them maybe he should have lowered the budget and looked at houses in the $600k range.

I didn't get this at all, and in fact I had empathy for him as it was clear his wife was going to get what she wanted, budget be damned. We never know the finances of HH shoppers, but I like to think they start at a number that makes sense and a stretch number is just that. and not that they go in low-balling the number vs. what they could actually afford. The husband was portrayed as more budget conscious (a good thing, IMO) on the house price while still appreciating nice features, and his view on a pool in *Boston* of all places seemed very logical. The "plastic fantastic" was annoying due to sheer repetition.

BTW, did the wife remind anyone of Lori from The Walking Dead? OK, just me, maybe. 

Edited by Ottis