Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Andrew Savage

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Meet Andrew Savage from Survivor: Pearl Islands (Season 7), who returns to play on Survivor Cambodia: Second Chance.

You may remember this big-hearted fella from Survivor: Pearl Islands , where he placed 10th.

He didn't win the season, but did experience a moment of victory when he led the Morgan Tribe to a much-needed Immunity win by getting into beast mode and holding up 180 pounds worth of weight. He was a victim of the controversial Outcast Twist—a change of events that nobody saw coming—that allowed two ousted castaways to return to the game and sent the Morgan Tribe to Tribal Council.

Here's your Andrew Savage topic. 

• Love 1

Love that Savage is back!  I hated the Outcast twist and hope it never rears it's ugly head again.  Though I sometimes wonder if I would have liked it better if it hadn't brought back to Lil and Burton, two of my least favorite players ever.  In fact, of all the people on the Outcast tribe, they were the ones I wanted to have back least.  I know Andrew catches flack for aligning with Osten (perhaps one of the most worthless players to ever play) over keeping Ryan and Lil, but really, that was a no win situation.  I remember knowing Ryan had to be screwed because he got so much airtime in the first two episodes.  And that was back in the day when it was equal opportunity for airtime.  Hoping Andrew makes it far., but unsure how he'll do.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Savage is coming off as a major douce bag this season. I can't tell if it's editing or it's really just him. He had me feeling so bad for his life with the hot wife and all. NOT!!!! Also, he shouldn't have died his hair because it's not a good look and doesn't match his gray beard and man scaping chest.

• Love 2

"Well, I had just driven home from my work as a high-powered corporate lawyer in my Bentley brand sports car, when I saw a world-travelling top model in my apartment, and I can tell you, it made me sweat right in my bespoke Armani suit!"  (sobs)

• Love 16

Very funny, KimberStormer.  (Really.)  I reacted pretty much the same as you.  The people in his alliance seemed deeply moved, though, including Jeremy, Tasha and Kass.  Which makes me think you had to be there, there was more to the story, or the editing did not present things in the most favorable light.

• Love 2

I still love Savage.  But, something about that whole scene made no sense.  Either they left a huge chunk out, or his tribe was trying to be sports and pretended to be moved, for his benefit.  I don't know why they would leave something else out, but considering the editors we are talking about, I wouldn't be surprised.  I can't believe Jeff would let one of his beloved alpha males get shown in a bad light, especially Andrew.  But maybe Jeff doesn't have as much to do with the behind the scenes as I thought.

I put this in Stephen's thread about Andrew, but I'll also repeat it here: he really doesn't seem to be adapting.  Or, I guess, he doesn't seem to have learned from his previous stint.  He's been doing great, but his tribe has been winning.  So since we haven't had to see a lot of strategy talk from his group, maybe I'm wrong.  When Jeff said at TC about learning from past mistakes or being destined to repeat your same fate, I don't know, I felt like if Bayon had been hearing that speech, it would have applied to Andrew.  I am hopeful he lasts.  I thought he got screwed the first time, and I don't really think we'll be seeing him a 3rd or 4th time like his overrated PI castmate Rupert.  It just seems like he's got his alliance, and that's it.  He doesn't give me the impression he thinks he needs to be doing more, and being the worker bee around camp that's good in challenges will be enough.

"Well, I had just driven home from my work as a high-powered corporate lawyer in my Bentley brand sports car, when I saw a world-travelling top model in my apartment, and I can tell you, it made me sweat right in my bespoke Armani suit!"  (sobs)

Well, isn't that the stuff soap operas are made off? Nice segue there by the editors (someone on the other tribe had just said Abi was her own soap opera and we move to the real thing). Audience in tears on the island and WTF reaction from the viewers. Yes, I think that pretty much summarizes it. 

• Love 3

I was curious about that and apparently a lot of other people are too because when I type "Andrew Savage" into Google, the first autocomplete is "Andrew Savage wife." In any case, I didn't find a picture. I looked at the pictures he posted on his twitter thinking there might be one, but all the pictures are of him, and in most of them he's shirtless. I was not surprised by that result.

• Love 5

Eliza does not like Andrew Savage. She wanted Rob Has a Podcast to use #fuckandrewsavage for last nights podcast.

OK, so she doesn't like anyone who calls out Stephen for his bad game play.

Her little NYC clique is so ridiculous.  This is the same group that supposedly gave Andrea hell during Caramoan for voting out Francesca.  They are known as the 'wine and cheese'.  Very fitting.

• Love 1

Yup that is the group.

Stephen through a hissy fit on Twitter last week beacuse Rob didn't kiss his ass regarding the first episode. Rob and Josh had fun with Stephen's edit and Stephen and the wine and cheese club was pissed.

I don't like them. Not at all.

But I did agree that Savage's comments about Stephen were way harsh. Stephen has no honor, diginity, morals and other things because he suggested Jeremy was searching for an idol? OK. Just a weeeee bit over the top. Still #fuckandrewsavage is a bit much.

• Love 3

yeah, I never heard of Andrew Savage or friends campaigning about a Survivor player, but this clique of Stephen/Eliza and who knows who else were pretty harsh on Andrea for what exactly? voting out a player that was so bad she managed to be voted out first the two times she played? TBH this whole chapter soured me about both Stephen and Eliza - and now I see that as this is Savage's page I'm totally off topic, so:

You, sir Savage, rock because you did not initiate any campaign against any person being broadcast on Survivor (I believe you sir are indeed a proven lawyer, whereas I am not sure how Eliza's career has evolved since her law student days);

you sir Savage have a amazing talent to emotionally touch your tribemates - to the point of actual tears; I do not recall that either Ms. Orlins or Mr. (Stephen)?? ever manifested that talent on TV.  

Seriously, Eliza!? 

• Love 2

Yeah, this makes me think less of Stephen and kind of hope he doesn't get some redemption arc.  Eliza is such an annoying little twit, I can't even believe she managed to get on her a second time.  She equally sucks at the game.  Maybe Stephen's upset because people are stealing his thunder and he's not the mega fan favorite.  Eliza's whole clique consists of Francesca, Brian from Guatemala, Josh/Reed, Stephen, and Monica.  Bunch of winners there.  Am I missing anyone?

This makes me root for Andrew even more.  Also, while I think something may have been missing in the story about Andrew's wife, I hope Dan was seething with rage that they never showed him crying over his own wife.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

Yeah, this makes me think less of Stephen and kind of hope he doesn't get some redemption arc.  Eliza is such an annoying little twit, I can't even believe she managed to get on her a second time.  She equally sucks at the game.  Maybe Stephen's upset because people are stealing his thunder and he's not the mega fan favorite.  Eliza's whole clique consists of Francesca, Brian from Guatemala, Josh/Reed, Stephen, and Monica.  Bunch of winners there.  Am I missing anyone?

This makes me root for Andrew even more.  Also, while I think something may have been missing in the story about Andrew's wife, I hope Dan was seething with rage that they never showed him crying over his own wife.

Monica lives in LA so she is not part of the clique (though I think she was with them recently in NYC). The others you missed were Courtney Yates, Sophie Clarke and I believe Andrea is back in the mix as well.  Also, now that she lives in NY, Parvati and Jon Finchner hang out with them as well.  Also, Kim Mullen from Survivor Palau.

Edited by LanceM

As a huge Stephen fan, I feel I should mention that he has said repeatedly on the podcast that he doesn't really hang out with the Survivor wine and cheese people much anymore. One of his concerns in going on September one chances was that everyone thinks he has a lot of connections, but Rob is the one with the connections.

I don't think it's fair to assume that he is close friends with Eliza or anyone else just because they support him on the show.

yeah, I never heard of Andrew Savage or friends campaigning about a Survivor player, but this clique of Stephen/Eliza and who knows who else were pretty harsh on Andrea for what exactly? voting out a player that was so bad she managed to be voted out first the two times she played? TBH this whole chapter soured me about both Stephen and Eliza - and now I see that as this is Savage's page I'm totally off topic, so:

You, sir Savage, rock because you did not initiate any campaign against any person being broadcast on Survivor (I believe you sir are indeed a proven lawyer, whereas I am not sure how Eliza's career has evolved since her law student days);

you sir Savage have a amazing talent to emotionally touch your tribemates - to the point of actual tears; I do not recall that either Ms. Orlins or Mr. (Stephen)?? ever manifested that talent on TV.  

Seriously, Eliza!?

Just FYI, Eliza is a public defender in New York. I think Manhattan, but I'm not sure. These public defender jobs are highly competitive for lawyers who want to do public interest work and they go through several rounds of tough interviews.

• Love 2

Yup that is the group.

Stephen through a hissy fit on Twitter last week beacuse Rob didn't kiss his ass regarding the first episode. Rob and Josh had fun with Stephen's edit and Stephen and the wine and cheese club was pissed.

I don't like them. Not at all.

But I did agree that Savage's comments about Stephen were way harsh. Stephen has no honor, diginity, morals and other things because he suggested Jeremy was searching for an idol? OK. Just a weeeee bit over the top. Still #fuckandrewsavage is a bit much.

I doubt that after podcasting with Rob for years, Stephen expected Rob to "kiss his ass."

Stephen tweeted afterwards that he was momentarily upset about their comments because he thought that he had let everyone down. He went back to his usual good humour immediately.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 1

Even, when Rob was interviewing Savage in the pre-game interviews he pronounced it as Fish-boch. Rob didn't correct him then so he might really think that's how it's pronounced and/or heard like. Savage really did have a preconceived notion about Stephen and it wasn't a good one. It doesn't appear to have changed once they hit the beach either. Once again, it will be interesting to see who will last longer and who will get whom out first?!

Well, he wasn't lying about the beautiful wife, she reminds me a little of a young Karen Allen in that picture. 

Come on Survivor, if Andrew makes it to the family visit, mess with him a little and have Lil come out instead of his wife. "Your wife couldn't make it, but we found an old friend at the last minute."

• Love 5

Well, they make a pretty looking couple. I'm still not sure the point of Andrew's story but I guess he wanted to get his point across that she was hot. LOL!!!! So, he's a lawyer, works for Yahoo, has a hot wife and he's good looking. Yeah, I don't want him to win 1 Million Dollars. LOL!!!!

• Love 2

Well, they make a pretty looking couple. I'm still not sure the point of Andrew's story but I guess he wanted to get his point across that she was hot. LOL!!!! So, he's a lawyer, works for Yahoo, has a hot wife and he's good looking. Yeah, I don't want him to win 1 Million Dollars. LOL!!!!

I'm immediately reminded of a quote from Rustler's Rhapsody:

Rex O'Herlihan: [After Bob shot first in a shoot-out] You're not a good guy at all!

Bob Barker: I'm a lawyer, you idiot!

Somewhere Varner said that the story was really that his now wife was his roommates girlfriend. They edited out the part where he steals his roommates girlfriend. That might be why the story completely lacked drama and fell flat.

I saw it quoted on RHAP by a poster but I don't know where they got it from. They didn't post the source.

Edited by rose711

Somewhere Varner said that the story was really that his now wife was his roommates girlfriend. They edited out the part where he steals his roommates girlfriend. That might be why the story completely lacked drama and fell flat.

I saw it quoted on RHAP by a poster but I don't know where they got it from. They didn't post the source.

varner did a periscope yesterday. he doesnt like savage. Said that savage's story in E2 was rediculous since it was a "story of infidelity". He didnt say anothing about editing tho.

• Love 2

varner did a periscope yesterday. he doesnt like savage. Said that savage's story in E2 was rediculous since it was a "story of infidelity". He didnt say anothing about editing tho.

I didn't think I could think less of that story, but as it happens I was wrong.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 4

Maybe I got it wrong. Thanks for that explanation because I didn't see it mentioned in any interview.

And, if he did steal his his wife from his best friend why were they crying about his "love story"? It would seem to me others would be grossed out by it. LOL!!!! Of course, these things do happen.

• Love 1

I think everyone who was there was moved about how he discussed his wife and less the real context of the story. They were on day four or five and had already been gone from home for about two weeks by the time they started playing. I am sure they were all homesick and thinking of family. Andrew's story brought them to that place and they responded. I suspect that they might have had different reactions if he told that story over drinks at the bar or they were home watching TV like we were. The environment played a huge factor int ehir response.

• Love 4

I just like that Andrew got the teary eyed wife story on episode 2 and Dan didn't (since that was such a thorn in his side).

I know I'm giving the editors more credit than they deserve, but I am enjoying the idea that they included this (otherwise meaningless) scene just to get back at Dan.

• Love 8

I know I'm giving the editors more credit than they deserve, but I am enjoying the idea that they included this (otherwise meaningless) scene just to get back at Dan.

Ha, I love this theory (and honestly, they went WAY out of their way to get back at Dan at the reunion, it's not out of the realm of possibility that one of the editors remembered that.) 

I'm guessing the reason for its inclusion was to set up the married guys vs Stephen dynamic that played out. 

Andrew's quote that started off "Stephen is lacking in some of the areas the rest of us have..." sounded at first like he was judging Stephen's personal life vs his or Jeremy's, as if a single guy couldn't possibly understand missing home. (Shades of Terry Dietz's infamous "wives trump mothers" rationale for choosing family reward participants back in Panama.) 

He eventually veered off into saying Stephen has no morals or values, but that wasn't how it sounded to me at first. 

• Love 2

I'm guessing the reason for its inclusion was to set up the married guys vs Stephen dynamic that played out. 

I never saw it when I watched but you're right! makes plenty of sense...

• Love 2

I will love hearing how Savage spins the story of Stephen having no morals & values. "I didn't mean it to sound that way" " I wish I could have worded it differently" "The editors left out what I said before & after that comment"

I will love hearing how Savage spins the story of Stephen having no morals & values. "I didn't mean it to sound that way" " I wish I could have worded it differently" "The editors left out what I said before & after that comment"

Yeah, what could possibly come before and after "he has no morals and values" that could make that ok?  Um, perhaps what he said was:

"Steve is the greatest guy and you could never say of him that....[long pause]... he has no morals and values...[long pause]...because he is the most ethical guy I've ever met."

Maybe that's how it went down? 

• Love 1

I doubt that he has a beef with Tasha because of what we saw. That is game play and if he dislikes Tasha and Andrew because they took advantage of the cracks in his four person "alliance" then he is being petty. I suspect that we are going to see something else or hear about some other things that happened that will cause the attitude that Jeff has.

• Love 1

Yeah, if what we saw is the whole of it, IMHO, that would reflect very badly on Jeff. Jeff did something shady and got caught. Tasha and Savage were able to use it effectively. So far, they weren't rude and didn't even end up voting him out over it. He was clearly in on the vote.

Edited by Zuleikha

I have to think there is more to Varner's beef with Tasha (didn't know he had one with Savage).  I would think Jeff of all people would respect that what Tasha and Savage did was great game play on their part.  If he really was upset that Tasha and Savage pulled one over on him and got Abi to their side, then that is really petty.  Especially since Jeff kind of did it to himself.  He might have gone along with the vote because Abi was deadset on voting with Tasha and Savage, and if he didn't go along with it, at worst it would force a tie (and he might have been on the losing end of a rock draw or drawn the ire of his tribemates if Abi/Tasha/Savage all survived).

Savage is looking with the scruff. What is it with guys and the scruff that makes them better looking on the island. Even, Varner looks good. There is one thing that bugs me about Savage. I might be the only who even notices it but he's always rubbing the side of the stomach with his thumb. It's so weird. It's like he trying to get something off his body but there isn't anything there that I see. Maybe, it's a just a weird habit. Someone, I know suggested he's doing it in a sort of pose and trying to look cool. I swear I'm not making it up. He was doing it last week when he was talking to Jeremy. Anyway, Savage is looking awesome with the scruff and pecs. It doesn't appear that he put on extra weight like Terry did so I will be curious if he'll be sporting an 8 pack by next week.

Savage is looking with the scruff. What is it with guys and the scruff that makes them better looking on the island. Even, Varner looks good. There is one thing that bugs me about Savage. I might be the only who even notices it but he's always rubbing the side of the stomach with his thumb. It's so weird. It's like he trying to get something off his body but there isn't anything there that I see. Maybe, it's a just a weird habit. Someone, I know suggested he's doing it in a sort of pose and trying to look cool. I swear I'm not making it up. He was doing it last week when he was talking to Jeremy. 

Now I'm going to concentrate on the stomach thumb rubbing.  I appreciate that because i was getting a little obsessed with his fake teeth and reddish-brown plugs.  Hopefully I'll now have something else to look at.

He does look better with the scruff though, I agree.  

There is one thing that bugs me about Savage. I might be the only who even notices it but he's always rubbing the side of the stomach with his thumb. It's so weird. It's like he trying to get something off his body but there isn't anything there that I see. Maybe, it's a just a weird habit. Someone, I know suggested he's doing it in a sort of pose and trying to look cool. I swear I'm not making it up. He was doing it last week when he was talking to Jeremy.

Maybe back home he likes to wear suspenders...?

• Love 2

Savage looked awesome in the Hero Challenge and won. Is Probst doing all of the editing of Andrew Savage this season? It's always Savage, Savage, Savage! Also, why is Savage such a Debbie Downer in his confessionals? He comes off so entitled. Like, he was the only one affected by the Outcast twist. That said, Savage & Dietz are doing wonders for the 50+ crowd. Can their trunks get any smaller?! LOL!!! Yes, I'm in 5th grade.

• Love 2

When did the male contestants start getting access to razors? I could have sworn that last episode, he had a noticeably white/grey beard. This probably also explains why he waxed his chest, it probably comes in grey and makes him feel old.

But this episode, I thought his face looked more clean shaven. Am I making this up? I don't recall any male contestants ever shaving. Usually he only ones without full beards are the ones who can't grow them, like Joe.

• Love 1

I didn't notice much difference but I'll have to check again. He had his normal dark brown dye job hair, gray beard and waxed chest. He's sort of like a rainbow. All different colors. LOL!!! If he survives the merge I'm guessing he will could possibly have a longer gray beard. I'm assuming his hair won't change since that usually last about 6 weeks or more. If you look at pictures from his first season he wasn't man scaling. That's why I like Terry. He left his gray hair in and he didn't wax his chest. They are just two 50+ dudes with one trying to look younger and the other aging gracefully.

• Love 1

Andrew just doesn't bother me that much. He is who he is and he is transparent as all hell and gone. He is the stereotypical Alpha White Male who has the high paying job, the hot wife, and feels like he needs to be the provider for everyone.

So, yeah he is the stereotype and that is kind of annoying but he does seem to love his wife and I am not going to blame him for loving his life. I don't know what he does to support charities and the like, probably more then I do because I am lame and don't do enough.

Yes, his comments about Stephen were over the top and ridiculous. Is it possible that he played it that way in order to decrease the likelihood that Jeremy partners with Stephen.

Yeah, Savage does seem to have it all. Unfortunatly, he comes off smarmy & entitled. He is getting a big he-man edit. I guess it's accurate but he could probably be the nicest guy in the world. Who really knows, right?

• Love 2

Jeff P totally has a boner for Andrew and the Alpha males. Totally, 100% and it is annoying. Mainly because I think it shows that Jeff  really doesn't understand the game and the fact that Alpha Males are rarely in a good place to win and that they make boring TV. They win and then they are gone when they don't. Very few of the Alphas have been good with strategy.

I don't know his full back story but he has played college sports,he has a great job and a hot wife who he loves. I do know that he had to graduate from college and law school and be successful enough as a lawyer to be where he is today. That means lots of hours and time and a high level of success. I doubt that everything that he has was handed to him. So I guess I don't see him as entitled.

Smarmy, yes. Better placed in life because he is a white man and had many more oppertunities then someone who is not a white man, yes. Even better placed in life because he is an athlete, yes. But I don't know about entitled. I have not heard him say anything that indicates that he thinks he deserves everything that he has so I don't see the entitled.

I guess I am ok with his being happy and content where he is. I look at Aras and Vytas, Vytas appears to be seething with rage because he is not Aras and he has not figured out how to be ok with that. Aras seems to be comfortable in his skin, Vytas seems like he is figuring out how to be comfortable in his skin. Andrew is comfortable in his skin. He is tone deaf, I don't think he realizes he comes off as smarmy and entitled. I think he is happy with who he is and willing to share his happiness in his life.

I guess his happiness and the like doesn't bother me nearly as much as Vytas being pissed off and smarmy. Based on what we are seeing, the others playing right now don't seem to be bothered by Andrew. Tasha and he get along. Jeremy seemed to be fine with Andrew. I didn't see anyone who was overly upset with his story when he was telling it. Vyas struck me as entitled. The idea that he was deprived because his brother was the golden boy and all the problems that caused him. If only Aras hadn't been the golden boy, Vytas would have been in a better place.

I just can't find his being happy with having a great life annoying. I find the over the top pronouncment that Stephen lacked diginity, honor and all sorts of other stuff annoying but that is seperate from his being cool with his life.

I see that people are pretty critical of the folks who have done well in life and are in a really good place. Heck, people were hammering on Shirin discussing having made her first million before age whatever. Shirin, who also shared that she was physically and emotionally abused as a child and was at least somewhat disconencted from her Mother, was dinged because she had founda way to work hard and make a million dollars. Why shouldn't be proud of where she is given where she came from? Why shouldn't Andrew be happy with where he is at this point in his life?

I found Shirin's comment more annoying then Andrew because she was throwing it out there as an attack at final tribal. Andrew was sharing a story that meant something to him and expressed his love of his wife and his life. It is easily interprited as bragging but I am not sure that is what he was doing.

(shrugs)

Edited by ProfCrash
  • Love 4