Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

When I saw the downpour at the start of the game I knew it was going to be a sloppy night.

This season is just weird to me. It's been a steady stream of bad injuries, bad teams and one-sided games. It's like there's the top contenders (Denver, NE, Carolina, Cinci, GB) and everyone else. There's no middle of the road this year. The London games have been crap, next week's MNF is going to be crap, it's just a very ho-hum season thus far.

• Love 5

Rain always makes a game sloppy. Easy to criticize when you're sitting in the comfort of your home and not out there trying to catch a soaking ball or run in mud. Considering the elements, it was an entertaining last quarter and wish the Colts pulled it off.

I thought last nights game was awesome! Of course, I'm a Carolina fan so I'm glad they pulled out the win but it was pretty close the whole night and the rain added an extra element of play to the field. I'm not sure what people need to happen in order to have a so called "fun" game but to me last night had it all. Cam Newton was a beast on the field doing most of the work for the offense (which is a problem in and of itself but it's entertaining as hell to watch). I couldn't hang for the whole thing and went to bed around 11:15 when the Panthers were 17 points ahead. I woke up to find out they only won by 3! What the hell happened? Now I wish I could have stayed awake to see the whole thing!

It seems like automatically unless the teams playing these Primetime games are the big name teams (Packers, Patriots, Broncos, Steelers, Giants) people are quick to call it a boring game. You can have a fun game between two teams you might not particularly root for,

• Love 2

I wonder if Cleveland would trade Johnny Manziel to San Francisco for ... God, do the 9ers even have anything to trade?

Draft picks. But if the Niners have any sense they'll be trying to accumulate picks rather than trade them away. Their roster is a mess. Kaepernick is terrible, but he always was. He just got the hype train behind him, and people convinced themselves he was a good QB.

As for injuries this season, there do seem to be a lot but I'd bet the statistics would suggest it's no more than usual. Just a lot of high profile players going down, in a short period of time. The Ravens are really suffering with the injuries, again. Lost Steve Smith Sr, who is now saying he'll come back next year. But honestly I think this might just be too big an obstacle for him. He's had a few injuries this year, and at 36/37 years old, trying to come back from a torn achilles? It feels like his body is telling him, 'enough is enough'.

God, I just hope all these injuries aren't used as an excuse for Dean Pees, who has been abjectly horrible as a defensive coordinator. He's taken the Ravens from a top 5 defence to dead last, yet people continue to make excuses for him.

How come Aaron Rodgers doesn't get any criticism for coming up small at home in a big game once again?

The game was in Denver, Rodgers' first time playing in Mile High.

Rodgers' has been pretty good at home. His last loss at Lambeau was nearly 2 years ago. He even beat Tom Brady and the Pats last year.

I wonder if Al Michaels is subtely dissing Jon Gruden in this interview today with Dan Patrick.

Go to the 5 minute mark.

He praises Cris Collinsworth, but in doing so he describes the kind of analyst he hates. And what he hates seems to apply to Gruden.

I thought that Cincy did a very good job tonight. The first 8-0 Team of the season. I think they are legitimate and I could see them going far this year.

Even though he definitely struggled in the second half, I was pleased overall with Johnny’s performance tonight. I think he’s improved a lot from last year. Definitely a better game for him this year, than it was for his first start against Cincy last year. He definitely has things he needs to work on, but I am glad to see how he’s improved and is growing as a player. Unfortunately Cleveland still does have a lot of issues including lack of offensive weapons and I think those things are going to continue to be big factors as to why they aren’t winning games. Even when they are getting really good QB play like they have gotten from Josh McCown the past few weeks.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

It didn't bode well for Cleveland at halftime when both coaches had the same plan to keep Manziel in the pocket. When your plan mirrors your opponent's plan for you, it is probably time to rethink.

When you draft a scrambler as QB, it is the height of stupidity to try to transform him into a pocket passer.   Then complain that he sucks being a pocket passer.

Why do coaches do this?

Hell, Pettine wasn't happy that Manziel wasn't absolutely perfect after only one day of taking first team reps.

• Love 2

The story really sounds worse than the pictures.

It is possible in regard to his answers during the interview after joining the Cowboys that he simply cannot comment based on any legal settlement he had with her.

But in generall he really seems to show no remorse at all.

Its a sad day when I have to stick up for Tom Brady, but I would be even more pissed now about Hardy's comments about his wife if I were him.

But then Brady never says anything publically, he leaves that to Kraft and his dad. Maybe Brady can have his dad given some more fluff interviews and express his opinion for him.

Welp.  At least the Redskins got out Foxboro alive.  And the beatdown wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

I'm happy the Steelers won but worried for Big Ben.  I don't know how many more injuries he can take.  I don't know how many years are left on his contract but I think he should call it quits ASAP.

I have mixed feelings on the Reggie Bush deal. The guy's bones are made of dried spaghetti; he probably hurts himself rolling over in his sleep. However, concrete near a playing surface is a pretty big safety hazard. If he gets some sort of settlement out of this, he needs to just hang up the cleats and retire. He was a great college player, but it didn't translate to the NFL. 

Great win for the Eagles tonight.

• Love 3

Yes that area should have not added to the hazards that can occur when a player runs out of bounds ie falling over benches, running into cameramen, etc. If he wins good for him, but bad for the NFL because every player will sue for all sorts of injuries that may not be intentional due to a stadium not being up to code. For example, a player could sue for turf toe. 

As for as Reggie's health, he couldn't possibly be any more fragile than Roger "made of glass" Saffold. I don't know what kind of contract he has with the Rams, but I imagine he's spent more time off the field than Sam Bradford. 

Edited by yourpointis
  • Love 1

Jon Beason is fragile as hell...every time he gets touched during a game, he's injured for at least a game and half.  The Giants have finally shut him down and this will hopefully end his Giants career.

I'm glad the Giants won, especially ahead of such a tough game against the Patriots next week.  The Giants can definitely hang with them offensively...it's going to come down to how their defense can hold up to them and Drew Brees absolutely lit them up next week.  But I'm hopeful the Giants will make it four in a row against the Patriots.

• Love 3

He should be facing more than a one-game suspension.

I just read about that decision Dan Quinn made on Fourth-and-goal at the one...are you kidding me?  He trusted his defense that made Blaine Gabbert look good to make the stops?  He should have trusted them to make the stops if they failed on fourth down and pinned them back at their own one yard line.  That decision Dan Quinn made was the decision of a loser and he should be fired over that.

• Love 3

Aqib Talib is facing a one game suspension. Good. They might have still lost that game if he hadn't done it, but they lost any chance to win because he did do it. Idiot.

Good. what he did was so far beyond the pale it definitely warranted a suspension. He could have cost Allen his vision, ffs.

I can't believe any former player (that's who is hearing the appeal) would lessen the suspension, but who knows. Frankly I'm surprised it wasn't more that could be cut down on appeal, but maybe the NFL has decided it's best to be safe appeals-wise for a while.

Cam Newton is a f*g ass. And his teammates, as well. It's football, not a gang war or corporate espionage. I have 1/2 a mind to go in all Brown & Orange and display several Browns signs, even if they aren't playing Carolina.

Not even mortal enemies Bears & Packers treat each others fans that way.

• Love 1

I'm happy for Welker that he finally hooked on with another team, since it was what he wanted, but at the same time, I kind of wanted him to be done because he's already had so many concussions. I really hope he isn't doing himself significant long-term damage.

• Love 1

The Pats offense did slow down quite a bit once Lewis was out.

I am sure BB will adjust though, he always does.

COlts lose rookie DT Anderson. WHich sucks. have lost two of top 4 draft picks now for the season. He had played great so far and helped improve the run D. I know the stats say the Colts run D is still bad, but anyone that watches the games can tell the run D is much improved overall from prior years. He was a big reason why.

Colts finally fired pep though and despite all the claims from the "experts" saying he was a scapegate and this would do nothing, the COlts Offense looked like a whole new team and lived up to their potential for much of the game. Shows you how much the national "experts" actually know about teams not in a national TV market (i.e. not named the Pats, or Cowboys) Any true Colts fan watching week in and out would tell you, Pep sucked and his play calling is a big part of Luck's struggles. He won't say it. And he called the game different for Hasselback than for Luck. And it wasn't just this year, bu prior years as well, he has never been a good OC. He is a college coach that never has adjusted to the pro game. Consistent slow starts and falling behind by this team even in prior years, much of that falls on him.

I can tell which sports radio guys actually watch the games and which just look at the stats based on their comments. Anyone thinking this was a cosmedic, meaningless move and claiming the Colts D is as awful as the stats say isn't watching. The Colts d is not great and has its problems, but it has not been the reason the team is losing most of these games. The run D has been decent most of the year, much improved. The problem with the D is lack of a pass rush and lack of a good #2 corner behind Davis.

In other words, the pep firing, which I have been saying should happen for 6 weeks, is a big change that will help the team a great deal, as we already saw. WIll it be good enough to breat CIncy or NE in the playoffs if it comes to that? I doubt it. But they at least have a chance now. With pep, they did not.

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1

The prevailing sentiment I've seen (which I share) is "Why, Wes?" I mean, he must have passed the medical tests but I don't know why he is risking it.

If Welker passed the medical tests, he has a right to play.  I won't argue with that.  However, I don't want to see him joining one of these class-action lawsuits in ten years.  The NFL did wrong by their players for many years (although players would also lie to get back into games when they knew they were hurt) but knowledge about the effects of concussions has been out in the public now for more than five years.  Welker is making the choice to continue his football career despite knowing the effects of multiple concussions on a person.  I will have no respect for him if he ends up suing the NFL after his playing career is over, claiming that he can't function properly because of the effects of repeated head trauma.

Luck needs to stop plucking his beard to help people with retirement and save some for himself.   So far this year:   injured shoulder, busted ribs (allegedly), and now a lacerated spleen.    Forget Roethlisberger hobbling, Luck may be dead if he doesn't start protecting himself.

James Corden's parents are adorable. I can see where he gets his sense of humor from.

That's a terrible thing to say about two perfectly nice people.

All these injuries are crazy, but apparently not out of the norm. Football is not good for your ligaments and tendons, especially not for guys who are getting a little older. Unfortunately the Ravens first round draft pick, Breshad Perriman, is about 53 years old (seriously, look at the guy), and a seemingly straightforward PCL strain has kept him from even practicing for nearly four months. Steve Smith Sr will probably be back before Perriman is.

The prevailing sentiment I've seen (which I share) is "Why, Wes?" I mean, he must have passed the medical tests but I don't know why he is risking it.

My guess is a combination of love of the game, financial gains and the arrogance that lets him believe he'll be fine. I'm reminded of this comic from The Draw Play, and wonder how long it'll be before Peyton gets that difficult phone call.

Edited by Danny Franks