Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Editing out my bitterness to say:

Welcome Back, Eric Berry!  You are a hero in so many hearts.  Glad to see the team give you that entrance.*

*eh, at least we got something right

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 1

The Chiefs pulled a Miracle at the Meadowlands last night.  What an ending.

Manning tied the game, no doubt about it.  But his throws looked terrible from beginning to end.  But Denver has an absolutely ferocious defense.  If the O-Line can find a way to protect Manning, they'll be a contender this year because they don't have to rely solely on Manning anymore.

• Love 1

The Chiefs made us forget all about the Giants stupid ending.  Eli should thank them

Just....pitiful.  Wow.  I don't like or dislike the Chiefs.  If anything I want them in the playoffs vs. the Colts because the Colts have a 20 year streak of never losing to them in the playoffs, beat them 4 or 5 times. 

that was just pathetic though. Not just the end of the game, end of the half, you think they will be up by 7 at least, Smith throws that awful pick and lets Denver tie it

End of the game, HOW do you let that happen? 

I feel sorry for their fans.  They consistently find a way to lose games, not just this one but over many years.  They have good games and can never capitalize on them. 

As for Manning, it is true he does not have the arm he used to, but he made the throws needed when it counted.  And the problem with the team is not Manning.  That OL is AWFUL.  Doesn't matter who you have back there, with no time they can't make plays.  And the run game is nonexistent.  ANd its not just the line.  The play calling is bad.  Just kick the FG in the first half, you don't need to go for it on 4th down there early in what will obviously be a close game, take the point.  You have not once but TWICE to think about it, still do it.  Hillman is a far superior runner to Anderson.  In the next few weeks i expect Hillman will be getting most of the carries.  Its not even close, Hillman is in and the run game is much better.  He is the one that did the damage last week on the long 4th quarter drive.  And while Manning does not have the arm strength, Sanders dropped an easy long pass in the first half and the offense looked much better when they sped up the game and let Manning run things from the line out of the shotgun.  That was not their plan this year, but the offense has been pathetic with him taking snaps behind center and trying to do the ball control/run based game.  They just don't have the team to do it, and that is not on Manning.  As bad as his arm strengh is, he is STILL the better option for that offense over the run oriented game they had planned to use.

on the other hand Denver is also stupid, way too many stupid defensive penalties for late hits and crap.  The D is good but has to play smart. 

• Love 1

The Broncos play calling is terrible.   Manning goes along with it because he wants to be a team player.    He should look at Kubiak and say "You were a back up when you played and you should have stayed a back up at coaching.   Let me just run the offense my way."   Because yes, then they let Manning be Manning, he was just fine.   Its when they try to force him into a system he is NOT good at they get into trouble.

Hmmm funny how that happens with a lot of QBs.   

• Love 3

Editing out my bitterness to say:

Welcome Back, Eric Berry! You are a hero in so many hearts. Glad to see the team give you that entrance.*

*eh, at least we got something right

I'm happy he's back as well. His family was featured on an episode of Say Yes to the Dress, where Eric bought his mom a beautiful gown and paid for his parents to do a vow renewal as a thank you for all they'd done for him. He seems like a really nice guy.

He should look at Kubiak and say "You were a back up when you played and you should have stayed a back up at coaching. Let me just run the offense my way."

Agree that Kubiak is so very meh as a coach. I don't know WHAT Elway was thinking in bringing him on, other than that he wanted a yes-man who wouldn't stand up to him? Maybe? Because I don't know why you sign Kubiaverage to a team with Super Bowl aspirations otherwise. He squandered some rather talented rosters in Houston

I don't think it was a bad idea to try and change the offensive system in Denver. Elway sees Manning is getting older and they cannot rely on him more than 1, 2 more seasons max, so they plan for the future. He also knows this is how he won his two superbowls. They had Terrell Davis come to the team, had a strong run game, ELway took a back seat in his final years and it worked out great. ANd Kubiak was there at the tinme with Denver, helping call the plays and manage the games even as a back up at the time.

The problem is CJ Anderson is not TD. And this offensive line sucks. The idea is not a bad one. The execution and and the personel are just not there to do it.

I agree though nothing Kubiak did at Houston convinces mean he can be a top coach in Denver.

• Love 1

Rex Ryan has GOT to figure out how to bring his swagger and confidence to a team without allowing it to make his team completely undisciplined and out of control. The Bills are killing themselves right now--they're too busy being overly pumped up/emotional to capitalize on any chances coming their way. They desperately need to just get to halftime and refocus in the locker room.

I was glad that Carolina won today and are now up 2-0.

I am also glad that the Browns won today. I liked how Johnny started out playing well, and even though he didn't play as well in the second half, that he still managed the game and the team won. I thought that the Cleveland's defense played very great , and were a big factor in the team's win today. They really went at Marcus Mariota. I think that Marcus is a talented young man, and will do well in this league, but the Browns defense really harassed him today. They really roughed him up, I'm glad that he didn't end up getting seriously injured after some of the things they were doing to him. I also thought that Travis Benjamin played fantastic today and deserves a lot of credit for the team's win today. I am glad to see him operating as a deep threat for the Browns, especially since they are so thin at the WR position.

I thought that the Dallas/Philly game was rough, but good on Dallas for winning that game, especially after Romo went down. It looks like he's going to be out for a while. I don't like to see any player get injured and I wish him a healthy recovery. I wonder who the Cowboys will go pick up now for a QB since Weeden is the only other QB they have.

Edited by Jx223

I thought that the Dallas/Philly game was rough, but good on Dallas for winning that game, especially after Romo went down. It looks like he's going to be out for a while. I don't like to see any player get injured and I wish him a healthy recovery. I wonder who the Cowboys will go pick up now for a QB since Weeden is the only other QB they have.

Well, Tim Tebow is still around & looking for another chance. 

• Love 1

There goes any hope I had for a good season.   I wanted to believe.   But the Football Gods always find a way to crush the Cowboys hopes.

I knew it. Last week he said he was the "healthiest" he's been in years. Just like when a commentator mentions a team's unbeaten streak, that is the moment you know - yup, streak will be broken in the next ten minutes.

Feel so bad for Romo. So bad. And now the Cowboys have no Dez for 12 weeks, and Romo will be out for probably like 8 or more weeks.

Sucks for Romo and their fans because he looked good so far. But come on with the football Gods cursing them. At least the Cowboys have won a few SB's. Try bring a damn Bills fan. I couldn't believe they made the Pats game more interesting at the end, but Taylor is still an inexperienced QB with all those interceptions he threw.

Let the tongue bathing of Manziel begin. Barf.

I was listening to a "highlight" from the Bears game and the radio announcer said something to the effect that St. Louis scored on the Cutler INT where he got hurt.

I thought about it and was like "wait I thought the Rams shit the bed yesterday?" and then the SportsCenter guy mentioned the Cardinals and I was like "ohhhhh." How long has that radio guy been in Chicago? The Cards moved out almost 30 years ago, right? And to bring it full circle, wasn't the team in Chicago once called the Cardinals?

I know part of it was the "prevent" D and being up big, but the NE D is still suspect, I think.  They got away with Pitt not converting in the red zone last week.  ANd this week even though down 24 in the 4th quarter the Bills had the ball with a chance to tie in the final possession. 

Dolphins, really, you lose to the Jags?

Same with Baltimore. 

Once again the NFL surprises me.  And once again after all the talk of Manning being old and challengers to NE and this and that which 3 teams are 2-0 after two weeks? 

Green Bay, NE and denver.  Rodgers, Manning, Brady. 

I know others are as well, including Arizona, who I think could be the top team in the NFC if Palmer stays healthy this year.  But does anyone truly believe in the Bengals, or Panthers with not a single decent WR, or Cowboys now without Dez and Romo?  I will give Atlanta a maybe. 

NFC east is a mess and after the notorious offseason and RG3 scandal, the Skins just MIGHT be in the best position to win that division.  Giants can't hold a lead, Philly's offense is a joke and Dallas has now lost Murray, Dez and Romo since the end of last season. 

And I don't care at all about the Cowboys, but as someone with Romo on my two fantasy teams as the starting QB.........just ruined any legitimate chances I have at a good season in week 2. 

As do the Ravens.

It's gonna be a loooooooooooong season.

I'll see your Ravens and raise you my beloved Dolphins. At least, the Ravens have won a recent Super Bowl. All Miami has done is turn mediocrity into an art form.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with the Giants.

They're making stupid mistakes. I dont know if losing these close games due to our own stupidity is worse than the last couple of years where it seemed like we were getting blown out or shut out every other game.

Eli needs to get his head out his ass and play like the 2 time Superbowl MVP he's capable of being. I dont understand how BOTH the coach and QB are making these silly errors.

I guess the only good news is the division is still pretty open. With Romo out, I dont see the Cowboys running away with it like they might have with him and Dez healthy.

• Love 1

Eli's greatest strength as a quarterback was his ability to come up big late in games but that ability has long since left him.  I don't think he's had a fourth quarter comeback since Week 2 againt the Bucs three years ago when he passed for 510 yards.  He can still sling it but his game/clock management is atrocious and he literally didn't see that strip/sack coming.  He needs to step it up...that's what they're paying him $84 million for.

I think the rise of Odell Beckham managed to give a reprieve to Coughlin and Jerry "I'm still living off the 2007 draft" Reese.  If they don't make the playoffs for the fourth straight year, there needs to be regime change in the organization.  Something is clearly broke that the two of them cleary haven't been able to fix.

The amazing thing is the NFC East is wide open with Romo's injury and how bad the Eagles are playing.

Edited by benteen

Spags doesn't have a shred of the talent he had 7-8 years ago.  The defense hasn't been looking bad and they're actually completing tackles, something they haven't done in years.  As a result, they don't give up a ton of big plays.  But they don't play defense for a full game and they are letting their foot of the gas at the worst possible times.

If it's true--and seems like the NFL should be able to check pretty quickly (but they don't need actual proof, right?)--I'm waiting for the Bills to be fined a million, stripped a first- and fourth-round pick, and have their best player suspended for four games:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/21/bills-may-have-gone-too-far-with-pre-play-stadium-sounds/

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

That is all.

I honestly don't think Jerrah will do it.   Why?   For the same reason the back ups to Romo have been DanOrlovsky and Brandon Weedon.   He doesn't want someone who can seriously challenge his stated belief that Romo is a Super Bowl Caliber QB.    A GOOD back up (or even Tim Tebow who has won a playoff game) would actually compete for the starting job.   Which calls into question Jerrah's judgment.   And we know we can't have that.

Edited by merylinkid

Governor of Texas wants Cowboys to sign Tim Tebow with Romo out

(For real. NOT a headline from The Onion.)

No, no no and NO! What is it with the media obsession with Tebow? He wasn't even good enough now to qualify for a 3rd string QB position for the Eagles, and we all SAW Sam Bradford's performance.

Sure, sign Tebow, if you want the Cowboys to lose the next eight games. Maybe the Governor of Texas is really a Washington/Giants/Eagles fan.

I'm amazed at how awful the Colts offense looks. Like I honestly don't understand how it's possible with that much talent to look so...bad.

Well, if by "talent" you mean guys who won you a Fantasy Football championship four years ago, then sure.  But not guys ready to play so far in 2015 "Suck with Luck" campaign. 

Meanwhile which of the many glaring roster holes that were evident in last years AFC Championship Game has been addressed by the GM? Why were they such a trendy pick again? 

• Love 1
Why were they such a trendy pick again?

Because the media jizzes in their pants for Indy. they always have going back to the Manning era. They desperately WANT the Colts to be really really really good.

With that said, the Colts will probably win the AFC South, the division is pathetic, and squeak into the playoffs. But they are regressing at an alarming rate.

Edited by stealinghome

I didn't think it was possible but the Colts offense lost them this game

I can't even count the number of ways they are managing to screw up on both sides of the ball.

AT this rate Pagano will not last until the end of Septermber. Just pathetic in every way. Unprepared, poor game plan. Pep Hamilton has absolutely no idea how to combat a pass rush. They don't use the hurry up offense like they should to slow the rush. Luck makes bad decisions and bad throws. They aren't using Andre Johsnon at all despite signing him this offseason.

End of the half, Jets about to try a 48 yard FG, if they miss Colts could get the ball with 30 seconds left if they call a time out. Still a chance to score, they just needed 30 yard to be in FG range. Nope, let the clock run down. Just stupid.

No pass rush. Didn't help that Vontae Davis was injured, concussion, hope he is back soon.

And surprisingly the one GOOD thing about the team has actually been the run D by the front 3 or 4. I know it didn't look like it by the stats last week, but the run D is actually stopping the runners up front on almost every play.

And despite all that, now they go against the pathetic AFC south three straight games and I won't be surprised if they win all 3. They are just lucky they are in a bad division.

Pagano in my opinion though can't be fired soon enough. If he is back next year I will be shocked. I won't be surprised if he is fired before the end of the year if this continues.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

That is all.

I honestly don't think Jerrah will do it.   Why?   For the same reason the back ups to Romo have been DanOrlovsky and Brandon Weedon.   He doesn't want someone who can seriously challenge his stated belief that Romo is a Super Bowl Caliber QB.    A GOOD back up (or even Tim Tebow who has won a playoff game) would actually compete for the starting job.   Which calls into question Jerrah's judgment.   And we know we can't have that.

Dan Orlovsky never played for the Cowboys.  Maybe you're thinking of Kyle Orton.