Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The booing during the national anthem was more disrespectful than what he does.   At least Kaep kneels quietly.   You are supposed to stand still, with your hand over your heart and your mouth SHUT.   But it's all about some faux outrage over his kneeling.   And the sniper shirts went way over the line.   No wonder he is protesting.

I have been saying that if people were as outraged over the reason he isn't standing as they are over the fact he isn't standing, Colin would already be standing again.

• Love 9

Aaron Rodgers getting beat at home by a rookie and then being booed. He's got a bad start to the year. I really hope to see him reunite with his family.

Jerry Jones knows Romo won't be around forever. It was Jones who wanted to draft Manziel, but didn't because of how Romo would feel. He needs to stop thinking about personal feelings and think of the team.  I'm hoping now years later he has realized that Romo getting injured over and over, he's close to done.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, twoods said:

I just saw how classless some Bills fans were towards Colin. Guy is doing something that is bigger than football and the shitheads come out and beat up a dummy with his jersey on it, and sell anti-Karl shirts. Stay classy.

Can't say I'd limit the word classless to just Bills fans.  People all over the country have been losing their minds over Colin's quiet protests.  I've read stories of store owners who had taped Colin's jersey to the floor near the entrance so patrons can wipe their feet on it.  Then there were those who just outright burned his jersey.  Today I saw on instagram some group selling t-shirts with Colin kneeling with cross hairs aimed at his head.

It continues to amaze me how many people are so outraged by Colin kneeling when I'd bet half of them never paid attention during the anthem before. Too busy on their phones or scarfing down nachos or whatever.  And yet don't even acknowledge that the content of his protest has validity.

• Love 12

Today the Chiefs beat the Faiders, in Oakland.  This is a thing that age cannot wither, nor custom stale.

It is, as ever, as satisfying as a really great sexual encounter.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Colts will never be a contender until they get a new coach.  Pagano is awful.  No excuse for losing that game last night. 

And GM. I'd fire them both. 

Also the owner's nuts as well, which explains the coach and GM.

• Love 4

I must apologize to the Houston offense. Last night I asked if they were going to show up and eventually they did, which is more than one can say about Indy's offensive line. 

I wonder what has to break inside a person's brain to make selling Kaepernick t-shirts with his face in the crosshairs seem like a good idea. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I would love, love, LOVE to be a fly on Jerry Jones' wall right now. You just know that his advisors are having to physically staple him to his chair to stop him from getting up and marching to Jason Garrett and demanding he put Romo in because Jones just can't help himself. Any chance they've bodyswapped him for a pod person?

It's a tough situation. On the one hand I feel for Tony because he's had some shitty luck, but on the other I don't know how you can bust up all the chemistry and momentum Dak and Co. have going on right now. Jerry does have a massive ego though, so it wouldn't surprise me if he insists Romo start over Dak.

• Love 1

Tony took the job from Drew Bledsoe because he was better at the time.

Dak should take the job from Tony because Dak's better at this time.

It's the ciiircle of liiiiife!

(unless Jerry Jones is as stupid as we believe)

• Love 6

Oh maannnnnn....

Not even 24 hours after I post-a-gloat over our most hated rival, the No Fun League pushes them further in the direction guaranteed to break a fanbase's heart.

*stews*

Goddamnit, now you've made me sorry for them!!

17 hours ago, voiceover said:

Today the Chiefs beat the Faiders, in Oakland.  This is a thing that age cannot wither, nor custom stale.

It is, as ever, as satisfying as a really great sexual encounter.

I'll take your word for the last part.

5 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I must apologize to the Houston offense. Last night I asked if they were going to show up and eventually they did, which is more than one can say about Indy's offensive line. 

I wonder what has to break inside a person's brain to make selling Kaepernick t-shirts with his face in the crosshairs seem like a good idea. 

Sounds dangerous for the wearer

2 hours ago, voiceover said:

Oh maannnnnn....

Not even 24 hours after I post-a-gloat over our most hated rival, the No Fun League pushes them further in the direction guaranteed to break a fanbase's heart.

*stews*

Goddamnit, now you've made me sorry for them!!

What happened?   Man I hate when the day job interferes with life.

5 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

That whole division sucks, really.  Houston deserved to win but each time was trying to give the game away in many ways.  Would not shock me if a sub .500 team won that division.  Heck Tennessee might end up winning it.  9 wins I think definitely wins the division and 7 might do it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

What happened?   Man I hate when the day job interferes with life.

The governments of Nevada & Las Vegas (a bit vague on this) cleared the way for the Raiders to move to LV.

It awaits approval of NFL owners.

I live in Vegas and I actually think it would be a good move. Vegas basically turns into SoCal on the weekends anyways, so plenty of people would make the four hour drive from LA to see a game. Tickets on Southwest are also pretty cheap from the Bay Area if you book in advance. The critics keep saying Vegas is too small of a city to support a team, but the Metro population is about 2.5 million, never mind the tourists. I can't tell if the Raiders owner is really serious about this or whether he's hedging his bets hoping Oakland will cave and scrape together the money for a new stadium.

Edited by BitterApple

Ryan Clark I love you.  Keep on defending Odell because it is now getting ridiculous, that ODB cannot do anything without someone clutching their pearls about it.

I agree that the penalties are bad and he needs to not do that.  But fuck's sake stop criticizing shit he does that has nothing to do with anything.

I cannot even imagine if Chad Johnson and TO played during the height of social media.

• Love 8

Two boring night games, back to back. Although the Colts-Texans game did get interesting in the 4th quarter and overtime, neither team is having a stellar season, so they weren't big draws for me. 

And I'm glad the Cardinals won last night, but that was one boring game. 

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

The Steelers backup QB is garbage. Unless Tom Brady trips and breaks his leg getting off the team bus, this will probably be a boring, one-sided game. 

I say give Landry a chance. Look at him. He's ready to go.

DSC_0279.JPG

• Love 7
2 hours ago, benteen said:

It pleases me greatly that NFL ratings are down and I really hope this continues.

Between the excessive penalties, the bans on celebrations and all the political crap, it's been a thoroughly unenjoyable season to watch. 

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Between the excessive penalties, the bans on celebrations and all the political crap, it's been a thoroughly unenjoyable season to watch. 

Maybe that's why the media outlets are so focused on issues outside of the actual games:  blow-by-blow commentary every time OBJ goes to the bathroom or proposes to a kicking net, the latest public reaction to Colin Kaepernick's protest, Dak vs. Tony, the Raiders possibly moving to Las Vegas, etc. Sure, these are somewhat-interesting NFL issues, but they seem to overshadow the games themselves. It could be partially because there have only been a few interesting games and teams for journalists to discuss.  Many games have resulted lopsided wins, or teams that were expected to do well have underperformed. And is it just me, or are more teams than usual really, really bad this year? I guess so--the analysts on the NFL satellite station practically blow their wad every time they talk about the great season the Jacksonville Jaguars are having. They're currently 2-3, which is a good record for the Jaguars, I guess, but still...

• Love 3

I heard that the Sunday afternoon games are only down 3% but that the night games are down 25-33%.  The night schedules have had horrific schedules. I bolded the games that looked like intriguing matchups beforehand and were actually close games.

Thursday: Jets/Bills, Texans/Pats, Dolphins/Bengals, Cards/49ers, Broncos/Chargers

Sunday night: Panthers/Broncos, Pats/Cards, Packers/Vikings, Bears/Cowboys, Chiefs/Steelers, Giants/Packers, Colts/Texans

Monday night: Steelers/Redskins, Rams/49ers, Eagles/Bears, Falcons/Saints, Giants/Vikings, Bucs/Panthers, Jets/Cardinals

3 out of 19 games that as a neutral fan I might make it a point to tune in and not be disappointed.  Others may differ some, but I don't think anyone's going over 6 out of 19.  There are a lot of dogs on that schedule, plus the presidential race, plus the general decay of broadcast television, and finally the off the field self-inflicted wounds by the league office.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The actual product isn't that good, so they're covering other issues more imo. Though I think covering Kap and the anthem is a credible news story. 

I totally agree. There seems to be less coverage for the actual games than in previous years.

This is a direct result of the Thursday night game. It needs to go. There's huge issues with shackling the officials' ability to actually call the game, but that isn't related to actual quality. 

• Love 4

The games they put on primetime were supposed to be interesting.   But the teams they were counting on to bring in the casual viewer haven't been good.   The Sunday afternoon games have had all the excitement (Eagles with Wentz, Cowboys with Prescott, Vikings with Bradford).   But you know, they put out the schedule in April and hope for the best.    

I think there will be an uptick after November 8.    Plus as the playoff picture shapes up more people will be watching to see if their team makes it.   

• Love 1

Hey, Football Jesus.....

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/nfl-seahawks-earl-thomas-punch-tackle-falcons

Thanks for putting two of my favorite sports, MMA and Football together.

I can hardly wait for the Curling/MotoGP mashup you have in mind. Sliding those stones, at speed, should be fun to watch.

----

Jesus,

You haven't been kind to me when it comes to my picks, I know only one team will be standing at the end, but could you make it one that doesn't have and sketchy characters on it.

Can you make the games more decisive - not these last minute wins that totally stun me, then piss me off?

If you cooperate I will donate MORE time to the Home for Retired Cheerleaders I will open when I hit the lottery, but I do need the numbers for this saturday's drawing.

Amen.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The games they put on primetime were supposed to be interesting.   But the teams they were counting on to bring in the casual viewer haven't been good.   The Sunday afternoon games have had all the excitement (Eagles with Wentz, Cowboys with Prescott, Vikings with Bradford).   But you know, they put out the schedule in April and hope for the best.    

I think there will be an uptick after November 8.    Plus as the playoff picture shapes up more people will be watching to see if their team makes it.   

I have always been of the mind that there should be TWO prime time games on at a time, that way if there is one dog on, you can switch over to the other.

That way MORE teams get to worry about the short week run to their next game and get that national exposure.

The schedule makers pick the teams that they believe will bring in the most interest months in advance, but what happens if one or both inhale penis? The TV audience/fans won't tune in.

Start one game at an "eastern hour", that way people don't need to stay up past midnight to watch a game?

You are correct about the uptick - it's like the batting averages during the first month of the season - it's not a good account of anything in particular. Some teams are going to crash and burn, others are going to surprise the fuck outta the league and spark an interest in their towns.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Josh Brown has gotta go, right?

Humph....you would think?  Given the outrage over Odell basically beating up on himself (with help from a kicking net), you'd think there'd be even more outrage for a jerk beating up on his wife.  Not only for the primary reason of Josh Brown being an abuser but also with how it seems like that league learned nothing from the Ray Rice fiasco.  

With all the crap the league gave Tom Brady for deflategate (which for me, in a vacuum, was great to watch because I hate Brady and the Pats) by serving up a FOUR game suspension but they only give Josh Brown 1 game?  I mean, if the league had enough evidence to suspend John Brown at all, why only give him 1 game?  Weren't there guidelines put in place for this very situation? Now that details of his disgusting behavior are out, the league continues to look really stupid...oh and so do the Giants btw.  I hope they get rid of him.

• Love 6

I think that is exactly what will happen. 

But Kap kneeling is the *real* problem amirite?! I mean, as long as you beat your wife or shoot up a strip club and I don't see it, then I can ignore it. It's not fair that I have to watch people kneeling down and make me think of things I don't want to. #IntegrityOfTheGame.

• Love 13

There's worse than a videotape this time.   There is an admission in writing by Brown he was abusive.   That somehow a ten month investigation never turned up.   Seriously, who is doing Goodell's investigating, Barney Fife?   They couldn't get the Ray Rice video.   Now they couldn't find Brown's own admissions he was abusive.   

Just appalled.   A.P.P.AL.L.E.D.

Oh and this on the same day that Goodell said he has to crack down on end zone celebrations like twerking (done by a black player mind you) because players are ... wait for it .. role models.    Yep.  Kids can't see twerking on their tv, but allowing admitted abusers to continue to suit up and collect millions of dollars is sending the perfect message to kids today.

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

There's worse than a videotape this time.   There is an admission in writing by Brown he was abusive.   That somehow a ten month investigation never turned up.   Seriously, who is doing Goodell's investigating, Barney Fife?   They couldn't get the Ray Rice video.   Now they couldn't find Brown's own admissions he was abusive.   

Just appalled.   A.P.P.AL.L.E.D.

Oh and this on the same day that Goodell said he has to crack down on end zone celebrations like twerking (done by a black player mind you) because players are ... wait for it .. role models.    Yep.  Kids can't see twerking on their tv, but allowing admitted abusers to continue to suit up and collect millions of dollars is sending the perfect message to kids today.

Two problems?

The "innocent until proven" rule of the land and the CBA.

I worked in union shop and the shit that some emm effers got away with was incredible. The League can't enforce any rules/fine/suspend any players because they run to the PA and get some kind of dispensation.

There is no accountability and no fear of repercussions for acting stupid.

I am all for employee's having rights at their workplace, but some of the antics on and off the field are just driving the REAL fans away.

ETA, I am not a fan of Charles Barkley, but he said it best when he stated that he 'wasn't a role model'.

None of the chuckleheads getting the press in the NFL are role models. They, at best, are puppets and whores?

Edited by ElDosEquis

Goodell can do anything he wants as proven by Deflategate. The courts have given him that right. Make up charges, take things out of context, make up evidence, ignore science, act as his own arbitrator, interpret everything to his best advantage, contradict himself. Anything.  The courts have failed to require him to use anything like logic or precedence or fairness in his dealings. He is God.

In this case he has Josh Brown's own admissions. He and She have both said that there was abuse.  There is literally nothing stopping Goodell from giving any type of punishment.

Now, as commissioner he could either butt out of bad off field behavior issues and leave it to the teams and their desires to weather bad PR, or he can police it.  But in either case, he really should do things consistently before everyone has the same low opinion of the league that I do.  No one should have any illusions that Goodell dispenses equal justice to different entities.  It's all some horrific mix of favoritism, ego, racism, sexism, paternalism, greed, and stupidity not seen anywhere other than last night's presidential debate.

Edited to add "greed".

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 6

Man, every time you think the league can't hit a new eyeroll-worthy low, they manage to do so. I can't believe Mara stood up for this piece of crap Brown and I hope reporters actually start laughing at Goodell the next time he talks about wanting to have #integrity in the game and crack down on those players who act poorly off the field. I also hope their wives and daughters refuse to speak to them for weeks. I mean, the hypocrisy is actually laughable...or would be if the issues involved weren't so terribly sad.

• Love 7

Geez,

How long did TB get his suspension put off for?

He lawyered up and hedged his bet on getting exonerated of the charges.

IF RG is god, he should have nailed that AH to the wall.

I'd love to get a copy of the CBA and peruse it - just for shits and giggles.

So what was Josh Brown's 1 game suspension about?  This is what I dont understand.  Goodell is making deals with the PA on THIS issue... for what?  Goodell created a whole shit storm of bad press by giving Ray Rice 2 games, despite hearing from the guy's own mouth what he did to his fiance.  And then the video came out and all hell broke loose.  

How can Goodell turn around and give Brown 1 game for what it seems is consistent prolonged abuse that he too admitted to!  I guess I just don't understand this "boys club" favoritism shit because I'm like who the hell is Josh Brown for Goddell to risk looking like a softie on DV (AGAIN)? Goodell went after Tom Brady (the quintessential Golden Boy, and the Golden Boy owner Bob Kraft) for 2 freaking years!!! For some deflated footballs.  Goodell couldn't have the same type of guts going after Josh Brown, video or no video?

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 4

What's really concerning to me is that supposedly there is now a 6-game suspension policy for first-time DV offenders, and yet the league chose to handwave 5 of those 6 games for this guy because of "insufficient evidence." Yet evidence...seems to abound in this case. So either the NFL's investigators are so utterly incompetent that NO league investigation should be believed, because they couldn't find any evidence that seems to be in plentiful supply, or there are no *actual* rules beyond whatever Goodell wakes up one day and decides on. Neither can be the case long-term going forward if anyone involved with the NFL wants to maintain a shred of credibility.

It's amazing to me that the owners are so dumb sometimes. Haven't they figured out yet that protecting DV offenders a) always comes out eventually and b) always makes them look bad?

ETA: Mara, please just stop talking, because you sound like a bigger ass every time you open your mouth.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

With a cursory inspection of the CBA it's agreed that all the Where As', Shall be, Shall not be, no more than and up to and including's have been placed in their proper positions within the document.

Ugh, let me digest the particulars, laugh and get back to you.

(seen one CBA, seen them all.........)

thanks.

On October 18, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Fukui San said:

I say give Landry a chance. Look at him. He's ready to go.

DSC_0279.JPG

Well, sorry to say that Goodell found out Landry killed a guy in high school, so Goodell suspended him for one quarter. 

• Love 5