Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, topanga said:

he should pat the defender on the helmet and say, "Nice defense."

Yeah but if he did, it would so confuse the defender that he would run right over him the next play.   Might even flummox him enough to just have the defender standing there and not getting to his side of the field.   I would die laughing if that ever happened in a game.

• Love 1

The NFL has such deep pockets- they should pay for a psychologist or two on every single team. Most of these players have spent their whole life being told how to act, play, etc and then they get thrown in the NFL where they are under scrutiny by the media and fans. It has to be difficult, even on the mentally strongest athlete. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

The NFL has such deep pockets- they should pay for a psychologist or two on every single team. Most of these players have spent their whole life being told how to act, play, etc and then they get thrown in the NFL where they are under scrutiny by the media and fans. It has to be difficult, even on the mentally strongest athlete. 

Even if the league itself won't shell out, I wish the owners would. They have more than enough money, and I really do think it would help a handful on players on each time, even if only because every team has a few guys who struggle with confidence/rebounding from mistakes. Plus some guys who struggle in crunch time would probably be helped too.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, topanga said:

Really? Maybe we're not watching the same NFL games. That's the reaction I usually witness on the sidelines whenever I see a wide receiver/tight end drop a touchdown pass, a quarterback miss a throw, or a kicker miss a field goal, . Along with hearing some colorful language, I often see the player standing or sitting by themselves, brooding over their mistake and/or watching a replay on the iPad. The players seem more mad at themselves then they are at their teammates. Sometimes a quarterback will say something to a receiver or vice-versa, but that'll be a brief exchange. The pouting usually comes from the player being mad at himself. 

Which 'him'? Odell Beckham, Jr? Reggie Bush? Miles Austin? Kerry Rhodes? There are several to choose from. 

No, were aren't watching the same games.

Most players will leave that shit on the field.

Play or work with someone who consistently has that attitude - don't talk to XXXX, he's pissed - it gets old pretty quickly.

I never let a teammate pull that shit - go hide in the corner - because it doesn't help the team or his frame of mind.

Once he loses focus and starts to play the "I" card - no I in team?- dudes get pretty useless.

(ipads, the crack for the vidiot revolution)

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Yeah but if he did, it would so confuse the defender that he would run right over him the next play.   Might even flummox him enough to just have the defender standing there and not getting to his side of the field.   I would die laughing if that ever happened in a game.

There is an old story about a coach who had to play against a team that had a great running back (someone will know the particulars), he told the defense that after every carry, they were to help the guy to his feet.

The players were puzzled by the request until someone asked about it

His strategy was to NOT give the guy a chance to rest between plays... I don't remember if it worked, but it sounded like a good idea?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Even if the league itself won't shell out, I wish the owners would. They have more than enough money, and I really do think it would help a handful on players on each time, even if only because every team has a few guys who struggle with confidence/rebounding from mistakes. Plus some guys who struggle in crunch time would probably be helped too.

I don't know if it's the responsibility of the league. MDs should be provided to ensure player health for sure. As an owner, I'm having trouble seeing why you aren't providing the players with the resources they need to succeed. Whatever it is. I know the league does a rookie school, but I don't see why you wouldn't have something similar for your own players. Each city must have its own challenges they should be aware of. I'm not saying to treat them like children, but if you aren't putting them in a position to succeed, and they're not succeeding, then "man up, suck it up" isn't much of a solution. 

I can't imagine having an independent professional to talk to would be a bad thing. 

Even if an owner doesn't really care about winning and just wants to rake it in, you still want to put out a competitive team to get people to come to games, and you want to win at least enough games to ensure a full house for each week. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ganesh said:

I wouldn't really say I'm a defender either, but there's this fallacy that if you're an NFL player, you basically have to fit into some form of the same mold, which is ridiculous. I'm also over everyone telling him how he should behave or what he should be doing or that he should shut up and be grateful. That's how people end up harming themselves. Just because there's people who hate their jobs doesn't mean someone else who is admittedly in a privileged position can't hit a rough patch. But, NFL players aren't allowed to be actual people, are they? Society reveres you as modern day gladiators, which is massively problematic as it is. You take your millions and you perform for me every Sunday and you be grateful for it!

This reminds me of the so called "cancer in the locker room" Terrell Owens. With a zero arrest record. Worst person ever to play football amirite? It's ok if you lie about murder because you're ready to play on Sunday! I don't care if you bring a gun to a strip club because you're entertaining me right now!

When you show up at work and your coworker isn't there and YOU have to pick up the slack because he is a drunk, hophead or worst yet, he shows up and can't hang with the program,  You can suck it up or complain about it or get him out of there.

No one is asking an NFL player to fill a mold or shut up and be grateful, Isn't a mature COLLEGE graduate (they do graduate, don't they?) do on their own? I mean fuck, you went to school, lived away from home, played ball and got passing grades, then you get to play pro ball and you forgot the basic rules about how to behave in the world?

Talk about 'short attention span theater'.....

Many NFL players suck it up on Sunday and play - you can equate them to the refs that do their job and go home in anonymity? - It's not about 'hitting a rough patch' - It's about how you get out of the ditch and keep driving.

I don't hold any NFL player up on a pedestal, I like to think that they are more like the rest of us?

I don't throw my helmet down, sit by myself or pout like a baby.

I tell my co-workers/teammates "My bad" and let's kick some ass.

A great example are the QBs that have brought their teams back from a deficit to win or make it a competitive game. They were able to do that because everyone was on the same page and his teammates believed in him.

If 'cancer' should be retired, then 'maturity' should be emphasized?

20 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:

Everyone wants to get the ball and it turns into -

"So, you wannna be a football hero......"

Beckham made one great catch and he's resting on his laurels. (Watch how many guys are trying to pull in a one- hander during the warm-ups?)

Beckham didn't just make one great catch.  He's made a bunch of them.  IMO, he made a better one against the Dolphins where he caught the ball and simultaneously dove into the endzone.  He set a bunch of records for a rookie receiver and had a really good pace going as far as TD receptions. If Odell had ONLY made that one catch against the Cowboys he wouldn't be a star right now.  We see amazing catches from college and even high school players every week.  What makes (made) Odell different was he was making those crazy catches with regularity (ie.consistency).

And geez....we're really gonna rag on the guy for what he's doing in pre-game?  We're talking about pre-game? (Allen Iverson voice).  Those one handed grabs during pregame I would bet are more for the fans who get to the stadium early much like Steph Curry does his pregame warmup (which includes taking 5 shots from the tunnel when he's playing at home.)  Unless you're trying to say that a couple of catches one handed is taking away from his normal pregame preparation...and I havent heard anything like that.  I have never heard anything about Odell's practice habits dipping or changing.

19 hours ago, merylinkid said:

"Football is not fun anymore" is just childish.   His "Football is my escape" makes no sense.   Escape from what?   Double shifts at the steel mill for 50 cents an hour?   Football is his job.   He plays professional football.   He needs to act like it.   

Yes, football is his job.  It's not his life. We don't know what's going on in his personal life or what he's dealing with (if anything). I personally have my suspicions about what might be going on with him but I'd rather not say. Odell is a human being. He and all athletes are allowed not to like their job just like the rest of us, regardless of how much money they make.  Now do I think he should actually voice his frustrations in the media? Nope.  He's just adding fuel to the fire, but I'm not going to invalidate his feelings.  How he feels is how he feels.

5 hours ago, topanga said:

At the same time, there is visual evidence of Odell illegally being held, pushed, taunted,, and thrown to the ground. All without penalties to the other players. So I do understand some of his frustration. 

And people want to label Odell a bad seed and a person lacking character. But this is a player who's never been arrested or charged with rape, murder, theft, NCAA violations, domestic violence, child abuse, obstruction of justice, drug use, DUI, PED use, gun possession, or using under-inflated footballs. Those are people who lack character, IMO, but the NFL (and other professional sports) are full of guys just like this. 

This is what's really killing it for me. We are seeing these defensive players be extra with him.  As well they should if Odell is going to allow them to get in his head.  But the refs are supposed to nip it in the bud.  And im glad the NFL came out and said the refs are to look out for the defensive player provoking Odell.  In the Washington game, we saw Josh Norman literally pick Odell up and carry him 10 feet and drop him to the ground...right in front of the ref.....AFTER the play was dead, and no flag was thrown.  I didnt watch all of the Vikings game so I can't speak to what he was doing or not doing, but I think this stuff is being blown out of proportion just a tad bit.

Despite all the talk about Beckham and his antics.....I'm really and truly more pissed at Eli for throwing these God awful back-breaking interceptions.  And Im sorry but Monday night Eli looked scared...though I cant say I blame him.  That Vikings defense is no joke. But we've seen Eli lead the league in interceptions *3* times and hasn't had a winning record or record better than 9-7 in however long.  None of that is Odell's fault so I'm confused by all the talk about how Odell is distracting Eli from doing his qb studying or whatever on the sidelines.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, FuriousStyles said:

Beckham didn't just make one great catch.  He's made a bunch of them.  IMO, he made a better one against the Dolphins where he caught the ball and simultaneously dove into the endzone.  He set a bunch of records for a rookie receiver and had a really good pace going as far as TD receptions. If Odell had ONLY made that one catch against the Cowboys he wouldn't be a star right now.

If you are going to be a 'star', accept the fact that you can't been seen during the day.

57 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

Now, I hope this isn't the kind of maturity we expect from the stars in the NFL?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/report-police-believe-broncos-db-aqib-talib-shot-himself-in-the-leg-004520156.html

No, but I think we're all in agreement that while OBJ is certainly not comporting himself well in public atm, "acting like a baby" is nowhere even near the same universe as Aqib Talib's gun-related stupidity/violence. I mean, that's not even a contest.

Talib is one good player I 500% did not mind the Pats not bringing back, gotta say. He mostly toed the line with the Pats but you knew it was just a matter of time.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Even if the league itself won't shell out, I wish the owners would. They have more than enough money, and I really do think it would help a handful on players on each time, even if only because every team has a few guys who struggle with confidence/rebounding from mistakes. Plus some guys who struggle in crunch time would probably be helped too.

I don't know about other teams, but I think the Seahawks either have a psych or some kind of other counselor on call. Pete Carroll has talked about training the whole player and not just physically. Quite frankly, even if it's not mandated, it seems like a sound investment. How many players have we seen flunk out of the NFL because they just can't or don't handle the transition well?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, stealinghome said:

No, but I think we're all in agreement that while OBJ is certainly not comporting himself well in public atm, "acting like a baby" is nowhere even near the same universe as Aqib Talib's gun-related stupidity/violence. I mean, that's not even a contest.

Talib is one good player I 500% did not mind the Pats not bringing back, gotta say. He mostly toed the line with the Pats but you knew it was just a matter of time.

So, you don't mind that he shoots himself in the leg and is lost for possibly the rest of the seasonI don'?

What is the difference between shooting yourself in the leg off the field and doing it on the field?

John Gruden - this morning on ESPN - said the same things that I feel. Sit the fucker down until he gets his head straight (I loved the video clip of OBJ, on the sideline, acting like a 6 year old that watched his puppy get run over........histrionics or what?).

I am a fan and think I should get my $ worth - I invested tons of money and time in the NFL, don't they owe me at least a decent product? I know if some player came into MY job and I didn't give him great service, they'd be bitching like little girls?

1 hour ago, ElDosEquis said:

John Gruden - this morning on ESPN - said the same things that I feel. Sit the fucker down until he gets his head straight (I loved the video clip of OBJ, on the sideline, acting like a 6 year old that watched his puppy get run over........histrionics or what?).

I am a fan and think I should get my $ worth - I invested tons of money and time in the NFL, don't they owe me at least a decent product? I know if some player came into MY job and I didn't give him great service, they'd be bitching like little girls?

And as a fan, you want to see a good game, correct? That's what OBJ and Eli are trying to deliver, even if the team doesn't always succeed. We wouldn't even know about OBJ's sideline antics if it weren't for sports media talking about it and playing video clips every chance they get. And BTW, his whiny behavior on the sidelines is way different than committing crimes and harming other people away from the game. 

The only time Beckham's behavior affects the game is when he gets a penalty and costs his team yardage.  He still gives 100% effort when he's on the field. Why would the Giants sit him down--Gruden really needs to sit down and STFU.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ElDosEquis said:

So, you don't mind that he shoots himself in the leg and is lost for possibly the rest of the seasonI don'?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying here--can you explain better? I've already said that Talib shooting himself in the leg is unacceptable, so yes, I "mind" that he shot himself in the leg. No free passes for Talib here. But OBJ's antics are nowhere near that level. There is a distinct difference between being a moron on the field versus potentially not even being able to see the field because you made a bad life decision in the offseason. Neither is acceptable but in the grand scheme of things OBJ's "transgression" is far better.

I do think the Giants need to send OBJ to a therapist to help him through his ish. But I also think that the NFL needs to stop letting Josh Norman body-slam OBJ to the ground with no penalty, and think he has a legitimate right to be upset about that (not that OBJ is handling it particularly well). And honestly, if you're THAT concerned about the product OBJ is putting out, and think he is delivering THAT poorly on the "service" (for lack of a better term) he owes fans? The answer is simple: just don't watch Giants games. It's like going to a restaurant. Don't like the food? Don't go back. Vote with your wallet. No one's forcing you to watch.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I really don't get this false equivalency where running your mouth during the game or locker room or having a meltdown on the field is the same as beating your wife or gun issues, DUI, etc. Actually it's treated as worse. Since Kap, there's this plantation mentality imo that's surfaced that's really disturbing. It's not really fair to lump Kap with OBJ but the responses to them have been painfully consistent. 

• Love 8

Aside from a couple of temper tantrums, has there been other incidents where OBJ's conduct has damaged his team? He definitely needs to get his head together, but I also think the media is over hyping this because there's nothing else semi-scandalous going on at the moment. Similar to last year's non-issue of Cam dancing in the end zone, this is being blown way out of proportion. I'm sure before long somebody from the Bengals will get arrested for drugs, guns or DUI, and hopefully the media will give Odell a break. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7
On 10/4/2016 at 9:52 PM, topanga said:

Through the years, I've constantly heard, "Cunningham needs to get Randy Moss involved, or he'll get upset and lose interest in the game."

That was the stuff I was dreading when he came to the Patriots.  I don't know what Belichick told him, but as it turned out he was a perfectly professional gentleman when he was up here.  And then he and a prime-of-his-career Brady put together that 2007 season.  (And this part here is where I tell the Giants fans that I and the whole world know perfectly well how it ended, thank you very much. :)

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

That was the stuff I was dreading when he came to the Patriots.  I don't know what Belichick told him, but as it turned out he was a perfectly professional gentleman when he was up here.  And then he and a prime-of-his-career Brady put together that 2007 season.  (And this part here is where I tell the Giants fans that I and the whole world know perfectly well how it ended, thank you very much. :)

Actually, that was my only disappointment in the outcome of that game--the fact that Randy Moss didn't win a Super Bowl ring that year. I felt it was second one he should've gotten. That magic season in Minnesota also ended in heartbreak. 

• Love 1

It's interesting that several so called "problem players" have gone to NE and performed well and without incident. Do they have counselors on staff? Or is it because many of them are a little older and have a larger pov of the league? Belichick doesn't strike me as much of a touchy feely guy as Carroll does, for example. 

• Love 1

Belichick won't coddle his players. He treats them like men and expects them to play football to win. The problem players from other teams move on to the Patriots and get into the mindset that BB sets and the winning attitude. No matter how immature they are they ultimately want to win.

• Love 3

This is clearly my personal opinion but all these players are over the age of 18.   They are professional football players, not guys who get together to play some football on Saturdays in the park.   They need to act like grown up professionals just like everyone else with a fricking job has to act.   It is not the coaches or the teams or the League's job to ensure they have the skills to act like grown ups.   It is solely ont he player.   If they need help coping with adversity, they can go get help.       If they don't, that is nobody's else problem but their own.    Just like any other job.      I don't do my job, the judge yells at me and the client fires me.   No one acts concerned and asks if I had the right tools needed to do the job.   It is presumed I already have those or that I am capable of going and getting them on my own.   

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

I watch the 'game' and have no patience for grownups acting like babies, chumps or the twattery that most of you will give a guy a 'pass' on.I

Who is giving OBJ a pass though? Everyone on this thread has acknowledged that he's not handling himself properly. Now, opinions clearly differ as to what can be done to change his behavior and whether he should be offered help (and if so by whom), but no one has said his bevahior is acceptable. No one is giving him a "pass."

• Love 2
18 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Same deal with Aaron Hernandez. The organization was able to help him keep his nose clean for the first few years before his true nature reared its' ugly head. Given his history, a colossal implosion would've happened sooner or later.

The first rule of these forums is to Be Civil. Being rude and dismissive to your fellow posters is unacceptable. Agree to disagree, ignore other posters, or move on. If you see the discussion is getting out of hand, do not engage and please report it to the mod team.

Secondly, this thread is about the NFL and NFL games. Too much discussion about politics and current affairs is off-topic. Do not use the NFL and news as a launching pad for other contentious discussions.

Thank you.

• Love 2

You know who the biggest divas in the NFL are? 

The owners. And it's not even close.

Jim "The Mad Tweeter" Irsay (Pay no attention to the bag of cash.)

Jerry "GM? Why the hell would we need one of those when I'm here?" Jones.

And my favorite Dan Snyder. (Remember that time he illegally cut down trees to give his house a better view of the Potomac? Or that time he sued CityPaper for having the audacity to publish true embarrassing information about him?)

No player has come close to doing as much damage to their respective teams as these guys. (How's that Grigson/Pagano extension looking Jim?)

Personally I think most of this immaturity/cancer in the locker room/diva talk is just fodder for the talking head who have to fill an increasing amount of airtime.

And you know what, so what if there are divas. These are individuals with very rare skill sets that employers are willing to coddle because they help them make money. No different from box office movie stars or high earning Wall Street types. Yet, for some reason, football players are the ones that are judged by their moral failings when when they don't do things "the right way". 

Edited by xaxat
After all these years I still occasionally confuse Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones.
  • Love 9

Watching Mike and Mike this morning.  I like the idea of a touchdown celebration clock, that could be fun. 

I know the NFL is a wholesome sport, with the highest quality role models who are the bastion of American characters, so I can see why we shouldn't have celebrations at all. There's children that watch these games. How do parents explain this to them? I don't even know what a twerk is! I nearly sprained my wrist from clutching my pearls so hard. I mean, look at the other football: soccer. When they score a goal, they respectfully bow for the fans and quietly run back to their position for the kickoff. 

So it makes sense to me to add another rule like a touchdown celebration clock. The game is really fast and loose and the refs really need to reassert control.

• Love 2

This is the first year since 1984 that I have not watched NFL football.  Those  ignorant, arrogant, obnoxious,  drug taking, wife beating, gun toting, trash talking thugs,  make me want to puke.

But the only reason the players are twerking and gyrating is because they can't use any props and they can't do anything choreographed with teammates.  If the league loosened up their ridiculous rules about celebrations I doubt that we'd be seeing that.  But for my 2 cents I dont have a problem with the twerking, I thought it was funny. I just find it a little hypocritical of the league (surprise) to talk about how inappropriate it is for the players to twerk when they have dozens of scantily clad women on the sidelines pretty much doing to exact same thing.   

What also gets me is that the NFL never hesitates to use that infamous clip of T.O. and the popcorn when they're promoting the playoffs or whatever.  Or Chad Johnson with his Hall Of Fame jacket.  Those guys had some classic celebrations and its a shame the league decided to stiffle the players' creativity. 

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 3

Joe Horn with the cellphones always makes me laugh. He put one in the padding of each goalpost since he couldn't be sure which one he would score in. Definitely gets an "A" for planning ahead.

• Love 2

When I see World Cup goal celebrations of multi-man choreographed routines like a crew of fishermen trying to reel in a fish I get jealous. 

Just once in Week 17 in a meaningless game I want to see a team go full kickline. 

EDIT: No, I got it.  For week 4 of the preseason waive the excessive celebration rules except for violence and lewdness. It'd be like The Purge. Let everyone get it out of their system. It's probably the only thing that would make Week 4 of the preseason watchable. 

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 5

Penalty served, charged time out

No need to rage, no need to pout

Unsportsmanlike penalty, fifteen yards

an accumulation of little red cardss

Let's go to the field, That's where he's found

one circus catch, the hair of a clown

No touchdowns scored, in this calendar year

He kinds sucks, compared to his peers

A childish rant on the sideline

we'll watch him crash, just give him time

Smash gatorade coolers - on my TV set

Got his ass kicked by a field goal net

One thing we've seen, we know it for sure

He's lost his swagger, he's not mature.

A suspension and fines in his short past

And some 20k taken out of his ass

One thing I'll enjoy, without a doubt

is watching his star, grow large and flame out.

Blood in the water, sharks are about.

You ain't gonna survive punching them in the snout

You just told the league something for certain

You tipped out bro, you sure are hurting

Defensive backs do have your number

May as well sit, or they'll put you under

Could be the last time we see odell

and for me, that would be just swell.

--------------------

It's all billy Johnson's fault.

Edited by ElDosEquis
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Popples said:

Definitely gets an "A" for planning ahead.

Except he forgot to warn his kids this would be happening.   So when he called them, they didn't answer.   Also he scored when the Saints were getting blown out.   It was this stunt that caused them to crack down on ALL stunts.   

I'm a Packers fan....So I've gotta ask: Why does the NFL hate the Packers?

The Packers played on Sunday Night Football vs. the Emmys a few weeks ago.

On Sunday, they play on Sunday Night Football vs. the 2nd presidential debate, which may get a boost from Friday's news.

Maybe the NFL planned it this way, knowing that Aaron Rodgers (and, yes, Eli Manning) would be a draw in this season of slumping ratings.

• Love 1

Unfortunately they wouldn't have known about the ratings or the debates when the schedule was made.

I imagine it was a combination of Eli+Odell+Aaron x let's have the same teams play the night games over and over and see if anyone notices.

I would much rather have the Giants not be the standalone game so the media would have something else to talk about.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Each team is allowed 5 primetime appearances a year.   WHY they give some teams two of those number so close together I have no idea.

Exactly. I can understand 8-9 weeks apart but not this. Maybe the Packers don't have compelling matchups later on in the season.

• Love 1