Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The Texans owner passed away.  My condolences to the family, team and community.

Our Thanksgiving table talk revolved around who’s getting canned at the end of the season.  Consensus is McCarthy and Dirk definitely, with possibilities of Dan Quinn, Bowles and Marrone.  

And Clay Matthews has made the semi final cut for the HOF.  He’ 3rd on the all time tackle list, he should’ve been there by now.

And of course, I’m thankful for the Browns winning three games.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3

He brought football back to Houston.   What he did after that is another matter.

There's still a month of football left and yet it is OBVIOUS who is gone at the end of the season.   Remember, the Browns only have an interim coach.

Why on earth did the schedulers put both New Orleans and Dallas on back to back Thursdays?

Also I wish people would stop watching the stupid Cowboys so I don’t have to keep hearing about how their games are the highest rated blah dee blah.

• Love 4

I am glad that the Browns beat the Bengals today. Baker played very well and they had some pretty impressive looking touchdowns. The team as a whole started off playing very well, but got too conservative early in the 2nd half on both offense and defense. I didn't like seeing them play like that in the 2nd half, allowing Cincy to score multiple times and get back in the game. I'm glad they were able to hold onto the lead.

Disappointed the Panthers lost against the Seahawks today, but I still believe they will make the playoffs. 

Edited by Jx223
42 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

Disappointed the Panthers lost against the Seahawks today, but I still believe they will make the playoffs. 

Not seeing it. Defense can't get off the field in big moments, and they've still got to play the Saints twice. Looking like a 9-7 or 8-8 season, and the Seahawks and Redskins hold tiebreakers over us. 

Good win for the Broncos against the Steelers to help with their playoff chances. Too many costly mistakes by the Steelers did them in. The Steelers schedule going forward is tough, they have games against the Saints, Chargers and Patriots. I believe they will probably at least win against Oakland and Cincy and win their division, but this loss tonight has impact on their seeding. The Patriots are now #2 in the AFC. 

Also, the Colts have now won 5 in a row. Andrew Luck has been playing well. I think they could possibly get the last Wildcard and final 6th playoff spot in the AFC.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

Why on earth did the schedulers put both New Orleans and Dallas on back to back Thursdays?

Also I wish people would stop watching the stupid Cowboys so I don’t have to keep hearing about how their games are the highest rated blah dee blah.

They have interesting games so people watch them.   If other teams did the same, their ratings would be up too.

#inDakWeTrust

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jx223 said:

Good win for the Broncos against the Steelers to help with their playoff chances. Too many costly mistakes by the Steelers did them in. The Steelers schedule going forward is tough, they have games against the Saints, Chargers and Patriots. I believe they will probably at least win against Oakland and Cincy and win their division, but this loss tonight has impact on their seeding. The Patriots are now #2 in the AFC. 

Also, the Colts have now won 5 in a row. Andrew Luck has been playing well. I think they could possibly get the last Wildcard and final 6th playoff spot in the AFC.

I think the seeding for a bye is the least of the Steelers problems.  The local folks wrote off the other teams in the division, including Baltimore.  However, they are now saying that the Ravens are around to pass them, totally disregarding that they said that the Ravens were done.  Pittsburgh needs to beat Los Angeles next week unless they plan on winning any one of their following games in Oakland, vs New England, and at the Superdome.  Sure they can take care of Cincy, but the last thing the Steelers can afford is to have to play a Week 17 game with meaning.  Especially against the Bengals.

Hats off to the Colts; speaking of Baltimore, Indy and the Ravens both winning out probably gives the edge to the Ravens thanks to common opponents.  So much football to be played.  I think Coach Reich is really a difference maker in the NFL.  The Colts were awful last year, the Eagles won it all.  This year the Colts are good, the Eagles aren't (though it looks like their demise won't come until Week 17).  Barring whatever, Luck won't win the MVP this year over Brees, but I think he has locked up the comeback player of the year (if it isn't Watt)

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Carey said:

Barring whatever, Luck won't win the MVP this year over Brees,

It'll probably go Brees, Mahomes, Gurley.

5 minutes ago, Carey said:

Sure they can take care of Cincy, but the last thing the Steelers can afford is to have to play a Week 17 game with meaning.  Especially against the Bengals.

Cincy will always go Cincy against the Steelers. As far as possible injuries go, they just need Burfict to get suspended before then.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

A day where Andrew Luck and Phillip Rivers are slobbered over is a sad day for this fan.  

I mean, if my team can only have one half of happiness I can only root for everyone else to have misery too.

Did you mean Phyllis Rivers?  I hate that bitch.   Neck beard Luck only has my favor because he is my FF QB in my lady league.  I’m most sad today for my Momma, as it is her bday and her (our team 💛💚) lost, not that it means anything, they are done and that is ok.  The NFC North is embarrassing (just like the Big Ten, but don’t get me going on that).   GO ON CHIEFS!!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻   

6 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I’m most sad today for my Momma, as it is her bday and her (our team 💛💚) lost, not that it means anything, they are done and that is ok.

You have to take the long view. This most likely means McCarthy is gone and that's for the best.

In the latest installment from the "we all knew it but the NFL continues to make it blindingly obvious" files:

peacefully kneeling during the anthem = unofficial lifetime ban from the NFL

beating your girlfriend (AGAIN) = picked up by a team and paid your full salary not to play.

Seriously, Kaepernick's collusion case gets easier and easier to prove every day.    Alex Smith breaks his leg, who do they sign to back up Colt McCoy?  Mark Sanchez who hasn't played in a game since 2015.   Blake Bortles who was considered good enough to be a starter is benched for Cody Kessler.    When the Nathan Peterman (more on him in a moment) experiment fails in Buffalo in spectacular fashion, who do they sign to back up their rookie QB?   Derek Anderson who is 800 years old and hasn't played in years.   Peterman who was cut because throwing every single ball directly into the dirt would have RAISED his QB rating actually got a workout immediately after being cut.    Kaepernick can't even get THAT.   Forget depositions and discovery just show the judge the last two weeks in the NFL.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

In the latest installment from the "we all knew it but the NFL continues to make it blindingly obvious" files:

peacefully kneeling during the anthem = unofficial lifetime ban from the NFL

beating your girlfriend (AGAIN) = picked up by a team and paid your full salary not to play.

Seriously, Kaepernick's collusion case gets easier and easier to prove every day.    Alex Smith breaks his leg, who do they sign to back up Colt McCoy?  Mark Sanchez who hasn't played in a game since 2015.   Blake Bortles who was considered good enough to be a starter is benched for Cody Kessler.    When the Nathan Peterman (more on him in a moment) experiment fails in Buffalo in spectacular fashion, who do they sign to back up their rookie QB?   Derek Anderson who is 800 years old and hasn't played in years.   Peterman who was cut because throwing every single ball directly into the dirt would have RAISED his QB rating actually got a workout immediately after being cut.    Kaepernick can't even get THAT.   Forget depositions and discovery just show the judge the last two weeks in the NFL.

To be fair, I'm glad Washington didn't sign Kaepernick. I'd hate to have to want that team to do well, just to further prove that Kaep was always more than worthy of being on an NFL roster. Fuck that team and fuck their awful owner.

Meanwhile, that very same team just reinforced my opinion of them by claiming Reuben Foster off waivers. He's been arrested three times this year, twice for domestic abuse, and rightly cut by the 49ers.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7

Great win for the Cowboys.I had thought that the Saints were going to win this game, but if Dallas had any chance to win it the Defense would have to play well. And I think that overall they did in spite of some costly penalties. Leighton Vander Esch in particular played well, and Jaylon Smith did a nice job too. 

• Love 1

WTactualF with the Saints tonight?  I like them, but am not emotionally invested in them, so I wouldn't care if this implosion wasn't against the damn Cowboys.  The loss works to the Rams' advantage, so yay, but fuck the Cowboys.

And while I'm on WTFery, it is appalling that the officials didn't call a penalty on that "I have lowered my head and aimed my helmet at my opponent's helmet and thus could not be more textbook if I tried" nonsense that should have kept NO's drive alive.  Regardless of that implication, you just can't let a hit like that stand even under this lip service given to player safety.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Wait. How does Tony Romo get a Football Life episode?

There are quite a few people getting episodes that haven't really won much of anything. Steve Smith got one and he hasn't really won anything either. I think they are running out of people to do episodes for. But maybe that will change once some Hall of Fame type players that are currently playing retire.

Edited by Jx223
7 hours ago, xaxat said:

Wait. How does Tony Romo get a Football Life episode?

Probably the same reason he gets to Canton: the logo on the sides of the helmet.  In reality, I agree with Jx223 that they've run out of people, but it's a matter of time before we'll be seeing ones from soon to be retired people.  Though that didn't stop them from doing one for Fitz (Larry not Ryan)

7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The Boys are back in town.  The Boys are back in town.  

(still hoping for a Rams-Chiefs Super Bowl because I am happy not insane).

Rams now control their own destiny.  As much as I like the teams like the Saints, Rams, and Chiefs, I would have hated to see a 15-1 team have to travel, especially since it's due to the only team that knocked them off in that place, where LA would have to go.  If it was any other team (save for Seattle and possible New England) I wouldn't have cared.  If the Rams can find a way to win on December 9th, then they should be okay.  Detroit on the road isn't easy either since the Lions are coming off of a 9-day break (I think).  But the Rams being off 12-days from Mexico is okay enough

At the end of the day, I think the Saints losing was something they can afford and that they'll still stay home before a possible trip to Atlanta in February.  Their only tough game I believe is against Carolina at Bank of America, but it'll be close between them and the Rams for home-field

Kansas City at home isn't a big deal, especially if Baltimore & the Chargers (and possibly Houston) keep rolling into January

53 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I'm really surprised that didn't result in a suspension when the NFL first got wind of it. Wasn't the whole thing with Ezekiel Elliott that he violated the player conduct policy even though he was never convicted of domestic violence? Now we've got the Redskins signing Foster despite his third or fourth scuffle with his girlfriend and Hunt never received any punishment at all. The League is so random. 

12 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Well, as long as he doesn't kneel right?

As Jemele Hill said, had Kaepernick laid hands on a woman, he would still have a job in the league.

13 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm really surprised that didn't result in a suspension when the NFL first got wind of it

Teams and the league are making some extraordinarily cynical calculations when it comes to allegations against players. Just look at what Doug Williams said about picking up Foster, " You can't get into nitpicking what they do and what you do. You gotta look at it from your standpoint. There was a lot of thought that went into it. It wasn't just a spur of the moment type of thing. We all gathered, we talked about it, we knew there was going to be some risk-reward involved in it."

If a team thinks they can get away with it, they are going to try.

• Love 5

From my understanding, Kareem Hunt's now former teammate Tyreek Hill has worse in his past. But no video. So... He's still a Chief.

That explains why such an obvious talent was available in the fifth round.

Found the details of Tyreek Hill's story. Punched and choked his pregnant girlfriend. Pleaded guilty. Served 3 years of probation, Record is now expunged.

Can't wait for Washington to claim Hunt.

• Love 1

Its like the league learned nothing from the Ray Rice incident. 

Same thing that happened here.  Investigate, no video footage.........we'll sweep it under the rug.

Video footage comes out......well now we'll punish him since people know what actually happened

Why doesn't the NFL just hire TMZ to investigate all these things and figure out what happened?  Would save them time and they would not look as stupid in the end when all this stuff comes out anyway. 

How did they NOT have this video available before?

Or did they have it available and saw it, and ignored it?

Either way, its bad. 

• Love 1

I don't condone violence, but the girl was no shrinking violet. Calling him the "n-word", assaulting his female friend, refusing to leave when asked etc. 

Obviously as the multi-millionaire NFL player, it's on Hunt to do the smart thing and not throw gasoline on the fire, but I'm not exactly busting out my violin for this girl either.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

If a team thinks they can get away with it, they are going to try.

Yup.  If a player sucks then the team will have no problem releasing him and stating how they're an organization with integrity and will not tolerate having anyone of such dubious moral character on the payroll.  If it's a good player?  Well then, everyone makes mistakes, let's not rush to judgement, there are two sides to every story, etc.

The problem with the Hunt incident is 1) his disproportionate response (although to the N word so SOME overreaction is okay), he is bigger and stronger than her, he could have pulled his punches and 2) when she was down and CLEARLY not getting up, he kicks her.   That's when he went so far over the line to have no claim to self-defense.

The Chiefs released Hunt because he lied to the team about the incident.   The video coming out only got him on the Comissionser's Exempt list.   Which Elliott was never put on when he should have been.   But lying gets you cut, not beating a woman, remember that.

And you know I will give Tyreek Hill a break.   Not condoning the violence but he plead guilty, accepted his actions and has tried to be better.    If doing all that still gets you banned from the NFL well players -- and regular folks -- won't stop because there is no reason to.   If we recognize people can grow and change we should encourage that by not having them lose their livelihood.   

As usual though the League fucked this all up.   This is 2018 they KNOW there is surveillance video in hotels.   They just want to pretend it doesn't exist so they can continue to fuck things up.    How the FUCK hard is it to have a consistent policy?   

Oh and I have some room to be pissed at the cops too.   The woman said she wanted to press charges.   They had the video.   Yes, she was no angel, but cops have arrested for less.   Prosecutors have WON worse cases.   You know what this woman learned?   Don't bother, no one will do anything -- until TMZ puts out the video.    So what does that tell all the woman who aren't assaulted by famous people?   Don't bother, no one will do anything.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

If it's a good player?  Well then, everyone makes mistakes, let's not rush to judgement, there are two sides to every story, etc.

Unless you kneel. Then "he doesn't fit our system". 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I don't condone violence, but the girl was no shrinking violet. Calling him the "n-word", assaulting his female friend, refusing to leave when asked etc. 

Obviously as the multi-millionaire NFL player, it's on Hunt to do the smart thing and not throw gasoline on the fire, but I'm not exactly busting out my violin for this girl either.

Kareem Hunt really is not a multimillionaire NFL player

NFL player, yes, but he is in his second year in the league on a fairly low paying contract, about $500K per year. 

Just now, Moose135 said:

And as bad as it looks, they go into halftime down by only 4 points.

I’ve never heard the name Alec Ogletree before today but he is my new favorite player.  It helps that he is wearing the jersey number of my favorite player OF ALL TIME.  

It’s interesting that they said if this were January Trubisky would be playing.  Will we see him in the second half?

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Bad teams make stupid mistakes that show why they are bad teams.  What the hell Odell.

Why am I not surprised about that coming from him? 

And because of that, the Bears have just tied the game.

After today, we probably won't have to worry about Aaron Rodgers in January this season. Hopefully, this will also put an end to him being in the GOAT (QB) discussion. Rodgers-Brady comparison is so pointless on so many levels. 

Edited by Magog

I am disappointed that the Panthers and Browns lost today. The Panther are in trouble and may have lost their chance at a playoff spot. I had thought that last week that maybe they could still make it.  But it looks like that chance is becoming further out of reach with today's fourth straight loss.

Baker and the Browns had a very rough 1st half today, (Baker had 3INTS), but I was glad that they played much better in the 2nd half. I thought that Baker did a nice job of recovering from his poor first half, but unfortunately it wasn't enough to overcome the deficit the Browns had. Hopefully, they will learn from this experience and play better next week and beyond. 

I think it was a rough day in general for teams who are trying to sneak into the playoffs/holding onto the thread for a playoff spot. Teams like the Packers, Colts, Panthers saw their playoff chances further diminish, and in some cases almost be erased. The Rams on the OTOH keep rolling and won the NFC West Division leader title. They are the first team to clinch a playoff spot for this season.

Edited by Jx223