Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I wonder who gets that last playoff spot. It looks like the Chargers will get the first Wildcard spots. Then Things are really tight between teams like the Colts, Ravens, Dolphins, Titans, with the Broncos also still in the hunt. Cleveland technically has not been eliminated yet, but they would need a lot of help (including winning out) to have any chance of getting that last spot. IMO, either the Colts, or Ravens have the best shot of getting it.

I would bet on the Ravens first and then the Colts

Lamar Jackson was hurt at the end of the Ravens game, next to last play or so, so not sure of his status, that could make a difference. 

Colts Titans play the last week of the season.  Lose of that is out.  I think the Colts will win that one and vs. the Giants.  Dallas next week is a big one. 

I can't see the Dolphins winning out.  They are an 8-8 team.

One of these teams will get to 10 wins.  WHoever does likely gets the last spot. 

Balt has Oakland, SD and Cleveland left, SD could be a loss and even Cleveland is no easy win. 

Titans have the suddenly pathetic redskins and the Giants, plus the Colts. 

Broncos are down right now 13-0 to SF, so have to win that one first. 

Then complicating this is there is only 1/2 game between Balt and Pitt, so they could switch spots with balt division winner and Pitt in the WC

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

I wonder why weird shit tends to happen to the Patriots in Miami.

My list of reasons:

Weather difference 

Crappy field

Dolphins usually better than the Jets and Bills

”Any given Sunday”

”Division rivals are always tough”

The Wildcat (2009 only)

Half the team was injured (2015)

Occasionally meaningless week 17 game (2006) 

I believe that when the Pats beat the Dolphins in 1986 it broke a huge losing streak in the Orange Bowl. They might have been 0-fer in Miami in fact until then. It’s always a tough game. 

Thay was a fun last play, except that it happened to my team. 

• Love 3

I guess nobody wants the AFC North.  If Cleveland beat the Bengals (home) and Ravens (away), and they’ve already beaten both, we could actually win the division.  Especially since the Squealers have two tough games ahead.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 4
Just now, roamyn said:

I guess nobody wants the AFC North.  If Cleveland beat the Bengals (home) and Ravens (away), and they’ve already beaten both, we could actually win the division.  Especially since the Squealers have two tough games ahead.

I would love to see the Browns win the division.

• Love 9
Just now, Fukui San said:

The Steelers loss and the way that they loss makes the Pats loss sting less. 

I feel a similar way, just with the teams swapped around.

The Steelers haven't won in Oakland since like 1995. Maybe they'll have better luck in Vegas.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I had saw that one way the Browns could get into the playoffs is if they win out and Pitt loses out. Today's loss against Oakland helps Cleveland and the Steelers do have games against the Patriots/Saints the next couple of weeks. I could see them losing those two games, but beating Cincy in the final week of the regular season. I read that the other way the Browns could get in would be to win out and then have several teams lose at least 2 of their remaining games.  Broncos helped them out a little with that today by losing against the 49ers.

Also, I am glad that the Cowboys won tonight's game. Dak had several rough moments, including having multiple turnovers. But fortunately Amari Cooper made multiple big plays that helped them get the win in OT. He did a great job and really made the difference for them tonight.

Edited by Jx223
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

t’s always a disappointment to exonerate Snyder.

I can take care of that for you. 

Jack Kent Cooke was the owner before Snyder. He was appreciated by Washington fans for the three Super Bowls he delivered. The team, at that time, played in RFK. But Cooke decided to build a new stadium in Maryland. While fans didn't like the location fans appreciated the fact that he spent his own money. Around that time he passed away, before the stadium was finished. His sons took over management of the team and named the stadium in his honor. But Cooke didn't let them inherit the team. His will instructed them to sell the stadium and the team to finance a charitable foundation worth almost a billion dollars.

Which, once a again, was a action fans appreciated.

Then Dan Snyder bought the team and almost immediately sold the naming rights, removing Cooke's name. Which fans really did not appreciate. The relationship has gone downhill ever since then.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

I can take care of that for you. 

Jack Kent Cooke was the owner before Snyder. He was appreciated by Washington fans for the three Super Bowls he delivered. The team, at that time, played in RFK. But Cooke decided to build a new stadium in Maryland. While fans didn't like the location fans appreciated the fact that he spent his own money. Around that time he passed away, before the stadium was finished. His sons took over management of the team and named the stadium in his honor. But Cooke didn't let them inherit the team. His will instructed them to sell the stadium and the team to finance a charitable foundation worth almost a billion dollars.

Which, once a again, was a action fans appreciated.

Then Dan Snyder bought the team and almost immediately sold the naming rights, removing Cooke's name. Which fans really did not appreciate. The relationship has gone downhill ever since then.

As a side note, Cooke managed to convince the Post Office to rename that part of Landover "Raljohn" after his kids, Ralph and John.  The locals did not appreciate that.  Tony Kornheiser always said it was a good thing his kids were not named Peter and Ennis. 

The area is again Landover.  

• Love 5

I remember Raljon!

@ebk57 did you watch the old Redskins Report with Wilbon, Kornheiser, Jurgensen and Riggins back in the day? That show was hilarious.

(I feel old. That question is like asking if you watch George Michael's Sports Machine.)

• Love 2
Just now, xaxat said:

I remember Raljon!

@ebk57 did you watch the old Redskins Report with Wilbon, Kornheiser, Jurgensen and Riggins back in the day? That show was hilarious.

(I feel old. That question is like asking if you watch George Michael's Sports Machine.)

Yes!  And I also watched the Sports Machine!  Plus the basketball show Tony did with David DuPree and other people on channel 4 during the season.  Thank goodness channel 4 still does the Sunday-After-The-News sports roundup show, because the other stations ditched it a few years ago.  

• Love 2

Well, shit.

I expected the Rams to play an incredibly tough game, and more likely than not lose, in Chicago, but this loss still stings for coming to fruition.  And it's not lost on me that had the St. Louis Rams lost said game, I'd be thrilled as someone who has long liked the Bears and the Saints.

Plus the fucking Cowboys won.  But so did the Giants (go figure) and Raiders, and the Patriots lost, so it's not a total shitfest of a day.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Yes!  And I also watched the Sports Machine!  Plus the basketball show Tony did with David DuPree and other people on channel 4 during the season.  Thank goodness channel 4 still does the Sunday-After-The-News sports roundup show, because the other stations ditched it a few years ago.  

Two great things about R Report. Everybody trying to egg Riggins into saying something off color and Sonny always picking Washington to win. "I know we are down to our third string QB and the defense is weak. But if our QB completes every pass and the defense sacks the opposing QB eight times. . . then they might win."

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ebk57 said:

As a side note, Cooke managed to convince the Post Office to rename that part of Landover "Raljohn" after his kids, Ralph and John.  The locals did not appreciate that.  Tony Kornheiser always said it was a good thing his kids were not named Peter and Ennis. 

The area is again Landover.  

I was so happy that they didn't go with that name because "Raljohn" just sounded stupid.  Bless Jack Kent Cooke's heart. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, mojoween said:

Fuck. Dallas. Sideways.

This 1000 times.  This loss is a bitter pill for me to swallow mainly because of the robbery that happened on the kickoff.  Firstly, how does every official on the field miss the fumble?!  OK. That's bad enough but after an extensive review that shows 4 GREEN JERSEYS covering the ball, they come back with , "No clear recovery?!"  What the actual fuck???  

Believe me, I know the Birds had their chances and Wentz and the offense played like shit for 3 quarters but I can't help but think that play was game - changing in the worst way for Philly.  And Amari Cooper scored all those TDs on DBs that were either practice squad, injured or unemployed 2 weeks ago.  Color me unimpressed.  

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I believe that when the Pats beat the Dolphins in 1986 it broke a huge losing streak in the Orange Bowl. They might have been 0-fer in Miami in fact until then. It’s always a tough game. 

#SquishTheFish My 11 y/o self picked the Pats and beat the sports guy in the paper. A quick search said that NE lost 18 straight in Miami. 

IIRC, the Pats beat Miami on the last Monday night of the season to get into the playoffs.

Thank you, Chucky, for the early Christmas present of Khalil Mack.  I'm sure Crazy Jerry would also thank you for Amari Cooper, but he thinks he's the genius that orchestrated that (but we know the opposite).  Hope you don't lose your shirt in Vegas!

-- A Super Happy Bears Fan

• Love 8
7 hours ago, xaxat said:

That's cold blooded. It was clear that Gruden was running the ship. They could have easily let McKenzie finish the season.

It's not like he was going to screw up their playoff run.

I believe Davis gave him the opportunity to stay but Reggie declined, turning the effective termination date from the end of the year to right now.  That's according to Raiders insider Vic Tafur and not some random person on Social Media saying so, but the timing was rather odd.  Since the rumors started within the past couple of weeks I guess it was a plan to oust him win or lose, but as mentioned, it's Gruden's show and the ship was definitely not big enough for the two of them.  Makes you wonder why they didn't fire him during the offseason

6 hours ago, xaxat said:

Whitten is one and done in the MNF booth. Booger is clearly better at pbp. 

If Jason Garrett gets his way Whitten will be back in uniform soon.

I love Booger.  He does have a good rapport with Tess and Whitten and I love how he calls Jason “Whit” like it’s no big thing.

Because of The LeBatard Show now all I can think of with Tess is Mike Ryan imitating him saying “Baker Mayfield”.

Now Wentz isn't starting against the Rams because of his "back spasms?"

I am more than a little annoyed by this announcement.  I thought Wentz came back from the knee rehab too soon.  He wasn't ready in September when they started him in Game 3 but everyone was so giddy about his return that they threw caution to the wind and allowed him to start.  He's looked questionable all season, despite what his QB rating has been.  He's been tentative, he's holding the ball too long and he clearly wasn't able to extend plays with his legs like he did before the injury.  Ugh.  Should've sat his ass down after the Saints debacle when we still had a real shot at winning the NFC East.  

5 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I am more than a little annoyed by this announcement.  I thought Wentz came back from the knee rehab too soon.  He wasn't ready in September when they started him in Game 3 but everyone was so giddy about his return that they threw caution to the wind and allowed him to start.  He's looked questionable all season, despite what his QB rating has been.  He's been tentative, he's holding the ball too long and he clearly wasn't able to extend plays with his legs like he did before the injury.  Ugh.  Should've sat his ass down after the Saints debacle when we still had a real shot at winning the NFC East.  

Losing Defilippo and Reich didn't help either.  They've gotta shut him down until 2019 and give him time to get better.  Not sure if he'll be better than 2017 but he has a chance to be better without such a loaded team that was the 2017 Eagles

• Love 1
On 12/12/2018 at 2:48 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Not back spasms.  He actually has a fractured vertebrae.  With how terrible Foles was doing, I wonder that the team didn’t look the other way when Carson said he was ready.

• Love 1

I super get that the Washington logo is racist.  But nothing Kansas City does is problematic?

We all know what Arrowhead is and means, and then they also have the drum, and the tomahawk chop chant, and the name and even the logo could be appropriation.  Just curious why I’ve never heard it come up.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

We all know what Arrowhead is and means, and then they also have the drum, and the tomahawk chop chant, and the name and even the logo could be appropriation.  Just curious why I’ve never heard it come up.

Because it's Kansas City.  You know, the heartland, where decent, God-fearing people live.  Not like those of us who are evil, swamp dwelling creatures who live in and around DC.    

Fuck KC and fuck Mahomes.

• Love 5

Ok so I’m actually rooting for KC tonight and I 1000% root against Phillip Rivers and his stupid team but you made me laugh @Ohwell.  

The Mahomes slobbering does irritate the piss out of me though.  He seems like a nice kid and he is good but god shut up about his no-look pass for cod’s sack.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I super get that the Washington logo is racist.  But nothing Kansas City does is problematic?

It's the name that's is problematic. More so than the logo. And even though Dan Snyder tries to play it off as a respectful reference to Native Americans, the fact that it comes from a founder who was a blatant racist who publicly refused  to sign or draft black players sinks that idea.

• Love 9

Nice win by the Chargers. I was expecting the usual drive ending Rivers interception the last two drives but was pleasantly surprised. Not surprised about the no call on the helmet to helmet hit on Rivers- he gets brutalized every game and doesn’t get many calls. After years of sucking it’s good to see them in the playoffs. That division is definitely going to go down to the wire.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

Chiefs is not a racial slur or reference to a particular ethnic group, unlike Redskins. 

And an Arrowhead logo is not the same as a dark skinned human being as a logo.

But then I don't actually have a problem with the Redskins name or logo either. 

The two are very different however. 

The tomahawk chop, probably racist, but the team can't stop fans from doing stupid things like that. 

• Love 2

This is going to sound preposterous, but it’s true.  When CBS lost the NFC to FOX, it was akin to the USSR breaking up.

FOX?  What the fuck is FOX?  I couldn’t even get it on my TV except at night if it was clear out (not hyperbole, 100% fact).  And the NFL was going there?!?

But the rest, as they say, is history.  The Ringer did a great long-form oral history of it today.  There’s some pretty funny stuff there, I mean, it’s worth it solely for Jerry Glanville’s small anecdote about Kevin Harlan.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/13/18137938/nfl-fox-deal-rupert-murdoch-1993-john-madden-terry-bradshaw-howie-long-jimmy-johnson-cbs-nbc