Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

As soon as i saw that Antonio Brown was trending on Twitter, I knew it was going to bad news.

It really is kind of tragic. The guy was on a fast track to the Hall of Fame, then he wasn't.

I'm 100% team Tom on the Gisele thing. Gisele knew that she was marrying an elite quarterback. It's not like he sold insurance and now he can't stop playing football. Why should he give up football? It's his passion. 

Also about his son Jack, he and Bridget co-parent and Jack and him have a very good relationship.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Dak and Patrick are the "old" men are now.  THIS is why Brady needs to retire -- give someone else a feckin' chance.

It's not Brady's responsibility to do that.  If teams want to keep paying him and he's willing to commit then why wouldn't he keep going if he wants to?  If the Steelers offered Ben R. 30 million to come back next season then it would be a monumentally stupid move on their part, but Ben wouldn't be obligated to say no because he'd be blocking some youngster or because he'd be lousy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

"Old" people shouldn't be put out to pasture if they can still do their job!

I agree completely.  If you think someone's too old, outplay him in training camp and earn his spot.  Don't kvetch about someone being too old; prove it.

• Like 3

Brady and I are the same age and although I'm nothing close to an elite athlete, I do know it's harder to bounce back from stuff after 40. I can't imagine what his body feels like after being pummeled all night by guys in their 20s. His drive and competitiveness seems almost pathological to me, like someone mentioned above. I can't believe Brady doesn't worry about life altering injuries at this point, he is going to have to retire at some point no matter what and if he's left with crippling physical injuries, was this retire/unretire worth it? I don't care how scientific his diet and workout routines are, age and getting the crap knocked out of you eventually catches up.

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I don't care how scientific his diet and workout routines are, age and getting the crap knocked out of you eventually catches up.

I didn't follow him when he was with the Patriots, but IIRC, he was surrounded by really good linemen who helped keep him from getting injured.  He took a lesser salary in order to surround himself with great teammates. That's a pretty smart strategy, in my opinion! If he can win games by not running all over the field, then more power to him!

• Like 2

Brady's successful years, which were most of them, were when he had a strong offensive line and a variety of people to pass to. Not necessarily all star weapons, but at least some options and outlets. There were years on the Patriots when injuries took apart his OL and then he became very human looking. That's what this year on the Bucs seemed like. But he shouldered more of the burden of the offense than usual with no running game. It's not like he looked like last few years of his career Drew Brees, a completely diminished version of himself. 

Put Brady on a strong overall roster with a good Oline again, he probably wins at least 10 games. Whether he should play again or not is up to him, but footballwise he still could. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

As soon as i saw that Antonio Brown was trending on Twitter, I knew it was going to bad news.

It really is kind of tragic. The guy was on a fast track to the Hall of Fame, then he wasn't.

I looked it up and now I cannot unsee it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Whenever I see Brady yelling at players on the sideline, he looks like he's yelling, "Get of my lawn!" 

Sometimes he looks like he's having a WTF moment, as in, WTF is wrong with my team? Of course, him throwing interceptions doesn't help.

• Like 1

Imagine coming out of retirement in the NFL. Imagine risking your marriage to only get bounced out in the wild card round. Your team wouldn't even have been in the playoffs if your division wasn't horrible.

In regards to the draft, it will be interesting to see what happens with CJ Stroud and the Texans. He has the same agent as that loser Deshaun Watson. It will be interesting to see if his agent(who is a rapist defender in my eyes) tries to steer him away from getting the Texans to draft him. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ScorpioSoul said:

Imagine coming out of retirement in the NFL. Imagine risking your marriage to only get bounced out in the wild card round. 

I don't understand why Coach Arians stepped down. I wonder if our season would've been better with him as coach. 

I've sort of been on Team Giselle, because the inference is that he reneged on a decision to retire, derailing whatever life plan they had made, though we can't know that. 

Let's also remember that he has a broadcasting contract on ice with Fox which will pay a metric ton of money, though undoubtdly less than a year on the gridiron gaining a foothold on CTE would. I don't think we can even consider income in the story of those two cash cows.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

I looked it up and now I cannot unsee it.

I did not look it up and hope I can see content SFW and related to sane, decent NFL content

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, ScorpioSoul said:

Imagine coming out of retirement in the NFL. Imagine risking your marriage to only get bounced out in the wild card round. Your team wouldn't even have been in the playoffs if your division wasn't horrible.

In regards to the draft, it will be interesting to see what happens with CJ Stroud and the Texans. He has the same agent as that loser Deshaun Watson. It will be interesting to see if his agent(who is a rapist defender in my eyes) tries to steer him away from getting the Texans to draft him. 

I think the texans want Bryce Young. 

And rumors of indy trading up with Chicago because they love one of the qbs. But then I read it's levis they want and makes no sense to trade from 4 to 1 for him.  He will be there at 4.  Plus as a colts fan he seems like a huge bust factor so that whole scenario to me means we need a new gm too

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've sort of been on Team Giselle, because the inference is that he reneged on a decision to retire, derailing whatever life plan they had made, though we can't know that. 

Let's also remember that he has a broadcasting contract on ice with Fox which will pay a metric ton of money, though undoubtdly less than a year on the gridiron gaining a foothold on CTE would. I don't think we can even consider income in the story of those two cash cows.

Yeah, I'm definitely Team Gisele.  I mean, we'll never know the truth, and it's none of our business; however, it seemed pretty clear to me that he reneged on a deal he made with his partner to serve his own ego.

• Like 10
  • Fire 1

To the extent that we know anything, I also favor Bundchen. When they married there was no reason to think that he'd still be playing at age 45. Nearly all NFL players retire in their 20s and 30s. And I don't think it's coincidental that she especially pressed the point once their son entered his teen years.

It's different with his son with Moynahan. Jack never experienced his parents living together, and the logistics - both of his parents not being together for his entire life, and of them sometimes living in different areas - probably makes it easier for him not to hold it against his dad for not seeing him that much. And crucially, Moynahan married way back in 2008, so he's still had a male parental figure in his primary home for most of his childhood, including those important teen years. Meanwhile Brady can be the Disneyland dad who bonds with his son over them both playing football. But Brady's kids with Bundchen? They know that he chooses to spend nearly all his waking hours on football over spending time with them, and there's been no stepfather to pick up the slack. From things that have been said, it seems clear the kids feel it now that they are older, and that Bundchen is reacting partly to that.

There's been talk about Brady going to Vegas, and I can't see it for a lot of reasons. Thank goodness. If Tuck Rule Brady became the Raiders' QB, I'd probably have to take the season off from rooting for them. But I expect he'll go to a more complete team.

• Like 7

I mean, there are a ton of highly demanding jobs that take parents away from kids. Many high-powered lawyers work 60 hour weeks, I know that Apple employees right before product launch sometimes are asked to work 12 hour days. These people all have families. Or most do. 

Most major league players travel a lot. NBA players have an extremely long season, half of which is on the road. Same with baseball players.

I don't think Tom is a bad dad because he plays football. I think him and Gisele grew apart for a variety of reasons. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think him and Gisele grew apart for a variety of reasons. 

I agree.  From what I've read about other people's divorces, it's rarely as simple as being 100% the fault of one person.  Sure, it might be an 80/20%, or 50/50% fault between the two, but everybody brings issues into a marriage, so they each have to own their part of the breakdown. 

It's good to see that both of them are so devoted to their kids though.  Hopefully the kids will get through this with minimal issues.  Jack already knows what it's like to go between 2 households, so maybe he can help his siblings with any problems they might have.  

• Like 1

Meh.  It's fair game today.  We're in the immediate aftermath of a game that he played in.  It would be dumb if the media didn't overdo it today.  He's still the GOAT.

Dallas and company will get their day later in the week.  If TB12 gets discussed while other people are in contention, then that's when it's not cool

19 minutes ago, Carey said:

If TB12 gets discussed while other people are in contention, then that's when it's not cool

The media is salivating just waiting to see what his next move will be.  I hope he'll lay low until after the Super Bowl so as not to make whatever decision he plans on making the main story.  Of course, the media can't help themselves.  Even some of us Buc's fans need a break from all of the Brady hoopla!  It distracts from the rest of the team.  We want to enjoy the playoffs and snark on other teams!!  

• Like 1

Remember when Favre would "officially" return to squash whatever the NFL hot topic was in that August?  I think it happened post Green Bay for 3 years.  Maybe once or twice before A-Rod took over.  Imagine if he pulled that today...that story might get bumped to ESPN 4 to help pimp Lamar, the DAK, and Mr. TB XII

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I mean, there are a ton of highly demanding jobs that take parents away from kids. Many high-powered lawyers work 60 hour weeks, I know that Apple employees right before product launch sometimes are asked to work 12 hour days. These people all have families. Or most do. 

Most major league players travel a lot. NBA players have an extremely long season, half of which is on the road. Same with baseball players.

The burden falls on someone to take care of that family, though. And studies show it's usually the mom. 

Gisele isn't your regular wife/girlfriend of a sports star who wouldn't be able to come close to their partner's earning potential so the  career sacrifice overall is financially more beneficial for the family. It's the opposite.  They would have made more money had she kept working and he stayed at home with the kids.

It's why the argument that she married a football star and he shouldn't have to give up doing what he loves doesn't quite work for me.  It ignores the career sacrifices she made to support his career choice (for a decent QB career length) and maintain an in tact family. 

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

If we can't stop talking about him how can we expect the media to?

Or are we talking about him because the media doesn't shut up?

This off season is going to be brutal with Brady maybe retiring or maybe going somewhere else, Rodgers maybe retiring, maybe staying or maybe going somewhere else, and Lamar Jackson maybe not staying with the Ravens--although the media is far less saturated by him. 

7 minutes ago, Carey said:

Imagine if he pulled that today...

Listen.  He is doing that today.  I swear the ghost of Brett Favre is living in side Aaron Rodgers these days 13 years after Aaron swore he wouldn't go out like Brett.  And yet here we are.

• Like 2
  • Applause 6

A friend of mine said that if the Dallas kicker played for Belichik, he would have been cut at halftime.  I said if he played for Belichik, I would have assumed that missing 4 PATs was a long-range strategic move and I would expect Maher to  make a 60-yard game winning FG against the 49ers on Sunday.  

• LOL 2

Change of pace:

A friend and I texted this today, I don't get when fans of a team use we when talking about them like like they are apart of the team.  

I enjoy this thread in that it dont seem to come up:) 

Edited by BlueSkies

If someone on Planet Earth made an Academy Award stacking movie based on the life of Tom Brady, what would it be called? 

This would be released on the big screen about 23 years and 7 months from now as the legacy would be a part of US/American History

21 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

A friend and I texted this today, I don't get when fans of a team use we when talking about them like like they are apart of the team.  

We feel like we're part of the team because of all the merchandise we've bought!  We helped build the team!  We're proud to be part of the team by being fans. Any team worth their salt appreciates their fans,  and that makes us feel like a member of the team. Without fans in the stands, games aren't the same. That was evident during the lock down. 

We experience the highs and the lows, right along with the players.  As loyal fans, Mr. Chat and I say "we" as solidarity with our team.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Like 8
21 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

We feel like we're part of the team because of all the merchandise we've bought!  We helped build the team!  We're proud to be part of the team by being fans. Any team worth their salt appreciates their fans,  and that makes us feel like a member of the team. Without fans in the stands, games aren't the same. That was evident during the lock down. 

We experience the highs and the lows, right along with the players.  As loyal fans, Mr. Chat and I say "we" as solidarity with our team.  

To each their own.

But would you say that as well about seeing a band perform you like?  Like saying we played well last night when talking about them.  Concerts aren’t the same as well without fans in the stands.   

I’ve been a Giants fan longer than most of you have been alive, but I never say “we.”  I own a fading NYG SB XLVI T-shirt and a NYG lanyard that lives in my front door deadbolt, and that’s it.  I don’t own the team, work for the team, play for the team, or contribute to it in any way other than sending my fractured karma into the universe, so I don’t feel like “we” is appropriate. 

I imagine those gullible marks loyal shareholders in Green Bay who “own” the Packers but have no voting rights, no management say, no guaranteed seats, no discount on tickets, and no share in earnings, but have an expensive piece of paper to hang on their walls say “we,” though. 

As always, YMMV.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

I imagine those gullible marks loyal shareholders in Green Bay who “own” the Packers but have no voting rights, no management say, no guaranteed seats, no discount on tickets, and no share in earnings, but have an expensive piece of paper to hang on their walls say “we,” though. 

They say "we" no more than fans of other teams who subsidize the billionaire owners of their teams with their memorabilia purchases. 

Sports teams want their fans to think their cheering matters.  It's not different from when we had spirit days in elementary school.  I don't say it but I also won't pretend that teams don't encourage it.  I'm guessing having fans think "we" leads to more engagement.

2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Concerts aren’t the same as well without fans in the stands.   

Concerts also aren't competitions.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, Carey said:

If someone on Planet Earth made an Academy Award stacking movie based on the life of Tom Brady, what would it be called? 

This would be released on the big screen about 23 years and 7 months from now as the legacy would be a part of US/American History

It’s coming out soon, full of Oscar-winning talent!  And I for one cannot wait to never ever watch “80 for Brady”.

• LOL 8

It’s coming out soon, full of Oscar-winning talent!  And I for one cannot wait to never ever watch “80 for Brady”.

I'd rather have my testicles gnawed off by a dull toothed badger than have to watch even one more commercial for that film.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
8 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

How long have you been sitting on that?

I came up with that in about 2 minutes!  

8 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I’ve been a Giants fan longer than most of you have been alive, but I never say “we.”  I own a fading NYG SB XLVI T-shirt and a NYG lanyard that lives in my front door deadbolt, and that’s it.  I don’t own the team, work for the team, play for the team, or contribute to it in any way other than sending my fractured karma into the universe, so I don’t feel like “we” is appropriate. 

Respectfully, I don't put that much thought into it.  Being loyal Bucs fans since their inception, sometimes we say "the Bucs," and sometimes we say "we."  We don't seriously think that we're actually part of the team!  It's just whatever rolls off our tongue at any given moment. 

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They say "we" no more than fans of other teams who subsidize the billionaire owners of their teams with their memorabilia purchases. 

We used to buy Buc's jerseys, back in the days of Sapp, Lynch, Barber, etc.  It was fun to be able to give all of our family members a jersey to wear when we hosted our first Super Bowl party!  Nice memories.  What bugs me nowadays is how quickly teams tweak their logos and colors so that fans will buy more stuff.  We don't do that anymore.  We did pick up a foam 'Bad Call Brick' along the way, and that's still fun to throw at the TV in protest of some of those terrible calls!  

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, ChitChat said:
8 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

How long have you been sitting on that?

I came up with that in about 2 minutes!  

Not bad.  Beats my title, that's for sure.

Ah yes.  I would've just kept it simple.  I would've gone with "The Titantic" for the title.  I didn't need 2 minutes obviously.  It's not like there hasn't been a number of things reborn, reused, and redone in the show business!

• Like 1

I’m catching up on yesterday’s media chatter, so it’s their fault I didn’t have time to listen yesterday and am keeping the Brady talk going.

However, and I’m not sure why Troy Aikman is the median here, but it made me laugh.  Apparently, Brady has thrown more touchdown passes after age 40 than Aikman did his whole career.  Brady is a compiler.

• Mind Blown 1

Wow!  I totally (and randomly) thought of the same thing to start my day this morning!

Probably it was a battle to get to the number 36:  Brady and Dallas were tied at 35 in terms of playoff wins prior to Monday

• Mind Blown 1

We don't seriously think that we're actually part of the team!  It's just whatever rolls off our tongue at any given moment. 

That's where I am on the issue. My hubs says it all the time, whereby I will respond something smartassy like "when did you join the team?", but I don't find it an unusual thing, nor offensive.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2

What bugs me nowadays is how quickly teams tweak their logos and colors so that fans will buy more stuff. 

I have two Steelers jerseys.  Polamalu and Heath Miller.  I was almost certain when I bought them they would be Steelers for life.  Nowadays you can buy a jersey and that player be on a new team the next year.  

I say we when referring the Steelers.  I didn't realize other fans didn't do that. 

12 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Tom Brady.  Dak Prescott.  Lamar Jackson.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

And what is sad is only one of those QBs is playing this weekend.  I'm not hearing anything about Trevor Lawrence or Josh Allen or even Patrick Mahomes. Heard a little about Brock Purdy.  Nothing about Joe Burrows and Daniel Jones.  Don't even know if Jalen Hurts is playing.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Sports teams want their fans to think their cheering matters.  It's not different from when we had spirit days in elementary school.  I don't say it but I also won't pretend that teams don't encourage it.  I'm guessing having fans think "we" leads to more engagement.

I would guess that engaged fans were the ones who started with referring to the team as "we" all by themselves. It's a natural part of being part of a community where a smaller group of the community represents you in competition against other communities. 

Using spirit days in elementary school leads me to think about high school sports. When you're 16 years old and going to the big rivalry game (as a fan), you will probably see the game as Us versus Them. You want your school to beat their school. 

You may not be on the team, but you are a part of the school that the team represents. We are going to beat them.

You don't have to be part of a team to be part of the community. 

This is why when I'm talking to fellow Giants fans, whether in person or on a fan site, saying things like "We need to draft a WR1 next year" or "We need to give Evan Neal some help against the Eagles" makes sense. The Giants represent us, the fans, in the NFL tournament.  We are all part of the Giants.

Without us, there is no team. Therefore, we.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

Daniel Jones is shit after dark.  I am very concerned.

I'm not.  New York is undefeated against Top seeds.  Even when they reside from the American Football Conference

• Like 1