Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The Steelers have had three coaches in 53 years. His record through last year is 154-85 with 2 ties for a winning percentage of .643.   We knew this year was going to suck.  I think they can turn things around next year.

This is true.  Except for your last sentence, which may not be false either.  Next year has yet to be determined.

Right now, I don't care about Mike Tomlin's winning percentage (or the no-losing record) thing.  None of that matters in January.  The most impressive & respected results occur within the first two months of a calendar year.  The Steelers have not won a playoff game in over half a decade.  To add to that, the last time they found the endzone in a postseason victory was a home game against Miami, nearly six years ago!

Coach Mike is a defensive guy.  However, with a great defense, he allowed over 40 point in each of their last three playoff games.  That's fair game for criticism.

The Steelers have to be better, bluegirl.  You're on point that Tomlin is the a very good coach overall & has had great success.  However, their standards are Super Bowls, not 500 and/or just getting into the playoffs.  As a fan, that's disrespectful (after about a half century of loyalty).  FWIW, the organization may have entered this year as a "tanking" year and just kept quiet.  That would be understandable.  However, the frustration is that they haven't tried to avoid it.

For example, they knew Ben was old and done, and the O-Line too.  The problem there is that they went entry level there & an O-Line coach that isn't that good.  The current one is that it was obvious Kenny Pickett was better, was the guy, and not Mitch.  It's one thing if Trubisky actually beats out Kenny, but apparently they didn't even give him a chance.  Pickett was NFL ready, but the rookie thing is something that the Steelers have errored on more than necessary.

So, it's over for the Steelers in 2022.  I guess the frustration is that it could take time (without taking risks).  If that's the case, that isn't great because TJ Watt will be older, as will Minkah and Cam.  By the time the offense becomes great again, the defense goes backwards even more (basically a repeat of 2014-2017).

On another note, as mentioned, Tom & Bridget didn't marry.  However, the quiet nature of the aftermath is important because they did have a kid together.  That is a big deal, marriage or not.  I also don't think it'll be smooth sailing between Tom and Gisele if it gets to that point

54 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Tom and Bridget weren't married.  There were no assets to be divided.  When money comes into play things can get messy quickly.  

Bundchen's net worth is actually considerably more than Brady's.  There is probably a pre-nup.  I doubt it will get messy unless TB12 wants alimony.

Edited by Notabug
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Bundchen's net worth is actually considerably more than Brady's.  There is probably a pre-nup. 

Either one of them could never work another day in their lives and they'd still lead Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.  Tom earns more in a week than I did in a lifetime.  How much is enough, and how much is worth fighting over?

I never, ever pay attention to how football players look, but I can't help notice that Jimmy G is probably the best-looking player I've ever seen.  TB has always been a good-looking guy, but it's when you start down that slippery slope where you can't accept that aging can be beautiful in its own way that you risk becoming the next Meg Ryan or Nicole Kidman.  Creepy and meme-worthy.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Carey said:

FWIW, the organization may have entered this year as a "tanking" year and just kept quiet.  That would be understandable.

I thought that was going to happen but then they drafted Pickett and I thought well maybe they are going to at least try to be good.  But if they are tanking maybe we can get some good draft picks next year.  

23 minutes ago, Carey said:

For example, they knew Ben was old and done, and the O-Line too.  The problem there is that they went entry level there & an O-Line coach that isn't that good.  The current one is that it was obvious Kenny Pickett was better, was the guy, and not Mitch.  It's one thing if Trubisky actually beats out Kenny, but apparently they didn't even give him a chance.  Pickett was NFL ready, but the rookie thing is something that the Steelers have errored on more than necessary.

I agree with all of this.   We knew Ben was going to be gone at some point.  They should have planned better for that.   When they got Trubisky I thought well maybe we aren't going to draft a QB then we did draft Pickett and I assumed unless he was a bust in preseason he would be the starter.  Why Tomlin kept Pickett on the bench for 3.5 games I don't know.   Pickett can and will almost certainly get better. Trubisky almost certainly will not.  

44 minutes ago, Carey said:

If that's the case, that isn't great because TJ Watt will be older, as will Minkah and Cam.  By the time the offense becomes great again, the defense goes backwards even more (basically a repeat of 2014-2017).

Also players are going to want to play for a team that can win them a championship.  We will probably lose some starters to free agency.

1 hour ago, Carey said:

I also don't think it'll be smooth sailing between Tom and Gisele if it gets to that point

These are two highly driven successful people. Of course it's going to get messy.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Carey said:

I think they can turn things around next year.

The problem is they’re in a really tough division, and may lose half those games. That’s three losses right there.

Cinci and Baltimore have young, dynamic QBs, and Cleve has the best tandem RBs in the league, with a talented (But very young) defense.  Not to mention if DeShaun ends up playing to his previous levels.

This has just been an odd year, not only for the AFC North, but almost all teams. Who would’ve thought the Jets would come back to defeat two powerhouses, or the Eagles being undefeated, or Cooper Rush being a better QB than Dak or the Jags in first place in the NFC South?

4 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Cole is saying exactly what Brady said.  Hmm.  Is a divorce imminent?  :)   Seriously, I wonder what really happened with his short time with the Bucs.  

Well, he's a receiver; I am sure that he is at least acquainted with the passer on the team.  Sounds like their styles didn't mesh and he decided not to bother.  Nice exit line.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Sounds like their styles didn't mesh and he decided not to bother. 

It could be a lot of things: owners, coaches, players.  I'd love to know what was so bad that caused him to leave so quickly.  

• Love 1

My preteen daughters are very into sports this year (yay) and were watching the Rams game and were a little too thirsty towards Jimmy G. Yeah he’s hot, but I’m not used to them crushing on guys! They are growing up too fast (but have fantastic taste). 

• LOL 6

Brady basically chose football over a supermodel wife. 

When he has already played 20 years and won 7 superbowls, made a gazillion dollars and had a 300+ million job offer for retirement. 

I don't know whether to pity his stupidity or admire his dedication. 

What's he going to do with his Wednesdays off now?

• Love 6

I guess I'll admire his stupidity since it's still a grown man making a decision without dragging it out which is the opposite of what one would say about that career of his

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Brady basically chose football over a supermodel wife. 

That is what it looks like but there is probably more to it.  If they had an agreement that he retire and he reneged (which looks like what happened) if I'm his wife I'm thinking can I ever believe anything you say again.  Lack of trust is probably what is dooming this marriage. 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

That is what it looks like but there is probably more to it. 

What I've learned about marriage is that when problems arise, it's rarely 100% one person's fault.  They each bring their own dynamic to the marriage.  Granted, he may be 80% of the problem, but I'd bet that she's got the other 20% worth of stuff she's got to own up to.  Or it could be a 50/50% kind of thing.  We'll probably never know what went wrong.

If there's more to it, then it's Gisele being the "real villain" and not TB12.  Not sure how, except for one thing.  Bündchen and Antonio Brown hooked up at the house prior to the latter's reinstatement & during the final 2020 Tampa slide to bottom out at 7-5

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Carey said:

If there's more to it, then it's Gisele being the "real villain" and not TB12. 

Not having all of the info, I hate to paint either of them as the villain.  It's a tough situation when kids are involved.  I wish them all the best in figuring it out!  Meanwhile, TB better get his head back in the game because we can't take another game like the last one!!  He's got to rally the team after that humiliation.  

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Bündchen and Antonio Brown hooked up at the house prior to the latter's reinstatement & during the final 2020 Tampa slide to bottom out at 7-5

Fact check

The photo Antonio Brown posted of himself and Gisele Bündchen, the wife of his former quarterback and friend, Tom Brady, on Instagram is generally believed to have been photoshopped. Brown, 34, obviously edited himself to a picture of Brady and his wife embracing after TB 12 won the Super Bowl in 2020.

I wouldn't believe AB if he said the sky was blue.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Here’s my predictions and preview of Week 5

Broncos over Colts. 
Packers over Giants. 
Bills over Steelers. 
Chargers over Browns. 
Vikings over Bears. 
Lions over Patriots.  
Saints over Seahawks. 
Dolphins over Jets. 
Buccaneers over Falcons. 
Titans over Commanders. 
Jaguars over Texans. 
49ers over Panthers. 
Rams over Cowboys.  
Eagles over Cardinals.  
Bengals over Ravens.  
Chiefs over Raiders.  

Very good week of games, look forward to all of them. 

• Love 1

Looks like Denver is favored by 3.5 over Indianapolis.  That's what FanDuel has as of this post, and I believe that's been the number everywhere else.  41.5 Over/Under seems high.  I cannot see both teams getting half of that.  Well, because you can't.  Seriously, I don't think both are each getting 21.  Maybe in a rather rare case someone goes off.

Both the Colts and Broncos have been underwhelming.  I don't care if they topped Kansas City and San Francisco, respectively.  If they turn it around, that's great.  It's a tough ask on a short week; Broncos FTW, but Indy covers since the former will find a way to keep it close when it may not be necessary.  Feels like 16-14 tonight

• Love 1

I thought I would do picks. Mine are highly subjective and based on what would be best for the Vikings and teams I like. More like a wish list. (If anyone knows how to single space this list please tell me how.) Anyhow here goes: (Bold is pick for the win)

Colts vs Broncos*
Giants* vs Packers
Bears vs Vikings*
Titans*
vs Commanders
Texans* vs Jaguars
Seahawks vs Saints*
Falcons vs Buccaneers*
Dolphins vs Jets*
Steelers vs Bills*
Patriots* vs Lions
Chargers* vs Browns
49ers* vs Panthers
Eagles* vs Cardinals
Cowboys* vs Rams
Bengals
vs Ravens*
Raiders vs Chiefs*

Edited by Lamb18

After over 8 and a half years here, while my posts didn't look too bad, I was so clueless forever.  The separation between unrelated content led to way too much spacing.  Thank you!

Edited by Carey
  • Love 1

Wow this is an ugly game. The Colts offense looks like shit, their O-Line is terrible and Ryan is really struggling behind them, and the Colts have basically no weapons. The Broncos offense isn’t much better. 

• Love 5

I'm sorry, but there's no sympathy for those that "wanted" to watch the game.  This had skip all over it since the start of this week.  TBH, the next best game isn't for another 3 weeks

• Love 2

I was laughing at Amazon hyping this game as being the offensive “juggernauts” going head to head, and thinking to myself that we will be lucky to see a few touchdowns. Seems like my prediction is correct. I guess the Broncos aren’t going to compete with the Chiefs for the division as some thought they would. Wilson looks awful.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Shift+Enter rather than just Enter.

Thank you!

I'm watching the Colts/Broncos game. One of the announcers says: "Ryan's receivers have the hands of a sturgeon." (The receiver just dropped a pass.)

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

This game is a big yawn.  

It's like watching a race and everyone is running in place.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

At the end of the day, someone in the history of Planet Earth would have traded this game for 2004 Penn State against 2004 Iowa.  If they had to do it again in terms of what football to watch!

• Wink 1

These are the teams, along with Carolina, that for five years every draft day I say to myself "This is probably the year they bite the bullet and draft a QB high."

Edit: Other franchises have failed in getting a QB, some of them multiple times (Hi, Chicago! Hi, Jets!), but at least they tried.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 1

Can the Broncos get a new OC? Awful play calling. Or just fire Hackett if he took over because those decisions in the red zone were dumb. My goodness. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

That game was downright painful to watch, and neither team looked good. But Ryan played better at the end and led the Colts on two decent drives and got them the win. Wilson is not living up to expectations in Denver, and he shit the bed at the end with the pick when the Broncos should’ve won. I don’t blame Hackett whatsoever for going for the win in OT but I think I would’ve run Gordon up the middle rather than pass it.

• Like 1

Seeing clips of Richard Sherman on the post game panel reacting to Russ imploding like he did is pretty funny. Not only an unsuccessful 4th and 1 pass instead of a run, but the Broncos ran the exact same Red Zone rub play that resulted in the Malcom Butler INT in the Super Bowl. In this case the receiver was wide open after the rub but Russ didn't see him, lol.

That was not a harmonious locker room in Seattle.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Seeing clips of Richard Sherman on the post game panel reacting to Russ imploding like he did is pretty funny. Not only an unsuccessful 4th and 1 pass instead of a run, but the Broncos ran the exact same Red Zone rub play that resulted in the Malcom Butler INT in the Super Bowl. In this case the receiver was wide open after the rub but Russ didn't see him, lol.

That was not a harmonious locker room in Seattle.

I'm not sure it's exactly the same play- if I recall correctly, the Super Bowl play was right on the goal line, there was less than a minute left (with Seattle having no timeouts) and the Seahawks had to score. In this game, it was 4th and 1, the Broncos were down by only a field goal and had a lot of time left on the clock.

This was more of a case of poor execution than a bad play call (though the play call itself was not ideal). Russell Wilson should not have went for the home run via a touchdown and instead should have looked to just pick up the first down, either via a run (when's the last time we saw Wilson run?) or the quick pass to KJ Hamler, who was open but only if you threw to him right at the start.

I bet the reason Nathaniel Hackett decided to go for it this time was that he remembered all of us skewering him over not doing so in Week 1, so he didn't want to risk blowing that opportunity again. In doing so, he perhaps outsmarted himself.

Though I think the problems in Denver are greater than the coach. I don't know if Wilson has it anymore. He'll be 34 by the end of this season, so I wonder how much longer he'll be effective, if he even is now. The Broncos also clearly have no weapons on offence other than Melvin Gordon. There's only so much Hackett can do if he doesn't have anything to work with.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Even as a colts fan that was painful in every way. 

As a Buc's fan, we've had many a season feeling that pain!  We've started out the season with too many injuries, just as many other teams have.  It seems all too common these days to see a lot of teams lose key players in the first few games.  It's frustrating!  Arghh! 

17 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Seeing clips of Richard Sherman on the post game panel reacting to Russ imploding like he did is pretty funny.

By far, the best thing to come out of that game:

• LOL 1

Condolences to Mr. Jim Nantz and family on the passing of his mother (she was 91).  I believe this was about two decades removed from Jim's father.  News made by Adam Zucker on College Football Today.

• Sad 5