Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

You knew Tim Tebow was speaking about his faith too much when even Kurt Warner told him to shut up about it.

Kurt gets on my nerves because everyone on the set acts like he was the greatest QB ever.   Sure he took 2 different teams to the Super Bowl, but he sucked a lot in between those 2 appearances.    There was a reason he was bagging groceries before he got called up by the Rams.

• Love 2

I like Kurt Warner.

After hearing about player after player being arrested for abuse and God knows what else, I will take a little bit of Bible thumping and a player that is a genuine family man with no bad rap against him at all.

And he did more than just take two different teams to the SB. He took the Rams to their only SB win in history and the Cardinals on their only legitimate SB run in the SB era. Both teams before and after he was there, except this year in AZ, and it still just the regular season, have been pretty pathetic. Its two of the traditionally bad teams in the league and he came within a last minute drive by Roethlisberger of winning SBs for both of them.

I'd cheer for him over Roethlisberger any day.

The Buffalo-Miami game on Thursday should be a good one, probably the best Thursday night game all year so far. Basically the winner stays in the playoff race and the loser is likely out of it, barring some miracle.

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 2

I understand that Chicago is sucking hardcore right now, but I feel like Al and Cris are being unseemingly in their comments about how pathetic the Bears are. I mean, Al asked if they were going to flex the game after halftime, and I feel like as a play by play guy it's not his place to say things like that.

I don't know, maybe I just feel sorry for Chicago. But Al and Cris aren't being very professional.

What really bugged me was Cris rather flippantly saying that Brandon Marshall "went crazy" in the locker room a few weeks ago.  First, we're talking about a guy with an acknowledged mental illness, maybe we can stay away from that term?  Second, he's a team leader who is frustrated by the complete lack of effort from the team (the whole team, good Lord, if I see one more tweet or column acting like Cutler is the biggest and most glaring issue this team has...) and he got a little loud in the locker room.  No shit.  That happens.  I'd be far more disturbed if there wasn't anyone on this team getting pissed and telling the whole team that "we need to be better."  

• Love 3

You knew Tim Tebow was speaking about his faith too much when even Kurt Warner told him to shut up about it.

Kurt gets on my nerves because everyone on the set acts like he was the greatest QB ever.   Sure he took 2 different teams to the Super Bowl, but he sucked a lot in between those 2 appearances.    There was a reason he was bagging groceries before he got called up by the Rams.

I hear ya. But to be fair, Kurt is put in that position. Especially on NFL Radio, he's given questions like, "What's wrong with the Bears?" "Why isn't Seattle's defense dominant anymore?" "What do you think is being said in that NY Jets' locker room?," as if he's the Dali Lama of the NFL.

I like that Kurt had the courage to say he doesn't know if he'd want his sons to play football. Of course he had to backtrack that statement in order to keep his job... But I think most people appreciate his initial opinion. Football is a brutal game that damages the bodies and minds of its players, and the money isn't guaranteed.

Speaking of which, has Orlando Brown ever received any compensation for being practically blinded by a referee's penalty flag? He deserves something, especially since he was then cut by the Browns for his inability to perform.

According to Wikipedia, Orlando Brown received something between $15 and $25 million dollars.  But he died in 2011 from diabetic ketoacidosis.

What? How sad. All of that money and all of those resources, and he couldn't control his diabetes? Or was it newly diagnosed? I'll look it up.

ETA: according to reports from a medical examiner, family members, and friends, he'd never been diagnosed with diabetes. That doesn't mean he never had symptoms, but he never underwent a medical workup which would have detected it. Which is even more sad.

Edited by topanga

That's sad. In Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL, John Feinstein's book about the time he spent with the Ravens organisation in 2004, Orlando Brown featured quite heavily, and came across as a big, sympathetic lug of a guy. He had a lot of issues with his temper, though, and Feinstein recounted one instance where he went absolutely crazy at someone who came close to poking him in the eye on the field, which was understandable given what had happened in the past. And he did play for two seasons for the Ravens after the Browns cut him (and after he spent some time out of the game).

That is a really good book, by the way, whether you're a Ravens fan or not. It gives so much insight into the culture of an NFL locker room, and the various personalities in it, from Ozzie Newsome and Brian Billick, to Ray Lewis and Deion Sanders.

• Love 1

One of the production trucks for tomorrow's Bills-Dolphins game was stolen, don't know if it will affect the broadcast.

I thought it was Rich Eisen's truck that was stolen (for the postgame? for his DirecTV show???). I didn't know it would be used for the actual game.

I thought it was Rich Eisen's truck that was stolen (for the postgame? for his DirecTV show???). I didn't know it would be used for the actual game.

I didn't know that. I live in South FL and it was news alert. Thanks for clarifying.

I second the recommendation for Next Man Up.   GREAT behind the scenes look.    I remember the parts about Orlando Brown.   His father, I believe, had gone blind and that was why he was freaked about the flag incident.   Don't blame his actually.   There is also a lot in there about the Ray Lewis mess.

Another great book on football is War Room.   Mostly about Belichek but covers Pioli and Dimitroff too.

• Love 2

I have the book Next Man Up and have never had the chance to read it. Not enough spare time.

Plus it being abou the Ravens, a team I don't like, doesn't help. I have heard its a great book though.

I Heard them downplaying the Miami/Buffalo game on ESPN tonite, saying back in the 90s this would have been a great game but now not so much. Which is too bad because these are two solid teams, but there just is not a lot of star power on either one. THe QBs are decent but not great. Both teams defensive heavy. This is a game where the more hard core football fans will probably for once get an enjoyable game start to finish, but the mainstream and more casual fans won't care and may not watch, so ratings likely won't be great.

Edited by DrSpaceman

The Bills offense is just worse than Miami. That poor Bills defense does pretty well but their offense is pathetic, gave up 6 points through three quarters and not much more to the Chiefs last year. Orton wasn't the key I guess- maybe EJ would have just done as bad. It was sad to watch. Another year with the bills starting off with promise but fading in the home stretch. Maybe they should give Matt Leinart a call...

Edited by twoods

Both teams were moving the ball well, they just weren't finishing drives for TDs in the first half.  It wasnt a bunch of 3 and outs, in fact just the opposite.  Both teams have long time consuming drives and the first half went by very quickly. 

And Kyle Orton has been superior to EJ Manuel and has done decent.  A QB rating over 90, 64% completions, 10 TDs, 3 INTs,

If SF lets Jim Harbaugh go, they will firmly establish themselves as the second most dysfunctional front office in the league....behind Oaklands.

3 Conference Championship games and a Super Bowl with basically the same team/players he inherited from Mike Singletary. Remember those days? Love him, hate him, whatever, he wins (more often than not, anyway). If it comes down to a choice between protecting bruised egos and winning, I'll take winning everyday of the week. 

On the other side of the bridge, the problems with the Raiders run much deeper than anything any coach could begin to fix. There's a malignancy in that franchise that starts at the top. Mediocrity has sadly become not only acceptable for this once proud franchise, at this point, it's become a goal. In that present culture, an 8-8 season would be justification for popping champagne corks. 

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 3

It was actually two weeks and I still remember everyone up in arms on the "demise" of Tom Brady, yet somehow I knew that they would still turn it around and win their division yet again like they always do. I just wish I wasn't right. Now who knows if they will lose the rest of the season with how they are playing.

• Love 1

As a Patriots fan scared about their game with the Packers. Will the media be as tough on Peyton Manning after his game against the Rams as they were when Tom Brady had a bad game against the Chiefs? Somehow I doubt it.

As a Patriots fan scared about their game with the Packers. Will the media be as tough on Peyton Manning after his game against the Rams as they were when Tom Brady had a bad game against the Chiefs? Somehow I doubt it.

This will give the media pundits more of a basis in which to annoint Brady as "the one". Even with a few key players going down, Peyton and co. still should have been able to overcome the 3-6 Rams in a domed stadium; which means elements were not a factor. Peyton is all about precision and timed routes, but the Rams defense will probably not get credit for disrupting that. Plus if I'm not mistaken, I don't think Denver has ever won in St. Louis. Someone better at stats could correct me if I'm wrong. 

How on earth were the Colts able to go 6-3 prior to last night's game with no discernable semblance of a defense?  At some points it didn't even look like they were trying. Maybe this will cool off the Canton talk when it comes to Luck. 

The Patriots are the most consistent and reliable team in the NFL right now. Damn, it pains me to say that.

The Cardinals have the best record right now, and deservedly so, but they still have mistakes to correct.  But they very well could be the first team to play in the Super Bowl in their own stadium.

This will give the media pundits more of a basis in which to annoint Brady as "the one". Even with a few key players going down, Peyton and co. still should have been able to overcome the 3-6 Rams in a domed stadium; which means elements were not a factor. Peyton is all about precision and timed routes, but the Rams defense will probably not get credit for disrupting that. Plus if I'm not mistaken, I don't think Denver has ever won in St. Louis. Someone better at stats could correct me if I'm wrong. 

How on earth were the Colts able to go 6-3 prior to last night's game with no discernable semblance of a defense?  At some points it didn't even look like they were trying. Maybe this will cool off the Canton talk when it comes to Luck.

Luck didn't play great but that loss had little to do with him. The Colts couldn't stop a practice squad running back promoted to starter, just ran all over them. The run D has not been that bad all year. It has not been great, but it has not been close to that bad this season as what happened in last night's game.

Brady didn't play great either. His two INTs were bad throws and decisions. This was game won/lost at the line of scrimmage and via the run game.

And you can criticize the Colts for a weak division but their schedule the first 10 games has been anything but weak. four games against current division leaders and 7 of 10 games vs. teams currently with a .500 record or better.

• Love 1
Thank you for not gushing over Andrew Luck. I think he's underachieved based on the hype he has received.

Luck is breaking records left and right.  As Dr Spaceman said, the loss was not his doing, it came down to who could run the ball.  I do agree the team as a whole is only doing as well as they are because of their fairly weak schedule.  Against a poor team or one with missing personnel the Colts D can be great, but against an elite team?  No.

I was at the game and the only redeeming moment was Anthony Castonzo's TD dance.

Edited by Haleth
Luck didn't play great but that loss had little to do with him. The Colts couldn't stop a practice squad running back promoted to starter, just ran all over them. The run D has not been that bad all year. It has not been great, but it has not been close to that bad this season as what happened in last night's game.

I've only seen two Colts game this season, the one against NE and week one game against Denver. Two high scoring games for their opponents which generally means lack of a solid defense. That was the basis of my opinion.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/angry-steelers-player-left-field-171710151.html

Steelers Player Gets Cut After Leaving The Field, Trying To Get On The Bus Before Game Was Over

Pittsburgh Steelers player LeGarrette Blount left the field and attempted to exit the stadium before Monday night's game, a 27-24 win against the Tennessee Titans, was over, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

He was released on Tuesday, the team announced. Blount, a running back who signed a two-year, $3.9 million contract last spring, has seen his role in the offense steadily diminish in recent weeks. On Monday night he didn't get a single carry, which reportedly led to his walk-off.

Heh. AFC North running backs are not having a great year. First Rice, then Tate gets cut for being a dick to his teammates, now Blount gets cut for the same. Well, those AFC North running backs aren't having good years, but Justin Forsett, Le'Veon Bell, Jeremy Hill and Isiah Crowell are all having pretty bloody good years.

Can't wait to see if the Steelers pick up Tate, and then act all surprised when he's a dick to Bell, just like he was to West and Crowell. Don't care what happens to Blount, he's a dirtbag anyway.

I've only seen two Colts game this season, the one against NE and week one game against Denver. Two high scoring games for their opponents which generally means lack of a solid defense. That was the basis of my opinion.

How many teams have been able to stop Denver and NE this year? Takes a great D to do it.

Colts don't have a great D. They lack a pash rush from the front line and have to get by sending LBers. Good QBs can take advantage of that by finding open men from the extra guys sent rushing

However the D has been good at times. Vontae Davis is having a pro bowl year at corner. And the run D has not been as bad as it was against NE.

The D has been up and down this season, good some games and bad other ones. Not unlike just about every other team in the league in many aspects.

• Love 1

I feel like if Goodell had come out and said "we talked to AP and we decided that the nine games he's served will be his punishment" all the media assholes who are saying the current punishment is too harsh and Goodell is a fool and nothing he will ever say from now on will please them would then say that Goodell hates children and AP should be gone forever. And I'm looking at Michael Wilbon first.

• Love 1

I am really not too upset over a child abuser missing a season of football.

And you are right, Goodell can't win. When you came out strong and punished the bountygate people, everyone whined he was going overboard with not enough evidence. Give me a break, all those Saints players were lying. they did it, they know they did it, just lied to cover it up

He made a mistake with Ray Rice, a light first punishment and now that one is a mess, who knows what he did or didn't know but should have been harsher from the beginning. thats the one he really messed up just by being caught either not knowing how serious it was or giving a first light punishment and then rescinding it. He screwed that one up

This one though, I am not getting on Goodell for it. And I am not a big fan of his lately, but not losing any sleep over Peterson's punishment. I heard Peterson's lawyer on ESPN this morning, just a pathetic whinefest about basically poor adrian peterson was already punished by losing endorsement deals, tried to claim Peterson WAS NOT convicted of child abuse and the punishment is too harsh, continuously brought up how he was paying too big a price for what he did. He beat a four year old kid and he was being paid despite not playing up to now. Just complete BS about poor adrian and his woes and it being too harsh. I don't have any sympathy for a multimillionaire missing out on some more money so he is a little less rich for this year and not being able to play a game. His lawyer made Peterson out to be some sort of victim. its a disgrace, the victim is the child. Plus he said Peterson knows what he did was wrong.......really, because I have never heard him say that. In fact just the opposite, it seemed to be Peterson was completely oblivious to how wrong he was in his punishment of a small child. Just disgraceful

What should happen though is they should set up a committee of say two league reps and two NFL player reps to decide these cases rather than Goodell doing all this himself. I doubt he would even object to that, I can't imagine him being thrilled about having to decide how to punish these whiny juveline men that never grew up over an over again while the NFLPA defends them at every move. I know legally that is the JOB of the NFLPA, but at some point what is legal and what is morally right diverge. It did so long ago in these cases.