Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Rams?!? How do Cleveland fans feel after trading out of that spot, because they were set at QB?!?

Yeah, but at least they got some picks out of the deal. And Deshaun Watson will be there for them when they draft first next year.

The Rams traded up, gave away next year's 1st and 3rd rounders, and passed on Wentz. So they could go with a guy who isn't good enough to be Case Keenum's backup, apparently.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

I wonder what Rams fans thought of the Carson Wentz show yesterday?

I wonder what Jeff Fisher thought of it. He may think Jeff Goff is not yet ready to start at QB in the NFL, but it doesn't look like Case Keenum is either.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I wonder what Jeff Fisher thought of it. He may think Jeff Goff is not yet ready to start at QB in the NFL, but it doesn't look like Case Keenum is either.

Well, when the Rams play the Eagles, the Eagles can send out Wentz for the coin toss.

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Same thing as Browns fans I'd gather.  They gave up a chance to get Wentz to get more draft picks.  Wentz ducked a bullet with that one as Cleveland is the place quarterback careers go to die.

No doubt the owner of the Rams will reward Jeff Fisher with another three-year contract extension after last year's debacle. 

• Love 1

I don't think Jeff Fisher has to worry about going 7-9 this season. I see a 3-13 record looming on the horizon.

Chris Berman is totally the worst, but I don't think it has anything to do with his weight. Light as a feather or heavy as a truck, he'd still be inflicting that mumblegrowl on us, not to mention his cheap attempts at wordplay and nicknames. Everytime he launches into his Geeeeeee Men shout when discussing the Giants, an angel gets a wedgie. I've nicknamed the mute button on my remote the Berman Button. 

Now, Stephen A. Smith can be annoying, but I think he's right about the Cowboys being an accident waiting to happen. My parents are diehard Cowboys fans (dad was stationed in Texas before I was born), and my father truly believes they'll never win another Superbowl with Jerry Jones in charge. I don't know if that's true, but they've given me years of material to tease my parents with. 

• Love 2

NinjaPenguins, your father is a true prophet.   Now, I want to believe Dak Prescott will lead us to the promised land,   But then I remember the GM is a guy who physically had to be wrestled down to keep from picking Johnny Manziel (who might not have been such a complete mess in Dallas but still a mess).   

But remember, folks, you could live in LA where a team was forced upon them this year.   There was no big uprising of the masses for a return, this was all rich guys wanting to get richer who wanted a team there.   So now you have the LA Rams who still have scored a point since 1994 (Trademark some guy on Twitter).

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, benteen said:

Yeah, it was always the NFL that wanted football in LA and not the fanbase.  That's always what I gathered.  LA is more of a basketball and occasionally college football town.

Wait! What? The NFL has dragged its heels on getting a team back to L.A. for two decades, with teams using the second largest city in the U.S. to force their local taxpayers to pony up for new stadiums.

People in SoCal were so hungry for NFL football that 90,000 attended a preseason game.

Sunday's game is sold out, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are performing pregame.

The Rams have sold out on season tickets.

As for L.A. being an occasional college football town, click here to see how packed the Rose Bowl was this past weekend at kickoff for the UCLA home opener.

62,487 attended the USC home opener at the Coliseum, which will be filled with 90,000 fans for the Rams home opener on Sunday.

merylinkid says, "There was no big uprising of the masses for a return."

But you have to understand that there was no appetite for taxpayers to pay for a stadium, as other cities have been forced to do.

So you have Stan Kroenke, who's willing to pay for everything, including a brand-new stadium. Just today, it was announced that he's footing the bill for LAPD security at all Rams games.

There are 20 million people in the Los Angeles region. Of course, there's going to be a lot of people clamoring for football.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 3

LA wants football- I can feel the excitement and I'm in Orange County. Hope I can get tickets to see the Bills play in a few weeks. Should be a boring ass game with two anemic offenses but still excited. Bring it on!

• Love 1

Monday Night Football is not the same without Mike Tirico. Since I always fall asleep during MNF (I'm on the East Coast), his soothing voice would lull me to sleep while I pretended to listen to the ongoing commentary. 

And now the NFL has said that he can't call Thursday Night games either.  It amazes me that the NFL, not the actual TV station showing the game, has the power to determine which journalists do NFL broadcasts. 

25 minutes ago, twoods said:

I must have missed something- did he do something to get pushed to obscurity? I know some don't like him, but I always have.

There was a sexual harassment allegation against him--apparently it was in the form of an email. I believe ESPN settled out of court. 

From what I've read, his decreased role in football is a timing issue. Al Michaels is getting up there in years, so when Turico's contract expired NBC signed him to eventually be Michaels' successor. Part of that plan was to give each of them one of the night games, but the NFL nixed that for some reason. I don't think it had anything to do with previous incidents because Turico has been doing NFL games for years after the allegations arose and NBC was comfortable enough with him to give him lots of airtime during the Olympics. 

50 minutes ago, xaxat said:

From what I've read, his decreased role in football is a timing issue. Al Michaels is getting up there in years, so when Turico's contract expired NBC signed him to eventually be Michaels' successor. Part of that plan was to give each of them one of the night games, but the NFL nixed that for some reason. I don't think it had anything to do with previous incidents because Turico has been doing NFL games for years after the allegations arose and NBC was comfortable enough with him to give him lots of airtime during the Olympics. 

Does that happen in other sports? i.e. can MLB tell ESPN, Fox, and CBS (?) which announcers can broadcast baseball games?

4 minutes ago, topanga said:

Does that happen in other sports? i.e. can MLB tell ESPN, Fox, and CBS (?) which announcers can broadcast baseball games?

I would imagine so.  If a network wanted an announcer they just didn't like for some reason, I'd think the league would insist on a change.

I know the Masters golf tournament takes this to an extreme, choosing announcers and insisting on specific wording on a lot of terms. They're a special case, though.

• Love 1

The networks do what the NFL wants because they don't want to lose out the next time the tv contracts come up for renewal.

Tirico will be calling some of the Thursday night games.   Al and Chris had scheduling conflicts so he gets make the calls.   Al and Chris may have more "scheduling" conflicts due to not wanting to do all the prep work and travel to call two games a week.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I think the NFL feels that having anybody other that Al Michaels do the game for NBC devalues* the Thursday night game, even though Tirico has helmed MNF for 10 years.

They want each network's No. 1 team out there.

(*Yes, Thursday night games are already devalued by terrible matchups and three days to prepare.)

• Love 2

Hey Football Jesus,

You pulled that  "Just a bit outside" on me for a couple of games - and this was only the first week...

Please take the blindness from my eyes and guide my hand to pick only the winners.

Jesus, I love a close game, but am very fond of my testes - the punches to my junk aren't fun.

Please let the new Liquor Barn next to the Academy sports store carry the sake that I like and

keep me from wanting to scream, "You mother ------" when I see a good play - my wife laughs at me when that happens.

Please keep the players safe, give the Boomer season ending laryngitis and make Nick Nolte a saint.

Amen.

One thing that bugs me about all football announcers.......when they say a team "......has a chance at a Field goal attempt".  Its redundant to say you have a CHANCE at an ATTEMPT.  You have a CHANCE for a FG via ATTEMPTING the FG.  I suppose you can argue specifics, you could botch the snap and is that technically an attempt if he doesn't actually kick it?  Or does he actually have to kick it for it to be considered an attempt?  However, 99% percent of the time, that doesn't apply, and if you just say they ".....have a chance for a FG", its gets the message across.  Just a pet peeve of mine. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

One thing that bugs me about all football announcers.......when they say a team "......has a chance at a Field goal attempt".  Its redundant to say you have a CHANCE at an ATTEMPT.  You have a CHANCE for a FG via ATTEMPTING the FG.  I suppose you can argue specifics, you could botch the snap and is that technically an attempt if he doesn't actually kick it?  Or does he actually have to kick it for it to be considered an attempt?  However, 99% percent of the time, that doesn't apply, and if you just say they ".....have a chance for a FG", its gets the message across.  Just a pet peeve of mine. 

You are completely right, this bugs me as well, they do it all the time!

The field goal attempt is only the act of kicking a field goal. If you're lined up in the field goal formation, it's the chance to have that attempt. The field goal attempt failed in the Pats game because the kick missed. It wouldn't have been an attempt if they fumbled the snap or it went too high or if they faked it. The kicker shouldn't get knocked in the stat if he doesn't actually kick it. 

21 hours ago, nowandlater said:

Wait! What? The NFL has dragged its heels on getting a team back to L.A. for two decades, with teams using the second largest city in the U.S. to force their local taxpayers to pony up for new stadiums.

People in SoCal were so hungry for NFL football that 90,000 attended a preseason game.

Sunday's game is sold out, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are performing pregame.

The Rams have sold out on season tickets.

As for L.A. being an occasional college football town, click here to see how packed the Rose Bowl was this past weekend at kickoff for the UCLA home opener.

62,487 attended the USC home opener at the Coliseum, which will be filled with 90,000 fans for the Rams home opener on Sunday.

merylinkid says, "There was no big uprising of the masses for a return."

But you have to understand that there was no appetite for taxpayers to pay for a stadium, as other cities have been forced to do.

So you have Stan Kroenke, who's willing to pay for everything, including a brand-new stadium. Just today, it was announced that he's footing the bill for LAPD security at all Rams games.

There are 20 million people in the Los Angeles region. Of course, there's going to be a lot of people clamoring for football.

By the end of the season the Rams will be lucky to have 40-45k people in the stands.

The only reason that there are going to be 90k folks at the game is that they want to say that 'they were there when the Rams came back'. People will show up late and leave early - that is the typical sports fan for the city. (The traffic sucks ass at all of the arenas/stadiums in so cal people don't want to get stuck in it.)

Watch the coverage and they will zoom in on every celeb in the stands - then look for them at the end of the season?

USC and UCLA have a better fan base - college games do well in El Lay - but the Rams are going to get hammered if they do not win.

• Love 1

LA is more of a basketball and occasionally college football town.

Well, we kind of had to be, didn't we -- NFL football wasn't an option for a long time.  Basketball (well, Lakers basketball, anyway) was popular enough on its own, but becoming a college football town to the extent LA did came about because of the NFL vacuum.  It's never been a sports town, period, in the way of Chicago or other cities with which I'm less familiar, but pro football had a large fan base here in the past and will again.  This Rams team is making it difficult to jump/stay on that particular bandwagon, and, yeah, there's a lot else going on here to choose from on Sundays if their games continue to suck.  But there will be plenty of fans.  The novelty/nostalgia (depending on whether you were alive and old enough to attend the last time it was an option) will ebb with a bad season, but as things work themselves out, a fan base will be sustained.  We didn't want to pay for a new stadium, and we didn't want it in a location that made it more trouble than it was worth to get off the couch, but we wanted a team.

• Love 2
On September 13, 2016 at 6:10 AM, Popples said:

I only saw the first half of Rams/49ers, but this was the best thing that happened :

"The guy is drunk, but there he goes!" Hysterical.

Kevin Harlan was the Chiefs' radio play-by-play guy in the 90s (alongside Len Dawson; as fabulous as it sounds).  His signature line ("Oh BABY! what a play!") appeared on preprinted signs waved by fans at Arrowhead.  And God! I adored him.  

Wrote him a thank-you letter when he left KC for Fox ("The next sound you hear will be the splash of hundreds of earphones, flung into the Missouri [River]..."), and he wrote me a thank-you for my thank-you.

*sigh*

*wipes tear away*

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 4

The NFL business model is increasingly based on things like stadium naming rights, luxury box leases and national TV contracts. Kroenke will have plenty of all that. A full stadium would be nice, but isn't necessary.

13 hours ago, ganesh said:

The field goal attempt is only the act of kicking a field goal. If you're lined up in the field goal formation, it's the chance to have that attempt. The field goal attempt failed in the Pats game because the kick missed. It wouldn't have been an attempt if they fumbled the snap or it went too high or if they faked it. The kicker shouldn't get knocked in the stat if he doesn't actually kick it. 

They were still ATTEMPTING a FG whether he kicked it or not, in my opinion, but you can argue that point.  However, as I mentioned, its rare for a botched snap and no kick at all to happen as a result.  And I think most any football fan, if you just say a team "has a chance for a FG," knows what it means and is aware the snap can be botched and negate the chance.  Its implied by the phrase and basic knowledge of the game. 

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Well, we kind of had to be, didn't we -- NFL football wasn't an option for a long time.  Basketball (well, Lakers basketball, anyway) was popular enough on its own, but becoming a college football town to the extent LA did came about because of the NFL vacuum.  It's never been a sports town, period, in the way of Chicago or other cities with which I'm less familiar, but pro football had a large fan base here in the past and will again.  This Rams team is making it difficult to jump/stay on that particular bandwagon, and, yeah, there's a lot else going on here to choose from on Sundays if their games continue to suck.  But there will be plenty of fans.  The novelty/nostalgia (depending on whether you were alive and old enough to attend the last time it was an option) will ebb with a bad season, but as things work themselves out, a fan base will be sustained.  We didn't want to pay for a new stadium, and we didn't want it in a location that made it more trouble than it was worth to get off the couch, but we wanted a team.

I remember reading years ago (so it could be vastly different now) that the only LA team that held its popularity even when it wasn't doing well was the Dodgers (this was back when one study that ranked the franchises on profitability called LAD "a license to print money"); everyone else in LA, including the Lakers, were only popular when they were doing well.  I don't know if that also applied to the Anaheim teams.  (Weren't the Rams in Anaheim for a while before they left?)

As a long time El Lay resident the problem with a weekend late in the year is the options for a sports fan.

(I once went to two Dodger games and Kansas concert in 28 hours.)

You have the a smorgasbord laid out for you.

Lakers, Clippers, Kings, USC, UCLA football, the Dodgers - Drive down the GS Freeway and you have Ducks, Angels. Do you want 'futbol'?

The LA Galaxy are down the street at the 'stubhub center'

There is the Coliseum, Rose Bowl, Staples, The Forum, Anaheim Stadium and the Honda center. Then, to distract a guy there are about 40 great concert venues and there is always SOMEONE playing that you want to see.

There is a die hard fan base for all the sports and the fucking band wagon fans that show up during the playoffs and championship series - and you have the transplants from other cities who come in with their own brand of 'fandom'.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

That's what I will be interested to see and hear.  When the Rams are 0-8 are there going to be more jerseys from the other team?  Will it sound like the opponents home game?

Probably, just like it is at a Chargers game. The transplant residents are probably thrilled they can watch their team play so close to home instead of traveling to San Diego or SF. I see a lot of Seahawks crap around here. It would be fun watching the Cardinals too.

Is it too early in the season to fire the Bills offensive coordinator? I'm too disgusted to watch this crap.

Edited by twoods
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

That's what I will be interested to see and hear.  When the Rams are 0-8 are there going to be more jerseys from the other team?  Will it sound like the opponents home game?

Hey, the Tampa Bay Lightning have turned that into a successful business model!  Hasn't worked so well in Phoenix, though....

As I write this there are about 3 minutes left in the Thursday night game and the Bills (down by 13) are doing the slowest 2-minute drill I've ever seen.

List of Coaches I am amazed still have jobs:

1.  Jeff Fischer, the man's lifetime record is barely over .500.   The Rams kept him because he had experience with transitions.   Oh good grief.

2.  Rex Ryan

3.   Rob Ryan -- yeah he's only a defensive coach but he still sucks even at that.

I am not including Chip Kelly on this list becuase he's only on his 2nd NFL job.   He's not in the "hire him immediately despite past history" category yet.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, twoods said:

Is it too early in the season to fire the Bills offensive coordinator? I'm too disgusted to watch this crap.

It looks like it isn't for the Bills, because it's being reported by ESPN that they just fired him.  I wonder what else might end up happening with the Bills. I think that Rex needs to be careful because he might end up on the hot seat next. I like Rex and would like to see him have more success, but if the Bills continue to struggle I think he might be shown the door. 

Edited by Jx223

Yep.  The Bills fired Greg Roman...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000703603/article/bills-fire-offensive-coordinator-greg-roman

That's a rough one for Roman.  He was a hot coordinator for a while, having worked under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford where he helped develop Andrew Luck.  He then followed Harbaugh to the 49ers as their OC.  I know he was considered the runner-up for the Penn State head coaching job the last two times it was open.  He'll likely bounce back somewhere, maybe back in college.

Like another former Jets head coach Eric Mangini, Rex really needed to take at least a year off after his firing to assess what he did wrong and start learning more about running an offense.  Like Mangini, he immediately jumped back into the mix with a bad team (with Mangini, it was the Browns) and he's almost definitely going to be out of a job again after this season, with the likelihood of never being an NFL head coach again.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

He only got fired because they weren't going to fire the DC.   You can't score if your offense is never on the field.   The Jets had the ball 40 minutes and the Bills had it 20.   So whose fault was it they lost?

Agreed.  The Bills defense was ranked 4th in the league the year before Rex came.  Rex came vowing to "improve it" and only screwed it up.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, benteen said:

Agreed.  The Bills defense was ranked 4th in the league the year before Rex came.  Rex came vowing to "improve it" and only screwed it up.

I agree with that too- their defense is terrible too but their offense should be decent with the talent they have. Slow ass two minute drill, not making one damn yard on two downs, etc. Terrible play calling. I'm sure Rex is canned by the end of the season.

Rivera is whining about the Panthers schedule- don't know what I think about that. Everyone gets crappy schedules with the Thursday night games, and then the Saturday games late in the season. Cross country flights comes with the territory too. Guess he's still pissy about losing to Denver again.

Edited by twoods

I caught a few seconds of Rex's press conference today.

Humble Rex is no fun! Bring back "We've going to win the Super Bowl!" Rex.

Rachel Nichols and Bomani Jones brought up two things I hadn't thought of. Rachel pointed out that Roman was the most likely candidate to replace Rex should management decide to fire him mid-season. So he made that a little less likely. And Bomani noted that Rob has the meaningless title of Assistant to the Head Coach, meaning there's technically nothing he is responsible for that would lead people to clamor for his firing. Dude knows how to play the game.

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Jeff Fischer, the man's lifetime record is barely over .500.   The Rams kept him because he had experience with transitions.   Oh good grief.

The cynic in me thinks that Fisher would like to use a redshirt year for Goff to kick the can down the road on any decision about him. "Sure we were terrible, but. . ."

There's a rumor that he might be getting an extension soon.

Yay! The Cam Newton Triple Zero commercials are back again. 

20 hours ago, merylinkid said:

List of Coaches I am amazed still have jobs:

1.  Jeff Fischer, the man's lifetime record is barely over .500.   The Rams kept him because he had experience with transitions.   Oh good grief.

2.  Rex Ryan

3.   Rob Ryan -- yeah he's only a defensive coach but he still sucks even at that.

I am not including Chip Kelly on this list becuase he's only on his 2nd NFL job.   He's not in the "hire him immediately despite past history" category yet.

I'm just surprised that Chip Kelly got a head coaching job so soon after critics said he failed at making the transition from college football to the NFL. 

Well the 49ers haven't really been making sound decisions for the future of the team the last few years.  Letting Harbaugh leave or forcing him out or whatever happened was just stupid.  So hiring Chip Kelly doesn't surprise me by the 49ers. 

I don't think Jeff Fischer is a bad coach.  He is not a great coach either, but he is not a bad coach.  this is just a bad team and he has been in a bad situation in his coaching gigs.  For years he was in Tennessee in the same division as manning.  Then he switches jobs and he is in the same division as the Seahawks and Wilson.  It makes it tough, although Arizona and Arians have still managed to be successful in the same situation in that division.  When he was in Tennessee and they had McNair they battled the COlts well for many years.  They even beat them out for a division title on year.  Since 2002 I believe he is the only coach that has managed to beat a Brady or Manning QBed team for a division title in a year they played the whole season. 

But this team is just bad

• Love 4

I agree about Fisher.

Probably, just like it is at a Chargers game. The transplant residents are probably thrilled they can watch their team play so close to home instead of traveling to San Diego or SF. I see a lot of Seahawks crap around here. It would be fun watching the Cardinals too.

I also agree with this.  I would like the Rams to be successful, so there's not just a team in town, but a good team in town, but it's going to take me a while before I'm truly rooting for them like a fan.  And I'll never root for them against the Giants or Raiders (or the Seahawks so long as Pete Carroll is coaching).  But it's exciting to be able to go to an NFL game without traveling.  (And it's easy for me to get to the Coliseum, so I'm more into this interim period than the new stadium era.)  How long before I'm actually going to see the Rams rather than going to games where I like the opponent?  We'll see. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I agree about Fisher.

I also agree with this.  I would like the Rams to be successful, so there's not just a team in town, but a good team in town, but it's going to take me a while before I'm truly rooting for them like a fan.  And I'll never root for them against the Giants or Raiders (or the Seahawks so long as Pete Carroll is coaching).  But it's exciting to be able to go to an NFL game without traveling.  (And it's easy for me to get to the Coliseum, so I'm more into this interim period than the new stadium era.)  How long before I'm actually going to see the Rams rather than going to games where I like the opponent?  We'll see. 

Buena Suerte.

The parking for a 90k game is miserable. I have been to a ton of events there and some advice -

Don't drink so much you have to pee.

Don't get seats far from the aisle.

Sunscreen.

Be prepared to watch some great MMA action in the stands.

• Love 1

I'm very familiar with the Coliseum (and don't have to park).  So no luck needed, but, yeah, I have good bladder control. 

There are more tickets available for tomorrow's game against the Seahawks than I would have expected (expected because of Seahawks fans rather than Rams fans, mind you), but I can't go, which ticks me off.  The only Rams game I know for sure I'll be attending this season is against the Panthers. 

Speaking of having to pee...... 

Last season I'm caught a Jacksonville (?) game on tv and noticed they had a friggin "pool" in the stands! Really it looked like a small holding tank that was probably filled with urine as everyone in it was holding beers and having a grand old time. Gross! 

When your team sucks I guess that's a small perk to be a stadium filler.