Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

ugly.png

Damn. Is that really a panel in the GA comics? I don't mean to be rude to the artist--comics Oliver looks like an old skeezeball with a receding hairline so, at least, that's on brand--but why does BC look like a gargoyle/banshee hybrid? She looks super weird and scary here.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

This is the cover for that issue, fyi:
AUJWge72.thumb.jpg.c6e769c52e0b083a7cccf3c635ede6ca.jpg

And yes, that forum that hates the show was ecstatic over this.

I know BC is super strong and I don't doubt that she can lift Oliver but I have questions about her, seemingly, disproportionately long-ass arms. My brain is trying to figure out how it seems like it's ONLY her forearms that are fully supporting the entire width of a grown man. Like, how long are her forearms??! Also, why is his bow slung over BC that way? Wouldn't it make more sense to hang the string in between her cleavage to avoid chafing the side of her boob? Carrying a bow in that way looks super uncomfortable.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, SleepDeprived said:

I know BC is super strong and I don't doubt that she can lift Oliver but I have questions about her, seemingly, disproportionately long-ass arms. 

Do you mean Super Strength because she doesn't have that, unless they changed her character in Rebirth. She's just supposed to have normally strength levels

23 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Do you mean Super Strength because she doesn't have that, unless they changed her character in Rebirth. She's just supposed to have normally strength levels

Oh, she only has normal strength levels? I might be compounding her fighting skills with super strength then. My mistake. So, how is she able to carry him like that? Artistic license? Would've been nice if the artist thought a little bit about how human arms and equilibrioception actually work. Heh.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, tv echo said:

3 hours ago, SleepDeprived said:

Damn. Is that really a panel in the GA comics? I don't mean to be rude to the artist--comics Oliver looks like an old skeezeball with a receding hairline so, at least, that's on brand--but why does BC look like a gargoyle/banshee hybrid? She looks super weird and scary here.

She looks like that blond witch character from Grimm when she had her witch face showing. (I've only seen a few episodes so I don't remember names or whether she was actually called a witch.)

2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

And her knee appears to be made out of lava. 

Yep. How anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me. 

Her knee looks like it should actually be inside of his body. Ouch. 

1 hour ago, SleepDeprived said:

I know BC is super strong and I don't doubt that she can lift Oliver but I have questions about her, seemingly, disproportionately long-ass arms. My brain is trying to figure out how it seems like it's ONLY her forearms that are fully supporting the entire width of a grown man. Like, how long are her forearms??! Also, why is his bow slung over BC that way? Wouldn't it make more sense to hang the string in between her cleavage to avoid chafing the side of her boob? Carrying a bow in that way looks super uncomfortable.

GA looks really small there. 

Sorry, @lemotomato and @tv echo. I quoted you by accident, and I can't figure out how to delete it on my kindle. On my phone, I usually just tap and hit the backspace button until the quote goes away, but that doesn't seem to be working. 

1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

I'd rather see an unrealistic, Gumby-like feat of strength than either one of them being physically abusive to the other. How gross. 

Yeah, I haven't been back to see if that particular panel has been posted yet. 

5 hours ago, Chaser said:

I'm getting domestic violence off that and I can't understand anyone comfortable with this relationship.

Considering Felicity engaged in doemestic violence/violence against men by slapping Curtis on the cheek in 6x09, I'm curious how many threads  Reddit will dedicate to Black Canary-violent domestic abuser. 

• Love 2

Jason's Picks: The Next Generation of Heroes
By Jason Inman   Thursday, January 4th, 2018
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/01/04/jasons-picks-the-next-generation-of-heroes?sf178370594=1

When Robin burst onto his first cover of Detective Comics, DC showed that its universe was ready to change and evolve with the dynamics of their characters. Legacy is an important theme that runs throughout the DC Universe, and one we’ve discussed here in this column before. Still, it’s such an important theme that to kick off 2018, I’m picking three collections that will be released this month that I think you will not only enjoy, but feature the legacy of the DC Universe.
GREEN ARROW: THE ARCHER’S QUEST

This is the greatest Green Arrow story that has ever been written.

Let me say that again, this is the greatest Green Arrow story that has ever been written. This upcoming release is a new edition of Brad Meltzer and Phil Hester’s classic Oliver Queen story. Back in the day, Oliver Queen was killed in an explosion and his son, Connor Hawke, picked up the mantle of Green Arrow. Through supernatural means, Oliver Queen was eventually resurrected and then returned to his own ongoing series.

The Archer’s Quest has Meltzer doing what he did best in IDENTITY CRISIS, having Justice League heroes deal with everyday issues. What is it like for a “dead” hero to put his life back together? Oliver Queen goes on an adventure of rediscovery and the writing reexamines all of Oliver’s relationships with the DCU. Of course, Arsenal is there as backup for Green Arrow.

The Archer’s Quest is an intimate depiction of Oliver Queen and the moments of his history. It’s a story that you can read without any context, but the moments become powerful and ground shaking if you’re familiar with Ollie’s past. The story builds to a powerful climax that shows us that sometimes heroes’ biggest enemies aren’t super-villains, but life itself. Gear up for the quest and fill your quiver, you won’t regret reading this one.

GREEN ARROW: THE ARCHER’S QUEST NEW EDITION
http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/green-arrow-2001/green-arrow-the-archer’s-quest-new-edition

Oliver Queen takes a moody, dangerous trip down memory lane as he and his former ward Arsenal seek out a series of legendary artifacts from his past and along the way run into the likes of the Shade, Solomon Grundy and Catman! Collects GREEN ARROW #16-21.  
U.S. Price (Graphic Novel):  16.99
On Sale Date:  Jan 24 2018

ArchersQuest_5a4d987dbe0240.42418330.jpg

Edited by tv echo
10 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I thought that pic was of the same character drawn slightly dodgy looking! Didn't know Arsenal was an old geezer in comics too! 

I think normally he's younger except that he'd for a while been promoted to taking over the GA mantle so I think they aged him up only to bring Oliver back so both were old fogies.  

5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I think normally he's younger except that he'd for a while been promoted to taking over the GA mantle so I think they aged him up only to bring Oliver back so both were old fogies.  

I don't think Roy ever had the GA mantel. Connor Hawke became GA after Oliver died.

Roy was Speedy, Red Arrow and Arsenal.

Edited by Morrigan2575
17 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Then the GA position but with a different name.  

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  I think this is just Phil Hester's art and probably trying to do some symmetry between Green Arrow/Arsenal.

15 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I thought that pic was of the same character drawn slightly dodgy looking! Didn't know Arsenal was an old geezer in comics too! 

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that, LOL! It was only after I took the time to read the write-up quoted above it that I realized it was supposed to be Arsenal :P

19 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  I think this is just Phil Hester's art and probably trying to do some symmetry between Green Arrow/Arsenal.

They said in the write up about the storyline that after Oliver "died" Arsenal took over for a while.  I just meant that being promoted to more of a leadership position vs sidekick or young hero just breaking away, they probably drew him as an equal instead of showing him more slender to denote youth. which is pretty much what you were saying I think about symmetry between GA and Arsenal.  That they were equal in prowess and drawn to reflect that.  

Edited by BkWurm1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

They said in the write up about the storyline that after Oliver "died" Arsenal took over for a while.  

Are you sure you didn't confuse Connor Hawke and Arsenal? 

Back in the day, Oliver Queen was killed in an explosion and his son, Connor Hawke, picked up the mantle of Green Arrow. Through supernatural means, Oliver Queen was eventually resurrected and then returned to his own ongoing series.

Of course, Arsenal is there as backup for Green Arrow.

Oliver Queen takes a moody, dangerous trip down memory lane as he and his former ward Arsenal seek out a series of legendary artifacts from his past and along the way run into the likes of the Shade, Solomon Grundy and Catman! Collects GREEN ARROW #16-21.  

In this book Connor Hawke is laid up in the Hospital while GA/Arsenal (Ollie/Roy) go on an adventure.

By this time Roy (Arsenal), was already a dad to Lian after a stint as a spy.  They never really specifically age, so it's really hard to tell but I'm guessing early 20s?

He brought Fyffe back? Hysterical! Percy is so far up Lemire's ass it's not even funny. Emiko and Fyffe were both Lemiere creations and, Diggle was brought in under Lemiere. 

Yet no Naomi, brought in by first GA 52 writer as a Chloe Sullivan substitute, or Felicity because ewwww TV shippers LOL.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

All of those people, but especially BC, look really bad. Is that on purpose? Is strangely unattractive characters a stylistic choice I’m just not getting? There’s some kind of weird uncanny valley thing going on here. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

All of those people, but especially BC, look really bad. Is that on purpose? Is strangely unattractive characters a stylistic choice I’m just not getting? There’s some kind of weird uncanny valley thing going on here. 

Crap artist

• Love 1
On 1/4/2018 at 5:03 PM, Chaser said:

I'm getting domestic violence off that and I can't understand anyone comfortable with this relationship.

Imagine if Oliver was shown doing that to her. It would absolutely be considered DV. It's so gross.

• Love 2

Dec. 2017 comic book sales numbers are out...

December 2017 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-12.html

Units    Dollars    Comic-book Title        Issue    Price    Publisher        Est. units
85          79            Green Arrow                  35       $3.99     DC                   23,682

To compare, here were the Nov. 2017 numbers:
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-11.html

87          84            Green Arrow                  34       $3.99       DC                  25,181

Edited by tv echo

I'm guessing at around issue #40 is when the GA comic is going to go below 20k units. 

I wonder what caused the slightly steeper decline between 34 and 35? Because usually the drop is less than that... Was 34 the one where Dinah kneed Oliver in the crotch? lol

13 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

I wonder what caused the slightly steeper decline between 34 and 35? Because usually the drop is less than that... Was 34 the one where Dinah kneed Oliver in the crotch? lol

No. GA #36, which went on sale Jan. 3, 2018, is the issue where Dinah kneed Oliver in the crotch. Those sales numbers won't be out until next month.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Where's the happy dance emoji? ..

Ben Percy Leaving 'Green Arrow,' Hints at a Gotham Title
By RUSS BURLINGAME - January 22, 2018
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/23/ben-percy-leaving-green-arrow-hints-at-a-gotham-title/

After more than 50 issues of Green Arrow, writer Benjamin Percy is stepping away from the series this spring.

The just-solicited Green Arrow #39, due in stores this April, will feature a script from Colin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing. it is not clear whether those creators, who recently took over Nightwing, will remain on two books, whether theirs is a fill-in issue of Green Arrow, or whether they might leave Nightwing.

Despite having a hit TV series that spawned a shared DC Universe on The CW, Green Arrow as a comic book has struggled in recent years. Attempts revitalize the series have almost always hinged on a reinvention, but Percy managed to find the sweet spot that blended classic and newer elements. He made the start of his run, which was published pre-Rebirth, into one of DC's most critically-acclaimed titles and carried that success through the relaunch.

"With The New 52 and Rebirth, I’ll have written 52 issues of Green Arrow. I’m lucky to have had such a long run and to have worked with such an incredible editorial and art team," Percy tweeted after the solicitations were released. "We still have two more issues, so stay tuned to see how this novelistic journey concludes. I’m so damn thankful to have worked with all the artists on this series, but want to give a special shout out to Juan Ferreyra and Otto Schmidt — who are brilliant and great dudes. There’s a killer team taking over the series. Green Arrow fans are in good hands. And I’ll be jumping on to another title for DC Comics. Announcement soon. Let’s just say it’s the zip code where a darker sensibility like mine belongs..."

Especially given that he noted later that his only pre-Green Arrow experience at DC were a pair of Detective Comics issues, it is difficult not to read that last part of his statement as teasing fans that he might move to Gotham City. Currently both Detective Comics and Batman have critically-acclaimed and best-selling runs going on, but it seems that DC as a whole is shaking things up from their now-two-year-old Rebirth status quo in the coming months, so that does not seem like a guarantee that such a status will prevent Tom King and James Tynion from moving if all parties are amenable. Similarly, Percy could be trading titles with the Nightwing scribes taking over Green Arrow.

Of course, given his work with Damian Wayne in Teen Titans, there could be an entirely new Gotham book in Percy's future.
GREEN ARROW #39

Written by COLLIN KELLY and JACKSON LANZING • Art by MARCIO TAKARA • Cover by TYLER KIRKHAM • Variant cover by MIKE GRELL
“THE CHILDREN OF VAHKAR” part one! Following a hellish year in Seattle, Oliver Queen heads to the war-torn city of Vahkar to use his considerable resources to help its starving citizens. But Oliver soon finds himself in over his head when he discovers that Vakhar is being run by a mysterious new warlord known as NOTHING…and all the town’s children have gone missing. Oliver Queen can’t save the children of Vakhar…but can Green Arrow?

On sale APRIL 4 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+

Edited by tv echo

Here's what he was responding to...

Ha, ha...

I also think Green Arrow has been foundational to Rebirth’s success, arguably the book fans and critics point to most when praising the way the initiative rehabilitated characters and brought back core elements. Percy assures us another killer team is taking over after the April-May two-issue fill-in arc, and he’s cryptically hinted he’ll be on a new DC book soon, saying he’s headed to “the zip code where a dark sensibility like mine belongs,” which is totally Gotham, right? Right. So, we have that to look forward to.
An alternate title for this section could be “The Love of the Character,” but I think that love is best summed up by The Goatee. Oliver Queen’s unabashed return to his trademark facial hair at the start of Rebirth was played for laughs in Percy’s script, but there was also serious truth behind it: somewhere along the way the essence of the character had been lost and Percy was hellbent on finding and restoring it, starting with the goatee and following close behind with the return of Ollie’s relationship with Black Canary, which Percy depicted better than any Green Arrow in quite some time (to be fair no other writer has even written the Canary-Arrow relationship in quite some time because in New 52 it never existed).
I threw this out on Twitter after hearing the Percy news, but I'd like to once again call my shot: the next permanent Green Arrow writer will be Brian Michael Bendis. I had this hunch back when the Bendis news broke. Green Arrow is the exact sort of street level character Bendis has always written to great success at Marvel. He’s also a hero with a definite sense of humor who can alternate between gritty and witty. Plus Jessica Jones, who is arguably Bendis’ most famous creation, owes some of her look and attitude to Black Canary, now doesn’t she?

https://www.batmansbookcase.com/updates/2018/1/22/celebrating-an-all-time-great-green-arrow-run

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Synopses for upcoming GA issues...

Green Arrow #37 (on sale Feb. 7, written by Benjamin Percy, art by Juan Ferreyra):

“THE RISE OF RED ARROW”! All Emiko wanted to do was follow in her brother’s footsteps and be the Red Arrow, but he refused her. Now she’s taken an arrow for him and her life is in the balance. Will she survive to become Red Arrow? And will Green Arrow punish those responsible or find himself in the grave? 

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2016/green-arrow-37

Green Arrow #38 (on sale Mar. 7, written by Benjamin Percy, art by Juan Ferreyra):

“TALE OF TWO CITIES” finale! In a special issue that wraps up plotlines that began at the start of this series, Green Arrow and Black Canary must stop Moira Queen and Merlyn from enacting the final stage of their master plan. And if G.A. manages to defeat them, he’ll still have to face the outcome of a trial that could change Oliver Queen’s life forever!

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2016/green-arrow-38

Green Arrow #39 (on sale Apr. 4, written by Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing, art by Marcio Takara):

“THE CHILDREN OF VAHKAR” part one! Following a hellish year in Seattle, Oliver Queen heads to the war-torn city of Vahkar to use his considerable resources to help its starving citizens. But Oliver soon finds himself in over his head when he discovers that Vakhar is being run by a mysterious new warlord known as NOTHING…and all the town’s children have gone missing. Oliver Queen can’t save the children of Vakhar…but can Green Arrow?

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/23/ben-percy-leaving-green-arrow-hints-at-a-gotham-title/ 

ETA: When reading the #38 synopsis above, I couldn't help thinking, 'The Undertaking!'

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, tv echo said:

An alternate title for this section could be “The Love of the Character,” but I think that love is best summed up by The Goatee.

Thy're really really really obsessed with his facial hair. And for the last time, it's a VAN DYKE.

• Love 3

They took the "news" of Ben Percy et al talking about not letting the show influence his run of the GA comics and turned it into "DC cut ties with Arrow!!" It's just the haters twisting things to fit their agenda, as per usual. (And showing their lack of reading comprehension.)

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 3