Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

March 2017 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-03.html

Units    Dollars    Comic-book Title        Issue    Price    Publisher        Est. units
72          97           Green Arrow                   18        $2.99     DC                  31,838
75          100         Green Arrow                   19        $2.99     DC                  30,984
106         138        Batgirl and the 
                             Birds of Prey                      8        $2.99     DC                  22,941

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
Just now, strikera0 said:

I don't read the GA comics. When did E1-Oliver die?

In Year 1 Injustice comics. This is the Injustice universe that used the E1 versions of the characters basically for characterizations.
353186.jpg?1092

Followed by Canary confronting Superman
injustice20.jpg?itok=pQEHZDQ6

black-canary-takes-down-superman-4.jpg

I'm really glad I only read the GA comics during the New 52 era because everything I've seen of him before and after that is gross. This is from before:

Isn't Barbara supposed to be DLL's BFF? Hmm.
Edited by lemotomato
1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

I'm really glad I only read the GA comics during the New 52 era because everything I've seen of him before and after that is gross. This is from before:

Isn't Barbara supposed to be DLL's BFF? Hmm.

That's a flashback. Babs and Dinah werent bffs at that moment, they didnt become close until she turned into Oracle.

"Gotta admit that costume made her look at least twenty but it was clear that he suddenly felt like a dirty old man."

Ewwww.  No wonder so many comic book stans have a perverted sense of what is acceptable behaviour.  Although LOL at Babs telling him he smells like her father.

• Love 5
(edited)

April 2017 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-04.html

Units    Dollars    Comic-book Title    Issue    Price    Publisher        Est. units
72          91           Green Arrow              20         $2.99      DC                  30,216
74          93           Green Arrow              21         $2.99      DC                  29,993

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Instead of rebooting, DC is doing big name crossovers to kick off the second year of GA Rebirth - gotta boost those dropping GA comics sales, I guess (#26 goes on sale July 5, and #27 goes on sale July 19)..

Green Arrow And The Flash Team-Up In This Green Arrow #26 First Look
Antonio Jose Chavez   June 12, 2017
http://dccomicsnews.com/2017/06/12/green-arrow-and-the-flash-team-up-in-this-green-arrow-26-first-look/

“HARD TRAVELING HERO” part one! Unwilling to let another city suffer the same fate as Seattle, Green Arrow kicks off a new quest to hunt down the Ninth Circle across America! To stop disaster before it can happen, the (in)famously hot-headed Oliver Queen must mend fences with those he’s alienated in the past, starting with THE FLASH! The second epic year of GREEN ARROW REBIRTH begins here!

Green Arrow #27 (Preview) – Starring WONDER WOMAN!
Antonio Jose Chavez   June 12, 2017
http://dccomicsnews.com/2017/06/12/green-arrow-27-preview-starring-wonder-woman/

DC Comics has released the official preview for Green Arrow #27, starring WONDER WOMAN!

This issue is a continuation of Green Arrow #26 where Oliver teams up with the Flash and now his interaction with Wonder Woman. It appears the story is centered on Oliver’s relationship with the rest of the leaguers.

GA27_04.jpg

GA27_08.jpg

green-arrow-27-pre.jpg

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

I wonder why there were no sales numbers released for May

They're just  delayed

I'm assuming the Flash crossover is because of the Arrow/Flash shows and Wonder Woman is to capitalize on the movie (obviously planned long before they knew how big it would be).

I'm surprised there's no Green Arrow/Green Lantern crossovers planned. That's a huge partnership in GA Comics. Depending on who you ask the Ollie/Bal friendship is as/more important that GA/BC.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
(edited)

attachment.php?attachmentid=16849&d=1497

4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm assuming the Flash crossover is because of the Arrow/Flash shows and Wonder Woman is to capitalize on the movie (obviously planned long before they knew how big it would be).

Which makes this exchange from the current writer and artist all the more absurd.  Sorry I don't have the direct link, only the screen grab.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

attachment.php?attachmentid=16849&d=1497

Which makes this exchange all the more absurd.  Sorry I don't have the direct link, only the screen grab.  

Who is "they", I wonder? Do comic fans follow orders from a higher power I don't know about? 

(edited)
46 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Who is "they", I wonder? Do comic fans follow orders from a higher power I don't know about? 

Juan Ferreyra does Green Arrow cover art - the "they" is DC, I guess.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

...DC overlords tells their independent contracted employees what to watch on television?  I can just see every contributor telling them to go fuck themselves under their breath. 

• Love 7

So the creator says that DC have never interferred to make the comics similar to the show but they have supposedly interfered and told them not to watch the show per the (frankly douchey sounding) artist? Sounds fake.

If they don't care if the comics are similar to the show or not Id doubt they care if the people involved watch the shows or not. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I could maybe see them being told not to watch the shows for inspiration, which...yeah, that makes sense. But the capitalized SHOULD indicates some bitterness, haha. 

I looked at the thread and it was of course filled with comic readers very happy that the comics were not publishing similar storylines to the ones on the show. I suspect there are at least as many who are glad the show doesn't follow the comics, and even more who don't know what comic canon is. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

Also:  Told not to watch the show...

But also: John Diggle makes comic debut.   Felicity Smoak changed to Arrow self. 

Great job having the comics inspire shows and not the other way,  Juan. 

• Love 12

I think the pretentious artist is definitely bitter. I was checking out the replies to his tweet and he was liking all the tweets having a go at how crap the Arrow writers are and how crap the show is. He also predictably made a dig at Felicity (male ego so fragile so delicate).

Its like I'm sure the Arrow writers who are making three times your salary probably and who's show basically is the definition of Green Arrow for millions more people around the world then the 25 - 30,000 people who buy your comics are really upset that you think you're better then them ?

• Love 9
(edited)

No offense but shouldn't these comic book writers/artists be somewhat grateful for the TV show? Without it many people wouldn't even know Green Arrow. I'd certainly never heard of him or Black Canary until I watched Arrow and then went on a little Google session to learn the basic history. I'm sure they gained a few new GA comic book readers as a result of the show. So they should probably try to be less bitter, IMO. Or maybe just stay in their lanes. IDK. I find this whole talk about how the comics are somehow superior to be so pathetic. Just write your comic and get on with it.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 11

I wonder about how many potential new readers they've lost because of their holier than thou attitude. I'm saying this as someone that used to read comics, and actually purchased the run of GA comics that Ben Sokolowski wrote. But I dropped the series when Percy got hired, not just because werewolf AIDS Oliver was dumb, but because I wasn't going to support someone that proclaimed he hated the show I liked, hated the characters I liked, and more importantly, treated fans of the show like they were beneath him and comic fans. Screw them if they'd rather fight for the same shrinking pool of readers instead of trying to welcome new ones. 

• Love 11

I think the comics vs. TV/movie thing is so weird. 

I like watching comic-based properties, but I don't care at all what actually happened in the comics, because I'm not interested in them and won't ever read them. Which...I'm guessing that's a majority of the audience, since the measurable sales figures don't come even close to matching the measurable viewer numbers - not just for Green Arrow, but for tv shows and movies regardless of character? 

I really don't get why there isn't more, "If you like this, we have something different but in the same vein to offer you, and maybe you'll like it too!"  isn't more prevalent, but...given the attitude the exclusitivity and superiority runs deep with that group, so I'm not surprised.

• Love 12

I only knew Green Arrow from Smallville, who was only included in the show in the first place because they couldn't get Batman.

And to be honest, I know some people have decided to make Arrows Oliver enemy number 1 even if he breathes wrong but even at the height of tv Olivers stupidity cough*Susan*cough I'd still take him over cheesy goatee cheating Ollie. 

• Love 12
(edited)

I actually really detest the clique mentality of the comic book world tbh. I know when I've mentioned online that I've never read the comics before the TV show, I've been treated as a lesser fan and the comic book readers are the "real" fans. It's nonsense but it's something I've experienced a lot. I'm sure I'm not the only one. So it wouldn't surprise me if they have lost new readers with their attitude. More fool them.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, LeighAn said:

I think the pretentious artist is definitely bitter. I was checking out the replies to his tweet and he was liking all the tweets having a go at how crap the Arrow writers are and how crap the show is. He also predictably made a dig at Felicity (male ego so fragile so delicate).

Its like I'm sure the Arrow writers who are making three times your salary probably and who's show basically is the definition of Green Arrow for millions more people around the world then the 25 - 30,000 people who buy your comics are really upset that you think you're better then them ?

10 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I wonder about how many potential new readers they've lost because of their holier than thou attitude. I'm saying this as someone that used to read comics, and actually purchased the run of GA comics that Ben Sokolowski wrote. But I dropped the series when Percy got hired, not just because werewolf AIDS Oliver was dumb, but because I wasn't going to support someone that proclaimed he hated the show I liked, hated the characters I liked, and more importantly, treated fans of the show like they were beneath him and comic fans. Screw them if they'd rather fight for the same shrinking pool of readers instead of trying to welcome new ones. 

And now we know they don't even watch Arrow so their opinions are super valid.  ?

• Love 2
(edited)

Eek! Rebirth GA and BC are breaking up - how will we survive? Seriously, how long will that last, do you think? It seems conveniently timed, right before GA teams up with Flash and Wonder Woman. Oh, and does anyone else think that the use of the word "unthinkable" below was throwing shade at that Arrow episode? (This issue goes on sale June 21)...

Exclusive DC Preview: Green Arrow #25
by Russ Burlingame | June 14, 2017
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/06/14/exclusive-dc-preview-green-arrow-25?sf89429017=1

The issue opens with Oliver Queen in custody and being grilled by a pair of detectives. While there's certainly an element of "good cop/bad cop" going on with one guy much more outraged by Oliver than the other, neither of them is particularly friendly and Oliver is lawyering up.

That's just one facet of the story: a bunch is set to happen, including the breakup of Green Arrow and Black Canary, effectively nullifying the biggest change to hit Oliver's status quo since the start of Rebirth.
“BROKEN ARROW” part one! Hopelessly divided over Oliver’s role in the rise of Star City, Green Arrow and Black Canary do the unthinkable and break up. While Dinah starts a resistance movement in the former Seattle underground, Ollie's been driven out of the city he sacrificed everything to protect. And that’s only the beginning! The next major phase of GREEN ARROW begins with in this oversized anniversary issue!

ga-cv25-ds-1002894.jpg

ga-cv25-open-order-var-1002895.jpg

ga-25-1-1002896.jpg

ga-25-2-1002897.jpg

ga-25-3-1002898.jpg

ga-25-4-1002899.jpg

ga-25-5-1002900.jpg

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Since I haven't been following the GA comics (and have read none of them), I looked up the plot of the previous issue, Green Arrow #24. That issue was titled "The Rise of Star City":

“THE RISE OF STAR CITY” finale! The Ninth Circle’s plan for Seattle comes to its horrifying conclusion as the city is reborn as Star City! Sponsored by Queen Industries, it’s the first privately controlled metropolis in America—and Green Arrow’s worst nightmare. How can Oliver Queen fight back when the fat cats literally own the city? The answer will shock you in this stunning conclusion. 

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2016/green-arrow-24

So apparently Seattle was destroyed and then reborn as Star City in the comics this month.

Edited by tv echo
On 6/14/2017 at 11:10 AM, Angel12d said:

No offense but shouldn't these comic book writers/artists be somewhat grateful for the TV show? Without it many people wouldn't even know Green Arrow. I'd certainly never heard of him or Black Canary until I watched Arrow and then went on a little Google session to learn the basic history. I'm sure they gained a few new GA comic book readers as a result of the show. So they should probably try to be less bitter, IMO. Or maybe just stay in their lanes. IDK. I find this whole talk about how the comics are somehow superior to be so pathetic. Just write your comic and get on with it.

It is a very double edged sword. Without comics, a lot of people would not know about these characters and without them being adapted a lot of people wouldn't know about these characters. There is no lane to stay in for either side since they need each other to a certain degree. But in the end it isn't any different from any other adaption. Harry Potter being a prime example.

On a different note, BC/GA will be joining the next small event
gothamresistance.jpg

Except JK Rowling doesn't get on Twitter being bitter and resentful about the Harry Potter films and liking tweets abusing the film makers so yeah ... comparison not even close.

• Love 7
(edited)

Wow, that's really some simplistic reasoning and bad cop/bad cop browbeating in that comic.  And no, just because you own the city doesn't mean you're not subject to federal laws.

It does make me understand a big more about the comics/TV fandom split.  If that's as far as you want your reasoning to go (not that there's anything wrong with it in the comics), you're not going to understand why Felicity ended her engagement to Oliver or why it's not an abusive relationship.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

Except JK Rowling doesn't get on Twitter being bitter and resentful about the Harry Potter films and liking tweets abusing the film makers so yeah ... comparison not even close.

Except it's not about that exact writer. It's about fans/writers/artists in general. There are plenty of people I know who loathe the HP movies since they change things/dont represent the characters/story well enough which is the same exact thing some comic fans think of Arrow and other comic adaptions. Just as there are plenty of people who have their works adapted and don't like the outcome. If I were trying to compare Percy with JK it'd be a different story. 

Edited by Primal Slayer

I don't watch the HP movies because it ruins the Harry Potter & Co that is in my imagination from the books. But I don't go around tweeting bad things about the movies or bashing people who watch do like them.  I just don't watch the movies.

Deliberately hitting your head against a wall doesn't make sense to me.  There's no way an Arrow TV show copying the comics would have got even a second season. 

• Love 13
(edited)
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I don't watch the HP movies because it ruins the Harry Potter & Co that is in my imagination from the books. But I don't go around tweeting bad things about the movies or bashing people who watch do like them.  I just don't watch the movies.

Deliberately hitting your head against a wall doesn't make sense to me.  There's no way an Arrow TV show copying the comics would have got even a second season. 

You also don't go around insisting that the HP movies should get pulled from shelves and not be shown on TV or beg for new movies to be made that follow the books to the letter. 

Even Smallville, where GA was a side character, didn't go with the van dyke sporting, tights wearing comics GA, because It doesn't translate well to live action TV. They even tried sleeveless for one season before realizing it's impractical and dropped it. And now that I think about, that's probably the reason why comics purists are so angry about Arrow-- not just because it doesn't follow the comics faithfully, but also because it's successful because it doesn't follow the comics.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

It is a very double edged sword. Without comics, a lot of people would not know about these characters and without them being adapted a lot of people wouldn't know about these characters. There is no lane to stay in for either side since they need each other to a certain degree. But in the end it isn't any different from any other adaption. Harry Potter being a prime example.

I still think there are lanes to stay in tbh. I don't think there's any need for a comic book writer to make petty snippy comments about the TV show and like/RT tweets hating on characters/ships in the show they profess to have never seen in the first place. Just don't do that. Or if they have to discuss the show, perhaps be a bit more diplomatic about it and say they appreciate they're two different mediums and with both there is something for everyone to enjoy. It's really rather easy to not be a dick on the internet and yet... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 14
18 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

You also don't go around insisting that the HP movies should get pulled from shelves and not be shown on TV or beg for new movies to be made that follow the books to the letter. 

Even Smallville, where GA was a side character, didn't go with the van dyke sporting, tights wearing comics GA, because It doesn't translate well to live action TV. They even tried sleeveless for one season before realizing it's impractical and dropped it. And now that I think about, that's probably the reason why comics purists are so angry about Arrow-- not just because it doesn't follow the comics faithfully, but also because it's successful because it doesn't follow the comics.

That last part of the second paragraph is why I think those fans are so salty. LOL

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I still think there are lanes to stay in tbh. I don't think there's any need for a comic book writer to make petty snippy comments about the TV show and like/RT tweets hating on characters/ships in the show they profess to have never seen in the first place. Just don't do that. Or if they have to discuss the show, perhaps be a bit more diplomatic about it and say they appreciate they're two different mediums and with both there is something for everyone to enjoy. It's really rather easy to not be a dick on the internet and yet... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As far as hating/liking RT yeah I can agree that he should be more diplomatic especially since at the end of the day, they both practically have to report to the same bosses and it'd be best for company.