Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

(edited)
12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

That's Matt Morrison is Starman, isn't he?

Yep. I agree with a lot of what he writes, but not everything.

I think it's premature to judge S7 when it hasn't even started and we don't know yet how Arrow is going to handle Oliver's prison storyline.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

June 2018 sales numbers are out (fyi, this report also shows sales numbers for the X-Men Gold wedding issue that was released on June 20th and some Batman: Prelude to the Wedding issues)...

June 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2018/2018-06.html

Units    Dollars    Comic-book Title    Issue    Price    On sale    Publisher    Est. units
104        102          Green Arrow             41         $3.99    06/06/18    DC            20,309

To compare, here were the May 2018 sales numbers:

116        116          Green Arrow             40         $3.99    05/02/18    DC            20,995

Edited by tv echo

I looked it up about a month ago when that nasty article came out in TV Fanatic but I've forgotten the numbers now.  They were roughly the same as other editions. I was hoping for a bump up but I guess it's different audiences.

(edited)

I added the figures for the issues before to show that they'd been dropping consistently, just like we've seen with the Percy issues. I don't know if it's the same rate, someone so much better at math than me can calculate that. There was a slight bump in 35 but, just like with ratings, there's no way of knowing whether Felicity had an impact or not — which is why it's utterly ridiculous when haters kept saying she was dumped because she was a failure. 

Green Arrow 32: 23,602

Green Arrow 33: 23, 452

Green Arrow 34: 22,927

Green Arrow: 35: 23,346

Green Arrow 36: 21, 842

Green Arrow 37: 20, 904

Green Arrow 38: 20,207

Green Arrow 39: 19,651

Green Arrow 40: 19,792

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
(edited)
On 7/11/2018 at 3:53 AM, jaye.elle said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the numbers for the Green Arrow comics Felicity was in? I'm not quite sure how to check and compare.

Also, what does the Dollars column indicate? I read an explanation online but it went straight over my head, to be honest... :/

I believe the "Units" column ranks the comics by number of issues (units) sold, while the "Dollars" column ranks the comics by amount of dollars sold (for example, #1 would've made the most money).

Another thing - New 52 launched in 2011 and continued until 2015 (I believe), so Felicity and Diggle were introduced near the very end of that reboot. So of course, the numbers would be low at that point. That TV Fanatic article unfairly compared GA sales numbers near the end of a reboot with sales number for the first GA issue that was released at the start of The Rebirth reboot in 2016. So of course, there was a dramatic increase at the start of this new reboot. But just like every reboot before it, sales have dropped significantly since then and are now back to pre-reboot levels, erasing that dramatic increase.

One could reasonably argue that if Felicity and Diggle had been introduced in the very first GA Rebirth issue, then there still would've been a dramatic increase in sales, which would rebut the TV Fanatic argument.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Green Arrow #43 goes on sale tomorrow - here's an interview with the Bensons...

First Look: Julie and Shawna Benson Take on Green Arrow
By Tim Beedle  July 30th, 2018
https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/07/30/first-look-julie-and-shawna-benson-take-on-green-arrow

When a greedy developer puts a family at risk, Ollie and Roy take action in this exclusive first look at Wednesday’s GREEN ARROW #43.
GREEN ARROW #43 marks the debut of writers Julie and Shawna Benson and artist Javier Fernandez on the series, and it finds Ollie going strong in his mission to protect and fight for the people of his city. But he’s not the only one. A new vigilante called the Citizen has also taken up the charge, and it becomes clear pretty quickly that he’s no friend to Oliver Queen. Combine with Ollie and Dinah starting to get serious about their relationship and it’s clear that Green Arrow’s already complicated life is about to get…well, you can figure it out.
You’ve been writing BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY for the past two years. How does it feel to be moving onto Ollie?
JULIE BENSON:
It’s big shoes to fill. Ben Percy’s run was so amazing. All of the runs over the last 75 years of Green Arrow are amazing. So yeah, no pressure. It’s been really fun, and getting to write a male character and still have Canary and Kate Spencer as a part of it has been such a blast. Finding a story that’s more personal and grounded, and that really lets us play with Oliver Queen’s emotional struggles… We’re not taking it easy on him.

I’m curious how you define “grounded.” Will you be going back to more street-level crimefighting similar to what the show has been doing recently, or will we still be seeing bankers with their skin half burned off?
JB:
No, we’re pulling it back to the street level for sure. For us, when we created the new villain—the Citizen—we really asked ourselves who the best villain is for Ollie. It’s always a street level guy—somebody who’s something of a mirror image of him, but who really takes it up to eleven. Instead of someone who collects people and puts them in jail, this guy wants to be judge, jury and executioner. The question is, how does Ollie deal with that?

SHAWNA BENSON: The Citizen really sees himself as a representative of the people. He wants to take down the corrupt and powerful that seem to get away with everything. And who’s one of the most powerful and rich people in Seattle? Oliver Queen.

Ollie and Green Arrow are both going to get squeezed pretty badly by this guy.
You mentioned having Black Canary in the book. You already have a lot of experience writing Dinah in Birds of Prey. Does that help with the transition to Green Arrow a bit? How big of a role will she play?
JB:
We call her an anchor, but that always sounds bad, like she’s weighing us down. But it just means we see her as a really solid character. We got to tell a little story with her. You’ll see that she’s moving in with Oliver, and she might be spending some more time in Seattle, and as a result, might be missing the Birds a little bit. We’re trying to take Dinah’s relationship with Ollie up a level—though it’s not all about the relationship, of course. We’re not going to do that.

SB: That’s not us.

JB: But we get to have that as the nucleus—their relationship. Then everything else sort of spins around it. It’s fun.
Will we be seeing some of the other members of Ollie’s family?
JB:
No, actually, because they’re in other books. At first, we were kind of upset about that, but then we thought about it and realized it’s actually kind of great that it’s just about Green Arrow and Canary. It’s really about these two having to fix what feels like a very small problem, just a Seattle problem, but of course, by the end of the arc, it will become a much bigger global problem.

SB: Really, the only other major “guest star” that we have in it is Kate Spencer, who is now on retainer at Queen Industries after helping Oliver clear his name of murder. She takes on a slightly bigger role for him in our story, and that was fun to play with.

Let’s talk about Kate Spencer for a moment. I’ve always loved how relatable she is. She’s a brilliant attorney, but you can tell that she’s just working to make ends meet. Are you keeping that side of her?
SB:
It’s tricky because this first arc really focuses on Ollie and Dinah. Kate is definitely there, and I think if we’re able to work with her on future arcs, we’d love to explore her Manhunter angle and talk about her son some more. We really love her whole story, so we try to give little nods to it. Like Oliver notices she’s chomping a lot of gum. It’s because she’s stopping smoking. I think things like that really humanize her in a cool way. Those are the fun little tidbits.
Bruce Wayne, when he’s Bruce, is usually kind of a jerk. He has his whole playboy persona. But Ollie doesn’t really have that anymore. So how do you make Oliver Queen interesting?
JB:
There are some fun gags in our book where you see him back at the office trying to figure out his day job. There’s this fun bit where Kate’s downloading him on this and that and he says, “We’ll talk in my office.” Then they turn a corner and he says, “Hang on, where IS my office?”

He’s that guy.

We think of him almost like a George Clooney type. He’s slick. He’s happening. He’s friends with all the people at the business.

SB: He’s like, “Hey, hey, heeey….” [points at different people in the vicinity]

JB: “How was your trip to Hawaii, buddy?” [laughs]

He’s that guy. Everyone loves him, but he doesn’t know where his office is at. He’s actually more personal than Bruce in those terms. He might know everybody’s name in the office, but he doesn’t know what number Q-Phone is coming out because he doesn’t care. That’s not what’s important to him. The people are what’s important to him.

SB: That’s what he does at his night time job. He’s there for the people.

JB: I don’t know. He seems like a fun boss to me.

GA_Cv43_5b5ba7b3e8f5e4.23587532.jpg

You can read a 6-page preview here:
https://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/439273

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Based on these two first day reviews, the Bensons' start to their regular GA writing gig is not impressing critics (warning: spoilers)...

Review – Green Arrow #43: Ollie vs. the Fat Cats
Posted on August 1, 2018 by Ray Goldfield 
https://geekdad.com/2018/08/review-green-arrow-43-ollie-vs-the-fat-cats/

Ray – 4/10
Ray:
The first issue of the Benson sisters’ run on Green Arrow was actually the recent annual, which tied in to Justice League: No Justice and was actually a highly entertaining action-adventure that made good use of Amanda Waller, Barbara Gordon, and Ollie himself. Despite my issues with their Birds of Prey run, that made me optimistic that they might have the right angle for Green Arrow. Those hopes were largely dashed with Green Arrow #34 [sic], an issue that seems to have the right ideas for what a Green Arrow run should be, but not the execution to pull it off. Picking up from the annual, with Ollie dealing with a massive responsibility of a secret anti-Justice League weapon courtesy of Martian Manhunter, the story immediately shifts the focus to the partnership between Ollie and Roy Harper, who are teaming up to stop a corrupt landlord named Jubal Slade from blowing up buildings with tenants inside. A high-wire escape kicks the book off with a bang, but the dialogue is an issue – Slade is far too cartoonishly evil, and Roy and Ollie’s constant snark feels like they’ve come nowhere in regards to sorting out their partnership.
Also, where’s Emiko? Ollie and Dinah are moving in together, and seem to be moving forward with their relationship – Emiko’s a big part of that. She’s Ollie’s sister and he’s her legal guardian, but she seems to have been left to go off by herself to capture criminals with Damian. DC really doesn’t like to let its superhero parents actually be parents, does it? The dialogue in this issue is a big problem. It drops a lot of major plot threads including the secret weapon and Roy apparently having ties to Sanctuary, but the dialogue (using words like “tum-tum”) is so overly jokey that it doesn’t give the scenes any weight. The biggest problem, though, is the villain – The Citizen, a radical Anarky-like villain who targets the rich and corrupt, executing Jubal Slade late in the issue and setting his sights on Ollie in the next issue. Green Arrow comics should be socially relevant, but this is a very clumsy handling of a character who seems like a more violent version of Anarky. Having him actually refer to himself as a “Social Justice Warrior” feels like a bad flashback to the awkward arc of Birds of Prey involving radfems trying to commit genocide against the men in Gotham. Based on this first issue, this run wants to deal with heavy issues, but it’s bitten off a lot more than it can chew.

Green Arrow #43 Review
Jim Werner   August 1, 2018
https://www.weirdsciencedccomics.com/2018/08/green-arrow-43-review.html

The Benson sisters take their show out of Gotham and head across the country to Seattle and she's brought Black Canary with them.  That is no surprise (she is a regular in Green Arrow as well), but Roy Harper?  Alright!

The Bensons use this first issue to check off all the Green Arrow boxes...the Island, former spoiled rich kid, people acting awful so Ollie can go SJW on them and save the day...well, the last one gets a bit more complicated.
Of course, Ollie has to shift gears as well.  He starts out teamed up with his former side-kick, Roy Harper, and I couldn't have been happier.  Roy is a hero without a book right now and while I want more of him here, it seems like he is just here to show us he is off to the Sanctuary.  Another box checked it seems.

During all this, we see that Ollie finances are in a shambles (this time from trying to help people), get a couple No Justice name drops and see the Kate Spencer will be continuing on after Ben Percy's so-called "Trial of the Century".  I like that a lot and I also liked that the Bensons addressed the "Box" that Ollie got at the end of No Justice and saw who will look after it if Green Arrow dies.

We do get a whole lot of setup, but eventually, we get to the villain of the story...The Citizen.  He is a bit of a walking cliche with the "vote to kill the bad guy online" trope and I have to say the jury is still out with this guy.  I'll tell you one thing...he is downright vicious!  I don't think anyone will be surprised with the cliffhanger so I'm glad the Bensons get there at the end of their first issue.  
I won't say this is the best issue of Green Arrow I've ever read and I won't tell you this is a highly original start for the Bensons.  I didn't hate it, even though it was a tad boring, but I still am keeping the faith.  There is something here and I love the way the Bensons write Ollie and Dinah together.  That's not enough to give this issue super high marks, but is plenty enough to keep me interested.  
The Bensons start their run on Green Arrow and while it is not the most original beginnings, they check most of the Green Arrow boxes and the Ollie/Dinah dynamic is solid.  The art is serviceable but doesn't do anything to make it stick out.  I am cautiously optimistic for the Benson's run, but that's more than I can say about a lot of books these days.

6.8/10

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'm not a comic expert but does the art in that look subpar to anyone else?  Like it lacks detail?   Especially with the eyes.  

It is subpar, especially compared to the previous artist but subpar does seem to be the regular for a lot of comics.

Four more Green Arrow #43 reviews (including some positive ones)...

GREEN ARROW #43 Review: Citizen’s Arrest
By Dispatchdcu - August 1, 2018
https://www.monkeysfightingrobots.co/green-arrow-43-review-citizens-arrest/

This feels like it’s been done before. The premise of a villain/ vigilante using the internet to have everyone vote to see who lives and who dies has been something tossed around in the media, films, and TV since at least 2008 with the movie UNTRACEABLE. Granted, that movie was just a straight up killer trying to show how sick and twisted society is where the Benson’s took it one step further and made it a “call to action.”

The idea of looking at humanity under a microscope to see their true colors was even done in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES when Joker made the two ferry boats decide who would live and who would die. Point is: I’m disappointed that Benson’s first shot at Green Arrow turned into plots of movies and possibly TV shows that have been done before. They had an opportunity, like most new creative teams on books, to move in any direction they wanted with new ideas and new directions for the characters. This issue felt more of the same Social Justice angle with plots of movies readers have seen before sprinkled in.
I also loved that Roy is the person Oliver chooses to trust with the box that Martian Manhunter gave him in case he dies. This was where I wanted the Benson’s to take the story. Readers will want to know what’s in that dang box and how it can be used to stop the Justice League. If you have been reading JUSTICE LEAGUE currently, we have seen how easy it is for our heroes to lose control, be taken advantage of, or just manipulated by outside forces. Point is: the Benson’s could explore this angle while fighting villains along the way. I would be all in on that story arc!
Javi Fernandez does a fantastic job showing facial emotions and expressions in his art. However, his style throughout the issue isn’t as detailed and realistic as I would like. I enjoy more texture and weight to my art, and that isn’t Fernandez’ style. Don’t get me wrong; nothing that Fernandez drew looks bad at all. Readers can tell exactly what they are looking at with little confusion. His layout of panels and flow through the issue makes it easy to follow, but the pages just aren’t very dynamic. Fernandez’ art doesn’t draw me into the story, but it also isn’t taking anything away from it either.

Review: Green Arrow #43
SEAN BLUMENSHINE  August 1, 2018
http://dccomicsnews.com/2018/08/01/review-green-arrow-43/

The Citizen is a great villain so far. The Benson sisters use Benjamin Percy’s take on Oliver as a self-proclaimed social justice warrior, which I still love, to create a wonderful parallel in a character that is the worst possible extreme of that attitude. The Citizen’s main weapon is social media and the mob mentality people tend to have on Twitter when they don’t like something rightly or wrongly. This issue premiering less than a week after the James Gunn incident makes it all the more relevant. Social media controversy is non-stop with a never forgive/never forget attitude. The Benson sisters effortlessly tackle this idea and play it in a compelling manner.
I’m not a big fan of the art. It’s a stylistic preference; the art isn’t as detailed as I tend to like it. There are some legitimately great moments in which Fernandez gets a little more stylistic. The final page is the best example of this. But generally, the art doesn’t work. There often isn’t enough detail in the faces or, in some panels, hardly any.
This is minor because it doesn’t really matter but I am bummed that Emiko, Diggle and Fyff seemingly aren’t part of the team anymore. As someone who started reading comics because of Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino’s Green Arrow, it’s a little sad to see the last remnants of their take gone. I can still read Emiko in Teen Titans and obviously I can watch Dig in the TV show. Again, it’s not a big deal but it’s something I thought about while reading.
This is a solid issue. The script is great; I think the Benson sisters knock it out of the park. The first part of the story immediately allows us to sympathize with Ollie due to how he’s handling his renewed relationship with Roy and that’s combined with powerful social commentary and a scary new villain. I’m genuinely excited about where this book is going. The art takes some of my personal enjoyment down because, stylistically, it doesn’t do anything for me. But it’s still a really good issue and worth checking out.

GREEN ARROW #43 [Review]
Matt Morrison   August 1, 2018
http://kabooooom.com/2018/08/green-arrow-43-review/

Whatever else may be said about Green Arrow #43, it is not a subtle comic. It opens with a cigar-chomping mogul eagerly pushing a big red button to blow up a building full of innocent people and ends with a left-wing vigilante advocating the return of the guillotine. A year or two ago this might have seemed over-the-top. Somehow it doesn’t seem that absurd in a world where Sacha Baron Cohen can trick a group of racist militiamen into dressing in drag and throwing a fake quinceañera in a bid to capture illegal immigrant teenagers.

Thankfully, the book’s action sequences are as gloriously over the top as the politics, with Julie and Shawna Benson maintaining a consistent tone and level of energy throughout. Their take on Oliver Queen will gladly kick seven kinds of crap out of a fat-cat, but he won’t play judge, jury and executioner. This does a good deal to separate him from the more well-known and more-violent incarnation of Oliver Queen from Arrow. It should be interesting to see how this storyline plays out given that Green Arrow’s ideals may not be the same as Arsenal (who spent the last few years partnering with Red Hood) and Black Canary, who is, I think, still an ex special-ops soldier with no serious objections to killing in self-defense.
The artwork by Javier Fernandez is a keen compromise between streamlined exaggeration and Grellian grit. His figures are exaggerated, but there is an inherent darkness to his design and a staggering amount of detail in his panels. Note, for instance, the excited child cheering as he falls to near-certain death while his parents and saviors are screaming or gritting their teeth in the above panel. Strangely enough, the disparity between this aesthetic and the bright colors used by John Kalisz seems oddly appropriate, adding to the conflicted nature of the story.

Pick of the Week: “Green Arrow” #43
By Michael Mazzacane | August 2nd, 2018
http://www.multiversitycomics.com/reviews/green-arrow-43/

One of the key talking and selling points of this New Justice era has been the promise of a more interconnected DC Universe. To a certain degree that’s fine. Cape comics have pioneered and built on the shared story world concept for years. Often, however, it can feel like these hooks interrupt the personal story of the book. “Green Arrow” #43 features multiple references to both “No Justice” and the upcoming “Heroes in Crisis,” and yet these hooks work in the books favor. The Bensons’ lean into them, the new responsibilities Ollie has as keeper of the mystery box, as a part of the story the issue is telling of a distracted Oliver Queen. The box and other recent events become an outside force that both distracts him from his present duties, and call into question the overall efficacy of his mission as both the Green Arrow and Oliver Queen.

The main way this feeling of distraction is revealed is by juxtaposing his inner monologue with his dialogue. I suspect that won’t land well with everyone as this issue straddles the line with feeling overwritten at times. Ironically, it isn’t because the space taken up by the dialogue is so overriding there are just a few moments where Ollie’s inner thoughts don’t feel relevant to the mood created by the artists. The interplay between his thoughts and words, however, is an often effective storytelling choice such as in the early pages of the book where he and Roy bicker about trust before climaxing in the gem of a line “if I die trusting Arsenal, I’ll kill him.” There’s a distracted sort of brevity to Queen’s monologue in this issue as he deals with multiple problems at the same time that makes this narrative choice worth it.

Javier Fernandez line work goes a long way in building a context for the Bensons’ dialogue. His line work and page designs are very different compared to Rich Tommaso but there is this cartoonist sensibility to how he draws figures and facial expressions. In one of the excellent one-page sequences, he gives overworked attorney Kate Spencer the best death glare eyes and they’re done in such a way you can’t really see the pupil, it’s just how he put the core facial components together and body language. It’s not just the funny beats, he does a good job at representing the at times tense relationship between Ollie and Roy as well as the respect between the two. These skills mixed with John Kalisz punched and smooth color palette make this issue feel full of life.
Final Verdict: 8.0 – The Benson Sisters get off to a strong start with an issue and art that emphasizes personal connections, the wider DCU, and how those two things can cause friction.

Edited by tv echo

Another review of GA #43...

Green Arrow #43 Review: The Bensons Return Triumphant
Posted by Joshua Davison August 6, 2018
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/06/green-arrow-43-review-bensons/

Julie and Shawna Benson have returned to Green Arrow (having written the aforementioned Annual), and I’m rejoicing. These two know how to write a good Green Arrow (as also shown by the Annual). They balance social conscience, a sense of humor, and just a dash of cockiness to make Ollie as he should be.

Bringing back Arsenal, if only for an issue, and making sure Black Canary is involved is good to see too. Green Arrow should have a team around him, and Ollie has cultivated quite the team over the years.
Javier Fernandez provides an energetic art style that brings action to life quite well. The detailing on faces is lighter, and it mostly gets away with it. There are some panels that have endearing cartoonish facial expressions, but then there are some where the faces almost look like a blob with a mouth and eyes. That said, the art works far more often than it doesn’t. John Kalisz uses a bright and popping color palette to keep the visual tone light, and it suits the book well. It also turns dark when it needs to do so.

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

Javier Fernandez provides an energetic art style that brings action to life quite well. The detailing on faces is lighter, and it mostly gets away with it. There are some panels that have endearing cartoonish facial expressions, but then there are some where the faces almost look like a blob with a mouth and eyes. That said, the art works far more often than it doesn’t. John Kalisz uses a bright and popping color palette to keep the visual tone light, and it suits the book well. It also turns dark when it needs to do so

"Mostly gets away with it"  "blob with a mouth and eyes" "works far more often than it doesn't"  Not exactly high praise.  

Faint praise is worse than if someone hates it.  At least then you can brush the complaint off as radically opposing opinions but this mushy meh about the art makes me hope their guy steps up his game.  Not sure why I care but i want the art for GA to be great.  I want it to show the people backing the comic and the property care enough to give them a great artist.  Not this "mostly gets away with it" dude. 

DC reveals a fan-favorite is about to die in DC Nation #4
by Scott Brown   August 10, 2018
https://bamsmackpow.com/2018/08/10/dc-comic-character-death-dc-nation/

In an upcoming preview of DC Nation #4, DC revealed six characters that have the possibility of dying at the end of September.
The list of those potentially about to meet the reaper was released onto Previews World, through DC’s solicitation and cover of DC Nation #4, releasing September 5th. Those on the short list include Damian Wayne, Kyle Rayner, Cyborg, Roy Harper, Harley Quinn, and Booster Gold.

There is no indication in what title this death will occur in, but based on the previews of Tom King and Clay Mann’s Heroes in Crisis #1, releasing September 26th aka the twenty-one days after DC Nation #4 is released, leaving the most likely possibility that it will happen in the pages of the upcoming series.
3. Roy Harper
Roy is a much more likely candidate to be killed, albeit possibly not in a heroic way. Roy is an addict and it’s possible, based around nothing but pure speculation, that if he does die, it will be because he relapsed and overdosed. He’d been having a rough go of it lately in the Titans series, so it would be in step with his comic character of late and be even more tragic. However, Colton Haynes is returning as the character for the upcoming season of Arrow, so DC may not let Roy die.

Edited by tv echo

July sales numbers have been published (GA #42 was written by Mairghread Scott, with art by Matt Clark)...

July 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2018/2018-07.html

Units    Dollars    Comic-book Title        Issue    Price    On sale    Publisher        Est. units
102        101          Green Arrow                42       $3.99    07/04/18    DC                  20,107

To compare, here were the June sales numbers (GA #41 was written by Maighread Scott, with art by Matt Clark):

104        102          Green Arrow                41       $3.99    06/06/18    DC                  20,309

Edited by tv echo

You may remember that, in Green Arrow #43, Roy Harper told Oliver Queen that he (Roy) had checked into Sanctuary...
Green-Arrow-Roy-Harper-Sanctuary.jpg?q=3

This mysterious Sanctuary takes center stage in DC's new comics series dealing with superhero trauma - the first issue, Heroes In Crisis #1, will be released on Sep. 26...

DC's HEROES IN CRISIS: What We Know
By Vaneta Rogers   August 30, 2018
https://www.newsarama.com/41635-dc-s-heroes-in-crisis-what-we-know.html

In less than a month, DC will launch its newest "Crisis,” but this one won’t have a planet-consuming supervillain or a universe-shattering threat.

Heroes in Crisis, the September limited series by Tom King, Clay Mann, and Mitch Gerads will instead focus on how superheroes process those events, all set against the backdrop of a murder mystery that shakes the DCU in a said-to-be surprisingly personal way.
The story centers around a place called Sanctuary, a mental health treatment center where heroes (and villains) in the DCU can heal from traumatic experiences.

As the story begins, there’s a mass shooting at Sanctuary and around a dozen heroes are killed by an unknown assailant. A murder investigation takes place as characters process the tragedy.
Many heroes and villains of the DCU are either currently at Sanctuary or have visited in the past, according to King. Confirmed patients at Sanctuary during the events of Heroes in Crisis are Booster Gold, Wally West/The Flash, Roy Harper/Arsenal, and Poison Ivy. Harley Quinn is also a patient (or perhaps visiting her friend Ivy) when Heroes in Crisis takes place.
There have been three methods revealed for characters to become patients at Sanctuary:

1) They can check themselves in. Roy Harper is willingly going to “rehab” at Sanctuary, as he told both Oliver Queen (in Green Arrow #43) and Jason Todd (in Red Hood and the Outlaws Annual #2).
DC ran an advertisement with images of 21 different DC characters that said the following:
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

- “Two of these characters will be murdered”
- “Three of these characters will be accused of murder”
- “One of these characters will be revealed as a murderer”

The images shown included: Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Booster Gold, Deathstroke, Nightwing, Kyle Rayner, Tim Drake, Green Arrow, Arsenal, Cyborg, Poison Ivy, Superman, Lex Luthor, Flash/Wally West, The Riddler, John Constantine, The Atom, Damage, Mr. Terrific, Beast Boy, Harley Quinn.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Here's an advance look at Green Arrow #44, which is being released on Wednesday (Sep. 5)...

EXCLUSIVE Preview: GREEN ARROW #44
Dan Greenfield   Aug. 30, 2018
https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-preview-green-arrow-44/

So are we supposed to call him Oliver McQueen now?

Seriously, the idea of Ollie owning the green mustang from Bullitt is just smashing. Trick it out with some arrows and you’ve got the coolest Arrowcar ever.

Anyway, Mr. McQueen is on the run thanks to the Citizen in this EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW brought to you by Julie Benson and Shawna Benson, Javier Fernandez, John Kalisz and the rest of the DC crew.

GA_44_1-580x892.jpg

GA_44_2-580x892.jpg

GA_44_3-580x892.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-08-28-at-7.29.11-PM.png 

Edited by tv echo

I'd take a cool car on Arrow if it meant we got some daylight shots.  Actually, any car chase that didn't involve the van would be great. I wonder if car chases are too expensive for Arrow?  Not like we really ever get them. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Interesting review of the latest GA issue...

GREEN ARROW #44: (W)RECKLESS YOUTH?
Cody White   Sep. 14, 2018
https://comic-watch.com/comic-book-reviews/green-arrow-44-wreckless-youth

Now targeted by the enigmatic Citizen, Oliver is on a mission to evade the throngs of citizens who want to see him held accountable while also attempting to protect the newest victims on Citizen’s hitlist. Citizen reveals a skeleton in Ollie’s closet that Ollie wasn’t even aware of—the death of a young woman by hit-and-run on a night in Ollie’s ill-spent youth that he was found driving drunk. Oliver has no time to cope with the news, however, as a woman’s life hangs in the balance of the twisted scales of justice imposed by Citizen. Oliver manages to save the woman and drive Citizen off into the night and delivers her into the hands of the US Justice System, only to return home guilt-ridden and adrift. Just as Oliver begins to put the day behind him, however, he is visited by a certain Big Blue Boy Scout requesting a chat.
The big question facing readers at this moment in the first arc from the Benson sisters is whether or not we believe Oliver is responsible for Nadia’s death. Depending on where you stand in relation to that question, the arc can be viewed in varying degrees of provocativeness. If Oliver is guilty, then the notion of White Privilege as extended to the immensely wealthy takes center stage in a unique and powerful way, however, if it comes out later that he is not guilty, but merely framed to look that way (likely positioning Citizen as somebody who knew Nadia in some capacity in either instance), then there seems to be the potential for this arc, through well-written and beautifully rendered, to be lost in the annals of history as “just standard comics fare.” The direction Julie and Shawna choose moving forward will certainly be a defining moment for their Green Arrow run, one way or the other. The potential here for a quietly ground-breaking arc is astounding, but I will reserve final judgment until I’ve seen where we’re going. I should note, though, that the dialogue is still exactly what you would expect based on the previous work of the writing duo in the best way possible, and it bears mentioning that Kate Spencer’s time as Manhunter, something that hasn’t really been addressed to this point (to my recollection), is hinted at in this issue.

Comic book sales figures have just been released for August 2018 - GA #43 was written by Shawna & Julie Benson, with art by Javier Fernandez...

August 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2018/2018-08.html

Units    Dollars    Comic-book Title        Issue    Price    On sale        Publisher        Est. unit
120         119         Green Arrow                43       $3.99    08/01/18        DC                   20,241

Edited by tv echo

DC has just released the synopsis for Green Arrow #47 (out Dec. 5, 2018), written by the Bensons, with art by German Peralta - it's the old, familiar "kidnap someone and do public broadcast of his execution" plot...

GREEN ARROW #47
U.S. Price: $3.99      ON SALE 12/5
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2016/green-arrow-47

Oliver Queen is in for the shock of his life—in the electric chair! The vigilante Citizen kidnaps Oliver and subjects him to the court of public opinion on a worldwide broadcast, and a guilty verdict means a death sentence. It’s up to Black Canary and attorney Kate Spencer to rescue Ollie so he can expose Citizen’s true identity and prove his own innocence. And they might even have a chance with a little help from Green Arrow…what the what now?

But at least (unlike Benjamin Percy) the Bensons admit that they've watched Arrow...

THE BENSON SISTERS ARE ON TARGET WITH GREEN ARROW
Ernie Estrella   Apr 10, 2018
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-benson-sisters-are-on-target-with-green-arrow

Where you did your research take you, what different mediums did you look at and where did you stop and think, "this is our playground."
Shawna: Arrow [is] a show we generally watch. But it is so different from the books... that we still had to revisit the original source material. We've read the Kevin Smith run, which had a fun and a joy to [it] that we were both attracted to.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Shawna: Arrow [is] a show we generally watch. But it is so different from the books... that we still had to revisit the original source material. We've read the Kevin Smith run, which had a fun and a joy to [it] that we were both attracted to.

See, that wasn't hard to do at all!  Just acknowledge that they ARE very different and take it from there.  Also, I got the implication that they watch Arrow for their own viewing enjoyment and have been doing so, not that they only recently hit it as an instructional manual for now writing the GA run.  

• Love 1

Here's an advance preview of Green Arrow #45 (written by the Bensons, art by Javier Fernandez), which is coming out this week (Oct 3) - it deals with the aftermath of what happened in Heroes In Crisis #1 (warning: spoilers below - also this entire thread is tagged "SPOILERS")...

Green Arrow Blames Justice League For Killing His Sidekick?
BY ANDREW DYCE – ON SEP 30, 2018
https://screenrant.com/green-arrow-comic-roy-harper-dead/

Green-Arrow-45-Comic-1.jpg?q=50&fit=crop

Green-Arrow-45-Comic-2.jpg?q=50&fit=crop

Green-Arrow-45-Comic-3.jpg?q=50&fit=crop

Green-Arrow-45-Comic-4.jpg?q=50&fit=crop

Green-Arrow-45-Comic-5.jpg?q=50&fit=crop 

Edited by tv echo

Review: CURSED COMICS CAVALCADE #1
October 10, 2018
http://www.comicosity.com/review-cursed-comics-cavalcade-1/

A creepy collection of ten spooky comics featuring characters from across the DC Universe, by superstar creatores, just in time for Halloween!

Cursed Comics Cavalcade #1 is a typically excellent DC seasonal anthology, this time celebrating Halloween with some creepy comics. Comics are limited to eight pages each, but each comic tells a complete self-contained story and does so with panache and amazing art.
The Green Arrow story, by Michael Moreci, Felipe Watanabe, Jonas Trindade, Romulo Fajardo Jr., and Deron Bennett is another potboiler, and, like the Swamp Thing story, is rescued by its beautiful art. The coloring, in particular, is delicate and well-matched. The story, about Green Arrow pursued by a monster during a heat wave in which he’s pushing himself too hard, has a fairly cliché resolution with no real twists and nothing we haven’t seen a dozen times before. Yet the monster is terrifyingly drawn and Ollie and Dinah’s expressions are full of emotion and life.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

GA #44 was written by Shawna & Julie Benson, with art by Javier Fernandez...

September 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops
October 15, 2018
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2018/2018-09.html

Units    Dollars    Comic-book Title    Issue    Price    On sale        Publisher        Est. units
119        123         Green Arrow             44       $3.99    09/05/18       DC                  18,667

To compare, here were the August 2018 sales numbers...

120         119        Green Arrow              43        $3.99    08/01/18       DC                20,241

Edited by tv echo

Well...it was good while it lasted....but the Bensons have been let go from Green Arrow/DC.

"As some of you have seen in the January 2019 comic solicitations, Shawna Benson and I are no longer writing a title for DC Comics," Julie Benson wrote on Facebook. "We’re sad to see our run on Green Arrow come to an end but are honored to have had the opportunity to write for this amazing legacy character."

The Benson sisters took over Green Arrow with August's #43, and their run will end now with December's #47.

"We had many more stories about Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Kate Spencer we were hoping to tell, but DC decided we were not the right fit for the book and informed us that they were going in another creative direction."

Writers Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly are solicited to begin on Green Arrow with January's #48, and the Bensons wish them well.

"We wish Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly the best on their run and have much love and appreciation for Javier Fernandez who continues to be one of the best artists in the business," said Benson. "Thank you to everyone who has read and appreciated our work, particularly the recent gut-wrenching issue #45. We are very proud of that book and on our entire runs of Green Arrow and Batgirl & the Birds of Prey for DC Comics."

With this, the Bensons say they are taking a hiatus from DC Comics and comic books entirely to focus on TV writing; Benson and Benson have penned episodes of Pemberley Digital’s Emmy-winning webseries, Emma Approvedand wrote on Seasons 3 through 5 of CW’s The 100.

https://www.newsarama.com/42402-bensons-comment-on-surprise-green-arrow-exit-and-decision-to-take-a-break-from-comics.html

The numbers were always going to drop.  They've been dropping steadily for a while.  They should just end the Green Arrow run rather than replace the Bensons after only a few months.  They'll have to end it eventually so why not do it now before the numbers get truly awful.

Here's the DC synopsis for Green Arrow #46 (on sale Nov. 7, 2018), written by Shawna Benson & Julie Benson, art by Javier Fernandez..
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2016/green-arrow-46

Green Arrow finds himself in the crosshairs and caught in a crossfire: on one side, would-be populist vigilante Citizen, who’s out to make the one percent pay. On the other, the citizens of Seattle, who mob Green Arrow wherever he goes. While Black Canary investigates Citizen’s real identity, Oliver’s corporate lawyer and confidant Kate Spencer deals with a free-falling Queen Industries. It’s not a good time to be Oliver Queen OR Green Arrow…until our hero becomes taken with an insane plan to thwart Citizen once and for all.

Here's the DC synopsis for Green Arrow #47 (on sale Dec. 5, 2018), written by Shawna Benson & Julie Benson, art by German Peralta...
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2016/green-arrow-47

Oliver Queen is in for the shock of his life—in the electric chair! The vigilante Citizen kidnaps Oliver and subjects him to the court of public opinion on a worldwide broadcast, and a guilty verdict means a death sentence. It’s up to Black Canary and attorney Kate Spencer to rescue Ollie so he can expose Citizen’s true identity and prove his own innocence. And they might even have a chance with a little help from Green Arrow…what the what now?

And here's the DC synopsis for Green Arrow #48 (on sale Jan. 9, 2019), written by Jackson Lanzing & Collin Kelly, art by Javier Fernandez...
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2016/green-arrow-48

Count Vertigo stages a jailbreak and turns Seattle into a surrealist maelstrom that threatens to consume the entire city. But when Ollie learns Vertigo’s true motivations, the Emerald Archer’s fragile psyche will be ripped to shreds. Is Ollie throwing himself into the hero game because of a death wish? Not if Black Canary has anything to sing about it.

Edited by tv echo

It’s up to Black Canary and attorney Kate Spencer to rescue Ollie so he can expose Citizen’s true identity and prove his own innocence.

Is Ollie throwing himself into the hero game because of a death wish? Not if Black Canary has anything to sing about it.

Is it just me or is there a lot of Black Canary rescuing Oliver Queen going on?

• Love 1