Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

A few reviews of Green Arrow #46...

Weird Science:

Really though, this just feels really uninspired.  The characterization isn't really there.  Our heroes feel like just generic versions of themselves, while the people of Seattle just seem like it doesn't take much to get them to rise to violence all because the story demands it and nothing else.  One of the biggest problems in this and a lot of comics though is, Green Arrow lets the villain just get away and that drives me nuts because there's no reason for it except that the arc demands more issues and because of what Ollie claims afterwards, it just leads to a let down of a cliffhanger that you know isn't what it seems.
I enjoyed the art in this issue enough, but everything else just feels really forced, generic and rushed and that's not what I want out of my Green Arrow books.  Hopefully now that we got this issue something can come together to make this arc into something special by the next, but by what I've seen so far, it doesn't seem like the Bensons have the best grasp on this character and generic is all we'll get.

GeekDad:

Ray: The last solicitations revealed that this run is ending shortly, with Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly taking over in January. That makes this “Run” all of one arc, and it’s not hard to see why. The Citizen plotline has been a complete mess and Green Arrow #46 only makes it more so. For the first two issues (before last month’s odd break for a tie-in with Heroes in Crisis), Citizen seemed like a militant vigilante who kidnapped and killed billionaires with dark secrets. He even supposedly exposed Oliver as a drunk-driver who killed a woman.

As this issue begins, though, he’s shifted tactics to inciting violence against random members of the 1%, tarring them all as guilty. This makes him a convenient political strawman for the characters to rail against, making this story little more than an Occupy-influenced redo of the last time the Bensons decided to get into politics – the awkward Batgirl and the Birds of Prey story arc about an evil feminist cult engineering a virus to kill all men.

The problem is, it’s not compelling to watch superheroes rail against political strawmen. Yes, they’re right – we shouldn’t poison billions of people based on gender or murder random businessmen on the street, but those aren’t positions held by any reasonable person. It’s just not engaging, and the story further muddies the water with the reveal that Ollie didn’t, in fact, kill anyone while driving drunk – he wasn’t even driving, and Citizen has been engaged in an elaborate campaign to frame him so he can carry out another public execution.

So Citizen isn’t even a strawman lunatic who just believes all rich people are guilty, he’s a psycho who is willing to frame innocent people. The only thing worse than a political story full of caricatures is a political story that doesn’t even seem to have a consistent point of view. Given how good the previous Green Arrow run was, this arc has been deeply disappointing and I’m hoping the character can find his feet again soon.
Corrina: Notice Ray didn’t talk much about the supporting cast? Because they’re barely in this. Instead of dealing with any emotional fallout from Roy’s death, we (and the characters) jump back into this current GA plot of the Citizen who wants to execute the one percent.
I’ll also allow that they might have been heavily influenced by an Arrow television arc which had a villain with basically the exact same motivation and many of the same methods.

But the Benson’s problem with pacing, in which a story spools out information carefully, leading to a conclusion that fits, is still in evidence. That causes the issue that Ray noted, meaning an inconsistent villain motivation via a plot point that basically contradicted another plot point from the last issue, without much foundation.

Sequential Planet:

I like this issue, that should be said. The problems I have with it, I feel, are only present because of the writers leaving. Because the Benson sisters are leaving (kind of soon), a lot happens in this issue. We learn who the Citizen is, find proof of Oliver Queen’s innocence, and there’s also a kidnapping. By themselves, these things are all fine, and I’m sure they would happen anyway, but it feels a little rushed. I was never thinking Oliver Queen would go to prison, but it’s cool to see he’s willing to go, believing he is guilty. The Citizen’s Identity is revealed, and it lines up with what he’s doing. His motives aren’t outright explained, but the dots are easy to connect.
The art is my favorite part of this issue. Early on, there’s a cool panel of Green Arrow and Black Canary jumping over a balcony. Green Arrow is one of my favorite characters, and I’m a sucker for shots like that. German Peralta’s art, combined with John Kalisz’s colors are a great look for Green Arrow. Except at night, Green Arrow and Black Canary really pop, compared to everyone else. The panels showing action are great. I really like this style for Green Arrow.

Edited by tv echo

HAL & OLLIE Reunion, More Diverse Universe in Morrison's GREEN LANTERN
By Vaneta Rogers   November 7, 2018 
https://www.newsarama.com/42654-grant-morrison-the-green-lantern-hal-s-life-on-other-planets-reunions-with-ollie-green-arrow.html

In this week’s The Green Lantern #1, Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp included a tease that promised the reunion of Hal Jordan and Green Arrow while also thrusting Hal into a cosmic murder mystery.
“But that’s his big guilt, is that he doesn’t hang out with people enough,” he continued. “Like, Green Arrow and Hal, they would go on road trips together for weeks on end and now he never sees Hal. So that’s the one piece of guilt that he has, that he has all these relationships and tries to keep the plates spinning. It’s like trying to keep your emails going and you’re failing miserably.

“I wanna play with a lot of the inversions of what was taken as the basis of their relationship back in the '70s, whereas in actual fact one guy's an unemployed toy salesman and the other guy's a millionaire who just lost his money, but he'll get it back again,” Morrison said.

“So I kind of want to invert a lot of the things, where suddenly, well, maybe Hal's the kind of left-wing guy, well, that doesn't make sense, maybe there's a bit of bullsh*t about Oliver Queen, and to do a kind of story which looks at a lot of the issue-style comics, the relevant comics and set it in the modern world, and just see these two clashing in very different ways and again, lots of angles that you may not expect,” he said. “It's to dig in deep to that relationship, which I've always loved, but to play with different aspects of it.”

Edited by tv echo

Some sloppiness in this month's report - I believe the GA issue # is supposed to be Green Arrow #45 (not Green Arrow #4), which was a Heroes In Crisis tie-in issue (which might explain the bump in sales)...

October 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2018/2018-10.html

Units    Dollars    Comic-book Title    Issue    Price    On sale        Publisher        Est. units
66          70           Green Arrow              4         $3.99    10/03/18        DC                 34,241

To compare, here were the September 2018 figures:

119          123       Green Arrow             44        $3.99    09/05/18        DC                18,667

Edited by tv echo

A couple of reviews of Green Arrow #47...

GREEN ARROW #47 REVIEW
By Nick Friar  December 4, 2018
https://thegww.com/green-arrow-47-review/

How in world did Green Arrow’s get-up fit Black Canary so well? It’s just not believable. You give me a superhero who can fight criminals with a supersonic screech, I’m buying it. A vigilante keeping the peace in a major city in the US with the use of a bow and arrows totally could see how that would work. But there’s no shot Oliver Queen’s outfit fits Dinah Lance like a glove. She’s fit and all, but he’s kind of built a bit larger than her.

Anyways, Black Canary stole the show to start the issue, even though Green Arrow received all the credit. Most important in all of it, they took down that lunatic, Citizen. Unfortunately, that led to a very on the nose moment with Green Arrow where he went full-on political.
Which is probably why Green Arrow wants everyone to drop the “woe is me” act. If you care about a cause and want to fight for it, do so in as effective a manner as possible. Don’t just create chaos to ruin everything for everyone because you aren’t where you want to be.
Green Arrow #47 saw an end to quite a few things, with the trial ending recently and the ninth circle stuff seemingly in the rearview. Oliver has a lot to deal with in the aftermath, but things could go anywhere from here.

Green Arrow #47 Review
Eric Shea   December 5, 2018
https://www.weirdsciencedccomics.com/2018/12/green-arrow-47-review.html

It's last call for the Bensons on this book and the finale to their Citizen's Arrest arc and while I haven't been a fan of this story, I do hold out hope that this issue could bring it all around and make it into something worthwhile.  Mostly, I just feel bad that their story was high jacked because Roy Harper died and they were forced to do a funeral issue out of nowhere.  In our previous issue, we saw Oliver Queen kidnapped by The Citizen so that the villain could put him on public trial and determine whether or not he deserved to live.  Let's jump into this issue and see how Green Arrow overcomes and whoops the Citizen's ass.  Let's check it out.
As for the story itself and the defeat of the Citizen...... Well, it was all wrapped up pretty quickly in a silly manner to get Black Canary involved and it feels like it could have been handled a bit better if we didn't have to work on the social commentary and the victory lap angles of this issue.  What we essentially get is a villain that feels really weak and leaves you wondering how the hell it took Green Arrow this long to catch him because by the end he was just a big nothing and didn't come off as all that much of a threat.......... actually the real threat here seems to be how the citizens of Seattle can be manipulated into violence.
All in all the art in this issue is strong, but the situations were lacking and silly at times and felt forced from the get go.  Yeah, I really got into the Green Arrow tells you how it is/victory lap moment, but I can see how it won't be for everyone and in the long run I hope that the next writers can do something fun with Oliver Queen because this series has been struggling in my mind lately and I'd like it to become something that I look forward to again.

Edited by tv echo

Another review of the Bensons' last GA issue...

Review – Green Arrow #47: Citizen’s Verdict
Posted on December 5, 2018 by Ray Goldfield •
https://geekdad.com/2018/12/review-green-arrow-47-citizens-verdict/

Ray: ... Despite the complete disaster of a villain, who gets the embarrassing end he deserves, this issue actually works a little better than the previous ones in the arc. That’s because the Benson sisters (in their finale on the title) put the focus back on Black Canary and her relationship with Green Arrow. There’s a fun section in the early going where Dinah impersonates Green Arrow to rescue Oliver Queen and the two do a hasty costume swap behind the scenes. In those moments, you can see the Green Arrow run that could have been in this arc – a story of a fully functional superhero couple and a male hero with major flaws who is trying to improve himself. Oliver trying to come to terms with his awful past isn’t a bad idea, but Citizen was just a bad way to do that, given his relentless lies and mock trials. A good villain can save a run, but a bad one can kill it. Oh, well – onward and upward, as Lanzing and Kelly are jumping on this book next issue.
Corrina: I was pleasantly surprised at the Dinah/Ollie teamwork this issue and the writing of Dinah overall. She’s been portrayed erratically since losing her own book a few years back, not written nearly as well as I believe she should. It’s nice to see a story that does well by her. I’ll give the Benson credit for that, certainly.

It’s not their fault that the courtship of this version of Dinah and Ollie was basically nil back in Percy’s run and that this version is basically coasting on the memory of their relationship in other stories. Still, the lack of a base for their relationship remains a flaw every time I read stories with this version of them working together. Perhaps because Ollie himself, despite having his own book, remains opaque to me. (Though Ollie wondering how people voted was a nice touch.)

Eh, Citizen reminded me of the villain from a season of Arrow that was making people vote whether his captives should live or die. Not very interesting, no, but I was less bothered that than Ray. Overall, the finale of this creative team taunts us with what might have been.

Edited by tv echo

November 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops
Estimated Comics Shipped to North American Comics Shops
Based on Reports from Diamond Comic Distributors
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2018/2018-11.html

Units      Dollars    Comic-book Title    Issue    Price      On sale       Publisher        Est. units
113         114           Green Arrow            46       $3.99      11/07/18      DC                   18,808

Edited by tv echo
46 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Or maybe they want to do a Birds of Prey run instead

Birds of Prey was cancelled earlier this year.  DC will probably just move Green Arrow and Black Canary into guest roles and appearances in the remaining runs.  I'm pulling for a Dinah appearance in the Catwoman story at some point and I'm sure we'll see her in Batgirl to do BFF things with Babs.

The Rebirth run was solid, and those who read it seemed to enjoy it, but I think it's more that Green Arrow isn't as popular long term as the Trinity and other runs.  He can sell comics for a while but then the numbers die off and DC would rather put their resources into their bigger characters and stories.  It's fairly common practice.

• Love 3

Birds of Prey will probably relaunch in late 2019 right before the new movie comes out and I'd say that Green Arrow will probably relaunch in like 3 months or so, or they'll do Green Arrow & Black Canary title. Supergirl will probably be getting yet another relaunch in a couple of months as well.

1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

The Rebirth run was solid, and those who read it seemed to enjoy it, but I think it's more that Green Arrow isn't as popular long term as the Trinity and other runs.  He can sell comics for a while but then the numbers die off and DC would rather put their resources into their bigger characters and stories.  It's fairly common practice.

Just put Geoff Johns on it for his usual "_____:Rebirth" and it would probably draw a good crowd. 

17 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Birds of Prey was cancelled earlier this year.  DC will probably just move Green Arrow and Black Canary into guest roles and appearances in the remaining runs.  I'm pulling for a Dinah appearance in the Catwoman story at some point and I'm sure we'll see her in Batgirl to do BFF things with Babs.

Ah, I see! I didn't know that. 

As someone who'd never heard of GA or BC before this show, putting them in guest roles makes sense to me. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

For a long time it seemed there was a cry of "if only they went back to their roots and made GA and BC a couple again in the comics then GA would be super popular."   Sure, some enjoyed it, but it's gratifying to me that no, this isn't some magical pairing that is some huge draw that turned everything around and launched GA into the stratosphere.  

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I believe it's been a steady title since Nu52 launched in 2011.  Looking at Wikipedia it's been a steady run since 2001 (with a 3 month break when they dropped the GA solo title and launched the CA and BC title). The prior run appears to have been 1988 to 1998.

To me this seems like a big deal but, I dropped comics a couple years back and, was more a Marvel than DC reader.

Edited by Morrigan2575
3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

For a long time it seemed there was a cry of "if only they went back to their roots and made GA and BC a couple again in the comics then GA would be super popular."   Sure, some enjoyed it, but it's gratifying to me that no, this isn't some magical pairing that is some huge draw that turned everything around and launched GA into the stratosphere.  

I dont remember seeing people being all "it would make him super popular" just that the character works better with BC, its even something the top people at DC have talked about.  But every comic couple from Spiderman/Mary Jane, Supes/Lois, etc.. have been broken up and titles sold just fine so of course it wouldnt be any different with these two.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I believe it's been a steady title since Nu52 launched in 2011.  Looking at Wikipedia it's been a steady run since 2001 (with a 3 month break when they dropped the GA solo title and launched the CA and BC title). The prior run appears to have been 1988 to 1998.

To me this seems like a big deal but, I dropped comics a couple years back and, was more a Marvel than DC reader.

They could also be relaunching it for all we know, when solicits come out for March/April we'll see. 

Why would they relaunch a GA/BC title when the GA Rebirth run has essentially been a GA/BC title in everything but the name and hasn’t held its audience? 

GA/GL team up would make more sense, especially since the throwaway line to Digg in the crossover about the ring might actually become something in the future.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Why would they relaunch a GA/BC title when the GA Rebirth run has essentially been a GA/BC title in everything but the name and hasn’t held its audience? 

GA/GL team up would make more sense, especially since the throwaway line to Digg in the crossover about the ring might actually become something in the future.

Relaunches tend to put a bandaid on sales for awhile and if they have a bigger creative team in mind....wouldnt put it past them. Its like Marvel constantly starting over with #1s and doing "Amazing" "Extreme" "Uncanny" 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Sorry I meant relaunch the GA solo title. 

55 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I dont remember seeing people being all "it would make him super popular" just that the character works better with BC, its even something the top people at DC have talked about.  But every comic couple from Spiderman/Mary Jane, Supes/Lois, etc.. have been broken up and titles sold just fine so of course it wouldnt be any different with these two.

I was hearing it during the time when GA had no ties to BC and vice versa during the current story being told at the time when Arrow was introduced and then had been on air for a few years.  (Many of us watching Arrow kept pointing out that no, BC and GA couldn't be that much of a requirement for the characters since at the time neither were a love interest for the other or had any actual history at that time in the modern comic run)  So then when they waved their wand and dropped her into his story and it was a blip that really made little long term difference in the readership, well, that's something I noted.  Interestingly one of the complaints I read about the most recent series since they'd added in BC was that her addition came without any substantive storyline when it came to the foundation to their relationship.  She was just basically poofed back into place and they blamed universal shenanigans.  (I'm drawn to you!  I'm drawn to you!  We should be together!  Ok!)

I just don't think in the long term it's a very satisfying story.  

Edited by BkWurm1
28 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Since they dropped it due to poor/lack of sales I don't know why they would then relaunch it in a couple of months if they've decided it's not profitable for them. 

They relaunch the title with a new creative team.  It gets treated like a new title starts with #1 which gives readers an opportunity to get in from the beginning.

I'm not saying that's what they're doing but, it wouldn't be unheard of. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I was hearing it during the time when GA had no ties to BC and vice versa during the current story being told.  (Those of us watching Arrow kept pointing out that no, BC and GA couldn't be that much of a requirement for the characters since at the time neither were a love interest for the other or had any actual history at that time in the modern comic run)  So then when they waved their wand and dropped her into his story and it was a blip that really made little long term difference in the readership, well, that's something I noted.  Interestingly one of the complaints I read about the most recent series since they'd added in BC was that her addition came without any substantive storyline.  She was just basically poofed back into place and they blamed universal shenanigans.  

I just don't think in the long term it's a very satisfying story.  

That's some of DC for you (and comics in general). Even a high profile title such as Batman tried to condense all of his history and 4 Robins into 5 years and Rebirth just keeps getting messier.

Green Arrow Comic Cancelled, But Oliver Queen Is Busy In 2019
December 30, 2018   JAY
https://dccomicsnews.com/2018/12/30/green-arrow-comic-cancelled-but-oliver-queen-is-busy-in-2019/

The 50th issue of the current volume of the Green Arrow comic may be its last, as confirmed by co-writer Jackson Lanzing, but don’t count out The Emerald Archer yet.

In recent months, Oliver Queen has become entrenched in much of the current problems of the DC Universe, starting with the limited series Justice League: No Justice. Entrusted with a box by The Martian Manhunter which contains the means to incapacitate The Justice League, the right-wing social crusader was placed in a pivotal yet clandestine role in the pantheon. Then, as of the events of Heroes in Crisis, his former protege Roy Harper was murdered, and he had been tempted to use the box during Roy’s funeral in outrage at Superman and company’s attempts to console him.

Struggling with grief and armed with a powerful weapon, the writers have made Oliver the wild card in the coming year’s events, which is probably why his current series was axed.

Stay tuned to see what target The Green Arrow aims at in 2019….

Edited by tv echo

Apparently Green Arrow and Black Canary are in Heroes in Crisis #4 (released today)...

Review: HEROES IN CRISIS #4
MIchael Hale   January 2, 2019
http://www.comicosity.com/review-heroes-in-crisis-4/

The art is also especially beautiful and deserves special focus here. While Clay Mann’s work has always been noted for its beauty, this issue seems to serve as a model for some of his best work in a long time. From the beauty of Harley and Barbara embracing to Green Arrow looking out over the sea at sunset, Mann is clearly both inspired and firing on all cylinders.

Review – Heroes in Crisis #4: Sanctuary Exposed?
Posted on January 2, 2019 by Ray Goldfield 
https://geekdad.com/2019/01/review-heroes-in-crisis-4-sanctuary-exposed/

Ray: ... Batgirl’s role in this issue is interesting – I could have done without the gratuitous shots of her bullet wound scars, but her determination to find Harley before Batman does is very much in character. Black Canary threatening to kill both Harley and Booster and let God sort it out is…not good. The issue briefly comes to life when Blue Beetle – the original – shows up to rescue Booster from prison so they can get some answers, but overall we get no closer to them this issue. It’s just a bunch of scattered character moments, some which work and some which very much do not.
Corrina: I have other questions than Ray. The biggest one: why are the women so sexualized in a series about trauma?  There’s no question Mann draws a lovely Lois Lane. But why the pinup? Then there’s the crotch shot of Black Canary, and, even worse, there’s the lovely butt shot of Batgirl, so she can show off the bullet wound in her spine, but it simply looks like an excuse for a sexualized butt-shot. (I stopped counting Harley Quinn butt close-ups at three.)

ETA: This "Corrina" is Corrina Lawson, who is a founding editor of GeekMom.com (she doesn't write for Space.ca, as far as I can tell - see Starling City Times thread for reference).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

DC Comics' Top 10 Moments From 2018
by Renaldo Matadeen – on Jan 01, 2019
https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-top-10-moments-from-2018/

7: GREEN ARROW'S POWER-UP
Green-Arrow-9.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

OK, it's not a power-up, technically, but rather an upgrade to Green Arrow's arsenal. But it's the biggest someone in the DCU could ask for. In Justice League: No Justice #4, Oliver Queen was given a mysterious box by Martian Manhunter for serving Earth's last line of defense -- a reward for his bravery. However, little did the archer know what it contained.

J'onn J'onzz revealed the boxes contents can take out literal gods, providing a fail-safe against the Justice League, should the team ever go too far. Ollie was reluctant to accept the "gift," but he understood that if his more powerful peers were mind-controlled or otherwise turned evil, he'd need to take them down. He accepted the responsibility, more or less becoming the most powerful hero around, which could bite the Justice League in its collective butt after Ollie become incensed following the death of Roy Harper.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Green Arrow has always been c list or 2nd tier superhero. He is essentially a poor man's Batman. His comic book sales have always been erratic which is why he has been teamed up with A list superheroes like Batman, Green Lantern, and The Flash. I think DC has hoped that CW's Arrow would help rejuvenate Green Arrow's comic book sales, but it hasn't worked because the tv show has a different audience than the comics. However, they will likely continue to team him up with other superheroes to keep him active until they come up with another idea for him.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Heroes In Crisis #4 Review: Overwhelming! 
Ben Wolf January 4, 2019
http://thathashtagshow.com/2019/01/04/heroes-in-crisis-4-review-overwhelming/

The interview panels continue to be a great part of this series.  Not only is it showing us the incredible line up of heroes that have used Sanctuary, but each responds when it comes time to bare their souls.  This issue we get Donna Troy, Batgirl, Back [sic] Canary and Blue Beetle. 

Donna might as well be doing a dissertation on the city of Troy and whether it existed or not.  Batgirl’s confession is silent but speaks volumes.  She begins removing articles of her outfit.  About the time you start to wonder where this is going you get the emotional whammy.  Batgirl shows the bullet holes from when Joker shot her.  Black Canary lasts all of barely 3 frames before she says “Ah, $%@# this” and walks out.  Finally. Blue Beetle lays out his relationship with Booster.  Blue will do anything for the friend that is always there for him.  Each of these testimonies really lays out the personalities of the super heroes.
The single page of Green Arrow seems a bit out of place, which means they are simply trying to show the attitudes of fellow heroes, or Arrow will have a roll [sic] to play in the near future.  Given his statement, it won’t be a positive involvement. 

Edited by tv echo

Green Arrow #48 (written by Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly, art by Javier Fernandez) will be released tomorrow (Jan. 9) - here's the synopsis and an advance preview...

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2016/green-arrow-48

Count Vertigo stages a jailbreak and turns Seattle into a surrealist maelstrom that threatens to consume the entire city. But when Ollie learns Vertigo’s true motivations, the Emerald Archer’s fragile psyche will be ripped to shreds. Is Ollie throwing himself into the hero game because of a death wish? Not if Black Canary has anything to sing about it.

http://www.freaksugar.com/exclusive-preview-green-arrow-48/
GA_48_1-666x1024.jpg

GA_48_2-666x1024.jpg

GA_48_3-666x1024.jpg

GA_48_4-666x1024.jpg 
GA_48_5-666x1024.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Review – Green Arrow #48: Total Vertigo
Posted on January 9, 2019 by Ray Goldfield 
https://geekdad.com/2019/01/review-green-arrow-48-total-vertigo/

Ray: After several short-run creative teams on this book, Green Arrow is ending in only two months with the anniversary issue as the characters head off in a new direction to be determined. But the final act of this title is looking promising as writing team Lanzing and Kelly return for a second arc with Green Arrow #48. After the mess of the previous arc, which tried to combine tie-ins with two events and a politically centered story, this arc is getting back to basics. Bringing in one of Green Arrow’s most iconic villains in Count Vertigo, it also firmly grounds the issue in the relationship between Ollie and Black Canary. Ollie is still in a rough place following all his personal setbacks – starting with his sister leaving town (which still hasn’t been fully explained) and ending with Roy’s death at Sanctuary. The dynamic between Dinah and Ollie as she tries to get him to cope in a healthier way feels genuine and lived-in, a rarity for superhero relationships.
Corrina: It is one of the better Green Arrow issues in a while, simply because the relationship between Dinah and Ollie feels layered and complicated, rather than just…there. Lanzing and Kelly had a good handle on Dinah in their terrific Gotham City Garage, so I’m not surprised by this, but, sadly, it’s probably too little, too late for the overall title. (Still, good issues at the end are preferable to bad issues.)

The Dinah/Ollie relationship problem goes back to when Ben Percy basically presented their relationship as a fait accompli, without any courtship or relationship arc. Otto Schmidt’s art definitely made Percy’s issues worth reading but I was never as pleased with them as Ray was.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Here are the synopses for the upcoming FINAL two issues of Green Arrow (written by Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly, art by Javier Fernandez)...

Green Arrow #49 (on sale Feb. 6):
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2016/green-arrow-49

The city of Seattle has been weaponized against Green Arrow in a mind-bending cataclysm! Trapped inside Count Vertigo’s psychotic maze, Green Arrow, Black Canary and Indigo Riot have no escape—and no way to appease the villain’s impossible demands! The key may come from Oliver Queen’s past—but can Green Arrow face his own grief and emerge unbowed? This issue features a shocking ending that will set the stage for the future of GREEN ARROW!

Green Arrow #50 (on sale Mar. 6):
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/green-arrow-2016/green-arrow-50

Spinning out of the events of JUSTICE LEAGUE: NO JUSTICE and HEROES IN CRISIS! When a black ops organization discovers Green Arrow’s long-held secret—a mysterious weapon in the form of a box, given to him by the Justice League—they’ll deploy their top undercover agent: Black Canary! On opposite sides of this festering secret, Green Arrow and Black Canary will clash as only two lovers can—by aiming straight for the heart! A mystery six months in the making, the box that can destroy the Justice League will be opened…and the Emerald Archer’s world will be forever changed. This extra-sized anniversary issue of Green Arrow’s life isn’t just ending…it’s burning to the ground!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Dec. 2018 comic book sales numbers were just released - GA #47 was the last issue written by Shawna Benson & Julie Benson (which might explain why there's a small uptick in sales from the previous month)...

December 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2018/2018-12.html

Units    Dollars    Comic-book Title    Issue    Price    On sale    Publisher        Est. units
100        103          Green Arrow            47       $3.99    12/05/18    DC                   18,951

To compare, here were the  Nov. 2018 sales numbers:
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2018/2018-11.html

113        114          Green Arrow            46         $3.99    11/07/18     DC              18,808

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 1/2/2019 at 7:02 PM, SimoneS said:

I think DC has hoped that CW's Arrow would help rejuvenate Green Arrow's comic book sales, but it hasn't worked because the tv show has a different audience than the comics. However, they will likely continue to team him up with other superheroes to keep him active until they come up with another idea for him.

Well, they refuse to have some congruence between the comics and Tv/Movies, then they dont do much to advertise comics to TV/Movie audiences. Its like the comic book industry just loves to fail itself, they refuse to innovate and wont give up their bad business habits. 

Good, comics should have shorter runs and JL is always a step up.

JMO. 

Edited by WonderArtist

EXCLUSIVE: Brad Meltzer Reflects On The Lessons Of DC's Identity Crisis
by Kiel Phegley – on Jan 24, 2019
https://www.cbr.com/interview-brad-meltzer-identity-crisis/

CBR: While we were discussing your most recent non-fiction thriller, The First Conspiracy, you brought up how your comics career began with a run on Green Arrow, and it's been quite some time since you made your comics debut following Kevin Smith.
Yeah, they brought me in because Kevin had made that their #1 superhero book, and if they gave it to another comic book writer, everyone would go, "What happened to Kevin Smith?" But if they gave it to a novelist, they'd say, "What does DC know that I don't?" It was a total ploy to get people to read the book, and thanks to Kevin's kindness, I got a chance.
I don't know how much time you spend reflecting on your own history, but considering that milestone, it's very strange to look at that book as a precursor to a lot of the ways superhero graphic novels are sold today. That's the first collection I have a memory of seeing the author's name on the top of the cover, as big as the title. It looked like one of your thrillers more so than an average DC book. What's your memory of the push to make this thing so different?
It's interesting. People always ask me how I make best-selling books. And what I say is that a bestseller is like catching lightning in a bottle – the only way it works is if everything happens at once. You have to have a good book – that goes without saying – but you also need a great cover and a great marketing plan. And you also need a publicity plan and getting the press to weigh in with good reviews. And then the sales team has to place the book at the front of the store. It's just everything needs to happen at exactly that moment. Wonderful books have been written that never get that chance.
For me, I remember that Green Arrow was this wonderful move by [then DC editor] Bob Shreck to bring in someone new. Comics weren't as cool as they are now. Kevin was a big get for them. I remember when back in the day, the screenwriter Sam Hamm did an arc for Detective Comics and it was like "Oh my God! A screenwriter is writing a comic!" But really no one outside of comics wrote for comics. Kevin said he wanted to do it, and then I was the next guy through the door because I love this world. I think Green Arrow, it worked for myself and DC realized that we could then do something even bigger.

• Love 1

CBR: While we were discussing your most recent non-fiction thriller, The First Conspiracy, you brought up how your comics career began with a run on Green Arrow, and it's been quite some time since you made your comics debut following Kevin Smith.
Yeah, they brought me in because Kevin had made that their #1 superhero book,nd if they gave it to another comic book writer, everyone would go, "What happened to Kevin Smith?"

Wait, is he saying GA was once DC's #1 superhero book, at one point, in history,... that would be so schway if true😃. 

@Tvecho - an interesting interview, thanks for link👍. 

Edited by WonderArtist
  • Love 1

Green Arrow #49 (written by Jackson Lanzing & Collin Kelly, art by Javier Fernandez) is on sale this Wednesday (Feb. 6) - this is the second to last issue...

EXCLUSIVE Preview: GREEN ARROW #49
Posted By Dan Greenfield on Feb 2, 2019 
https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-preview-green-arrow-49/

Ollie and Dinah are in the clutches of Count Vertigo, who’s using Seattle itself against them as the series heads toward its Issue #50 finale.

GA_Cv49-580x880.jpg

GA_49_1-580x892.jpg

GA_49_2-580x892.jpg

GA_49_3-580x892.jpg

GA_49_4-5.jpg

GA_49_6-580x892.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Review – Green Arrow #49: Vertigo in Star City
Posted on February 6, 2019 by Ray Goldfield
https://geekdad.com/2019/02/review-green-arrow-49-vertigo-in-star-city/

Ray: As Green Arrow gets ready to wrap up its current run, returning guest writers Lanzing and Kelly have delivered a tense and exciting penultimate arc lifted a lot by the brilliant art of Javier Fernandez. The villain of choice is Count Vertigo, arguably the most famous Arrow-exclusive villain and one that demands an artist with the ability to get a little inventive and surreal. When we last left off, Vertigo had returned with new, enhanced powers that he gained during his time in solitary confinement – but he wasn’t there for Green Arrow or Black Canary. He was there for the recently deceased Roy Harper, who he had a mysterious long-hidden grudge against. The issue is heavy on flashbacks, showing how Roy and Ollie’s friendship developed over the years – and fell apart when Roy slipped into drug use. The detail that Roy designed Ollie’s trick arrows is a nice touch, and they come into play as Ollie battles to get back his footing in Vertigo’s surreal cityscape.

The plot is a little basic – heroes run from Vertigo’s tricks until they catch up to him and beat him up. New heroine Riot, introduced the last issue, doesn’t play a big role and I suspect she’ll be headed off to limbo once this series ends. But Javier Fernandez’s work on this issue is among the best of his career – particularly one fantastic perspective-defying splash page. The reveal that Vertigo doesn’t have a grudge against Arsenal – he has a grudge against Roy Harper from when they were both fallen junkies – is easily the most clever detail of the issue and really gives this issue some nice emotional punch. This is ultimately a story about Ollie’s failings and the apologies he’ll never get to make to his best friend. That part works really well. The cliffhanger – involving Dinah being drafted by the government to take out Green Arrow because of the Justice League secret he holds – is just odd and I’m not seeing how next issue will wrap it up in a satisfactory fashion.
Corrina: This is really a story not only about Oliver Queen and his strengths as a hero but it’s also an effective tribute to Roy Harper, a man with his own set of problems who yet, despite that, also became a hero. It’s also about all the unfinished between Oliver and Roy. It shows how heroes can be flawed people but also that flawed people can still be heroes.

In doing so, the story contrasts Ollie’s faith in his cause and Dinah’s faith in Ollie, with Count Vertigo’s utter lack of faith in who he is. I never thought much about Vertigo’s name, as it came from his powers, and his ability to turn the world topsy-turvy.

But in this story, it seems like his name is a symbol for who he is: a man forever off-balance who cannot find solid ground. And what a great job Fernandez does showing that symbolically in how the world swirls around Vertigo, forever in turmoil.

Edited by tv echo

How GREEN ARROW #50 Went From a New Beginning to a Series Ending
By Chris Arrant, Editor  February 7, 2019 
https://www.newsarama.com/43810-green-arrow-50-finale.html

March 6's Green Arrow #50 will be the series' finale, but recently-minted series writers Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly originally thought it was going to be the beginning of a "long run" - with over 50 issues' worth of plans. In a Twitter thread, Lanzing explains that the series was abruptedly canceled as the two were writing the first issue - and gives an 'inside baseball' perspective to how it all happened.

"As our short run on Green Arrow heads to its conclusion - and the last issue of the series - with issue #50, I wanna tell you a story," Lanzing tweeted. "I’m gonna try to be blunt about process on a superhero book. Let’s get our thread on and talk about writing in a shared universe."

Lanzing tweeted that he and Kelly were hired by DC with the intent for a long run on the series, to the point where the duo outlined 50 issues beginning with Green Arrow #48.

"The powers that be supported us, editorial helped us shape it. We were building an engine of new, weird ideas shaded by our social and political reality," Lanzing wrote. "But before we got into any of our particular madness, it was important that we acknowledge the stories that brought us to our first issue. After all, we weren’t starting at #1 - we were starting at issue #48. The stories that came before mattered - to fans and to us."

The duo planned for #48 and #49 to process the events from the book's previous creators, as well as story elements from Heroes in Crisis and Justice League: No Justice. "We had hoped to end a chapter in that history book for the fans, before we went about writing the next one."

"But about halfway through the production of issue #48, the book was cancelled for a myriad of reasons - not the least of which were the needs of the larger universe," Lanzing tweeted, without going into detail. "To be clear: I don’t begrudge it at all. We consider ourselves lucky to have contributed at all to Green Arrow."

"Eventually the word came down: Issue #50 would not be the first proper issue of our run. It would be the last."

Working with DC editorial, Lanzing tweeted that he and Kelly revised their plans for #49 and #50 from opening a new era to closing an old one.

"So now we had a new goal: not to launch our own stories, but to properly end the one already in progress," tweeted Lanzing. "To take every thread we could - from Dinah’s past to Ollie’s future to the mysterious Box - and make them sing in harmony. To make it count."

"Point is: It was a hell of a challenge. But I learned something," he continued. "Nothing is ever dead, just transformed. Just because one story works doesn’t mean another can't. Kill your darlings can extend to literally your entire story and you’ll still be okay - it’s just clay. Reshape it."
DC hasn't announced any plans for a relaunched Green Arrow title.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Interesting speculation as to the GA Rebirth comics' possible effect on Arrow's storyline this season, but I'm skeptical...

Are we heading towards a Rebirth of ‘Arrow?’
How Arrow seems to be adapting Benjamin Percy’s comic’s storyline
Mary Strickson February 14, 2019
https://fanfest.com/2019/02/14/rebirth-of-arrow/

I don't buy into the spec about Emiko being some secret assassin there to take Oliver out or that Moira is alive.  But I do think at some point Oliver is going to have to fake his own death.  Or maybe that's just me desperately wanting a way out of him going public with his identity.  

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I don't buy into the spec about Emiko being some secret assassin there to take Oliver out or that Moira is alive.  But I do think at some point Oliver is going to have to fake his own death.  Or maybe that's just me desperately wanting a way out of him going public with his identity.  

If he did that wouldn't even be copying Percy's storyline.  Jeff Lemire did it during his run although, it was part of the future crossover storyline (Hero's End, I think).  Oliver faked his death on live TV, having Deathstroke kill him (although it was really an immortal shapeshifter that posed as Oliver).  

Also, if Oliver does fake his death, people called it long before Percy, there were talks back in S4 where we (I know I put it forward) said that Arrow would end similar to TDKR (because we all know they loved Nolan's Trilogies), with Oliver faking his death and running off to Europe with Felicity.

One final, thought there was a storyline from AJK at the start of the GA/BC comic title where Dinah "kills" Ollie on their honeymoon.  Although, it wasn't really Ollie it was that shapeshifter (from S1 Flash) that had taken Ollie's place during the wedding.  The bad guys that attacked the wedding used the distraction to kidnap the GA.

So yes, i agree Oliver may end up faking his death but, if he does it won't be because of Percy 😀

• Love 1